

---

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Hello, this is Jean-Jacques speaking. Can you hear me? Hello?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Good morning. This is the At-Large EURALO General Assembly March 15<sup>th</sup> ICANN 58.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Good morning, everyone. We'll be starting in a couple of minutes. Just waiting, if there is a few more people coming. Expecting about 12 At-Large Structures and I think that they're not all here yet.

Okay. I think we can think about starting very soon. It's 10 minutes past our official starting time, so let's please take your seats, ladies and gentlemen.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Heidi and Silvia to reception.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Well, good morning, everyone, and welcome to this EURALO General Assembly. Today, we're Wednesday, the 15<sup>th</sup> of March, 2017. I'm Olivier Crepin-LeBlond and next to me is Wolf Ludwig. We are going to have a two-hour general assembly with two sections. The first part will be just standing issues, the usual things that you need to do for a general assembly, and then we'll have a discussion on a set of topics during the second part. In between part one and part two, we will take a

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

group picture with Glenn McKnight, but hopefully we'll have a few more people join us at this early hour in the morning.

So, with us, joining us, we have the ALAC chair, Alan Greenberg. We also have Leon Sanchez, who is next year's board member selected by At-Large. Starting next year, board member. Unfortunately, Rinalia Abdul Rahim could not come to see us. She's got, unfortunately, another appointment at this time in the morning and she sends her apologies.

There is a sign-up sheet that is going around the table for you to be able to sign your name, but we do have to have a quick introduction. Just say your name and affiliation. So, what ALS or what organization you are from. Which side shall we start with? Let's start with the youth, with ... Is it [Maxdon Hacker], I believe? Max? Lutz? So, let's start. Just your name and affiliation, please.

LUTZ DONNERHACKE: Lutz Donnerhackle from [Fitook].

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: I'm glad Roberto is paying attention.

ROBERTO GAETANO: Yeah. Roberto Gaetano, EURALO Internet Users Association, and don't talk to me in the next half-hour.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: And should I ask? Chief [inaudible] of ICANN. I believe that there was a lot of work last night, so you're excused for the next half an hour. Let's continue around the table.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible] and also as proxy for the [Austin] Computer Society.

[ANNE-MARIE JOLIE]: [Anne-Marie Jolie], representing in ALS.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I am representing in an ALS called [eSeniors].

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Sebastien Bachollet, ALAC member. Thank you.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible] member of the European Media Platform.

LEON SANCHEZ: Leon Sanchez, ALAC member, guest speaker.

YRJÖ LÄNSIPURO: Yrjo Lansipuro, ISOC Finland.

---

SANDRA HOFERICHTER: Sandra Hoferichter, [inaudible].

WOLF LUDWIG: Wolf Ludwig, Comunica-ch, Switzerland.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Olivier Crepin-LeBlond, EURALO chair.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Silvia Vivanco, At-Large staff.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Heidi Ullrich, At-Large staff.

YESIM NAZLAR: Yesim Nazlar, ICANN staff.

EVIN ERDOGDU: Evin Erdogan, ICANN staff.

ALAN GREENBERG: Alan Greenberg, not ICANN staff, and chair of ALAC.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [inaudible] Serbia.

---

BASTIAAN GOSLINGS: Bastiaan Goslings, ISOC Netherlands and recently elected as an ALAC member for EURALO.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [inaudible] Germany.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible] President for [inaudible].

GABRIELLA SCHITTEK: Hello. I'm Gabriella Schitteck and I'm ICANN staff.

ERICH SCHWEIGHOFER: Hello, Erich Schweighofer. Guest. Member of the Austrian Computing Society.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible] based domain dispute resolution provider [inaudible] by ICANN.

[YVETTE]: Yvette [inaudible], the same.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [inaudible], Association [inaudible].

---

GISELLA GRUBER: Gisella Gruber, ICANN staff. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Gisella. Have we gone through the whole room?

ARIEL LIANG: Ariel Liang, ICANN staff.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks very much. Just one thing. We didn't hear if anybody was holding any proxies whilst being at the table as well. Would anyone holding proxies please put their hand up and say what organization you have a proxy for.

ERICH SCHWEIGHOFER: The Austrian Computing Society. I'm standing here for [inaudible].

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: And that was, of course, Erich Schweighofer who has spoken. Okay, I believe that means we have 12 ALSes. Staff will find out how many At-Large Structures we have represented here. So, welcome, everybody, and thanks for this. And, of course, thankfully Sebastien Bachollet has reminded me we do have people online as well. I'm not sure if they're dialed in or not, so I'll just read the people that I see online that we haven't already mentioned in the room. There's Oksana Prikhodko from European Media Platform. There's Jean-Jacques Subrenat, the chair of the European Users Association. Who else? [Matthew Cummings] from

---

ISOC France. I think that's the full list. Okay, excellent. Yes, I see Matthew. Right. Thanks. Welcome, everyone, and welcome to those of you following us online.

So, the first part of this agenda is going to be just a standard thing. First, we need to check if we have quorum. Staff is lagging behind a little bit, so please, get in order. We need to have a number at some point. And let's go immediately to our guest speakers in the meantime because we don't require quorum for our guest speakers to speak. I'm just looking at the order here. We'll start with Leon Phillippe Sanchez. Actually, Leon, if I could check. Do you have any time constraints this morning? You do? Okay, so you do have to dash off at some point soon. I think it's the same with Alan as well at some point soon.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, but not anywhere near right now.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Alright. So, then let's start with Leon Phillippe Sanchez, the ALAC vice chair and also the member selected by the At-Large community to be on the board starting from next year. Leon, you have the floor.

LEON SANCHEZ: Thank you very much, Olivier. First, I want to thank EURALO for having favored me with your vote. I really appreciate the ALSes express their thoughts and that they voted so that Olivier could direct his vote in favor of me. So, I want to thank you for that. And of course I want to reaffirm my commitments, as I did during the electoral process, during

---

the campaigning process, to remain [inaudible] and always at the disposal of the ALSes and the region, and of course the ALAC members, to have your thoughts and your voices heard, and of course act accordingly when needing to make decisions at the board level.

So, feel free to always contact me. If you don't have my contact details, I will be happy to provide them so you can have them always handy. And believe me, this is not just something that I say. I mean it. I will be close to the community.

Secondly, as you might also be aware, I am a co-chair for the CCWG on accounting ICANN's accountability and I would like to provide you with a very quick update of what we did in our face-to-face meeting here in Copenhagen. We basically went through reading the SO and AC accountability recommendations. We did a first reading on that. We also advanced work on staff accountability. We had some discussions to define the scope and the expectations of this subgroup.

We also decided on how to finalize the subgroup recommendations. You see, when we went through work stream one, we packaged all of the recommendations into a single document and then we circulated this through the chartering organizations for approval and we also, of course, had these recommendations going through the public comment periods that we usually have within the ICANN community policy decision process.

What we agreed in this topic is that each of the subgroups will be releasing the recommendations for public comment and we will also be – once these public comments are finalized, we will also be circulating

---

these recommendations to the chartering organizations so they can begin to run their approval process to the specific topics of each subgroup instead of providing them with a very bulky and large document that could maybe occupy a lot of their time. So, what we want to do is have this as easy as possible for chartering organizations, so this is the process that we will be following.

In regard to timing, it has become evident that we will not be finishing our work in work stream two as we have planned by the end of fiscal year 17 so we will be extending the timeline. We are discussing how we can extend the timeline so that the different subgroups are able to continue to work on their issues, and what we have managed to do is to find a way in which we can extend the timeline for this work but without impacting the budget. We have been assigned a budget to carry on the work that we need to do in work stream two. We have been very mindful of this budget and very careful with the expenses, so we haven't depleted that budget and actually we have made some savings, and this will allow us to extend the timeline without, as I said, impacting the budget and having a longer timeline to deliver the different documents that we are supposed to provide to the community for public comment, and of course later for approval of the chartering organizations and then hopefully by the board and implementation.

We also had a chat with Goran Marby the CEO; and Steve Crocker; and George Sadowski. We spoke to them about how to better communicate with staff and how the relationship with the ICANN CEO, the board, and the community could evolve into something more open and more fluent. It was agreed we would establish a pilot project on this topic with the staff accountability subgroup so we could determine if

---

improvements can be made to some systemic issues that have been identified by this subgroup.

So, this is a quick update on what we did on our face-to-face meeting. I will also say that I remain open for any questions that you may have, either at a personal level if you want to get to know me better and you want to know my [inaudible] on certain topics that you might be interested in and of course in relation to our work in the CCWG. So, thank you very much, Olivier, I will hand it back to you and I remain here for another five minutes so I can get any questions you might have.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Leon. I now open the floor for any questions. I don't see any hands around the table, but I gather a lot of people have already been able to speak to you. You've been very accessible, and of course you're a part of this community. So, if anybody has questions later. Are there questions online? I need to look. Jean-Jacques Subrenat has his hand up. I don't know whether ... Do we have Jean-Jacques on audio?

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Hello. Can you hear me? Hello, can you hear me? Hello? Can you hear me?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Do we have Jean-Jacques on audio?

---

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Hello? Can you hear me? This is Jean-Jacques speaking. Can you hear me?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. So, there's no one on the bridge. I do note a question that Jean-Jacques has sent me regarding the agenda and we will be adopting the agenda immediately after the guest speakers, so we'll be addressing this question immediately after the guest speakers have spoken. Jean-Jacques, if you want to ask a question, you might have to dial in because I don't think that the Adobe Connect room is audio enabled for the online room. So, please do so.

Okay. Thanks very much, Leon, for this introduction. At this point, I also wanted to recognize that of course the election or selection of the board member selected by At-Large had three contenders. We had also Alan Greenberg and also Sebastien Bachollet. So, I'd like to really also thank them for having a run. It's really great to see that we had such good people in At-Large that were able to put themselves forward. I wish you all the best on the board. It should be a great experience.

LEON SANCHEZ: Thank you very much, Olivier. I would also like to thank Alan and Sebastien for running. As you said, I don't think that the electorates had an easy decision. It was a difficult decision because both Alan and Sebastien have been very hard at work with the community and they do have a lot of experience as well. Again, I would like to thank EURALO for favoring me with their vote, and of course the rest of the candidates for having had what I believe was a very civilized process. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much. Whilst we have started the General Assembly, I note that Christopher Wilkinson had walked into the room. Christopher, we did a little round table. Just your name and affiliation, please, for the record as well.

CHRISTOPHER WILKINSON: Thank you. I apologize. I had a previous meeting. Christopher Wilkinson. I'm here on behalf of the ALS of Belgian [inaudible] Region. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Christopher. Okay, let's then have our second guest speaker and that's Alan Greenberg, the chair of At-Large, or chair of the ALAC. It starts becoming very, very muddy these days, ALAC or At-Large. One of the other, he chairs.

ALAN GREENBERG: I've checked the bylaws. I'm not chair of At-Large. Interesting concept what it would mean. Thank you very much for inviting me. I will do my best to get you back on your agenda, as is my normal want, to speak as shortly as possible.

There's a huge focus at this meeting, as you have no doubt noticed, on the At-Large review. The review is very, very critical of At-Large, specifically because we don't manage to, in the general case, engage enough people in our processes. EURALO is in an interesting position right now. You have, as a chair, perhaps the most dynamic person we

---

have ever met, who is never negative, always positive, always cheering on the crowds and puts more time and effort into this than I can imagine. And I say that as someone who works pretty hard for this group.

We have Wolf Ludwig who has similarly been putting lots of work and effort into EURALO, into ICANN, into At-Large for a very long time.

Last but not least, you have three ALAC members, one of whom is untested but we have very high expectations and the other two who are, again, among the more active vocal and thoughtful people that the ALAC perhaps has ever had. I'm not trying to grade all of them, but certainly we have no people who are sitting around quietly. You have no people who are sitting around quietly not contributing. So, you're really well-posed. We also have Yrjo, of course, as our liaison to the GAC. Then ex-ALAC members like Sandra who has done unbelievable work to try to transform ICANN into an organization that actually cares about its people and wants them to do well on the volunteer basis.

So, I think you're really well-poised to not be the ones that the review is talking about and I encourage everyone to make sure that every ALS, every individual member, has an opportunity to participate and actually does do that. If we can get similar results around all the other regions – and that's not to say some regions aren't contributing, but the statistics for EURALO are impressive. I think, going forward, we are going to try to establish what the expectations of the community are for us and I believe we'll be meeting them and exceeding them. So, despite a lot of negative comments at this point with the review, I'm pretty optimistic and I think EURALO is a major part of that, so I'm delighted to see all the

---

people here, given there is no funding for people to come here. This is a pretty good turnout.

One could say, "Well, it's in Europe. Transport is cheap." Staying in Copenhagen for a week is not cheap. So, I appreciate everyone who has made the effort to come here and I wish you a good GA meeting, a good assembly, and a good rest of the week. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Alan. Are there any questions for Alan Greenberg? Christopher Wilkinson?

CHRISTOPHER WILKINSON: Well, I shall say publicly what I have said privately, that we value and appreciate Alan's contribution in recent years and we warmly suggest, demand, that he should continue among us.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Christopher. I think another four years would be good time.

ALAN GREENBERG: I've only been around the ALAC now for a little over ten years and I always like round numbers. I was aiming at 20, not. But, I'm not planning on leaving this week.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Are there any other wonderful suggestions to get Alan to remain another ten years? Well, you're on 14. You've only got six to go, so it's not that much. It goes very quickly. Oh, 20 in total or another 20?

ALAN GREENBERG: I only started a little over ten years ago.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. I thought it was 14.

ALAN GREENBERG: I look older, but ...

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: I don't see any other, any hands around the table for questions, so thanks very much for joining us, Alan, and of course I know you've got a busy schedule. I was in your seat a while ago and it was just one thing after another, so good luck for today.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm here for a few minutes, but I'll be gone halfway through.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Excellent. Okay. So, we're now going to go for the adoption of the proposed agenda. I was just going to quickly check with Gisella. Do we have confirmation of attending members and apologies and do we know whether we have an assembly quorum? Not yet? Wolf Ludwig?

WOLF LUDWIG: Check with Gisella for having quorum. We would at least need to have 50% of our members present or with proxies and we do not have enough. So, 50% would be out of 36, would be 18, and we do not have 18 members or proxies here present for this meeting.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Wolf, including people joining us remotely. Okay, we appear to have 14 people signed up. Well, there are no actual ... I don't think there are any specific decisions that we have to take and not on the agenda itself. If there are decisions that we will need to take, then we'll need to evaluate quorum again just before we take those decisions. But, in the meantime, there is no rule that stops us from having our General Assembly without having quorum.

So, let's then move to agenda item number ... Oh, Sebastien Bachollet?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: I get your point, Olivier, but I would like to suggest that maybe someone try to ... I know at least two ALSes who are in the festivities [inaudible] and ISOC Italy. Maybe we can try to find out if they can come one way or another. Maybe you know others. I just have two in my mind now. Because it will be better if we can have the quorum. Even if we don't need it, it would be a good image. Thank you.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Sebastien. That's a very good point you're making. So, if you could get ahold of Yuliya Morenets and Vittorio Bertola. That's still 16. Okay, well, let's do our best. Maybe some people will join us a bit later. Right. Let's then go to our agenda. And I note in the chat that Jean-Jacques Subrenat—

Oh, just one thing before we do that. Did we have any apologies sent? Because I think that there were apologies also that we need to put in the record regarding attendance. Wolf Ludwig?

WOLF LUDWIG: Just an e-mail from [Stephane] [inaudible] representing [inaudible] Germany and he sends his apologies, for the record.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Wolf. Yes. That's the one that I had noticed. Did staff receive any apologies separately without us being ... No. Okay, just maybe another one. Yesim Nazlar?

YESIM NAZLAR: Yesim Nazlar, ICANN staff. I'm just checking now. I only see Stephane [Hugar] for now.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, so that's one apology. Thanks very much, Yesim, for this. Now, the agenda. There was a note that Jean-Jacques Subrenat has sent me and he did ask a few weeks ago, I think it was, about the allocation of

---

tasks among the EURALO board members. He wanted to have a discussion on this and perhaps of the process to start rolling here to see if the EURALO board would have an allocation of specific tasks or a list of tasks that could be shared among the board members.

So, what I would suggest is that we add this to the agenda at the end just after the EURALO hot topics. It's miscellaneous and AOB, effectively. Are there any other amendments to the agenda? Everyone who is online can consult the agenda online and the people around the table also have a paper copy of the agenda hard copy, so if you want any amendments, changes, and so on.

There is one additional small item, as I mentioned a moment ago, for those people who are in the room, which will be a photo shoot between adoption of the meeting minutes and proposed agenda items, discussion, and adoption of EURALO annual report.

Seeing no hands, I don't see any hands on the screen either ... Oh, and I note that Andrei Kolesikov is following us remotely as well, so he's been recorded as well. I just wanted to note it also to the record. Excellent. Thank you.

Now, the next thing is the adoption of the meeting minutes from the last face-to-face meeting which took place in Helsinki. That was in June 2016 and not very far from here. Well, in the same sort of part of the world. The way that we have meeting minutes is actually the transcript of the session which is provided for all of the sessions at ICANN meetings, and in fact we have transcripts for all of our calls as well. The transcript serves as the meeting minutes. If you use the electronic

---

version of the agenda, you'll have links to part one and part two of the transcripts. That was ICANN 56. So, I open the floor, if there are any questions or comments regarding the transcripts and the recording, of course, as well. And the transcript is on the screen. There's a copy that's currently showing on the screen, although I'm not quite sure anybody can read it at this size. It looks like a transcript from a distance.

Okay. So, are we all okay with the transcript and the recording? It looks like we are, so that's another thing done. Thank you very much, everyone.

I guess that we are now just a few minutes late, but we can go for the group picture which I hope will only take five minutes. Can we do that quickly? Glenn McKnight will direct us as to what we have to do. For those people following us online, it will be a 5-10 minute break. Go and have a coffee and come back and we'll then move into the discussion and adoption of the EURALO Annual Report. In fact, maybe perhaps have a read of the EURALO Annual Report if you haven't done so, so far. So, it's a 10-minute break I guess for the picture now. Thank you.

So, we are continuing this General Assembly. Thank you for bearing with us, those people who are following us remotely. I hope you've managed to get yourself a cup of coffee and a nice, warm croissant at this time of the morning.

We now are moving into the next part of our General Assembly, but before that, I wanted to give the floor for just a couple of minutes to Anetta Milberg, who some of you might know was one of the founding members of EURALO and then she's actually a previous ALAC chair as

---

well, I've been reminded. She has just reminded me of something which she had said yesterday or the day before, but actually it's something worth remembering and that's ... Well, I'll let Anetta Milberg explain to us quickly.

ANETTA MILBERG:

Well, I didn't want to have the floor, but I really want to say that this is a special day today because it is the 10-year celebration of EURALO. Even more than [inaudible]. This is an interesting approach.

Anyhow, to give a little history, I think it's interesting to see that we really started discussing and setting up all this in 2006. It really happened in 2007. We signed the bylaws in 2007 and now we are that advanced that we even can change those bylaws and we have ... At that time, Roberto, you were there at that time, too. So, how many? We were quite a few ALSes at that time already. We had a good start. But, this number has certainly more than doubled which is really nice. We have 34 now and we have six staff people. That is amazing. There was great outreach at staff, too. We had at that time one staff for the whole global ALAC and that was it.

So, I think there is some advance here and I hope that we also can talk a little bit about how we can better work. I already said it before, that I think that we do not always need that much people of ICANN but [inaudible] really we have to get some support in writing some statements and I think we can focus or get [inaudible] study some issues and I do have some proposals later on what we could focus on. I think

---

that's a really great day today. I want to thank Olivier and Alan. Where is Alan? He is gone now?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: He has already gone to his next meeting.

ANETTA MILBERG: Well, okay, that's fine, because there are quite a lot of people – Sebastien, Wolf – who were there from the early times and are still engaged. Lutz and Christopher. I think that ... Yrjo at that time also. Wolfgang. Sandra is not here [inaudible]. I think that's really good. I'm happy to continue. Thanks.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for your kind words.

ROBERTO GAETANO: In those days, we had the quorum at every meeting.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Roberto. Probably quite easier to achieve with that few members. Right. Let's then move quickly on. I'm reminded by staff that we're late. The next thing is the discussion and the adoption of the EURALO annual report. I've sent that to the EURALO main list a while ago for you to read through. So far, the feedback on the mailing list has been positive with no amendments, but I'll now open the floor for any amendments to the EURALO Annual Report 2016. If you are online, you

---

can click on it and you'll be able to read it straight through. Any comments? I'm checking the chat as well and it doesn't appear as though there is any comment online either and I don't see anybody putting their hand up, so I guess we can then move on. We can say that the EURALO annual report seems to be adopted. Shall I do just a consensus call to make sure whether there are any objections to saying that this EURALO report is adopted? Any abstentions? Okay, so the report is adopted by acclamation.

Let's move on then to the next part and that's the briefing on the EURALO task forces. As you know, EURALO has two task forces. One is about the EURALO bylaws. Oh, Sebastien, had you put your card? I see you touching your card. I keep on wondering whether you've been waving at me and I've missed it.

You have two task forces that were created. One is the EURALO Bylaws Task Force. The second one is the EURALO At-Large Structure Engagement Task Force.

Let's start with the Bylaws Task Force. I'll give you a very quick history of it and then hand the floor over to Wolf Ludwig to say a few more words on this.

So, it looked as though over a year ago several of our member At-Large Structures mentioned – noticed, I think. Quite strongly noticed that the procedures that we use at EURALO didn't quite follow exactly the bylaws that we are currently working under. The bylaws date from a while ago and have all sorts of parts of the bylaws that do not – well,

---

are not quite required by EURALO, like a treasurer and things which are not quite in line with all of the RALO bylaws.

So, the group was created to rewrite those bylaws and the first thought was that small amendments could be made, but as time went on, it became quite clear that it wasn't just small amendments. It was large chunks of the bylaws that needed to be chopped up. And it was decided to restart from scratch, to cut a long story short. I'll hand the floor first to Wolf Ludwig and then to Erich Schweighofer. Those two individuals have now taken the torch of the bylaws and I know you call it the Olympic torch and are trying to do this massive sprint towards a new version.

I understand that a new version has been made available and this is the one that's being printed. Is that the new version, Silvia? It's the latest version. Okay, that was sent to you by Florian. Excellent. Thanks. So, it's the latest version that was sent by Florian Hule who works with Erich Schweighofer at the University of Vienna and has been very kind enough to hold the pen on this.

Let me just hand the floor first to Wolf and then you arrange yourself with Erich Schweighofer how you want to share this discussion.

WOLF LUDWIG:

Thanks, Olivier. I think there's no need. You made a good introduction already into the debate. We had a lot of calls a year ago of what was the last year. We [inaudible] weekly calls. Last year, we didn't really progress enough, and now since we have a penholder and since Florian stepped in, I think the work has really progressed because he made

---

himself familiar. He also has an advantage that he's a newcomer and he is not involved in any historical constraints, etc., so I think we are in a very good situation now with Florian. Erich, Florian, and [Ivy] met in Vienna some time ago and it was a very productive meeting the whole morning. [inaudible] preliminary results now on the table. And so, I would like to hand over to Erich.

ERICH SCHWEIGHOFER:

Thank you very much, Wolf. I have the draft on the table. It's a minimum requirements draft. The major [inaudible] jurisdiction. So, there's something it misses in the previous bylaws [inaudible] ICANN bylaws and rules. There seems to be a requirement that a Regional At-Large Structure is established under a legal order. That means that they have to [inaudible] and then they are later recognized by ICANN as a Regional At-Large Structure. And this [piece has been missing].

So, you need for us to always [inaudible] which jurisdiction you are established. And for this purpose, we've chosen Swiss law because it's sufficiently flexible. We have representatives in Switzerland and it [solves] the purposes for EURALO.

The provisions, I will not go into detail on that. It's [inaudible] under Swiss law for the purpose, as we do here, [inaudible] and maybe also then we have some kind of task force [inaudible] additional [organs] of the [cooperation].

What's missing is also, what we have also discussed, are the individual members that must be done [inaudible] that is missing. Then, financial issues. Normally, you do some kind of provision on that because it's

---

[inaudible] do that, but you have to provide for that in the bylaws. It's not yet here because it is disputed and also that's [inaudible] or we can also call it accountability provisions or some people [inaudible] if there's complaints against the board, the General Assembly, the procedures. That may be helpful.

So, the problem nowadays, [inaudible] internationalized. [inaudible] organization is nothing or something. It's not establishing any European law. As it's done [under] German law jurisdiction, it may be able to call [inaudible]. So, German cooperation under [civil] law [with full ability] of the board members [inaudible]. So, we should change to a [inaudible] association with limited liability and incorporated as soon as possible. We may have also some provision [inaudible] resources, [inaudible] and also one major part. As you know, membership is decided according to rules of ICANN, so we have to find a way to include all the quite extensive rules for At-Large Structures in your bylaws. So, we may be [inaudible] and then have a provision for an easier change of this part of the bylaws. So, maybe [inaudible] majority of the General Assembly can decide on this change of [powers] if required by ICANN.

So, all together, we are ready. So, [inaudible] the draft. We are looking for input. Then, we'd like to finish as soon as possible. Particular, [I'm also] a board member. It will restrict my ability under this EURALO exercise. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Erich. Wolf, anything else to add? No? Okay, then let's have questions. Yesim Nazlar?

---

YESIM NAZLAR: We have a question in the AC from Jean-Jacques Subrenat. He is asking in the proposal by Florian, his question one is about an address. What I being contemplated for the EURALO address? This will determine future jurisdiction I suppose somewhere in Switzerland. Where? He asks. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Erich Sweighofer?

ERICH SCHWEIGHOFER: Thank you. It [was being] established in Switzerland and [inaudible] some representatives of the board, so mostly Wolf Ludwig might be helpful or someone else providing a seat, [inaudible] address for this association.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you for this, Erich. I wanted to add that, although there is an address that will be listed or that is likely to be listed, this is an unincorporated association. There are no plans to incorporate EURALO in Switzerland. None of the RALOs are incorporated in any specific jurisdiction. So, when the address might need to change, it's not a case of having to go and fill out 10 pages of paperwork and all of that sort of stuff. It's just in order to comply with the bylaws, the form of the bylaws to have an address. Erich Schweighofer?

---

ERICH SCHWEIGHOFER: I might check it again, but it seems to be that ICANN bylaws require that there is an established association first and [that] signs the Memorandum of Understanding and all the other rules of ICANN. It's not that the Regional At-Large Organizations are established by the rules of ICANN. But, I will check again and ask also ICANN Legal.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Erich. What I was meaning is an organization, a Regional At-Large Organization, does not need to be incorporated in a specific country. It's unincorporated associations are able to sign MoUs with ICANN. The EURALO has and the other RALOs have as well.

ERICH SCHWEIGHOFER: For clarification, yes, it depends on the national laws, if you have to be incorporated [register] or not, the size [inaudible] legal personality, and restricted liability for board members.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you for this. We'll check with ICANN Legal, but I think we've already had an answer from them in any case. Yesim Nazlar?

YESIM NAZLAR: We have a comment in the AC from Oksana Prihodko. She says, "Support Olivier." Thank you.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks very much, Yesim. I believe that's to keep the EURALO unincorporated. I don't see any other hands around the table regarding this topic, and since we are on a tight timeline, then maybe we can move to the briefing on the EURALO At-Large Structure Engagement Task Force. I'll hand the floor directly to Yrjo Lansipuro for this. Oh, is there still someone? Sebastien Bachollet?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yes. Thank you, Olivier. Two things. First, we received a proxy of ISOC [inaudible] and we have one member more participating and they have the proxy. And the second, maybe you can give us what are the next steps about the topic you are leaving now before you go to the next one.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks for this, Sebastien. I was going to give next steps for both of them at the same time, but okay, that's fine. For this one, I think the next steps is really to go through a new draft based on any comments that are received. You've got a draft at the moment here. I would ask that anyone who has comments on this send their comments to Erich Schweighofer and to Wolf Ludwig with a copy to At-Large staff so they don't get lost. And then, Erich, when are you planning to then go through the next iteration? I guess there probably is going to be a call of the Bylaws Task Force, as well.

---

ERICH SCHWEIGHOFER: Yes. We are asking for comments and there will be a call and then we do the next draft at maybe beginning of May. Also, including in the changes [inaudible] and also maybe other changes required for some people.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Erich. Yesim Nazlar?

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you. We have a comment in the AC chat from Jean-Jacques Subrenat. He says, "Yes, Olivier. For instance, our EURALO Individual Users Association, though not incorporated, had to give a physical address and the full data about its head. Yours truly. Thank you."

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Yesim. And thanks for this, Jean-Jacques. It's helpful, as well. So, we have the next steps, so next call around – or next version around May, probably a call around that time, so keep ready for the next call, I guess. Thanks very much for the work that you are doing. It's not easy to go through this, especially with all the history of the bylaws and the complexity of the task at hand. So, next, a briefing on the EURALO ALS Engagement Task Force. For this, we have Yrjo Lansipuro.

YRJO LANSIPURO: Thank you, Oliver. Engaging the ALSes has always been important, but I would say that in light of the At-Large Review, it's [inaudible] really added significance. When we say engaged, of course, the question is engaged what? So, when we started this task force, we first took the

---

recommendation from ATLAS-2 in London, I think recommendation #28 that says that RALOs should try to find and use the expertise that's available at the ALSes, so that the substantive work we do would not be just done by all the same as usual suspects.

So, what we did was actually quite simple, but tedious. It required quite persistent approach. That is to say, Olivier has sent personalized e-mails to all contacts at the ALSes, 37 of them I believe. Not only one, but many, reminders asking them to indicate what areas of expertise they have in those ALSes and whether they have actually [inaudible], names they would like to give us, and so on and so forth.

The result of this effort is a Google document which is editable, which is out there and which indicates [inaudible] areas, [about 30]. And then the ALSes and its expertise areas. There are names of the ALSes and names of the experts that they have given.

We now just sent that back to the ALSes now a week ago and asked them to review it, asked them to add new information if available, and I have gotten quite many responses already.

So, this done, what are the next steps? First of all, I think that the most important thing is that when we have these names, now that you see this document on the screen, we have to use that expertise. So, I hope that from now on when we have this question of there's public comment or there's some other opportunity for At-Large and ALAC to speak its mind, we should take a look at this list and actually approach these ALSes and approach these people and ask if they have something to say.

---

Now, of course, we all know that ALSes are different. Some are concentrating on [e-seniors], some are on legal informatics and so on and so forth. To my mind, this diversity is an enormous asset for us. It's not a liability. It's [inaudible] that we can use in our favor because it shows that we have expertise in many, many areas.

So, we also could study whether we would actually start channeling information to – I mean, not just sending out a mass of information for everybody, but actually try to send information that refers to these special areas to those who really are interested in that. Of course, that's also a question of whether we have resources for that [inaudible] to just forward information to everybody than to start sending it ALS by ALS, but at least we should study this question.

Further, we also asked [inaudible] first e-mails about the experiences of the ALSes as the end user component of the national multi-stakeholder [inaudible], whatever it is. We got lots of interesting responses from there also. And I think that one of the next steps would be to see how we could help, how EURALO could help, by coordinating information on best practices and so on and so forth, when it comes to the role of the ALSes in the multi-stakeholder context of their countries.

For instance, could we somehow help in putting them in contact with other stakeholders in their countries? For instance, [inaudible]. I don't know what kind of relationship there is between the GAC member of a country and the ALSes. Sometimes [it would be useful to] have a chat. In our case, the GAC is actually a member of the ALS, but we might be a special case. Perhaps I'll stop here, and if there are questions I'm happy to answer.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Yrjo. You alluded to I think there's a document which was put together. It's a Google Doc as well that has a link between the At-Large Structures in a country, the GAC rep, the ccTLDs or country-code top-level domain operator, etc. There are a whole number of links in there. It's the Outreach and Engagement Working Group. I think it is somewhere in the hierarchy of the Outreach and Engagement Working Group that you will find this Google Doc. Perhaps I could ask staff to search for it on the Wiki and put the link into our chat. Are there any questions for Yrjo on this fantastic piece of work?

I might say I love the table with the listing here, and effectively also it being I guess one of the first steps, one of the very early seeds of having a policy management process system perhaps in the future where any announcement that goes out there – and I see you, Lutz. I'll give you the floor in a second. Any announcement that goes out there will not be flooding all the mailing lists and therefore filling all the mailboxes of our members, but only those announcements that are pertinent to them will go to them and they'll be able to engage directly. Lutz Donnerhacke, you have the floor.

LUTZ DONNERHACKE: The main problem I see with the ALS structure and engagement is that we have representatives from the ALS this year. They are engaged in ICANN. It's not easy to follow the ICANN documents and make a correct proposal or even a comment to a proposal. It's something that's complicated. You have to learn how to do this and a lot of people who

---

---

can actively [inaudible] to the issues we are discussing here are not on the level to do so because it doesn't matter then. They are part of the ALSes, but the ALSes in most cases are not able to involve them correctly. It needs at least two people, one who understands ICANN and one who understands the issue.

So, we have a problem there I do not have a solution for. What ICANN is doing or what everybody here, At-Large, is doing is preparing some call for comments or some documents, weekly reviews, and saying, "That's the important issues we are discussing at the moment. Please circulate," and you are [inaudible] community.

But, I fear that nobody is doing so. And there we have to look at ourselves and ask if we can do it better in our local structure to get the people who are there, to get feedback from them and put it in. But, it's really hard work. And maybe it's better to have them here that we can put it on the CROP program to get other people, not the usual suspects, to [inaudible] meeting and provide a way to say if you have an ALS, if there's a possibility to send other people than the usual ones to a meeting and to participate and bring in their expertise, it would be much better than have the same people all over again. Thanks very much.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Lutz. Yrjo, do you have any comments on Lutz's points?

---

YRJO LANSIPURO:

Thank you very much. This was very much to the point, of course. These are the problems. That actually brought to my mind, initially that was taken some time ago and I don't know what actually came out of it, but there was an idea that the ICANN documents and what's going on in ICANN, and actually there should be an ad hoc group, put that into a language that is understood by [inaudible] people, and not only those who are deep into the ICANN [inaudible]. Olivier, do you remember, there was this sort of even idea of a task force to start doing that? Anyway, that's something that could perhaps help. When relaying information to the ALSes, perhaps we should handle this with experts.

Of course, that information should be understandable because I fully understand that people at ALSes are not spending all their time in studying ICANN documents and ICANN websites.

And as I said, the diversity of ALSes, the fact that they are actually established organizations in their own context, that's specialized into certain areas outside ICANN's mission, and I think that that will help them to actually bring out aspects that bring the grassroots experience to do EURALO and ALAC, to consider when advice is given to the board. Those are rare occasions it happens, or when At-Large and ALAC otherwise tried to influence what is going on in ICANN. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you, Yrjo. We're running a little bit behind. We have two people in the queue. First, Anetta Milberg and then a remote participant. Anetta, you have the floor.

---

ANETTA MILBERG:

Thank you, Olivier. Just a response to Lutz. I share what you said, that there are two people needed, an expert and one who knows the ICANN world. But, when you start sending other people, experts, to certain meetings only, then you have the problem that no one knows the ICANN world anymore. So, I don't think that is the solution, either.

But, to Yrjo and Olivier, I think it's great that we have this list now. I would not say that you should not send all the requests to everyone. I think it should be on the general list for sure because everyone has to know what's going on and what are the questions, but there should be a personal question saying, "Okay, here, you are the expert on this. Can you answer this question?" I don't think that it's possible for staff or anyone to just say, "Oh, here is the easy part." It's a problem.

What could be possible is that we could identify some questions in that whole thing that we said you don't have to answer all these questions, but one question. There is one thing we would like to focus on and I think that's enough. So, little input, a specific question. We think that could be possible. I think that would be more helpful, and of course, if we do have specific questions, then also the language helps. So, if you do it in the language of these ALSes, then it is really helpful because English is not well ... It's not always, not everyone is an expert in English.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you, Anetta. I note that staff has put ... Have you put it on the link over to this table of RALO – sorry, ALSes stakeholder analysis tool. It's been put on the chat as well.

---

Let's go to our remote participant. Just before that, since I do note that Glenn McKnight is on the table and he is in the Technical Task Force, perhaps tools to help with the filtering of mailboxes is something that we should remind everyone. I know that having the whole flood of all At-Large e-mails is just crazy. It's mixed with your general mailbox, but of course Gmail, Hotmail, Outlook all have tools to be able to put them in separate folders and it does help quite a lot. Yesim Nazlar?

YESIM NAZLAR:

Thank you. We have a comment on the AC chat from Jean-Jacques Subrenat. He said, "Yrjo, as promised, at the last EURALO Monthly Meeting, I mentioned that the EURALO Individual Users Association sends out a survey to its members, the results of which are available on our website. Further, we sent out a message to members to ask for them to volunteer. I hope this helps." And he has also shared the links for the two websites as well. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you, Yesim. Yrjo, do you wish to say?

YRJO LANSIPURO:

Yeah. Thank you, Jean-Jacques.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Erich Schweighofer?

---

ERICH SCHWEIGHOFER: The Austrian Computing Society is a member of the Council of European Computing Societies and would like to bring the ICANN hot topics at the board meeting at the end of April. So, [we used] your nice document concerning hot topics. We [inaudible] a bit, distributed it, and we'll do it again after this meeting. Just to get computing societies interested in these topics and maybe one of them will come up with some application for At-Large Structures. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Fantastic. Thank you very much. Back to you, Yesim.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you very much. We have another comment, this time from Oksana Pryhodko. She says, "I would like to support Anetta's proposition to include language expertise of ALS." Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much. That's noted. I see no other hands around the table. We are running about ten minutes late. Perhaps we can move to the next item on our agenda which is – oh, of course, I'm going to be brought back to reality. What are the next steps on the ALS Engagement Task Force? Yrjo, you have 30 seconds, please.

YRJO LANSIPURO: Well, actually, I think that I mentioned them already. That is to say, to see that the expertise which we have identified will be used whenever we have to draft advice and things like that. Then, this question of

---

channeling information. But, perhaps also what I heard from Anetta and also from Oksana, the question about language. Not translating everything into ... I try to translate some of that stuff into Finnish occasionally, but translating this into all these languages is quite a task and I think that what has come up here, even at some other occasions, is the question whether there could be capacity building in the sense, not of general English language courses, but some capacity building trying to understand ICANNese, the terms, terminology, and all that. I think that could be one thing we could take a look at. Thanks.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much for this, Yrjo. I do note that there's already been some work in the GNSO to have a glossary of terms and there are a couple of tools out there in the ether. But, when I ask for next steps, are you going to have a call in the next month or so?

YRJO LANSIPURO: There will be a call I would say a couple of weeks from now.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks very much for this. Let's move on, then. Now we have just looking at the outline of the EURALO CROP concept for this year. In previous years, we've sent people to the EuroDIG, the European Dialogue on Internet Governance. In fact, you should all have these leaflets with you if you are here locally for the next one that will take place in Tallinn. The fiscal year runs from the first of July to the last day of June the next year, so we only a few months left in this current fiscal

---

year, and so far, we have not had any applications or anything so far CROP funded. CROP is the Community Regional Outreach Pilot program. It allows for the RALO to send form one to five travelers per year to any meeting in the region for – is it two nights, or two days and one night? I can't remember exactly. It's one or the other. But, it's for a short amount of time. And for them to be able to perform outreach in those locations.

In the past year, as listed in our annual review, our CROP attendees ... Where are they? I'm sorry. I'm completely blind this morning. We had Erich Schweighofer. We had ... That's really strange. I can't see the CROP listings. Sorry, it was headed EURALO and EuroDIG.

So, we had our five CROP attendees. This year, we had Walter [Hosendoffer], Yrjo Lansipuro who is very experienced, and then—

YRJO LANSIPURO: Last year.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: That's last year's. Okay. We didn't have it for this year. While looking at that last year, we had some good returns with several of our At-Large Structure representatives being very active afterwards. So, this year, we haven't made any choice yet as to what we will do. I've asked numerous times on the mailing list for anyone to suggest meetings that we should send someone to perform outreach. I haven't had any answer so far.

To the extent that I did make a mistake myself in that I completely forgot about RightsCon that is taking place in Amsterdam in a few

---

weeks' time. And unfortunately, when I finally woke up to the fact that we should have someone over there, it was too late. It was within the eight-week period that we need to have filed things, which is terrible of me because I shared a cab with Brett Solomon, the chair of RightsCon, back in December in Guadalajara, so yes. Too much tequila, I guess.

Anyway, we really have to now look very carefully at where we're going to send people. We could send them to the EuroDIG, of course, and we could send maybe one, two, or three people. But, I wouldn't want to send everyone to EuroDIG again this year. There are so many other meetings. I heard yesterday from Jean-Jacques Sahel in the European engagement discussions that they attend over 100 meetings a year. Either it's the truth or they've been boasting. I'm not sure. He's shaking his head around. Over 100 a year. But, maybe what we can do as a follow-up, then, is just to ask Jean-Jacques and to ask Michael Yakushev to point out any events that could be of interest where we could have At-Large members. We could look for more At-Large organizations. I think both individual members and potential At-Large Structures. Both.

That really is all there is to CROP. Any questions or comments? I don't see anyone putting their hand up, so let's get back in the time just about. We're now joined by the Global Stakeholder Engagement Vice Presidents. I have Jean-Jacques Sahel to my left and he's the VP, Vice President, for Europe. Oh, and further. Oh, I was looking at having you sit on the right, but okay, fine. You've all crunched in this corner for some reason. I think, Silvia, you're very well surrounded. They didn't want to sit next to Wolf. They obviously all want to sit next to you.

---

Michael Yakushev is the Vice President for Eastern Europe, Russia, CIS, and Central Asia. So, welcome, gentlemen. Without any further ado, I guess I should just give you the floor over. The EURALO outreach strategy is something that we've drafted as a small group and it gets reevaluated every year, but we work on this outreach strategy with the Global Stakeholder Engagement department and that's what decides then on our allocation of Community Regional Outreach Pilot Program slots (CROPP slots).

So, you can see the outreach strategy is on the Wiki screen here at the moment. I think it's being shared also online, I hope. But, let me just hand the floor over to Jean-Jacques and to Michael.

JEAN-JACQUES SAHEL:

Thank you. Good morning, everybody. Thanks for having us this morning. Michael thinks I should start because I'm more on the west for some reason and we have to go left to right, I guess, in this particular case.

So, just to give you a quick overview, some of you came to our European stakeholder session, so they've heard this before, sorry. In short, what we do under engagement or what we have been doing for the past two to three years is around two main angles. One is around raising awareness about what is ICANN, what it does, and how you can participate. Then, the other, which is directly related, is to try and encourage the development of active dynamic local Internet communities, because of course, as you very well know, because I think you work on very much the same thing, if we have more engaged, more

---

informed Internet communities, then we have people that are more readily able to take part in ICANN and take part in this policy making in particular. So, that's why we have been busy contributing to various events and also supporting the organization of various activities, such as IGFs or indeed EuroDIG, which of course we have supported for a number of years.

So, yes, we do between 70 and 100 events, but these include – we also count some of our [inaudible], so it helps boost the numbers. Also, we do get invited to speak. So, for instance, Goran has been invited to speak at a business event or domain name event called World Hosting Day. So, it's not the sort of thing that has an automatic, immediate relevance. However, there are events which are obviously ... There's a lot of them that have potential relevance to the At-Large community, and for this, very often we already do work with various people in At-Large or we want to be matched more systematically working with you.

As I mentioned, we work on things like EuroDIG and a number of national IGFs regularly, so we have worked with a lot of people around this table at a local level. But this is really something we want to do more of. For instance, in Serbia, we've been working supporting the local ccTLD who have been organizing a great event every year. They don't actually need much help. It's an amazing event as it is, but we've come as speakers several times and helped organize panels on Internet governance [inaudible]. I think it's about 300 people every year come into [Belgrade] which is really impressive. I wish we could do that for the [UK] IGF. 400 people.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: 400 people, yes. We might do that in 20 years' time.

JEAN-JACQUES SAHEL: Thank you. So, that's something which I think that's something we can do much more systematically, helping each other at a local level, and that's where we as ICANN, we have limited staff resources and we rely on people on the ground to help us with the local networks, etc. So, I'd love to work much more with the local chapters, local ALSes, and working partnership with them. So, when you speak to them, for own ALS, please do think of us. Do contact us if you've got ideas for activities and we'd love to get involved and support you.

Again, many of you around the table should know what this looks like. For instance, Bastiaan, I know you even before you joined this community more actively. We had an event together in the Netherlands on ICANN and human rights I think it was. A couple, actually. And others around the table, I know you've been speakers at other events, etc.

Then, there's another thing that I think we can do much more systematically. The example is RightsCon that Olivier mentioned. So, RightsCon, it's an event that we've actually been involved with for quite a while. It's a [inaudible] civil society event. It was created about I think six years ago or so, and it rotates between regions which is quite interesting also from an ICANN perspective. So, this year it's happening in Brussels at the end of this month. Last year, it was in San Francisco. The year before was Manilla, Philippines. So, it's quite good in terms of having a regional outlet and it's good to be a very impressive event. It's not just for civil society, but also for business and government. We have

---

really strong attendance. This year, there's going to be I think a couple of European commissioners, people from the big Internet companies, telecom companies, etc. So, it's a really good place for engagement. In fact, actually, we were inspired by one of the recent calls on the outreach and engagement working group of [inaudible] which was reflected on the global IGF when people were talking about the use of a booth. Was it an At-Large call? Thank you, Sebastien. People were saying we should try and make more use of our presence in certain events.

So, we contacted various people in the community to see if there was interest in a booth, and so we went ahead in the end, and the idea would be that community members would be able to help man the stand, so we will have the brochures on the booth. We will have community people there to manage them. Not just staff. It's so much more valuable to have community members.

We're working on doing the same at EuroDIG. Actually, I need to finalize that with Sandra. Hopefully, we'll have at least a table, [inaudible] a booth, where similarly we can have brochures and we can have community members from across constituencies there to engage ... I think there's great potential. I know EuroDIG is a bit event. Hundreds of people. They're great targets for our engagement, especially for ALSes. So, I think that's really promising. I think we can do that much more systematically.

That's it. I think I might just pass it on to Michael. We can maybe then interact for questions.

---

MICHAEL YAKUSHEV:

Hello. My name is Michael Yakushev. I am responsible for Eastern Europe and Central Asia, [now/not] Russia and [now/not] CIS because it's already covered within [inaudible] Eastern Europe and Central Asia. My situation is just unique because I have countries that are part of EURALO and part of APRALO, so that's why, for Jean-Jacques, it's much easier to have more compacted and more concentrated set of colleagues and jurisdictions.

So, Jean-Jacques has already said most of what I also wanted to tell you. We follow the best practices and good examples of what Jean-Jacques is doing in the western part of the continent. We do support projects, events, and other activities throughout the broad region of Eastern Europe.

We are concentrating on three main objectives that just implement what targets Jean-Jacques mentioned. It's the strengthening of the security, stability, and resiliency of the global Internet infrastructure. Second is the support of the local DNS industry. And fourth is the involvement of people into the policy making process led by ICANN or, more briefly, just into the Internet governance process.

According to this understanding, everything that is being done, which is being developed in our region, we are ready to support and we are ready to give any kind of assistance. And of course we are interested in increasing the number of EURALO members of different types of At-Large Structures. [inaudible], I mean those who are covered by EURALO, but we are working on it.

---

I think the level of interaction and the level of mutual understanding between us, between EURALO members and EURALO leaders is very adequate and I'm very glad that we are cooperating so closely and so efficiently.

The next thing that I'd like to mention, that of course Internet doesn't have any borders and that's why, of course, this division of EURALO, APRALO, western Europe, eastern Europe is something artificial. It helps organize the work, but it should not be an obstacle for our joint efforts. And of course At-Large Structures from Eastern Europe, they freely attend and participate in all kinds of activities in Western Europe, the European Union, and also all of you of course are welcome to come to the Eastern countries, the countries of Eastern Europe, and we do have working contacts on different levels and on different subjects. So, I think it should be developing and continuing. So, we are very interested in cross-border interaction, cross-regional interaction, just not being limited only to what we call APRALO region, EURALO region, western or eastern European region. It's just something that should not prevent us from interacting together.

Finally, very briefly, we, apart from supporting the activities like regional and national EuroDIGs, of course we do participate in IGFs and we are participating in EuroDIGs, etc. We are arranging, starting from the last year, the DNS forums, the first-ever ICANN organized events in the regional eastern Europe. Last year, it was in Kiev, Ukraine in December and we plan to continue this again, either in Kiev or maybe most probably in Minsk, Belarus where we have the gatherings not only of technical people, not only of DNS people, but also activists and civil society representatives from different sectors and from different

---

---

countries. You are more than welcome to participate in such kind of activities and to share your experience. So, thank you very much.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Michael. I see Sebastien Bachollet has put his hand up.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you. I'm going to speak in French. I hope that you are going to invite the final user, the end users, in all your events. I do insist on that. You talked about civil society. Civil society, I'm tired of hearing this term at ICANN. I know some people think it's great, but we are end users. We are organized in different ways, in different countries. And yes, sometimes we are civil society, but sometimes we are not civil society. So, please take into account who we are and not only what you think we are. I insist a little bit, I know. I'm persistent on that, but some of our issues and problems are coming from that because we do not understand who we really are, representatives of the end users in a structure which is not ALAC but At-Large. ALAC, out of 15 people being nominated, but they only representative 15 people.

When we talk about us, please talk about At-Large. ALAC is a small part, even if you are part of it. Thank you very much.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Sebastien. Anetta?

---

ANETTA MILBERG:

Thank you, Michael. I think let's call it civil society and end users and you're fine. Apart from that, I think it's really interesting if we could get sort of systematic approach to find out what people are really asking for. So, I think this is much more interesting. Sebastien, I think you will agree that we need a way to find out what those people in different areas, what their questions are. For example, I asked my ALS and because we also have the same problem with answering all this review stuff and all this and that and other stuff, it's so difficult. But, they have just simple questions. It's hard to answer and I just wondered if these type of questions come in your area and there is a way of collecting these questions because I think it would be nice to have a list [inaudible] at least one. One question could help, if it's a smart question.

But, if you have, at the end of such a meeting, five questions you could list, for example, what people still [inaudible] my organization is security, technical stability, organizationally and politically. So, from outside and from inside. Things like this, are there these kinds of questions or is it a matter of access? What are the questions in each region? Maybe we could work together on having sort of whenever you have a meeting that there's a little round saying, hey, this is what we do. We always ask these questions, and then a year later, or at a certain place we will give an answer and try to make a little flyer online, not expensive, just give information on that. Thank you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you. I will do it in English. I am Sebastien, for the reminder. That's fair enough. We didn't mean to forget end users. Quite the contrary. As mentioned before, when we do use the [inaudible] civil society, which

---

we've seen on some of the At-Large brochures in the past, we actually encompass non-profit, non-commercial, academia, and end users. Not to say they are one in the same group. Quite the contrary. They are very different, but there are ways to ... It's just a way for us to manage the work really internally more than externally, so we certainly don't want to forget end users. Quite the contrary. And we do rely on your help.

We really do need your help on end users. That's what the At-Large Structures locally are all about. I think, Anetta, you've already given us a really good way forward or one of the ways forward.

First, we do need to work with your ALSes, and for that, we rely on you, as I was saying earlier. To get feedback would be excellent, to get, for instance, at the end of each activity that we do, if we maybe have some sort of feedback form or online feedback form. That might give us a bit. I don't know what you had in mind, but I do recall, for instance, I think [Sandra] took the floor yesterday in one of the meetings to remind us that EuroDIG, for instance, has a call for ideas online in preparation for EuroDIG which I think gives quite a good indication of what a number of stakeholders, including many end users, are interested in [inaudible] very useful indication. But, of course, within each country or region, where there are specific interests ... We know, for instance, in the southeastern European region where CEEDIG has developed, they've got some specific areas of concern, so we'd love to hear more from you, so that will help us tailor our message, our communication, our activity, etc.

---

Again, it would be great to have more of a feedback loop and much more partnership really, direct partnership with you. Michael, I don't know if you wanted to add anything.

MICHAEL YAKUSHEV: No, just fully agree. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. We have a remote participant question or comment and then I'll close the queue because we're running out of time.

YESIM NAZLAR: We have a question in the AC room from Oksana Pryhodko. Does ICANN plan to organize any survey in Europe, especially in Eastern Europe? Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Michael Yakushev?

MICHAEL YAKUSHEV: I'm not sure what kind of survey is meant. It may be somehow related with our attempts of engagement of academia of research institutions and we do try to engage them, especially in form of our joint research work in the field of domain names, domain name security, involvement into the Internet governance. In Eastern Europe, we have on the short list the organization, University of Georgia, the biggest private

---

institution in [inaudible] Georgia. National University [inaudible] in Kiev and [inaudible] of Economy in Moscow.

So, with the help of such academic institutions, yes, we do plan and we have already made certain surveys and the information of them is available. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Michael. And this closes the chapter of the At-Large outreach ... Oh, I see Heidi Ullrich. Sorry, I didn't see your card. Heidi Ullrich, you have the floor.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Olivier. In addition to outreach activities, I know that in the last few days we've been talking about a little bit about engaging ALSes, more capacity building, skills training for the development of policy, advice development. And I'm reminded that last year there was the development and publication of the EURALO hot topics document where it lists the hot topics that EURALO was working on in terms of policy and then also I think, if you could scroll up just a little bit, I think this is a very crucial point. It lists the potential impacts of those policies on end users. So, I think this is one of the only documents that you have right now that lists. It makes that connection of what the policy topics are and what the potential impact. And if we could extrapolate from that and make some documents to start engaging ALSes and other members, that might be of use.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Heidi. Since we are running out of time and we had an agenda item on the hot topics but also on the RALO response, you've already done the hot topics. That saved us time and I don't think we'll have time to discuss this in further detail. Jean-Jacques, you wanted to say a couple of more words?

JEAN-JACQUES SAHEL: Just simply [inaudible] which is to say please do get in touch. If you've got even just a start of an idea for an activity, I'd love to help develop that and [inaudible]. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Jean-Jacques. We have the EURALO events calendar also or outreach calendar which I think staff will put a link to. It's desperately empty at the moment and we need to fill it up. It's for us to fill up so that everyone is aware of what events are going on in the region. We also have some brochures for outreach that you have to pick up, The Internet Is Yours, Does Internet [inaudible]? In German, yes. We've got some in German. So, pick some up. We have a massive box of these. Then, we've got a Russian version. Or perhaps, Michael, what does it say?

MICHAEL YAKUSHEV: Internet [inaudible].

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Internet Belongs To You. It's in Russian.

---

MICHAEL YAKUSHEV: So, in Russian, it's called Internet [inaudible], Internet Belongs to You.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Excellent. I started with nyet, finished with da. Thanks very much for this. I don't know whether we have any extension, but Sebastien Bachollet wanted to say a couple of words.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Before you leave, both of you, it's a message for Olivier, the chair, and the staff at the European level. There are some people who came here paying their own tickets and those people should be treated as king. We should see those persons, individually speak with those persons individually, because they are the persons we are looking for. As it's easy, ICANN is paying for our trip to come, so it's not so difficult. But, when you have to pay your ticket to come, it's another story. So, I think that these persons deserve more than they have today. Thank you, Sebastien.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: We now have – and I'm really looking at this. The next thing that we have is ... We have 10 minutes. Okay. Well, the next item on the agenda was the hot topics on the one side, but you've been alerted to this and I think that we need to launch a process by which we update those hot topics. The document isn't that old. We just need to review those hot topics. Perhaps we can schedule this in a future EURALO meeting, EURALO call. Heidi Ullrich?

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. Sorry to interject here. Perhaps we could develop documents that go deeper into that and then have those as tools for current ALSes to understand the topics a little bit better.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this, Heidi, and then I was going to return the favor back to you and ask perhaps a DDDPP document drafting pilot program thing and so on could be looked at. And judging from Heidi's face, oh. Okay, so that's one thing just sent. Yes, we can. Excellent. Okay.

Second thing. The RALO response to the items draft report. You will have seen that I shared a number of copies of the RALO response. I'll come to you, Yesim, in a second. I think that anyone who hasn't heard about the items review, of the At-Large review, has not paid attention.

We can still receive comments until tonight on this report because from tonight onwards, the drafting teams will be coming together looking at both the At-Large response and the RALO response and we will be finalizing those two responses and making sure they don't conflate with each other, etc. So, that's just to let you know. It's all online, so you should be able to find it quickly. Christopher, you wanted to say something. Christopher Wilkinson?

CHRISTOPHER WILKINSON: I was just going to ask if we could get a link to the current final draft of the RALOs response. You say it's easy to find it online. It could take me 20 minutes.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: I was hoping that staff would put it in the chat. I did send it by e-mail to everyone and it's the new version, not the old version, the one that's in monochrome. The previous one was in glorious technicolor and it got a few people confused. I can see your thumbs down. Yes, we are used to ... The monochrome is a lot easier, isn't it? Orange screens, the early 80s. Yesim Nazlar?

YESIM NAZLAR: We have a comment in the AC chat from Wale Bakare. Wale says, "As a member of EURALO Individual Users Association and recently joined the EURALO board, I would like to use my experience as vice chair of individual users to contribute to the EURALO's yearly development of strategy plan as well as its engagement tasks between ICANN and ALSes." Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Thank you for this, Yesim, and thank you, Wale, for volunteering to move forward on this. No doubt, as a member of the EURALO board, you will be put to contribution. In fact, this takes us, provided there are no further comments, to any other business. Look at that. It says five minutes. We're not that late. We have about 5-10 minutes still for this.

The first one is the EURALO board positions. The second one was a point that – was it Sebastien? – wanted to make. Maybe we can start with the EURALO board positions. Christopher, could you please turn your mic off? Thank you.

---

So, we have a EURALO board made up of five members. The ALAC members are ex-officio. So, they're on the EURALO board mailing list, but they're not actual board members, per se. We had a number of changes on the board due to some people standing down because of various appointments that they had, professional appointments that they had.

But, at present, we have Wale Bakare, Matthieu Camus, Yrjo Lansipuro, Anetta Milburg, and Erich Schewighofer. The suggestion that's been brought forward by Jean-Jacques Subrenat was that the board should allocate specific tasks to each one of the board members. So, areas of responsibility. I don't think there's any further explanation to be done here. I just put this out to the floor here, if anybody has any comment on this. Perhaps, should I ask the board members that are present to comment on this and whether they'd be interested in this. Obviously, it's something which board members have to agree to, but if there is an overwhelming push for this, then board members might not even have to agree. It will just be given tasks, which is often the case when you ask for volunteers and nobody volunteers. The floor is open. Yrjo Lansipuro?

YRJO LANSIPURO:

Well, I think that, in fact, the board members have specific tasks. That is to say they are not set for years. It just really depends on what needs to be done. I think that otherwise we have these task forces, at least. We are relatively busy with them, but these are not tasks allocated to us in some sort of document or whatever. It very much depends on the situation what needs to be done, and then of course board members divide the work among themselves. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Yrjo. Are there any other comments? Erich Schweighofer?

ERICH SCHWEIGHOFER: I agree with Yrjo. We have responsibilities and [inaudible] but there's no need to have a particular task or responsibilities.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you. Let's ask Anetta Milberg.

ANETTA MILBERG: I just share this position and I have to also say sorry for my activity last year which was extremely limited for work reasons. I am one of the persons Sebastien said I'm here on my own budget, so it is not that easy to get this done parallel on a [inaudible] basis, but yes, we did some – Jean-Jacques now is not here anymore, but one very good thing, just saying what we do in the regions of the region, we do some conferences where we talk about all these ICANN issues and I think we all share these different approaches on what are the topics we should talk about and what could be integrated and we work together with staff and I think that's very helpful.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Anetta. I note that our two other board members are following remotely. If you wish to comment on this, please type it in the chat. Both Wale and Matthieu. Yesim Nazlar?

---

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you. We have a question in the AC chat from Jean-Jacques Subrenat. He says, "Do all board members have a roughly equal distribution of tasks?" Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you for this question, Jean-Jacques. I guess I don't think there is a formal distribution of tasks, per se. What I would suggest perhaps is that the board should discuss, first, what its responsibilities need to be. And I know there is a document which provides some of the responsibilities of the board. Was it you, Wolf, that wrote this a while ago? It was what the board should do and things. There's no formal document that says what the responsibilities of the board is, but it's a set of people that take more of an active interest in At-Large and deal with a lot of the work that goes around. Wolf, perhaps you could say a few words.

WOLF LUDWIG: Thanks, Olivier. Just a point of clarification. What I wrote some time ago, some minimal criteria for board selections, what are the expectations, because as we all remember, we had years when we had dormant board who never showed any active involvement, blah-blah-blah, and therefore we said in 2015 for the next round, when we [review] the board as well, we set some [inaudible] criteria.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks for this. Sebastien Bachollet?

---

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: I don't think we need to spend much more time on that. The board needs to organize itself. We can't from outside say, "Hey, you need to do what ..." If we disagree or we think that they don't do enough, we will vote for them or not vote for them next time. That's my point, and I think that today we know some of the board members who are doing a lot. Erich with the new bylaws. Yrjo running one of our working groups and being the connection with the GAC and so on and so forth. I [inaudible] for all. But, I will say it's a task of the board to organize itself. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Sebastien. Yesim, you wanted to add one more comment?

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you. Actually, it's a clarification from Jean-Jacques Subrenat. He says, "Rather than tasks, I should have said bluntly, work."

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Yesim. As Sebastien mentioned, it should be for the board to really organize its work. Let's have an action item that they take up this issue during the next board member so they can discuss it among themselves and perhaps see how they can enhance or divide any tasks or any work that is on the table.

---

Finally, Sebastien Bachollet, you have a matter of concern that you wanted to bring to us.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you. For the ones who were here yesterday at the board ALAC At-Large meeting, I was tasks to give some figures by the participation of At-Large in the various subteam of the work stream two. It's happened that after going more deep, we have five people who are listed in the work stream two and three of them, if not four of them, are not listed in any subgroup. I think we are missing something.

I have the impression to be the only one participating to one subgroup and be really engaged with this work stream two. I think if we want to move and those [inaudible] subgroup are important. If one is interesting, the topic interests more one of you, it will be very useful because we need the voice of everybody, and Europe for At-Large is not enough represented in the core of the work that's in the working group, the subgroup sorry.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you, Sebastien, for this sad reminder. I do hope that people take this seriously because so many of the work streams are actually very much the type of topics that our community is interested in. So, it's never too late to get involved and some of these work streams will go on for at least another six to eight months. Heidi Ullrich, last few words. You did write one thing here regarding asking ALSes to send notes on their ... It was for me to ask. I think it's a good thing. So, for At-Large Structures to perhaps send a photo of themselves for us to populate a

---

little bit what we're doing. We can put it on the Wiki page. That would put a face to the names, and that of course we don't always see in person at our meetings.

With this, any last points? Going once, going twice. I'd like to thank the interpreters for agreeing to stay an additional ten minutes and cutting into their short break. And thanking our staff, of course, and Silvia who has been great at putting this whole agenda together. So, thanks very much. This meeting is adjourned. Well done. Thank you. Goodbye.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**