Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Answers from Candidates (in order of the candidates' surname)

Sebastien BacholletCandidate has not yet submitted answers.

I push the idea from the ICANN meeting in Lisbon (Portugal) and it finally happen that an ALS summit was conduct during the ICANN meeting in Mexico.

My plan is not anymore my plan but it is the one of At-Large/ALAC express during the last year discussion about the Strategic planning of ICANN:
http://forum.icann.org/lists/stratplan-2010/pdfNNwy32lraJ.pdf

Wiki Markup
“ALAC wishes to add one strategic project for the strategic objectives \[All stakeholders have a voice at the table\]: *“ALSes in every country”.*

This will support the implementation of the community recommendations discussed and defined during the first ICANN At‐Large Summit in Mexico in March 2009 to improve ICANN’s transparency and accountability.

In this context it was stated that a further empowerment of ICANN’s At‐Large structure is necessary. More incentives and enabling mechanisms for ALSes and user communities are essential to strengthen multi‐stakeholder participation and the voice of Internet users in the ICANN’s decision making process. In this framework, RALOs (which were set‐up by an MOU between ALSs and ICANN in the 5 regions) need more institutional support and funding to allow them to organize regular General Assemblies and outreach activities (such as, in Europe, the ICANN‐Studienkreis meeting, EuroDIG etc.). With this assistance from ICANN, RALOs will be given the opportunity to reach, during the next 3 years, an ambitious goal to double the number of countries where, at least, one ALS will join the RALOs (see some more details next page).

During the next strategic plan (e.g. 2013 – 2016) the goal of At‐Large, with the strong support of ICANN, will be to organize a second ICANN At‐Large Summit.

Timeline:

• 2010 – 2013

o One RALO General Assembly in each region,

o To recruit new ALSes to cover 80% of the countries in each region.

• 2013 ‐ 2016

o A second ICANN At‐Large Summit,

o New ALSes to join.

This project should be undertaken in conjunction with GAC and ccNSO (and possibly with stakeholder groups of the non‐contracted House of the GNSO). ALAC hopes that a synergy could be found along similar objectives.”

Pierre Dandjinou

I believe the next decade will see an increase of other billions of Internet users, namely due to the broadband facilities and mobile telephony. Issues related to security and personal data handling as well as privacy will be come paramount. I also believe the key challenges of ICANN in coming decades will be how best to preserve its multistakeholders structure in the face of  those creeping’ missions’ Enhanced participation of the at large community is hence unavoidable and any holistic plan to outreach user community should include use of social networks as well as other mechanisms to make the users more aware of their rights and up coming issues. Outreaching the user community will mean that we strive to highlight their interests and needs, and while ICANN with its technical coordination role will still have a central role in helping with the outreach, other stakeholders might come on the fore to deal with security issues, and privacy issues. An action plan should integrate who and how best to approach these stakeholders so that they also contribute to integrating the user community in their overall policy making process.