
BRENDA BREWER: Thank you very much. Hello, everyone. This is Brenda speaking. Welcome to SSR2 Plenary Call #52 on the 29th of November, 2018, at 15:00 UTC.

Attending the call today is Ram, Eric, Kaveh, Laurin, Russ Denise, Scott, and Norm. Mr. Matagoro will join us momentarily. We have no observers at this time. We do have apologies from Boban and Jennifer. And from ICANN Org attending is Negar and myself, Brenda.

Today's call is being recorded. I'd like to remind you to state your name before speaking. And Russ, I'll turn the call over to you.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, great. Welcome. We've been having a robust e-mail discussion about the preface to the SSR1 review and I'm hoping that we can put that to bed today. Some of the people who have been involved in that discussion are not with us right now. But I'm hoping we can still put it to bed and at least get it to the point where we can send it back to the e-mail list and get consensus on it.

Warren, I know that you're on a train, but I hope you can participate.

WARREN KUMARI: [inaudible] and I hope you can hear me over the [inaudible].

RUSS HOUSLEY: Yeah, I hear you fine. Okay. Right before the call I scanned the current state of the document. Is there anything you want to highlight that's been changed recently?

WARREN KUMARI: I think I'll just do a quick run-through of our recent edits. So, a lot of people contributed. A lot of [inaudible] I believe. Two who are not here, KC and Boban [inaudible] stuff. And Kerri as well who is also not here. What we added was I mentioned, based on an e-mail from [inaudible] I believe, that we had restrictions as to what we could do. There are still a lot of open discussions in the document which we should address, I believe.

I'll just run through, so people have an idea of [inaudible] detail [inaudible]. There's some text [inaudible] which should keep them [inaudible]. There's some questions regarding [inaudible] that I think Boban [inaudible] section. And the current structure is that [inaudible] our situation [inaudible] possible.

Then, Mr. Matagoro, who is right now not on the call wants to be a bit more detailed in some places, so he wants to mention some documents [inaudible].

Then, there are two or three things [of language] and the last one that I think [inaudible] main structure is [inaudible] increase [inaudible]. And I essentially put it up there and [inaudible] in one, two, three, four, five, six so that it's clearer in the document [inaudible]. We do that, or I do that, saying [inaudible] clear what refers to what.

Apart from that, I think the document is in the chatroom, so you [inaudible] now. The other people have commented, so [inaudible] previous period, [inaudible] comments were this should now be okay, and if not, [inaudible] concern because it is essentially part of why we're doing this, and if so, we have to [inaudible] what happened and make sure that everyone is [inaudible]. If not, [inaudible]. Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Okay. Thank you. Is there anyone who wants to raise an issue with any of the wording in the document now? Laurin has pasted the URL into the chatroom, if anyone is having trouble seeing it. Is there anyone who has any concerns with this document as it stands at the moment? Okay, I'm not hearing any, so I will make a call to the list that says I think we've reached a place where we have consensus. Please raise any concerns immediately. I realize I jumped around in the agenda and we were [inaudible] to first talk about the face-to-face session and meetings in Kobe. Negar, I think you're handling now.

NEGAR FARZINNIA:

Russ, yes, I am. But Laurin has his hand raised. Do you want to address his comment first before we move on?

RUSS HOUSLEY:

I'm sorry. Go ahead, Laurin.

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

Yes. This is just for procedure. Please be so kind and put suggestions in the Google Doc. It's much easier to follow-up on. Now, with [inaudible], you mentioned where we should put additional information and I would really appreciate it and just provide one example of something [inaudible] address your comment appropriately. That would be great. And yes, [inaudible] Google Doc and I'll do my best to include it and then [inaudible]. Thank you very much.

NEGAR FARZINNI:

Okay. If no other comments, I'm happy to provide a brief update on the agenda item pertaining to the upcoming face-to-face meeting or meetings. As you're aware, the team is planning to have a face-to-face meeting in January in either Vancouver or Los Angeles and the ICANN 64 meeting in March in Kobe.

Regarding the upcoming January, we are still waiting for the meetings team to provide us with some cost estimates. They are almost done. They have requested for a few additional days to complete their assessment, so that hopefully they can send us a complete package of cost comparisons between Los Angeles and Vancouver and we will present them to you accordingly.

For the Kobe meeting in March, we have submitted a global event form for the pre-meeting dates and travel has also been submitted. So, you should be receiving your welcome letters soon, which will be followed up with, as soon as the EMS form opens up, we will be submitting a session for your engagement as requested to the system for the

consideration along with the other agenda topics or other meeting sessions.

That's all I have on travel for you. I'm happy to answer any questions that you may have.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

I think it's worth highlighting that on the mail list we talked about Kobe meeting the 7th or the 8th, and after some discussion, we felt that reducing the amount of time in Kobe was better, so we're going with the request is for the 8th and the 9th in the follow-up session at the end because the goal is that we'll be doing a lot of outreach in Kobe and so we wanted to make sure we had time to process whatever feedback we receive at that point.

NEGAR FARZINNIA:

That is correct, Russ. There will be meetings on the 8th and the 9th per the review team's request. A wrap-up meeting on the 14th on the last day of the meeting and then an engagement session during the week of the meeting at some point.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Okay, thank you. Any questions for Negar?

DENISE MICHEL:

Russ, this is Denise.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Go ahead.

DENISE MICHEL: Can you hear me?

RUSS HOUSLEY: Go ahead, Denise. Your hand is up.

DENISE MICHEL: Can you hear me?

NEGAR FARZINNIA: Yes, we can hear you. Go ahead, please.

DENISE MICHEL: Great. Could you post in the chatroom and on the e-mail list the dates by which we're asking all team members to be on the ground in Kobe and if we could get a calendar invite out quickly for people to hold the dates, that would be great.

NEGAR FARZINNIA: Definitely.

DENISE MICHEL: I'm probably not alone in having other [inaudible] around that time that they need to manage. And I'm sorry, I may have missed this, but by what date are we going to hear back from travel on our next meeting?

NEGAR FARZINNIA: On the January meeting, Denise, they have reported for a couple of more days. I'm hoping they'll get back to us by end of this week. We are continuously following up with them to ensure that they stay on top of this and provide information to us as requested.

DENISE MICHEL: Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. Any further questions? I don't see any hands in the Adobe Connect. Okay. A couple of people have joined. Earlier in the call, we asked for comments on the SSR1 introductory text and there were none, so we're going to make a consensus call on the text that's in the Google Doc. The URL for the Google Doc is in the Adobe Connect chat. If any of the people who have joined since we've had that discussion have comments, we'd love to hear them now.

Okay. Hearing none, moving on. The thing that I have learned from watching this discussion of the text is that we probably need to nail down early on this part of the writing for each of the other work streams. So, I would like to have the inward-facing and the outward-facing and the future-looking portions written and discussed on the mail list. I was wondering if there's anything that we ought to say now that

would help those work stream authors to come close to getting it right the first time. I'm sorry that neither Boban or Kerry-Ann are here. Any thoughts that any team members want to share regarding this?

So, I'm hoping that basic structure that Laurin has used for the SSR1 portion of this can be used as a template for each of those workstream leaders to propose some text over the next week. I expected a robust discussion about one or the other of these two topics, so I'm really surprised by the silence.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: There are hands up, Russ.

RUSS HOUSLEY: I'm sorry. Mr. Matagoro?

MR. MATAGORO: Yes. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Hello. We hear you well.

MR. MATAGORO: Hello?

RUSS HOUSLEY: Yes, we hear you.

MR. MATAGORO: Hello?

RUSS HOUSLEY: We can hear you.

MR. MATAGORO: Okay. So, regarding the agenda item number three, I have two observations. The first observation is that the methodology that we are putting is quite good, but it is not capturing all the – or we might not have used all the approaches.

For example, proposing that we also go to an extension of reaching to some of the stakeholders who are affected in either a negative way, a positive way, in the implementation of some of these recommendations.

So, in that way, do you also help us to reframe the recommendations that we have mentioned in the document that we are differentiating them in as much to be SMART recommendations after also getting some input from the stakeholders who are also affected in one way or another with the implementation of the SSR1 recommendation.

The second observation is that we [initial] the secretariat shared list of documents to read and some of these documents might also serve the purpose of as an input to recommendations that we are giving out. So, it is also a very important time to be specific on which document that each one of us has went through and what are the outputs or outcomes

that have been [inaudible] that we think are relevant to some of these recommendations that we are giving out. So, those are two observations that I thought, that I mentioned. However, I have also repeated the same in the chatroom. Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Thank you. Laurin, do you want to follow-up on that?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Yes. [inaudible] Matagoro for giving [inaudible] on the document. So, [inaudible] referring to the document [inaudible] that essentially, the material was considered. So, [inaudible]. I think this is in our recommendations [inaudible] if we just go ahead and put a footnote in the text saying the relevant document for each recommendation are mentioned with recommendations. Would that be okay?

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. I see a hand from Mr. Matagoro.

BRENDA BREWER: Mr. Matagoro, your microphone is open if you'd like to speak.

RUSS HOUSLEY: So, Laurin, I think if his first point is that the methodology should say that we also talk to the affected stakeholders when appropriate and the second part does belong in the write-up of each SSR1 recommendation

where we need to point out which documents the review team used to come to the conclusion that are stated in that section.

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

Okay. Sorry. I totally went over one point because I didn't put it in the Google Doc. Didn't our outreach and our sessions with community what we are referring to [inaudible]? We do [inaudible] people are able to comment and this is particularly what we want to do in Kobe, so I'm happy to include that. The documentation, this may have been lost in the [inaudible] maybe on a train. We do specifically point out the documentation we look at for each recommendation and that is asking before would it be enough that we say in that document [inaudible] to relevant documentation for each recommendation in the actual report which we are doing. So, [inaudible] in our document all the stuff we looked at and all the answers. Would that be okay?

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Mr. Matagoro, go ahead. Mr. Matagoro, can you speak now? I don't see him speaking – or don't hear him speaking and I don't see him typing, so I'm not sure what to do at this point. Okay. So, I take that to mean he's happy with the response and, Laurin, you'll make another pass to make sure that those two points are clearly covered.

Okay. Those were the things that I needed to – that we had on the agenda. I expected a more robust discussion. I will call for consensus on the mail list on the document and ask that work stream leads to propose another introductory text for each of the other work streams.

Is there any other business for today?

BRENDA BREWER: Russ, Zarko has his hand raised.

RUSS HOUSLEY: I'm sorry. Thank you. Zarko? Zarko, if you're speaking, we can't hear you. No, we cannot hear you.

NEGAR FARZINNIA: Zarko, we cannot hear you.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. He's going to send e-mail. So, is there any other business?

BRENDA BREWER: Nothing on our side, Russ. Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Any review team members want to raise anything else? Okay. I don't know if Negar or Brenda is going to go through the action items.

NEGAR FARZINNIA: I will do that quickly. We captured three. First one is for Laurin to modify the SSR1 methodology document based on the discussion on this plenary call. Russ to send out the SSR1 methodology document that

the review team made on this for review team approval. The last item is for staff to send out [inaudible] calendar invites to the review team for the March meeting in Kobe.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Okay. Thank you. Thank you, all. Please be active on the mail list. I'd like to settle these documents very quickly. Thank you.

BRENDA BREWER:

Thanks, everyone.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]