Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.
Comment: Migrated to Confluence 4.0

Bio of Edmon Chung

Edmon Chung is currently serving as the Vice Chair of the Internet Society Hong Kong (ISOC HK) chapter. Edmon has been involved in the regional At-Large activities since its very beginning, assisting in the development and completion of the APRALO charter, and subsequently leading ISOC HK to serve as the secretariat for the APRALO. Edmon is also an elected member of the Elections Committee of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, an elected councillor of the ICANN GNSO Council, and Secretariat for the ICANN APRALO (Asia Pacific At-Large Organisation).

Since 2002, Edmon played a leadership role in the region-wide .Asia initiative, bringing together an open membership of 27 official country-code top-level domain authorities and regional Internet bodies. DotAsia is a not-for-profit organization with a mandate to promote Internet development and adoption in Asia. Since its launch in 2008, DotAsia has contributed significantly to a variety of community projects in Asia, including for example: APrIGF (www.rigf.asia), Youth IGF Camp (www.yigf.asia), OLPC.asia (www.olpc.asia), Relief.Asia (www.relief.asia), CreativeCommons.Asia (www.creativecommons.asia), ISIF.Asia (www.isif.asia), NetMission.Asia (www.netmission.asia), Paragon100.Asia, MaD.Asia (www.mad.asia) and others.

Edmon is an inventor of patents underlying technologies for internationalized domain names (IDN) and email addresses on the Internet.

Edmon has served on many global IDN related committees, including technical and policy groups, that made it possible for the introduction of multilingual domain names and email addresses on the Internet. As a pioneer of IDN technologies, Edmon is dedicated to seeing the full implementation of IDNs at ICANN and to ensure that it takes into account the interests of end users.

Edmon founded Neteka Inc. in partnership with the University of Toronto Innovations Foundation in 1999, and went on to win the Most Innovative Award in the Chinese Canadian Entrepreneurship Award in 2001. In 2000, Edmon was selected by The Globe and Mail as one of the Young Canadian Leaders. Edmon has a Bachelor of Applied Science and Master of Engineering from the University of Toronto, and is a PhD candidate at the Shanghai University of Finance and Economics.

Statement of Interest of Edmon Chung

I am currently serving as the Vice Chairman of ISOC HK, which is an ALS in the APRALO and a chapter of the Internet Society. I am also currently serving as the Chief Executive Officer of DotAsia Organisation. DotAsia is a not-for-profit membership based organization with 2 types of members (http://www.dot.asia/about/members.html): ccTLDs in the Asia Pacific region (many of whom are members of the ccNSO) and International Internet organizations (such as APNIC, which is the RIR for the Asia Pacific region, APTLD, etc.), with a core mandate to promote Internet development and adoption in Asia. DotAsia has a contract with ICANN to operate the ".Asia" gTLD registry.

I am currently serving on the GNSO Council as a representative of the gTLD Registries Stakeholder Group. My term will conclude after the ICANN Cartagena meeting, and I will not run to be re-elected. I also currently Co-Chair the ICANN Joint ccNSO/GNOS IDN Working Group (JIG) and the Internationalized Registration Data Working Group (IRD-WG).