Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Answers from Candidates (in order of the candidates' surname)

Sebastien Bachollet

Candidate has not yet submitted answersYes.

Pierre Dandjinou

For the ALAC  to become equivalent in its influence within ICANN as the GAC, we should further understand why the GAC has its current influence; It’is a Government led constituency with certain power in policy making; It has a financial basis with most government participants covering their own fees to participating to Icann’s meetings. I am not quite sure whether a change in the by-laws would suffice in giving the ALAC the same right of advice. Having said that, I do believe we have come a long way with ALAC now being fully recognized as a major constituency with more and more ALS being created. ALAC has got its legitimacy within ICANN, but I think its real power and influence will come when the user at large is fully contributing to the ICANN process, as a consumer, a registrant and an end user.

Answers from Candidates (in order of the candidates' surname)

Sebastien Bachollet

ICANN is organized as a non-profit corporation “for charitable and public purposes” under the California Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation Law.

The AoC stated: “Ensuring accountability, transparency and the interests of global Internet users”.

Therefore I don’t see many risk to have often a huge difference between: ”what you believe is best for ICANN as a California corporation with your role as a representative of the members of the At-Large” .

If it’s to happen I will explain the reasons to the At-Large and ALAC.

By the way the Director will not be formally a representative of ALAC (but see the discussion of that in NARALO question N° 18)Candidate has not yet submitted answers.

Pierre Dandjinou

The question is a tricky one. As per the by-laws of ICANN a Director does not represent a constituency as such. However, seat no15 being a special one for the At large community, I believe there should be a way in which the Director find the good balance between what he thinks is good for ICANN and also what better for the At-Large group.