

Adobe Connect: 19 members

Arsene Tungali	Martin Silva Valent
Ayden Ferdeline	Pam Little, RrSG
Darcy Southwell	Paul McGrady
Donna Austin	Philippe Fouquart
Heather Forrest	Rafik Dammak
Julf Helsingius	Rubens Kuhl
Keith Drazek	Stephanie Perrin
Marie Pattullo	Susan Kawaguchi
Michele Neylon	Tatiana Tropina
	Tony Harris

On Audio only:

Carlos Raul Gutierrez

Apologies:

Erika Mann

Staff:

Marika Konings	Ariel Liang
Mary Wong	Berry Cobb
Julie Hedlund	Nathalie Peregrine
Caitlin Tubergen	Terri Agnew

Marika Konings: (6/19/2018 06:34) Welcome to the EPDP Initiation Request and EPDP Charter Drafting Team meeting on 19 June 2018

Marie Pattullo: (07:47) Hi Marika!

Marika Konings: (07:48) Hi Marie

Tatiana Tropina: (07:52) Hi all :-)

Ayden Ferdeline: (07:52) Hi all

Rafik: (07:55) hi

Susan Kawaguchi: (07:59) Good morning!

Donna Austin: (07:59) You sound chirpy this morning Susan

Michele Neylon: (08:01) dialling in now

Michele Neylon: (08:01) I have audio to listen

Rubens Kuhl: (08:02) AC audio quality is much better today than audio bridge.

Rubens Kuhl: (08:02) (At least for the Brazil dial-in number)

Tatiana Tropina: (08:02) The same for me - I switched to AC for listening and muted the phone

Tatiana Tropina: (08:02) (I had a dial out)

Michele Neylon: (08:03) the passcode for this call was hilariously hard to say :)

Tatiana Tropina: (08:04) Michele, you and problems with saying an acronym? Can't believe my eyes :)

Michele Neylon: (08:05) I hate acronyms

Tatiana Tropina: (08:05) I will call you MN from now on :-)

Paul McGrady: (08:05) @Michele - Ironically, EPDP DT was the name of my high school band
Tatiana Tropina: (08:06) Paul *this* is hilarious
Arsene Tungali: (08:06) lol Paul
Michele Neylon: (08:06) Tatiana - I'll find a suitable name for you
Michele Neylon: (08:06) Donna is clear
Tatiana Tropina: (08:06) Michele, ooops am doomed.
Rubens Kuhl: (08:06) Tatiana's acronym must be in Cyrillic.
Keith Drazek: (08:07) Hi all
Tatiana Tropina: (08:07) Oh it's the same in cyrillic - TT :-)
Tatiana Tropina: (08:07) Hi Keith.
Marika Konings: (08:07) Between 9.00 and 15.00
Terri Agnew: (08:08) finding the line
Nathalie Peregrine: (08:08) @ all, please remember to mute your AC mics
Marie Pattullo: (08:11) Heather - please note that we are having a high interest session on accreditation model on Tuesday from 5 to 6:30
Martin Silva: (08:13) hi all
Marika Konings: (08:14) The notes & action items of the meeting will be circulated
Michele Neylon: (08:15) works for me
Heather Forrest: (08:15) cool Michele thanks
Marie Pattullo: (08:15) Donna - you can reach out to Steve DelBianco on the second session, he is organising that - Brian is doing the first one.
Stephanie Perrin: (08:15) Thanks.. Helpful for those of us who still print things before we go...
Julf Helsingius: (08:15) Couldn't get into AC on computer, listening on phone
Donna Austin: (08:15) Thanks Marie
Donna Austin: (08:16) Wednesday morning has some bad conflicts
Nathalie Peregrine: (08:17) Noted!
Michele Neylon: (08:17) +1
Philippe Fouquart: (08:17) +1 please :)
Michele Neylon: (08:17) My calendar is a mess
Ayden Ferdeline: (08:17) there are calendar invites available with the online scheduling tool
Marika Konings: (08:17) You can also send yourself calendar invites through the application, I believe
Marika Konings: (08:17) as Ayden said :-)
Paul McGrady: (08:17) Thank you!!
Paul McGrady: (08:18) @Ayden - thank you for the suggestion, but those wreak havoc on my Outlook (entirely my firm's fault, but even so its madness when I try to use it).
Ayden Ferdeline: (08:18) huge information assymetry as always - what is ICANN org planning...
Stephanie Perrin: (08:18) Yay Michele!
Marie Pattullo: (08:18) Depends on the Parliament.
Rubens Kuhl: (08:18) Just use characters like !@#&*
Ayden Ferdeline: (08:19) let's not forget Akhram's comments in DomainIncite a week ago - hardly neutral
Paul McGrady: (08:19) Is what was published meant to be part of an amended Temp Spec and/or a temporary policy so that something is in place during the year this is going to take us?
Tatiana Tropina: (08:19) Michele, if there is ever an ICANN news channel you should be a news anchor there.
Tatiana Tropina: (08:20) (I mean, radio or TV)
Stephanie Perrin: (08:20) I would watch that channel.
Tatiana Tropina: (08:20) Stepth, me too

Marie Pattullo: (08:20) We do need an accreditation model; we can't dispute that.

Tatiana Tropina: (08:20) *Steph

Stephanie Perrin: (08:21) We do indeed, but springing something they intend to vet with the DPAs while we are all packing for Panama is a mite disrespectful.

Rubens Kuhl: (08:21) Marie, we do need an opt-in accreditation model. There is dispute of a mandatory accreditation model.

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:22) +1 Rubens

Susan Kawaguchi: (08:22) This may be a path to a Temp spec on accreditation

Rubens Kuhl: (08:22) European TLD registries have been operating layered access with very little demand, and they share that they don't believe volumes will be high.

Michele Neylon: (08:22) ICANN cannot keep using temp specs

Michele Neylon: (08:22) it's farcical if they do

Stephanie Perrin: (08:22) Plus we are conflating (as always) accreditation policy and access mechanisms. They are not the same. Step by step is a great way to go, when building these things. Clarity as to what is a policy and a set of required management practices, and what is a system, would be a grand thing.

Rubens Kuhl: (08:23) And the initial request volumes from contracted parties after May 25 is also not showing strong demand.

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:23) But why consult with the DPAs and ascertain their comfort level with a "temporary" accreditation model - surely they'd be left to believe it was something permanent

Susan Kawaguchi: (08:23) @Rubens interesting would love to see those statistics in the work I do the registration data is still very necessary

Keith Drazek: (08:24) I think the question for the GNSO and Council is whether the Uniform Access Model (UAM) is a subject for a PDP or not. If so, it needs to be incorporated into the EPDP or a pra

Keith Drazek: (08:24) parallel EPDP or PDP.

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:24) parallel EPDP @Keith? are you suggesting two EPDPs?

Marie Pattullo: (08:24) @Rubens - we really do need a mandatory model if we are going to achieve any kind of harmonised process.

Rubens Kuhl: (08:24) Susan, it's necessary, but volumes are there only for a small subset of contracted parties. For them it looks like it makes sense, as evidenced by Tucows already deploying such a system.

Keith Drazek: (08:24) That's one option Ayden

Susan Kawaguchi: (08:24) if it becomes a Temp Spec then it will be a ePDP

Marika Konings: (08:24) as noted on the email, the first page of this document does not display well in adobe connect, so please use the version that I just circulated via email.

Keith Drazek: (08:25) Contracted Parties would have serious concerns with the UAM triggering another Temp Spec.

Nathalie Peregrine: (08:25) Erika Mann sends her apologies, she is in between flights.

Rubens Kuhl: (08:26) And considering the IETF experience in standards, a working model including - for instance - GoDaddy and Tucows would go a long way into making this a de-facto standard, much stronger than a top-down policy.

Michele Neylon: (08:26) the barrier for a temp spec is meant to be quite high

Michele Neylon: (08:26) doing it for GDPR in general can fly

Michele Neylon: (08:26) doing it for this access thing won't fly

Rubens Kuhl: (08:26) Michele, even for GDPR it's questionable. ICANN Org still owes us an answer on that.

Rafik: (08:27) @keith the other option we discussed is workstream approach

Stephanie Perrin: (08:27) There are potentially very large anti-competitive issues here that need to be resolved, no? A mandatory spec such as proposed would entail large costs, for a volume of demand that does not merit it....based on a fast scan.

Keith Drazek: (08:27) Yes Rafik, there are several options...one EPDP with Work Tracks, two EPDPs, or one EPDP and one PDP.

Stephanie Perrin: (08:28) Why can it not go to a normal PDP?

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:28) who will bare the costs for the implementation of this accreditation model? the contracted parties and registrants, or those who use this tool?

Keith Drazek: (08:28) It was included in the Annex to the Temp Spec, Michele. It's not part of the Temp Spec itself IMO.

Stephanie Perrin: (08:29) Indeed, Michele is raising very important procedural concerns.

Rubens Kuhl: (08:29) I suggest the "consent agenda" model. Doing a fast-track of uncontested items, where any single opposition of a SG or C takes it out of the fast track. Approve that fast-track and move to more contentious itens.

Donna Austin: (08:29) My comment was going to be what Michele said.

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:29) +1 Michele

Stephanie Perrin: (08:29) I did not spend two years of my life on the transition as some of you did, but it seems to me this is a travesty of process and accountability.

Rubens Kuhl: (08:30) Ayden, if we follow SSAC advice, then it will be registrnats.

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:30) and let's not forget about this ongoing court case too and the June 13 legal filings...

Paul McGrady: (08:30) Yes, we move ahead with a note that we don't have all the facts yet from Goran.

Rubens Kuhl: (08:30) Contracted parties are just conduits to get money from registrants. ;-)

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:30) @Rubens - very troubling, no registrant wants this tool...

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:31) i do not support "mov[ing] ahead with a note that we don't have all the facts yet" - we should not move ahead UNTIL we have the facts.

Keith Drazek: (08:31) Does anyone believe the Uniform Access Model is *not* a GNSO PDP issue? Or strongly believe it should be developed outside our remit?

Susan Kawaguchi: (08:32) @Keith it is a GNSO issue

Tatiana Tropina: (08:32) Keith, I thought it rather belongs to the cross community effort but after I read the ICANN Org doc am inclined to change my opinion

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:32) @Keith - I think it IS a GNSO PDP issue - to be dealt with through a traditional GNSO PDP, not as an EPDP

Keith Drazek: (08:32) If we agree this is a GNSO PDP issue, we should send a formal letter to ICANN thanking them for the preliminary work done as an input to our policy development work. But let's seek clarification rather than jump to conclusions about thier intent.

Michele Neylon: (08:32) FYI I am on a plane all day tomorrow

Paul McGrady: (08:33) Let's get started on the charter.

Arsene Tungali: (08:33) charter

Michele Neylon: (08:34) I can reduce that letter down to three letters and a question mark

Darcy Southwell: (08:34) +1 Donna

Stephanie Perrin: (08:34) I think we do need to write that letter. Park it and start work on the charter.

Michele Neylon: (08:34) Agreed

Keith Drazek: (08:34) LOL Michele

Susan Kawaguchi: (08:34) agree lets work on the charter

Stephanie Perrin: (08:34) I thought you did not like acronyms Michele?

Michele Neylon: (08:34) move on with charter

Michele Neylon: (08:35) and note we are upset with ICANN

Michele Neylon: (08:35) sure

Tatiana Tropina: (08:35) I want to join the volunteer group too if there is one

Stephanie Perrin: (08:35) Upset is beginning to not cover it.....losing all faith and trust would be closer....MS model a joke.

Rubens Kuhl: (08:35) I think ICANN is comfortable with us being upset with them.

Tatiana Tropina: (08:35) Hather, fine. I got it - no problem will comment on the list :)

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:36) does anyone think we will get a response that is meaningful? i don't. the previous responses from the Board have been beyond useless. no substance

Michele Neylon: (08:36) Tatiana I'll create a google doc now

Tatiana Tropina: (08:36) Ayden, not really but we can say what the heck

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:36) to quote JJ, "I want clarity"...

Tatiana Tropina: (08:36) Michele, tx tx

Rubens Kuhl: (08:36) When does the board workshop happen ?

Arsene Tungali: (08:37) thank you Michele for offering your time

Donna Austin: (08:37) Sunday

Marika Konings: (08:37) note that this template is neither adjusted yet for an EPDP Team as it refers to WG

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:39) Key

Stephanie Perrin: (08:40) Do we have any idea what the budget is?

Stephanie Perrin: (08:40) An awful lot depends on budget.

Mary Wong: (08:40) There has typically not been a specific budget amount allocated to any PDP.

Rubens Kuhl: (08:41) Deliverables: - Picket fence analysis of Temp Spec ; Consent approved items of Temp Spec ; RDDS Policy changes to adjust to evolving legislation and technology ; RDDS Layered Access Model .

Stephanie Perrin: (08:41) old hand sorry

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:41) I think we need to have that conversation w/ the Board then - making sure we a budget for independent legal advice, at a minimum

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:42) WHOIS2 RT is having a third face-to-face in Brussels next month (why??) - it has a never ending budget it seems. Our EPDP needs a suitable budget too.

Marika Konings: (08:42) There is a contingency that is part of the FY19 budget which I think covers unexpected 'GDPR' spend but it is not specific with regards to whether any of that could be allocated to this effort.

Stephanie Perrin: (08:42) we will need conflict resolution consulting contract, in my view.

Arsene Tungali: (08:43) who covers the possible face to face meetings that imo are crucial for the succes of this work?

Stephanie Perrin: (08:43) Also face to face meetings, not that I am a fan of travel, but this is going to be tough slogging, with or without figuring out the highly controversial tiered access model.

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:43) there is no way for this EPDP to work so rapidly without F2Fs

Rubens Kuhl: (08:43) Stephanie, my toddler has a simpler conflict resolution tool, a plastic hammer... cheaper as well.

Michele Neylon: (08:44) locking people in a room for 8 hours can help resolve issues

Michele Neylon: (08:44) +1 Donna

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:44) i would suggest a modest request of resources for basic data protection principles training

Donna Austin: (08:49) What is the staffing element of this Section?

Paul McGrady: (08:49) @Heather, are we taking a tour of this blank charter in its entirety, or should we speak substantively to these topics?

Marika Konings: (08:49) It is usually under working group roles, functions and duties

Marika Konings: (08:49) it details staff support

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:50) how many staff will support this EPDP? how many hours a week of support will it receive?

Heather Forrest: (08:50) @Paul - at this point we're just trying to reach agreement on the headings - we'll come back to substance (though not likely today)

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:50) i guess it is too early to know yet, but i am curious

Donna Austin: (08:50) so that fits under duties?

Marie Pattullo: (08:50) On the draft put forward by staff, we (BC) don't think the proposed size is realistic. We think we need a minimum of 6 per SG, with 3 alternates, and 2 from the GAC - one EU, one non-EU.

Paul McGrady: (08:50) Thanks Heather.

Marie Pattullo: (08:50) There's an awful lot of work here...

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:50) 6 per SG? no, sounds too expensive to me...

Michele Neylon: (08:51) 6 per SG is too many

Michele Neylon: (08:51) 3 plus alternates makes more sense

Rubens Kuhl: (08:51) If people could start floating suggestions for chair/vice-chair/co-chair, it would be interesting. Hint: not me.

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:51) Chair - Thomas Rickert

Paul McGrady: (08:51) @Ayden - & @Michele - IPC will be putting forth some suggested models on the list or in person in Panama.

Marika Konings: (08:52) @Ayden - staff support is available, but there may need to be prioritization of the GNSO versus other efforts as all our plates are pretty full (but obviously the pausing of the RDS PDP has freed up time for myself and Caitlin who will be main staff support for this effort).

Stephanie Perrin: (08:52) Staffing will depend on scope.

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:52) thanks @Marika

Julf Helsingius: (08:53) GAC wants 5 seats

Tatiana Tropina: (08:53) 5 seats?

Tatiana Tropina: (08:53) Am getting speechless. I think 3 is a good number.

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:53) 5 seats for the GAC? no, it is a GNSO working group

Arsene Tungali: (08:53) 5 for Gac? Julf? what is their rationale?

Michele Neylon: (08:53) OMG - Susan agrees with me

Stephanie Perrin: (08:53) Michele, we just had a model for accreditation sprung on us....with a number of assumptions inherent in it. Working towards consensus is proving itself a fairy tale at ICANN.

Michele Neylon: (08:53) quick everyone

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:53) 1 for the GAC is more manageable

Michele Neylon: (08:53) take note

Heather Forrest: (08:53) :)

Tatiana Tropina: (08:54) :)

Paul McGrady: (08:54) @Michele - agree. No extremists from any of the many "sides" of this debate. We need people who are coming in prepared to find a way forward that works for everyone.

Julf Helsingius: (08:54) Diversity

Michele Neylon: (08:54) Extremism isn't the issue

Stephanie Perrin: (08:54) We in the NCSG do not believe in maintaining a wide open WHOIS, and we are looking for fact based logic for acces. Not getting it, nor has any process paid any attention to that expressed goal.

Marie Pattullo: (08:54) 1 from the EU and 1 non-EU for balance is logical. And stops accusations of capture.

Michele Neylon: (08:54) being divorced from reality is the issue

Tatiana Tropina: (08:54) Marie :)

Stephanie Perrin: (08:55) IF GAC brings five members, three should be DPAs or their lawyers.

Marie Pattullo: (08:55) We need to get the job done & not be accused of anything, Tania ;-).

Paul McGrady: (08:55) @Michele - tricky though since we don't want GAC Advice to contradict ePDP WG outcomes.

Tatiana Tropina: (08:56) Steph, if we could dictate GAC what to do, am not sure

Julf Helsingius: (08:56) just reporting what GAC tells me...

Michele Neylon: (08:56) GAC advice isn't binding

Michele Neylon: (08:56) I should really keep my passion for other things

Keith Drazek: (08:56) I'll volunteer for one of them. I don't have strong feelings which one.

Tatiana Tropina: (08:57) God I would love to but am missing parts of ePDP on Tuesday because of the outreach :(

Donna Austin: (08:57) It would be good to have diversity across the Council for the leads

Keith Drazek: (08:57) Give me membership criteria

Keith Drazek: (08:57) Yep, happy to do it.

Paul McGrady: (08:58) @Keith, Should we start a string on Membership Criteria on the List or should we reserve it for Panama in person?

Donna Austin: (08:58) additionally, it would be helpful if the leads would be willing to be part of the community input session in Panama

Ayden Ferdeline: (08:58) @Paul - start on list is better i think

Michele Neylon: (08:58) Question: is everyone on council in this group or are there some people who aren't?

Keith Drazek: (08:58) Seems like it would be both together for efficiencies sake

Keith Drazek: (08:58) Yep

Paul McGrady: (08:58) Would be great if Keith could do both

Marika Konings: (08:59) @Michele - the DT consists of the whole Council

Michele Neylon: (08:59) thanks Marika

Paul McGrady: (09:00) Let's take 10 minutes and knock it out

Paul McGrady: (09:01) It will make the Listserve traffic more efficient if we have someone capturing it.

Stephanie Perrin: (09:01) Yes particularly since we are all travelling soon or now...

Keith Drazek: (09:02) I expect to have a draft scope/framework document to share with the Council in the near future.

Michele Neylon: (09:02) yes he can

Marie Pattullo: (09:02) I thought that was the rule? Keith is always victim - sorry, volunteer - in chief?

Susan Kawaguchi: (09:03) I will volunteer

Marie Pattullo: (09:03) But seriously - Keith: will that include what you think is/isn't in the picket fence?

Keith Drazek: (09:03) Yes Marie

Marie Pattullo: (09:03) Thanks!

Donna Austin: (09:04) I think it comes out of scope

Paul McGrady: (09:05) I can take on the Leadership issues.

Paul McGrady: (09:05) Yes

Tatiana Tropina: (09:05) It's really a pity that the ePDP session is scheduled during NCSG outreach which I moderate, so I miss two hours of ePDP session, I really would like to volunteer but... sigh

Tatiana Tropina: (09:05) Nearly jumping on my chair in anxiety

Marika Konings: (09:05) what is not specifically called out is EPDP Team working methods

Paul McGrady: (09:05) @Tatiana - I feel your pain. I will have to miss the IPC meetings which are double booked.

Rubens Kuhl: (09:06) I think for a consent fast-track first phase we could use full consensus, but for later parts, standard GNSO methodology.

Keith Drazek: (09:06) We should probably stick as close to existing guidelines unless there's a compelling reason otherwise. I also like Rubens' suggestion for fast-track consideration.

Heather Forrest: (09:06) Rubens, are you volunteering?

Rubens Kuhl: (09:07) Heather, yes.

Heather Forrest: (09:07) Thanks Rubens :)

Darcy Southwell: (09:08) Need to make sure existing guidelines can accommodate this very expedited timeline.

Darcy Southwell: (09:08) I can take that one, Heather.

Donna Austin: (09:09) Reporting not only to Council but Board and others as well.

Heather Forrest: (09:09) In light of Stephanie's comment about conflict resolution I think we need to consider this carefully

Donna Austin: (09:09) Agree Heather

Stephanie Perrin: (09:10) Sure I could do that Heather...

Paul McGrady: (09:12) Thanks All!!

Donna Austin: (09:15) a reminder that we have a dedicated mailing list for this effort

Paul McGrady: (09:15) @Donna - oops, already started a Leadership discussion on the usual list...

Michele Neylon: (09:16) I've sent the link to the Google doc to this list

Paul McGrady: (09:16) Safe travels all. See you soon.

Rafik: (09:16) thanks all

Ayden Ferdeline: (09:16) thanks all

Tatiana Tropina: (09:16) thanks all bye