Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.
Comment: Migrated to Confluence 4.0

Wolf Ludwig:                          Yes and for us it's a good opportunity to have you on board as well.  I see a hand raised, it's Christopher Wilkinson who wanted to speak, and you have the floor Christopher.

Wiki MarkupChristopher Wilkinson:          Silvia con much gusto.  Tienes tambien \[inaudible           Silvia con much gusto.  Tienes tambien [inaudible 00:07:30\] in europa.            

Sandra Hoferichter:                 It’s that Espanol?  Si, si gracias.     

You probably have seen all the welcome messages over the last two weeks.  Together Against Cyber Crime, our new ALS, was confirmed by At-Large at the end of the ALAC meeting at the end of the Dakar conference.  And for me it's a particular pleasure to have Julia on board.  I would like to give Julia some minutes to introduce herself and I think you may recall from previous communications that Yuliya and her organization was already closely involved in several internet governance related events like EuroDIG and the IGF.  Yuliya you have the floor.unmigrated-wiki-markup

Yuliya Morenets:                    Thank you wolf.  My name is Yuliya Morenets and I represent this organization Together Against Cyber Crime.  I would like first of all to thank all members for the \[inaudible Morenets:                    Thank you wolf.  My name is Yuliya Morenets and I represent this organization Together Against Cyber Crime.  I would like first of all to thank all members for the [inaudible 00:11:01\] and we are very interested and very happy to join EURALO and every excited about the work that we will do all together for the interest of users and customers.    As wolf just said we are involved in the intent governance issues and participated in a number of internet governance forums.  And also EuroDIG and we have developed a number of social projects in order to fight against cyber crime.  Thanks so much. Wiki MarkupWolf Ludwig:                          Thanks a lot Yuliya.  Any other questions or comments from your side?  I see there is a comment from Oksana along with \[inaudible 00:11:51\] in regards from Ukraine.  As the origin of Yuliya she is a native citizen of the Ukraine and closely related to Ukrainian internet governance affairs, et cetera.  And I would like to support \[inaudible 00:12:19\] from Oksana again.  Any further questions?  As I see no hands raised on here or on Connect, let me continue with our next agenda item what is Post Dakar ICANN Policy and ALAC updates.  We have the pleasure to have Olivier on board of this monthly call and I give the floor to Olivier to give us a short update on this issue And also EuroDIG and we have developed a number of social projects in order to fight against cyber crime.  Thanks so much.

Wolf Ludwig:                          Thanks a lot Yuliya.  Any other questions or comments from your side?  I see there is a comment from Oksana along with [inaudible 00:11:51] in regards from Ukraine.  As the origin of Yuliya she is a native citizen of the Ukraine and closely related to Ukrainian internet governance affairs, et cetera.  And I would like to support [inaudible 00:12:19] from Oksana again.  Any further questions?  As I see no hands raised on here or on Connect, let me continue with our next agenda item what is Post Dakar ICANN Policy and ALAC updates.  We have the pleasure to have Olivier on board of this monthly call and I give the floor to Olivier to give us a short update on this issue.  Short means Olivier you have five to 10 minutes, you have the floor. .  Short means Olivier you have five to 10 minutes, you have the floor. 

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank you very much Wolf.  Now I have been sent any specific notes about what to say about what's happened in Dakar.  However, I will somehow look through the list of action items which have come out of the Dakar meeting.  As some of you who were there might know we had an extremely busy agenda.  I total of in excess of 17 meetings or even more than that if we added the capacity building sessions which AFRALO has very kindly put together for their delegates but really for everyone as well to follow. 

At-Large had a meeting with compliance as well and again, we managed to get compliance to look into more problems of noncompliant registrars and registries and thankfully we've seen that the compliance department has got more and more people and so they are being more and more active.  And hopefully we will see a lot more movement in that so that the major complaints of our users out there, which is that of dealing with a rogue registrar, losing their domain name and so on, so that these things hopefully be reduced with time.  Policy discussion on ALAC metrics, there is a discussion at the moment in a working group that will be started to look at the performance of At-Large Advisory Committee members because if you are a member of the ALAC you do have a minimum set of conditions that you need to follow as far as attendance is concerned, as far as voting is concerned. unmigrated-wiki-markup

There are only 15 people on the committee and if you don’t represent the views of your region then you really are letting your region down.    That's work that is coming up.    And of course with this there will be a discussion at regional level to do with the removal of or possible removal or possible sanctioning, I don’t know what the word is or cautioning of someone that the region has put on the ALAC.    Then there were discussions on the ICANN Academy, that’s another very important development that comes out of the At-Large Improvements Report.   And I know that this region the EURALO is positively involved with this because \   And I know that this region the EURALO is positively involved with this because [inaudible00:21:18\] Sandra Hoferichter are at the core of the presentation of or the proposal for an ICANN Academy.  

Further down, rules of procedures we are due, the ALAC and At-Large is due for a new review of the rules of procedure because ICANN keeps on evolving, the internet keeps on evolving and we also have to evolve.  So some of our rules of procedure might not be in line with what we do today.  So these will actually be worked on in the future.  The geographic regions review final draft report; I will speak about that a little bit later on when speaking about the current open comment periods.  The At-Large Regional Leadership meeting, I think I will let Wolf speak about that. 

Wolf Ludwig:                          Okay thanks Olivier.  I think some of the points you raised we will come back later during this call regarding the road show, the new gTLD launch, et cetera.  We will come back to this point under Agenda Item 8.     And I see Christopher Wilkinson has raised his hand, Christopher you have the floor.

Wiki MarkupChristopher Wilkinson:          Thank you Wolf.  Thank you Olivier, a really comprehensive the thoughts are very detailed and \          Thank you Wolf.  Thank you Olivier, a really comprehensive the thoughts are very detailed and [inaudible00:24:26\] work in Dakar.  \  [Inaudible00:24:29\] but my only thought is my recollection is that I started this on conflict of interest several months ago and if you want any help or presence in working groups or other contacts, Olivier I would be glad to put my order in as requested.  

Wolf Ludwig:                          Thanks a lot Christopher your offer will be noted that if there is any special opportunity where we need and can refer to your knowledge and input, Christopher be assured that we will come back to you.

Wolf Ludwig:                          Are there any other direct questions.

Wiki MarkupYuliya Morenets:                    Thank you Olivier for us \[inaudible Morenets:                    Thank you Olivier for us [inaudible 00:25:40\] a few things and well we were involved before but \ [inaudible 00:25:45\] now things.    And you just mentioned then there is this small representation of EURALO to the Security and Resilience comments.    We would be happy to contribute or to be involved closely to the subject because we work on cyber crimes, more on security and resilience.    Thank you.

Wolf Ludwig:                          Okay thanks Yuliya I think this will be noted as well.  This would be the first and great opportunity for a new member ALS to contribute actively into ICANN processes and ICANN consultations and ICANN policy development.  That is highly appreciated.  Are there any other further direct questions and comments to what Olivier explained from the Dakar agenda and the variety of events and meetings we had over there?  It was a very productive and very well organized.  Yes I see Sebastien raising his hand.  Sebastien you have the floor.unmigrated-wiki-markup

Sebastien Bachollet:                Thank you Wolf, it was just to - it seemed important to say that your colleague from AFRALO made a very good \Bachollet:                Thank you Wolf, it was just to - it seemed important to say that your colleague from AFRALO made a very good [inaudible00:27:25\] not just for the knowledge base they tried to build during this few hours in the morning, but also with the AFRALO showcase it was very well attended and well organized.    I would like to also mention that it's one of the first times that I really see that the region and not as a country not realize people to come to a meeting and to encourage ICANN to still go to those countries where it's difficult to go, it's difficult to find a place to organize a meeting.  

Some of us get some trouble with the hotel and the facilities and that’s good but in the same time we have to be careful and very thanks to the regions that there are providing a lot of new participants and that was very good turnover also, thank you.

I think we can get more people involved and start to discuss a concept on the basis of our proposal and to get some more input.  Any more questions or comments regarding this point, if this is not the case, I would like to ask Oksana for her observations and conclusions from Dakar, Oksana you have the floor.

Oksana

Prykhodko:                Thank you very much Wolf.  I was really great impressed by the level of organization and the energy and the input of the Dakar meeting or maybe my future activity, my [inaudible 00:34:54

]

during

this

meeting

where

[inaudible

00:34:57

]

the

reason

transparency,

accountability,

conflict

of

interest,

GAC

representation,

and

alternative

routes

and

it

was

extremely

useful

for

us

to

develop

all

these

approaches.

I

told

you

about

our

November

roundtable

in

parliament.

And I would like to say that we received great support from all multistakeholders involved in this internet governance and information society building up issues.  And I hope to receive more support from ICANN staff for beginning of the year for promo new detail programs, idea across the Ukraine is extremely interested in [inaudible

00:35:58

]

variance,

new

projects

and

so

on

and

I

would

highly

appreciate

all

support

from

ICANN

staff

and

ALAC

members,

thank

you.

Wolf Ludwig:                          Okay thanks a lot Oksana for your observations and conclusions.  Next on my list is Yrjo and Yrjo you have the floor please.unmigrated-wiki-markup

Yrjo Lansipuro:                       Thank you Wolf.  I was in Dakar as a member of NomCom EURALO mandated member and as per the travel policy of ICANN I could not be there for the \Lansipuro:                       Thank you Wolf.  I was in Dakar as a member of NomCom EURALO mandated member and as per the travel policy of ICANN I could not be there for the [inaudible00:36:45\] of the meeting escape at the last minute for the NomCom meeting as such.    But I could not fail to notice that what is referred as recent evidence, they have certainly had a big impact in the sense that there is a lot of emphasis on ethics and avoiding conflict of interest and so on and so forth.  And of course this is very pertinent to the work in nomination committee.   And of course this is very pertinent to the work in nomination committee. 

That was the case before but now it is even more so.  As far as the NomCom is concerned we are off to good start under the chairpersonship of Vanda.  And I may notice that as you all know, there are five At-Large members in the NomCom and I've been talking to some of them and I said perhaps we should keep a little bit closer together as At-Large members in NomCom of course within the operating procedures of NomCom but we should just compare notes from time to time, thank you.unmigrated-wiki-markup

Wolf Ludwig:                          Thanks a lot Yrjo for your additional information regarding the NomCom.  Are there any direct immediate questions to your remarks from the call?  I know that you do an excellent job on the NomCom and I can completely support what you said as it should be a close ALAC coordination in this group among the ALAC representatives at the NomCom.  And I think this will promote a good and \[inaudible 00:38:47\] strategy.  I see Olivier’s hand raised, Olivier you have the Ludwig:                          Thanks a lot Yrjo for your additional information regarding the NomCom.  Are there any direct immediate questions to your remarks from the call?  I know that you do an excellent job on the NomCom and I can completely support what you said as it should be a close ALAC coordination in this group among the ALAC representatives at the NomCom.  And I think this will promote a good and [inaudible 00:38:47] strategy.  I see Olivier’s hand raised, Olivier you have the floor.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank you very much Wolf and I'm sorry to come back also for a third time but there is one more announcement which I would I like to make which is that Avri Doria has taken over the chairing of the gTLD working group that we have.  It used to be run by Evan Leibovitch and has been passed on over to Avri.  So welcome Avri and I wonder Avri whether you just wanted to say a few words because obviously we need to get that working group to do a lot of work and to populate it with people from EURALO.

Sandra Hoferichter:                 Thank you Wolf.  I would like to be very brief.  I don’t want to go into detail about this event, I just want to raise one point which turned out and could be important for the future discussions within ICANN.  the point is that the city in Germany and at least I can for the moment I can only speak for German city new gTLD initiatives, recognized that the timeframe given by ICANN for the application phase is very tight for them because the city administration needs more time to go through their procedures in collecting a trustable person to apply for a dot com dot Hamburg or whatever.  

Wiki MarkupAnd they said it's going to be very difficult to sort all those issues out and to go to the administrative procedures by the end of March where you have to get your ticket, your application ticket where you have to pay the first $5,000 USD to be in the pool of applicants.    And then you have to conclude the application until the 12 of April.    This issue just came up after an informal meeting between city initiative together with what Beckstram, Karen, Lance and \ [inaudible 00:53:37\] from the federal ministry of economy in Germany who is also a GAC member for Germany.  

I Wiki MarkupI can't imagine after the event taking place in Switzerland this issue may be right again and this could be that - or this is at least it is my expectation that cities \ [inaudible 00:54:07\] will ask for extended applications deadline to apply in the manner they can also manage to follow up with their administration and their election rules and call for RFCs and all these things.    This could be an issue for the next ICANN meeting or for the upcoming new gTLD project, thank you Wolf.

Wolf Ludwig:                          Thank very much Sandra.  I think you raised a very important point.  As one of the impressions or outcomes of the Berlin event, the Berlin launch of briefing of new gTLD process.  as one of the co-organizers of the Swiss event and the end of two months in Bern I can add similar observations and a lot of feedbacks we have received so far is exactly wow we realized there was a strong media communication early end of summer after the ICANN meeting in Singapore.  It was a media issue all over the world.  But a media issues are normally very short cutted issues lasting for two to three days then some new headlines are overwhelming the old ones.  And in the time between there was not much follow up in detail in different countries. 

Wiki MarkupI haven’t seen much communication except in some very specialized circles.    After the Dakar meeting, but I think it's still a great initiative and best practice from ICANN to call on the constituencies in its different facets to support ICANN in launching this new generation of TLDs.    And we \ [inaudible 00:56:32\] or are picking up in Switzerland as well.    we will organize a briefing with Swiss GAC representatives what is Thomas Schneider and François Mohova together with Swiss ccTLD registry which is \ [inaudible00:56:54\] and they immediately asked simple society or the user representation EURALO and the business sector to co-organize this event in Bern.  

And Wiki MarkupAnd \ [inaudible 00:57:12\] afternoon forwarded you some more details we have that page still under construction and this is a very promising event.    But gives EURALO a first opportunity to co-organize on a real multistakeholder level, a national conference on an ICANN issue with as a stakeholder proves.    And we have invited people from the ICANN Board.    We have invited people from the business sector and from the domain industry to make sure our presentations, inputs, on incentive side of this program but also on some kind of risk and cost calculations et cetera of the Swiss business sector.    I think it is a promising model.  

We will most probably at our next call in December, can make a broader summary.  But as Sandra said already the timeline is very tight, not so much for the business sector because the business sectors over the last years since we've involved in all these discussions, in all the conflicts and divergences, the business sector is very well organized with a capacity and expert people to follow up.  But the public sector besides the government especially on the city level is not very well staffed as Sandra said before and this application period in early spring next year may prove to be very tight for the public sector. 

And the next big project of course as you may imagine is the next EuroDIG middle of May, EuroDIG is 14-15 June in Stockholm and the ICANN meeting to my memory will start around the 26th, 10 days after the end of the EuroDIG.  This will be the presumable key events for our region next year.  Are there any questions or further suggestions for the EURALO planning for next year?  As I said before we will keep this on the agenda for the next call. the next call. 

Sandra Hoferichter:                 I just would like to quickly announce that the next EuroDIG planning meeting is going to take place in January probably around the Wiki MarkupSandra Hoferichter:                 I just would like to quickly announce that the next EuroDIG planning meeting is going to take place in January probably around the \ [inaudible01:05:05\] of January.    And everybody because I know many people on this call are heavily involved in EuroDIG so this might be an opportunity to meet again in Stockholm.    Maybe all who are interested can keep this in their mind and it will be announced soon but it's going to be mid January probably 17{^}th^, 18{^}th^ something. 17th, 18th something. 

Wolf Ludwig:                          Yes it's still an ongoing Wiki MarkupWolf Ludwig:                          Yes it's still an ongoing \ [inaudible01:05:32\] at the moment.    It hasn’t been accomplished because there are still some key people missing to announce a preference of dates.    But as Sandra said most probably it will be between the 17{^}th^ th and 18{^}th^ th of January.    There are people on the call like Yrjo who participated in the \ [inaudible01:05:56\] and let me suggest we want the date will be decided and the date will be communicated via the EuroDIG newsletter.    We can make a parallel posting on the EURALO list to announce the dates for the Stockholm and to announce this as well and to invite as many people who are interested to participate.    Thanks so much Sandra for this hint.    Are there any further questions, if this I not the case, we are 12 minutes over time.  

The last point on today's agenda is Item 10 AOB.  This is the last opportunity for today otherwise you can immediately post whatever you want at the EURALO list as usual.  I see no hands raised, no comments, no further information.  This brings us to the end of today's call.  It was a very interesting and exciting call I think with a lot of participation and three apologies for today.