
ANDREA GLANDON: Thank you. We will now officially start the recording of this conference call. Good morning, good afternoon and good evening, and welcome to the NARALO monthly teleconference on Monday, the 10th of December 2018 at 20:00 UTC. On today's call, we have Eduardo Diaz, Alfredo Calderon, George Kirikos, Glenn McKnight, Gordon Chillcott, Javier Rujovet, John Laprise, Leah Symekher, Michael Casadevall, Susannah Gray, and Wes Boudville. We have apologies noted from Dana Perry, Jonathan Zuck and Joe Catapano from staff. From staff on the call today we have Heidi Ullrich and myself, Andrea Glandon, on call management.

I would like to remind everyone to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes and to please mute your phones and microphones when not speaking to avoid any background noise. Thank you. And over to you, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Andrea.

LEON SANCHEZ: Hello, this is Leon Sanchez. Just to note that I'm only on the phone.

ANDREA GLANDON: Thank you, Leon. I will make a note of that.

LEON SANCHEZ: Thank you.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Welcome, Leon.

LEON SANCHEZ: Thank you. Thank you so much.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you everyone and happy holidays to everyone, too. Today, this is going to be our last call in 2018. We have a full agenda, so we're going to start. I want to check, first of all, if everybody's in accordance with the agenda or wants to make changes, or wants to add something to it? I understand, Leah, you want to add to this? So, Judith, yes please; go ahead. Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: This is Judith Hellerstein for the record. I would like to add that tomorrow we are submitting a comment for the auction proceeds. And so today is really -- if you have any last minute changes or edits to the comments on the wiki, please let us know because they're going to be submitted and then voted after that. So really, the time is now. Thanks.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Judith, for the information. If you can put the link down so people can go there and see where they have to put the information and comments down. So, please. Leah?

LEAH SYMEKHER: Yes. And I'll be giving a quick update from ICANN NomCom. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. And what I'm going to do, Leah, at the part when Glenn talks about outreach and when he gives his group report, then let's talk about your NomCom presentation because it's about the outreach for the NomCom. Right?

LEAH SYMEKHER: Yes it is. Thank you, that would be great.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, so let's do it there so we [inaudible]. So, I want to give you an update on the ATLAS 3. There was a call for volunteers up to December 5th of this month. And there were about, I don't know, in total, there were about 43 plus people that put their name in. And just to let you know, the leadership of ATLAS 3, the organizational leadership is going to divide this group because they're people that are in both groups. There's a delegates group and a programming group. There will be objectives put in and people will be assigned one way or another to both of them. And so that's where we are, and that will happen before the end of this year.

In the agenda today, I wanted to have Alan Greenberg giving us a small update on the EPDP, but I believe he's in Los Angeles on a face-to-face meeting, so he will tell us about that later on. Glenn will talk about discretionary funds. We are in the part of the year that we start talking about budgets. And yes, Heidi, we have 326 days until ATLAS 3, so it

sounds like a long time but it's less than a year. And also between myself and Glenn, we'll talk about the FY20 additional budget request, and Heidi is also here to enlighten us in that respect.

And I just wanted to say that thanks to some of the ALSs in NARALO, we had four ICANN63 readouts in the region since last month; ISOC here in Puerto Rico, New York and San Francisco, and Telecommunities in Canada, so I want to thank everyone, including myself, for doing this. The one that we did here in Puerto Rico was in Spanish, and I was really impressed that Chris Mondini did it, and I wasn't aware that he spoke so well in Spanish. So, it was very well taken.

So, thank you everyone. And let's continue with the agenda. Next items are William Cunningham -- I don't see him here -- to provide an update for the ARIN 41 trip. He's not here, so we'll just going to skip that one. And then let's talk about the discretionary funds. Glenn, are you ready?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Sure. Hi, everybody. It's Glenn for the transcript records. As you all know, each of the RALOs have some discretionary funds to spend. So again, there is still quite a bit of funds still left in that kitty. Again, there is restrictions on what can be used. It's not encouraged for travel and hotel, but if you have an event that you're doing with your ALS and you need some funds for, you know, some drinks or some promotional material, this is the ideal thing that's used for the discretionary refunds. So if you do have any requests, please let us know.

But there is a special form that you can fill out and then it's a fairly quick turnaround time for staff to approve it, and then it's not money up front. So you have to spend the money, and then you get compensated back. So if you have any events of that you may need a bit of funds, the idea is so there's no real out of pocket from your ALS. So we did the event in Ottawa, and it was a face to face, so we did run into some costs. But some of the other readouts did not incur costs; it was all webinars. It was on online. So, please take advantage of it. And again, ICANN expends the original money. It's roughly \$4,000 per RALO. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Glenn. I just want to add that the discretionary budget is not for traveling. It's mostly to support events like Glenn said, you know, like catering or promotional materials; things like that. So Heidi says that at this point, we have about \$2,400 to go for the rest of the year. So, if anybody needs that money, if somebody can put the link. This year travel is included. Okay. This year is like 2018. No?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, sorry. Let me just clarify: it's included but it's actually not the primary reason for it. So I just want to make sure that that's clear.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay. Thank you for the clarification, Glenn and Heidi. So, Julie, your hand is up. Is that an old hand? Okay, Heidi? Please.

HEIDI ULLRIH: Yes, hi. This is Heidi. I just wanted to clarify that this fiscal year -- actually, fiscal year '19, not fiscal year '18 -- the discretionary funding for the RALO owes does include travel. So it's for regional travel and the thought is that for next year, fiscal year '20, that there'll be an additional budget request to allow for one cross-regional travel. So, for example, one person going to the IGF would be possible if that ABR was approved. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Thank you. Thank you so much, Heidi, for the clarification; I was under the impression it was only the years before. But in any case, that's good to know. So, moving forward. Glenn, you and I have the next item, the F2 -- the fiscal year '20 additional budget request. So, do you want to take over and then just add it here?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. We have a few items that I've been working on. The one is we have the -- again, it's based on what happened with NCUC. They did a policy comment workshop. It was first two webinars and then a face to face. So I'm working on a proposal to do face to face and webinar policy comments; how to do policy comments, similar to what the NCUC did. We had number of people across the At-Large who've expressed interest in helping working on that curriculum; Judith being one of them. And that is one of the proposals. I think it has a lot of merit. It seems to be having some legs within the At-Large community. So that's one of the ones I'd like to propose to first mission.

Another one is something we've done in the past -- and quite successfully -- is the North American indigenous fellowship program. As you know, funding was not available last year, and so Lawrence has been working on that proposal, and I think it's well on target for submission. And the last one that I've been working on is, again, we got funding for the first NASDAQ. So, now the NASDAQ will be done two days prior to the Atlas 3 at our ICANN Montréal meeting in Montréal. So, it will be the last two days of October. Then the Saturday, we'll have the social event, which is done as the kick-off of the Atlas 3. So, we have two days prior to the Atlas 3. So those are the three proposals currently on the table.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

So, if any of you are interested in bringing up proposals, please talk to me or Glenn and we'll be happy to, you know, to go over the process with you. Andrea, can you have the agenda to be -- thank you so much. You can see that I put here the different process and deadlines. And so we are -- like, January 4, all the proposals have to be in to go through the process. So that's very close. Heidi, yes?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes, thank you, Eduardo. Yes, I'd like to stress first off that Marisa sends her apologies, but also on this points, I would like to stress very much that the new criteria for this year, and that includes that the requests are to be approved by the RALO prior to being sent to the ALAC subcommittee head of finance and budget. So that's a really important step. And we are now on the 10th of December, and all of the

proposals need to be into the finance and budget subcommittee by the 4th of January. So you're going to be going into the holiday season very shortly; two weeks that staff will not be there. So just, Bill, you might wish to move forward very quickly on this and endorse them for your RALO and then submit them to the FBSC. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. That means that we have to do the RALO approval sometime during the holidays, right before the 4th.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi again. You might wish to basically have them all completed and then discuss them on email and hopefully have their ratification either prior to people going away for the holidays or that first week in January. But again, many people may still be away that week, so the earlier, the better is what I'm trying to say.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Thank you. So, you heard that we're very close to the deadlines here, and then we're in the middle of the holiday season. But, you know, that's what emails and offline things are used for. So people can

to do it on their own time, but I'm sure we can do it. So, thank you for the heads up, Heidi. It's very important.

So, you know, I jumped a couple of things here and nobody told me that that I did. But, I will see Joy Doyle here. I didn't write to him to remind him to be here, because some of you will remember that Joy knows a few weeks ago and I wanted him to, you know, to introduce himself to the group. But I will try to get him next time. So yes, I also -- Glenn, you didn't say anything, but I jumped over your outreach group update report. So let's do that now. And when you finish, Leah, we're going to hear what she has to say about the NomCom outreach. Thank you. Glenn, again?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry, Eduardo. It's Glenn for the record. I believe Marita has a comment on the additional funding opportunities. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. I didn't see that. Marita, please go ahead.

MARITA MOLL: Thank you very much. Marita Moll for the record. Yes, can you hear me?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes we can.

MARITA MOLL: Okay. I put my hand up at the last minute, but I remembered that there is discussion going on the list about what can be done by At-Large, and Evan Lebovitch suggested we should be creating and distributing plain-language public education material on the DNS and how it affects the public's use of the internet. So, you know, that might be a thing that we could throw in a request for some funding.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I think so. It depends who leads that. Do you want to lead that, or Evan?

MARITA MOLL: I'll talk to Evan about it.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yeah? Okay --

MARITA MOLL: Yeah. I'll talk to Evan about it. Heidi, you're on.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, thank you. That's an excellent suggestion, Marita; just a couple of points. One is you might wish to search or ask -- I can ask communications for what current information is available. No need to duplicate things if they already exist. And then the second point is that one of the umbrella additional budget requests that are being considered by Marine -- and I believe it was mentioned on the FBSC call

-- was a request for overall communications support. That might skill building, that might be simple-language materials, but this is being considered by the FBSC and I believe that might fit nicely into that overall umbrella request. Thank you.

MARITA MOLL: Okay, thank you, Heidi. It's Marita speaking. I guess there's some coordination needed. So, we'll try to work on that.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Marita, we will follow up in January on that, okay? But this thing has to be put in very fast. So contact me or Glenn and we'll help, you know, with the process, or Heidi.

MARITA MOLL: Okay, will do.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you for the idea. Judith, [inaudible].

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. It's Judith Hellerstein for the record. Marita, I think you might want to look back at past submissions, because one thing that didn't get help and that didn't get approved by the board in the past but could possibly use discretionary funds is a program to put in simple languages and communications. And so you might want to look at that for some

guidance on what they did have done before, because maybe that will go through this time in a different format. So that's my suggestion.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Judith. Heidi, is that an old or a new on?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just a really quick point -- this is Heidi again -- that the communications department has, in the last several years, received funding under the ADRs as a bucket envelope to help SOs and ACs and SGs with their communication needs. So I suspect that this will happen again, and if so, this request or similar requests for communication materials could possibly go under that kind of umbrella request. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Well, what I hear from Heidi and Marita and Judith is that there are opportunities there to do this. So, let's state them, and we'll go with that and see what happens. So thank you so much, Marita, for bringing that up. I have read those emails, by the way. Yes. So, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sure. Okay, let me circle back. It's Glenn for the transcript records. If we go back to the item number 4 is outreach group. As you may all know from the last meeting, we had an outreach table at the IGF. We had our brochures at that event; it was a very popular booth at the IGF in Paris. Each of the RALOs had their booths, except that each of the RALOs had their literature except like LACRALO at that time. But we

took names of contacts. Unfortunately, I didn't find anyone from North America at that outreach table. But we did have quite a bit of interest in At-Large as a whole. And many of us who were there attended various different sessions. And at the IGF, many of us were actually doing workshops and speaking engagements throughout the entire time when we were there. So that was one of the big outreach efforts recently.

Coming up is the IGF Trinidad. Even though it's not in our region, I'll be attending that to support the IGF in Trinidad, and I'll be taking LACRALO brochures as well as some NARALO. But again, that's in the territory for LACRALO. It was mentioned very quickly that each of us did an outreach in the case of the effort that was done in Ottawa. It was a face-to-face talk, there was a live stream and the Adobe Connect room. So we had some opportunity to provide literature and talk to different people about what we're doing at NARALO.

So that's basically it at this point in terms of outreach. And I believe we're moving ahead. We have a couple of organizations that are supposed to this year submit their applications to be an ALS. So I'll be following up, and I hope to have an update soon.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

I want to remind people about the conference for FY19.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah. So we have one that's coming up on December 20th. That is the first trip, which is the NTC 19. NTC 19 is a substitute from the trip that

we had that was scheduled earlier. So the NTC 19; it's 19 years of conference. It's focused on the not-for-profit sector and IT not-for-profit civil society; people who actually work. And I believe there's 1.2 million not-for-profits in the U.S. and 30,000 in Canada. And these are all individuals that go to these to get updated on anything from security to AI to you name it. In the past, PIR was one of the best-known sponsors. I'm not sure if they are anymore, but it's great networking. I have attended these before, in Washington as well as in San José. So I know the value of the event. So that is an open competition. So please take the time. I've sent out the Skype list as well as the NARALO newsletter as well as the email link to the Google forms. So, if we have multiple people applying for it, we'll have a small committee to assess the appropriate person to go.

So that is the first one that's due on December 20th in a couple of weeks. And then in January, we have the other two. The next ERIN trip is in the running, and the other trip will be in Charlotte, North Carolina is the digital inclusion. So all three of them are going through a process of outreach to all of you to -- and whether you're in ALS or an affiliate, you're welcome to apply. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you so much for your report, Glenn. Now, let's hear what Leah has to say about NomCom. Leah, are you prepared?

LEON SANCHEZ:

Eduardo, may I [inaudible]?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Who is this?

LEON SANCHEZ: This is Leon.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Oh, I thought you were in the plane. Okay Leon, please go.

LEON SANCHEZ: Yes, I am about to take off. That's why I just want to wish everyone a very nice holiday season. Thank you for having me on the call and apologies for not staying until the end, because I'm about to take off. So thanks everyone and happy holidays.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. Thank you for thinking about us and for participating in our call. Have a safe flight wherever you're going.

LEON SANCHEZ: I will, thanks.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, bye-bye. Leah, the floor is all yours.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Thank you. This is Leah Symekher for the record. Can you all hear me?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, we can.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Okay, excellent. Great. Thanks for the few minutes here to give you an update on NomCom. We recently had our kick-off meeting in Barcelona, and as you can see on the screen right now, that is the team. A few of our members are not there for this picture, but we have members from the 2018 NomCom and the 2019 new members of the NomCom. And we have really gelled and had a pretty good kick-off meeting. Right away we got into the preparatory face of our work to help us put together procedures and operations in place to get us going with the candidate selection.

Next slide. So this are the open seats that we are tasked with finding qualified candidates for. The public technical identifiers, we have one seat open; that's a three-year term. The ICANN board of directors, we have three seats open; that's a three-year term. GNSO Council, we have two seats opens; that's a three-year term. And for the At-Large Advisory Committee, we have three seats open; a three-year term. The At-Large is for specific regions. As you see, we have Asia, Australia and the Pacific Islands. We have Africa, and we have election in America and the Caribbean Islands. So that's the space specific in terms of geography. The ccNSO council, we have one seat and that's a three-year term.

Next slide. It was, as you know, NomCom was tasked with putting a balance in terms of diversity, whether it's gender, geographic skills and find any gaps that are missing in the board for us to select suitable candidates who can fill out those gaps as independent mandate. We try to make sure that we're able to uphold that. Currently, right now, you see our diversity map here. North America is pretty much at capacity on the board, and so is Europe. So we're actually concentrating much of our efforts to look for qualified candidates in Latin American and the Caribbean Islands, Africa and Asia, Australia and the Pacific Islands.

So that's where we're putting most of our efforts. If you know any candidates from those regions, let us know. Of course North American candidates can apply, but our efforts are focused on those regions because of adversity gaps that we need to fill.

Next slide. So these are our timelines. Please feel free to go to our website. I'll put the website link on our screen shortly. But we just finished a preparatory phase and we are in the outreach phase right now. And this is the outreach phase where we try to recruit. We put in our efforts to recruit suitable candidates. So, we're reaching out to you as NARALO to help us with those efforts. The candidates outreach phase has started already and will continue all the way to January 15 when the applications begin and also through to the end of March while the application period is ongoing. I am the chair for the outreach subcommittee team this year. So if you have any ideas for me in terms of NARALO and NomCom getting candidates, I'd definitely appreciate that.

Thank you for your time. And let me know if you have any questions. Oh, yes, this is the last slide that I'd like to share with you to visit our website as often as you can or just have any questions on what the NomCom is or what the NomCom is doing. Feel free to go to our website. We also have an email address where you can reach us with any questions that you have.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Leah. I do have a question. Even though the concentration on the people that you put on the board in Latin America, Africa, and what's the other one? I can't remember.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Asia.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Asia. So if somebody from North America or Europe applies, will they be considered or you will not consider those this year?

LEAH SYMEKHER: Yes, they will be considered, because we are looking for the most qualified candidates. So, if we get the most qualified candidates from the other regions, just as we're going through our selection process they'll definitely be selected because we need to reach that gap. But we do invite all applicants. We'll consider all applicants.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, this is Eduardo again. And the other question is, when can people start applying? Is that already up for people to apply, or they have to wait until next year?

LEAH SYMEKHER: Yes. The applications in fact are on January 15th. That's when the application period begins.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay.

LEAH SYMEKHER: And we will have all the information on our website, because we're not using the same wiki that has been used previously. It's going to be a new system that we're trying to roll out. So we'll have all that information on our website, so we're still trying to get that completed before the application period opens.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Thank you so much. Anybody has any question for Leah? If not, thank you so much for the information, Leah. I'm going to include you in the agenda again so you can give us updates on what's happening in NomCom through the next cycle. So, thank you so much, Leah.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Yeah, I definitely will come back. And I'm adding the link to the website in case anyone didn't catch it on the screen. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Thank you so much, Leah. So, the next item is the update on the North American stakeholder engagement. I'm not sure if Chris [inaudible], I think he's in Nepal. I don't know if Chris is on the line. If not, then we move forward, and John is [inaudible] people present. So, can you give us an update on what's happening in ALAC so we know what's happening there?

JOHN LAPRISE: John Laprise for the record. So, hi, everyone. Everyone can hear me, correct?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, we can.

JOHN LAPRISE: Okay. Thank you. So we've got a meeting earlier, the ALT plus, and there's a long list of things we're working on, so there's additional advice going out on upcoming policy. We are cordoning for Atlas. We are beginning planning for ICANN 64. So, those are the big things off the top of my head that are occupying everyone's time. I guess in summary, that's what's going on. We're keeping really busy.

The policy working group with Jonathan and Olivier are cranking out policy and trying to get things organized and get more people on board. Social media working group, we can continue to make -- I'm going to be working on that in the coming weeks to get some organization and get

some content. The editorial calendar is going. So, it's been it's been very, very busy. And I can take questions --

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is Eduardo. You forgot that they appointed that used to be the liaison between ALAC and the Non-Commercial stakeholder group and the Non-Commercial user group.

JOHN LAPRISE: Yeah. So, I'm a small L-liaison, so I'm not going to -- it's not an official position, but we've had a number of conversations both during and after the last ICANN meeting with NCUC and I'm going to be unofficially talking with Tatiana and the team over there to hopefully coordinate on issues of common interests going forward.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Well, thank you so much, John. Judith, do you have a question or do you have a comment?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: It's Judith Hellerstein for the record. Before the -- we don't only have the auction proceeds closing tomorrow, but we also have policy comments closing on Wednesday as well. And then some policy comments closing in December and then other ones closing in the beginning of January. So it's a very active policy discussion period. And so it's a chance for everyone to read them and make your comments known. And the other gTLD one is closing, I think, on Wednesday.

So please review all those comp policy comments. They are on a new place in the wiki that Maureen was debuting at the ALAC plus meetings. This should be a very easy way for us to find things on the wiki. So, I urge everyone to go look at that. And feel free to comment on any of these policy proposals. Thanks.

JOHN LAPRISE: John Laprise for the record. What Judith said.

EDUARDO DIAZ: What was that, John?

JOHN LAPRISE: I was just seconding Judith's comment. She's completely on target here. There's tons of things we're doing.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Thank you so much. And I also thank you, Judith, for the information. I also want to point out at the end of the agenda, all the way at the end, there's a table with all the comments on that buys and deadlines and the links to this. So if you're looking at the wiki page, at the end there's all kinds of information, all kinds of links. So I encourage you to go there and see if there is. And you still have time to put your comment in. It's interesting in that type of a policy.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes, I just wanted to add one more thing, John, if I might. During the ALPs call there was reference to the ALAC gateway, and some new pages that are posted there just so everyone knows what the gateway is. This is the ALAC for page. This is the main ALAC page on the wiki. And if you open that, there is a large purple box in the upper left.

And what is new on that page is there's an At-Large government workspace that has all of the key links to At-Large rules of procedure, email guide, all the RALO rules and MOUs. And also at the bottom of that table, some key ICANN links including the bylaws and the new travel guidelines. And then the second new report, on this gateway for easy access to all of the wikis is the At-Large reports page. And that will list all of the reports for the SOAC liaison's capital L, upper case L. And then also working group activities or the working group chairs reports. And then also the RALO reports.

So, for example, if you wanted to read the NARALO reports, you can either use your newsletter, which I know APRALO was using as a report, or Eduardo and Glenn could write just a paragraph or so of what is the latest happening in NARALO. So those are some of the new pages there. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Heidi, for that. And I'm just going to make sure to put a link to that -- you called it a gateway, no?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. And we even -- yeah, this is Heidi -- we even titled it finally, so people can know what we were talking about. We called it the At-Large gateway. So, you'll --

EDUARDO DIAZ: I'm going to -- go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, hopefully you'll get to use that page, because that's a really easy way for most people to find their way around our wiki.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Thank you so much. And thank you for that reminder. That's very good. Judith? Want to comment?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Judith Hellerstein for the record. Heidi, could you place -- that email you put in was the main page, but the gateway is not on that page.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So again, make sure -- this is Heidi. So, it is on -- well, the gateway is on the portal; the ALAC main page, not the dashboard, but it's the main ALAC portal. And if you're not seeing it, and if you're not seeing that gray tree, as we call it, down the left side, you need to hover your cursor over the far end of that white space on that page, pull it to the right and it will open up both the gateway and the gray trees So if you're not

seeing it, you need to play around with it. And you'll be able to eventually, hopefully find it. If not, just contact us.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay. Judith, you want to follow up? No? Okay. Thank you so much. So the next item is supposed to be done by David, but I know Anna is here and it's an effort that they're doing as students, an outreach into making our students on large structures welcome. And you have the floor if you want to give us an update on this effort. Go ahead, Anna? You might be muted. Anna, we cannot hear you. Try now.

ANNA LOUP:

Hello? How about now?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Anna, now we can hear you now.

ANNA LOUP:

Oh, great. Sorry. Sorry about that. All right. I'm sort of filling in here for David. I usually try to pass stuff on to him when I'm not in the middle of finals. But I'm in the middle of finals, so I'll try and be quick. So, I've heard a little bit about development around incorporating students and I've spent a lot of time this semester actually working with faculty, developing their syllabi, doing syllabi development as well as doing sort of one-on-one guests lectures. I've gone to classes, and I've been doing guest lectures about ICANN.

I actually did a guest lecture for a USC course when I was in Barcelona, which went very, very well. And this actually leads me to something that I've been interesting in discussing a little bit more here, is about thinking about instead of doing outreach to find populations or groups that might be interested in the work that we're doing and start thinking about developing a syllabi or developing a list of documents, articles, books that academics, professors, researchers can use to form their work. One of the things I've found as I've been developing these syllabi with professors is that they're using very, very outdated documents. So this is becomes a problem, right? You don't want to teach with tools that are outdated, because then if people want to get involved in the community, they're either behind several years or they're not quite up to date.

So this is something I wanted to propose as sort of an issue that's been coming up in lots of work we've been doing regarding outreach. The next thing looking forward into the next year and into the next semester, USC is going to be having at least two panels focused on internet governance. These are going to be in development with the Annenberg research network on international communication.

And so this is a moment to just let everyone here know as well as those who are based in L.A. who would like to get involved that these are going to be develop. So if people are in the United States at some point and would like to sort of come and visit L.A., let me know and we could probably arrange some support for you there.

The final thing is the International Communication Association is a very, very large -- it's the largest communication research conference. And it

is in June in Washington, D.C. I think this would be a really great opportunity to do outreach. I've heard rumors that they're going to have a pre-conference at American University, but I really think that we can also just step up our presence there as well, and I'd be more than happy to make connections and facilitate that. And those are my three updates. I'll open my floor to comments or questions.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Anna. Michael, you have a question?

MICHAEL CASADEVALL:

A question and a comment. So, I have some -- I've been doing some outreach through the local death con communities in the New York and New Jersey areas, specifically, I've been doing talks about DNS security, ICANN and I'll be hosting a workshop for DNS, hopefully in the near future for death con 212. I may have some materials and slides that talk a lot about how DNS sat and DNS in general work, which may be of use for you.

If it would definitely -- another good place to outreach is through local communities, the 2600 group, the death con groups, because you can find a lot of people that have tactical skills that may be interested in becoming involved with policy. Yes, John, I definitely agree. There was a lot of those really strong reception -- I'll drop the link in the chat to my DNS presentation that I did; don't judge too harshly. I've still been tweaking it.

The other comment that I wanted to make here is I would like to put material together for doing practical DNS, you know, teaching people how you do DNS. This is how you handle things like so on and so on. I mostly do trial running, this is the New York area, but I'd love to work with you to get a curriculum to work in the larger area.

ANNA LOUP:

Awesome. Actually, that would be great. I'll circle back with you. Thank you for the link. Yeah, I think this is something that I've noticed and, you know, sort of working with -- I predominantly work with social scientists, so I'm in communications, international relations, governors works, urban planning, right?

So I'm sort of in the social sciences side, and that's sort of a new movement that we're seeing is we're seeing these intersections of social scientists working with folks from engineering schools. And so that intersection there is really important. And I think I'll circle back with you on that, because I think making sure that social science professors are assigning technical documents to, you know, for instance, communications or international affair scholars is really important because there's this whole thought process that, "Oh, well, they're not technical. They don't need to know."

And so I think that this is something that I know because of my background. I don't have a lot of information that I'm adding into their curriculum, so I think this would be a really great place for collaboration. And which is why, going back, having a shared document, having a

shared space, so that people can really, you know, make their syllabi their own. So great. I'll circle back.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. John, you wanted to say something about it?

JOHN LAPRISE: Yes, thank you. John Laprise. So, first of all my question is -- and I ask this as a former communications professor -- so which conference were you talking about in June and July.

ANNA LOUP: ITA, International Communications Association conference, in D.C. I think it's at the end of June.

JOHN LAPRISE: Yeah, so I've attended both ITA and NCA a lot back in the day when I was a professor. I'm not sure that it's the right venue, only in the sense that there's a lot going on, and IT is incredibly broad. And so we might just get lost in the scramble. It's much less process than might be useful. I'm not positive; it may have changed since I've been there, but I suspect it will have gotten even broader. Communication generally is a fertile ground for that. But it's so diverse; finding the right niche faculty is really crucial. Thank you.

ANNA LOUP: Thank you so much, John. Is it okay if I respond to John real quick?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. Yes, that's fine.

ANNA LOUP: Yeah. So, I should have been a little bit more clear around ICA. My goal is not to plant this in the broader ICA conference, which is huge, having attended quite a few of them. The goal would be to try and figure out -- they have a lot of pre-conferences now. There is talk around the development of [inaudible], so they didn't have it at the last ITA, but they had it when it was in San Diego. They had a [inaudible] pre-conference. So these are very, very small, select conferences that happen in the two or three days prior or the two or three days after ITA where people present their research on very specific areas.

And so I was able to go to it two years ago. And it was really eye opening because some of the conversations they were having around ICANN or even the IGS would have been really interesting if we had had folks who are actually doing policy work in the room to give feedback to academics who are really interested in this area. So that was sort of my hope is to take the work that's being done and bring that together with academic development. So, that's sort of where I was going with that. Sorry to not be more clear.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Well, any other comments? If not, Anna, what do you need from NARALO that can help move this idea or this syllabi or something, like whatever that tends to be, forward?

ANNA LOUP:

Great. Yeah. So I think really the only thing that we need going forward is just people to participate in the collaboration. As a grad student, I am actually doing my exams next semester, so I have a lot of things going. But hopefully, working with David, the goal is to publicize the development of this list. And the first thing going forward is getting people to participate and add things to a Google doc. Right? So, articles they've written, presentations that they developed, and sort of making these accessible.

And then the next step would be to publicize that among different departments, and sort of say, "Hey, I know it's that time of year for syllabi development," which would be around, February, March, maybe early April, and say, "Here's a list of important documents, articles, books that you can use to develop your syllabi for next fall." And so this is sort of the two-step process there. So January, February, we hopefully develop the corpus and then we publicize it February, March, maybe early April.

But really, it's just people adding -- it's a very low amount of work, I think, involved in this. And that was sort of my goal, is to propose something that is very low amount of work, but also, that can have a really big impact, especially after spending a semester just developing syllabi with different professors.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay. Thank you. So, anyone that's interesting in this, I can help. It's in the board. And to Anna, please connect her to our list or to the mailing lists and see how this moves forward. Thank you so much, Anna, for

your report. So we're almost at the end of the call -- go ahead, Anna. Okay. Well, thank you so much. So, we're almost at the end of the call, and Jonathan Zuck is not here, so Alfredo, can you tell us a little bit about the group? What's happening or what's coming up?

ALFREDO CALDERON: Yes, can you hear me?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes.

ALFREDO CALDERON: Okay. This is Alfredo Calderon for the record. Basically, what we've been doing is asking our speakers based on the latest policy documents that are out there to give us a short presentation. What I would like to have is people from this community suggesting speakers that we could invite for the upcoming meeting for next year. And you can send them through the email that I posted on the chat, so we can start planning for next year.

For January, we're going to have Chris Mondini and Joe Catapano speak to us about what is their perception of the perspective of the future of ICANN, so that we can use that as a base to engage from that point on with the upcoming sessions we might have in our small webinars. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Alfredo. So, that brings us to the end of the meeting. Anybody want to say anything before we adjourn? If not, I don't hear anyone, so everybody have a happy -- Glenn? Yes, go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, I just have a quick comment. I'm working on the survey on policy issues. So APRALO has sent one out recently. So Eduardo and I will craft some straw-man questions and then get the feedback from the community to refine the survey before we send it out. And again if anyone has any news or information for the December newsletter, please send it on to me and I'll include it for the newsletter. So, as of January, I welcome Suzanna as the new editor starting in January. Thank you, Suzanna. And we look forward to any of your comments. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. And next is Michael. Do you have your phone on?

MICHAEL CASADEVALL: Michael Casadevall for the transcript. So I just wanted to note that besides a root server emulator that can do DNSEC, I've also been doing some research into top-level domain health and writing tools on validating client resolver behavior. Basically, how the end user sees the new DNS system versus the view from the server operator. Because, as I discovered the hard way, some DNS resolvers will lie to you or hijack 453 traffic.

So, this research is still in the early stages, but I've had some promising results. And maybe something were following up on, I figured I'd bring it up since we talked about some of the other stuff that I've been working on. So I figured I'd mention it, and hopefully I'll have a good trial run of my DNS workshop to report on in January, or if it goes up in smoke.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. Judith, please?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, this is Judith Hellerstein for the record. I also -- our colleague a new person from ISAC Quebec, Pierre-Jean Darres, is on the call. And so I also wanted to welcome him in joining the NARALO call. He's going to be the new person for ISAC Quebec. So, welcome, Pierre-Jean.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Pierre, if you want to say a few words to the group, please be my guest and join in, and tell us who you are, what do you do and welcome to the group. Pierre? We cannot hear you if you're speaking. Okay. If you get connected somehow, please do so. Glenn, you have the floor now.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No, it's an old hand. It's okay. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Oh, it's an old hand. Okay. Well, we can't hear Pierre, so thank you so much for being in our group. And, like I said, everybody have a happy holiday. And we'll keep in touch offline, and we will hear everyone back when we get our next call, which is going to be January the 10th. Glenn, is that an old hand, or?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: It's still an old hand.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. This meeting has been adjourned. Thank you so much for being here today. Thank you. Bye-bye.

ANDREA GLANDON: Thank you. This concludes today's conference. Please remember to disconnect all lines and have a wonderful rest of your day.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]