Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Kathy Schnitt:Welcome to the ATLAS II Debrief Single Issue ALAC call on Wednesday 27 August 2014 at 13:30 UTC.

Kathy Schnitt:AGENDA: https://community.icann.org/x/BAbxAg

Kathy Schnitt:Hello Ariel!

Kathy Schnitt:Welcome Glenn

Murray McKercher:good ,orning

Glenn McKnight:Hi

Kathy Schnitt:Welcome Murray

Alberto Soto:Hi all!

Kathy Schnitt:Welcome Alberto,

Kathy Schnitt:Welcome Eduardo

Kathy Schnitt:Welcome Sebastien

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:Hello all

Alberto Soto:You are welcome, Kathy

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:Hello All!

Alberto Soto:No sound on the channel in Spanish...

Alberto Soto:is ok!

Gisella Gruber:Dev sends his apologies

Glenn McKnight:Dev  tied up with his  wedding

Alberto Soto:Yes Olivier!

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Thanks. Just checking.

Ariel Liang:The Report Reporting Group's wiki: https://community.icann.org/x/agXxAg

Ariel Liang:I'm going to share screen

Murray McKercher:@ariel yes very good

Glenn McKnight:yes  its  fine

Sylvia Herlein:Hello everybody!

Glenn McKnight:Implementation  is   much  more  difificult  if  budget and staff is not  allocated

Kathy Schnitt:Welcome Sylvia

Glenn McKnight:Easy to create  a suggestion  the  'devil is in the  detail"

Glenn McKnight:@ Olivier  your  request is  much more than this  call

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:sorry to be late. home now from Melbourne

Siranush Vardanyan:sorry for late arrival, just finished my meeting

Kathy Schnitt:Welcome Cheryl and Siranush

Siranush Vardanyan:thanks, Kathy

Kathy Schnitt:Welcome Evan

Murray McKercher:@Olivier, I like this approach as a smaller initial group folllowed by a broader review group

Glenn McKnight: Need to expand to RSB  charts  

Sylvia Herlein:Kathy, can you put the link here??

Glenn McKnight:RSB  SMART    Specific, Measurable,  Acbhieveable, Results, Tactics

Murray McKercher:@ all please let us not get caught up in "paralysis by analysis" and we should have a realistic deadline

Sébastien:Board retreat is on the 8, 9  and 10 of September in Istanbul

Sébastien:Next Board meeting in LA

Sébastien:For LA you need to be ready for the 20 of September

Kathy Schnitt:https://community.icann.org/x/LsPhAg

Sébastien:Is it working within AC to speak?

Kathy Schnitt:Sebastien would you like us to dial out to you via audio?

Sébastien:I am in an hotel in Sofia

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:we could not hear you Sébastien

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Tijani: understood, but it needs to be much more articulated before being sent to the Board.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:*We just heard you Sébastien

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:so you're next

Sébastien:god

Sébastien:good

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Alberto: good point, and that's why we need to structure our request, with suggestions and figures.

Murray McKercher:@JJS I agree we must articulate very well before being sent to the board, I believe you are most experienced in working with the Board, and of course Sebastien would also be most helpful

Murray McKercher:must switch computer but will remain on the call by voice.

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Murray: before allocating tasks to anyone, ALAC needs to determine its orientations, make specific suggestions, and have a notion of costs involved (to be ascertained with Staff).

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Olivier: yes.

Sylvia Herlein:we need both things

Evan Leibovitch:BTW: While talking about delegating some of the issues to other working groups: Have other TG members been encouraged to join working groups? I know that many TG4 members joined the Future Challenges WG but I have no idea how many have joined the Outreach and other WGs. That will be useful -- even necessary -- before charging these WGs to help make the recommendations more specific.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Evan: yes they have. Since it is the summer the take-up has not been too great so far

Glenn McKnight:I am of  two  opinions  on this  discussion.   The  feedback  suggests  we  do  alot more work. 

Sylvia Herlein:that's rigth Alberto, in that cases Haiti & Rep Dominicana, we did both

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Alberto: agreed.

Evan Leibovitch:One thing that can be done here is determining which WG should be charged with followup (and making the recommendations more detailed)

Evan Leibovitch:of each line item

Evan Leibovitch:Can we not add a colum on the wiki table to indicate which WG each item is assigned to?

Evan Leibovitch:or put it in " status"

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Alan +1.

Sylvia Herlein:agreed with Tijani

Alan Greenberg:Yes, adding source and where details might be found would be useful.

Eduardo:sorry I am having connection problems

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:Olivier, this is a big chunk of work, requiring legal research (different legislation from country to country; compatibility with California law), and what would be our HIGH LEVEL orientation on this?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:just an open question :-)

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Sébastien: exactly!

Evan Leibovitch:Doling masochistic things within ICANN is not unheard of.

Sébastien:I have some inputs on that but as no time...

Evan Leibovitch:All of ICANN's contracts with contracted parties are governed by California law.

Sébastien:Maybe we can discuss that specificaly later

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:Olivier: yes, first get in touch with your colleagues of SOs and ACs. A good start. And yes, EU position very important.

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Olivier: no, I'm not proposing to move ICANN out of California law; but to see what plans are afoot regarding the Geneva office's remit.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:JJs: quick answer: nobody knows

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Sébastien +1.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:outreach and capacity

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:/also GSE Regional hubs etc.,

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:... and test it with other SOs & ACs?

Glenn McKnight:Going  to be  a real  challenge  to these  WG  committees  to commit

Alan Greenberg:OTher groups (some not anywhere near all) rotate meetings to spread pain. We, as an example, have decided that we not do this except in a few cases where we run duplicate sessions.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:also social media

Eduardo:capacity building to support

Eduardo:maybe mentoring

Alan Greenberg:I think we are learning a very important lesson here. It is not sufficient to gather together people for one week, have them issue strong and potentially complex recommendations, and then go home and presume that someone will carry out their wishes.

Sylvia Herlein:+1 Alan

Evan Leibovitch:It is my personal PoV that anything sent "to the ALAC" will essentially be sent there to die, unless the ALAC itself creates its own WG or task force.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:challenge if not ricck of low priority risk of "failure'

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:risk

Alan Greenberg:GNSO now has Implementation Review Groups to participate in the implementation so recommendations are not just tossed over a brick wall to someone else to implement.

Eduardo:outreach and global engagement

Sébastien:Is it the ICANN role?

Eduardo:global engagement since it's public relations what it is looking for

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:Olivier, if you create a WG, it would make sense for you and/or Eduardo to guide its work, as a follow-up of Atlas-2.

Kathy Schnitt:Checking with Adigo for Cheryl

Kathy Schnitt:She is still on the audio line

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:Olivier, see my remark just above?

Evan Leibovitch:My own viewpoints on the absolute foolishness of applying the paradigm of "RoI" for the Sunmit are well known.

Alan Greenberg:@Eduardo, that could significantly delay Atlas 3!

Murray McKercher:Apologies, I must leave the call, but will review notes

Sylvia Herlein:bye, bye

Eduardo:@alan.  we can get to atlasiii even if we do not  have definitive results for all

Alberto Soto:Thanks, bye bye

Eduardo:adios

Siranush Vardanyan:thank sall, bye

Ariel Liang:Thank you bye bye