

---

ANDREA GLANDON: Thank you. We will now officially start the recording of this call. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the At-Large Regional leadership teleconference on Thursday, the 19<sup>th</sup> of July 2018 at 18:00 UTC.

On today's call, we have Maureen Hilyard, Wale Bakare, Sergio Salinas Porto, Eduardo Diaz, Olivier Crepin-LeBlond, Sarah Kiden who is on the audio bridge only, Alfredo Calderon, Alan Greenberg, Glenn McKnight, Ali AlMeshal. We also have Mohamed El Bashir. I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes and to please keep your phones and microphones on mute when not speaking to avoid any background noise. Also, we did have apologies from Satish Babu and Humberto Carrasco. We have from staff Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco; and myself Andrea Glandon. Thank you. I will now turn it over to Olivier. You may begin.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Andrea. Welcome, everyone, to this monthly ... Well, sort of monthly. It's like this sessional At-Large Regional Leadership call. Today, we've got a busy agenda for the next 90 minutes starting with the review of our action items from the Panama meeting. Then we'll have a discussion on the RALO outreach and engagement strategic plan. Immediately after that, we will be discussing the criteria for the RALO fiscal year 19 discretionary funding. After that, At-Large Structure criteria and expectations where Alan Greenberg – welcome, Alan – the current ALAC chair, will be speaking to us about this.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

Then, the global RALO survey. A short discussion on the global RALO survey. Finally, a short discussion on cleaning up of the At-Large regional leadership workspace. Finally, at the end, any other business. May I ask whether anybody wishes to make amendments or additions to the current agenda? I'm not seeing any hands up. Heidi, you did mention that there might be something for AOB on staff. Is there?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. Thank you, Olivier. My hand is up now. Just to add one item, the issue of adding group photos to the RALO portals, Wiki portals. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Group photos, okay. GDPR compatible group photos, so we'll all be wearing balaclavas. Thank you. Let's add this to the AOB and we will, therefore, start the call with our review of the action items from our face-to-face Panama meeting. In fact, the whole agenda has got links and so on to everything. The action items we had there, we first had RALO leaders to continue discussing an approach to continue developing the respective hot topics. This is something I think that we can continue. We're not discussing it today, but as you know, the RALO hot topics are important. We actually have a page that's going to link to each one of the RALOs.

Because we were discussing this in Panama, what I might suggest is that we move this to our next call, so we've got a little more time between our last discussion and the discussion on the call to update our hot

---

topics and see which direction we are moving into. I see a green tick from Eduardo Diaz on this point. Thank you.

Then, the RALO leaders and ALAC members to meet in the Barcelona meeting to discuss best practices to improve two-way communication, and for some reason, that doesn't come up very well on the Wiki – sorry, on the screen, on the agenda screen, but it does come up well on our agenda screen. Best practices to improve two-way communication. That's communication between RALO leaders and ALAC members. For those of you who were not at the face-to-face meeting, we did have some concern that there seems to be not that great communication between ALAC members and the RALOs. So, we need to come up with a set of maybe not best practices, maybe we can call it good practices or maybe put together some kind of a document for future ALAC members and also for everyone to basically see where we stand on these things. That's something that needs a face-to-face meeting. I know that several people are here that are dealing with the scheduling for Barcelona, and if I could ask that, as an action item, staff works with whoever is in charge of putting together the agenda, so we've got the actual slot for being able to discuss this.

RALOs will continue discussions on FY19 discretionary funds at the next conference call. That's indeed what's happening, what's going to happen on today's call. Yesim to send a Doodle to schedule a conference call in July. That's done. And Heidi to set up an IGF 2018 page. That, I believe, is complete, although I haven't found a link for this. So, Heidi, if you can put that link in the chat, that would be really helpful. The floor is open for comments, questions, amendments, suggestions, etc.

---

I'm not seeing any hands up or anybody wishing to take the floor, so let's swiftly continue. This is great. We can probably finish the call in ten minutes. That's a joke. I think then we can just swiftly move on to our [inaudible] which is the RALOs outreach and engagement strategic plan, the first real matter that we have on the table. That's to do with CROP, the Community Regional Outreach Program.

As you know, we were concerned with the recent rumor that CROP was going to be scrapped altogether. In fact, CROP is not being scrapped and it's going on for another year at least, but the number of slots that are given to each one of the RALOs is going to decrease from the current five to I believe it is three.

That said, the process by which one needs to request CROP slots, etc., hasn't changed very much. There is some criteria evaluations that have changed and we have already discussed this when we spoke face-to-face. If you look at the RALO workspace ,the process is always that we need to first file an outreach plan, outreach and engagement plan, that then get filed before any CROP requests are being made.

So, that's the current process. I wondered whether there was any discussion that anybody wishes to have on this. I know that for APRALO, they have a lot of activities taking place in the summer and the filing of the plan being needed before the summer and before they can make any requests, that might have introduced some challenges to them, so it would be interesting to see how they've managed to overcome this problem and whether there's any improvements that we can make on this.

---

I know that Ali has dropped out for a moment. I hope that he is back on the call. He certainly is. I see that he has put his hand up, so I'll give the floor over to Ali AlMeshal. Welcome.

ALI ALMESHAL: Thanks, Olivier. Can you hear me clearly?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: We can hear you, Ali, with a little bit of distortion, but it's fine for the time being.

ALI ALMESHAL: Okay, great. We had this [inaudible] regional GC to [inaudible] coming in July [inaudible]. in order to [inaudible] submit our strategic plan [inaudible] and to see [inaudible] to be able to [inaudible]. So, we are [inaudible] on this issue. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you for this, Ali. Has this been resolved then? Is this now working? What's the [inaudible]?

ALI ALMESHAL: This would be done for next year, not this year, [inaudible]. So, there is no [inaudible].

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks for this, Ali. Your voice was a little bit not too clear, but if I understand this correctly, this will be done for next year and this year, well, we've already drafted the plan, so you're in the clear for this year.

Let's go through the queue. Next is Glenn McKnight.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you, Olivier. Just on the outreach and engagement plans, my understanding, speaking to Benedette, that they're not due until the end of August. What we're doing is I'll be meeting at breakfast with Joe and Chris in Washington – they're there for a short time for the IGF USA – to find out exactly what their outreach and engagement plans are. As you may all know, we do not have an ICANN meeting in our region in this fiscal period, so we have to look at other things that they'll be doing, such as recently we did the DNS Symposium in Montreal and probably the same idea is going to be done in your districts as well, possibly at the IETF in Bangkok in the fall.

But, yeah, so we've done a lot of the work on the outreach and engagement, but we've also incorporated the request for people to detail what they would do with the discretionary funds. So, that's on the plus side. We may have lost the bit on the CROP from five to three trips, but we increase substantially on the discretionary funds. So, what we get with the left we take with the right. We're more than happy to share what our plan is and what we're trying to do, but it's not complete.

The second thing we've done is because we have a working group, outreach and engagement, and we do ask people to go into the document and give feedback and we have our monthly reports on how

---

things are progressing. So, that's how we're approaching the strategic plan. Back to you, Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Glenn. That's very helpful. Next is Alan Greenberg. Now, I'll get Heidi. I'm not quite sure who was before. Was it Heidi or Alan before?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Go ahead, Alan.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Alan Greenberg.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, if you're speaking, you're on mute.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, I can't hear Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: I wasn't speaking because I was just dialing in and I put a message saying take Heidi first.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Well, then, I will go quickly. Just to note that on yesterday's subcommittee on outreach and engagement call, there was a discussion about the RALO outreach and strategic plan. The idea there, within that group, was that once the co-chairs are selected, that then they would help work on those plans. So, it might be Olivier, you might wish to be in contact with the new chair who was selected yesterday – that's Daniel – to see how this group and that group would work together on those plans. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Heidi. That's a good idea. Perhaps make this an action item, please, for me to follow-up after this call. Alan Greenberg, you have the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. I just wanted to respond to – not respond, but comment on Glenn's comment that the discretionary funds, to some extent, compensate for the lack of CROP funding this year. That is technically true. There is no restriction that it cannot be used for travel. But, the messages that we've gotten from ICANN finance, among others, is that if in the end we end up using a significant amount of the funding for travel, in any particular RALO or overall, then the chances of getting that renewed next year is not very large.

So, yes, we can use it for travel, but careful what you wish for because it may end up being the only time you get it if we use a significant part of it purely as compensation for lack of CROP and for travel needs. Just something to keep in mind.



---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this, Alan. Next in the queue is Eduardo Diaz.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Olivier. I just wanted to expand on Glenn's, what he mentioned about the strategic plan. This time, the outreach strategy is basically answering four or five questions that aren't in the CROP page about what the outreach calls are, strategies, expected activities and outcomes. So, it shouldn't be a hard thing to [inaudible] and think about this, to fill out these blanks that they have put in place. It makes it very good because then everybody will answer the same things. Before, they have different types of plans, just in different formats. That, I like. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Eduardo. You mentioned these questions.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I will put the link in the chat.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: That would be helpful. I'm looking at the CROP pages at the moment, so the CROP page FY19 and I'm looking at the CROP procedures page and at the At-Large RALO's workspace, which really would probably be better to be called At-Large CROP FY19 RALO workspace. I think I need to stand up because the motion sensor has now put me in total darkness. Sorry.

---

So, if you can put that in the chat, that would be really helpful. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I did.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Now, I have a question on the procedures, then. Is this like the previous years in that the RALOs have to have an outreach strategic plan that is verified and agreed with the local regional VP from Global Stakeholder Engagement? Is that still the case? If that's still the case, then how long is this process meant to take? Because if we're going to speak to also the ALAC with the Outreach and Engagement Working Group, that might slow things down. Does anyone know what the process is? Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: If you look at the link I put there, if you go down, there is a process where you have to have the plan, look at the ICANN organization structure, leadership has authorized outreach strategy plan. I don't know who the ICANN Organization [inaudible] is. I guess that's me.

Then, the last one is the outreach strategic plan has been [inaudible] by the Stakeholder Engagement Committee. So, it's the same as before [inaudible] process.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks for this. It is the same process. Any other comments or questions? I see in the chat the question from Ali AlMeshal. If one CROP is used for an ICANN meeting, can we top it up with the discretionary fund to cover the remaining nights? As you know, CROP will only cover three nights. Heidi Ullrich?

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's a very good question, Ali. It's up to you to set the criteria for the discretionary funding. That's one of the items on the – the next item on the agenda is that, is to develop the criteria. That would be one of them. Also, noting the deadline is, again, six weeks for CROP. We've had in the past issues where that deadline has been missed by just a few days. It does say this year no exceptions, so that is a very tight deadline. So, two points there. Number one is At-Large planning on still using the CROP review team which adds additional timing? The second thing is given that the RALO discretionary funding does allow for travel, that is now sort of a default. If that deadline is missed, then that might be an opinion. But again, as Alan said, we do not want to have all that funding be used for travel.

So, that's why I think in the strategic plan that you're going to be planning shortly, please identify where you want to use the CROP trips way ahead of time and where you're thinking about using that discretionary funding. Where the issues come in is when decisions or meetings are made way too late.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this, Heidi. Eduardo?

---

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is a question for Heidi. So, using money for staying one night in the hotel, is that considered travel?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, Eduardo. Thank you. What I'm hearing, what you've heard from the CROP support staff is that, yes, the RALO discretionary funding is now open to regional travel, including flight, a combination and a stipend/per diem. Again, the criteria, that is up to you to set and that is what is pretty crucial to develop that. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks for this, Heidi. I have another question when it comes down to CROP and that's to do with the replenishment of the people that are the CROP delegates or CROP review team delegates. I know that there was some discussion as to whether there was going to be a CROP review team this year or not, and then the discussion was stopped at the end because of the fact that we were then told that CROP was going to be ended.

Now that CROP is actually in operation, is there any plan for the CROP review team to still operate or who calls the shots on that? Is it also ... Can the CROP program coordinators be changed?

I note that, Heidi, you're mentioning it here, the CROP PCs can be changed anytime. That is different from the CROP review team. Can you please expand on that?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. Olivier, my understanding was that the CROP PCs – I'm not quite sure what that ... Point of Contacts I believe, they can be changed. That's something with the CROP [inaudible]. That's with the CROP process. They can be changed anytime simply by the RALO leaders informing the CROP support staff on that. The CROP review team is something that At-Large has set out to have additional process for assigning or approving CROP requests. Now, those people on that working group I believe happen to be some of the PCs. I have to check that.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: I thought they were one in the same people. That's why I'm asking the question.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Again, those are separate. I don't think there's any requirement, at least from the ICANN side, that they are the same. So, the question of what happened to the CROP review team is something that needs to be addressed perhaps by Alan on what the thoughts going forward on that are.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. Alan Greenberg, you have the floor.

---

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. The Crop review team was originally set up to vet or help make good requests going forward in CROP and it was made up of five people, one from each of the regions, essentially representing outreach and engagement and one from each of the regions representing the finance and budget group.

There has been much controversy over the last years as to exactly what the group should be doing. Should the group be saying, no, you can't submit it because it's too late or, no, you can't submit it because it's not good enough or should it simply be advising that maybe you should change this but not act as a gate, as barring something?

I don't think the ALAC much cares. I think obviously the RALOs and the outreach and engagement group have to get together and decide how you want to do this. If we want each RALO to just submit something and not have it passed by anyone else with an opportunity for improvement, we can live with that.

So, the outreach and engagement is a creature that we created. We can make it disappear if that's what the ALAC wants. Clearly, it's an official decision of the ALAC, but I think we're going to work on some level of direction from the regional leaders. So, that's a good decision point you can make. At this point, we have officially ... I don't believe we've reconstituted the CROP review team. I honestly can't remember. Maybe Heidi or ...

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: We have not, due to this reason.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. So, I think it's a decision we need to make quickly. As I said, we've had controversy in the past about what the CROP review team should be doing and a great difference of opinion between members of the group as to what it should be doing. It was put in place to make things better. If it's just causing problems, then fine. So, I think that's a decision the regional leaders need to make to start with.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Alan. Next is Eduardo Diaz.

EDUARDO DIAZ: In my opinion, that group should not be considered, created again. In our case, we have a group within [AFRALO] that is geared toward outreach and engagement which I believe Glenn is leading that group. It should be the RALO itself that should [inaudible] if going to this event or not is within the strategic plan set up for the region. That's my opinion. So, if [inaudible] that group again.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. Next is Ali AlMeshal.

SARAH KIDEN: Sorry, Olivier, I would like to join the queue. This is Sarah.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, Sarah. You will be in the queue. Thank you. Ali AlMeshal, please.

ALI ALMESHAL: Hello?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, Ali, we can hear you. Go ahead.

ALI ALMESHAL: Great. We had been discussing this, the review team ... Hello, can you hear me? Hello?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, we can, but I think there's a significant delay between you and us, so this is why we might have to be indulgent. When you speak, we have to wait a little bit and then we'll speak. So, you have the floor, Ali. Please go ahead.



---

ALI ALMESHAL:                   Okay. This has been discussed [inaudible] whether we would need the CROP review team or not and what is the value or the added value of that, as just Alan and Heidi were just speaking about that this has been discussed before.

Looking into the process of submitting to CROP, you know that all these trips or travels or activities that will be done, it's already been approved by the RALO leaders, by the strategic plan. Also been approved by the vice chair, for the VP for that region.

So, submitting it to another group just to review and add comments, I think this is [inaudible] rather than making it a smooth process. Therefore, I am one of the people who are supporting that we would not need the CROP review team. What we need [inaudible] who will take care of submitting the applications to the CROP Wiki because all of the other processes have been done which is approving the strategic plan and being reviewed by the leadership team and being reviewed as well as each individual request submitted for CROP been approved by the VP of ICANN staff. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:       Thank you very much, Ali. Next is Wale Bakari.

WALE BAKARI:                   Hello. This is Wale Bakare speaking, for the record. Can you hear me?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:       Yes, we can.

WAKE BAKARI:

Great. I've got a question and also a comment with regards to the discussion about the call. The very first thing I would like to ask is [inaudible] CROP review team and the CROP program coordinator. What is the difference? What are they doing? Are we talking about the implementation of [inaudible] in this sense? So, when we have the CROP review team on one hand and – sorry. CROP review team will be [inaudible] shortly and the CROP program [inaudible] one task. That is one.

Then, the second part of it is [inaudible] each RALO [inaudible] of each CROP strategy call and the application within each RALO, rather than adding to a special [inaudible] special review team that will go through each application. I think this will cause a kind of delay and a kind of [inaudible] CROP application. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks for this, Wale. Next is Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. I just wanted to make sure that people understand the implications of what we're talking about. If we're going to do away with the CROP review team, and I have no problem with that, it does mean each RALO is going to have to stand up and do that work. That means the RALO actually has to look at the request and make sure it does meet not only what the proposed standards are and not only with a good expectation of being approved by ICANN staff, but

---

is it really going to return investment? CROP is an outreach process to try to get more people involved in our actual working processes. So, that means just because one of your – and I'll be rather perhaps controversial. Just because one of your friends put a request in does not mean it should be approved. It's going to have to be looked at with a very careful eye within the RALOs and as long as RALOs are prepared to do that, then I think it can work really well, but there is a downside and I think that needs to be considered. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Alan. Mohamed El Bashir mentioned in the chat that he supports [inaudible] the process, no need for a new gate on the process. In fact, Mohamed was next in the queue, but he's put his hand down. Did you wish to add to this, Mohamed?

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Yes. I think I really am confused about the last comment from Ali about the implications. What you described, actually what we do, have reviewed applications for CROP before and have approved this based on [inaudible], its merits. I have rejected applications before for CROP for people I know, from people who are active, because we had [inaudible]. So, I really find it difficult to say that the RALOs are just [inaudible] using this as an easy way for travel. There might have been cases like that. I'm not sure. But, I think for AFRALO, we're really taking this serious.

Basically, this ends up on the responsibility of the RALO leadership. I don't think if ALAC thinks that they might have an oversight ... I think it's setting a high overarching requirement that guides everyone, if that's

---

At-Large concern, that would be useful. But, I think trying to have a [inaudible] hand on the process to make this, let's say to ensure that we're already following the requirements and not [inaudible], I think that's not required and I think we have ALAC representative for regions, if there's issues could be raised to them. I think [inaudible] could be used to convey those messages and I don't think that's the case for AFRALO I'm sure. Many of the RALO leaders could share the same experience [inaudible] how they deal with the CROP program. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Mohamed. Sarah, I really apologize. I missed putting you in the queue there. You have the floor.

SARAH KIDEN: Hi, this is Sarah Kiden for the record. Thank you, Olivier. I think everyone has already said it. I will agree with all the people that if there were controversies in the past, we don't need to bring them because bringing the review team back is just bringing the issues we had in the past. So, I'm sure RALOs are ready to do this and the only thing I would like to add is that if there is anyone or if there's any RALO who feels that maybe outside the leadership team there's someone who can help them review this better, then it will be up to the RALO to invite that person to help them. That's it from me. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this, Sarah. Next is Eduardo Diaz.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Sorry for taking so much time saying this, but this program is now in a contradiction by itself. It's supposed to be an outreach program and the type of event that I included is an ICANN public meeting occurring in the RALO region. You don't do outreach in ICANN policy meetings in your region. I don't know how you do that. You don't pay for yourself to go there to do outreach inside an ICANN meeting or an official meeting organized by ICANN, maybe. If there are no official meetings organized by ICANN in your region, then [inaudible]. Then the third one is if there are none of the above, then you can use it for something else, as long as it's related to policy and so forth and so forth. It's not like you can go to any event to do outreach that is not an ICANN-sponsored meeting. I just wanted to say that. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Eduardo. Actually, Heidi has mentioned it's only for the first trip. So, you're allowed to waste only a third of the money allocated rather than the full amount. Glenn McKnight.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I'm more than happy to hear that we don't have the CROP RT layer of review and feedback and comment. As Alan quite rightly said, it was a bit of a give and take and some people had strong opinions. Some of them were not necessarily right. Some people in some regions didn't get around to doing their CROP submissions for [inaudible] visas take a little longer from one country to the next, so the timelines are longer.

---

---

I'm happy not to have to wait and review other regions. We do have oversight. We have Benedetta who will be looking at it, and remember, these proposals go to the GSE. They review it and approve it. I think we just [inaudible] take responsibility. It's in our plans. We are conscious of the timelines. Just take responsibility for it. I'm happy that myself and Judith who are not any longer having to review other people's CROP. It's none of our business. That's one less thing to do. I'm happy about that. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this, Glenn. I have a question now that there's no queue, which is to do with CROP program committee members. I thought that these were the CROP review team people. If we're abolishing the CROP review team, what happens to the program committee or are we abolishing that as well? Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: The CROP PCs, program coordinators, from the ICANN side, the CROP side, so those cannot be eliminated. What can be done is that all of you can take a look at who's in place from At-Large and see if those are the right people. But, that is not for you to decide. I have to take a look who they are from At-Large certainly.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: At the moment, [inaudible] the moment, there's a CROP RT list of people. The problem I have, speaking from a EURALO perspective, is that we've got three people in there of which two people have

---

disappeared for EURALO and the third person there is doing all the work, so he would be interested in having other people helping out with writing things and helping things out. So, when one says you've got program committee members, and it's not listed anywhere who the program committee members are.

Anyway, Heidi, your hand is up and then we'll have Ali AlMeshal.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So, here's the CROP contact list. From AFRALO, it's Tijani and Daniel. From APRALO, it's Cheryl and Ali. From EURALO, it's Yulia and Wolf. From LACRALO, this is out of date, it's Leon and Juan Manual Rojas. From NARALO, it's Judith and Glenn. Let me go ahead and put that in there. So, that certainly does look like it needs to be updated.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: So, these are the CROP review team members that you just said.

HEIDI ULLRICH: No. Those are the CROP PCs.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: That doesn't sound like it, because at the top of the page, it says At-Large Community Regional Outreach Program Review Team. That's the CROP review team. That's the committee we are abolishing.

---

ALI ALMESHAL: May I?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Ali AlMeshal, you have the floor.

ALI ALMESHAL: Thanks, Olivier. Yes, there is some confusion between the CROP PC and the CROP review team. As far as I remember, from day one when this has been formulated, I was part of ... First of all, we were assigned as CROP PC which is a program coordinator. The program coordinator role was to take care of submitting the application and he was the only one who was supposed to have the access for submitting the applications.

Then, the CROP review team, we're formulated to review the application from the BC itself. So, you would see that almost both of the BCs [inaudible] are the same names. But, the functions were a bit different and that was the confusion why we would need the review team to review all of that.

So, if we eliminate or abolish the CROP review team, that doesn't mean that the BC will go out because the BC is just a person who is responsible for doing the application and submitting it. Previously, [inaudible] was that one representative from each RALO is responsible for submitting the application, and instead of it being open to all the leadership or without having a control. Thank you.



---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Ali. So, do you know who the CROP PCs are for each one of the RALOs?

ALI ALMESHAL: I think I have seen it somewhere. Let me just search for it. But, I know definitive that I am the one who has been assigned by APRALO and I am the one having the access.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: That helps.

SARAH KIDEN: Hi, Olivier. I would like to join the queue.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Sarah. Let's have Heidi first and then you. So, Heidi, you have the floor.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Olivier. Sorry for any confusion. The people I just listed are the point of contact. These are not the review team people. If they are, they happen to have an overlap. I have to look who the review team people are. But, the people I just read, they're the ones who have been identified to the ICANN CROP support team as the point of contact. So, those people from the regions are the current point of contacts. You cannot eliminate the point of contacts. What you can do is give me

---

names. I just wanted to distinguish that between that and the review team.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: They are one in the same committee at the time. Every member of the CROP Review Team is a program coordinator, apart from a few people in the CROP Review Team who are observers, and that's Alan and me who are both observers. Dev is the chair.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Well, then, if I may, Olivier, obviously the CROP Review Team, if you wish to suggest to the ALAC that that is no longer needed as an additional process, then those people can remain the same on the PC. That's up to you. But, again, we have Leon listed as one of the PCs from LACRALO. Given that he's on the board, do you still wish to have Leon be a PC?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: [inaudible] together. So, please, let's have a follow-up to that because we're not going to spend a whole hour on CROP. We really need to work this one out, so if you could please, staff, work out with each one of the RALOs, change the program coordinators or launch a process to change the program coordinators because I really want, as EURALO, to change our program coordinators and to then suggest that the review team be abolished. I think that can now end this discussion. Are you okay with this?

---

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Well, we still have Sarah in the queue, I believe.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Yes, sorry. Sarah Kiden, I'm really sorry because I haven't got you on my hand thing. I'm going to open another window just for you, Sarah, so I can put a virtual hand on my screen as well. You have the floor, Sarah Kiden.

SARAH KIDEN:

Thank you, Olivier. I'm sorry, I have a really bad connection today. So, the thing I wanted to add about the program committee is something I heard in other meetings before asking how often do you replace these people. For example, even if we decide to change the point of contact, at least we need to know maybe after every two years, we would get new ones so that they are not indefinitely. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much for this, Sarah. I believe that it's the RALOs that appoint the program coordinators. So, we'll take that into account as well. Let's move on. We've spent a lot of time on that, but I'm glad that we've touched on this because it's quite an expensive process. Heidi, your hand is still up.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah. I'm sorry. Just to confirm the action items here. One action item being that the regional leaders are unanimously recommending that the

---

CROP review team be eliminated. They recommend to the ALAC that the CROP be eliminated – CROP review team be eliminated.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Correct.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. then, the second point. Do you wish ... Olivier, you may wish to reach out to Daniel and see if the process for updating or reviewing the program coordinator name be a joint activity of the subcommittee on outreach and engagement in this group or at least the leadership of that group.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: I'm sorry, Heidi, I've lost you here.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry. Basically, I'm just wondering what the process should be for updating the program coordinators. Would you like to reach out to the subcommittee on outreach and engagement leadership, Daniel, and the co-chairs on how that's going to be done or do you want it just to be a decision of each of the RALOs? It seems to me that this might be a good process that could be coordinated between this group and the subcommittee on outreach and engagement. Thank you.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Heidi. Just to answer your question, if I wear my EURALO hat, what I'd like to do is tomorrow to give two new names for our program coordinators. [inaudible]. If I'm wearing any other hat, I'd say, well, let's go and ask the outreach and engagement working group and see what we do with it. But, at present, I've got two dysfunctional coordinators. Alan Greenberg?

ALAN GREENBERG: Just pointing out there's an ALAC meeting next week. If you want to take really quick action, we could adopt it at that meeting. Just a note.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this, Alan. Are we okay with getting things moving and asking for a slot at the ALAC meeting?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Also, then, on the program coordinators, staff will reach out to the RALO leadership team or regional leadership team on who they would like to appoint for their CROP PC.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you. Let's then get moving. That was supposed to be 15 minutes. We're a little bit further down the line than this.

The next thing in our agenda is the criteria for RALO fiscal year 19 discretionary funding. There's been some discussion that's already been launched by Glenn mentioning that there was wider amount of or a

---

slightly larger amount of money and some of it being able to be used for travel. Alan Greenberg also mentioned that perhaps we shouldn't use most of it for travel. Is there anything else to discuss on this topic at this stage in time? The floor is open. Eduardo Diaz? Then Heidi immediately afterwards. Eduardo, you have the floor.

EDUARDO DIAZ: [inaudible] doing now is looking at the criteria that it's in the link – in the page I have, it's linked here or what?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: The link that is there is just helping out with what the criteria is if you don't know what it is. It's the rules, the current rules. There was an extensive discussion that took place when we had a face-to-face meeting in Panama and one of the action items was to continue the discussion in the next call. So, picking up where we left off which was some confusion from some people, and at the same time, some people saying, "Okay, that's really great because now we can also use it for travel allocations and for visa fees and stuff like that." [inaudible] to ask more questions and to discuss this.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I propose that we take this criteria and put it in some kind of Google doc and ask people to comment on it. Then, when we come back to this meeting again, then we'll somehow know about the feeling of what criteria we want to add, or change, or leave in the same way because going through this is going to take a while.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, Eduardo. Thanks. That's a good idea going forward, if anybody else wishes to comment on that. Heidi Ullrich?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Olivier. Just to let you know, I'm happy to work with my team to create a Google doc and just add the suggested text. You'll see that, on this page, [inaudible]. The link has been placed in the chat. The criteria from last year are pretty much solid, except for the additional need to add criteria related to the regional travel. So, it's not going to be that much of a change, in my view. It's just one more set, one more item that would talk a little bit about the travel element.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Heidi. Eduardo Diaz?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Just to answer some of these. One thing I can see right away, that it's only ALSes that can use this. No individual members are involved in this. I want to comment on that because I think it should be ALSes and individual members. In fact, I had a conversation with Glenn two days ago about this ALS thing. What's the difference between an ALS that is only one person versus an individual member which is one person? The main difference is that one has a full vote and the other one has a sectional vote. So, those are some of the things that I wanted to add there and have a discussion and maybe that will move into something

---

else, but I want to have an opportunity to comment on this. [inaudible].  
Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks for this, Eduardo. So, in the action item it says here that RALO requests for funding to support an outreach activity [inaudible] add the criteria to a Google doc so that all RALOs can comment on it. I gather that you'll be able to add your comment to that on the Google doc. Any other comments or questions on this?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just to add that, if you're okay with it, I'll add some draft text for you guys to comment on, including the point of the individuals.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, so as a 6b. Action item 6b, section part of action item number six. Is that correct? Is that correct, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks. Alright, I don't see any other hands, so that means we have gone around the block on this one. Let's go to the next item and that's the ALS criteria and expectations. For this, we have Alan Greenberg. Alan, you have ten minutes for this.



ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. We started this discussion in Panama and I honestly don't remember how far we got. This has been a project that has been sort of ongoing for about three years. We never made much progress on it because things like the IANA transition, accountability, and other things kept on getting in the way. So, at this point, it's really going to fall into the At-Large review to implement what we have been talking about. I'll briefly review the kinds of things we were talking about, and although I'm sure what we end up implementing will be somewhat different, I think the overall gist will be the same.

If you look at it from a point of view of in the context of the At-Large review, why do we have ALSes, well, ALSes are there as a source of workers. This is not a new idea. If you go back and read exactly what the bylaws say and what our original ALS criteria and expectations say, this has always been on the table, but it was sort of forgotten for a while.

ALSes are there as, essentially, a repository of people. To actually end up with workers coming out of that mix, we actually have to do things. Up until now, in the vast majority of cases, an ALS has been represented by someone who would participate in RALO conference calls who would exercise the vote if there are votes, but it was never quite clear to what extent they would involve anyone else in the ALS or get them – try to [inaudible] them to be active.

Our experience has said in the vast majority of cases, the administrative representative from an ALS may not be the person who is most

---

interested in actually doing work within PDPs or policy statements or things like that. The simple demographics demonstrate that quite well.

So, the question is how do we then change this to make sure that we are going back to the origins of why we have ALSes? The kind of methodology we came up with is we have to use the ALS and the ALS representative as a conduit to reach their members. That has implications. That says if we can send out information which may be of interest to the ALS members regarding what ICANN is doing, they are obliged to forward that on. Those have always been words that we've used, but we've never actually required it or even asked for confirmation that we're doing it, and we know in the vast majority of cases, they're not doing it.

So, we are going to have to put together a list of what do we expect from an ALS and one of the things we expect is them to forward information. There's an obligation that we have to make sure that information is usable and understandable. If we send a standard 14-page e-mail buried in ICANN acronyms and probably not in a language that many of their members understand, we're not going to have much success. So, there's a lot of work to be done on that.

We pretty well came to the conclusion that ALSes are going to have to check in with us periodically. Maybe once a year, maybe once every two years. But, we need to make sure they're still alive, that the contact information is still there and to get confirmation that they are indeed forwarding information for us.

---

There are a few other things that we talked about. We should, for instance, when ALSes apply, ask them very clearly what is the intersection between what they're interested in and ICANN? Because the majority of our ALSes have an interest in the Internet, but that's not the same as having an interest in what ICANN does.

It all centers around making sure that our ALSes, number one, are a good fit for what we're doing in ICANN, and number two, that we can access – we have access to their membership and their membership has a way of getting contact back to us in case we have people who are actually interested.

The numbers are quite startling. We have 200 and something, let's say 240, ALSes right now. If we can get one active person from out of every four ALSes, that would be 60 people who are active and that's a much larger number than we see today.

So, our expectations are not necessarily very high, but without any communication we know we're not going to get more people involved. This is the counterpart to individual members. We believe individual members are important, but we also believe ALSes are important because they house an awful lot of people that may be interested in what we're doing. That's the reason that we rejected the empowered membership model which degraded ALSes because that would take away from us access to this huge group of people who are potential workers in our overall policy processes. That's about it.

There's lots of documentation we put together over three years and it's going to have to be all summarized and presented for the At-Large

---

review to look at. Perhaps it goes without saying, but I should say it. Obviously, whatever we decide has to be accepted by the RALOs and RALOs have an obligation, according to the bylaws, of furthering the aims of the ALAC. So, there's a synergistic responsibility that this has to be decided by the ALAC, but it also has to be decided in conjunction with the RALOs. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks so much, Alan. I have a question for you regarding the amount of knowledge in an ALS. You're aware that several of the RALOs are conducting surveys of their members for At-Large Structures to provide details of their activities and details of what their competencies are.

ALAN GREENBERG: The answer is, yes, I'm aware of it and some RALOs have done it better than others. That is certainly something which is useful to us, but the companion part is if you look at many of us before we came to ICANN, we were not interested or experts in ICANN issues. But, once we were lured in, captured perhaps by ICANN, it became clear where our interests were. So, prior knowledge works well if we're in an area where it's a subset of general knowledge that other people may already have. Privacy issues, human rights are good examples of that.

But, if we're looking at something that is somewhat more obscure, then there's a challenge to try to describe it to people to find out whether they're interested or not. So, I think the two things are quite complementary. I don't think it's one or the other and I think they're both going to be effective at getting people involved.

---

If I may, Eduardo asked a question. A minimum size of an ALS. We spent a fair amount of time in the ALS Taskforce looking at that and our conclusion was we are not going to give a minimum number. Quite clearly if the ALS only consists of three people who are the ones named as its executive, that's probably not a really effective ALS. But, whether it should be seven people or 7,000, the inclination of the people working on it at that point was not to set a number, and yes, one is probably not an ALS, although we do have ALSes that really only have one member.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this, Alan. The floor is open for any comments or questions. I note in the chat that Glenn is also saying it doesn't seem right to have a one-person ALS, I must admit, wearing the EURALO hat. That also raises my eyebrows. A one-person At-Large Structure.

ALAN GREENBERG: We have had ALSes ... Remember, when we're going back, we were saying, especially in areas where there is no individual membership. But, even in the RALO where there's always been individual membership, we have had people saying, "I'm going to form an ALS, so I can participate," and got two or three of their friends to sign the piece of paper. Over the years, the two or three friends disappeared and you were left with one person, but it's still an ALS on the books. So, clearly, if we do this and are serious, we are going to see some attrition of ALSes. But, hopefully, the ones we're left with are the ones that are really interested in working.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Alan. Just as a side note, you might be interested to know that the Internet Society, the process by which they're tightening the rules for their chapters, and they've introduced some minimum size requirements, etc., a whole number of things. I'm not sure whether there is [inaudible] in the At-Large Advisory Committee or in the At-Large community to tighten the rules to make an ALS.

One question that I do have for you in the absence of other people putting their hand up is to do with the taskforce, the At-Large Structure taskforce, that you were mentioning. Is this still in operation? What's the next steps for this? At the moment, we've got ALS criteria and expectations. We've got a [inaudible] with all these things. What are next steps?

ALAN GREENBERG: I think the last time the group had any discussions and it was a discussion of the whole I believe was in Copenhagen, so we're talking a year plus ago. I don't see any reason that the group will stay. The whole concept of a taskforce was something that was going to do some work and dissolve. That clearly didn't happen. But, I'm assuming this will be taken in as just one part of the implementation of the At-Large review. So, no, I do not see this taskforce continuing as such. There may be something comparable put together within the At-Large review group, but that's a different issue. But, I do see the work that we did being passed onto this new group.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. Mohamed El Bashir is next.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Thank you very much, Alan. If I understand you well, the objective of the proposal is to have more workers and more active participants in the policy development process. I did like the idea of being able to interact with the ALS members. I think we [inaudible] find ways to do that. For example, do we require ALSes to have mailing lists, their own mailing list, as a way to communicate to them. Now we have staff submitting announcements and communication about At-Large to the RALO list, which has all the ALSes. Do we have ALSes who have mailing lists? If this is allowed, we want to put on [initially staff] if we're going to have a way to send the messages a level down [inaudible] level down to the ALSes, let's say, mailing list, as a tool I can think of now.

But, I think also it's useful to utilize the Capacity Building Working Group, if there's a way we can ensure that [inaudible] for the Capacity Building Working Group's webinars are reaching the ALS members. I think that could make a difference, because here, [inaudible] the members could have awareness about the issues, active members to be identified and encouraged to participate if we show them how to do that.

So, there's a fine line to cross between not overstepping on the ALSes in terms of we look like we are overreaching and invading their territory, but we're using tools to make sure that we're sending the right message and I think the Capacity Building Working Group could be [inaudible] to achieve that. Thank you.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, may I?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Go ahead, Alan. You have the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG: You used an expression of invading their territory. I guess I want to remind everyone they're the ones that joined At-Large. We didn't force them to. So, if they're not willing to open up their territory to us, then they're not a particularly good ALS and I don't think we're going to worry about them disappearing. I don't think we are going to be prescriptive to, say, a mailing list if someone is using Facebook or some other form of media as a way of communicating with their members, that's fine. But, the concept of us sending out things and they have to be things that are not going to be considered spam. If we send out meaningful things to people, not too often but enough to hopefully lure people in, yes, we are going to expect them to forward them onto their members one way or another whether it's mailing list or something else. I don't think we want to debate.

Information about webinars is an exactly perfect example of that. If we're doing something which is going to be accessible to people without a lot of knowledge of ICANN, that's exactly the kind of thing we want to pass on, we want them to pass on to their members. So, we're going to have to think carefully about what we pass on to make sure it's usable, it's not considered spam because there's so much of it, that if



---

people read the first page or screen's worth, there's enough information there that they can decide whether to keep on reading or not.

If you look at one of our standard messages, there often is so much stuff at the beginning that you don't actually find out what it's about until you scroll down. It's going to take a fair amount of work and effort to try to do this right and we'll probably make some mistakes along the way, but yes, the intent is to get through the ALS contact onto their members. Hopefully, if we can make that work, we'll reach a lot of people who may be interested. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: So, we have the next steps on this again just to close off on the section.

ALAN GREENBERG: The next steps are partly to consolidate the information we have, which is a number of small briefing papers, and then wait for the At-Large review to kick in.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks. And the At-Large review will be implementing this, then.

ALAN GREENBERG: They have no choice. Well, they can choose to ignore this completely if they have some other way of getting ALSes involved, and I'm not ruling

---

out that someone will have a better option than what we're describing, but what we're describing is pretty generic.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks for this. Let's move on. Time is of the essence. The next thing that we have is the global RALO surveys. Now, some of you might not have been around when the last big RALO survey took place in 2010. There are links in your agenda to two RALO surveys. The first one is a set of surveys that each RALO did independently in 2015. That's just listed for reference here. But, the one that I've been asked to focus on is the big RALO survey that was undertaken in 2010. We're now eight years later and this whole survey was actually quite extensive, quite a good piece of work put together and it really helped the ALAC and it helped our community understand what our community was doing, the breakdown with languages, the breakdown of what were the barriers for ALSes to proceed forward and do things and so on.

So, the question with regards to that is: is it time that we, again, have a global RALO survey? Simple as this. If so, should this global RALO survey be undertaken by the RALOs or should we pass this on to the outreach and engagement working group? Eduardo Diaz?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I'm not sure if I heard you. [inaudible] this question [inaudible] already. But, what's the purpose of the survey? What do we want to get from this? What are we going to use it for? Do we know?

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Eduardo. So, the survey that was undertaken in 2010 is a complete scan, if you want, of all of the different region ALSes with the same questions being asked from each one of the ALSes that effectively goes into asking them what they do. So, if you look at the page itself, and it's got links to all the PowerPoints from each one of the things, the first question was to do with the tech and admin contact information and stuff, and how many ALSes had a secondary contact that is there, how many ALSes have a tertiary contact.

The next one was the level of representation, whether they only have ... It gives us the idea whether they've only got one person that's involved with the At-Large issues or they've actually got more than one person what they're doing.

The next one is how many have got the type of membership that they have within the ALS. The next one is to do with the type of tools that they use internally, Skype or mailing list, or blog. It's the sort of data that is very helpful for us if we are to use a future technology or if we are to ... Basically, getting to know our ALS better, getting to know the language diversity for ALSes, getting to know ... Okay. One of the questions I was asked back in 2010 was: what issues are your ALSes interested in? Well, obviously, we've already got that on a local level. What type of working group activity do you prefer? Then, how well is At-Large integrated in the overall ICANN policy structure? The next one was how well is your ALS integrated in the overall ALAC, RALO, ALS policy structure.

That somehow also is kind of a way to ask our ALSes how they feel in some way relating to how the At-Large review went, because as you

---

know, there were some responses that were saying that some ALSes appeared to feel completely out of the overall structure of ALAC and At-Large.

I guess this all goes down towards improving engagement with ALSes. Alan Greenberg, you have the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. The real problem in my mind with the survey we did last time is we really sent it to the reps, and in general, that's who answered. So, we had a good record of how many lawyers we have as reps and how many engineers and what kind of knowledge they had. But, there was no attempt at looking at the ALS in general, just the person who happened to have the vote that week.

So, I would suggest that this is not a valuable thing to do right now, but to defer it as part of the overall implementation. Once we have a conduit path to the ALS members, then it's a good time to send out a survey and send it out so that it's passed onto the members and we find out what skills the members have, not just the voting reps. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Yes. Thanks very much for this, Alan. I don't think that there is a question ... There's only one question that deals with the knowledge of the sort of activities of the ALS. You might be confusing this with another ...

---

ALAN GREENBERG:                    Maybe I am.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:        The survey basically [inaudible] that what languages you speak in your ALS and what type of issue your ALS members are more interested in, what type of working group activities does your ALS prefer, are there any members of your ALS that would be able to represent us at local and regional functions, please provide names and details. On a scale of one to five, how well is your ALS integrated in the RALO ALS policy structure. This sort of stuff. I think that was done by Ron Sherwood and Rudi Vansnick.

ALAN GREENBERG:                    Okay. I must admit that I have absolutely no memory of it. I was thinking of a different survey, so ignore what I said.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:        It was years ago. Glenn McKnight, you have the floor. We're not hearing Glenn. He might have dropped. In the meantime, there's a question. Did we use the data [inaudible] and was there good action to take in after conducting the 2010 survey? We can hear you, Glenn, now but we're looking at Ali AlMeshal's questions and then we'll come back to you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:                  Okay.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Were there good actions taken up [inaudible] conducting the 2010 survey? I have no idea, Ali. I would hope that there was good action taken. I don't know if anybody else was around back then and remembers, because back in 2010, I wasn't in the RALO structure itself. I gather that some of this must have been used in some of the At-Large improvements. Glenn McKnight?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. Can you hear me okay this time?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Now we can hear you. Go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. I'm sorry about that. Ali's questions are spot on. To go down this journey, to do this because we need to update it, we need to do it in Survey Monkey. We need to make it real simple with pull-down menus. Again, I think any survey, it's lies, lies, and statistics. I think we have to have a clear vision of why we're doing it and what the results are and how we can use the data effectively. I think that's what ... Fundamentally, I think that's what Ed and I were talking earlier this week is how do we engage. If people are just one-man operations, perhaps this tool, this survey, can help us to flesh out our ALS database and what capacity we have. So, I think we [need] some work to do.

But, I don't mind doing this within context of the O&E, so either way, I'm happy to work on it.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks for this, Glenn. We are a little late at the moment with five minutes left in our discussion or a little more than this. I see some agreement with Eduardo Diaz. Should we ask the Outreach and Engagement Working Group to look into this or do we want to have another discussion on our next call or maybe even a discussion on our mailing list in the meantime? I see that after Glenn there was Eduardo Diaz who has put his hand up. And now put his hand down.

EDUARDO DIAZ: No, mistaken.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, mistakenly. Okay, thanks. Eduardo says we can use this survey to [inaudible] by policy working group. [inaudible] discussion with better option. Eduardo Diaz, you have the floor.

EDUARDO DIAZ: It comes to my mind that maybe the review implementation team can use ... Can come up with a survey to help implement some of the review, the implementation things that we need to do. Just something that occurred to me that can help, anyhow.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this.

---

EDUARDO DIAZ: Then, if that working group decides that the best place to do it is through the outreach and engagement. We use that group to do that.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks, Eduardo. So, what you're saying is we should ask the implementation team of the At-Large review to look at this option. I see a green tick from you. Okay, excellent. Wale Bakare?

WALE BAKARE: Hi. Can you hear me?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, we can hear you. Go ahead, Wale.

WALE BAKARE: Alright. So, it's just a question with regard to Eduardo's suggestion. Would the implementation review team be able to capture all the necessary [inaudible] information all the time [inaudible] for this survey? That's my question. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Sorry, Wale. Could you ask your question again? I didn't quite catch the meaning.

WALE BAKARE: Yeah. My question is this, with regard to Eduardo's suggestion. He mentioned about the review team or the implementation team. I don't



---

know which one he's talking about to help out with the survey. Then, if [inaudible] would they be able to capture all the necessary data with regard to each ALS? That's my question. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this, Wale. Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I was referring to the working group that was put together during Panama to implement the approved document with the recommendations to implement after [inaudible] forget the name of the working group.

WALE BAKARE: Okay. You mean the At-Large review implementation?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, that one.

WALE BAKARE: Okay. My experience is that there is a risk in terms of them not being able to capture the necessary information with regards to each ALS, so I was suggesting we look at it [inaudible] to get the data from the ALSes. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks for this.

SARAH KIDEN: Hi, Olivier. I would like to join the queue.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Sarah Kiden, you have the floor.

SARAH KIDEN: I wanted to ask Wale why he thinks the review team would not be able to gather this kind of information. Is there a reason why? Or, if really there is a [inaudible]. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks, Sarah. Wale?

WALE BAKARE: Right. The reason why I raised that question is because I think the At-Large implementation team has got a responsibility [inaudible] the team is working towards. So, giving them another task might just, I don't know, maybe it would cause a kind of ... I mean, the process of getting [inaudible] data might not be so accurate. [inaudible] working group. [inaudible] working group will be the best to carry out the exercise, I think. That is my suggestion. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks so much for this, Wale. Sarah, go ahead.

---

---

SARAH KIDEN:

My understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that the At-Large review team is supposed to look at all these things that are going on with the ALSes, are they effective or not? So, I believe this is one of the activities that can help to do that, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you for this, Sarah. I believe that is correct and the implementation team is what's going to be ... Will be [inaudible] with this. I think that we probably are doing the right thing. Send it over to the At-Large review implementation team that will be able to maybe finalize or focus any kind of survey that might need to be sent out and then that would be sent over to the Outreach and Engagement Working Group for implementation and for [inaudible]. Is that okay with everyone? Is that your understanding, too? We really are running out of time right now.

Okay, let's have a double action item on this, then. The double item action being, on the one side, to engage the At-Large review implementation team on this At-Large Structure survey, potential At-Large Structure survey, and then to also let the Outreach and Engagement Working Group know that this is in the pipeline. I don't know if my screen is updating, but I'm not seeing any hands at the moment.

Let's then swiftly move on to the last two items. The first one is cleaning up the At-Large regional leadership workspace. Whilst preparing this overall agenda, I have found a lot of different areas and old links, etc.,

---

on the At-Large regional leadership workspace which has got a link to all the At-Large Structure ... Well, all the different RALOs and stuff, but then it's got also some links including a link to cross-RALO policy development activities and processes workspace.

The suggestion that I was going to make was that we have the page cut in two. Below a certain line, we have [inaudible] the historical link that needs to be kept there and just clearly marked as being historical links for archiving and above the line we would have ... It would just have all the latest updated links and things.

Perhaps, to launch a process of actually having the whole structure from top to bottom actually reviewed because one of the concerns that I do have is that what's in the left-hand box, the gray area that has got the full Wiki structure, is starting to move around again and be a little messy. Yes, Heidi, you have the floor.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you. I've actually seen this workspace as well as the individual RALO workspaces and I reached out to Silvia and Evin to plan an internal means of ensuring that these pages are up to date, so if you're okay with that, we will take a first look at, number one, ensuring that the links are up to date and old links are properly stored, and also look at that gray box. If I may, that sort of leads into AOB, just on the [inaudible] which is a very small point. Olivier?

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: I'm not seeing any other hands up on this topic, so that means we can indeed move to AOB, any other business. Heidi Ullrich?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Olivier. Just on that point of cleaning up the Wiki, what we've done – and Silvia, if you could please put the link to the AFRALO page in, just to ensure that we have a personal touch and people can see who belongs to the RALO, who the At-Large Structures are and the individuals, we would like to post the most current group photo we have of each of the groups at the top of the RALO portal. Thank you, Silvia. You can see that we have, on the AFRALO Wiki portal, we've added a photo of the GA in Johannesburg.

What we'd also like to do is, in Barcelona, for the ongoing and incoming RALO leaders, we'd like to have a group photo of all of you to ensure that we get a photo of you to post, to use for other means. Any comments there?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Heidi. Are you showing anything at the moment? Because it doesn't show on my screen.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, we put it in a link. We put the link to the AFRALO workspace into the chat, not onto the slide. I don't know if Andrea could quickly change that into a PDF to show that.

---

What we'd also like to do is actually use – all of you have formal portraits taken pretty much at the AGM, so we'd also like to use those just to show, promote, all of you as the regional leaders as well.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks for this, Heidi. I seem to have been clicked out of Adobe and that's why I can't see any of this. I can see that now, yeah. Any comments or questions on this topic? I'm not seeing anyone putting their hand up. Oh no, Eduardo Diaz, you have the floor.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I have a question. Heidi, are you suggesting that we take pictures of the leadership or of everyone that goes to regional ICANN meeting or assembly? That's a picture for a lot of people there. I cannot see who is in the back.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. That is the AFRALO GA picture and we have identified for all of your groups the latest ones. We can show those to you before we post them, but we just wanted to get your thoughts on adding, actually, a group photo. Glenn, I think the one that we're using for you ... I think you took this one, Glenn. I think that the other ones [inaudible].

EDUARDO DIAZ: I have no problem having a picture day. It gives it a better ... It looks like a lot of people behind all these letters. [inaudible].

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks for this, Eduardo. I like the idea, too, on behalf of EURALO. I do note that, at the moment, it says on the AFRALO page that they have their genera assembly when there really should be an “L” after general under the picture. That’s a little typo.

I’m not seeing anyone else complaining or objecting to this. So, if no RALO present is objecting to that, then I guess you can proceed forward with just putting the pictures on each one of those pages. But, make sure that we’ve got nice-looking pictures and things from a distance, so that they don’t recognize our white hair or lack thereof or whatever.

HEIDI ULLRICH: As Glenn noted, a photographer is not a magician. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: AFRALO was updated by Andrea. Fantastic. Okay, any other other business? Before you suggest any other other business, be assured that in about five minutes time I’m about to be kicked out of the building that I’m in at the moment. I’m on the 17<sup>th</sup> floor – 19<sup>th</sup> floor. And 19<sup>th</sup> floor is down through the window [inaudible]. I’m not seeing anybody put their hand up. I’d like to thank everyone for a very productive call. It’s been a little longer than expected, so thanks to our interpreters for sticking in this and apologies to them for being a little longer than expected. Thanks to staff and everybody. We’ve got quite a number of action items here to follow-up with. Please don’t disappear over the summer. There’s plenty of things that we have to do, work on. I really

---

look forward ... I think we will have another call, won't we, before the Barcelona meeting. Is that correct, Heidi or Silvia? Are we having another call after this one maybe at the end of the summer?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Definitely we should have one more call at least to agree on the agenda for the Barcelona meeting. [inaudible] September.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you for this. Thanks, Silvia. I get two notes here. Eduardo says let's have a call in September. Heidi says we had agreed to monthly meetings.

SILVIA VIVANCO: If you wish, we can [inaudible].

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: [inaudible] says, "I like monthly better." Okay, late August then. Late August. Going once, going twice. Late August it is. Thanks, everyone. This call has now ended. Have a very good morning, afternoon, evening, or night wherever you are in the world.

ANDREA GLANDON: Thank you. This concludes today's conference. Please remember to disconnect all lines and have a wonderful rest of your day.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**