Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Questions to the Candidates from the RALOs and Answers from the Candidates

AFRALO

Questions prepared by Tijani Ben Jemaa:

As a Board Director selected by At-Large,

• How would you support the At-Large community?
  • What kind of support would you provide the RALOs and ALAC?
  • Even if you are not obliged, will you report to ALAC?
  • Will you meet with the ALAC and listen to the At-Large concerns and ideas? How often?
  • Will you help to implement the At-Large projects and activities? How?

Answers from Candidates (in order of the candidates' surname)

Sebastien Bachollet

Staff will publish, I am sure, in a few moments my answers to your questions.

But I you want to see them now or have some direct exchange with me do not hesitate to go to my blog.

ttp://sebastien.bachollet.fr

Thanks

Pierre Dandjinou

Let me thank you for the questions. Let me also thank all who has put so much effort in Baining that seat no15 which actually is a mark of the many envolements undergone by the ICANN and the Special SO which is the ALAC.

As a Board Director selected by the At Large Community, I understand that my role should be to become a voice of the At Large on the Board . Of course, while the by-laws of ICANN has precise requirements from its Board members who, once elected, should strive to represent the ICANN and not its SO, I do believe there is something special with this new position; thus, one of my constant effort will be to make sure the importance of the users’ voice be understood by my fellow Directors. In this regards, I will take initiatives to further explain why it’s so important that we listen more to the at large community, and that our Policy development strategy further integrate their interests and needs.  This means that I consider myself on a special mission; therefore, I will find ways in which to communicate with and support the at large community.

Indeed, one of the plaguing issue affecting the at large community is the difficulties in outreaching to all our ALS; most of them require more face to face meetings so as to effectively socialize and brainstorm over the many issues that the user at large is dealing with when it comes to Internet development and usage. I will therefore support any budget increase to effectively contribute to more global and regional forums for the ALS. Whenever possible, I should report back  to the community through the bureau of the ALAC, an also will help formalize regular feedbacks from the Board to the ALAC.

More than the past, I will strive to make myself accessible to the community and of course I will support any initiatives and projects deemed useful to the At large community. As a former Chair of the AFRALO, I have some fair knowledge of our problems and would not spare my efforts to help solve them.

Alan Greenberg

The question of supporting the At-Large Community and the RALOs and ALSs is both easy and difficult. A Director is not on the Board to be an advocate FOR the groups that put him or her there. But presumably if selected by those groups, the Director understands the needs and desires of that group, and generally agrees and supports these needs. As such, an At-Large Director (including me if I am selected) is likely to be an advocate for specific initiatives coming out of At-Large. I think that one of the largest contributions that the Director can make is to ensure that the ALAC and RALO leadership understand the perspective with which the Board will approach its decisions. More likely, there will be multiple perspectives since the Board may well be divided on issues. Understanding these positions will allow At-Large to make stronger arguments for what it wants to see happen.

“Reporting back” is probably not the correct term for the interactions between the Director and ALAC. Certainly there will be regular interactions. I think that it is a given that schedules permitting, the Director would participate in some ALAC meetings both at ICANN meetings and teleconferences. Only experience will allow a reasonable prediction of the exact frequency. I am presuming that the Director will be on the standard ALAC and At-Large lists, and will therefore be able to monitor and intervene as appropriate. That has certainly been the case with some GNSO Directors in my experience. It would be foolish for the At-Large Director OR the ALAC to not ensure that there is a regular exchange of issues, and I do not consider either myself or the current ALAC foolish!

APRALO

The following questions were prepared by Hong Xue on behalf of APRALO.

If you agree with these recommendations, what would be your work plan to implement them?

Sebastien Bachollet

Candidate has not yet submitted answers.

2.At-Large Community had expressed strong interest in supporting the Independent Objector mechanism defined in Final Guidebook, i.e. "acts solely in the best interests of the public who use the global Internet", particularly at Mexico At-Large Summit. What is your view on IO and at-large's involvement as the public-interest goalkeeper?

Sebastien Bachollet

3. ICANN's fast-track IDN ccTLDs program meets the pressing need of IDN communities but also introduces a couple of ad hoc solutions, such as character variants allocation and management. Do you believe new gTLD program should maintain these policies when evaluating IDN gTLDs for consistence or overrule them?

Sebastien Bachollet

4. Enhancement of involvement and participation of at-large community is essential for ICANN's next decade. Do you have a holistic plan to outreach user community? Would you support another at-large summit or make summit a regular channel for users' direct participation in ICANN activities?

Sebastien Bachollet

5. ICANN Board recently approved the policy regarding vertical integration in gTLD domains. Do you believe the new policy would enhance competition and benefit Internet users, including but not limited to registrants? Under the new policy, how would ICANN strengthen oversight over registries that acquire the opportunity to directly provide registration services?

Sebastien Bachollet

6. Under the present policy, at-large director elected will replace ALAC Liaison on the Board. Do you think, despite the addition of at-large director, ALAC Liaison should be retained, through which at-large community's views could be streamlined to the Board?

Sebastien Bachollet

1. To what extent do you think that the ALAC should be equivalent in its influence within ICANN to the GAC.  Should the by-laws be changed to give the ALAC the same right of advice as the GAC has?

Sebastien Bachollet

2. How do you plan to balance your commitment to doing what you believe is best for ICANN as a California corporation with your role as a representative of the members of the At-Large?  How do you propose handling it when your vote runs counter to the advice of the ALAC and At-Large.

Sebastien Bachollet

3. What do you plan to do about the Culture of Secrecy that exists in ICANN.  What role does the Board have to play in making ICANN more transparent and accountable?

Sebastien Bachollet

4. What degree of oversight do you think the Board should exert over the Staff and its activities.

Sebastien Bachollet

5. Do you accept that ICANN remains a US based corporation or do you have a plan for increasing its International status.

Sebastien Bachollet

6. Do you agree with the current salary levels of the senior managers in ICANN.  Do you think the Board should change the levels of compensation to be more in keeping with the non-profit of ICANN.  If so, how do you plan seeing this dealt with?

Sebastien Bachollet

7. What is your plan for any excess funds that may be derived from new gTLD auctions? 

Sebastien Bachollet

8. Do you think it is necessary for ICANN to make serious adjustments to the new gTLD process and application fees in order for it to be possible for there to be applicants from the developing economies.  what sort of changes would you be in favor of seeing?

Sebastien Bachollet

1. Please present a precise definition of the "public interest".

Sebastien Bachollet

2. What would you say is the relevance of the "public interest" in the ICANN context?

Sebastien Bachollet

3. What is the relevance of the PI for the candidates and how best it could be pursued by them (once seated on the Board)?

Sebastien Bachollet

If selected as At Large Director will you stop any involvement with new gTLD application?  Or how would you handle the possibility of having to recuse yourself from some or all discussions? Can a Director be involved in both an application and making policy that affects that or all applications?

Sebastien Bachollet

2. Please describe your experience with the following, as relevant to ICANN's mission "public policy, finance, strategic planning, corporate governance, negotiation, and dispute resolution".

Alan Greenberg

Regarding involvement in potential or planned gTLD applications, I have no such involvement.

Question from Carlos:
We heard skills and capacities of his own voices. But, and the direct question is: Why not the other two candidates?  What are the weaknesses of the other two candidates?

Sebastien Bachollet

1. How do you define "end-user," "consumer," "registrant," and where do those terms intersect?

Sebastien Bachollet

2. Describe your level of satisfaction with ICANN's current performance in responding to end-user and registrant concerns.

Sebastien Bachollet

3. Is the current speed of the new  gTLD creation process happening too fast, too slow, or at the right pace?

Sebastien Bachollet

4. What is, in your opinion, the scope of ICANN? What are the limits of its authority?

Sebastien Bachollet

5. As a Director, what would be your interest in the Registrar Accreditation Agreement?

Sebastien Bachollet

6. Describe, in as much detail as possible, your assessment of WHOIS, specifically stating your opinions on
    - the desired balance between registrant privacy and registrant accountability
    - the suitability of WHOIS to accomplish its intended purpose
    - whether WHOIS needs to be fixed, replaced, discarded or left untouched

Sebastien Bachollet

7.  What initiatives will you *personally* undertake to increase ICANN's transparency and accountability?

Sebastien Bachollet

8. Do end-users and registrants have rights within ICANN? Should they? If you answered yes to either, state how you would encourage the rest of the board to effect this.

Sebastien Bachollet

9. As you replace the accountable At-Large liaison to the Board in a role that is explicitly not accountable, describe the relationship you intend to have with ICANN's At-Large Community.
    - Are you prepared to make any commitments to levels of engagement with At-Large?
    - Are you willing to resign if incapable of meeting those comittments?

Sebastien Bachollet

10. How would you describe the "maturity" of ICANN's At-Large infrastructure?
    - What is the effect of this on ICANN policy-making?
    - What would you do to improve this?

Sebastien Bachollet

11. What is your analysis of the recent Board decision regarding vertical integration, specifically from the point of view of Internet registrants and end-users?

Sebastien Bachollet

12. All three candidates have, at least once, been appointed to their At-Large positions rather than chosen by the community. How does this impact your view of ICANN and its relationship with the public?

Sebastien Bachollet

13. What is the best possible outcome of this election process? What is the worst possible outcome?

Sebastien Bachollet

14.  Do you consider yourself a "people person"?  In other words, do you like people and do you make yourself available because you enjoy spending time listening to people's ideas and concerns?

Sebastien Bachollet

15. How many hours of a time commitment per week do you expect will be needed of you as an ICANN Board of Director?   Can you dedicate more than that?

Sebastien Bachollet

16. Are you a  founder, officer, leader or executive management of an organization  planning to submit a new TLD application to ICANN? And if so, how does that affect your ability to represent end-users at the Board?

Sebastien Bachollet