Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Sub-group Members:   Beran Gillen, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Elizabeth Andrews, Fiona Asgona, Herb Waye, Lito Ibarra, Olga Cavalli, Sebastien Bachollet, Suen Ojedeji.   (9)

Staff:  Brenda Brewer, Bernard Turcotte, Karen Mulberry, Larisa Gurnick, Lars Hoffmann, Moises Cirilo (Tech Support), Yvette Guigneaux.  

Apologies:  Rachel Pollack, Carolina Aguerre, Dalia Rahmouni, Rafik Dammak, Par Brumack.  

** If your name is missing from attendance or apology, please send note to acct-staff@icann.org **

Transcript

Recording

Agenda

1.  Introductions (3min)
  2.  Review of previous meeting action items (2min)
  3.  Strawman document discussion: (45min)
    1.  What are your views on the definition of diversity? Agree? Disagree? Explain.
    2.  What elements of diversity are important to ICANN?
    3.  How can ICANN measure the important elements of diversity?
  4.  Way Foward (5min)
  5. AOB (5min)

Notes

Meeting run by Sebastien on behalf of Fiona

1. Review of previous meeting action items

a) Rapporteurs will develop Strawman based on discussion items raised for group review.-
b) Develop additional diversity data request for Staff assistance

Review and discussion of the two action items from the previous meeting.

2. Strawman document discussion:
- What are your views on the definition of diversity? Agree? Disagree? Explain.

Discussed the importance of having a shared vision of the definition of diversity, in particular the components of what makes up diversity. Considered Staff participation in the discussion on diversity. Proposed considering adding positive discrimination to address diversity concerns.

Questions realized are we able to define diversity on its own or does it need specific elements .

Agreement that there is a need to have a few sentences to describe diversity for ICANN. Also need to consider what are principals separate from the definitions.

NOTE: - agreed to strawman 1st reading.

- What elements of diversity are important to ICANN?

Question raised on what are the additional aspects to consider are the elements of diversity tht need to be identified for ICANN. Example noted when to consider geographic diversity when considering country of birth and then country where a person works and lives.

- How can ICANN measure the important elements of diversity?

3. Way Forward
Need to have further discussion on the elements of diversity that are important to ICANN and to complete the list. The need to identify the elements that are important and those that are measureable

Looking at ICANN the organization and the community

4.AOB
Need to consider the scope, including leadership

Need to make strawman a Google Doc so comments can be added for second reading

Google Doc - Diversity Strawman, available for comment below:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12Jruoh25BwYSGe2jadKsm4WvS3GThVDpA0CRkSxbhiI/edit?usp=sharing[docs.google.com]

Documents Presented

Chat Transcript

Yvette Guigneaux:Welcome to the WS2 - Diversity Subgroup Meeting #3 | 19:00 UTC | Friday, 14 October 16!

Yvette Guigneaux:Hi All - I am still one of the hosts and still here in case you need anything

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Hi all

Yvette Guigneaux:Fiona just let me know when to start the recording

FIONA ASONGA:Hallo Everyone

FIONA ASONGA:Welcome to this call

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Thx  back on Mute now Yvette

Yvette Guigneaux:ok Cheryl

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):hope tht announce  can be turned off it is disruptive mid call as well as occasionlly confusing

Yvette Guigneaux:It sure is Cheryl - I have a ticket already into tech support about that - their working with Adobe to get it changed

Yvette Guigneaux:Fiona, good day - did you want to wait another minute or so for people to join?

FIONA ASONGA:Yvette call me my connection is abit slow

Yvette Guigneaux:ok Fiona, on it right now

Yvette Guigneaux:Connected ok now Fiona?

Yvette Guigneaux:May we test your mic to see if we can hear you properly?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Fiona  are you on the audio bridge yet?

Yvette Guigneaux:Fiona - I'm getting a message on this end of a rejected call  - are my calls going thru to you?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):if so we are not hearing you

Yvette Guigneaux:Remember to unmute before speaking

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):ooops  glitch it seems

Brenda Brewer:Please stand by all!  Sorry for delay!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):We could hear you briefly Fiona

Yvette Guigneaux:Fiona - we could hear you - are you ready to start the meeting?

Olga Cavalli:hi sorry for being late

FIONA ASONGA 2:Hallo Sorry

FIONA ASONGA 2:I dont seem to be heard

FIONA ASONGA 2:I can hear you

FIONA ASONGA 2:I am unmuted

FIONA ASONGA 2:I support Sabastein's proposal

FIONA ASONGA 2:I suggest Sabastien assists

FIONA ASONGA 2:Thanks you

FIONA ASONGA 2:Apoligies received from Rafik Dammak

Karen Mulberry:will Rafik  be joining

FIONA ASONGA 2:Par Brumack

FIONA ASONGA 2:and Racheal Pollack

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Go ahead Sebastien...  noting that at 10 past the hour  I suggested we at least look on screen at the dics she distributed but it seems no one heard Me !!  hmmm audio was checked earlie

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):should read screen docs

Yvette Guigneaux:I will look for some SEbastien

Yvette Guigneaux:right now

FIONA ASONGA 2:Action items from last meeting:

FIONA ASONGA 2: Rapporteurs will develop Strawman based on discussion items raised for group review.- Develop additional diversity data request for Staff assistance

FIONA ASONGA 2:Yes Sabastien

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):I  had asked at the 10 past  intervention for thee AI's to be listed in notes as well *sigh*  sorry it seems not just Fiaona's  audio bridge is 'fragile'

Herb Waye Ombuds:Hi folks sorry for being late

FIONA ASONGA 2:Yes the 3 questions form the main discussion for today's meeting

Yvette Guigneaux:Action Item from last time if still needed: ACTION ITEM: - Rapporteurs will develop Strawman based on discussion items raised for group review.- Develop additional diversity data request for Staff assistance

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Great  thanks  the AI's it seems  are all 'completed'  then

Karen Mulberry:We are working to resolve the issues and hope to have them resolved for this and future meetings

Yvette Guigneaux:Hi All - my apologies on the technical issues - we actually have tech support on this call right now troubleshooting

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Go ahead  Lars

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):No one doubts the efforts of our Staff Lars  but thanks for your endorsement as well

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):too er;y to answer thaat yet Lars  I believe  we have yet to get that far

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):BUT  for the record  I aam *nt* a supporter of posative discrimination as many people know  I am a supporter of  reduced barriers to entry and enagement and to positive facilitation with programs  outreach  et., etc.,

Lars Hoffmann:thanks Cheryl, i appreciate it is early but it might be something to keep in mind before you decide on the criteria. some are more 'implementable' than others.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Yes  Lars    for e.g.   the term I prefer to often use 'Accessability'  when got to best practice  assists and facilitates  getting diversity for a number of thesee criteria/desirables  including geo, disability, language, literacy (tech and other) etc., etc., etc.,

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Yeah  We hear you Fiona :-)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Yes Fiona  this all has to be in the context of ICANN  this my support for the way the strawman  uses the elements after identification...

FIONA ASONGA 2:Agreed Cheryl on geographic

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):So even the "established and easy one" like Geo   need some review...  EG.   why 5 max on a Board  or a Committee from an ICANN Region, where the population balances (or countries or Diversity within such a Region)  might argue for a greater or lesser  ration now as oppossed to when ICANN formed...

Elizabeth Andrews:Hi, all. This is Betsy from the Development and Public Responsibility Department. I just want to be sure you know that we have a gender diversity research pilot and will obviously be happy to provide you with all the reports as they come in, and collaborate and contribute however we can.

Elizabeth Andrews:it's a study of gender diversity within the ICANN ecosystem

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Great Betsy  that would no doubt be welcome

Elizabeth Andrews:Also feel free to let me know what areas within gender diversity this group or others might want to see collected about the community and perhaps we can incorporate it into the work that is being done

Herb Waye Ombuds:opposite of diversity is discrimination so maybe think of what ICANN is doing wrong and how it applies to diversity

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Also  even with Language (and  ICANN does  make efforts in that area )  we are limited often by cost management  so there are enabllers and barriers when we get to measurement andd implementation  in that case the matters of 'fitness for purpose'  also need to be looked at

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Good point  Herb

Herb Waye Ombuds:Definition is ICANN community and not ICANN organization right?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):I assume so Herb  bt tht has not been settld  yet

Yvette Guigneaux:I believe Herb has a raised hand

Herb Waye Ombuds:ok thanks Cheryl

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):We can hear you Herb

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):That's really another deffinition to settle on  IMO  where Herb  mentioned Leadership  that is often where some things are mentioned... 

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Yes  lots more to do :-)

Herb Waye Ombuds:By the way I am using Firefox and it is the first time my computer works with Adobe without dropping signal as with Safari and Chrome

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):interesting note Herb

Karen Mulberry:We are out of time and we will need to end the call

Yvette Guigneaux:All - 5 min left

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):agree  they will be meeting CA  requirements

Yvette Guigneaux:We did start late but we need to be considerate of those who have other calls and business to attend to - please start ending the call, thank you

Herb Waye Ombuds:Take care all... nice chatting.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Thanks everyone   pity about the tech issues but all good progress ... talk again soon bye for now