Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Sub-group Members:  Alan Greenberg, Avri Doria, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Chris Wilson, David McAuley, Jean-Jacques Subrenat, Julf Helsingius, Michael Karanicolas, Philip Corwin, Ricardo Holmquist, Vidushi Marda, Wale Bakare   (12)

Staff:  Bernard Turcotte, Elizabeth Andrews, Karen Mulberry, Tristana Webster, Yvette Guigneaux

Apologies:  

** If your name is missing from attendance or apology, please send note to acct-staff@icann.org **

Transcript

• Word Doc

• PDF

Recording

Agenda

1. Roll Call

2. Welcome - Opening Remarks

3. Discussion of ICANN CCWG – Transparency Report WS2 - DRAFT

4. AOB

Notes

Documents Presented

CCWG_WS2_Transp Report.Draft2.pdf

Chat Transcript

Yvette Guigneaux:  Welcome all to the WS2 Transparency Meeting #6  |  15 December 2016 @ 19:  00 UTC!

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:  hello all

Ricardo Holmquist:  good day everyone

David McAuley (RySG):  Hi Yvette, I am 4154

David McAuley (RySG):  hello all

Chris Wilson:  I am 6514

Yvette Guigneaux:  hi David - copy that

Julf Helsingius:  Evening!

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:  Hello All!

David McAuley (RySG):  happy for intro

Yvette Guigneaux:  scrolling available if needed

Yvette Guigneaux:  hi Vidushi - good day - we're getting feedback form the line so you've been muted - if you need to speak

Vidushi Marda 2:  sorry that was me!

Yvette Guigneaux:  feel free to hit *6 (star 6) to unmute your phone

Yvette Guigneaux:  no worries  =)

Wale Bakare:  Hi everyone. Good morning/afternoon/evening

Yvette Guigneaux:  if you can see the chat - would the 202# and the 703# kindly identify for the record please?

Chris Wilson:  i did earlier. I am 6514

Yvette Guigneaux:  hi Chris - my apologies, that one got by me - thank you for identifying

Chris Wilson:  no problem.  thanks.

Philip Corwin:  I am 703

avri doria:  the IRP may be a little heavy, but we should not be crating yet another problem resolution venue

Yvette Guigneaux:  hello - would the 310# kindly identify for the record?

avri doria:  we need for the subgroup's Board liaison to attend

Yvette Guigneaux:  hi Philip - copy that, thank you!

David McAuley (RySG):  Thanks bernie, that is good news

David McAuley (RySG):  Bernie, that is

Yvette Guigneaux:  if you can see the chat - would 310-437-9616 kindly identify for the record?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):  wow hang on Team it's called building consensus not a deadline driven end game

David McAuley (RySG):  what track are we on?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):  no contract penalties for slipping a deadline here we don't get revisions for updates easier if we hand homework in on time

Julf Helsingius:  I assuem we are track 1

Alan Greenberg:  SOrry for being late.  DIdn't notice the time!

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:  short track

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):  exactly Chris...  volunteer human beings

David McAuley (RySG):  Budgeting could be handles by adding "reasonableness" to be judged ultimately by Ombudsman

David McAuley (RySG):  not now

Yvette Guigneaux:  time check - 30 minute mark

David McAuley (RySG):  Nice to get board perspective

David McAuley (RySG):  what about cost

David McAuley (RySG):  reasonable cost

Vidushi Marda 2:  but perhaps defining reasonable becomes problematic?

Vidushi Marda 2:  infographic we built adter didp request:   https:  //urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.com_VidushiMarda_status_656041061278609408&d=DgICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=xjNMRR-fjlgBx7tqUEv8lZv2O9RJyMyqWkymcecegCUuwDxFVsW6VBuvkqKnS_lk&m=EBarlBfQkEd7F6cg5lkrUdsxls_hkV29hTBMdFtHux0&s=lDQRcpHfdA0MQ29Ce10Zh9fFHlxGD3QPcXH695HAx7k&e=

Vidushi Marda 2:  yes

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):  that makes sense to me Michael we need to be careful re our specific mandate within WS2...  other work later may of course but

Vidushi Marda 2:  adding "providing reasons" or something similar?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):  .... but

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):  should say build on our foundations

Vidushi Marda 2:  my analysis so far shows that as the most often used clause, and my concern is that the newamendment wouldnt change much

Vidushi Marda 2:  I will do so in the next week?

Vidushi Marda 2:  sure

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:  Important remark:   ICANN per se does not have "commercial interests"; although some of its stakeholders do. I would avoid any expression tending to accredit the notion that ICANN is or should be a "commercial venture"...

Yvette Guigneaux:  time check - 15 minute mark

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:  No, ICANN does not have "commercial interests".

Philip Corwin:  ICANN is non-profit, but not non-commercial

Vidushi Marda 2:  in order to define ICANN's commercial interests, we need to know where it gets we need to know where it gets its money from :  )

Philip Corwin:  A third of a $billion in new gTLD application fees sure looks commercial

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:  Yes, but the "commercial information" does not originate in, nor belong to ICANN. That belongs to the commercial interests of some stakeholders. I insist on this point, and would oppose the current wording.

Vidushi Marda 2:  reposting, just for the benefit of discussion:   https:  //urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.com_VidushiMarda_status_656041061278609408&d=DgICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=xjNMRR-fjlgBx7tqUEv8lZv2O9RJyMyqWkymcecegCUuwDxFVsW6VBuvkqKnS_lk&m=EBarlBfQkEd7F6cg5lkrUdsxls_hkV29hTBMdFtHux0&s=lDQRcpHfdA0MQ29Ce10Zh9fFHlxGD3QPcXH695HAx7k&e=

Philip Corwin:  If commercial is to be omitted what term is to replace it?

Wale Bakare:  The interest is about providing services but not-for-profit. The term commercial contextually may mean profit driven. My thought though.

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:  @Alan, ICANN renting space does not amount to "ICANN's commercial interests". It's simply part of their necessity to function.

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:  Yes, "the commercial interests of its stakeholders who have those interests".

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:  of SOME of its stakeholders. Alan can confirm, inter alia, that ALAC does not have commercial interests...

Vidushi Marda 2:  Can we have some time to think about wording? maybe on list?

Vidushi Marda 2:  we might be benefitting some interests

Michael Karanicolas:  of course vidushi

Ricardo Holmquist:  if you put some, and I understand ALAC does not have, it only causes controversy

David McAuley (RySG):  Since this is about paragraph 11 I remain of view stated earlier regarding NDAs

Ricardo Holmquist:  which one has to open the information, which not

David McAuley (RySG):  I will try to do so within a week

Ricardo Holmquist:  just put them all, if a stakeholder does not have commercial interest, doesnt have to open any information

Philip Corwin:  ICANN enters into enforceable legal agreements with contracted parties from which it derives tens of $millions in fees. How can that not be regarded as commercial ararnegements in furtherance of its non-profit purposes?

Wale Bakare:  "Some" carries maybe 70% of stakeholders , more than 50%

Vidushi Marda 2:  +1 Phil

Yvette Guigneaux:  time check - 5 minute mark

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):  thanks everyone

Vidushi Marda 2:  bye all

Wale Bakare:  Thank you, and bye

Julf Helsingius:  Thank you everyone

David McAuley (RySG):  Thanks all, good bye

Vidushi Marda 2:  thanks!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):  Seasons Greetings,  bye for now

Ricardo Holmquist:  bye