Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.
Comment: Migrated to Confluence 4.0
  • Category: (replace this text with one of the following categories: Administration/Budget, Board, ccTLD, gTLD, IP, ICANN Structure, International Agreement, Root Zone) gTLDs
  • Topic: (replace this text with a keywords from title) Public Interest Registry (PIR) RSEP request to implement Excess Deletions Fee service
  • Board meeting date: 22 November 2006
  • Resolution number: 06.84
  • URL for Board minutes/resolution: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-22nov06.htm
  • Status: (replace this text with: Completed, Ongoing, Suspended) Completed 

Summary
(replace this text with the a one-sentence summary of the resolution)

Text

Kurt Pritz presented the issues, RSTEP Report, and introduced the process relating to the proposed new registry service from PIR Registry relating to an excess deletion fee. Vanda Scartezini moved for a vote on the resolution to approved the service and Veni Markovski seconded.

The following comments were offered on the record relating to this matter:

Susan Crawford stated: "I'm glad to see that on the agenda for the Sao Paulo meeting, or at least being considered for the agenda for that meeting is a discussion of whether the board should request the GNSO to initiate a consensus policy process with respect to the five-day add grace period. The initiation of such a process doesn't indicate that we think a consensus is likely to emerge, but just that we want to ask the question about whether a mandatory global policy is necessary in this area."

Alejandro Pisanty stated: "I think there is much good in this measure. It attends to problems that are vexing to registrants in the noncommercial space, which is the actual dot org space. The practice that's going to be potentially abated is particularly damaging, because it turns to commercial use names that are, and expectations of the users that are, essentially, noncommercial in nature. So that for this community, I think, it's particularly a favorable agreement."

Veni Markovski stated: "I think since I'm on the board of ISOC and ISOC is the owner of the PIR, so I don't want to have any, like, even remote distance allusion that there is something in my vote. And the second is that I would like to see -- in the amendment of the dot org registry agreement to see some protection of misusage of this. I would be happy to talk to the PIR, and I will tell them what I have in mind. And I am happy to talk to the president and the general counsel about my abstention on this matter. But, basically, it is that somebody may be misusing this rule and cause damages to a legitimate registrar."

Board authorizes the President and General Counsel to enter into an amendment of the .ORG Registry Agreement to implement the proposed excess deletion fee service.

Text

Whereas, PIR is concerned about the growth of domain tasting in the .ORG registry, and has proposed a "restocking fee" on certain .ORG domain names deleted during the 5-day add-grace period.

Whereas, ICANN conducted its review of the request and determined that there are no significant competition, security or stability issues.

ResolvedRESOLVED, (06.84), the President and the General Counsel are authorized to enter into an amendment of the .ORG Registry Agreement to implement the proposed excess deletion fee service.

The resolution was approved 10-0 with one abstention by Veni Markovski. In addition to the board members who were not present during any of the meeting, Hagen Hultzsch and Rita Rodin were not present for the vote.

Implementation Actions

Implementation Actions

• Execute Registry Agreement (replace this text with specific Action Item)
    • Responsible entity: (replace this text with the responsible entity: ICANN department, ICANN Community Structure, Board, U.S. Department of Commerce)ICANN Staff
    • Due date: (replace this text with Due Date)Not specified
    • Completion date: (replace this text with Date action was implemented)
  • (replace this text with specific Action Item)
    • Responsible entity: (replace this text with the responsible entity: ICANN department, ICANN Community Structure, Board, U.S. Department of Commerce)
    • Due date: (replace this text with Due Date)
    • Completion date: (replace this text with Date action was implemented)

Other Related Resolutions

• (replace this text with links to related resolutions)

Additional Information

• 13 February 2007

Other Related Resolutions

• Board resolution 02.85, adopted 28 June 2002, authorizing staff to negotiate amendments to registry agreements to implement Redemption Grace Period proposal. 
  • Board resolution 03.141, adopted 19 August 2003, authorizing amendment of .ORG registry agreement to implement Redemption Grace Period proposal.
  • Board resolution 04.47, adopted 29 June 2004, authorizing amendment of .ORG registry agreement to allow deletion of names based on user and system performance:
  • Board resolution 2008.06.26.08, adopted 26 June 2008, approving PIR's proposal to implement DNSSEC in .ORG.
  • Other resolutions TBD.

Additional Information

Explanatory text does not modify or override Resolutions.  See Board Resolutions Page for more information.

Note: The "Add Comment" box below is for sharing information about implementation of this resolution. Off-topic comments will be removed.