Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

My current thinking is that the most important dimension to understand is how EFFECTIVE the WG was in its operations, behaviors, and protocols leading (or not) to the achievement of its mission. In particular, the WG Guidelines and Charter are important tools developed to help WGs become more effective; however, they are not ends in themselves. As a result, I do not think we should ask questions about how well organized or even useful these documents are to WG members. One reason is that a team of intelligent and committed ICANN volunteers (WG-WT) spent the better part of a year going over every paragraph to ensure that the end products were appropriately organized, thorough, clear, and useful. Apart from evaluating the broader set of tools/support that a WG is eligible to receive, we should depend upon WG members to single out any particular document(s) that are especially useful or in need of revision. A person who has participated in many WGs may never need to consult the Guidelines having learned through experience how to be a valued contributor. In my view, it is more important to know if the WG itself was effective in its forming, storming, norming, and producing stages. If any critical element of the WG process is perceived to be ineffective and the survey explanations/reasons are insufficient for proper diagnosis, the Chartering Organization can and probably should investigate further arranging follow-up interviews with WG members.