Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

The ATRT's proposed recommendations include:

Wiki Markup*"ICANN should establish \ [by INSERT DATE\] formal mechanisms for identifying the collective skill-set required by the ICANN Board including such skills as public policy, finance, strategic planning, corporate governance, negotiation, and dispute resolution. Emphasis should be placed upon ensuring the Board has the skills and experience to effectively provide oversight of ICANN operations consistent with the global public interest and deliver best practice in corporate governance."*

1. What skill sets do you feel currently missing from the board and how will your skills fill those gaps?

Regarding my experience (I try to put that in my SOI) I can answer the following,;
Public policy: I am doing that within ICANN since 10 years. And it is also what I was doing in for not profit organizations in direction of the youth (UCPA) and the CIOs (CIGREF and EuroCio);
Finance: it was one part of my MBA training and I run an important IT project including the responsibility of a budget of US$40 million;
Strategic planning and Corporate governance: As Deputy CIO at SNCF (French Railways) and Deputy CEO at Cigref (CIO organization), I took an important part in the definition and rollout of those two key  processes;
Negotiation: with providers (Air-Inter, SNCF, Cigref), with partners and employees (all the time).

But what I would like to bring to the Board is a mix of skill and knowledge.

Pierre Dandjinou

I have to admit I do not have a thorough picture of the skills that are currently missing from the Board. I know most directors come from specific areas and therefore , their collective skill should help ICANN deal with its coordination roles. However, one should note that ICANN is not solely about technical coordination. It deals with policy development and as has been seen in the last 5 years, it has to count with other international players and therefore, politics and diplomacy are becoming quite important areas to invest on. Also, the issues of the end users, of the consumer or the registrants’ rights are certainly not yet properly addressed, one might need people with good negociation skills, and who are prone to do an enhanced outreach to the end users.

As a former UN staff, and a regional advisor on governance and IT issues, I had the opportunity to contribute to public policy making; main missions were to advise country programme and policy makers on best practices in integrating ICT in development project and for reinforcing public administration and democratic institutions such as parliaments.

My knowledge in finance is minimal and is basically related to project budget management. I conducted strategic planning missions for a few countries and I am still doing this in my new position as Executive Director of a firm which deals, inter allia with strategies and results oriented management.

As far as corporate governance is concerned, I have contributed to internal working groups within the UN which had corporate governance as one of their areas of work.

While in the course of my activities I have to be involved in negociations with third paties and have generated many MoUs and others instruments. I was not involved in dispute resolutions, but I do know there are mecanisms and tool to deal with these and also, some dose of diplomacy and experience is important here.

Let me also say that in all the necessary skills expected from the board directors, one could spot the ones of integrity, commitment and dedication. These are all values which I have tried to cultivate in the course of my career and my engagement with the community.

Alan Greenberg

Regarding involvement in potential or planned gTLD applications, I have no such involvement.