

---

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Good afternoon, good evening to everyone. Welcome to the LACRALO Governance Working Group call on Tuesday, 17 July 2018, at 23:00 UTC.

On the Spanish channel, we have Hamzah Haji, Antonio Medina Gomez, Sergio Salinas Porto, and Alberto Soto. We have no participants on the English line for the time being.

On behalf of the staff, we have [some participants]. We have apologies from Dev Anand Teelucksingh and Maritza Agüero. We have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, and myself, Claudia Ruiz on behalf of the staff. I will be on call management.

Before starting, let me remind you all to please say your name for the purposes of the transcription and also for the interpretation. So we can start with the call.

DAVID PLUMB:

Thank you, Claudia. Today, we have a call to close the draft operating principles and also to get an update on some other topics that we have been discussing, such as the amendment for the inclusion of individual members. The key here is to have a plan to close the draft operating principles document that we have been working on for some months after the Puerto Rico meeting.

As you can see, there are only a few participants in this call, and we have had more participants in previous calls with more opinions. So probably we will have to go ahead with the participants that are on this

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

call today, and we can come up with a plan to proceed to the closing of this document in the next few days.

So my plan for this call was the following. In order to start finalizing the draft document so that it can be submitted for public comment, I wanted to go back in time to give you some background information.

As you can remember, we had a meeting and we started working on this draft on operating principles with the hope and the idea of coming up with a clear document that would reflect all the progress made as a result of the mediation process and also to make sure that we have a clear understanding of all the operating principles and the rules of procedure that we have in place.

This document was circulated a month ago [inaudible] final draft. It is posted on our wiki page, and I would like to have a look at the wiki page for the Governance Working Group in order to look at the most up-to-date version of this document.

We have been discussing within the Governance Working Group this document for a few weeks, and we have had no comments, unless I am mistaken, over the last few weeks. So I think that we are now in a position to take this draft document and submit it to LACRALO as a whole for consideration and later on for approval.

I would like to suggest the process for the next few weeks. In that process, we should include a final review in order to check for any typos or for any grammar mistakes. We can circulate the version in English in sync with the one in Spanish.

---

Then the next week, this document could be sent to the LACRALO as a whole. Maritza can do that as the secretary for LACRALO. So we can submit this document to LACRALO as a whole. This would be the new operating principles documents submitted to the region. We can set a timeline. A month I believe would be enough for comments.

Within that period of time, we can have some instances in which we can discuss the contents. For instance, we could have a webinar on Monday or at some other time in order to explain the content of this document. We can also come up with a brief summary of the contents of this document. This could be issued together with the document when it is submitted for LACRALO's consideration.

And then LACRALO will follow its usual procedure for the approval of a document. It can be subject to a vote or – all the steps will be covered in order to get to the approval of this document. If there are comments, if there are views in LACRALO that should be considered here, we can have a discussion and we can submit them to a vote.

Okay, I'm reading the chat and I see that we have received in the document with some comments here. I want to make sure that we all understand that this call should be used in order to close this process. We believe that the draft document is well advanced now in order to be submitted to LACRALO for its consideration. This is what I wanted to mention right at the beginning.

Let me take a pause here before going into the content of the comment sent by Jacqueline. Let me see if there are any reactions to the process that I'm suggesting for the next few days and weeks about this

---

document. Are there any comments? I see that Alberto Soto is asking for the floor. Go ahead, Alberto.

ALBERTO SOTO:

David, I don't agree with one point. This document is well advanced and it has received comments from people who participated in a few meetings of the working group without being members of the working group. In LACRALO, usually we hold a webinar in advance in order to explain the contents. Then we open the 30-day public comment period, and the working group can take one week to look at those comments and try to include them, all the comments received up to that point. And then it is subject to a vote. Otherwise, it would be a never-ending process, we would go from review to review.

This has happened also to us with the metrics document. We spent like two years discussing on metrics. There were no more observations. There was agreement. We had the public comment period for the metrics document, and there was no vote taken. And then we went back to discuss the metrics, and it was a very long process. So if any clarifications are required, then these clarifications should be made before the vote. Otherwise, we would have to go back to a public comment period, wait for another 30 days, and it would be never-ending. Thank you.

DAVID PLUMB:

Thank you, Alberto. I think your comment is valid. So specifically, what you are suggesting is to have a webinar, some information about the content of the document. Then we will have the public comment

---

period. Then we will have a short window of one week to introduce those comments, and then the document would be subject to a vote. I think that makes a lot of sense, and I think that we can all agree on that process.

Any other reactions? Any other comments as to how to move forward and close this document? So I think that we are all in sync. We agree on how to move forward.

I see that Humberto has joined the call.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Yes, I'm here.

DAVID PLUMB: Hello, Humberto.

Okay, so on this call we will proceed to finalize this document to close this process for the document. We are just going to review any potential typos and we can have a guide issued and perhaps we can schedule a webinar, and then we can open it up for public comment. We can also later on take those comments and proceed to a vote.

Alberto, is that a new hand or an old hand?

ALBERTO SOTO: Yes, this is a new hand. I suggest setting some date. Otherwise, it would be difficult. For instance, we can say for next Monday we need to complete the final review of all the typos. And on the following Monday,

---

I can't remember the date but on the following Monday, we could have the document sent out for translation by the staff with the final version. We can set the date now, and if we hand this document over on the following month, we can have a date for getting the translation back. And then we can schedule the webinar, and we know that from that date onward we will have 30 days and we can continue from there. Thank you.

DAVID PLUMB:

Excellent, Alberto. Thank you for that suggestion. What is good about this is that we already have a translated version almost ready. We just need to make any final adjustments that we make to the Spanish version.

Okay, so that is a challenge around the content. We have some comments from Jacqueline, and I think that we need to consider them. We need to take a few minutes here. I don't know if Jacqueline or Carlton are connected to the English line today, but in the meantime, Silvia, could you please share with us the document with Jacqueline's comments so that we are all aware of what she is commenting on?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes, I am showing this now on the screen. She sent it to the e-mail, and we are going to share it with the entire Governance Working Group mailing list. Here is the document on the screen.

---

DAVID PLUMB:

I wanted to avoid actually this, but I see quite a number of comments here. If Jacqueline or Carlton are not connected to the call, it will be very difficult for us to interpret what they are trying to convey here. Silvia? Okay, here we have a list. We can all open this document from the list, and we can have a clearer understanding of these comments.

We have to see whether these comments are related to substantial changes or just some minor improvements. It is quite difficult to do this in real time. Just by quickly looking at the document, I don't see any substantial changes proposed here. Just some format changes. I think that now we are faced with a challenge to see how we can proceed to closing this document if we haven't had enough time to look at Jacqueline's comments.

So I move that we go forward. Let's try to read Jacqueline's comments. If there are any substantial changes, we can try to work on those in the next few days over e-mail. And we can schedule a quick call for the next few days in order to finalize those. But what I see here is not so different, but it is very difficult for us right now to go through all these comments.

I see a comment by Antonio. Antonio, would you like to take the floor to make this comment, the comment that you have written in the chat window? Because I want to really understand, Antonio, how you would like that to be reflected on this document. Antonio, would you like to take the floor?

I see there is a lot of activity in the chat window. Why don't we [fix up] here. Humberto, you have the floor.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: What happened is that when we met in Panama, I discussed this document with Jacqueline because we saw in fact there were some inconsistencies and some differences in the interpretation of the document. So we reviewed the document together, Jac and I. We did a review of the document. I have some notes on that. I don't have my computer right now and, as I was telling Silvia, I have some notes. But I was working with Jacqueline with this document. We had some format connections in the [form] of the document, but we discussed that in 30 minutes.

So I believe it would be important for us to be able to – I mean, I don't know if you want me to work on the correction of the document and on the corrections that we need to add to the Spanish version. Because as I said before, it only took us 30 minutes to solve all the issues appearing on the document. So perhaps we can do that.

DAVID PLUMB: There is an echo on your line, Humberto. Humberto, there is an issue here. When it comes to the [form] of the document, that might [inaudible]. But when it comes to the substance of the document, perhaps we need to discuss that in order to see what we need to change. Do you remember the substantial points or issues that you discussed with Jacqueline?



---

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Yes, I am reviewing the document. Please bear with me a couple of seconds. I'm just reviewing the document. The thing is that I can only open the first page of the document. Okay, let me see if I can open the document in my computer. So, David, you can go on with the call while I look for the document in my PC.

DAVID PLUMB: Okay, thank you, Humberto. Alberto, you have the floor. Go ahead, please.

ALBERTO SOTO: Well, I believe that Humberto and Jacqueline were working on the document. I would think that it would be more than enough to have Humberto working with us during this week to review the formalities document and to add to this document what we have already agreed upon. Because we are not going to start a discussion again. Because if Humberto discussed that before, I believe that the whole group would agree. So this would not cause any delay in our schedule, the schedule that we need to finish right now.

Now when it comes to Antonio's comment, Antonio is presenting a personal decision. He wants that decision to be expressed somewhere. But in the working group we work based on consensus, and this is based on what the majority says and we have a full majority [at times]. So I don't know how the chair of the working group would take this. Perhaps he might say that this is an individual comment because we cannot talk about minority opinions because it is only one comment.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I'm on the call right now. Can you hear me?

DAVID PLUMB: Sergio, you have the floor. Go ahead, please.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I don't know what Antonio commented before. Perhaps someone can help me with that. I'm opening my computer. I am starting my computer, so I'm close to connecting.

DAVID PLUMB: Sorry, Sergio, I did not understand your point.

ALBERTO SOTO: Sergio wants you to read what Antonio said on the chat. He says this, that on many occasions the work that we carried out is a voluntary work and the [figure] [inaudible] of the chair and secretary promote active participation. And the [figure] of the chair and vice chair does not promote participation. So I would like this comment to be included in the draft document.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay, thank you, Alberto, for reading the comment. I don't know what to do about this. I don't know if it is okay to add this on the operating

---

principles. What do you think about this? We have never discussed this before.

DAVID PLUMB:

I mean, what we can do is this. When we send out this document, there is a guideline that will be sent out together with the document, and we can mention that there is one member of the Governance Working Group who states that it is good to have the [figure] of the chair and secretary and that he does not agree with the fact of having a chair and a vice chair. I mean, you can communicate that to LACRALO. You can mention that it was not unanimous, and there is one member of the working group that would prefer to have something different.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Okay, David. Thank you very much for your suggestion. That might be one solution. But Antonio is saying that it is not okay to say that he doesn't like that. In fact, I don't see Antonio. Perhaps if he can take the floor, he would be able to explain this in a better way because it's not clear to me. Because we have the chair and the vice chair, he says that they do not promote participation. So perhaps I would like to have further information so as to be able to understand his point of view.

I see Alberto Soto. Alberto Soto, would you like to make a comment?

ALBERTO SOTO:

Yes. I don't know if I have already posted that. What I said was this, that Antonio should provide a rationale for his comment. In that case, we

---

might say that there is someone in the working group who has a different opinion, so he needs to write the reasons for his comment.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay, I do agree with you. He should say the reasons for his opinion, and this should be included under the framework of the working group.

ALBERTO SOTO: That is what we always do, in fact. Whenever we have a different opinion, a dissenting opinion, we provide the reasons for that. But it is important to provide the reasons because after that we can discuss the idea and then we can reach consensus. If there is no rationale for that, then we cannot reach consensus. That's the point.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: David, I give the floor to you again. I just wanted to say that I was connected on the call. But, David, please proceed with the call. You are the lead in this call.

DAVID PLUMB: Thank you, Sergio. Okay, let me see if I can understand what Antonio is saying. I don't know if you can take the floor. Perhaps it would be better for you to speak out your mind rather than writing or typing your comments on the chat.

Perhaps what we can do is this, we can communicate this. We can circulate this document. We can send out this document and we can

---

say, we can inform that we have this new system with the chair-elect as we usually do. We can also say that this proposal was not a unanimous proposal and that there is at least one member of the working group with a dissenting opinion who prefers to have only one option, and this is the chair and the secretary. We can express, we can state that when sending out the document.

However, within the working group, it is not that clear. We know that Antonio prefers the option of having chair and secretary, but I don't see other opinions and I haven't heard other opinions before. So when we circulate the document, we can say, we can state that there is at least one member of the working group who prefers this different option.

Okay, Antonio, that's right. You have been very clear in expressing your preference. The thing is, how we could add that information to a document drafted by a working group when we have so many members in the working group working on the document and when we discussed that in the Puerto Rico meeting. But I believe that it would be fair in this situation to state that in another document that will be circulated together with this document where we say that there is at least one member preferring a different system. That is to say the system of having the chair and the secretary we some sentences explaining or justifying that comment. So perhaps we can do that.

Humberto, you have the floor.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Okay, I have the document in English, the document that we discussed with Jacqueline. We worked on that document. We worked on the

---

English version of the document. I don't have the Spanish version. But what we did was this, there were many points that were related to the drafting of the document, to the wording of the document. There were some things that we were not clear [to us], even from the wording in Spanish.

For example, there was a translation [vice-secretary], but that should be translated as secretary-elect. Do you remember that we had a discussion in the past? And that was not translated into the English version. That was very important for Carlton and for Jacqueline. But we discussed that. I don't know if you remember that.

For example, in Item 7, on 7.4, the Continuity and Opportunity principle, we say that we make reference to that principle, but we never made a reference before.

Then, for example, on Item 7.1, where they speak about the LACRALO leadership positions, what we did was this, we need to improve the wording because the wording is quite ambiguous. So what I have still pending is to translate that version into Spanish.

There is another item, and let me check, when we speak about the functions of the board, let me check. I don't know if that item has been removed. Perhaps I removed that on the Spanish version. Please bear with me. I think it is Item 27, but let me check.

Okay, let me propose this. I offer myself to work on that so that we can move faster. I can take what I discussed with Jacqueline and within this week I will translate that again into Spanish so that we can create a table with the Spanish version and the English version, adding Jacque

---

and Carlton's comments. I believe that Carlton did agree with the observations made by Jacqueline in Panama. So the idea is to have this comparative table with all the comments [that were] quite reasonable so that we can move forward. Because we are somehow stagnated with all this. I don't know what you think about this.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Humberto, I do agree with your proposal. I also offer myself to help you. I'm going to review the grammar issue. I'm going to take that. Perhaps we can improve the wording of the document.

Hello? Can you hear me?

ALBERTO SOTO: I would like to take the floor. I do agree with Humberto and Sergio. As for Humberto's comment, I don't think it would be necessary to have an additional meeting because otherwise it will take another week. And I don't know if Humberto and Sergio agree with that, but I believe that we can work with this during this week and on the prearranged date, we can send out this document for translation.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Humberto, you have your hand up, so please take the floor.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Yes, that's why I insist on this. I think that it would be quite useful to work on the observations made by Jacqueline. And perhaps we can

---

extrapolate that into the Spanish version, and we can make a comparison between the English and the Spanish version just to [check] if there is any correction to be made. Because Jacqueline as a native speaker made some corrections that are quite accurate from the language point of view as far as I understand.

What I would like is to take Jacqueline's observations, to turn that into Spanish to make the corrections into the Spanish version as well so that we can start with the final discussion of the document and see then, [check] the details and then decide if it is going to be necessary to have an additional thinking to discuss these comments. But from my point of view, that is not so important. According to what I discussed with Jacqueline and taking into account Alberto's and Sergio's point of view, I think that would work.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Humberto. If you agree, do you have any idea or any clue of when we would be able to have these observations and modifications translated into Spanish so that we can have a discussion and perhaps to then [post] that into the final document? I mean when we can have these comments translated into Spanish and then just to adjust the Spanish version to the English version.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I think that on Friday we can do that.



---

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: So you think that on Friday you will be ready to present those observations?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Yes.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: So then we will have to work during the weekend and perhaps on Monday so that we can have the document ready.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: That sounds good.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: So the procedure, just to be clear, is this, to put the observations into Spanish. Then we have to revise the document in Spanish. And once we revise the document, once the document has been revised, we have to send out that document to translation for this document to be translated by the language service department.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Sorry. In fact, it's to validate the translation that is already in English because the corrections were carried out by a native speaker. So the only thing they will have to do is to validate the translation. So that's why we are going to send out again the document for translation. But that is only for the sake of validating the corrections.

---

SILVIA VIVANCO: Sergio, sorry for interrupting you. David dropped, so he lost part of the conversation. David, are you on the call right now? David Plumb, are you on the call? Can you hear us? I want to check that you are still hearing us.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: [inaudible] can hear us?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Sergio, please, can you sum up again?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: The process would be as follows. By Friday, Humberto is going to finish and is going to translate Jacqueline's observations into Spanish. Once we have that document ready, we are going to adjust the Spanish version so as to have both documents aligned. Once this is over, we are going to review the document. And for the sake of transparency, we want to have the same version in both languages. Then we are going to send that document to the secretariat for the secretariat to send that document to LACRALO.

After that, we are going to arrange a webinar, as suggested by Alberto at the beginning of the meeting, to provide some explanations and clarifications on the document and to answer some concerns and questions. Once this process is over, once the 30-day period is over, I think it [all set]. This is not a long document, and it's not that difficult to

---

understand. So after that period, we are going to post this document for a vote for this document to be incorporated as a final document for the region.

Alberto Soto, you have the floor.

ALBERTO SOTO:

I agree, Sergio. The only thing that would be missing there would be that Antonio Medina Gomez would send us the rationale for that request by e-mail until Friday so that we can all work on that and we can introduce also his rationale.

Today is July 17, so perhaps we could set a date as a deadline to send this document out for translation.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Alberto, what you are saying means that Antonio's position would be a minority position about this topic of the chair and the vice chair.

ALBERTO SOTO:

I wrote this down in the chat window. Whenever we speak about consensus, we are talking about a broad consensus, a general consensus. This is how we have been working so far. Here we do not have a unanimous opinion. We have only one individual with a different opinion, so he is going to provide us with a rationale for that position. Whenever we talk about a minority position, we mean that several individual disagree. But in this case, it is just one individual. So it is not a minority.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay, thank you. David Plumb, go ahead. Once again, you are in charge of the meeting. We only have 10 minutes left.

DAVID PLUMB: Thank you. I apologized. It was a little bit chaotic at that point.

After the public comment period, we can have some final adjustments based on those comments that we may receive. It doesn't make any sense to add Antonio's point as an opinion within the working group if in the end there will be strong LACRALO reaction and that will lead to a change. So as Alberto said, there will be one week after the public comment period for a quick review of those comments. And if necessary, those days would be used also for introducing these changes. But then the document will be posted for a vote. Is that clear?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yes. Perfect. I don't know if we have something else to discuss or we can adjourn this call. Do we need to stick to the time allotted for this meeting and we need to end the call at 24:00 UTC.

DAVID PLUMB: This is my suggestion. I think that we are quite well with this document. That is the plan, and we just need to stick to that timeline.

For this call, we had planned to spend a few minutes to talking about some other issues that we are dealing with inside the working group

---

just for everybody to be up-to-date. But I think that the most important part was this plan for the operating principles. I see that Silvia is asking for the floor. Would you like to make a comment, Silvia?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes. I just wanted to say that every document that has been translated has been posted on the Governance Working Group wiki page with the date that document was issued. You have the metrics document with the corresponding date and the same for the operating principles. So in the same wiki page, I'm going to post Jacqueline's document and I'm also going to add for comments there so that we can keep track of all these documents.

Let me remind you that there were two calls for comments by Maritza Agüero on July 6, and there was a comment on the paragraph referring to individual users and the metrics document from July 6 to July 20. So that period is still open for comments, so we can still have some changes to those two documents on individual users and metrics.

Silvia Herlein has also given us the document on the emeritus council, and that document has also been posted on the working group page. She has also called for comments for a 15-day period.

So these are three documents, one that will start with that call for comments tomorrow by Maritza, and two that will be closed in that period.

---

DAVID PLUMB: Thank you for that information, Silvia. Yes, that is right. We have this document. It is a little bit confusing when you have so many documents open at the same time, but we see that a couple of them are going to be closed.

Anything else? Alberto?

ALBERTO SOTO: Yes. Regarding the metrics document, it seems that there have been no comments made so far. So once the period is closed, if there are no comments, it would be advisable to send it for a vote immediately. Otherwise, if there are comments, we will have to check those comments. We would have to go over those comments.

DAVID PLUMB: Yes. Yes, we agree, Alberto. That is the plan. Everything has to be submitted to a vote.

ALBERTO SOTO: Hello? Hello? Can I take the floor.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, go ahead, Alberto.

ALBERTO SOTO: Because in our last meeting in Panama, remember that ALAC said that this could be taken to the next General Assembly if it is held in Canada.

---

We are the ones who decide who can go there and who can't, so we should be able to make that decision, not them. Thank you.

DAVID PLUMB: Thank you, Alberto. Humberto?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: If there are no comments, it is going to be submitted for a vote. Everything that has been discussed has been included in our plan. So in summary, we are going to vote on the document on individual users and the same will apply to the document on metrics. Then we have the emeritus council. And we wanted to conclude the operating principles and the Rules of Procedure. [inaudible] we want to complete that now. Probably we will have the one on individual users and on metrics at the same time. And probably that will enable us not to have so many calls for vote.

DAVID PLUMB: Okay, we are coming to the end of this call. So for Humberto, my suggestion is the following. Perhaps you can put together a schedule for the next steps so as to avoid any confusion about what we have to do with individual users amendment and with the operating principles in order to have a clear understanding to avoid confusion. Perhaps we can have a timetable for that.

Anything else? Because we are about to close this call.

---

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I think there are no more comments, David.

DAVID PLUMB: Sergio, anything else in closing?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I just wanted to agree to work with [inaudible]. We still have a few more days to work on this in order to take our final results to the region for approval. So that has been a great job.

DAVID PLUMB: Excellent.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: What is not clear to me is whether we are going to meet next week or not. I think that we are not, right? I think that we should let the process go on, on its own.

DAVID PLUMB: Thank you, Sergio. I don't see the need for getting together to have any discussions. I think that we need to incorporate Jacqueline's comments, send that for translation, and then send it to Maritza. And then to have a guide that will accompany this document that will be done by Antonio and also a guide in order to understand how to read and understand this document.



---

Right then. Thank you, all. We are at the top of the hour, so I would like to thank the interpreters. I would like to thank you all for participating. And we will keep in contact through e-mail to finalize this document.

ALBERTO SOTO: Can I have the floor once more?

DAVID PLUMB: Yes, Alberto. Sorry.

ALBERTO SOTO: Silvia is writing something about that. We hadn't been told that ALAC was going to make that decision. That is something that we should talk about, and I think that the RALO should be aware of that.

DAVID PLUMB: Thank you, Alberto. Okay, thank you. Bye. Goodbye to you all. Thank you.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**