Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Summary above by  Olivier Crepin Leblond - Email sent to EURALO Board mailing list Fri 1/8/2016 11:56 AM

Goals- Email sent by Mikhail  on Thu 1/14/2016 5:14 AM

Dear Olivier, dear colleagues.

Sorry for a delay with response to Olivier’s  question about my plans as a member of the Board. To formulate a substantial response I had to study some amount of documents and notes concerning the EURALO.

So, my considerations.

1.      First of all, I believe that we are to have the only one plan of actions for a year period of time with tasks, dates and persons/responsibilities. It is absolutely what Jordi wrote "so we can set a plan and define owners, deliverables and datelines". I think to have the plan of actions or even the goals for two years period of time in current situation is unreasonable. 

2.       As for me I suggest for consideration some goals that follow from the EURALO’s purpose and scope mentioned in the MoU with ICANN:

·         to minimize the potential negative consequences for end-users from IANA stewardship transition;

·         to increase the attractiveness of EURALO for its members, potential ALS and individual users through increasing the level of transparency of the EURALO’s activities and decision making;

·         to become more multilingual;

·         to become more oriented to the human rights.

In my opinion, the main tasks for the first goal are the following:

• monitoring of the transformation processes in ICANN in the context of IANA stewardship transition and  if necessary, elaboration of corresponding proposals, aimed at protecting the end-users interests and rights
  • Within the second goal the main task is the adoption of new  EURALO statutory documents. The real life of EURALO is far from what is written in the “Articles of Association”. (A list of some significant contradictions is given lower.) This mismatch between the “Articles of Association” and the real life is one of the factors that interfere with the process of EURALO’s  enlargement, outreach and inreach, cause risks and the internal problems for the organization.

I suggest adopting two new documents. One should contain the basic information about the organization, its goals and objectives, governing bodies with their rights and duties and basic procedures of election. The second document – Rules of Procedure – should describe EURALO’s procedures.

It should be noted that such document is specified by the current Bylaw (paragraph 9.1. Articles of Association) but is still missing. It’s obvious that mentioned documents should be written taking into account the changes in ICANN in connection with IANA stewardship transition.

As for the third goal I guess we are to use more than one English language on our site and in the documents. At least Bylaw and key documents and decisions should be published in several languages.

Within the framework of the fourth goal, we can delegate our representative to the working party on human rights in order at least to be in touch with the process.

Conclusion. The primary objective for the nearest future is to develop mentioned plan of actions. I believe this work should be headed by our Chair.

All the best. Mikhail Medrish

•  Olivier Crepin Leblond

• Goals sent to mailing  list on  28/12/15: