Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.
Comment: Migrated to Confluence 4.0

The Internet is poised to have a huge impact in many areas of national development. It is playing a significant role in economic, political and cultural development. In creating economic policies in countries in the developing world, the focus of many is no longer simple manufacturing or exploitation of natural non-renewable resources. The Internet is essential in the development of other new technologies, such as biotechnology, material technology, solar technology, manufacturing technology, which are also changing the technological landscape and affecting competitiveness. Fast, affordable and reliable connections to the Internet and development of mobile telephony are some of the new technological infrastructure that nations need to put in place in order to become or remain innovative and competitive.

Countries are using the Internet to deliver services to isolated areas - such as banking, financial, information, distance-learning and health services. The Internet enables companies to have a global reach and conduct efficient business transactions.

Given the vital importance of the Internet to development in the developing world, it is essential that ICANN receive inputs from these areas in policy development, as these policies being implemented now will deeply affect the development of these countries.

My first degrees and jobs were in the chemical manufacturing field. I have a BSc and an MS in Chemical Engineering, and worked in the petrochemical and chemical manufacturing field for several years. My second Masters degree is in Environmental Management. I linked my interest in the Internet and ICT to this field from a very early stage, putting safety data sheets online for public access in 1993.  I returned home to Trinidad and Tobago after this degree since, at the time, the first local environmental laws were being passed.I have also been a performer in both song and dance from childhood. I also linked my interests in these areas with the ICT field, using ICT and the Internet to work in the development of culture as an economic driver. I have worked in the music industry, both in development and marketing of local artists as well as directing concert videos with names like John Legend, Rihanna, Lionel Richie, Ne Yo, Beenie Man, and Machel Montano among others. I’ve also been involved in our major cultural event, Carnival, since I was 2 years old. I was responsible for the very first Carnival masquerade band website to go online in Trinidad and Tobago, in 1995. I also was responsible for many online marketing firsts for the Carnival, including the first successful streaming of Carnival events in 2004. This has become one of the major revenue generators for local entrepreneurs in the past 5 years.