Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Overview

The APAC Regional Plan FY21-25 is an implementation plan of proposed regional activities with outcomes aligned to the objectives and goals of ICANN’s five-year Strategic Plan (which will take effect on 1 July 2020). This webinar discussed the first half of the draft Regional Plan to gather input and feedback from the APAC community. The session covered two Strategic Objectives which the Regional Plan aims to contribute to:

Other than at APAC Space, anyone with comments on the Regional Plan can submit them directly on the Plan’s Community Wiki page. As a guide, feedback examples are found in a blog post by Jia-Rong Low (ICANN). The next session to discuss the second half of the Regional Plan will be in May.

The first proposed focus area under this goal was to partner the APAC community in technical projects. Jia-Rong highlighted examples of key projects led by ICANN’s Office of the CTO (OCTO):

i) Identifier Technology Health Indicators (ITHI), which uses various metrics to monitor the health of identifier technologies based on Internet traffic;
ii) DNS Abuse Activity Reporting (DAAR), which examines DNS abuse patterns through aggregated data from entities such as gTLD and ccTLD registries; and
iii) DNS Security Facilitation Initiative.

i) Communicate through established channels and participate in key platforms such as regional/local fora to raise awareness on the evolving root server system and how the DNS works.
ii) Grow a network with relevant stakeholders in the region, such as partnering members of the Root Server System Governance Working Group (RSS GWG) to contribute to the governance and technical evolution of DNS root server operations and services.

i) Communicate through established channels and participate in key platforms to enhance knowledge about DNS operations and security, raising awareness of security threats, and to promote higher adoption of global open Internet standards.
ii) Through capacity development, encourage and promote the deployment of DNS Security Extensions (DNSSEC).
iii) Install ICANN Managed Root Server (IMRS) instances.

Jia-Rong shared that the above were already key aspects of the APAC Regional Office’s work and proposed for them to continue. Elaborating on (ii), Jia-Rong shared that the envisioned outcome was to measure the deployment of DNSSEC (i.e. how many ccTLDs signed DNSSEC, or how many ISPs/network operators deployed DNSSEC validation), rather than capacity development activities.

i) Support the APAC community during ICANN readouts and APAC Space.
ii) Develop a regional mentorship program.
iii) Support regional and local Internet Governance (IG) fora.
iv) Develop youth leaders through the Asia Pacific Internet Governance Academy (APIGA).

On (i), Jia-Rong shared that there was now a sizeable APAC community group attending ICANN Readouts and APAC Space. These existing platforms would thus continue to be an area to help facilitate the community’s particpation in ICANN. Jia-Rong highlighted how the definition of participation was a large range – from being informed to contributing to PDP work – and that it was important for us to agree on the various definitions.

On participation challenges, she cited ALAC’s Policy Forum having more participants from Europe and North America as an example in terms of language and time zone, which the APAC region needed to overcome. She also said the GNSO Council had experimented with the team composition of the EPDP (Expedited Policy Development Process), although the formula was not yet ideal. Instead of a PDP usually formed by anyone volunteering, admission to the EPDP team was by nomination from one’s stakeholder group or constituency. Two team members were considered as being from APAC, but were geographically within European time zones rather than further East.

AOB

Two ICANN webinars of interest to the community took place around the same time: i) on understanding the fundamentals of DNS over HTTPS (DoH) and DNS over TLS (DoT); and ii) on information and discussion of ICANN’s latest proposed revisions to its operations and financial plans.