Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Members:  Avri Doria, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Donna Austin, Eduardo Diaz, Elise Lindeberg, Greg Shatan, Jaap Akkerhuis, Jonathan Robinson, Lise Fuhr, Maarten Simon, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Paul Kane, Wanawit Ahkuputra   (13)

Participants:  Alissa Cooper, Chuck Gomes, Harold Arcos, Jorge Cancio, Martin Boyle, Matthew Shears, Robin Gross, Sabine Meyer   (8)

Legal Counsel:  Sharon Flanagan

Guests: Kurt Rossler

Staff:  Akram Atallah, Brenda Brewer, David Conrad, Grace Abuhamad, Nathalie Kurt Rossler, Nathalie Vergnolle, Samantha Eisner, Trang Nguyen, Xavier Calvez, Yuko Green

Apologies: 

**Please let Brenda know if your name has been left off the list (attendees or apologies).**

Agenda

1. Opening Remarks

2. Implementation

3. PTI Bylaws

4. Client Committee 

• PTI Formation Documents (Articles of Incorporation, Conflict of Interest Policy)

• ICANN-PTI Contract

• IANA IPR

• Annex C

5. Project Costing Support Team

6. AOB

7. Closing Remarks

Notes

1. Openings Remarks

• Purpose of the call: bring CWG-Stewardship 'up to speed' on latest implementation updates and legal issues. 

2. Implementation 

• Presentation of status update from Trang Nguyen. 
  • PTI staffing memo is expected this week, and will be forwarded to the CWG. 

Action: staff to forward staffing memo to CWG after it has been shared with IOTF. 

3. PTI Bylaws

• Sidley has reviewed the PTI Bylaws and provided notes to ICANN and notes to the CWG. Staff have pulled together two tables (one for notes to ICANN and one for notes to CWG). 
  • ICANN will respond to the "notes to ICANN". The CWG is informed of these notes for transparency. 
  • The IOTF will take the lead in producing responses for the CWG. 

Action: staff to add footnote #25 to chart: Does CWG have a view regarding how far in advance the public comment process needs to be completed. 
Note that DT-O is working on timing and process questions as well. 

Action: Chairs to come back to the group with a process for providing timely and complete answers. 

4. Client Committee

• Need to find a way to allow ICANN and Sidley to interact directly to complete the legal work, while still maintaining transparency and reporting to the full CWG.
  • Clarification needed around the ICANN-PTI Contracts (see action item on staffing memo above and action item on combination opetions below). 
  • IANA IPR document has been reviewed by Sidley and the result has been shared with IPR team and the CWG. 

Action: staff is considering the suggestion made by Sidley to combine all contracts into one. 

5. Project Costing Support Team

• Bernard Turcotte submitted a report to the Chairs of the Transition related groups (CWG, CCWG, ICG) regarding the spending and costs associated of the transition.

Action: Chairs to share that document with the CWG. 

6. AOB

• Next call is scheduled for 2 weeks from now. Chairs will consider an earlier call if needed. 

7. Closing Remarks

Action Items

Action: staff to forward staffing memo to CWG after it has been shared with IOTF. 

Action: staff to add footnote #25 to chart: Does CWG have a view regarding how far in advance the public comment process needs to be completed. 
Note that DT-O is working on timing and process questions as well. 

Action: Chairs to come back to the group with a process for providing timely and complete answers. 

Action: staff is considering the suggestion made by Sidley to combine all contracts into one. 

Action: Chairs to share that document with the CWG. 

Transcript

Recordings

Documents

Chat Transcript

Brenda Brewer: (6/2/2016 09:36) Good day all and welcome to CWG IANA Meeting #80 on 2 June 2016 @ 15:00 UTC!

Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (09:56) hello everyone

Grace Abuhamad: (09:58) Hi Olivier

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (09:59) could you hear me?

Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (09:59) Yes

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (09:59) Hi all.

jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland): (10:00) Hi all

matthew shears: (10:00) hello!

Wanawit Ahkuputra: (10:01) hi

Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (10:02) Wait, what else can the AC room do?

Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (10:02) ;)

maarten simon: (10:03) hi

Eduardo Diaz (ALAC): (10:03) @Grace: I will be in the Adobe room only

matthew shears: (10:03) can it make tea?

Grace Abuhamad: (10:03) It can do many things, but making tea is not a feature (yet!)

Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (10:03) Matthew, it absolutely should.

Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (10:03) Esp given that it's 5 o'clock in the afternoon where I am.

matthew shears: (10:05) exactly!

Paul Kane: (10:24) Sorry - microphone not workin

Grace Abuhamad: (10:25) Would you like a dial out Paul?

Paul Kane: (10:26) Brenda is on it... thanks

Sharon Flanagan: (10:28) These documents are all interrelated.  Agree there are issues if one gets out too far ahead of other(s)

Paul Kane: (10:29) No - I can hear but can't speak

Paul Kane: (10:29) Thanks Lise - you covered some of them

Paul Kane: (10:30) The issue was related to shared services.  The affiliate should be seperate

Paul Kane: (10:30) What shared services are you talking about other than secondment

Paul Kane: (10:31) ok .... 

jaap akkerhuis: (10:31) My other call ended early :-)

matthew shears: (10:31) agree we should discuss shared services and secondment further in IOTF

matthew shears: (10:38) Is there a real need for a chair or are we overloading the PTI?

Paul Kane: (10:38) Whilst the current IANA Manager is competent - in the past there have been some really bad IANA Managers!

matthew shears: (10:41) + 1 Jonathan's idea and + 1 Chuck's caution - warrants further discussion

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (10:42) Agreed that too much change might be somehow unstable

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (10:42) Process question:  How will the CWG reach closer on decisions that Sidley has flagged?

matthew shears: (10:42) agree 1 yr is short

Lise Fuhr: (10:42) @Jonathyan I agree it should be a longer term

Lise Fuhr: (10:44) @Chuck we will go though the table again when it has written answers

Jonathan Robinson: (10:44) @Chuck. It feels to me that a smaller grou - the IOTF? - drafts responses based on Sidley's input, discussion here and general understanding of the intent of the CWG. Then bring these back tot he CWG for review / ratification.

Lise Fuhr: (10:44) @Jonathan agree with that procedure

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (10:45) @ Jonathan:  I think that would work.  Let's make sure though that the members of the IOTF are able to take this task on.  If not, a separate group could be formed.

Jonathan Robinson: (10:45) Thanks Lise. So here we seek inital input and comment from CWG to assist drafting of responses

Jonathan Robinson: (10:46) @Chuck. Good point. I have assumed that the IOTF could. Any comments from IOTF members?

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (10:46) As just one IOTF member, I think I could do it.

Paul Kane: (10:47) Agree Sharon

matthew shears: (10:47) yes agree

Jonathan Robinson: (10:48) I have an inherent conflict of interest in that I am proposed as an interim director. That said, I have a particular interest / experience in the corporate govenrance issues that this throws up so am keen to disclose the interest and contribute.

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (10:48) It sounds to me like Jonathan & Lise have already thought about a lot of the issues.  If they are able, I would be comfortable with them proposed some possible positions as a starting point.

martin boyle, Nominet: (10:48) @Chuck +1

Samantha Eisner: (10:50) The compensation issue, if compensation were requested, would require substnatial research on ICANN's part to identify reasonable compensation, particularly as its not clear what the level of activities  of Board members for PTI would be

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (10:50) I think Jonathan's expertise is more important than possible conflicts he may have; we as a group are capable of filtering out conflicts if they are pertinent.

Samantha Eisner: (10:51) We could not just rely on the level of compensation that has been determined as reasonable for ICANN directors, which is based on the number of hours/evel of activity of the ICANN Board that has been established overrtime

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (10:51) Sam's point is a good one.  It seems to me that we would be better off considering the compensation issue after we have a better idea of the workload.  That it is the way it happened with the ICANN Board.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): (10:52) agree

Paul Kane: (10:53) I have never been comfortable with Directors obtaining funding.  Travel is one thing ....

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (10:54) I generally agree with Paul but I personally think that ICANN directors are an exception.  Their workload is significantly larger than typical directors.

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (10:55) I am not suggesting though PTI directors should be compensated.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): (10:56) no hbarm in remaining dilent on com pensation IMO

Samantha Eisner: (10:57) @Cheryl, we'd have to get input on whether that is a point that we are able to stay silent on, given the restrictions that are in place on compensation levels

Paul Kane: (10:57) Remember the IANA used to be just 2 people - and it is today getting FAR too complicated! :-)

martin boyle, Nominet: (10:58) struggling to think aboutpossible reasons for an advisory committee

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): (10:58) ok Sam then we should do so

Paul Kane: (10:58) It a very small database function!

martin boyle, Nominet: (10:58) "Possible to do but not expected" wording?

Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (10:58) Martin, is this meant to be a challenge? ;)

David Conrad: (10:58) @Paul, IANA does far, far more today than it ever has.

Paul Kane: (10:59) yes agree, but I fear more people/more complications

Jonathan Robinson: (10:59) @Paul. Understood on complicated but you or perhaps others would like to see a degree of independence from ICANN and so we need to walk the line between being a "wholly owned subsidiary" and creating some autonomy / independence for the benefit of IANA customers / users.

David Conrad: (10:59) The functions are the same, more or less, but the scale has grown with the Internet.

Paul Kane: (11:00) David C - sure, agree

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (11:00) Expanded SLEs add new complexity.

Samantha Eisner: (11:00) On the delegation of president's authority, really what is contemplated with that is when the PTI Board directs the President to do something, can the President delegate to his/her staff to help the President fulfill his/her duties, while still remaining responsible for the completion of that task

Paul Kane: (11:00) Chuck :-)  ... hence automate and reduce hassle!

martin boyle, Nominet: (11:00) @Sabine:  if you like!  I really feel nervous about PTI taking over lots of roles that really belong elsewhere.  But there might be reasons for them to have a committe, so I'm nervous about banning it

martin boyle, Nominet: (11:01) It could be unstated for the Board to decide

Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (11:02) I understand the nervosity. But simply pointing towards ICANN as the appropriate adressee would be insufficient at least in one event I could think of.

Lise Fuhr: (11:02) HI All, I have to leave now - I trust Jonathan to take good care of you all ;-)

Lise Fuhr: (11:02) Bye all

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (11:03) My understanding is the 9 months isn't just for ICANN processes but also IANA budget processes.

Donna Austin: (11:04) Sorry to join late, I was on another call.

Paul Kane: (11:09) Well done Sharon - you raise some excellent points

Paul Kane: (11:10) And we need to think carefully on your points as it changes the flavour of the CWG proposal

matthew shears: (11:10) yes, excellent analysis and key points

Sharon Flanagan: (11:11) happy to

Paul Kane: (11:18) Exactly - Jonathan.  That is the new issue.

matthew shears: (11:20) that justification will be key to all the community

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (11:21) @ Paul:  I am hoping that the memo that Trang said might be finished this week should help us spread the word on the secondment approach.

Alissa Cooper: (11:21) But even without secondment, isn't there an argument that a separate contract for shared services (e.g., IT and so forth) would be necessary?

Paul Kane: (11:21) We need to understand the justifictations so we can brief our respective communities

Paul Kane: (11:22) The surprise is the "shared services" with ICANN

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (11:24) Shared services is not a new concept.  It has been discussed for months including in the FY15 Draft Operating Plan & Budget.

Paul Kane: (11:25) OK - happy to be corrected. 

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (11:27) I mistyped:  FY17 Draft Operating Plan & Budget.

Alissa Cooper: (11:29) I think both of the other communities have been quite clear that ICANN can arrange its relations with its affiliate however it wants as long as the agreements between the communities and ICANN are being fulfilled.

Jonathan Robinson: (11:29) @Alissa. Exactly. Thank-you for that confirmation / reminder.

Alissa Cooper: (11:30) dropping from adobe but will be on the phone still

Avri Doria 2: (11:31) if there is a bright line between PTI and ICANN it is becoming harder to find.

matthew shears: (11:32) = 1 Avri

matthew shears: (11:33) edit + 1 Avri

Paul Kane: (11:33) Yes fine Jonathan

Paul Kane: (11:34) I hope the corrected Bylaws will be sent out soon for all to review

Trang Nguyen: (11:34) @Jonathan, could I please come back to your point about finding a way to allow ICANN and Sidley to interact directly?

Avri Doria 2: (11:35) ok, the bright dotted line.

Paul Kane: (11:35) I would like to emphasise Avri's point so

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (11:35) Is there giong to be another comment period on the implementation of the recommendations?

Paul Kane: (11:36) we need to make sure the brief is very clear

Paul Kane: (11:36) currently the line is getting lost

Sharon Flanagan: (11:36) I am comfortable as well

Trang Nguyen: (11:39) @Olivier, are you referring to the PTI Bylaws and contracts?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (11:39) I am referring to implementation as we are currently seeing it proposed

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (11:39) So yes, the contracts, the details of the implementation. ICANN bylaws are already past us. PTI bylaws are in the process....

Paul Kane: (11:40) Agree - not preclude,  but ...exactly .... we need to be clear

Trang Nguyen: (11:40)  We will post the PTI Bylaws, articles of incorporation and the contracts for public comment

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (11:41) ok thanks Trang

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (11:41) At this point, does NTIA have any say in the implementation too?

Paul Kane: (11:41) The PTI Bylaws are still in draft - not ready for review.  Annex C still needs to be captured

Paul Kane: (11:42) Sidley have drafted but not before CWG yet

Sharon Flanagan: (11:42) We are updating the Annex C table document and will circulate.  Then those concepts must be added to bylaws and contract.

Trang Nguyen: (11:42) We are in frequent contact with NTIA to provide them with status of the implementation work.

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (11:42) Thanks Jonathan

Paul Kane: (11:42) Thanks Sharon - yes the concepts must be added

Paul Kane: (11:42) before circulation

Xavier Calvez: (11:43) And the co-chairs of the ICG as well.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (11:43) Thanks @Trang. That's helpful.

Sharon Flanagan: (11:43) @Paul - understood

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (11:44) I gather at this point that coordination between all operational communities plus NTIA plus IGC is really important o nobody comes out sudently against the implementation and throws cold water over the whole plan

Trang Nguyen: (11:45) The IOTF includes representation from the ICG (Alissa) and the other 2 operational communities to ensure coordination

Sharon Flanagan: (11:46) I will drop now if ok

Grace Abuhamad: (11:46) sounds good. Thank you Sharon

Jonathan Robinson: (11:46) No problem. Thank-you Sharon.

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (11:48) Thanks everyone.

jaap akkerhuis: (11:48) Thanks all

jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland): (11:48) bye, thanks all

Elise Lindeberg, GAC Norway: (11:48) by

maarten simon: (11:48) thanks, bye

matthew shears: (11:48) thanks

Trang Nguyen: (11:48) Thanks everyone.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (11:48) thanks everyone.

Greg Shatan: (11:48) Bye all!

martin boyle, Nominet: (11:48) thanks all & bye