Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

This is an excerpt from the full announcement available here

Following the request of the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) forICANN to "convene a multistakeholder process to develop a plan to transition the U.S. government stewardship role" with regard to the IANA Functions and related root zone management, a Cross Community Working Group (CWG) was tasked with developing a consolidated transition proposal for the elements of the IANA Functions relating to the Domain Name System (DNS). The CWG has now published its draft transition proposal for public comment. Comments can be submitted until 22 December at 23:59 UTC.

In order to brief the community on the contents on this draft transition proposal and encourage community feedback, the CWG will be organizing three identical webinars at different times to facilitate participation across time zones. The webinars will take place on:

• 3 December from 7:00 – 8:30 UTC (time zone converter here)
  • 4 December from 12:30 – 14:00 UTC (time zone converter here)
  • 4 December from 16:00 – 17:30 UTC (time zone converter here)

Webinar Details & How to Attend

The webinars will be run in an Adobe Connect room. If you are interested in attending the webinar and would like to receive dial-in details, please send an email to grace.abuhamad@icann.org and indicate which day / time you would like to attend the webinar. Please note that the webinar will be conducted in English and will be recorded and transcribed. Subsequently the transcripts will be translated in the 5 UN languages and posted on the CWG Wiki here.

Slides presented for all three Webinars are available hereWebinar slides - Final- 2 Dec 2014.pdf

Webinar 1

3 December from 07:00 - 08:30 UTC

Attendance: 45 people 

Transcript: 

Adobe Connect Recordinghttps://icann.adobeconnect.com/p9nflef0lbs/

Chat Transcript

Marika Konings:Welcome to the Webinar on the draft transition proposal of the CWG to develop an IANA Stewardship Transition Proposal on Naming Related Functions

Lise Fuhr:Hi - I will join the call in 5 minutes

Lise Fuhr:Jonathan will be presenting this webinar

Jonathan Robinson:Hello

Marika Konings:Yes, we can hear you well

Chris Disspain:can hear you fine

Tomohiro Fujisaki:Very good!

Shiva Upadhyay:yes

Jonathan Robinson:Thank-you

Lise Fuhr:I can't hear Jonathan

Marika Konings:We cannot hear you on the phone bridge though - we are looking into it

Greg Shatan:Hello all.

Chuck Gomes (RySG):Greetings to all

Greg Shatan:Is there anything you need from me,technically?

Marika Konings:Maybe an audio check?

Allan MacGillivray (.ca):Hello everyone.

Yasuichi Kitamura:hi, all

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:hello

Yasuichi Kitamura:i can hear you.

Rinalia Abdul Rahim:audio amazingly good all around.

Yaovi Atohoun:Good audio

jaap akkerhuis SSAC:Hi All, I assume audio is listening inly?

Grace Abuhamad:Yes listen only via Adobe

Chris Disspain:I have a couple of questions to be addressed at the appropriate time. 1. Is this structure a RECOMMENDATION of the CWG or simply a strawman and b) on the independent appeals panel could someone please clarify whether it is intended that ccTLD dlegation/redelegation issues would be ultimately decided by this panel. Thakns.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:last one wil be an interesting response I suspect

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:as we need to look also to the recent work of the FOI-WG on that topic

Rinalia Abdul Rahim:Question: Who would set the performance criteria for the MRT and its members?  Would the MRT evaluate the performance of its own members or would it let the sending organizations/multstakeholder community to do it?

Chris Disspain:uestion so the 19 members agreed on this? or the 100 plus etc?

Oscar Mike:Has there been any deliberation regarding the choice of jurisdiction for the contracts between Contract Co. and the IANA Function Operator?

Chris Disspain:which with all due respect is specifically out of the scope of the CWG

Chuck Gomes (RySG):@ Chris:  We have not done a consensus call.

Chris Disspain:ah...thanks Jonathan. I'm fine with that but had understood you wanted questions for clarification now

John Poole:If ICANN breaches the IANA contract (but ICANN disputes that it is in breach) who funds the litigation budget of the Contract Co? By your own admission, Contract Co is like a shell corporation, hardly having the resources of the US government, and probably unable to withstand multi-million dollar legal budget of ICANN?

Chuck Gomes (RySG):@ Chris:  What is out of scope?

Rinalia Abdul Rahim:Thanks for the response, Greg.

Lise Fuhr:Hi all, I need to leave - goodbye.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Bye Lise

Chris Disspain:@Chuck the charter says that recommendations on delegation and re-del are out of scope og CWG (I'm paraphrasing)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Thanks for the heads up Paul S ;-)

Oksana Prykhodko:regarding consensus call for broad community: if the purpose of some participants is not to reach consensus, but  just to block the whole process, what can be done to prevent this threat?

Oscar Mike:Would the decision of the Independent Appeals Panel  be binding upon and to that effect modify the contract between Contract Co. and  IANA Functions Operator?

Bertrand:Thanks for the description of the fine line, Jonathan.

Chuck Gomes (RySG):Thanks Chris.

Bertrand:So ICANN would fund the lawsuit against ICANN ??

Chris Disspain:win lose or draw

Oksana Prykhodko:What is the difference between veto and not having unanimousous support?

Rinalia Abdul Rahim:@Bertrand - would ICANN win against ICANN? :)

Oscar Mike:Thanks Greg

Bertrand:@Rinalia: I am not sure I understood Greg's answer regarding the funding of a lawsuit.

Chris Disspain:Question - may I go back to the issue of the proposal...if it is a proposal of the CWG (notwithstanding there's been no consensus call) then what is the standing of the the other proposal that you've specifically asked for input on ie "leave evrything with ICANN"?

Oscar Mike:Can we establish a clear separation of power among the various bodies, as charted out by the CWG?

Oksana Prykhodko:Thank you very much!

Guru Acharya:@Bertrand: From what I understand, the IANA Functions Contract can require the IANA Functions Operator to indemnify Contract Co for any litigation expenses.

Chris Disspain:thanks Jonathan...understood

Greg Shatan:@Bertrand -- Guru is correct on the indemnification point.

Sivasubramanian M:@Chris  It is not "leave everything with ICANN',  but "don't change anything that works well"  There are several aspects to the coordination of names and numbers that may go through an ongoing review and improvement process. It is not necessary to compress everything within a limited time frame in this context of a limited task of Iana oversight transition

Grace Abuhamad:The Public Comment boc is here https://www.icann.org/public-comments/cwg-naming-transition-2014-12-01-en

Grace Abuhamad:box*

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Chris: it is a mischaracterisation to say "leave everything within ICANN". There are many concerns about an external contracting entity and an external multistakeholder Review Team - because at the moment neither jurisdiction nor they exact structure has been worked out

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:and the alternative of leaving some of these functions within committees that would be part of ICANN has not been considered in enough detail accounding to some members of the CWG

Chris Disspain:@ Olivier  - yes understood..I was using shorthand hence the "" marks

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:So it would indeed be interesting to hear comments about this in the public consultation

Sivasubramanian M:@ Chris @ Olivier  May be it could be recharterized as a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it proposal"

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Greg & Jonathan -- thank you for pointing this out - it was appreciated that the PC explicitly pointed this alternative work

Oscar Mike:To reframe my question how would it ensure the "independence" of the Independent Appeals Panel?

Oscar Mike:Thank you.

Bob:Thank you

Chuck Gomes (RySG):Nice job Jonathan and Greg. Thanks.

Chris Disspain:many thanks to all who put this together

chinmaya mishra:Thank you

Rinalia Abdul Rahim:Thanks everyone!

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Siva - to some extent, some would indeed characterize it as you are saying, but others disagree

Jonathan Robinson:Thank-you all

Oksana Prykhodko:Thank you all! Bye

Webinar 2

4 December from 12:30 - 14:00 UTC

Attendance: 60 people 

Transcript: 

Adobe Connect Recording: https://icann.adobeconnect.com/p48h2wmk8kl/

Chat Transcript: 

Webinar 3

4 December from 16:00 - 17:30 UTC

Attendance: 45 people 

Transcript: