Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.
Comment: Migrated to Confluence 4.0

Wolf Ludwig:                          Thanks Olivier.  I am very supportive about this and as we discussed two days ago in Strasbourg, I am willing to support you in this suggestion and as we know, we have on a lot of – Okay, I’m getting a call from Heidi.  So as Olivier has mentioned already there are a lot of very knowledgeable and experienced people among our members – just to mention two Patrik and Lutz on security DNSSEC issues, etc.  And whenever Olivier, we can support ALAC, please let us know and we will do our best to support you.  Any further questions regarding point three on this part of the agenda?  If not, I’m moving forward to point four. 

Wiki MarkupAs you may have seen on the EURALO list, we have received two new ALS applications from our European Media Platform from Oksana and the second one is from the Ukrainian Internet Association.    Both of them are undergoing our regular due diligence procedure.    I was informed by staff last week that there are only a few final questions to be sorted out.    The due diligence is done by \ [Danny\] and as soon as these questions are clarified some forms will be sent to us for our regional advice and I promised staff that we will respond as soon as possible.    I will announce a very short deadline for this because our interest would be to get them approved as soon as possible.    And the very best option would be a question to Olivier -- I know that there is an Olivier – I know that there is an At-Large call next Tuesday…\\

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:          That’s right – an At-Large Advisor Committee call next Tuesday.  As far as I know, and I might be wrong, so Heidi if you hear me saying something stupid please jump in – the agenda isn’t 100% ready yet, either that or I haven’t actually read through it yet, but it will be done in the next 24 hours or…

Oksana Prykhodko:                Thank you very much.  But I would like to know if you have any particular issues for example, with European Media Platform, because I just need the motivation for being here.  And I received a lot of questions about my website.  My website is now under construction.  And I would like to specify what are the issues?
unmigrated-wiki-markup

Wolf Ludwig:                          Oksana, since you must sort out with \[Danny\] because he is doing the due diligence procedure.  I was not involved and Olivier, to my knowledge, was not involved so far.  We will step in when we are asked for the regional advice.  So this is a practical question you have to discuss with \[Danny\] and after that the region will be asked with the regional advice and I see  no reason at the moment why there should be any question or any objection.\\

Wiki Markup
Oksana Prykhodko:                So, I can ask \[Danny\] if he has any objections and questions.\\

Wiki Markup
Wolf Ludwig:                          Right.  Please address yourself to \[Danny\].\\

Oksana Prykhodko:                Okay, thank you very much.

Wolf Ludwig:                          You’re welcome.  Any more questions?  This is not the case – let me continue with the proposed agenda items – update on current policy issue.  We had already some info from Olivier.  Is there anything you want to add under five Oliver?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:          Not for the time being, thank you Wolf.  There is nothing else.  I think we’ll be discussing many of these in the ALAC call.  Thank you.

Wolf Ludwig:                          Okay, thanks a lot.  And next point is recent regional EURALO meetings.  these were not really meetings organized by us, but meetings organized by other institutions or stakeholders in the region and the last one was a conference on internet freedoms at the Council of Europe last Monday and Tuesday in Strasbourg where Oliver and I and another EURALO member, Bill Drake, participated.  It was a very interesting, well attended meeting.  It was the reason why we had to postpone our monthly call from last Tuesday to today, what created a bit of hassle for the staff.  At this opportunity, I would like to thank Gisella for falling a Doodle and for organizing today’s call.

The Council of Europe – the basic question was a regulatory one – do we actually, besides the principle, several principles we have regarding internet freedom or internet regulation – do we need something like an official treaty between on the state level or between states.  And there was a variety of viewpoints on it.  I cannot recall a lot of participants arguing in favor of a new international treaty. 

A lot of speakers said so far the internet, since its start, worked out without.  There was something comparable, like the cyber crime convention, which was prepared and done by the Council of Europe.  But in general people are rather hesitant to argue in favor of any new treaty for the time being.  This is in a few words a very brief summary on the discussion we had at the beginning of this week in Strasbourg. 

Ludwig:                          Oksana, since you must sort out with [Danny] because he is doing the due diligence procedure.  I was not involved and Olivier, to my knowledge, was not involved so far.  We will step in when we are asked for the regional advice.  So this is a practical question you have to discuss with [Danny] and after that the region will be asked with the regional advice and I see  no reason at the moment why there should be any question or any objection.

Oksana Prykhodko:                So, I can ask [Danny] if he has any objections and questions.

Wolf Ludwig:                          Right.  Please address yourself to [Danny].

Oksana Prykhodko:                Okay, thank you very much.

Wolf Ludwig:                          You’re welcome.  Any more questions?  This is not the case – let me continue with the proposed agenda items – update on current policy issue.  We had already some info from Olivier.  Is there anything you want to add under five Oliver?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:          Not for the time being, thank you Wolf.  There is nothing else.  I think we’ll be discussing many of these in the ALAC call.  Thank you.

Wolf Ludwig:                          Okay, thanks a lot.  And next point is recent regional EURALO meetings.  these were not really meetings organized by us, but meetings organized by other institutions or stakeholders in the region and the last one was a conference on internet freedoms at the Council of Europe last Monday and Tuesday in Strasbourg where Oliver and I and another EURALO member, Bill Drake, participated.  It was a very interesting, well attended meeting.  It was the reason why we had to postpone our monthly call from last Tuesday to today, what created a bit of hassle for the staff.  At this opportunity, I would like to thank Gisella for falling a Doodle and for organizing today’s call.

The Council of Europe – the basic question was a regulatory one – do we actually, besides the principle, several principles we have regarding internet freedom or internet regulation – do we need something like an official treaty between on the state level or between states.  And there was a variety of viewpoints on it.  I cannot recall a lot of participants arguing in favor of a new international treaty. 

A lot of speakers said so far the internet, since its start, worked out without.  There was something comparable, like the cyber crime convention, which was prepared and done by the Council of Europe.  But in general people are rather hesitant to argue in favor of any new treaty for the time being.  This is in a few words a very brief summary on the discussion we had at the beginning of this week in Strasbourg. 

Next event, what is on our agenda is 11 – ICANN Studienkreis meeting, what will convene in Budapest for Thursday, Friday next week.  And I was invited to represent EURALO at the Studienkreis meeting. As most of you know this was an initiative from Wolf [Kleinvect] 11 years ago co-organized by our elect member Sandra. And this is a good opportunity for making new contacts and networking and outreach.  And I hope that I will meet some new people I don’t know so far from Easter European countries because it’s in the region.  And you can be sure that I will use ICANN Studienkreis meeting for first outreach on behalf of Wiki Markup                                                Next event, what is on our agenda is 11 -- ICANN Studienkreis meeting, what will convene in Budapest for Thursday, Friday next week.  And I was invited to represent EURALO at the Studienkreis meeting. As most of you know this was an initiative from Wolf \[Kleinvect\] 11 years ago co-organized by our elect member Sandra. And this is a good opportunity for making new contacts and networking and outreach.  And I hope that I will meet some new people I don’t know so far from Easter European countries because it’s in the region.  And you can be sure that I will use ICANN Studienkreis meeting for first outreach on behalf of EURALO.

These are the two major events we had in our regions in our last call.  And we will also use Studienkreis meeting as the last before the EuroDIG in end of May in Belgrade which is in line with our next General Assembly. 

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:          I know Christopher, but it’s unfortunate.  I wish they looked at other major, major conferences.  I mean just a few days earlier would have been a lot better and I don’t know whether there is any means or any way to bring feedback over to the organizers for next year, but…

Wiki MarkupChristopher Wilkinson:          Andrew \[Patel\] is the head of the division responsible and next time I see him I’ll just note it.  But there are several staff members in DG Information Society who know all about the ICANN schedule and some of them will go to Singapore, so I cannot imagine that this was in total ignorance.  But that could be…\\          Andrew [Patel] is the head of the division responsible and next time I see him I’ll just note it.  But there are several staff members in DG Information Society who know all about the ICANN schedule and some of them will go to Singapore, so I cannot imagine that this was in total ignorance.  But that could be…

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:          Certainly one of the problems that the ICANN official schedule is often known to start on the Monday, while these days more and more actually happens over the weekend.  Obviously we meet on the Sunday – the GNSO meets on the Saturday – there are more meetings now starting to take place on the Saturday and so maybe that’s something they will have to take into account.  Maybe that’s something that ICANN has to take into account to think that while the official opening is on Monday, there is a lot taking place beforehand that they might wish to cover.

Thanks a lot everybody and as I told you at the beginning of the week, I will post more information regarding our General Assembly on our list. And of course, please comment or whatever you think will be useful.  Thanks a lot to everybody, to all the participants.  Thanks a lot to Gisella.  I have seen that Heidi has left already.  I forgot to wish her a Happy Easter holiday but I will do this in a mail afterwards.  Thanks everybody and I wish you a nice holiday.
unmigrated-wiki-markup

\[End of Transcript\]