

ALAC 2012.05.22 Summary minutes EN

- **Participants:** Olivier Crépin-Leblond (OCL) - EN, Jean-Jacques Subrenat (JJS) - EN, Ron Sherwood (SH) - EN, Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) - EN, Evan Leibovitch (EL) - EN, Rinalia Abdul Rahim (RAR) - EN, Alan Greenberg (AG) - EN, Edouardo Diaz (ED) - EN, Ganesh Kumar (GK) - EN, Salanieta Tamanikawaiwaimaro (ST) - EN, Wolf Ludwig (WLF) - EN, Carlton Samuels (CS) - EN, Maurenn Hilyard (MH) - EN, Sergio Salinas Porto (SSP) - ES, Fatima Cambronero (FC) - ES, Natalia Enciso (NE) - EN
- **Apologies:** Tijani Ben Jemaa, Oksana Prykhodka, Yrjö Lansipuro, Julie Hammer, Jose Arce
- **Staff:** Heidi Ullrich (HU), Matt Ashtiani (MA), Gisella Gruber (GG), Silvia Vivanco (SV)
- **Interpreters:** ES: Veronica and Sabrina / FR: Claire and Camila

1. Adoption of the agenda - OCL reviewed the agenda.
2. Roll call and apologies - Staff gave the roll call.
3. Review of the Action Items from the 17 April ALAC Meeting

OPEN ACTION ITEMS

RoP WG Members to create a glossary of commonly used nomenclature. - CLOSED (CLO- Acronym buster is now a standing element of the webpages. We should make greater use of that.)

At-Large Staff to move forward with the SOI and COI page. - IN PROGRESS (ALAC Template under development)

Gisella to prepare a document showing ALAC members' current membership in WGs. - IN PROGRESS

After each ALAC meeting, Silvia to send APRALO leadership a list of the PCs the ALAC will and will not be responding to. - IN PROGRESS

RECENTLY CLOSED

After the new year, Staff to work with Cheryl Langdon-Orr in preparation of the RoP WG and Metrics WG. There is to be a call for membership.

Silvia Vivanco and Gisella Gruber to ensure that the transcript of this call (24 January ALAC meeting) is to be saved for the RoP WG so they can review it once they begin their work.

Review of ALSes:

MA reviewed the current ALS status

OCL welcomed the two new ALSes

FC - The application from the ASOCIACIÓN DE ESCRIBANOS DEL URUGUAY\ - She will wait for the bottom up advice from LACRALO.

5. Reports

WL: EURALO report is a bit late. The report will include more information on the new EURALO members and the new Armenian member, the Media Education Center. There will be a discussion of cross-ALS issues in the Secretariat meeting in Prague.

OCL: Thanks. However, please note that an ALS may only register in one RALO.

CLO - ccNSO liaison - ccNSO recently received a membership application from .kn. (Assumed it will go through and they will become a member of the ccNSO. That will make 132 members of the ccNSO. That is something we need to watch as there will be ability for cross-community work.

AG: Gave gNSO liaison report. There is much going on, including a concern regarding the JAS effort, the TLD Application process, etc. The GNSO must address the issues that have been presented from the first round of application. There has been significant discussion on the cancellation of Friday meetings.

OCL: Alan, I heard there was a cross-community WGs. Do you have more information on that?

AG: There are new WGs being formed.

CLO: The last joint WG that I am aware of is the JIG WG (GNSO and ccNSO Activity).

AG: There are many things that will soon begin. The Red Cross/IOC WG is now open and if someone has an interest, he/she may join.

6. Policy Advice Development Calendar

OCL: Thank you to all for our record work in April. Last month was quite fantastic.

OCL: ICANN Draft FY13 Operating Plan and Budget - Being drafted by TBJ. We may take a few more days past the close date to comment and vote on this Statement. Tijani has done a great job on this Statement.

OCL: Alan can you update us on: Proposed Revised Process for Handling Requests for Removal of Cross-Ownership Restrictions on Operators of Existing gTLDs

AG: I need to read the documents before I can fully comment on this PC. There is the issue of market power, which .com has.

OCL: Carlton, can you please update us on the WHOIS Policy Review Team Final Report

CS: There was much activity on the WHOIS list after I posted notice of the final WHOIS Team Report. I recommend to the ALAC that they vote to endorse the full report. The report itself is an improvement on the draft. It literally outlines not just recommendations, but implementation steps. The final report endorses some of the ALAC positions and, on that end, it was a home run. Subsequent to that, there was an interesting idea. The idea of giving standing to third parties, in terms of WHOIS infractions. This way, only parties to the contract have standing to bring a dispute. This contract would give standing to third parties, should ICANN be too lax in enforcing its own rules. Other than this change, most of the report and opinions remain the same. However, it should be noted that I am against the idea of the everyday user NOT being able to access WHOIS data. I can write a brief ALAC Statement by tomorrow and place it on the wiki.

AG: I support Carlton's statements. I think it is important to note that a lot of what the report says was initially said by the At-Large and others. Regarding Thick vs. Thin WHOIS, it is interesting that the timing of personal information and releasing it to a privileged few, it should be noted that it would be impossible to localize these rules.

OCL: I open the floor to any comments on DRAFT Statement of ICANN's Role and Remit in Security, Stability and Resiliency of the Internet's Unique Identifier Systems

CLO: I know it is a Statement on a Statement, but I think it is one that the ALAC should be making. The type of document we are looking at here is one which is structural and foundational.

OCL: Perhaps we should ask those who participated in the last SSR Statement

OCL: Due to time commitments, I suggest we do both in parallel. We can send out comments to Julie, our Liaison to the SSAC, on this issue.

AI: Staff to contact Julie Hammer regarding "Draft Statement of ICANN's Role and Remit in Security, Stability and Resiliency of the Internet's Unique Identifier Systems" Statement and this Statement is to be put on the ALAC/ExCom Agenda.

OCL: Cheryl, can you please give us your opinion on the DRAFT - ICANN Language Services Policy and Procedures

CLO: I think we should develop a Statement which notes our previous work on this issues, as well as a need for this new policy to be tested - via At-Large. I believe we need to say something and say something in the affirmative.

OCL: I see agreement from JJS and CS on your statement. I would also like to see members from LACRALO and AFRALO on this Statement. Perhaps we can discuss this over coffee in Prague. In fact, perhaps it would be best to have our fellow At-Large members from these regions hold the pen on this Statement.

JJS: Finally, ICANN has accepted to have a linguistic policy with the proper vocabulary. Secondly, I agree with CLO's suggestion that we should react to this a commend what has been done, including the way forward. Thirdly, we should do some drum beating and bring this to the attention of the wider community, via our networks. I think it is an important point for outreach of the general user. Moreover, doing so can be noted in our draft Statement.

SSP: I would like to volunteer to draft this Statement. Are there any other LACRALO or AFRALO members that would work on this draft with me?

CLO: I recommend that the committee review this Statement.

OLC: It is worth noting that many of the terms were discussed in Costa Rica.

AG: I'll make a caveat, I'm not a fan of vision statements. However, I do like this one. I was not in favor of catalyst. However, initiate is not a replacement. I think it will need to be replaced with more words which will lengthen the statement. It does reflect the work of At-Large.

CLO: ALAC already has a mission statement. The WG recommended that beyond our mission (the home of the individual within ICANN). This comes out of our At-Large Implementation project.

The Vision Statement As Proposed: The ALAC, building upon the experience and views of the At-Large community, catalyzes [initiates] and facilitates inclusive, meaningful participation of general Internet users world-wide, aggregates their input and brings their voice to bear in all ICANN matters.

Salanieta Tamanikawaiwaimaro: Motion that this becomes the ALAC's Vision Statement

Seconded: Jean-Jacques Subrenat and Sergio Salinas Porto

Y: Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Jean-Jacques Subrenat, Natalia Enciso, Sergio Salinas Porto, Salanieta Tamanikawaiwaimaro, Evan Leibovitch

N: ---

A: Rinalia Abdul Rahim, Carlton Samuels

No vote: Ganesh Kumar, Eduardo Diaz, Edmon Chung, Yaovi Atohou, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Titi Akinsanmi, Sandra Hoferichter

Result: There were not enough votes. An online vote is to be held, closing on Friday evening

AI: Staff to begin a vote on the Vision Statement within the next 24 hours

Improvements Update

CLO: There has been a number of updates to the report that the At-Large endorsed to send to the SIC. The particularly main change will be on page 3, where you will all see a new table. Those lines show the status of each recommendation. All of these have been completed, except for those which require on going monitoring and/or work. However, if we do not endorse a vision Statement, we will not longer be on schedule.

CLO: Regarding Recommendation 8: When you look at the table, there will be one Recommendation with no color and with a hyperlink. As required, the ALAC was to have a 45 day comment period, which was to be implemented by the PC Committee. We need to recognize that, including the reply period, there was to be a 21 day minimum for the reaching of comments, and a 21 day reply period. Each SO/AC that I have been associated with has had problems with this new system. The hyperlink in the page links to a wikipedia which contains all of the correspondence regarding this issue. We are essentially telling ICANN that we are unable to complete this Recommendation due to ICANN itself, not us.

OCL: There will be a call between myself and Filiz and Sebastian Bachollet to discuss this issue.

OCL: I suggest that we have a BigPulse vote on this Report.

JJS: When do you think, ideally, that we should achieve this work?

OCL: The Improvements should be finished as soon as possible, the report should be given to the SIC in Prague.

JJS: To make the most of the work that has been done, I suggest (based on my experience as a member of the Board and the WG), that we are now at the end of a historic stage of ALAC. We should just not send it over in a routine way. Perhaps a letter from the Chair of the ALAC to the Chair of the Board should be sent. Perhaps this letter should include a note on the major work that we have completed.

AI: A letter from the Chair of the ALAC to the Chair of the Board is to be sent with the Improvements Report.

OCL: I absolutely agree. This is an opportunity for us to drive this point across.

9. Membership of At-Large New gTLD Review Group - Olivier (15 min)

HU: Yes, all RALOs have now recommended two members each.

AFRALO: Aziz Hilai, Fatimata Seye Sylla

APRALO: Fouad Bajwa, Kenny Huang

EURALO: Adela Danciu, Rudi Vansnick

LACRALO: Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Marcelo Telez

NARALO: Garth Bruen, Eduardo Diaz

OCL: We now need to verify these members

ST: Do any of them have commercial interests?

OCL: An important part of this RG is that these members be absolutely un-conflicted. All members have submitted SOIs. Have the RALOs confirmed that these members are un-conflicted.

HU: We have not yet heard from all of the regions, but are waiting to hear from them

CLO: For the record, it is clear that any RALO advice on the Statements of Interests, and any ALAC support on this issue, must be made on more than the best of our knowledge. Perhaps we should note in the endorsement that these individuals have gone through an open system, where anyone aware of a conflict has had the opportunity to raise it. But not that we have, nor should we, go through a full vetting process.

OCL: Yes, we are taking their word for it and relying on the community to note any concerns. To be clear, whilst all precautions were taken, professional due diligence was not used and therefore the members are un-conflicted to the ALAC's knowledge.

EL: Are we simply voting on these 10 people? Will the other 5 individuals be voted on later?

OCL: Yes

ST: We should vet these individuals.

CLO: I disagree, there is not enough time and money to fully vet these individuals.

AD: As long as each of you have read the SOIs, I think the process has moved forward in a good direction.

Motion: That those recommended by the RALOs become members of the new gTLD RG.

AFRALO: Aziz Hilai, Fatimata Seye Sylla

APRALO: Fouad Bajwa, Kenny Huang

EURALO: Adela Danciu, Rudi Vansnick

LACRALO: Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Marcelo Telez

NARALO: Garth Bruen, Eduardo Diaz

Motion by: Jean-Jacques Subrenat

Seconded: Rinalia Abdul Rahim

Y: Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Carlton Samuels, Evan Leibovitch, Jean-Jacques Subrenat, Natalia Enciso, Rinalia Abdul Rahim, Salanieta Tamanikawaiwaimaro, Sergio Salinas Porto

N: ---

A: ---

OCL: Next Steps: <https://community.icann.org/x/Zr3bAQ>

14 May 2012 - all RALO candidates need to have their SOI/COI published

16 May 2012 - RALOs who need to conduct a Bigpulse vote can do so, closing 21 May 2012

18 May 2012 - volunteers to be chosen by the ALAC need to have their SOI/COI published

22 May 2012 - ALAC monthly call ratifies the candidates recommended by the RALOs

23 May 2012 - ALAC conducts a Bigpulse vote to choose the third candidates

29 May 2012 - vote results published

JJS: We have asked if the FCWG is to be an ALAC or At-Large WG, this should be an indication of its open nature. Also, I would like to note that there is a consolidated draft of the FCWG White Paper. This draft takes into account those who have wished to contribute. I thank them all for their work.

JJS: We could have gone through a process of submitting this paper to the FCWG, but I believe that as all members of that group are members of the ALAC, Evan and I thought we would submit this report to you as a proposal for a comment period and an ALAC ratification as a Statement. We are aiming to have this presented as an ALAC position in Prague.

EL: To ensure engagement, I suggest that we take a snapshot of the revision, as listed as v.0.1.0 on the page. We should translate this version into the other 5 UN languages and then we call for comments.

OCL: I cannot guarantee this as there may be associate costs, which I cannot approve.

JJS: Have you elicited comments on this work?

OCL: I would like to gain an idea of what your timings are before proceeding.

OCL: Would one week be enough for the regions to discuss this proposal.

OCL: Is there anyone against producing a final document by 14-June-2012.

Al: Staff to send announcement of Policy webinar to ALAC Announce and RALO lists

should be finished as soon as possible⁴. Updating ALAC Top 10 Policy Issues - Next Steps - Olivier (5 min)

OCL: We need to update the top 10 Issues, which would require starting a new survey.

This is to be completed after the Prague Meeting

15. Updating of At-Large Website - Next Steps - Olivier (5 min)

We currently have 11 volunteers, but we need people from AFRALO

16. Any Other Business – Olivier (5 min)

a. CMR Issue (Alan Greenberg)

AG: Although the JAS WG's mandate has been extended, per the GNSO, any recommendation should have gone to the GNSO and ALAC before implementing it.

Al: ExCom members to look at the CMR Issue - <https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/30345002/Draft+CMR+20120412.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1337630816184> by the next ExCom Meeting.

Al: ALAC to develop timetable the schedule in Prague. The Regional Secretariat Meeting and ALAC to contribute.

CLO: Suggest that this be discussed in the Excom meeting Prague.

AG: It should be noted that, if the GNSO formally objects (which will likely happen), and the ALAC has not supported it, I do not see how Staff can proceed in supporting it.

The meeting was then closed