

**ICANN**

**Moderator: Maryam Bakoshi  
February 21, 2018  
9:15 am CT**

(Lizzy): Excuse me the recording has started. You may proceed.

Maryam Bakoshi: Thank you very much Lizzy. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. This is the NPOC ExCom ICANN Call on 21 of February, 2018 at 13:00 UTC. On the call today, we have Gangadhar Panday, Joan Kerr, Juan Manuel Rojas, Olevie Kouami, Sam Lanfranco, and from Staff we have myself Maryam Bakoshi. I'd like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes and please mute your microphone when you're not speaking and over to you Joan.

Joan Kerr: Thank you, Maryam. Did you say Raoul as well?

Maryam Bakoshi: I don't see Raoul in the...

Joan Kerr: Yes, he was on the...

Raoul Plommer: I'm here though.

Joan Kerr: Yes.

Maryam Bakoshi: Oh alright, sorry about that Raoul. So, (Raoul) Plommer) as well. Thank you very much.

Joan Kerr: No worries. Hi everybody. Thank you for the call. It's a bit early for me but we have a lot to do so Sam just before we start are you staying with us for the two hours or is there anybody that has to leave and is there anything that we have to deal with before anyone leaves? That's the first question.

Sam Lanfranco: I think I can stay. I can work in the background in my night (unintelligible).

Joan Kerr: Oh okay, great. All right so no issues there. Great so, we'll just follow the agenda if everybody - as we said so the first thing we'd like to do is talk about the actions from the last meeting so we make sure we stay on track here. And I just want to point out that these actions should actually go on the Trello site so that we can always go to the Trello to track it because right now I'm actually tracking it but then I'll have to send out an email.

But I think essentially Maryam, if I could ask you for our actions from the meeting that they could go on Trello after the meeting within let's say two days, if that's possible so that everyone can go to the Trello and check it. And I am assuming -- hoping -- everyone has a Trello account as far as I know, right Raoul?

Raoul Plommer: Yes, as far as I know as well. I'm now trying to connect to the room with two separate computers with two different operating systems and it's not working. It just says connection (ad infinitum).

Maryam Bakoshi: Raoul, you may want to restart your browser. A lot of time it works or restart your computer. Thank you.

Raoul Plommer: All right.

Joan Kerr: Okay so let's just go through the actions very quickly. And by the way I received Poncelet's report but I didn't receive anybody else's report -- written report -- because I really want us to start uploading onto the Web site at some point so people know that we are actually doing something. We do a lot of work and I don't think that we've been focused on it getting out there so that's the next phase is to do the next activities and communicate a lot more with our members so if people could try to do that every month that would be fantastic.

Okay so, the first one is Juan did an excellent job at the Intersessional. Yes! I think that the new logo - our activities really impressed people. There was a number of the business constituency came up and really congratulated us for the work. They were impressed that we had new members -- more members -- and that, you know, the rebranding and that there was a lot of thought put into it. And they really liked that organizational structure so that was great to get that feedback because that was a risk that we were taking, really -- doing that kind of work -- but I think it's important for messaging for the community. So, I just wanted to say that. Thank you, Juan, on behalf of the NPOC. So, we worked together both, Juan and I, for the content and everyone agreed with the content so that was great.

The outreach event in Puerto Rico - last time we went to (unintelligible) where we agreed to continue with that. Renata and I worked together and I somehow had some comments on Skype and so that's something we have to look into -- the wording -- but at this point it's all sent out now. So, we have to take those things into consideration and I will bring it up to Renata as well and see if she - but that event we've got a one organization -- a big organization

and I can't remember the name of it -- who has come on board to help us with the marketing so that's going very well.

Sorry did I hear that somebody wanted to speak? No. So if anyone knows any organization, please feel free to send an Evite PDF (vote) so that we can have a good turnout. Any questions so far about the event in Puerto Rico?

No, okay. So, the next thing is the - I think this completed the action plan. The monthly report - oh Juan has something to say. Go ahead Juan. Juan you have your hand up. He may be on mute. Oh, he's typing. So, while he's typing I'll just continue.

So, I did provide the template. Now that's just a guide, I mean, people can do what they want it's just Poncelet asked for it so and he did a good job in his response so feel free to revise it. The pertinent thing is that we look at what it is that our jobs certain responsibilities are so I put that at the top so that it's always sort of there.

Okay so we didn't get the copies as well. Maryam, if we could put as an action plan to have copies just before we go to Puerto Rico and I'll let you know when. Copies of the two versions of the charter as well but we're going to work on it before we go so I'll let you know or Raoul will let you know when we should have those printed.

So, this is the one I did not know. Maryam to put information on the Wiki. I didn't know that we were supposed to supply the content. It makes sense so that's something that we have to work on. Oh so, I'll answer your question in a second Juan.

So, the next one - yes Raoul asked me the last time to see if (Stepsadle) -- which is the database developer that's doing the NCSG Membership -- they do not do Web site designs so we'll have to find someone so that's actually an action to find a web designer and we can still -- I hope -- apply for the funds that's there for designing it. So, we can work on that as well.

Raoul and I completed the additional budget requirement and sent it off and here we are at the next meeting, so any questions? So, oh – Juan asked a question, “What do we need to do to get ready for the PR Outreach from NPOC's part?” So, this is - we've got the questions, we've got a speaker, so now it's just to send it out there and to invite organizations. That's the main thing getting people in the room.

But I also wanted to ask, Raoul in particular, if you wanted to talk about -- if you feel comfortable -- to talk about GDPR or anything like that because that's such a big, I mean, you know, policy yesterday and it came out in the Intersectional. That's a big focus. Is there something you would want to do a bit of a presentation on? And I have not asked Renata I just thought I'd ask you first, if that's something you'd consider doing?

Raoul Plommer: Sorry the PIR?

Joan Kerr: No, the GDPR.

Raoul Plommer: Oh, GDPR. Yes. Well I am doing my project on it now so but so you want something by Puerto Rico? Anyway, well yes, I can make a short presentation on GDPR and what I know about ICANN's view on it. Yes, I can do that.

Joan Kerr: Okay so I'll propose it, if everyone is okay with that. Just from our side it'll be just a few minutes. I don't know how much time you'd need. I just thought I'll

ask Renata if that's okay. It's obviously a joint thing but I just thought it'd be really great if somebody from NPOC gives something and that's something we want to focus on as well, right.

Raoul Plommer: Yes.

Joan Kerr: It would make a really good - I mean we have to start doing the things we say we are going to do now. So, how many minutes would you like? Remember that Milton is doing a -- he's a key note speaker -- but it would be something along the line of an informational thing. So, five minutes or something like that. Would that work?

Raoul Plommer: Yes, five minutes is plenty.

Joan Kerr: Okay, all right so I will...

Raoul Plommer: I've got another session in Puerto Rico on Open Data Initiative.

Joan Kerr: Okay.

Raoul Plommer: So that's me.

Joan Kerr: All right, so that's great. Just that the NPOC has a presentation as well so.

Raoul Plommer: Right, yes.

Joan Kerr: Great yes. All right so let's move on then. So, the events - I started my (crop) report. I just have to finish it and send it off to Maryam. And I provided a link in the other document of the chair report for the Intersessional if anyone wants to add anything to it, please do so because NCSC is actually taking

responsibility to put that together but we can actually have input so feel free to add to it.

What's important in that for us is the key message is and the actions that came out of that, that you know, obviously that's something we should take - make sure they're in line with what we're doing. We're not taking on everything -- we're taking on operational concerns so anything that's in that. The GDPR is a one thing that I saw really has come out of everything so that's what I noticed. But we're in alignment with what they're doing is I guess what I'm saying so that's Intersessional.

All right, any questions so far? Just, you know, please interrupt.

Raoul Plommer: I think we also need to – Gangadhar needs to make a report for the NCSG for the Intersessional's look.

Joan Kerr: Yes. That would be - yes because he's a - is he representing one of them, right?

Raoul Plommer: That's right, yes.

Joan Kerr: Yes so, Gangadhar, yet to do that - can you tell us when you'll have it done? Gangadhar can we expect that by next week, please?

Gangadhar Panday: Yes.

Joan Kerr: Okay great. So, this time next week? Next Wednesday?

Gangadhar Panday: Yes.

Joan Kerr: Okay great.

Gangadhar Panday: (Unintelligible).

Joan Kerr: Okay. All right, good point. All right so ICANN 61 - I tried to put all the meetings that we have, I mean, I know that we have to be (unintelligible) and all the policy meetings but these are the ones that we're particularly have to be at for NPOC. Any questions about that? I still have to do the Constituency day. I've asked Martin, he'll be a presenter. And Sam, you won't be in Puerto Rico, right?

Sam Lanfranco: Correct.

Joan Kerr: Yes, and nor is Poncelet or Olevie. So, all right, for Constituency day then, again, we should be talking about GDPR and of course Juan you have to let me know but the booklet is ready to launch so I thought that maybe you and I guess (Tina) could do a presentation on that? Sam has his hand up but Juan if you could answer that in a minute. Go ahead Sam. I'm just going to mute so if there's a question.

Sam Lanfranco: Okay. I'll just talk to you about just one more item for Constituency day. You may suggest that the Constituents look at who the US Representatives to GAC is and consider opening up a discussion with them whereas there is almost no communication between the GAC members and the (self-providing) groups in their own countries and that doesn't tribute to them coming to the meeting, with a broader understanding and (recognition). I think it would improve if we could get everybody's to do that it could improve the dynamics of GAC internal decision making.



So just to see when the (unintelligible) should say, "This is the person there in Washington and we've got questions and issues about this stuff," you know, and deal with them as well. Did I lose everybody?

Joan Kerr: No, I was on mute and it takes a second or so to unmute. Yes, that's a good suggestion. If I'm clear, are you saying to the Outreach Meeting or just in general?

Sam Lanfranco: I'm saying in particular to the Outreach Meeting because the business community in many countries is in contact with their GAC representatives but the civil society element is not and from what I can gather GAC is really -- in terms of decision making in there -- is people who don't understand the issues defer to the powerful players and they can do something to increase the awareness engagement of GAC representatives from other countries. Meeting with the US GAC members is a bit difficult but they should at least know that civil society is watching them.

Joan Kerr: And we should have a relationship with them anyway. So, I'll mention that to Renata as well, so thanks for that. All right, Juan you had your hand up before. Did we answer your question or - it's down now but. Oh, go ahead.

Sam Lanfranco: No, I have no questions.

Joan Kerr: Okay, Juan did you still have something to say? Your hand is down, John. Oh, so yes Maryam I'm going to ask Renata to consider having that because we do have our program but to mention it to Renata to consider it for the Outreach. That's the action and I have it down as well. Okay so Juan is not saying anything.

Yes, to consider because we have a tight Outreach agenda but we do want to frame the even with information so when the round table discussions happen and that's why they are asking her to consider the NPOC and the GAC is important so that it's framed in a broad sense, so yes.

All right do we need to consider...

Maryam Bakoshi: Into the action item because I didn't quite get what you need to do.

Joan Kerr: I'm going to ask her to consider having a GAC member -- the US Representative I think was the suggestion -- to speak at the Outreach but what I'm saying is asking her discussing it doesn't mean it's going to be a decision because we're already finished the program is all I'm saying.

Maryam Bakoshi: Right, okay. Thank you.

Joan Kerr: Yes.

Sam Lanfranco: Sam here.

Joan Kerr: Yes.

Sam Lanfranco: Okay let me suggest the (saving) that strategy. The GAC members at the event will be unavailable to anybody to discuss anything of substance. What I'm talking about is for constituency at home going after their own GAC members who is a member of their own national government. In Canada they should be talking (unintelligible) in who are part of the NCSG should be talking to our GAC representative. In Britain they should be talking to theirs and so forth. Getting into saying anything outside GAC other than, you know, "Pass the sugar," at an ICANN meeting is virtually impossible.

So, it's just to get our stakeholders and (these) stakeholders (committed) to add being proactive toward their own GAC member. Most of the members don't even know who their GAC member is. They're national (unintelligible) and so I'm talking about domestic engagement at home.

Joan Kerr: Okay so not necessarily to speak but that they know that there is such a person.

Sam Lanfranco: If they know there is such a person and if it's part of the mandates in trying to influence security civility of the domain system within ICANN's (unintelligible) is that they talk to that person because that person, A, isn't involved in giving advice to ICANN through GAC. And, two, it's important for them to know who it is within their actual governments that are engaging in global and within that policy.

(Unintelligible) not just to come and spend a nice hour in a meeting with ICANN.

Joan Kerr: Right, so I have those written down so that's great. Thanks for clarifying. All right, much more than - that'll be great for us to have that role anyway.

So, Maryam could you put the agenda up a little bit please. Okay so, the two things I wanted to point out for the meetings in Puerto Rico -- we already talked about the joint events -- we had an Outreach Meeting that was a separate meeting for NPOC but I think that what I suggested is that we have it as a planning meeting for the charter through the Web site and the Wiki content because there's not much time otherwise so I just took that arbitrarily and I hope that was okay because we were having the Outreach Meeting with NCUC anyway. And it will be just a repeat of whatever we did.

So, is everybody okay with that? I think what I understood from the last meeting is that we didn't want to have two -- another event. So that has been changed to a planning event that is on the 10.

Raoul Plommer: Sounds good.

Joan Kerr: Yes, great. Well that's the gist of what I got from the last meeting. And then we have 10:30 the same day. We're doing a joint event round table with NCUC and that has gone very well. We've really worked well together and I'm really happy to be having a collaborative relationship. And then we have the EC Meeting the next day -- which is the 11 -- and Constituency day. Now I'm not quite sure why we have - our EC Meeting is a closed event I guess and then our Constituency day meeting.

So, anybody that has any idea of a speaker or someone that we should invite? Martin has agreed to give us a presentation on the GNSO. We'll obviously talk about our strategy for the rebranding the charter but if anybody thinks that there is something that we should be looking at, please let me know because I'm going to do that agenda and send it by Monday so that we have that. So please let us know.

Any questions regarding - and travel accommodations, all of that is cool with everyone? Yes.

Olevie Kouami: (Unintelligible) back again.

Joan Kerr: Sorry Olevie, what was that? Oh, he wasn't talking to us. Okay so the next one the number three - if there are no questions, objections or comments. Number three, Election - this is a biggy so is the election usually happen in

June so we've changed it in our new charter but the old charter has a significant day that we have to adhere to. Who would like to take hold of this and do the election?

Gangadhar Panday: Hello.

Joan Kerr: Hello?

Gangadhar Panday: (Gangadhar) (unintelligible).

Joan Kerr: Hi.

Gangadhar Panday: I would like to take on the election issue.

Joan Kerr: Okay, so do you understand what to do? Because it's very important that the days are adhered to. That's the thing.

Gangadhar Panday: Yeah, that we have to stick to the world charter, for it is now available on record.

Joan Kerr: Yes.

Gangadhar Panday: And that's what it is to our time (unintelligible) and what is the requirement for the election process that we are to (unintelligible). Or is that too hard to understand? Is that right?

Joan Kerr: Yeah. See, it needs someone that's a little bit more - see the - Ganga, maybe you can help with it? But...

Gangadhar Panday: Yeah, so what we'll do is (unintelligible).

Joan Kerr: Okay, so because this is going to be - this is - you know, this is a new NPOC, right? So we're trying to rebrand it. So we want to make sure that everything - do you know what? Maybe I should lead it up, and you can assist with me. How's that?

Gangadhar Panday: (Unintelligible).

Joan Kerr: Because I've done it, I think, three years in a row.

Gangadhar Panday: Yeah, yeah.

Joan Kerr: And but this is particularly - I think this is particularly important, because we want to be offering the new NPOC, right? We - so the messaging is not - it's not the same old thing. We want to be...

((Crosstalk))

Joan Kerr: competition also. Okay, so I will put you down as...

Gangadhar Panday: (Unintelligible) you can put there? (John) will be doing that and (unintelligible).

Joan Kerr: Well actually it will end up being the committee. So - but I will ask you to do things. So, Ganga, if you help me, you have to follow through with the - what's required. That's the thing. So I just want to point that out, okay?

Gangadhar Panday: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Yeah.

((Crosstalk))

Gangadhar Panday: ...June?

Joan Kerr: Yeah, so it's - so read it and make sure that you understand it to help. But I will lead it up, if that's okay with everyone.

Gangadhar Panday: Yes, yes. Yes. Yeah, yeah. I'll do that. I will read the old charter (unintelligible) related to elections, I will just go through it and understand and keep - make note of the dates and time where it's - and other issues.

Joan Kerr: Okay. All right. All right. So let's go to the - our activities. And this is the part that I really want to focus on as we go forward, is our work, because I think it's tremendous work, and we're not sharing that. And so really want to work with Juan and Raoul to start to put our work on the Web sites, so that people see that we're not just meeting, and that we've done substantial work and, you know, they can be proud of us to represent them.

So I did get Poncelet's report, but I'll talk about mine. I kind of covered it in the action items. I did follow through with what I was asked to do. Let me go to my - I have too many things I have to do here. But anyway, I think that I followed through with all the things so far.

But if there are any questions regarding my report that I can answer - the one thing I wanted to ask, which I did not do according to Poncelet's report, was to submit the comments. And so it was my misunderstanding that I had to do that. So I thought it was Poncelet, but it made sense.

So, Poncelet, really apologize about that. And I will endeavor to do that when the comments have been submitted. So my apologies for your work, and not

having followed through. It certainly wasn't intentional. But now that I know, I will do it.

So any questions - did anybody read my report? I know I only sent it yesterday, but the two things that I see - so I talked about the not submitting the comments. I really apologize about that.

The other thing is the - our finances. So that money has not been paid. And I don't know if everybody remembered, a few meetings ago we said that our benchmark was the intersessional.

So if Maryam or Sam first could just give us a synopsis on what the communication has been - now I'm just going to ask the question. I thought the last communication we had with (Rudi), it was on our side because the wrong bank account number was - there was a number that was incorrect. That, I thought, was the last communication. So, Sam, if you could speak to us please, go ahead.

Sam Lanfranco: Yes. The initial swift numbers and transit numbers that the bank gave had one minor error. So we corrected those and that was sent to (Rudi) about a year ago.

The only update I can give you (unintelligible) based on the last 12 hours, because it's later in the day in Europe, is that attempts to reach (Rudi) by email have also no responses, none whatsoever. And so we are opening up a discussion - a discussion will be opened up with the ombudsperson's office, and some legal counsel is doing some pro bono looking at this to figure out what can be done.



It might be a good idea - I will look through my various email addresses. He also has a Skype account which some of you may still be linked to. It might be worth bugging him a bit to find out what happened, because at the point at which the funds should have transferred over, there was more than enough to pay the bail over to me.

Originally a decision to finance the - NPOC to finance the event in Hyderabad was based on the - in part on the fact that NPOC did have the money in its bank accounts to pay for it. That was the bad part.

I just sent an email out in response to Raoul's comments in saying, yes, the \$600 that ICANN has agreed to cover, partly I may have been remiss there. They want a more formal invoice from me, which I'm just putting together and will forward to Jean-Jacques Sahel, since it was his office that initially said yes, they would contribute \$600.

What happened in both cases, for those of you who are new to this, is that by the time of the meeting in Hyderabad, neither the money from the NPOC account had not been delivered to (Ennorman), the private company's bank account that was providing banking - financial services to the Digital Empowerment Foundation that was organized...

((Crosstalk))

Sam Lanfranco: That money had not been transferred. And the ICANN money had not been transferred. But they needed the money because they had immediate expenses.

So I was asked if I would advance the money, so I brought enough money to do that. I was about \$20 short at the end, but could pay for the \$600. I could

pay in rupees. So, you know, I covered the two bills, and I am hopefully going to be reimbursed.

But where it stands with (Rudi) now is that they're trying to rouse him to get a response. Any questions?

Raoul Plommer: So did I get this right? Raoul Plommer for the record. Did I get this right? So now we'd pursue ICANN for the \$600, and (Rudi) for whatever money he owed NPOC? Is that correct?

Sam Lanfranco: That's correct. And I will pursue ICANN. The NPOC executive doesn't have to worry about that. That's just - we haven't settled that up, and it's partly been me distracted by other things. If I run into a problem there, I'll come back. But there should be no problem there.

The problem is (Rudi)'s failure to transfer the balance of the NPOC bank account from Belgium to the new NPOC bank account in Canada.

Raoul Plommer: Sounds good.

Gangadhar Panday: Hello, Sam. This is (unintelligible).

Sam Lanfranco: Yes.

Gangadhar Panday: (Unintelligible) from New Delhi is (unintelligible)?

Sam Lanfranco: All right. No, they were paid on the day of the event. (Unintelligible) paid the big money, the \$2000 I paid them a couple of days before the event. And the day of the event I paid the \$600 that ICANN owed them that had not been able to handle through its financial processes yet. So...

((Crosstalk))

Sam Lanfranco: So they have been happy since February 3 - I mean, November 3 of two years ago. They're happy.

Gangadhar Panday: Okay, so we need not correspond anything with them now. That is...

Sam Lanfranco: No, the worst that would happen is that I can't find a receipt, and I ask them for a copy. But no, everything is okay in India.

Gangadhar Panday: Yeah, yeah. Okay. Okay, that's good.

Sam Lanfranco: Please don't tell (Morty) to chase me.

Gangadhar Panday: Because the guy (unintelligible) in charge there from the...

Sam Lanfranco: Right.

Gangadhar Panday: (Unintelligible).

Sam Lanfranco: It does not matter, yeah.

Gangadhar Panday: If anything to be done with (unintelligible), I will pursue that (unintelligible).

Sam Lanfranco: Yeah. Thank you, thank you. And I expect (unintelligible) that nothing will be required.

Gangadhar Panday: Okay, thanks for the input.

Sam Lanfranco: Back to you, Joan.

Joan Kerr: Hi. Maryam, you also tried to get...

Poncelet Ileleji: (Unintelligible) speaking. Can I make a comment?

Joan Kerr: Yes, go ahead, Poncelet.

Poncelet Ileleji: Okay, I'm just a little bit - and maybe I might be wrong. Does it have to be (unintelligible)? Because this thing, I think it should be (unintelligible) back and forth, back and forth. So (unintelligible) advise us how to go about it, because I think we should just leave it with ICANN to deal, because (unintelligible) taking too, too long.

Because when we have been trying to deal with people, have been trying to be polite and doing it okay on - I know your basics, but it doesn't work. So I think we should just allow ICANN to deal with it, how do we deal with it in an official session. That's my take.

Joan Kerr: Right. So that's what we're talking about, what's the action. So yeah, let us wait a bit. Yeah, I agree. I honestly don't know if it's ICANN's issue. It's an NPOC issue, to be honest. So what I would like to suggest is...

Poncelet Ileleji: Okay (unintelligible) of ICANN.

Joan Kerr: Yeah. So, Maryam, I see that you said that you will call (Rudi)...

Poncelet Ileleji: (Unintelligible) sorry to cause (unintelligible) standing alone. We are not (unintelligible) standing alone. NPOC is the (unintelligible) of ICANN.

Joan Kerr: Okay, Sam, go ahead.

Poncelet Ileleji: So it can't be an NOPC issue...

Sam Lanfranco: Sam here, for the record. I agree with Poncelet. And I think what we can do now is just wait a little bit because we are consulting initially with the ombudsperson's office...

Joan Kerr: Yeah.

Sam Lanfranco: ...and just about immediately. And you'll have an assessment of what the next moves might be.

The only one I would support is Maryam trying to call (Rudi) to see - just inquiring on behalf of both ICANN and NPOC to see where things stand. I think that's an appropriate short-term thing. The rest we need to wait a little bit while we get more information.

Joan Kerr: So you will call him? Is that what you're - or...

Sam Lanfranco: No, I'm suggesting that the only person who should call him directly now is Maryam on behalf of NPOC.

Joan Kerr: All right.

Sam Lanfranco: And I will wait until we get some feedback from both legal and the ombudsperson's office before I advise...

Joan Kerr: (Unintelligible)?

Sam Lanfranco: No, no. Those - the standard physically trying to reach (Rudi) yesterday...

Joan Kerr: No, no. I mean the ombudsman and legal.

Sam Lanfranco: No, the ombudsman is going to be approached today or tomorrow. I'm not sure. The initial approach is not through me.

Joan Kerr: Okay, so who will do that?

Sam Lanfranco: Well just wait. I will report back. I have (unintelligible) people outside our circle who are trusted and confidential in dealing with this (unintelligible).

Joan Kerr: Oh, I see. Okay, so then you'll let us know. Okay, I just wanted to know that it's, you know, clear who's going to do it. Okay, great. So the actions...

Sam Lanfranco: I will keep the executive committee fully informed, and fully informed so that no wires get crossed.

Joan Kerr: Right. Okay, great. Thank you. All right, so then back to the chair report. So we have those actions. Maryam's going to call (Rudi), and Sam will report back to us what has transpired through the various means that he's doing, right? That's the gist of it? Okay, so good.

The next thing that was on - these are committee members' actions. Raoul, you weren't able to integrate the (unintelligible) to the NPOC Web site. Am I correct?

Raoul Plommer: Yes, we'd need Zapier to do it properly, so that we'd actually see all the cards on our side like embedded.

Joan Kerr: Okay.

Raoul Plommer: And Zapier costs a little bit. So and we also have, for our Web site, we also have to pay for the hosting, both for the last year that I paid for, and the coming year. And the coming year is going to be more expensive because that was the deal basically. Like, I mean, we can change the host as well. But it's about 55 euros, so I think since we got something like, I don't know, 7000 or 9000 just for the Web site, I think that we can just pay it.

Joan Kerr: Right, so I mean, I can pay it and then get reimbursed if it's an issue. So here's what I'm going to suggest, Raoul. I would really like to talk - in addition to the charter, the planning meeting, maybe things like what you've just said, what we have to address for the Web site, unless the Web site needs to be paid for, the hosting paid for immediately, other than...

Raoul Plommer: No, it's not that urgent. It's like in the next month.

Joan Kerr: Okay, so then we put all the items down so that we can then focus on the Web site. How's that? Including getting a contractor to work on it.

Raoul Plommer: Yes, and I'll try and see like what's the kind of professional plug-ins and things we can use for the Web site that ICANN would be paying for. I mean, at the moment we're hardly using any of that, but 9000 budget.

Joan Kerr: Right. All right, great. Okay, so next one, Poncelet, did you have anything to say about the policy committee or any advice? Do you have any comments that we should be reviewing?

So we should always have a - if I - before you speak, what I would like to see is maybe drafted comments that's included in the agenda, so we could be reviewing it and saying to you, yes, or change this, or whatever, and then submit it. That's what I would like to see if that's possible, if there are any comments to be made. But anyway, go ahead if you have something to say about your policy report.

Poncelet Ileleji: (Unintelligible) directly on the NCSG, which I've been commenting. And like the Comment 1, I am working on the (unintelligible) NCSG comments for draft procedures.

(Unintelligible) NPOC that we have to respond, specific to NPOC, that the (unintelligible) which I completed and (unintelligible) seriously (unintelligible) as Raoul suggested (unintelligible) Google Docs.

And I shared it on Google Docs and (unintelligible) now I'm waiting for, and comments are to finalize, and you send it up, because I felt when you had a good number (unintelligible) intersessional and (unintelligible) looked at it and said, okay, (unintelligible) add this and then it is finalized.

Joan Kerr: Right. So can I...

Poncelet Ileleji: (Unintelligible) more than two weeks now that I don't - that I'm not seeing - nothing has come up from this.

Joan Kerr: Right. Okay, so might I ask if you could just resend the link and that everyone goes to it and comment on it, and then we can submit it if everybody is in agreement? And before it's sent out, I will put it up via email or Skype, saying this is what we're going to submit, and then everybody can agree. How's that? Yes? So could you please resend it, Poncelet, if you don't mind?



Poncelet Ileleji: I will - what I will do for ease, I think people check the Skype more than the email. I will just copy and paste the link on the Skype.

Joan Kerr: Okay.

Poncelet Ileleji: Is that okay?

Joan Kerr: That's okay.

Poncelet Ileleji: Or I will forward it...

Joan Kerr: Yeah, okay. Thank you. Okay, I think I covered everything from my report. And anyone that - well I did work with Juan for the - a number of promotional items. We did do that. Any report on membership? How many members do we have? Ganga, you didn't submit a report, but if you could do that in the future, that would be great. But do we have any increase in membership since the intersessional?

Gangadhar Panday: Yes. There are a couple of applications that we need to go through (unintelligible). Hello?

Joan Kerr: Hello. Go ahead. Sorry, if you could speak up...

Gangadhar Panday: Yeah, some applications we need to go through and (unintelligible) gone through them and most of - letter are in place. I approved all of them. But I need to send a reference to all of you about those new applications.

Joan Kerr: Yes. So if you could work on your membership, you know, every month, and have something like - well you've got the template. But, you know, here are

the new members, and maybe we can have a link to their Web site and so we can put that on the Web site, so that there is some recognition of our members. So I'll expect that for next meeting, okay?

Gangadhar Panday: Yeah, okay.

Joan Kerr: Okay, great. Okay. Okay, Olivier, monitoring Skype. Olivier? Is he still on? Doesn't look like he's still on. But it is not - for the record, there has been no update on Skype since we were in Abu Dhabi. So, Olivier? Do you have anything to say about the updates? He's on the phone. Maybe he's on mute. If you are speaking, you may be on mute but go ahead. Okay. Well, Olivier, I really, really have to say I'm very disappointed that the Skype actions have not been done because it's a relatively easy job once the template was created. So could you please at least, so that keeping track of our conversations and actions is very important for us to get things done. And it's been six months without any updates at all.

So if you could do that. I've gone through and made sure that we are -- any conversations so that we're addressing them, but that's something that I thought you would be doing. So anyway, let's move ahead. We've got the financial report done. Any other comments regarding our activities or anything that we should be focused on in terms of one of the things that I have to say that I have to do is, according to responsibility, is work more on the board and NCSG as a whole. So I will endeavor to do that. So one thing at a time anyway.

Okay. Anything else? Activities.

Gangadhar Panday: I just need some -- this is about the intersessional report. I need to (unintelligible) the two days (unintelligible) and forecasting all (unintelligible)

intersessional, the discussions and what they are (unintelligible) the (unintelligible) reported about.

Joan Kerr: We talked about that already so we'll be expecting that next week.

Gangadhar Panday: Okay.

Joan Kerr: Okay. Maryam, could you just bring the agenda up a bit please? Thank you. Okay. So we've talked about the policy statements already and Poncelet is going to send us the links. Anyone in any working groups or any representation at all that they'd like to talk about or any ones that we should be considering putting our resources, limited resources in? I want to say congratulations to Sam. He's agreed to be on the finance committee, representing NPOC, which is fantastic. Thank you, Sam. Anyone else?

I'm probably going to look -- Sam, go ahead.

Sam Lanfranco: Thank you. Sam, for the record. The NPOC finance committee has been just a little bit less active than the NPOC finance committee -- I mean the NCSG. The NCSG finance committee has no money, has no (unintelligible) other than a (unintelligible) and (Ed Morris) is trying to organize this last year. It's with a blank slate and so any advice that you have. I've asked NCSG itself to figure out what the mandate and what the agenda should be for that finance committee.

The only thing that they said we won't do is go out and find money. That's not the finance committee's responsibility. But what it is, is yet to be determined. There's extensive literature about what it is, how it's composed, and so forth in the NCSG charter. But that has little bearing on the reality of the committee over the past decade. And that's all I have to say there. Any questions?

Joan Kerr: Okay, great. We're talking about the NCSG finance committee, by the way.

Sam Lanfranco: That's what I mean, the NCSG finance committee.

Joan Kerr: Right, okay.

Sam Lanfranco: It has no history.

Joan Kerr: Right.

Sam Lanfranco: It has the same balances as the NPOC one.

Joan Kerr: Oh, dear. This is not the kind of comparisons we need. But at least we're in line.

Sam Lanfranco: We've been brought up to date.

Joan Kerr: Okay, great. Thanks. Any other working group representations? No.

Poncelet Ileleji: Yes. Presently, the working groups are involved in the INGO. Of course, the new GTLDs (unintelligible) going on fine there and if you notice that within the standing committee, we just elected what we call -- we just elected a representative (unintelligible) which I'm (unintelligible) as part of the (unintelligible) Renata and Rafik. And right now, we are also going to review the standing (unintelligible) charter to (unintelligible) the admission of the (unintelligible).

We are going to process those (unintelligible) that round that we've been (unintelligible) but that's what I'm working on and apart from the draft I've

just completed on public (unintelligible) for community GTLDs, which I would (unintelligible) have people in the NCSG to publish some (unintelligible) comments. But at this time, (unintelligible) thank you.

Joan Kerr: Great. Thank you. Okay. Any questions, comments, nothing? Okay, business arising. Okay. So I think I talked a little bit about really showcasing what we've done and I think having the new websites, but we can start now actually posting it to the website. But I think this is where we need to be.

There's two things go forward that I see that needs to happen is the marketing or promotion and the increased comments. Those are the two main activities for the next -- what I call the next period. So statements by which working group that align with the four issues that we have identified because those are the ones that we should be participating in because those are operational concerns. We can't just arbitrarily go to a working group. I mean we can our own, but we need to really be having a pulse on those issues.

We did have a couple of people that agreed to work with us from the (unintelligible) somebody's phone is on.

Maryam Bakoshi: Joan, I'm guessing -- I've just asked (unintelligible) to mute Olivier's line or ask him to mute it. Thank you.

Joan Kerr: Okay, great. So (Angelie) from Fiji had applied for membership but she applied through her work and she was denied. So she -- her and I had a great discussion about this. I suggested to her that she should be applying through her -- to represent ISOC from Fiji. So she's doing that. I'm not sure if she's submitted it, but that's what she's doing at the moment.

She is also bringing on someone that is an expert in cyber security as an alternative to help us as well and she really wants to become involved in NPOC. So we've got those two people. Destiny, we've got to find a place for him. Again, these are for the policy and working group.

So those are the things that I see as our next focus. Anything else that you think is of major importance that we have to focus on anyone other than what we've talked about?

Poncelet Ileleji: Yes, I just want to emphasize that this consultation that are shared now (unintelligible) with you all on the community (unintelligible) fellowship program, I think it's very important for everybody to go to what I've written. Because as you can see, those of you who are on the ICANN Facebook and (unintelligible) and ICANN Facebook and posts, you will notice that a lot of (unintelligible) happens talking about people who are coming into scrap the fellowship program. I don't think that's the case. I just thought it was necessary for ICANN to get from stakeholders what exactly has been considered from the (unintelligible) fellowship side.

There's a lot of point going about it now. So I think it's important for NPOC to read the comments. All the personnel, we have not -- I have not seen any -- I (unintelligible) when the fellowships some time ago but are not releasing any (unintelligible) from the fellowship into ICANN because (unintelligible) NPOC who are the fellow (unintelligible) going to (unintelligible). Because as you know, most of the fellows, a lot of them come from government, a lot of them come from academics.

So maybe it's something we're going to have to push to see that we have (unintelligible) space (unintelligible) in a different format. But we also have civil societies should be represented in the fellowship (unintelligible) as

(unintelligible) from Fiji now, for example, you mentioned, the Internet Society. All those other people, people that want to (unintelligible) and some of them (unintelligible) the opportunity to travel (unintelligible) where we can get some people that represent NGOs to attend this meeting is truly fellowship.

And over the years, I've tried to go to all the fellowships and it seems NPOC existence (unintelligible) I know for certain that they are being very, very few people that are on the civil society and are being (unintelligible) and especially in NPOC.

The other (unintelligible) from academic. I think NCUC have been (unintelligible) fellowship program and that's why we're not (unintelligible) NCSG members who are come for the fellowship program, but (unintelligible) we have would have -- something would have to try to put (unintelligible) on that. I don't know what I would do (unintelligible).

Joan Kerr: We definitely thank you, Poncelet. We certainly haven't benefited from that program at all and I guess some input into that would be good as well. Now, I did some analysis of the fellowship program and it's interesting to note -- I'm not a fan of some of the programs that were developed, the out boarding, onboarding, the fellowship was sort of dumped on us as you come on board or else, which I dislike that whole approach. And now, it's coming back to haunt us.

We have to deal with it but the fellowship, it's really interesting that how many people got sponsored two to four times, the same person, and how is that possible that the same people were getting sponsored and where are they. The numbers are so small and certainly, NPOC did not benefit -- now that's partly our fault I think. But I agree with you, Poncelet, we really do have to

make sure that civil society is represented and NPOC benefits from that program, whatever the existing -- how it will end up being.

So yes, I agree. Okay. Anything else, anyone? No hands up. One other issue I'd like to either answer or result about fellowship -- yes, okay. Sure, thanks (unintelligible). One thing I wanted to point out is there were two questions -- one was in the intersessional and one was on the NCSG. It doesn't matter what it is but what I want to point out is that we need to, as a constituency, know what ICANN does or doesn't do.

So there was a question around policing and internet connectivity and so the community responded and they were both NPOC members. That's not what ICANN does. I think we need to understand what ICANN does. So I'm going to encourage everyone to read the ICANN remits. Sam has always said this. We need to make sure that we understand the very focused remit that ICANN has.

So if I could ask that please understand what ICANN does and the same as me. But asking the question...

Poncelet Ileleji: Hello?

Joan Kerr: Hello? Hello?

Poncelet Ileleji: Yes, this is Poncelet.

Joan Kerr: Go ahead.

Poncelet Ileleji: Yes, it's Poncelet.



Joan Kerr: Hi, Poncelet. Go ahead.

Poncelet Ileleji: I just wanted to ask to understand what ICANN does. I think right from the onset, I remember back in the day when we had NPOC started, (unintelligible) then what if you wanted (unintelligible) new members and what we would share the members (unintelligible) working with the chair. Just send me a brief about what ICANN does and a brief about what NPOC does. Because it's important because like what (unintelligible) at the intersessional is very (unintelligible). It is in-house collectively. I'm not going to (unintelligible) and members (unintelligible) and you deal with members. The best thing to do is maybe if you want to make the webinar about non-ICANN or getting information about ICANN so that (unintelligible) in case itself better about (unintelligible) or you're asking for (unintelligible). And check what they do, like when I (unintelligible) what would (unintelligible), what exactly were you doing. And what I'd like to know (unintelligible) about these things based on my (unintelligible) with internet governance.

So it's really very important. I think I wasn't there but I pulled suggestions like intersessional, but I think it shouldn't be coming from (unintelligible) back to (unintelligible) know what ICANN does. And for us, civil society people read a lot. So I'm surprised that that happened but to make it not happen again, maybe (unintelligible) membership chair, Joan, we should have (unintelligible) ICANN from new NPOC members.

Joan Kerr: Yes, I agree. It needs to be something that we -- everyone understands. And one of the things that we've addressed in terms of that is the beginner's guide with the booklet, what does ICANN do, what does NPOC. And I just wanted to point that out that we need to have a clear understanding so that when we're speaking that we're not misstepping at all. So just wanted to point that out.

Okay. That's all I have to say. Does anyone have anything to say or comments, or we are wrapping up quite early. So that's fantastic. Any comments?

Poncelet Ileleji: I'd like to add who are all those (unintelligible) sorry, Raoul, talk. I will wait.

Joan Kerr: I did not get that question.

Raoul Plommer: I just wanted to remind everyone who were in the intersessional in LA that we all got a section of the charter for us to check so that section that person of the Ex-Com was allocated, we should check that it has everything that was in the old charter. If it doesn't, we need to discuss that next week in our charter meeting. And when we should have that meeting? Would Wednesday be good again at this time?

Joan Kerr: It would be good for me. Is that good for everyone? This is for a charter meeting. Wednesday is good. Okay, no objections.

Poncelet Ileleji: Sorry, Raoul, which Wednesday? No, sorry, please, I want to know which Wednesday, Raoul. Poncelet speaking.

Raoul Plommer: Next Wednesday. So that's the 28th of February.

Poncelet Ileleji: Okay. The same time, 1:00 p.m.?

Raoul Plommer: Yes, that's good so that everybody knows the time.

Joan Kerr: Yes.

Raoul Plommer: Okay. Thank you.

Joan Kerr: And Maryam, you'll send out an invite please? Great. No objections.  
Everyone is on board. Any other comments?

Poncelet Ileleji: Yes, Poncelet speaking.

Joan Kerr: Clarify, quickly, Raoul, do you want us to look through it before that meeting, right?

Raoul Plommer: Yes.

Joan Kerr: Okay. I'll go through my section again. Any other comments? Okay, well, Maryam, I'd like to call this meeting to a close.

Poncelet Ileleji: Yes, please. I'm sorry, it's Poncelet.

Joan Kerr: Go ahead.

Poncelet Ileleji: I just wanted to find out who are all the (unintelligible) to Puerto Rico and whether you have started a new (unintelligible) South Africa was whether plans, I know there was plans to work with NCUC for an outreach in Puerto Rico, whether you have (unintelligible) plans for that. I'm just checking. I don't know whether (unintelligible) need to check but I thought I should check, I should ask.

Joan Kerr: Sure. We talked about that earlier, but I think you were down when we were talking about it. So it's myself, Raoul, and Juan for NPOC and Ganga representing NCSG or being sponsored by NCSG. So the four of us are going. We have the outreach with NCUC, a constituency meeting, an Ex-

Com meeting, and a planning session. So in addition to attending the policy meetings. Is that what you were asking?

Poncelet Ileleji: Yes, good enough. Yes. Thank you.

Joan Kerr: All right. Okay, so Raoul has done some instructions for the charter meeting. Raoul, if I could suggest to send that in an email to the people who are responsible for those, for those who were -- like Martin is not on the call and to send that out as an email with the link to both versions to everyone if that's okay.

Okay.

Raoul Plommer: Okay.

Joan Kerr: Okay, great. All right, so our next meeting will be in Puerto Rico and hopefully, everyone will be able to join us that's not there like you, Poncelet, and Sam, and so if nothing else, and Maryam won't be there. So I think that's it then, guys. Laugh out loud. So I'd like to call this meeting to a close then.

Maryam Bakoshi: Thank you very much everyone for attending the call. Thank you, Joan, for chairing the call. Please you may stop the recording and disconnect all lines. Thank you very much.

END