
CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening, everyone. Welcome to the NARALO monthly call on Monday, 10 September 2018, at 19:00 UTC.

On the call today, we have Eduardo Diaz, Glenn McKnight, John Laprise, Adrian Schmidt, Alfredo Calderon, Allan Skuce, George Kirikos, Michael Casadevall, Bill Jouris, Maureen Hilyard, Kristin Doan, and Yubelkys Montalvo also just joined.

We have received apologies from Judith Hellerstein, Susannah Gray, Greg Shatan, Eve Edelson, Alan Greenberg, Javier Rúa-Jovet, León Felipe Sanchez Ambia.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, and myself, Claudia Ruiz on call management.

Before we begin, I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes and to please mute your phones and microphones when not speaking to avoid any background noise. Thank you.

With this, I hand it over to you, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you so much, Claudia. Welcome, everyone, for taking the time to be here today. The first thing on the agenda is if anyone has an objection or wants to add to the agenda, please go ahead with it. Please say it now. Not seeing any hands up....

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

ALFREDO CALDERON: Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes? Go ahead.

ALFREDO CALDERON: I don't recall it in the agenda. You have a spot so I can introduce the North American Fellows?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I do have something. I have in the agenda, the third item for New NARALO Members that are going to introduce themselves. Why don't we do it there?

ALFREDO CALDERON: Okay with me. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, thank you. Is everyone okay with that. Shall we go ahead? Okay, the agenda is approved with a little change that was added.

I just want to say a few remarks from last time [regarding] how I set up the agenda today. Basically, I invited Chris Mondini and Joe Catapano to be part of this conversation every month. So I opened an item in the agenda so they can tell us what is happening in the region from the Global Stakeholder Engagement group. Events, anything that comes to

mind, policy, anything that is happening in ICANN that might affect the region. I invited them to come here and tell us about it.

I believe most of us receive a newsletter from the region which is very informative, but that comes out only once a month just like this call but from that to now there are things that may happen in the meantime and this is an opportunity for all of us to know about what's happening in the region.

I also included another [item] in the meeting that I foresee having a discussion [inaudible]. It has to do with social media. [John Laprise] is heading that working group within ALAC and At-Large. I think that's a very important part for NARALO to get involved with this. I just heard that Alfredo Calderon is going to be one of our points of contact there. [With] a lot of help in using social media to better relate message and be in contact with all of us and Alfredo can talk to us about that in that section with [John Laprise].

We have, in fact, three new individual members that just joined our ranks. One of them is Georg Kirikos. The other one is Joey Doyle. And I just happened to receive another one from Jeremy Pesner. So we will hear from them so they can introduce themselves to the group and so we can have a chance to welcome them.

There are some things that happened with the CROP program. We have some people set to go to Vancouver to the ARIN event, and there was some confusion with the deadlines and guidelines. I'm going to let Glenn cover that over so he can explain what happened and what to do in the future so it doesn't happen again.

So with that in mind, the second item on the agenda is a report by William for the ARIN 41 that happened April this year. I haven't seen William for a while here coming to the NARALO, so I'm going to keep this for a few months until it happens that I don't see him anymore but we will keep it there.

So the next item is for George, and I don't see Joey online and Jeremy, but, George, if you want to introduce yourself to the group please.

GEORGE KIRIKOS:

Hi, everybody. My name is George Kirikos. I've been a longtime participant in ICANN policy going way back until the early 2000s when the Verisign wait list proposal was made and other policies like [site finder] and [inaudible] policies like UDRP and so on.

I've been [using the Internet] for a very long time. Way back, well, I guess when I was in school, we used the Commodore PETs in grade 7. So that got me hooked on computers. I was an early user of bulletin board systems, which obviously then transformed into Internet and AOL and things like that way back in the early 80s.

My company owns about 500 domain names, so that's kind of self-explanatory as to why I've been following ICANN for all these years. We own domain names like math.com and school.com, so very valuable domains that serve millions of users worldwide.

I've known about the At-Large for a long time, but I thought I'd take this opportunity over the summer to join it and hopefully be able to contribute. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, George. Have you been in ICANN face-to-face meetings before?

GEORGE KIRIKOS: No, I've never gone to the face-to-face meetings. I should have probably mentioned in my opening remarks, I do hope to participate in two different PDP working groups at the present time: the IGO PDP with regards to International Governmental Organizations and the RPM PDP which is reviewing the URS, the UDRP, the Trademark Clearinghouse, and all the other different rights protection mechanisms. So I have been deeply involved, although I don't really go to the face-to-face meetings.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, George, you know that we have a policy group within NARALO being led by Jonathan Zuck. I would be very happy if you can join that group because, basically, that group is monitoring the PDPs happening in ICANN. Really that group is not only to monitor them but to make sure that we are aware of them and can bring to the region whatever effects will have in our region. Sometimes they need volunteers to participate in the PDPs for comments and things like that. So if you don't mind, I can send your name to Jonathan and participate with his working group and report here in the meeting whenever you're available. It doesn't have to be online. It can be offline. So you're very welcome to the group, George. Anything else you want to add?

GEORGE KIRIKOS: No, that's it. Thanks for allowing me to introduce myself. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, George. Thank you so much, and thank you for considering NARALO and being a member. New members, I don't see Joey or Jeremy but, Alfredo, please go ahead and [inaudible].

ALFREDO CALDERON: Yes. As some of you might be aware of, for ICANN 63 I was selected as a Fellow and a coach and I invited two of my mentees to participate in this meeting since they are from the North American region. So I'll have them introduce themselves, starting off with Michael. Michael, go ahead, and then, Janos, introduce yourself. Thank you.

MICHAEL CASADEVALL: Hello. I'm Michael Casadevall. I'm a Fellow for ICANN 63, and I previously attended the tail end of ICANN 61. I'm an individual user. I'm not representing anyone but myself. I've been working in technology professionally over ten years and for as long as I can remember. I've had an interest in getting involved with ICANN when I heard about the KSK rollover. Then that expanded into wanting to help draft policy for the gTLDs. As such, I joined the policy drafting working group, and I may also apply to join Track 5 in the near future.

ALFREDO CALDERON: Janos, do you want to introduce yourself? Janos, go ahead.

JANOS SZURDI: Can you hear me now?

ALFREDO CALDERON: Yes, we can.

JANOS SZURDI: [inaudible] This is my first ICANN-related meeting. My interest is....

ALFREDO CALDERON: Sorry, Janos, but we cannot hear you. You're volume is too low.

JANOS SZURDI: Can you hear me better now.

ALFREDO CALDERON: Better now.

JANOS SZURDI: Let me know if it's too loud. Just repeating myself, this is my first ICANN-related meeting. My interest is due to my Ph.D. which is on domain registration abuses. Especially, I had some research on typosquatting. Therefore, I am interested in domain registration related policies and in general everything related to DNS.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Alfredo, is there anyone in the group that may have any questions for them? Janos, I think you have an echo on your line. You should mute your microphone. Okay, any questions for Janos or Michael?

If not, for those of us that are going to be in the next face-to-face meeting in Barcelona, Alfredo, make sure you bring them and to use Michael and Janos to [inaudible] the NARALO members there. There will be a few of us there, so we can meet personally. Welcome to ICANN. I hope your experience within the face-to-face ICANN meeting will be very good and you will be able to continue participating within ICANN here or anywhere else. So thank you so much, Alfredo. Alfredo, you wanted to say something?

ALFREDO CALDERON: Glenn has his hand up and so do I.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Oops! I don't see yours but, Glenn, please go ahead. I don't see yours, Alfredo.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, thank you. Thank you, Alfredo. A couple of things. I welcome our Fellows. Don't forget we do have a [EURALO] At-Large outreach table in Barcelona, so we do have a sign up for the table online. I'll send you both the list of what times you can possibly volunteer at the booth. It's a good chance for you to meet other people across the ecosystem, so please we try to encourage you when you have some time also to attend our sessions. I welcome you to the group.

I just want to mention that, Alfredo, [Francisco Rosario] is online. Is [she] also a Fellow?

ALFREDO CALDERON: Not that I recall. I actually don't know if [she's] from our region. I do have [inaudible] that's from LACRALO also, so I don't know if she is.

[EDUARDO DIAZ]: I can talk about Francisco. I met him in ICANN here in Puerto Rico and he's very interested in the work that we do. Francisco, if you want to say a few words. I don't think you are an individual member yet, but I think you're applying for it, right? I guess you're muted, Francisco, if you're talking. In any case, Alfredo, go ahead. You have your hand up.

ALFREDO CALDERON: Yes. Glenn basically said what I was going to mention about the [EURALO] sign up sheet and probably a booth with [EURALO]. The other thing is that the Fellows have their Fellows booth where they are expected also to visit frequently when they have a chance to get to know people that are alumni from the Fellowship program. Hopefully, I'll be around there a couple of times.

The Fellows, as this is the General Assembly meeting, they have a schedule of mandatory sessions where they have to participate. But besides that, I hope to get engaged Janos and Michael in At-Large sessions as well as other sessions that they are interested in. Thanks.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Alfredo. Any other questions? Any questions for anyone?

If not, Chris and Joe, tell us what's happening. Either of you, tell us what is happening in the region and anything else you want to address the group for. Thank you.

CHRIS MONDINI: Hi. Can you hear me? Do you hear me?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, we can hear you.

CHRIS MONDINI: Oh, great. Hi. I just will be very brief. I wanted to say thank you very much for including Joe and me on the call, and we'd love to be a regular fixture on the call. As always, we are executing against the North America regional engagement plan that you and others across the ICANN community helped with. You might remember that two of the three recommendations there were 1) to foster and work through partners and 2) to focus on issue-based engagement.

With that in mind, this week we have a roundtable at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. It's on a lot of ICANN strategic planning reviews and the GDPR. That's in Washington, DC. We have members of the executive team, Theresa Swinehart among them, here in Washington. That is the partner organization that we use for business engagement.

We are also working with two universities, the University of California in Los Angeles and also Arizona State University and also the University of Colorado, to work on ways that we could possibly exchange academic credit for students who participate in policy development processes or have some other ICANN policy development advancing role. So we are talking to them actively.

On the issue-based engagement, of course, GDPR tends to be a continuing source of content that we send out on social media. And as I said, I believe it's going to be a big part of the Chamber of Commerce event.

We have the issue of increasing legislation around the world in ways that affect the domain name system. So I'll be approaching you at some point for any of you that have a particular interest in keeping an eye out for legislation wherever you may live that might affect the domain name system or ICANN's remit. That's something that we're working with ICANN org and other organizations around the world to track.

We're trying to get the word out on there is a public policy process that's trying to be informed by a survey. The survey is by trademark owners and people who register during Sunrise or trademark claims. You probably have seen tweets and e-mails on that but if you haven't, we'll get that out in the chat so you can spread the word to get people who are trademark holders or even domain name registrants to respond on how these rights protection mechanisms are working.

Then, of course, readouts and pre-meetings – we are going to be trying to more closely link what the policy team does before the Barcelona

meeting with the readouts that so many of you help with after the ICANN meeting.

That's just a few of the engagement activities across the gamut. I am happy to take questions, or I can respond to some of the things in the chat.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Chris. I do have a question. That event that is happening in DC, is that open to anyone interested in going?

CHRIS MONDINI:

No. We sent out just for – we did business engagement invitations. That was actually the U.S. Chamber of Commerce invited their members and invited all of the business organizations. But we'll be taking notes of the discussion, and we'll be making them available. So it's not a closed-door meeting in any way. It's on the record, but it's just a presentation that's in the category of business.

There was supposed to be today a communitywide webinar all about GDPR with a Q&A on GDPR, and that was really going to set off, be the anchor event for a series of outreach and engagement events to At-Large and civil society and business and all the stakeholder categories. But because they cancelled that at the last minute, we had already planned the U.S. Chamber event at their headquarters, so no.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, and then I'm sorry. I have another question or comment. These other things that you're doing with the universities which sounds very interesting with the California and Los Angeles and this one in Colorado [of trying to get] credit to do PDP work or [similar stuff], I have Yubelkys Montalvo online. She is from the Hispanic – Alfredo, help me here – Hispanic....

CHRIS MONDINI: Yes, I know them well.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I'm not sure if you [read] this online if one of these universities follows that consortium that she directs. I don't know, Yubelkys, if you can hear me and can comment on that. Well, in any case, the other thing that occurred to me is I see that David Morar is online. David, I don't remember which university you are, but I know you created specifically [inaudible] had to do with students. Can you see anything that might be of interest to your group to develop in your university or in other places based on what Chris said about developing courses or projects that would provide credit? [inaudible] David, if you can comment on that, [inaudible].

YUBELKYS MONTALVO: Eduardo, can you hear me?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Now I can hear you, Yubelkys. Okay, let's hear Yubelkys.

YUBELKYS MONTALVO: Okay, yeah. Yes, I'm very interested in the initiative for universities. In the United States, we have several from California, the California State University at Los Angeles. Actually, I worked there a week ago [inaudible]. I don't know if this is the one that Chris is referring to because in California there are several. But please let me know because I'm really interested in [extending] this initiative to others, including our members. So please let me know.

CHRIS MONDINI: Okay, sure. This is CHRIS MONDINI:, Yubelkys. Thank you very much for the comment. It's still very early days. We're going back and forth with deciding the right faculty. And as you know better than I, universities all have their own rules. And I'm certainly aware of what David has been doing with the ASU and others. I don't think it's ready for much broader. I will absolutely include as many of you as possible as soon as we have a couple of outlines for a pilot to discuss, but I don't even think we're that far yet. So I wanted to let you know that it's coming, but it's not really ready for newsletters or wide distribution. But anybody who is interested that's on this list, please let me know, and Joe and I will be sure to do an update to this group regularly or we can use this call to do that.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, so I'm pretty sure Yubelkys – hello? [inaudible] Yubelkys.

YUBELKYS MONTALVO: Can you hear me?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, but it's very low.

YUBELKYS MONTALVO: Okay, can you hear me better now?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Too low.

YUBELKYS MONTALVO: Okay, I was about to tell Chris that my contact at the California State University Los Angeles is the provost. In case you need any support on that, please let me know if this is the one you're working with. Okay?

CHRIS MONDINI: Oh, fantastic. Okay, thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: That's what I was going to say. Yubelkys, you can help Chris in making the contacts with the different universities because you do really have the contacts at these universities. And maybe, Chris, you can use [inaudible] to see what other universities are interested in doing this and expedite something like this because I think it's a great idea. I mean, that's a great idea.

CHRIS MONDINI: Yeah, great. Okay, thank you both, and we'll keep you updated.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Anything else in relation to what Chris said? If not, let's move to the next item, Social Media Update Report. John please. I know you wrote a couple lines about this in [AFRALO] so if you want to add to your....

DAVID MORAR: Can you hear me?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, we can hear you. Go ahead.

DAVID MORAR: Sorry. Thank you. I just wanted to quickly say that I think these are amazing opportunities. I think that's what interesting is that NAGS, our ALS, is working more on the student side; whereas, this is working more on the administration side. So I think that together they can be very useful for a complete look at how to engage the educational part. I think there's a lot of growth to be had, and I think that there's a lot of opportunity on both the institutional side and on the student side. The more we can work together is great, and maybe other areas, not just North America, can take from this type of work and help students in other places too. I just wanted to say we're slowly doing some work,

and I think that once we interface with a lot more people we're going to have some cool new people joining NARALO and At-Large and ICANN in general. So thank you very much.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay, thank you, David. In fact, let's open an action item here so we don't forget this and have Yubelkys and David and Chris and Joe talk about what we were talking about, this thing about getting universities to provide credit for things that ICANN can use like policy process answer so forth. I think that's a great idea. Thank you for doing that, Chris and David and Yubelkys.

I was jumping now to the social media. Alfredo or John, either of you if you want to take the lead and tell us about Social Media Working Group and what is happening there. John please?

JOHN LAPRISE:

Yes, thank you. We had a very productive meeting this morning. We have actually at least five new action items. We'll be opening up a Slack channel to coordinate all the regional working groups.

The thing I guess at this point we're really looking from NARALO as some additional volunteers from the community to be on point if NARALO-related social media. As I put in the chat, if you're interested, please contact me or one of the staff on this call or Evin. And we'll put your name in the hat, and we'll get busy. We have a lot of work to do. Thank you.

ALFREDO CALDERON:

John, I will let you go now, but I have a question for you, John. You have a working group that is doing social media strategies and tactics for At-Large. What's the result of that work in relation to NARALO? Is it something that – is it a message that is going to be sent out that would be the same message across all the RALOs? This is going to be by region? What type of messages? Are we talking about outreach? Are we talking about doing policy? Are we doing educational things like the KSK key rollover and things like that? And if you can give us a sense of what the timeline that you are talking about is, I think Susannah and Alfredo are our main points of contact. I am pretty sure between the two of them and whoever else is interested in working in social media will lead the group here in NARALO so that we can make sure that whatever you set up as a working group with At-Large we can deliver here in our regions. John?

JOHN LAPRISE:

Right. So, again, Susannah and Alfredo will be on point here in North America as well as any volunteers. The design of the social media strategy is really to be responsive to the needs of the different regions. So, the NARALO reps in concert with the [overall] working group, we will be developing what kind of content they want to share, what they feel is appropriate for the NARALO communities because the same goals and strategies may not be applicable broadly across all regions.

Now, in terms of what we're looking for, there's two primary audiences we're looking for. One are those people who are already involved and we want to get them more involved, so we can participate in working groups, get them to participate in policy. Then, also, those people who

either stumble into us or are referred to us and to provide information and get them more interested and get them involved. So, there is an outreach component, but there's also sort of an enrichment component of getting people more active in ICANN and in At-Large. Does that answer your question?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. Alfredo, please. You have your hand up.

ALFREDO CALDERON: Yes. Following up on what John just explained and mentioned for the strategy that was planning on using, I wanted to request or ask Eduardo if it's possible to have an action item where we, as NARALO, can make a list of all the hashtags of all the ALSes that we have in our region so that we can monitor what activities they are doing, I and Susannah, as the social media leaders, can funnel that information so that At-Large can have access to it in a timely formal manner. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Alfredo, when you mention hashtags from ALSes, are you including individual members here, too? Because some of the individual members [inaudible], too.

ALFREDO CALDERON: Yes, I am.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. So, how are you planning to do this? Are you planning to use the mailing list to gather this or what? Have you decided that?

ALFREDO CALDERON: Well, I don't know if staff can help us out with that. We can probably do it to the mailing list and just mention that if you hashtag or the address of Facebook for that organization or for that individual.

The thing is that this morning we were discussing that. Things are going on and we're not sure that they are going on because we learn about them afterwards.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Well, the action item is on, so if you finish ... Yes, okay, John, please you have your hand up.

JOHN LAPRISE: Thank you. So, I'd like to build off of Alfredo's comment and that is initially we are looking for hashtags, not handles, and that's with respect to Twitter and those platforms that use hashtags. We will be using the hashtag #NARALO often now for NARALO-related content. In terms of sharing, in many cases, the hashtags are more useful for monitoring than the handles are. As we envision it, we'll be using Twitter features like lists to keep track of all these and we're keeping a master spreadsheet which will be shared around in a Slack working group we're forming that will include all of the leaders from the different RALOs, sort of coordinate and share content. At the top level, at the At-Large level, Evan and I and the rest of the top-level team will be looking to a global

content and that's what will go out on the global channel. But, think of it as having thought channels plus a top-level channel. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, John. Glenn, it just occurred to me that we can add some of these Twitter messages to the [inaudible], some of the most important ones, maybe four or five. Once we get the hashtags and [inaudible] newsletter [inaudible] we think it's important that people can read and see [inaudible] what is happening in NARALO.

So, I've taken John and Alfredo. Next is Glenn with the outreach group, please. Glenn, you have the floor.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Sure. Thank you, Eduardo. I'm one of the people assigned as the co-chairs with the Outreach and Engagement Committee. So, you're more than welcome, anyone, to join that group as a participant and also to find out more about the strategy [inaudible] going across the board, not just the NARALO outreach strategy.

So, just to bring you all up to speed. We submitted our strategy which was for CROP, and as you all know, CROP has had some revisions. We originally put in three [inaudible] for approval and the cornerstones of those CROP trips was one that's in Vancouver in October and the second one in Barbados, which is the two times a year ARIN which is the North American RAR is doing events. So, that was something that we stress a lot because we have an MoU with them.

Unfortunately, the timelines for this trip that is coming up in October is way too tight. We didn't meet the limit and I do partially responsible for that. We rushed as much as possible with a six-week time limit, but that's really too restrictive. I understand that it's actually six weeks and five days, more like seven weeks. So, we have supplied in the last newsletter and you'll see it in [inaudible] forthcoming meeting, a call for the next two which is the Digital Inclusion Conference which is in April and the next ARIN meeting in April as well, with a due date by January 10th. So, I just want to make sure that any submissions are well in [inaudible] and beyond this, as Heidi and I have mentioned, the [inaudible] days.

Now, what we need to do now in consultation with Joe and Chris, what other [inaudible] would be applicable. CROP priority is ICANN meetings. There is no ICANN meeting in North America this year, so we have to look at ICANN [inaudible] events that is more applicable as substitute for that first trip that we have to a substitute. So, if it's something that's not roughly seven weeks away, we cannot consider it. So, if you do have an event that you think is worth attending that's ICANN related, say, from December on, let us know and we can work with staff on that. We'll probably look at the same idea we're doing with the next two [inaudible] open competition. We do a call out for three people to evaluate the submissions and then we make a decision that's impartial on who would attend the meeting.

So, again, we have two tools. We have CROP which is three trips that ICANN has been generous enough to support. Plus we have discretionary funding.

Now, the first event that was used here was the DNS Symposium. That was an ICANN symposium in Montreal. The next event was planned by Marita which is a pre-ICANN event in Ottawa. Unfortunately, that's clashing with a CIRA General Assembly, so she's going to be pushing that, instead of a pre-ICANN Barcelona event to a post-ICANN Barcelona event. So, if she hasn't communicated, Heidi, with you, we'll make sure that we follow-up on that.

So, again, the discretionary funds have been expanded to \$4,000 per RALO. There's a process to apply for that. Again, that's outside of CROP, but I included a suggestion list in the plan for outreach and engagement. If you do have anything that you see, it's a small amount of money but it enables you to do something local. Again, the money is not meant to be spent entirely on hotels. There's some amount that's permitted, but the idea is if you have something in your own town that you want to put on. For example, Alfredo and Eduardo last year did an event with ARIN which was a local event that goes in, very easy, no travel. But, it's something for your consideration.

If there's any questions, I'll turn it back to the community. Thank you. Oh, I see a hand. Go ahead, George.

GEORGE KIRIKOS:

I was just curious if there's any specific emphasis on diversity when the outreach is happening. For example, in this meeting, most of the participants are male, so that gender balance. Also, I guess demographically, one would like to have young people, middle, and older people as well. I was just curious about that. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you. I'm glad you mentioned that. The two diversity groups that we've engaged I guess you would say aggressively in the last couple of years is First Nations in North America and the second group is groups with special needs. Those are two particular groups that we've made an effort to recruit for ALSes. As you can see, in some of the composition of the members today, we're seeing individuals, new, younger members that are unaffiliated as well as ALSes. That has been a successful effort as well.

I think we have some pretty good representation from a diversity point of view. Leah is our NomCom member and Marita is also our ALAC member. So, I think from a diversity point of view, I think our leadership has been pretty good in terms of getting representation. Thanks, George. Okay, Eduardo, it's back to you. I don't see another question.

There's Marita typing something. I'm just waiting for a second. Marita, did you want to talk about the post readout at all?

MARITA MOLL:

Oh, hi, Glenn. I was just typing a note saying I'm so very sorry for being late. I was working on a policy section for ALAC and I just lost track of the time.

The readout. We do a readout. We're hoping to do a pre-Barcelona readout, but the time just got on top of us and everybody has a lot of other [inaudible]. So, we are going to do one after Barcelona. Hopefully, last week in November, first week in December. So, definitely, we're

moving ahead on that agenda. It's just sometimes we all have too much to do.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you, Marita. Folks, when you see the newsletter and if you haven't subscribed, Marita's organization will be showcased in the newsletter. We're going to be calling upon everyone to provide a short story on yourself. And again, hashtags are welcome. Back to you, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Glenn. Thank you, Marita. The next item in the agenda is by Alfredo. Alfredo, do you want to tell us something about the educational group, the group that you manage in that area? By the way, we have, for those that do not know, we have three groups in NARALO that focus on different areas. One is the policy group which is led by Jonathan Zuck and he's not here today, but he usually keeps us abreast of what's happening policy-wise. Then we have Alfredo Calderon who is heading the educational group. He helps putting together small webinars of interest, 15 minutes just to get really acquainted with whatever issue or things we want to present and all those things. Then we have a third one which is the outreach that is being led by Glenn that you have heard his input. Alfredo, please.

ALFREDO CALDERON:

Yes, thank you, Eduardo. Eduardo mentioned we are seeking topics that we would like to have a short webinar in monthly meetings. As you all

know, there's a lot of PDPs out there, policy development process documents for comment. Some of them we might think that they are not related with our group, with [inaudible] as end users, but they might. So, things that we're not really aware of the impact they may have on us.

I sent out an e-mail through the education group to gather topics that we feel that we should have a short webinar in the coming meetings, keeping in mind that if they are really related with some policy that is out there for comment and it's time-sensitive, we're going to give priority to those. That's it for me. Thanks. Eduardo, back to you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you. I was muted. Thank you so much, Alfredo. Any questions for Alfredo? If no, we move to the next item which is the ALAC members update report. I see Javier and Alan are not here and John just reported on social media. I don't know, John, if you want to say something on what's happening in ALAC.

JOHN LAPRISE:

Yeah. Thank you. ALAC has been very busy. We can always use more help on any of the working groups, so if you have some time you want to devote, please get in touch with Jonathan Zuck on the Policy Working Group and we'll plug you in as [inaudible] spare.

As was mentioned, the KSK rollover is moving ahead, so that will happen before the next ICANN meeting. In addition, the Policy Working Group is getting up and running. Jonathan Zuck [inaudible] there. We've got

review implementation which is also kicking off as well as ongoing work with new gTLDs and GDPR. The accelerated technical specs that are being under review which is another area of a lot of concern and conversation.

Finally, at the same time, we are facilitating the transfer as Alan steps down from his chair role to Maureen and there are some things there that we're doing to smooth over, to have a smooth transition.

That's about it for now, but there's a lot packed into that statement. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you so much, John. By the way, all these meetings are recorded, so if you want to hear details of what has been going on in ALAC, you can go on basically the meeting area and you can hear the whole meeting there. It's [inaudible] because all the meetings are transcribed. Thank you, John, for your information.

We are almost at the end of the agenda, so we'll finish quite before the meeting. What I was going to say, I was going to add something to the meeting. I forgot now. Let me think.

Oh, I know Maureen, you are [inaudible]. Do you want to address the group, being the next person that is going to be leading ALAC? Do you want to say a few words to us in that context?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Eduardo. I hadn't planned to say anything, but I'm very pleased to be here with you all around the team. A very big team, too, I see. It's great to see the new faces coming in and joining. Great to see the ALAC members there and getting great ... I must admit, Alan is going to be a loss to the leadership team. Not that he's leaving the leadership team because next he's organizing one of the things that's probably a major part of my change within the At-Large. In fact, the leadership team is going to be slightly enlarged.

I think it's really important that one of the things that we like having being very much involved in the work of [inaudible] in APRALO and how important it is, but the work of the RALOs do really do take on the effectiveness of the ALAC. So, [inaudible] from the outset and [inaudible] that we really do need to have the regional chairs as part of what is now the At-Large leadership team, rather than the ALAC leadership team, so that if there are any issues that arise within the RALOs, that [inaudible] ALAC, the liaisons, and the regional leaders can actually work together.

Just listening to what's happening within your region, it's amazing and the fact that you've got new people coming through. I think it's very encouraging for At-Large and I'm really looking forward to working with you all and seeing you in Barcelona. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Maureen. For the new people that are in the group, ALAC which is [inaudible] for ICANN, has a small subgroup. It's called the ALAC leadership team which was made up of five ... Since ALAC is [inaudible]

five regions, it was made out of five people within ALAC. They meet more regularly than the ALAC meeting. But, the RALO leaders were not involved in that leadership team and [inaudible] changes Maureen is bringing to the group is that there will be a connection between that leadership team and the RALO so we can funnel things back and forth. So, it will be a more direct connection.

In fact, she is finalizing an Org Chart. When it's finalized, we'll send it around so you can see how things connect with what, because when you hear ALAC and the leadership team and ALT and all of that, we all get confused with that, especially if you haven't been around ICANN for that long.

So, this is all I have for today. Does anyone have anything to add before we adjourn [inaudible]? If not, Maureen, thank you for participating in our meeting today. And all of you, I hope you have a very good week and see you in a month. I believe next meeting is going to be October 1st which is the first Monday of the month. With that, we adjourn the meeting. Thank you so much.

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Thank you, everyone, for joining the call. This meeting has now been adjourned. Please remember to disconnect your line. Thank you.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]