Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Who is the Expert Working Group on gTLD Directory Services?

What is the Expert Working Group on gTLD Directory Services?

The Expert Working Group on gTLD Directory Services is first step in fulfilling the ICANN Board's directive to help redefine the purpose and provision of gTLD registration data will provide a foundation to help the ICANN community (through the Generic Names Supporting Organization, GNSO) create a new global policy for gTLD directory services. In June 2013, the EWG proposed a paradigm shift – a new system in which gTLD registration data is collected, validated and disclosed for permissible purposes only, with some data elements being accessible only to authenticated requestors that are then held accountable for appropriate use. The EWG's objective is to reexamine and define the purpose of collecting and maintaining gTLD directory data, consider how to safeguard the data, and propose a next generation solution that will better serve the needs of the global Internet community.

How can I share my thoughts?

ICANN has embarked on an effort to reinvent today's WHOIS system. Be part of the solution and join the discussion!  

You also are invited to participate in the RDS Risk Survey if you provide or use gTLD domain name registration data, including Registrants, Registrars, Registries, and the broad spectrum of individuals, businesses, and other organizations that consume Whois data today.

This survey is a chance to tell the Expert Working Group on gTLD Directory Services (EWG) about the risks and benefits that the Next Generation Registration Directory Service (RDS) might have for YOU.

All risks and benefits identified through this survey will be published in aggregated, anonymized form and used by the EWG to refine RDS recommendations to reduce unanticipated and unnecessary risks and as input to a full risk assessment.

Where can I learn more about the Expert Working Group on gTLD Directory Service's proposed solution?

Multimedia
width500
nameewg.mp4
height500

FAQs

For more information,  please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions prepared by the EWG related to its Initial Report.

What are the Expert Working Group on gTLD Directory Services' current objectives and plans?

In advance of the ICANN-48 Meeting in Buenos Aires, the EWG has published a Status Update Report [PDF, 2.26 MB] that provides further insight into the EWG's analysis and highlights its current thoughts on key issues, after more extensive exploration of open areas and careful consideration of all Community comments received on its Initial Report. As the EWG's deliberations are on-going, it is hoped that this report will provide insight into the team's recommendations, answer questions, and stimulate lively Community dialogue in Buenos Aires and online input.

How can I share my thoughts?

ICANN has embarked on an effort to reinvent today's WHOIS system. Be part of the solution and join the discussion!

Contact

input-to-ewg@icann.org