Versions Compared

Key

  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.
Comment: Updated notes

...

Date: Monday, 21 October 2019

Time:

...

16:00 -

...

17:00 UTC (for the time in various time zones click here)  

How can I participate in this meeting? 

...

 **Zoom room:  https://icann.zoom.us/j/421072539

...

Participants:

EN: Eduardo Diaz, Dr. Ayaj Data , Adrian Schmidt, Benjamin Brotman, Gordon Chillcott, Jose Lebron, Alan Greenberg, Alfredo Calderon, Bill Jouris, Denise Hochbaum, John More, Karen Mulberry, Leah Symekher, Martia Moll, Pierre-Jean Darres, Susannah Gray, 

Apologies:   David Mackey, Judith Hellerstein, Dana Perry, Jonathan Zuck, Glenn McKnight

Staff: Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Joe CatapanoChris Mondini, Alperen Eken,  Claudia Ruiz

Call Management: TBDClaudia Ruiz

...

Summary Minutes:    

Action Topics: EN

Recording: EN

Zoom Recording: EN

Zoom Chat: EN    

Transcript: EN EN

...

AGENDA

...

1. Attendance (XX/52 - XX%)

This section is to record the meeting attendance.

ALS (Total 24 ::11CA/13US) - Attendance (

...

08/24 -

...

33%

yone#

ALS

REP

ALT

US

CA

1Pacific Community Networks Association/CAAllan SkuceBev Collins
X
2ISOC DC/USDustin LoupJohn More (P)X
3ISOC PR/PREduardo Díaz (P)Alfredo Calderón (P)X
4Canadian Association for Open Source (CLUE)/CAEvan Leibovitch Mathew Rice
X
5Foundation For Build. Sustainable Communities/CAGlenn McKnightRobert T Bell
X
6Greater Toronto Area Linux User Group/CAGordon Chillcott (P)Bill  Thanis
X
7Association of Internet Users/US :: ALAC 2017-19John LapriseCristina WilllardX
8ISOC NY/USGreg Shatan-X
9Capital Area Globetrotters/USJudith HellersteinLe-Marie ThompsonX
10Consumers Council of Canada/CA

Kenneth L. Whitehurst

Howard Dean
X
11ISOC CO/US

Karen Mulberry Mulberry (P)

-X
12ISOC SF/USLeah Symekher (P)Susannah Gray (P)X
13Native Public Media/USLoris TaylorElyse Dempsey
X
14Telecommunities Canada/CA Marita Moll (P)Garth Graham
X
15Communatique/CAMonique Chartrand -
X
16The IP/Tech. Section of the HI State Bar Assoc./USDavid MorrisDane AndersonX
17ISOC Quebec/CAPierre-Jean Darres Darres (P)Robert Castonguay
X
18ISOC Canada/CAShelley Robinson Murray McKercher 
X
19Connecting.nyc Inc./USThomas Lowenhaupt ( deceased)Robert PollardX
20Hispanic Educational Tech. Services (HETS)/PRYubelkys MontalvoYelixa CastroX
21Nova Scotia Community Access ProgramDana PerryErick Stackhouse
X
22At-Large North American Graduate Students/USDavid Cristian MorarAnna Cecile Loup X
23Alternatives, Inc.Michel LambertMyriam Cloutier
X
24Colegio de Ingenieros de Puerto RicoJosé Lebrón (P)Miguel BauzáX

For updates please contact Evin Erdoğdu, At-Large Staff.

...

RED = Under decertification

Unaffiliated (Total 27 :: 6CA/22US) Attendance (

...

04/28 -

...

14%

#

Name

US

CA

1Adrian Schmidt (P)
X
2Alan Greenberg (P)
X
3Bill Jouris (P)X
4Daniel WrightX
5David Mackey
X
6Denise de Alcantara-Hochbaum (P)X
7Endrias ZewdeX
8Edward HasbrouckX
9Javier Rúa Jovet X
10Jeongwon RyuX
11Jeremy PesnerX
12Joey Doyle
X
13Jonathan ZuckX
14Kevin FrazierX
15Kirstin DoanX
16Kristian Stout X
17Linda KaiserX
18Michelangelo De Simone
X
19Nat CohenX
20Nathalie CoupetX
21Philip RighterX
22Robert Guerra
X
23Robert JacobiX
24Roland YarbroughX
25Thomas W CampbellX
26Thomas StruettX
27Wes BoudvilleX
28William Cunningham X

...

This section is to record the approval of this meeting agenda and its discussion order. (00:01/00:01)

09 September21 October: approved.

3. Meeting Discussion Order 

Topic

Discussion


Lead

Allotted Time/Running Time

041

Introductory Remarks by NARALO Chair

→: To put the meeting in perspective  and bring-up anything of general interest to the membership:

  • Presentation
    • Universal Acceptance by Dr. Ajay Data
  • Request
    • 2020 Newsletter Editor
  • Update Reports
    • ATLAS III/NASIG updates
  • Universal Acceptance (UA)
      • FY20 NARALO Discretionary Funds
      • NARALO Policy Group Update
    Report 
  • Student Outreach by  the North American Graduate Students At-Large Structure
      • Report
      • NARALO Outreach Group Update
    Report 
  • EPDP
  • Board Candidate Evaluation Committee (BCEC) & Board Member Selection Process Committee (BMSPC)
  • North America Stakeholder Engagement 
      • Report
    • Next Meeting: (question) 18 November 2019 @ 19:00 UTC

    Eduardo

    (00:04 / 00:05)
    068

    Universal Acceptance (UA)

    Universal Acceptance WG

    →  Team responsible for liaising  with the UA Org to educate NARALO in UA concepts and help identify ways on how our RALO and the UA Org could work together to help spread the importance of UA in our region. 

    • For this meeting
      • Introductions

      • Universal Acceptance (UA) presentation by Dr. Ajay Data 


        View file
        nameUA for NARALO - Read-Only.pdf
        height150

    Denise

    (00:30 / 00:35)
    071

    2020 Newsletter Editor

    →: To request volunteers to help with the NARALO newsletter for year 2020. Starting in January 2020. Main responsibility is to acquire content and send it to staff for final assembly and publishing every month.

    Eduardo(00:
    04
    05 / 00:
    05
    40)
    056

    ATLAS III &2019 North America School of Internet Governance (NASIG 2019)

    →:To provide an ATLAS III and NASIG update

    • ATLAS III
     ← Eduardo
    • Happening this week
      • Meeting with Dr. David Kolb (Consultant/Instructor)
        • Program details
        • Three days schedule
      • ATLAS III Leadership Call
        • To continue discussions about logistics, program and other even details
    • Most recent Block schedule
      • NARALO Participants
        • Adrian Schmidt &  David Mackey
      • ICANN66  Block Schedule
        • View file
          nameICANN66_iScheduler - Session Space_2Oct19.pdf
          height250
      • Latest Training Schedule
        • View file
          nameATLAS III Latest Trainning Schedule
    August 2019 v3 Mtgs Team
        • .
    xlsx
        • pdf
          height
    250
    • NASIG 2019 ← Glenn
      • Academic Program details HERE

    Eduardo

    Glenn

    (00:10 / 00:15)068

    Universal Acceptance (UA)

    →  Team responsible for liaising  with the UA Org to educate NARALO in UA concepts and help identify ways on how our RALO and the UA Org could work together to help spread the importance of UA in our region. 

    • For this meeting
      • Report on efforts to establish contact with the Universal Acceptance Steering Group (UASG)
      • Next steps
        • Coordinate UASG ambassador introduction to NARALO
        • Coordinate an UASG presentation
          • to provide more detailed information about  the organization
          • to explain how they foresee NARALO and the UASG collaborating

    Denise

        • 150
      • ATLAS III Participants Webinar
        • 23 October 2019 @ 13:00 UTC (90 minutes)


    • NASIG 2019 Report sent by Glenn McKnight
      • "NASIG is scheduled for  Oct 31st and Nov 1st 
        We are expecting  50 participants at the event with all the participants fully sponsored for hotel, meals and reception .  Over 80 are from outside of North America and active participation from  the ICANN community including  ATLARGE, NexGen, Fellows,  NPOC, NCUC, Business community .   Other communities include APC, ISOC, Diplo, ISOC, CIRA, .PR, PIR  and more 
        Thanks to the hard work of  our fellow NARALO members including  Alfredo, Judith, Adrian and Eduardo  in providing huge contributions  to the event.  A parallel  Francophone programme by ISOC Quebec is also organized on November 1st.  
        Video of the sessions and  session notes will be distributed for the next  NARALO meeting 
        A separate  event is planned on November 2nd called  GDPR for Citizens and will be held at the Montreal Cohost with a special effort for NARALO outreach to the small business French language community at the venue" 

    Eduardo

    Glenn

    (00:10 / 00:
    25
    50)
    064

    FY20 NARALO Discretionary Funds

    → To report on the use of the funding for FY20 outreach and engagement activities by Regional At Large Organizations (RALOs) -

    $4k/RALO

    Current NARALO balance: $3,500

    ← Eduardo
      1. request form needs to be completed to initiate the process.
      2. The request needs to be reviewed and approved by Regional Leadership prior to sending to ICANN org staff
      3. The request must be sent to Silvia Vivanco and Heidi Ullrich at least three weeks prior to the planned activity. 
      4. Approval (or not) will be informed via email to the organization representative that made the request.
    • For this meeting
      • Update on Adrian Schmidt event
    in September
      • moved to January 2020
      • Update on Glenn McKnight GDPR event in November (reported on Item #56 above)

    Adrian

    Glenn

    (00:
    05
    02 / 00:
    30
    52)
    028

    NARALO Policy Group Update Report

    →: To provide an update report by the head of the Policy Group as to the ICANN policies being discussed at the moment affecting NARALO end-users and/or interest to NARALO members in general

        •  At-Large Policy Advice Updates

    Jonathan

    (00:05 /
    00:35)050

    Student Outreach by  the North American Graduate Students At-Large Structure

    →: To provide an updated report on efforts related to outreach University students by this At-Large Structure 

    • F/U syllabus work and Google doc for research material

    David

    Anna

    (00:05 / 00:40)
    0057)
    017

    NARALO Outreach Group Update Report

    →: To provide a summary of the NARALO Outreach Group efforts

    • Remainder of CROP Trips FY20 (1 July 2019 through 20 June 2020)
      1. ARIN
      2. NonprofitTechnology Conference 2020 (NTC 20) March 24/26 @Baltimore,Maryland :: Application deadline is January 10, 2020
      3. Net Digital Inclusion 2020 (NDIA 20), April 7/9 @Portland, Oregon :Application deadline is January 10, 2020
    • For this meeting
      • Update on last Outreach & Engagement Working Group (O&E) meeting

    Glenn

    (00:
    05
    03 / 00:
    40)052

    EPDP on the Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data

    →: To provide an update report on this effort

    Alan(00:05 / 00:45)069

    Board Candidate Evaluation Committee (BCEC) & Board Member Selection Process Committee (BMSPC)

    --> To call for volunteers to participate in these groups and to update the region on its work

    • For this meeting:
      • NARALO Volunteers are as follows:

        BCEC

        • Glenn McKnight
        • John More
        • Yubelkys Montalvo – Alternate

        BMSCP

        • Alan Greenberg (Chair)
        • José L. Pabón
        • Adrian Schmidt
        • David Morar – Alternate
      • Recommend to close this discussion topic
     Eduardo(00:05 / 00:55)044

    North America Stakeholder Engagement

    →: To provide an update report on North America Stakeholder Engagement efforts

    • Current and future engagements

    Chris

    Joe

    (00:04 / 00:59)
    60)


    if we get to them...


    026

    NARALO ALAC members Update Reports

    →: To provide a summary by our current NARALO representatives in ALAC of what was discussed since our last meeting in ALAC regarding policy and anything else that the region should be aware about.

    Javier

    John L.

    Marita


    029

    NARALO Education Group Update Report

    →: To provide provide an update report by the head of the Educational Group since our last call.

    Alfredo
    044

    North America Stakeholder Engagement

    →: To provide an update report on North America Stakeholder Engagement efforts

    • Current and future engagements

    Chris

    Joe


    050

    Student Outreach by  the North American Graduate Students At-Large Structure

    →: To provide an updated report on efforts related to outreach University students by this At-Large Structure 

    • F/U syllabus work and Google doc for research material

    David

    Anna


    052

    EPDP on the Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data

    →: To provide an update report on this effort

    Alan
    059

    RIR Outreach

    →: To provide a report on RIR outreach efforts

    Judith
    065

    Real-Time Transcription (RTT) 

    LEAD: Judith Hellerstein supported by Silvia Vivanco (ICANN Staff)

    →  To provide an update report on the results of this resource.

    • FY20 Additional Budget Request (ABR)
      • Approved:
        • Real-Time Transcription (RTT) of up to ten (10) hours of Inter-sessional At-Large teleconference calls in English during FY20
          • Up to date report

    Judith

    Silvia/Heidi



    to be updated in the future...



    045

    Academic Credits

    →:To work on ways that we could possibly exchange academic credit for students who participate in ICANN policy development processes

    Chris

    Yubelkys

    David


    -

    Any Other Business (AOB)

    --
    -Next meeting:
    October 14
    November 18, 2019 @19:00 UTC-(00:01 / 00:60)

    *(allowed time/running time)

    ...

    → 15 July: Michael Casadevall provided a report for his trip to ARIN 43 Bridgetown, Barbados 7-10 April 2019. Other details are in transcript page 18.

    → 09 September: Report provided. See transcript page 14 for more details.

    → 21 October: → Report provided. Heidi added the following reminders: "However, all of this should be in your RALO’s annual fiscal year outreach and engagement plan that you’ve established and hopefully that’s passed and that’s a requirement for your CROP trip and it should guide you in your activities which events you’re going to go to and also who should be going to best represent NARALO. Also, keep in mind that this year for the additional budget request, the RALO discretionary funding, that is going to require a report at the end of the fiscal year. So, it’s important that you select the people that are going to deliver and have the most success in outreach and engagement activities." See transcript page 28 for more details.

    Topic 026:  NARALO ALAC Members Update Reports

    ...

    → 15 July: See transcript page 30 for more details.

    → 09 September: Looking at the charter and process for the CPWG to figure out what the process is for taking in issues and how to do an exploration of whether or not it’s a good issue for the CPWG to take on and to refer it to others if it’s not. Ongoing discussions related to the Subsequent Procedures. This is an ongoing effort and ALAC have particular concerns over making sure the communities and underserved regions are better served by a new round and so we continue to work on those issues. Working on issues related to the new GDPR Regulation in Europe and continue to get updates from Alan and Hadia about what’s going on there because right now they’re trying to explore scenarios that might occur in terms of who might be trying to get Registrant Data and for what reasons and how the system can accommodate that. Ongoing discussions about the Evolution of the MultiStakeholder Model, an effort launched by the Board and shepherded by Brian Cute and we are engaged in conversations about how the MultiStakeholder Model evolves and how to best position At-Large in the interests of individual end users in that evolution. More details in page 12 of the transcript.

    → 21 October: Marita Moll reported on the policy work that she has been working into the evolution of the multi-stakeholder model in ICANN. See transcript page #24 from more details on her report. Adan reported on the EPDP. See transcript page #29 for its report.

    Topic 029: NARALO Education Group Update Report

    ...

    → 15 July: Overview given. Check recording starting at 1:09 for more details

    → 09 September: Overview given

    → 21 October: Overview given. More details on transcript page #1

    Topic 044: North America Stakeholder Engagement

    ...

    → 10 June: Joe provided a short and to the point report. See transcript page # 28.

    → 09 September: Main engagement activity that’s going on in the region right now sort of a pre-ICANN66 event, something to wet the appetite for the Montreal Community. IN other words, a preview for people to get ICANN on the radar as we get ready for the meeting which will happen in November. 7th of October from 5:00 to 7:30 p.m. local time. See transcript page # 17 for more details.

    Topic 047: Academic Credits

    ...

    → July 15: Apologies received by David Morar. Will report next time.

    → 09 September: Reps were not present in the call. No report was received.

    Topic 052: EPDP on the Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data 

    ...

    → July 15: From transcript page 25 :: "All right. Thank you very much. On the EPDP, we are in the process right now of looking at a number of sample use cases for under what conditions would third parties get access to the confidential data. The use cases we’re looking at are selection that is being provided by a number of members. They’re not meant to be exhaustive but will hopefully give us a feel for the kinds of things we need to consider in building the general case.". More details in the transcript.

    → 09 September: No report given.

    → 21 October: Report given. See page #29 for details for the report.

    Topic 056: ATLAS III & North America School of Internet Governance (NASIG 2019)

    ...

    → 15 July: Please refer to transcript page 9 for more details.

    → 09 September:  Please refer to transcript page 1 for more details about ATLAS III and page 4 for NASIG 2019.

    → 21 October: Report given. See transcript page #20 for more details.

    Topic 059: RIR Outreach

    LEAD: Judith Hellerstein

    ...

    → 15 July: See transcript page 14 for more details.

    → 09 September: A reminder of the availability of this $$ was given to the region. See transcript page 11 for more details.

    → 21 Octobre: A reminder of the availability of this $$ was given to the region. See transcript page 23 for more details.

    Topic 065: Real-Time Transcription (RTT)

    ...

    → 15 July: Heidi covered this item. See transcript page 17  for more details.

    Topic 068: Universal Acceptance (UA)

    LEAD: Denise de Alcantara-Hochbaum

    OPEN: 12 August 2019, CLOSED:

    TYPE: Policy, Outreach

    NARALO Universal Acceptance Working Group

    SUPPORTING BACKGROUND AND DOCUMENTATION:

    This topic was created as an action item assigned by ALAC to all RALOS. See the following email received on 25 July 2019: 

    "Dear RALO Chairs,

    Further to an action item from yesterday's ALT-PLUS meeting, please see the Tracking Pages for the At-Large Universal Acceptance Pilot for your respective RALO here.

    These pages are meant to facilitate the record of At-Large activity related to UA by region. Please share with your leadership team and community. John Laprise, ALAC Vice Chair has also requested you please also contact your regional UASG Ambassador regarding Universal Acceptance.

    You may find the main At-Large Workspace on the UA Pilot here, with the below resources from Ajay Data of the UA Steering Group (UASG). Please share these resources with your RALO community."

    See: RALO Tracking Pages for UA Pilot

    Resources Shared by Ajay Data

    For more details and technical documents, please visit:

    Additional UASG Resources

    → 12 August: Group created.

    → 09 September:

    Topic 069:  Board Candidate Evaluation Committee (BCEC) & Board Member Selection Process Committee (BMSPC)

    LEAD: Alan Greenberg

    OPEN: 12 August 2019 ], CLOSED: 09 September 2019

    TYPE: General

    DESCRIPTION: To call for volunteers to participate in these groups and to update the region on its work

    SUPPORTING BACKGROUND AND DOCUMENTATION:

    Initial email sent to all RALOs:

    ...

    ---0---

    → 12 August: As fo today NARALO: 2 BCEC & none for BMSPC. BMSPC work is not expected to be heavy. We are covered in BCEC.

    → 09 September: Volunteers list presented. Close.

    5. New Discussions

    This section is for new discussions in the agenda for this meeting

    : Denise (lead), Judith and Michael.

    → 09 September: Please refer to transcript page 7 for more details. Denise will coordinate a presentation for our next call

    → 21 October: Presentation was given. It starts on transcript page #3. 

    5. New Discussions

    This section is for new discussions in the agenda for this meeting

    Topic 071:  2020 Newsletter Editor

    LEAD: Eduardo Díaz

    OPEN: 21 October, CLOSED: 21 October 2019

    TYPE: [General], [Outreach]

    DESCRIPTION: To request volunteers to help with the NARALO newsletter for year 2020. Starting in January 2020. Main responsibility is to acquire content and send it to staff for final assembly and publishing every month.

    → 21 October: Pierre-Jean Darres will be the new newsletter chief editor starting with the January 2020 edition. See transcript page #19 for more details. Discussion closed.

    6. Any Other Business (AOB)

    This section is for any new discussions not in the agenda for this meeting.

    Topic

    ...

    072*: [Topic title here]

    LEAD: [name]

    OPEN: [open date], CLOSED:

    ...

    ---0---


    Supporting Material

    General:

    Policy:

    At-Large Policy Resources

    At-Large Capacity Building Workshop - An Introduction to Policy Development at ICANN
    2019 ALAC Policy Comments & Advice
    At-Large Policy Summary
    At-Large Executive Summary page
    Multistakeholder Advice Development graphic

    ALAC moving topics @ June 2019 

    Please join the weekly  At-Large Consolidated Policy Working Group (CPWG) meeting.

    Recently Ratified by the ALAC (since last NARALO Monthly meeting)

    Proposed Definition of Name Collisions and Scope of Inquiry for the Name Collisions Analysis Project
    The ALAC considers the issue of Name Collision in the DNS an area of importance for the minimization of unintended consequences for Internet end users. The ALAC appreciates the need to have a Name Collision definition for purposes of scoping the inquiry for the Name Collision Analysis Project (NCAP), in order for the NCAP Study One to be manageable and on point, and therefore supports the Proposed Definition of Name Collision and Scope of Inquiry for the Name Collision Analysis Project of 1 July 2019. Of particular importance to us are:

    (1) The recognition and inclusion of Type B situations (ie. B. In scope but not intended to be the subject of data studies) which provides built-in peripheral consideration of such situations with decision for examination through data analysis at a later stage if a compelling case were to arise within Study One; and

    (2) The possibility of amending the Definition of Name Collision and Scope of Inquiry for the Name Collision Analysis Project should further pertinent information come to light at a later stage either through the ongoing work of the NCAP DG, NCAP Working Party and/or input obtained from the party/ies eventually contracted to undertake NCAP Study One.  

    Evolving the Governance of the Root Server System
    The ALAC strongly supports the overall proposal and appreciates the opportunity to comment. The RSS, according to RRSAC37, needs to evolve so it remains a reliable, resilient, and sustainable service in the face of increasing traffic and cyberattacks. However, the ALAC finds it difficult to accept that ICANN is not considered a primary stakeholder with regard to the RSS, given that the Domain Name System and its reliable and trusted operation is a prime reason for ICANN’s existence. The ALAC also encourages that Internet users, the ultimate user and beneficiary of the DNS, should be listed as having a stake in the existence and evolution of the RSS.

    The financial model is also of some concern to the ALAC. No figures are provided to allow even order-of-magnitude estimates. It is surely time that we begin to understand exactly what level of funding will be required and hypothesize on where such funding will come from.

    Draft Financial Assumptions & Projections and Operating Initiatives for the development of Fiscal Years 2021-2025 Operating & Financial Plan
    The ALAC considered the Draft Financial Assumptions, Projections and Operating Initiatives, and offered comments on the following topics among others: 

    • The ALAC is not optimistic that Financial Assumptions A (Roll-out of New gTLDs) and B (New Business Models – Geographic gTLDs and Brand gTLDs) will be highly successful vehicles to new revenue. Although the first round of new gTLDs did bring in considerable revenue, the ALAC notes that these earlier rounds represented the “low hanging fruit” in the new gTLD market.
    • The ALAC agrees that ICANN continue to put money towards the an urgent need to resolve current challenges around Universal Acceptance, as well as the primary strategic goal of security, stability and trust.
    • The ALAC agrees that work which needs to be done on evolving the multistakeholder system is substantial and complex and that it must be ongoing with adequate resources directed towards its completion. The objectives related to diverse and inclusive participation in policy making in an efficient and effective way are essential to improving the system, underlining that face-to-face meetings are essential to the functioning of the multistakeholder model.
    • The ALAC/At-Large community propose some clarity via a listing of priorities and statements on the impact of each project on ICANN org and on each of the unique ACs and SOs. The community believes that while policy development and implementation activities are integral to the planning process, so are other activities, such as those that enable communication, collaboration, and outreach, between RALOS, At-Large members and other constituencies.

    Public Comment for Decision

    None

    Next Steps to Improve the Effectiveness of ICANN’s Multistakeholder Model
    The ALAC summarized its comments as follows:

    I. Strengthen ICANN’s bottom-up multistakeholder decision-making process and ensure that work gets done and policies are developed in an effective and timely manner.

    Issue 1: Prioritization of work. ALAC feels this must be addressed (Category A). Some suggestions include: spreading the workload, increased outreach (ATLAS III, further incentives to keep contributing volunteers, adequate knowledge and resources (specified in II) The entire community,as well as ICANN.org must contribute to the resolution of this problem.

    Issue 2: Precision in scoping the work. This issue may fall into Category A - must be addressed - or Category B -- might be partially addressed in current processes. We foresee scoping that is tight and smart and relevant to the process. It is impossible to say who should be responsible when so much activity around it is unresolved.

    Issue 3: Efficient use of resources. This is a category A issue which must be addressed. We recognize that it might be partially addressed by current processes but cannot assess the situation until these processes are completed. We are concerned that PDP 3.0 may offer efficiency at the cost of inclusiveness which we feel would be a backwards step in the evolution of ICANN’s MSM.

    Issue 4: Roles and responsibilities and a holistic view of ICANN. This is a category A issue although it will require further processes to resolve. ALAC seeks a bottom-up review of roles and responsibilities as an independent process. 

    II. Support and grow active, informed and effective stakeholder participation.

    Strategies to expand the concept of participation are offered as well as various resources and support needed to ensure informed participation. We consider this to be a Category A issue -- the model cannot evolve if it is not addressed. This is a major concern for At Large and other volunteer-based constituencies and all will need to be involved in addressing it. Support from ICANN,org and the Board will be necessary.

    Issue 5: Representativeness and inclusiveness. Mentorship programs are a key part of ensuring that the MSM system remains representative and inclusive. Relevant constituencies as well as staff need to make sure these programs are working as they are intended and that they are reaching the right demographics. Inclusiveness at the leadership level needs to be improved through a bottom up process with staff assistance.

    III. Sustain and improve openness, inclusivity, accountability and transparency.

    Issue 6: Culture, trust and silos. This is a category A issue that needs to be addressed in this process. All constituencies need to reach across their boundaries, respect for other viewpoints must be reinforced. This is a problem in many large organizations and there are professional services available to help build trust and cooperation. By engaging some of these services, ICANN.org could help constituencies build a better working environment. 

    Issue 7: Complexity. This is an inherent feature of ICANN work, but where it can be alleviated, ICANN.org should take the lead. Make sure information such as the website is well organized and understandable and closely monitor the internet governance environment for issues that will impact ICANN directly.

    Issue 8: Consensus. Creating conditions that would facilitate consensus is the goal of the issues already listed. Preserving the voice of end users in the decision-making processes is crucial to ICANN’s MSM model -- a Category A issue in which all parties play a role but the role of the Board will be particularly important. 

    In addition, the ALAC submitted comments in response to:

    Public Comment for Decision

    Registration Directory Service (RDS-WHOIS2) Review Team Final Report  
    Proposed IANA SLAs for ccTLD Creation and Transfer 

    Current Statements (ALAC Advice, Comment or Correspondence)

    Additional

    Education:

    Outreach:

    FY20 NARALO Outreach

    NARALO FY19 Outreach and Engagement Strategic plan

    Community Regional Outreach Program (CROP)-FY18 Home

    At-Large Social Media Working Group


    Universal Acceptance (UA)

     RALO Tracking Pages for UA Pilot

    Resources Shared by Ajay Data

    For more details and technical documents, please visit:

    Additional UASG Resources