
CLAUDIA RUIZ: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening, everybody. Welcome to the ALAC Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement call on Monday, 20 August 2018, at 17:00 UTC.

On the call today, we have Adrian Schmidt, Alfredo Calderon, Ali AlMeshal, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Daniel Nanghaka, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Ejikeme Egbugu, Fatimata Seye Sylla, Glenn McKnight, Isaac Maposa, Judith Hellerstein, Lilian De Luque, Marita Moll, Maritza Agüero, Matthias Hudobnik, Maureen Hilyard, Michel Tchonang Linze, Montresor Konan, Olivier Crepin-LeBlond, Jana Priyatosh, Siranush Vardanyan, Tijani Ben Jemma, and Yrjo Lansipuro.

We have received apologies from Vanda Scartezini and Shreedeeep Rayamajhi.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich and myself, Claudia Ruiz, on call management.

Before we begin, I would like to remind everybody to please state your name before speaking for the transcription purposes. Thank you, and I will turn it over to you, Daniel.

DANIEL NANGKAHA: Thank you very much for the roll call. I'm just [experiencing some] technical issues. I apologize. I got dropped again on Adigo, but it is good that I can be able to use Adobe Connect.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Over the last meeting, we had to go through the process of the selection of new co-chairs. I would like to announce that from AFRALO we have Fatimata who becomes the co-chair for AFRALO. From APRALO, Ali AlMeshal. EURALO, we have Matthias Hudobnik. From LACRALO, we have Maritza. Then from NARALO, we have Glenn.

I'll proceed straight to the third item on the agenda. Previously, we had the discussion about CROP and there were a series of questions that were arising regarding the respective CROP trips. The page was created on where you could post the respective questions regarding to CROP. From there, we'll expect at least a feedback from GSE and the CROP staff. But, unfortunately, we weren't able to have [inaudible]. Still, we are going to ask again to [record], first, those who have questions about CROP that they can get posted there. During the next [inaudible] the staff together with the GSE, the CROP staff, [will allow] GSE to be able to discuss the CROP issues [inaudible] through the respective FY.

I'll proceed to item number four on the respective agenda which is the ... I'll proceed to the first item which is the outreach and engagement strategy for 2019.

As we've [inaudible] regarding to the respective studies for [other] respective regions. But, I'll just simply give a highlight of why do we really need the general strategy for outreach and engagement.

Based on the review that was made, that was the At-Large review implementation overview, we discovered the items that directly affects the working group, the subcommittee. I'll just give a highlight of the three items.

If you look at item number 5 and item number 12 which are related, I'll just simply speak about it. There is [active] contribution of At-Large to a coordinated ICANN strategy for outreach and engagement whereby there are missed opportunities for coordination with other constituencies and ICANN staff.

When it comes to the review item number 10, there are multiple communication channels that are used by ALAC and this has led to fractured and [inaudible] communication. We can clearly see that there is already communication that is coming in from capacity building, communication coming in from outreach and engagement, communication coming in from the social media working group, and all other respective different working groups. But with all these channels all pushing out communication, still there is no or limited adequate harmony in communication.

When you come to item number three of the review, there is need for a more systematic RALO [inaudible] in regional events. These kinds of [inaudible] over the previous years, the RALO co-chairs have been devoting their respective strategies and they target regional events regarding CROP using the CROP slots. So the CROP slots were slashed down from five to three to be able to attend some of these regional events. But still, they came in with new CROP guidelines and regulations. So how are we going to be able to harmonize and work together with staff and the GSE staff to make sure that we have at least a better outreach and engagement?

Then item number 16, we have the need to report the impact of outreach and engagement activities. So what is the main challenge that

this strategy hopes to solve? The respective of the engagement strategies, there is lack of [agreed] strategy that has [inaudible] have a global impact measurement. How [are we] able to measure our respective metrics as far as outreach and engagement is concerned?

So this strategy comes as a result of the outcomes of the At-Large review proposal and becomes a good opportunity that we can be able to budget all the other different respective RALO strategies to follow this general strategy.

Still, this strategy is still in draft mode and we are going to open it up for comments and add in some structures for the next couple of two weeks.

So the action point from this call is that for the next two weeks, it's going to be open for comments, feedback, what you need to add in and what has to be [edited] out, [inaudible] adjustment before we post the final strategy onto the Wiki. So, once it goes into the Wiki, we are going to have another discussion together with the GSE staff, the CROP staff, and the staff At-Large, to be able to see how best we can be able to maximize the impact of outreach and engagement.

Still, I will just simply speak briefly about outreach and engagement. There are mainly two things. There's the outreach that happens, and then there's the engagement. If you look at the graph, the [organogram] graph, look at there's a breakdown between how do we outreach and then how do we engage.

Over the previous years, we have succeeded so much in doing a lot of outreach in our respective regions, but the question comes [in this]:

how are we engaging? How are we getting different members to be able to participate in the [strategic] policy development processes?

So this [organogram] will keep on growing as to show where best we can be able to fit, to be able to maximize our input as far as respective policies are concerned, respective regional events [inaudible], what are we outreaching to, who is our key target. And all this will come into [inaudible] as we keep on growing over the respective FY.

So when it comes to engagement, with a lot of [success] still, this [bit] can be broken out into two. Getting new members to be able to participate in this PDP and then how do we engage with the already [all] member, for example our ALSes? So with the engagement strategy as it will be built on, we should be able to see how we can be able to have substantial input into the policy development. That is a brief about the outreach.

I'm going to request that the documentation on the respective comments can be able to come in for the next couple of two weeks, that's approximately 14 days. Within the next 14 days, I think we shall be reviewing the respective comments and then also request for a call to discuss all this.

I'm seeing Tijani's hand up and Glenn's hand up. Tijani, you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much, Daniel. Do you hear me any better now? Daniel, I'd like to speak about item number three first. I don't see the meaning

of CROP GSE and CROP Staff. It is a “Discussion on CROP GSE and CROP Staff.” I didn’t understand what is it about.

Now, about the strategy, I think that the link should be on the agenda. Heidi already put it on the chat, but when you spoke about it nobody could see it. So now Heidi thankfully put it on the chat.

Thank you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

Thank you very much, Tijani. About the discussion on CROP, [inaudible] was able to ask or make clarifications or questions or queries regarding to CROP and a page was posted, but we did not get any questions that would require the staff to comment [from that point of view]. Then when it comes to strategy, the strategy is shared. We can be able to contribute respectively.

Glenn, you have the floor.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes, hi. I’m just pasting in some of the items taken right out of the At-Large review. Not every item in the review is applicable to outreach and engagement, but there are five or six items in particular that we need to be conscious of because they identify the issues that are in outreach and engagement.

I guess what I need for clarification is, what are our timelines? I know Cheryl did a presentation last Monday for NARALO. I’m sorry, Cheryl, I may have missed that. But in order to implement some of these fixes

that we expect to do on the items reviewed, what are our timelines in order to implement many of these changes that we anticipate?

That's it for me.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Do you want me to answer that?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, that would be great, Cheryl. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks, Glenn. I was waiting for Daniel to tell me to do so, but I shall jump in and do it anyway.

Glenn, first of all, we will be running our implementation plan under project management guidelines based on the cheapest and easiest things being done first. So once the fixes are discussed and agreed upon, we'll then have to go through the process with ICANN staff and ICANN.org to look at the full budget effects and estimates of anything we want to implement.

Now there are possibly some things in what we'll be doing in outreach and engagement which will be not terribly expensive and easy to do, and we should be looking at the 3 to 6 month line. The others will have to come in, in a 6 to 12 month or 12 and beyond.

That's sort of a non-answer for you, but the answer is that's the guideline we have to follow under the board resolution. Now we have

to also report our first planning report within six months of the 23 July board resolution. So we're already 23 August and our first meeting, I believe, of the working group will be some time this week. So we'll be coming back to the outreach and engagement committee asking for specifics fairly shortly. So this two-week feedback time that Daniel has outlined seems to me to fit fairly well, providing we then in this subcommittee keep on that getting toward recommendations and getting back to us in the implementation working group fairly quickly.

Sorry about the length of that answer, but that's the best I can do at this time. Thanks.

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

Thank you very much for that insight. Are there any questions still regarding to the strategy? Okay, as I see no questions, the commenting period for this is going to be for the next two weeks. Then we shall come up with a final draft that we shall have to share together with staff, CROP, GSE to be able to harmonize all [to fill up] this strategy. So this is going to be the first step. Oh, Tijani, you have your hand up. You have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Daniel. I'd like to ask you how the technology taskforce could be under engagement.

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

One thing about technology taskforce is the TTF reviews the respective tools that can be used, especially when it comes to [inaudible]. When it

comes to the challenges that are experienced during the call, the TTF comes in and gives specific advice for [inaudible]. I'd say that's probably something through engagement, to review the engagement [tools] of the engagement. Apart from that – Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: In my opinion, Daniel, the TTF working group gives tools for us. So there are a lot of other tools that we are using also. So it is not engagement. It is only tools for our work. This is my opinion anyway. Thank you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Tijani, for that. I see [Dev] has also posted something regarding to the TTF. I think we shall review that when it comes to the strategy.

Allow me to proceed to the next item on the agenda: the "RALO Presentation of Outreach Strategies." Despite the fact that we've got new co-chairs for the different respective RALOs, some of them [could] be having their strategies ready and some of them [might] be having their strategies ready. I'll start with AFRALO. Fatimata, you have the floor. Fatimata?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Otherwise, I can [speak]. Daniel, shall I speak?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Yeah, sure. Tijani, you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you very much. As far as AFRALO, we have already a draft prepared. The chair is now [inaudible] it, and I cannot speak about this since it is not yet sent to the list. So we will update you on it when it is [inaudible]. Thank you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Tijani, for that. As I can see, there are only two RALOs that have their strategy ready. That is, EURALO and NARALO. Can we hear about the EURALO strategy? Okay, it seems to me [inaudible] that is coming in.

I can see the chat. [Maritza] is asking: "What is the deadline for completing the RALO strategy?" Since we are having the new co-chairs, we are going to [inaudible] at least to the next one week to have at least the strategies ready because we are already behind schedule. But for the RALOs that have their strategies ready, I'll ask them to at least give a [report] about their respective strategies.

Tijani, is that an old hand or a new hand?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, Daniel, I think that the deadline, we cannot speak about deadlines because if we don't have the strategy ready, we will not be able to apply for the CROP slots. So the deadline is [coming] and we have to do it as soon as possible. That's all. Thank you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

Thank you very much, Tijani, for that insight. That is one of the conditions that satisfies the use of the CROP slots. That is why I'm giving at least one week to have the strategies ready because already we have NARALO with [an already completed] strategy and they [are expected] to apply for their respective trips within the region.

Glenn, could you speak [about] your NARALO strategy? Thank you. Glenn, you have the floor.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Sure. Hi, it's Glenn McKnight, NARALO co-chair. Let me fill you in on our approach. It was two part in the strategy. One was [due] to the three CROP – as you know, it went from five to three – so we met with the Joe Capitano with the GSE to go over each of the trips. And our VP Chris Mondini also reviewed our proposal. So we had their endorsement. But we also have a working group, outreach and engagement group, within NARALO which we asked the members and our chair to comment as well. So that was a fairly easy process the we implemented in getting public and community feedback. That was number one.

So we submitted it and they approved it. Our plan was a little longer because it also talked about the discretionary funds, the \$4,000, so our document we shared with the community. Then you have to cut and paste it into the section which is now actually live. And then the next process is making sure that your GSE signs it off.

So right now, we're in a process and we have good timelines for our first CROP trip, which will be the ARIN trip in Vancouver. We have a process we've put into place of people competing for the opportunity. That

deadline is tomorrow for the first CROP trip. Then we have three assigned to assess the merit of the proposal. So we're on target and more than happy to share our document with anyone who is interested. Thank you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Glenn, for that update about NARALO. Could you please confirm, Glenn, whether you've started applying for the respective CROP trips?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry, repeat that again, Daniel. I didn't understand it.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: I'm asking, Glenn, whether you've started applying for utilizing the CROP trips or whether there are any applications that are in queue for the CROP trips.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, the first one is October, the first CROP trip. The other two trips is the second RIR trip in April and the Digital Inclusion Conference in April as well. So those are the three that we identified. We do not have an ICANN meeting in our region, so we had to go through the process of making sure that our GSE approved the trips that we were doing. If there were ICANN meetings, it would be very logical and they would take priority. But, yeah, we had to go through the process of getting approval first.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much for that update, Glenn. Ali AlMeshal, you have your hand up. Thank you. You have the floor.

ALI ALMESHAL: Thank you very much, Daniel. The APRALO strategy is ready, but it seems there is some communication [that was] supposed to be sent to the staff. But I'll just give you a quick update about our strategy.

Here is a good list of what we have done in the past or what things that we have participated in previously for the last fiscal year and what we'll be doing in this coming.

A part of what has been done before, the three CROPs have been already planned for. So as per the new CROP guidelines as to allocate one of these CROP to attend the ICANN meeting, so one of them will be in Kobe in Japan to attend that. Then we have another participation. There is an outreach event that will be organized with the APAC GSE for Vietnam. And the other one might be used for APRICOT in 2019. This has not been yet finalized, but part of our participation in the CROP is in the outreach itself.

We have Maureen Hilyard which she had participated in the APriGF, which recently I think has just finished. We are planning for the APriGF in 2019 as well, but that one will be in July, which is after the FY18-19 and starting out 2019 which is a very much challenging period which is July. So we are listing it part of the CROP just to make sure if we can use that one.

We are utilizing the discretionary fund as well for a number of other events like participating in APriGF. And we have put that if the submitted workshop to the global IGF in Paris has been accepted, the workshop that Satish has sent, we might use part of that. I have submitted another IGF workshop, but mine was not accepted. So I'm not so sure about the one with Satish. If that one gets accepted, there is a possibility of seeing this discretionary fund can be used for that.

We have, again, from last year there was a plan to attend Bangkok to do an outreach, and we have allocated one CROP from last year but at the last minute for some unforeseen reason this was cancelled. So the APAC GSE have allocated the funds to replace that for us, and that will be used either in Bangladesh or in Myanmar to do some outreach activity and event because in Myanmar we don't any ALSes there. As per the guidelines from our GSE, we need to do some more work in this area, either in Bangladesh or in Myanmar.

Some more regional events that we have booked part of our outreach that might happen within the regional area: we have Middle East DNS Forum. We have Arab IGF and again the APriGF. We have the Asia Pacific IGA and the Asia Pacific School of Internet Governance, which we have a number of [schools on them] like Afghanistan, Armenia, Bangladesh, and a number of these events.

So as you can see, we have a lot of activities that require participation from the APRALO leadership team, ALSes, and members of the APRALO. That's just a quick one, and the floor back to you, Daniel. Daniel?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: [inaudible] of our strategy.

ALI ALMESHAL: Hello?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Can you hear me?

ALI ALMESHAL: Yes, Daniel.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Yeah, thank you very much for that update. I'm going to proceed to hear an update from EURALO regarding to their strategy. Okay, it seems there is no [update] available from EURALO. I'll ask to proceed to the next item on the agenda.

Preparations are going on for ICANN 63 that is coming up. I'm going to ask Glenn to give us an update about the ICANN 63 booth. Glenn, you have the floor. Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I'm sorry about that.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Glenn, hold on. I'm seeing Matthias wants to take the floor, but it seems we can't be able to hear him. Matthias? It seems he's having [inaudible]

audio. In case his audio gets rectified, then we shall come back to you, Matthias. Glenn, please proceed with an update about the ICANN 63 booth.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, as you see in the agenda, we have a sign-up sheet. We really encourage you even though some of you or most of you are not part of EURALO, we do appreciate a chance for you to come out and support the booth. The times that are very active are going to be during the breaks or coffee or lunch, which you're on as well. So it's a great place to meet other people, so please take the opportunity to sign up.

I don't see anyone from EURALO here to talk about it more specifically, but again I've produced a collection of photos of EURALO personalities. So just like we did for the LACRALO booth in Panama, we had a rotating television screen – not a rotating television screen – but rotating pictures on a screen where you could actually your favorite characters. So there should be – I talked to staff about a wide variety of brochures as well to be at the booth.

But that's really all I have. So I'm assuming, and staff can verify, that we do have a spot at the location. And I assume EURALO is thinking responsibility for the booth, but I'm more than happy to volunteer and I encourage anyone on this committee that's going to Barcelona to volunteer as well. Thank you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Glenn, for that update. I would like to reiterate what Glenn has said as I have been with Glenn on various booths. It's a very good experience to be able to share knowledge. I encourage the members to be able to volunteer during this booth because we have many newcomers coming in making inquiries [inaudible].

Still on the issue of the booth, Glenn, could you please continue and give us an update about the [inaudible].

MATTHIAS HUDOBNIK: Hello? Can you hear me now?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Oh, we've got [feedback]. We [can't] be able to hear you. You can take the floor. Then after you, Glenn can be able to proceed with the update about the IGF. Matthias, you have the floor.

MATTHIAS HUDOBNIK: Hello, everybody. Sorry. I had some problems with the connection. Okay, here Matthias Hudobnik from EURALO. I will give you a brief summary about our expected activities and outcomes.

First of all, the ICANN 63 meeting in Barcelona where we will be running a three-hour joint outreach event in the Non-commercial Stakeholder Group, which will include a deep discussion and debating about many of ICANN's current policy topics. The format and topics for the session are currently being worked on.

Then the first thing is the Internet governance week in Brussels. We do not yet know the exact dates for the [edition] in 2019, but it's [safe] to say this is likely to be equally as interesting and significant as the [2018 edition]. So we are expecting there to [inaudible] a CROP slot, but it will be maybe unlikely that we would have [one for this].

The next thing is the Eastern European DNS forum it will be in November 2018 in Moscow. At the present, we [inaudible] CROP slot, but it is most unlikely we will have a CROP slot for this one.

The next thing is the CDPD conference in Brussels. The expected date is from 13 January 2019 until 1 February 2019. We are trying to check regional VP if this would be an ICANN supported meeting as well and if it would fit the criteria for the CROP.

The next thing is the EuroSSIG summer school, which is also a very good and important outreach opportunity. EURALO has never asked for CROP slots for this event. We are planning to do that. It's a good opportunity also to perform outreach funded from another source, and it's a very good chance. For example, I also attended this summer school in 2017 and three other members which are also now members of EURALO and individual users organizations. So I think it's a very good opportunity maybe to use this summer school for getting new members as well.

The next thing is the re:publica. It's one of the biggest events regarding Internet and privacy. It's held from 6-8 May. We also might ask for a CROP slot there. I was there this year, and it was a very [inaudible] conference where a lot of people from different regions and also different fields attend, from law people to civil society, a lot of young

people as well. I think there's a very good chance maybe to have a booth there with some ICANN regional VPs and do some outreach there. I think especially for individual users, it should be a very good chance of attracting new members which are interested in Internet governance and policy work as well.

Then the next point is EuroDIG 2019. It will be held on 18-20 June in The Hague. EURALO is also likely to ask for a limited number of CROP slots for this event, but this will take place in The Hague as I mentioned, so we will have maybe also the chance to get some people attending even if they are not able to get funding. Maybe by train, it's not that far away, and very good and reachable. But we will consider limited CROP slots to the same or less than the last year. So two people max, maybe one preferred.

Then the SEEDIG 2019 is likely to be in June. The location is unknown. We also might consider a CROP slot for this event, but we will see if this is possible.

Last but not least, the RightsCon in North Africa this year. It was in Tunisia. So this year it was in [inaudible]. Maybe we [have posted] a possibility to send someone there. We will monitor for the right conferences. Maybe we will find some conferences which will take place in Europe and will maybe have [inaudible] in the last CROP.

This was a brief summary from our outreach planning for 2019. Thank you very much.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Matthias. I see Heidi has been having her hand up. Heidi, could you please take the floor? Heidi, you have the floor.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Oh, thank you. Sorry. I'm on mute here. Thank you. I just wanted to let everyone know that for ICANN 63, At-Large EURALO will be getting a table with a chair. You'll see I've put into the chat all of the equipment that you're going to be getting. It's a 6-foot table with skirt, two chairs, a power connection, a screen monitor, a presentation laptop, a laptop stand, a trash can, and a pull-up banner. That's going to likely be the EURALO pull-up banner – pop-up banner as we call it. So you will be well provided for in Barcelona. So the next step is just to ensure that we do have a full volunteer sign-up sheet or sign-up sheets so that will be always manned. Thank you so much.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Heidi, for that update. Glenn, could you please give us an update about the IGF booth?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sure. I just want to – since Heidi was just talking about the booth in Barcelona which is first – we just need a table. A sign up sheet [is] on that link that we provided. Also, I just noticed that Heidi confirmed that At-Large pin. Recall they're nice square pins or rectangle pins that we'll have.

Okay so quickly, we were on a waiting list. [inaudible] put us on the waiting list on our booth. But she knew we had such a fantastic booth

and very active and well personnel equipped at that event, and we also gave away power converters – thank you to EURALO for that – so we did very, very well last year at the IGF. So we hope to replicate the same kind of activity.

It's not an ICANN booth. It's an At-Large ALS booth. We are also sharing the booth with ISOC chapters. So we hope to have people from both sides of the fence helping out. And so I was told that we should have our literature from each of the RALOs as well.

So, again, we need to know who is going. We've been asking this repeatedly. I put on the list of what speakers. I'm not sure if those same people are still going, so we need to find out. Tijani and myself are the only two that have put our names down so far in the sign up booth, so please take a look. Again, if you're not going to a session, not presenting a session, or you have some free time and you are going to the IGF Paris, please sign up. Thank you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

Thank you very much, Glenn. Just from the previous IGF, [there are] very good statistics that happened to be registered, especially on the visitors who were attending the booth. [There was a] registration sheet whereby the visitors would happen to write their names and follow up with them. Could you please update whether they have an update about the respective [leads] [inaudible]? How many chose to join At-Large or [inaudible].

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, I have no idea.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: [inaudible] or any ALSes that came out of [inaudible].

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, there were 167 people that signed up for the sheets. I can't speak for the other RALOs, but I know that Thomas [Strutt] was one of the ones that joined us as a result of the outreach. That was it. It wasn't in our region, so we had very, very few people that came to the booth. But everybody got copies. Everything was input into a spreadsheet. Each of the RALOs had the leads to follow up, besides my observation from our own RALO. But we had no literature from LACRALO, so that was unfortunate. But to be honest, Daniel, I cannot give you any status report of the other RALOs on follow up.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Glenn, on that. Tijani, your hand is up. You have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, Daniel. Glenn, may I ask you if we can know or we can [inaudible] the position our booth will have in the village? Because last year one of the most important factors of success was the position of our booth, and I think that this year if we can push [inaudible] having it in a good position, it will be really helpful for us. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you, Tijani, for the question. And you're thinking just like me. I contacted [inaudible]. I wanted a village map. I wanted to know where we were located. I campaigned to her that we'll have a very active booth, very attractive and very appealing. So I've been selling her on the virtues of why we need a very important spot. So I'm working on her, but she has not issued to me yet the exact spot where we will be.

The last thing we want, as Tijani has said, somewhere way in the back that nobody goes to. So it was one of the very first booths as you entered into the village. So we will cross our fingers, but I'm working on that.

As soon as I find out, then I can put it into our flyer, which I want to have a list of all the sessions and which room numbers as well, which we don't have yet. We just have our workshop number, the title, and who is speaking. So that's a little flyer I'll be producing and distributing and working with [Evin] on the social media to showcase and encourage people to come to our sessions. So thanks again, Tijani, for the question.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much for that update. The reason as to why I brought up that discussion was here at the IGF we are conducting outreach. But the fact that after the outreach, how do we go to the next level of engagement? When we begin to engage these people, then we can

begin to see them participating in the respective processes or policy development processes.

Apart from that, let's proceed to item number seven from the agenda. That is an update about the At-Large sessions, that will be [the joint] "NCSG and At-Large Sessions at ICANN 63." Olivier, you have the floor. Is Olivier on the call?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm sorry. It appears we have just lost Olivier. One moment please.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: He is on the Adobe Connect.

HEIDI ULLRICH: It appears his call dropped. The operator is redialing to him right now. One moment please.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Hello?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Hello, Olivier. You have the floor [inaudible].

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Daniel. And sorry about this. Instead of unmuting, I pressed the red button, and the red button was the end of the call. So I apologize for that.

Now the NCSG and At-Large, well and EURALO, have been working together on two things. First, an agenda, which is what we always work on together, and we still haven't finalized it. The second thing was to look at the format of what we were going to do. And it looks as though we'll have either a session that will span both sides of a lunch or a session that will span an afternoon. So you're talking about two times 90 minutes and with a cocktail at the end of it.

Unfortunately, our additional budget request that was asked for this session was refused. But we appear to through some magical occurrences in EURALO have a little bit of money to be able to have either a cocktail or a funded lunch or something.

So it would be two times 90 minutes. The format would be more of a townhall fashion on this occasion. So what we might have is to have a topic, two people to speak about a topic and debate about a topic for like five minutes, and then to bring everyone else in the conversation. The whole idea is always policy topics, effectively.

So we're looking forward to it. It will be a little bit different from the previous time. We are trying to find a suitable time for this. And, Gisella – I don't know if Gisella is on the call – but I think we might be able to do it on the Saturday because the Sunday looks as though it's very busy with the GNSO Council having lots of meetings and so on. So I believe it

would be that we would have this on the Saturday. I might be totally wrong.

And that's basically it. We're quite excited about it. I'm speaking to Alan and to At-Large staff so as to be able to have as many ALAC being present for at least half of the two 90-minute slots. So maybe the first 90 minutes or maybe the second part of the 90 minutes, depending on whether we have a lunchtime (before and after lunch) or a late afternoon double slot. That's all I can say for the time being, and I'm open to any questions, of course. Thank you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

Thank you very much, Olivier, for that. One thing I know that joint session is one of the very important thing that team members [happen] to attend. How are you [taking] into consideration the numbers that are coming into that call? Because the last time, the room was super packed. It was really full.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Yeah, thanks for this, Daniel. That's a very, very good point. This is why we're working with Gisella on this and with the meeting staff so that we have a room that is large enough. As you know, always in those meetings space always comes at a premium. But hopefully Gisella will be able to do the magic and get us a room that is large enough. And hopefully it will be one that we can have for the three hours and not have to move halfway in between. Because as you know, we often lose people halfway in between.

So we have the numbers in mind for at least 100, if not more than 100, people. You're absolutely right. It was so packed last time, it was quite ridiculous. But hopefully there if we're doing it that early, there wouldn't be the same hassle or the same trouble for having all this. So hopefully we'll be able to have enough space then.

But that would be for Saturday the 20th. Now I've just read, by the way, on the chat from Siranush – and thank you for mentioning this – from 10:00-15:00 there will be Newcomers Day, Saturday from 10:00-15:00. So that points to the idea of not having a lunchtime session but maybe having an afternoon session. So therefore Block 4 and Block 5, 15:15-18:30 and with a cocktail afterwards. That might be now – and thanks for mentioning this – that might be our targeted time. Now we just need a room. Thanks.

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

Thank you very much. I can see Tijani's hand up. Tijani, you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Daniel. Thank you, Olivier, for this update. I do congratulate you that you changed the format. The new format you are mentioning is much better. This will give the opportunity to people in the room to speak because in the previous sessions, it was only us speaking and people didn't speak.

Second point, very important, the room – the size of the room. Of course, if we make it a new table, the room will be tight anyway. So in

this case, in this format, we can make it a classroom disposition of the room and the front space for the two people who are discussing before we introduce the subject. I think this will give more places for people to attend the meeting. Thank you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Tijani, for that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: May I respond?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Yeah, please, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Daniel, and thank you, Tijani, for a very good point actually. Indeed, the last room that we were in, most of the people who were from both the ALAC and from the NCUC and NCSG were sitting at the table and the newcomers were sitting in the back. So on this occasion, it's probably going to be better to try and purposely put all the newcomers at the table and all the old-timers and the people that might speak at the back. That could be a way forward. So we all hover around at the back, and they're over in the front.

We're very open to suggestions for this meeting format, and now is the time to make those suggestions. So please make them, and I can certainly forward them to the organizing team. Thank you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Olivier, for that response. In case there is not any other discussion regarding to that, I would like to go on to the next item: “Any Other Business.” In case you have any burning issues that you feel you need to get to the floor, please, I welcome these issues. Yes, Dev, you have the floor.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. I just posted two questions in the CROP [FAQ] that I would like to have passed on to either CROP staff and/or GSE staff to respond to. I can read the questions. I posted them in chat, but the two questions were that:

CROP FY19 [specifies that] proposals can only be for [to an] ICANN public meeting or an official organized meeting [and a list of] upcoming ICANN organized meetings was provided and examples of our ICANN organized meetings in FY18.

The second question is more of a confirmation: Since IGFs, national or regional, aren’t organized by ICANN, an interpretation is that CROP proposal to attend national or regional IGFs are not allowed. Is this so?

So those are the two questions that I hope can be passed on to CROP and the GSE to association. [Thank you].

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Dev, for that question. [inaudible] that some of these questions will be forwarded to the CROP and the GSE staff. And

also as you're drafting the strategy, we shall [inaudible] requesting the GSE staff to be able to update us on which events or which activities that ICANN is organizing such that we can be able to [inaudible] to that. Probably, Heidi, is there something that you would like to say about that? Heidi, would you like to respond to the question?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm sorry, Daniel. I didn't hear that question. Could you repeat that?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Yeah, the question was regarding to the CROP FY19 guidelines. One of the key requirements is that the proposal can be for a trip to an ICANN public meeting or an official ICANN organized meeting. Is there a [joint list] that the GSE is...?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, okay.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Yeah?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, the short answer is not that I'm aware of. But I will certainly forward that to the appropriate CROP and GSE staff. But keep in mind that the requirements for regions that have ICANN meetings is that you need to do at least one CROP trip to the ICANN meeting. And then you work with your GSE vice president to coordinate others. But those

regions that do not have ICANN meetings, then you obviously don't need to go to one and you can, again, coordinate which meetings you are going to go to with your GSE regional VP. Thank you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

Thank you very much, Heidi, for that response. We are at the top of the hour, and we are about to end the call. So the next meeting will be one month from now. That is next month, probably around the same time. I'm going to request staff to send out a Doodle to [inaudible] and be able to have the meeting at least after four weeks.

As we come to the end, I would say that the call is now adjourned. Thank you very much, everyone, for coming to the call.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]