

---

GISELLA GRUBER: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the NARALO monthly call on Monday 9th April at 19:00 UTC. On today's call we have Dustin Philips, Glenn McKnight, Greg Shatan, Howard Deane, Javier Rua-Jovet, Judith Hellerstein, Karen Mulberry, Kristan Doan, Loris Taylor, Susannah Gray. From staff we have Heidi [inaudible], Claudio Ruiz, Andrea Glanden, Chis Mondini, [inaudible], and Silvia Vivanco. If I can please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Just as a reminder this is our first call on WebEx with NARALO, please do be patient with us as we find our feet around the new platform and now I will hand it over to Glenn, thank you very much.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you, and perhaps you mentioned [inaudible] welcome Melissa. Everybody, this is going to be a bit of a challenge today, because there's a couple of glitches here. You may see in the centre panel it says the atlarge FY19 and it's additional budget. If you don't have it, that's good. If you have it, that is not our agenda today. Our agenda and I will paste it, actually that is another issue, I don't have something to paste to all participants, so please look at your email and that's one other bug that we have. I can't give you the links to the agenda, so please pull up your email, look at the agenda that was sent around to you, the same link as the call in today. Welcome everyone to the call and I see a couple other people have joined the call as well. Welcome John More and we also have two new faces, Greg Shatan is now on the board of the ISOC New York, welcome Greg. He's also an active member in the working group

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

on accessibility, and we also have Christian Done, which you all know, she did the last presentation and she will be doing other presentations in the future. One other person I am expecting to be on the call today is Tom. Tom is going to do a short presentation on gTLDs. Welcome everyone. If we can turn to the agenda, what we have is the first item that was created for today's call today is an update from our atlarge members, John, Javier, and Alan. Please guys, go ahead and give us an update.

JAVIER RUA-JOVET:

OK, this is Javier. I am starting this? Do you want me to speak on... I think you mentioned that [inaudible] speaking about the work track 5 of the subset [inaudible] procedures briefly? Or do you want me to speak on general ALAC follow through statements?

UNKNOWN SPEAKER:

Yes, just bring everybody up to speed. What's outstanding? What do we need from our community? As you know we have a history of doing great policies, but we're starting to drop the ball a little bit on that. The whole purpose of Eduardo putting you on the spot here is to inform the community on what policy issues are hot, what we're looking for in terms of community feedback. If you can direct us and please go ahead.

JAVIER RUA-JOVET:

Sure. This is Javier Rua-Jovet for the record, [inaudible]. I think one interesting thing I can [inaudible] I am co-lead in work track 5 of subsequent procedures PDP, the GNSO PDP that has co-leads from

---

different communities including ALAC. As you know, work track 5 is deals with the record names and [inaudible] is an active participant in that work track. What is that? We had a meeting in San Juan, the first face-to-face meeting of this work track 5. There's 4 other work tracks that are pretty advanced, work track 5 is kind of starting out and it has a relatively aggressive agenda, so in March we began discussions. March 2018 we began discussing the future treatment of geo names in the applicant guidebook, the 2012 applicant guidebook for gTLDs. Really in May 2018, we started discussing future treatments of terms not included also in the guidebook. What now? We're really pretty soon going to come out with a draft initial report and the geographic names are a concept that is not clearly defined, some things are clear, we all know that two character country codes are geographic names that have a specific status in the guidebook. They're just ccTLDs that are also a ccNSO. Then we have three character codes on the ICO 3166 country codes that is currently an issue whether or not they are ccTLDs, gTLDs, or something else. That's a discussion right now.

Other geographic names that are under discussion are long and short country territory names, which are the short and long versions. Let's say the United States or it's USA is short versus the United States of America which is a long form name. We're discussing the future treatment of all these concepts, other concepts that are within this scope of discussion beside ISO 3166, 3 letter codes and long and short [inaudible], what they call permutations of these geographic names. One example is useful is instead of Czech Republic, maybe a term Republic Czech, is [inaudible] that meets a specific status that it is different than the current status in the guidebook. Different or the same, that is a

discussion. [inaudible], other geographic names like portions of a name, so lets say something like, instead of a transmutation, using the Czech Republic example of the word Czech in Czech Republic, how would that be treated. Also the names by which countries are normally known, or a consensus that they're known as a name. Like for example, Netherlands, it is sometimes referred to as Holland in some countries, or other countries like that.

We're tackling the discussion of this. It's a really hot topic, as you know this brainstorm is really heartfelt, passionate sentiments from different communities, from the one side you have the communities like the GAC and the countries there and the people of the ccTLDs, they have very strong opinions on in many ways, don't touch this too much, don't mess with this too much. Whereas you have other communities with more liberal viewpoints, GNSO people and other people, maybe ALAC people, ALAC is very mixed, we have some interesting ALAC atlarge people in there like Greg, [inaudible] raised some good points. Very varied opinions from At-large. I think we could use more, I urge you to. It's the perfect time to try to get into this, go into the work track 5. You can find it and I can send an email out maybe, but all you have to do is put in your statement of interest and get into the discussion, because it's really, we're in the middle of starting a discussion that is going to have an outcome which will definitely be interesting. I don't know what it is going to be, but it has to do with what some people on one side might consider sovereign concerns and people on the other side might simply consider names, period.

People consider these names period are most of them are simply gTLDs to be out there for delegation, where people on the sovereign side of

---

---

the discussion feel that they should not be out there. They should be especially protected in some ways, or at best reserved for the pertinent sovereign authorities and countries, and territories that have ISO [inaudible]. We have been meeting face-to-face in San Juan, we've had two calls already that have been very good. I urge you to go into the GNSO PDP work track 5 [inaudible]. You will see the schedule there for the next calls, I think it's going to be, this is a very demanding and concentrated process in the sense that the schedule is very tight. My job there as At-large and ALAC co-lead is less so, not really being an active participant in the sense of that concept. It is more as an enabler of people and discussions. You know that I'm here, some of you knew that, some of you didn't.

You can clearly ask me offline or right now, any questions that you think I can help you out with. I am not really very good with giving you links right now of the call, I can look them up, but the discussion is starting right now. It is a great time to get involved and I urge you to, use me. I will leave it there.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER:

Thank you Javier. I noticed that Alan has joined as well. I just want to bring Alan up to speed. It is item number one on the agenda, the agenda is not showing up Alan. Unfortunately, the center panel has another item on it, the budget. What we are talking about is just a quick update to the community on ALAC and what policy issues and what policy issues you're looking for from community feedback. Is there any burning issue that you're calling to the community to get some feedback on Alan, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG:

We've had an amazing couple of weeks, in that we've submitted very substantive statements on the GDPR implementation, the privacy and WHOIS, on the fellowship, on the KSK rollover. The one that is coming up right now that we're looking for input on, pretty quickly, is there has been a proposal by the IPC, the intellectual property constituency, and business constituency within the GNSO on a model for accreditation and authentication of who would be allowed to get access to WHOIS data that might be otherwise private in a new GDPR related implementation. That's just been posted yesterday on the Wiki. That's certainly one that we're looking for input from anyone who has knowledge and interest in that area. There is a rather critical comment that is ongoing on the replenishment of the ICANN financial reserve. Those are certainly two that are relevant right now. I think everyone should bookmark the policy page, the main ALAC policy page and keep an eye on what's there as things come up on an almost daily basis. Thank you. I should point out two little minor things, the report on CCWG-Accountability work stream 2 is open and we will be soon be having one on the work tracks 1-4 of the new gTLD subsequent procedures, so it is going to be a busy summer.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great, thank you Alan. It is Glenn McKnight for the transcript. Please state your name for the transcript Gisella has mentioned. Again I just want to reiterate, we're having some challenges here with the chat. I don't see the participants, I only see the panelists, so you're not seeing my chats probably. We'll do our best. I don't see your hands, any

---

---

questions for Alan or Javier on the policy activities? Maybe as an action item we can possibly send around all these deadlines, what the topics are and when the due dates, so perhaps staff we can summarize what the policy issues are and send it out to the lists as quickly as possible. Any questions and I do not see your hands so go ahead.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Glenn this is [inaudible], it is not a question, just to let you know that I through the phone, the meeting for the record. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: OK, thank you so much. Any questions from anyone before we go onto the next item? OK. I'd like to welcome Adrian to the call, Bill Jouris, William Cunningham, Evan Leibovitch has joined us as well, and Jennifer Cordero, Karen Mulberry. We have a very strong list today, we have roughly 33 participants today, great turnout. Thank you all for calling today in, and also Tom Lowenhaupt.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: There's also [inaudible] here.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you Judith. Allan Skuce, hey Allan thank you, I haven't heard from you in a long time. Welcome everybody and let's turn to Heidi. Heidi can you just walk us through the election timelines and that is harmonized with the other rails.

HEIDI:

Yes, thank you Glenn. Hi everyone, glad to see all of you on the call today. The ALAC and the region At-large organization leadership positions are all now [inaudible], and as discussed and agreed in Puerto Rico. Let me just go ahead and put the dates, I will go ahead and state the dates and we'll have a call with all this information, or an email with all this information out shortly. The announcement of the call for nominations and nominee statements will be launched on the 23rd April. The nomination period will be for 10 working days between 23rd April to the 4th May. Deadline for nomination acceptances will be the 11th May. The elections, if required, will be between 14th May and 18th May. Then those seated, those newly elected ALAC members and leaders will be elected or seated at the ALAC wrap up session during the 2018 annual general meeting in Barcelona. For NARALO, I will go ahead and tell you which positions are posted and all of these are available on the 2018 election page, and they have individual sites for each of the RALOs. Open positions for NARALO include NARALO chair, currently held by Eduardo, he is not term limited. NARALO secretariat, currently held by Glenn. Glenn is not term limited. The ALAC representative position currently held by Alan Greenberg, he is not term limited. Alan you might want to say a few words about that. Also the NARALO NomCom delegate, who is currently Leah and she is not term limited, she has one more year to go, if re-elected. OK. Glenn, thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. You singled out Alan to say something, Alan did you want to speak on that issue of the you are not term-limited? Go ahead Alan.

---



ALAN GREENBERG: Certainly it is Alan Greenberg. I am not term limited, I do not intend to run, however. That position is most definitely open. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you Alan.

HEIDI: Also Glenn, the other position that is also open is the ALAC NomCom selectee to the North America, which is Javier. His position is up and that will be announced. This time they say pretty early, after the ICANN 62 meeting in Panama.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: OK, great. Thank you. Let's just open it to the floor if anybody has any questions on the election? OK, going once, twice, three. Let's turn to the next item in the agenda, it's the selection of the 2018 individual member representation. Alan or Silvia, did you want to address this? Eduardo is not on the call.

ALAN GREENBERG: It's Alan, I'll take that. The position right now, if I can recap. Individual member collectively have a single vote functionally equivalent to an ALS, in terms of anytime there happens to be a vote, the vote is essentially a directed vote that is the representative votes as the individual members dictate. That typically means that we hold a

---

preliminary election among the individual members. The position of representative is not currently filled, because the person who did occupy it resigned partly through the year and we haven't had any votes. We are in the process of essentially refreshing the individual membership to make sure the people we have are still alive and active and interested in being involved. That will be done over the next week or so and we will then have a selection process for selecting the individual representative. That all should be happening in time to hold an election for the various positions if they should be necessary.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, any questions for Alan on the unaffiliated representative? I don't see any hands up, you'll have to just speak up.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: The only hand I see is for Glenn McKnight.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: That's an old one. I don't see anyone asking any questions, anyone [inaudible]. Thank you everybody. Let's move on to the topics. We have three trips remaining for this, this is our last kick of the can at crop. These three trips were part of our strategic plan, which was a requirement for this fiscal period. Erin, digital inclusion and rights con, William is going to be attending in Miami very soon. I'll just call out to William, did you want to say anything about Erin?

---

WILLIAM CUNNINGHAM: Hi, this is William Cunningham, can you hear me OK?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, go ahead.

WILLIAM CUNNINGHAM: Very good. I don't have a heck of a lot to say about that, other than as you well know, this is a little different from the New Orleans trip a year ago. In that it's a little more strategic. That's really about it, I am looking forward to helping out.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you William. I did send you some brochures and materials so you should be out fitted. I do believe Susannah is on the call and I think Erin did a caller from our diversification at Erin, and I am just wondering is Susannah can speak on that? They're doing a call. I know William you are very concerned about that across the internet ecosystem. Susannah are you on the call?

SUSANNAH GRAY: Yes this is Susannah for the record. Can you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, go ahead Susannah.

---

SUSANNAH GRAY:

I can't really say much about that but Erin has issued a consultation on expanding the number of board members. There's discussion on that right now on the mailing lists. If you're interested in that then I suggest you go and have a look at the mailing list and see what that's all about.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you. Let me talk to you guys. It's Glenn McKnight again for the record. It's on the digital inclusion, that's going to be in Cleveland next week. A lot of that work is on community networking and if people were to cross the United States and parts of Canada, in areas we are under served in NARALO. I will be giving a report back on the next meeting on what happened and how many potential ALSes I have from that excursion. I am going to turn to Judith who's on the line to talk about Rights Con and what's going to happen at Right's Con.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Hi, this is Judith Hellerstein for the record. I will be attending Rights Con. The at-large global indigenous ambassador program was selected as one of the panelists, we will be on the first day. So we will be presenting about the program and what we hope to achieve, what we have achieved, what we hope to continue to achieve, how we started, and more about our efforts in reaching out to the indigenous communities around the world. Then, we will have one of our ambassadors from last time, [inaudible] is going to be speaking. She's going to be working closely with Loris and Melissa on their presentation, and then we will also try, and I think Sarah Kiden, is going to be there sponsored by Mozilla and she's going also to be talking about the work we've been

---

doing so far in the different areas. I will then be outreaching, also with other potential ALSes. This group is a large potential of civil society people interested in many of the same issues that at-large is passionate about and who don't really know much about at-large. They know more about NCUC, because a lot of them are academics, but we hope to work out and reach out to these groups and tell them about at-large, what we do, what we hope to accomplish, and why they might be interested in joining and becoming either ALSes or individual members.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great, thank you Judith. Just a quick question, anyone else going to Rights Con besides myself and Judith? I will be going there as one of the volunteers. It's not too far from me, Evan you might be going as well, since you're based in Toronto? Anyone else going?

UNKNOWN SPEAKER:

[inaudible].

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

We can't hear that person, but Dustin posted on the chat that he's going to be there at least for the last day. That will be good as I am not going to be there on the last day.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

OK, perfect. I hope to see you all. Go ahead.

---

HEIDI: Hi Glenn, this is Heidi, sorry just hand up. This is fantastic that you are doing all of these trips and it seems like they're very strategically placed. I'm just asking that you please work with Evan and Mario from staff to make sure that all of your activities are posted on our social media, Twitter, Facebook. As well if you could just let us know and provide a short report, and we can just start documenting all of these activities, and some of the achievements it is going to be useful as we go forward towards the atlas and other events. Thank you so much.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you very much. I believe Evan was trying to say something as well.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I also want to say something too.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Go ahead Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Judith Hellerstein for the record. Heidi, I know that Chris Mondini and Joe may be there. My question to them, are they going to be having a table in the meeting area so that we can put out and display brochures about at-large or other ICANN areas, maybe they could answer that?

HEIDI: Chris, this is Heidi. Are you on the phone?

CHRIS MONDINI: Hi, I have entered in the chat. This is Chris Mondini that there is a booth and you're all welcome to bring materials for the booth. Adam [inaudible] and Joe [inaudible] will be onsite. Adam is responsible for the staffing of the booth, if anybody would like to volunteer.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you Chris, looking forward to it. I believe Evan was in the queue, but we couldn't hear him. Can you try again Evan. He's just typing here. Evan is saying that I'm speaking at the Creative Com summit this weekend. I believe Evan, you are speaking at 5:30 till a 6:15, I'll see you there. I'm there for the there days for the Creative Com summit as well. I actually just ran across your topic, I was at the training session on Saturday so I will see you at the event. OK. That takes care of the last events.

WILLIAM CUNNINGHAM: Bill Cunningham for the record, can I jump in here?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah go ahead.

WILLIAM CUNNINGHAM: Very good. Chris and Joe, I am glad you guys are on the call, at least Chris. I'd like to get some follow-up in terms of documenting activities with respect to outreach to African-American communities. Chris, you

---

---

and I had lunch about a year ago and I suggested that we put forward an effort to reach out to what are called HBCU, historically black colleges and universities, starting at Howard University in Washington DC. They're in DC, you're close by, it's a natural affinity there. Would like to get some feedback on that, also just gave a talk at Howard University to these students who were holding down the administration building and recommended that they joined ICANN. I also gave a talk in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. I think it's Millersburg University at the 50th anniversary of the black student union there and also suggested that the black student union in particular join ICANN. I'd like to get some metrics on whether or not these talks are having any impact in terms of registrations from both of those universities, in particular, but also have given talks at recently to underserved groups at University of Pennsylvania, and at [inaudible], and would also like to follow up with you all on it. I appreciate the outreach efforts and I am glad that there's a formal outreach effort for indigenous communities, but please recall that I think it was about 2 or 3 years ago when I started pounding the pavement out to reaching out to HBCUs and I think that was part of the input that led to the creation of the indigenous efforts among others, I am not claiming 100% effort for that. I do want to revisit this issue of specifically HBCUs, and I see you a thank you Chris and I'll be in touch.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you William, good points. Chris, did you want to respond to that, because he is looking for and giving suggestions on locations. I recall he brought this up over roughly a year ago to do outreach. It could be part of the North American Multi Stakeholder Working Groups as well. Chris did you want to address this?



CHRIS MONDINI: It's Chris. I think I'm delighted to get the follow up from William and hear his report of his efforts, so let's William, you and I, if you're in Washington or not, let's at least get on the phone or if you'd like to meet in person I would be delighted to do that too.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: OK, got that William. I am just waiting for confirmation. I think he's heard that, excellent. There are a number of people that are not on the call today, I don't see them on. I will call them out. Jonathan Zuck, are you there? You're up for 2 items in the agenda but I don't see you on the attendees list. The second is Leah, to talk about the NomCom. Again, Leah or Jonathan Zuck, are you there? I'll be shifting the agenda a little bit to pull in Tom Lowenhaupt to talk about the ccTLDs that he has asked to do a short presentation on that. Looks like they are not there, OK. Tom, are you there? I just want to check your audio.

TOM LOWENHAUPT: How do I sound, do you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. I just have to let you know Tom, I know you did some slides, you'll have to send the slides around on the list, in the Skype list, but you'll have to do this presentation without the slides so I guess it'll be a shorter presentation then. I'm going to turn it over to you Tom, and give an overview and then the floor is yours.

TOM LOWENHAUPT: The title I have is, ccTLDs update. It's a big picture and a little focus on .nyc. The big picture is that my involvement started in 2001 and I believe the first public interest TLD that was out there. That was something called [inaudible] and resolution. Let me ask you Glenn, how many minutes would you like me to limit this to? Glenn? I see at 3:37.

HEIDI: Hi, this is Heidi, yes we are. I am not sure why we are not hearing Glenn. Please continue and we will let you know when you've gone over.

TOM LOWENHAUPT: Give me a one-minute warning, or whatever. Today, what's happened since 2001 is that there are about 35-40 cities or geographic area that have a popular [inaudible] name. There's a nice slide which I will share with everyone that says Tokyo and London with the most, about 85,000 and New York City with about 71,000. These slides show the growth over the 3-year period at this point, and Tokyo shows a continuous growth, one that in fits and spurts is going up, and New York City is in slow decline [inaudible]. Then I had some slide talking about the distribution part of the process here in .nyc and how many of the names are being bought by speculators and for example, we have a famous theater club, the Apollo Theatre. If you go to [inaudible] auction site, you can buy that today for 10,000. You can buy pizza.nyc for 40,000. You can art.nyc for 25,000. Jazz.nyc is 20,000. This is total failure of the planning process both at New York City, more Broadway. Although, as we get to further in my presentation I will talk about the governance

process here in New York and how it's non-existent at this point. There was a community advisory board at one point, and that was abolished by the current administration. Then they had a dedicated city staff member, who was involved with us, he has since left the government. There is no input for New Yorkers for the direction and development of the .nyc TLD. I haven't been able to get comparable information from other city TLD, but here at New York we're slowly declining and I attribute that to a lack of public engagement. I will share these slide with everyone, you'll tell me how later on how to send an email. I'll take questions if you have them.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you, you finished quicker than I expected. It's Glenn. Any questions for Tom? Quick question for you Tom, how is it progressing for you with the nycd, what has been the results since even working, I know you've been an advocate for many years on this, can you give any quick update on your success?

TOM LOWENHAUPT:

Sure, when the city got the TLD. I thought to myself, what do I do now. Now that we have spent a dozen or so years on the project, what would I want my contribution to be. What was my effort? I know a lot about TLDs and city TLDs at this point, I thought what I would do is share that information. The organization I started to advocate for .nyc at ICANN and elsewhere, turned its attention to the UN and we became an NGO at the UN, with the assumption that we would assist nation states and cities with developing their acquisition and development of their city

TLDs. Shortly after getting accepted, I realized that in conversations with people that they would ask me how was .nyc doing? Then I would say very negative because we're not doing very well with it. What I decided to do, rather than focus my effort on the UN and that mission, that I would try and make .nyc work. I am working on a neighborhood site trying to prove that the internet works for people and [inaudible]. The site is myneighborhoodname.nyc. Jacksonheights.nyc. You'll see the beginning of our efforts and any thoughts there and assistance is most welcome.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes, thank you Tom. I remember seeing that poster on a bus ad in New York. That is great news. There is a question that came in on the chat and it was from Alfredo. He was curious on how does it compare with the other cities in the US, like .vegas or .miami or what about .berlin or .capetown is there any yard stick on the most successful city TLD location?

TOM LOWENHAUPT:

It depends on what you mean by success. To me I've always said that New York got 5 domain names and made it a better city, it would be a success. Numericals are not what I look at. You look at .lasvegas and it is very hard for example, to even find who runs it or sells it well. I guess you can buy a name, I really haven't looked at Las Vegas, no. Numerically, you could go to any TLDs and find out which ones are best, but I'm very anxious to learn and I would love to hear cities who are using their TLD to benefit the population. If anybody is in one of their

---

---

cities that has a TLD and can tell me Tokyo or Berlin or London is helping civic life, in its development of the society and the city, I would love to hear.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry Tom, if you were asking me a question I really couldn't hear it very well. Can you repeat it please?

TOM LOWENHAUPT: The question, I was somewhat answering a question with my own question and that being that I do not know how well city TLDs are serving the needs of resident of various cities. If others know I would love to hear.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you. I actually am not aware of success in other locations, but it is well worth just as a separate chat. I was very curious to have an ebook created on this concept, especially your success and challenges that you had, maybe it is something we could discuss a little bit more detail. I want to open it up to the floor still. I see Alfredo is on the call, i am not sure if he has voice as he says he wasn't hearing. I want to give time to his, he was on the agenda to do a report on the education working group and I just want to call it out to anyone else who has a question. I know that Evan has strong views on this issue, but I don't think he is getting audio on city TLDs, especially for .toronto. Anyone else have a question or comment on this issue? OK, well. Thank you so much Tom and I've already converted your slides into an ebook and I am

---

sharing it with everyone. It's also been shared on Skype already. Thank you again Tom. I'm going to turn to Alfredo. Can you do a quick report on what's happening with the education working committee?

ALFREDO CALDERON: Can you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, go ahead.

ALFREDO CALDERON: OK. For next month we're going to have [inaudible] universal acceptance and I do want to state and remember everybody that when we organize the snippets or short webinars during the meetings, we have to keep in mind that we have to be aware that the topics have to have some relationship with the mission of ICANN. This was an issue that came up when were at Puerto Rico at ICANN 61 meeting, and it would be great if the hot topics working group and the policy working group, we can get together and review those ideas and those topics, so we can set up a better sequence of sessions and the meetings. Basically, that is what I have to report.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you Alfredo. I know this was an issue with the very first topic we had was on net neutrality, which was given by Mark [inaudible] and then there was a discussion on whether or not we should have a position on that. I believe out of that discussion, while saying it's an

---

interesting topic just like the city TLD is an interesting topic and we're going full circle on that, but moving forward, thing like net neutrality or city TLD are interesting topics but are not in the remit and will not be topics, is that correct Alfredo?

ALFREDO CALDERON: They could be topics but we have to give priority to those [inaudible] permission of ICANN.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: OK, great thank you Alfredo. Is there any scheduled meeting that you can invite anyone to, that's coming up this month or next month?

ALFREDO CALDERON: I think Silvia can help me out with this. I think we were going to have a meeting the third Thursday of the month. I'm trying to figure out if I'm capable of making that time, because i had a problem that came up a few months ago and I have that time booked for that. What I did in the previous meeting, I think it was Glenn who presided that meeting.

SILVIA: That's correct. This is Silvia from staff. We can coordinate on the next meeting with Alfredo in the next week or two, we can schedule whenever you have availability. I put the weekly base of this working group on the chat so you can all see it.

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you Silvia, thank you Alfredo. I see in the chat. It's Glenn again, for the transcript. Evan has stated that Jonathan Zuck is on his way. Is Jonathan there, as he's got two issues that are in the topic today if he wants to address it. Jonathon are you there? Almost there, but not quite. OK folks. I think we're getting close to the end and I want to turn to the staff, Heidi or Silvia, any burning issue that we need to address? That we have neglected in this call that we should have been addressing, or Heidi is there anything you want to share with us?

SILVIA: Not at this point. I think there are going to be several policy issues coming up so please take a look, keep a look out for those. The additional budget request in the budget will hopefully be approved shortly and there should be some announcements there. Just keep up the good work and all the activities again and the upcoming, please keep in touch with staff so we can help you promote them and promote at-large.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you Silvia, and there's a question and I noticed it's on the agenda and William pointed it out, what is the individual member certification criteria we have, I'll turn to staff on that as Eduardo as added that onto the list. I didn't get a chance to chat to him about what he meant by that category. Heidi or Silvia, did you want to address that issue?

HEIDI: Silvia, could you take that?



SILVIA: Sure, the individual members of at-large are the NARALO has a criteria, which is number one, to be a permanent resident of one of the countries or territories in the North American region as defined by ICANN. Not be a member of an accredited [inaudible]. Be subscribed to the mailing list of NARALO, this is a very simple criteria and the email requesting membership must be sent to at-large staff, then we coordinate with NARALO leadership and the individual who wishes to become an affiliated member is certified. I'm going to put on the chat the Wiki website where the requirements are posted.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you. Just to address the issue with on the working group outreach and engagement. I use the time during the showcasing the [inaudible] as the main outreach effort. What I think is appropriate is to give you a quick update, we had an outreach table at the ICANN 61 for NARALO, we also had our celebration our 10 plus, almost 11 year celebration. Everyone received brochures and it was well attended at the midday celebration we had. We also did [inaudible], a very successful school of internet governance, which again we showcased NARALO at that event plus everyone, roughly 29 students, received information with NARALO. Judith, was responsible for outreach, particularly any sign up of ALSes. I believe there's a couple going through the bases for the evaluation in terms of the staff has those applications, but we should be seeing some new ALSes as a result of the [inaudible]. I see we have just a few minutes but I wanted to give the time to Jonathan Zuck, you had two items on the agenda Jon. You are

---

welcome to fuse them together, one is on the policy group that you're doing, a quick update, and also the NARALO hot topics. Over to you Jon, and that will take us to the top of the hour.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Thanks, can you hear me OK?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes we can, thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK: I wanted to talk about the policy group a little bit and definitely make the call for volunteers to participate on the policy committee that we're trying to get up and running. Then the two topics I wanted to raise here on the call and I think would be of interested to NARALO and to the at-large generally. Is the disposition of auction funds in the use of replenishing the reserve, and there is a clause in the auction funds blog that ICANN put out that says that the auction funds wouldn't be used for operational purposes. At the same time, there's a number of public and community oriented projects that might otherwise detract from the ICANN budget that would be a good place for the auction proceeds. One of those that I think would really be a strong area to invest auction proceeds is in universal acceptance, which is something I am scheduled to talk about before too long. The idea of these new gTLDs not being accepted by web pages because they have code in them that says just look for 3 letters after the period or something like that. The validation code that hasn't been updated to account for longer new gTLD strings. I

---

think that's an area for investment of the auction funds but would also provide some relief on the ICANN budget at the same time and helping pay back the reserve funds. I think the reserve fund is something good to talk about in terms of public comment and the other thing I wanted to bring up was the name collisions issue. I think that at-large has made a decision not to talk about that, but I think it was mainly just out of lack of interest at the outset. If I can take a shot at that I would suggest that in at least a faction within the registry stakeholder group are really pushing to make sure nothing holds up further introduction of new gTLDs. I think that it's been the position of the at-large for some time, that that should not be the tail wagging the dog in terms of end user interest, and certainly [inaudible] taking place on name collision is something that we might want to look into further and make sure that it gets the time it needs to get done right. Not just put it down because we're in such a rush to get more string into the root. Those are some things I wanted to throw out there as a policy issues in which we might want to be engaged.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you. That was a great summary. I think wraps it up. I think we've accomplished what we could today and thank you everybody for waiting through this trial period with this WebEx. I know that Evan has strong opinions and we had lots of dialogue when they heard WebEx was used. Hopefully Zoom will be our next choice. Heidi, can you give us a quick update what's happening? Adobe is off the table at all, correct? What are we looking forward to for our next call?

---

HEIDI: This is Heidi. [inaudible] there have been discussions with Ash on the needs of the community, so we will be giving you updates as soon as we can but we are very closely monitoring the two new platform and we understand Adobe Connect still does have its features as well. [inaudible].

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Stay tuned folks, thank you all for your patience. Go ahead Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: More question for you Heidi, can you find out, because I think WebEx is not very accessible for people with visual and low vision. I know in the past Charlie has said that they have had problems and I'm wondering if that has been tested by the group or not by the policy group. I know Zoom is very accessible to everyone.

HEIDI: I will need to take a look at that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I think we'll have to conclude the meeting. Judith you made a very good point, I think let's keep the pressure on making sure that it's accessible. Again, thanks everyone for joining the call today, we hope to see you the next time and thank you for your patience with the tool today. This concludes the meeting.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**