
CLAUDIA RUIZ: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to you all. Thank you for attending the LACRALO activities in Panama call on Wednesday May 23rd, 2018 at 22 UTC. On Spanish we have Maritza Aguero, Humberto Carrasco, Ricardo Holmquist, and Alberto Soto. On the English channel we have Bartlett Morgan. On behalf of the staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Gisella Gruber, and myself Claudia Ruiz who will be on call management today. Our interpreter are Veronica and Paola. Before starting I would like to remind you to please say your name before taking the floor for the record and also for the interpretation. With this, I give the floor to Maritza.

MARITZA AGUERO: Thank you Claudia. I think that Humberto has also joined the call, I don't know if he wants to take the floor first. Humberto?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Yes I am connected.

MARITZA AGUERO: I am on the phone, so perhaps we can start with the first agenda item.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I am connected.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

MARITZA AGUERO: Go ahead Humberto. Please can you help us, from the staff to deal with the first item on the agenda, to please have it here on the screen. Can you hear me?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: I only have it in English, but I can read it aloud. It says number 2 LACRALO organizing committee members, Humberto, Maritza.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello, yes this is Silvia, Maritza. I can put some context, I drafted the agenda. The idea is for you to let us know whether you would like to create a organizing committee as we have done in the past with more members from LACRALO, or with these members, with the president, secretariat, and the three ALAC members, if that number is OK to organize the event and [inaudible] weekly calls or bi-weekly calls from now until Panama. Please let us know whether you would like to have another [inaudible] larger group, or this group is OK, and second, if you would like to start having conference calls, I think that would be ideal actually. That is the idea why this items is on the agenda. Please let us know Maritza about your decision, and Humberto.

MARITZA AGUERO: I believe that we should set up, as soon as possible, an organizing committee, as I don't know whether the 5 of us will have time enough, some of us are perhaps the distance from that place, or perhaps it would be better to have somebody at the local level in case we need to organize an event locally. That is my opinion, I don't know what you

think. I don't know if you agree with me, so I'll leave the floor open for your opinion. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you Maritza, can you hear me now?

MARITZA AGUERO: Yes I can hear you well.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I think that we need some support as it is very difficult to organize all these activities at a distance, remotely. Perhaps we can do that on Tuesday or Wednesday.

MARITZA AGUERO: Humberto, we are having problems with your call, we cannot hear you now. I think you dropped Humberto. Can you hear me Humberto?

ALBERTO SOTO: I have raised my hand.

MARITZA AGUERO: Go ahead Alberto.

ALBERTO SOTO: I agree with Maritza. I suggest that Humberto send an email to Jocelyn and the two Panamanian ALSes, and if they agree, they can appoint one liaison member to work staff. I think that could be quite helpful.

MARITZA AGUERO: Thank you Alberto. I have already mentioned this issue in some previous conversations, and Jocelyn is willing to help us, but perhaps we can try to find some external sponsorship in order to have some support, depending on the plans that we have.

ALBERTO SOTO: I think that is a top idea. Perhaps we can get the same support from Jocelyn.

MARITZA AGUERO: I have already talked with Jocelyn and with Leah, and I think that they cannot work together, but perhaps if we have separate events, they can work together. But, in this case, they need us to tell them what we are planning to do, so before organizing the committee, we also need to have a clear idea of what we are going to do.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Can you hear me now?

MARITZA AGUERO: Yes we can hear you Humberto.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: The problem is that now we cannot make a show, like we say in Argentina, or like we did in Abu Dhabi as people will think that we are wasting money in a show, so we would like to have a cocktail party with some drinks where we can have some speeches, some presentations, some announcements, therefore people to engage in networking. That is the only thing that we can do.

MARITZA AGUERO: Then, we would have to determine when we are going to carry out that activity. In the afternoon, in the evening, in order to have a networking event and allocate funds for it, to prepare something in addition to that.

ALBERTO SOTO: I am asking for the floor.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Go ahead Alberto.

ALBERTO SOTO: Yes. They choose follow in. Remember that there will be some social events, there is an ALAC event where I will be the cook. That will take place in the evening. I can confirm tomorrow how long that will last.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: When would that happen?

ALBERTO SOTO: I am waiting for Gisella's confirmation, but you need to consider that there are almost every single day some other social activity.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Yes Alberto, what I think is that we should consider a new alternative on Gisella's suggestion. We can have an event starting at 6:30 running until 7 with some drinks, from 7 to 7:30 we could join the main ICANN cocktail, but why on Tuesday? Because on Tuesday then we have... there is another event.

ALBERTO SOTO: Yes, thank you Humberto. I had forgotten that there was another event afterwards. So, we already know which date we cannot do that, so Tuesday is not the right day.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Yes I would like to...

MARITZA AGUERO: We lost you Humberto.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I suggested that we organize an event from 6:30 to 7.

MARITZA AGUERO: If you allow me, I have Gisella who would like to give us a more detailed view of the coordination work and the events that are in the schedule, so I would like to give the floor to Gisella for her to give us that kind of description. Go ahead Gisella.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you very much Maritza, thank you very much Humberto. Just coming back to the LACRALO event in Panama. I would like to point out that this being a policy forum, the format of the policy forum is that in the evening from 6:30 to 7:30 we have the community networking event, which is the social event based around a cocktail to allow for networking across the various groups. This happens on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, again from 18:30 to 19:30 at the venue in the main foyer. Then on Thursday we have the usual closing cocktail. Coming back to the LACRALO event, I know we're talking about the networking event at the moment. I'd just like to point out that as it stands now, the LACRALO open house, which is a 60 minute more formal meeting, is scheduled to take place on Tuesday from 12:15 until 13:15, so that is one hour in the ALAC room, and we're looking to have this in a normal set up with the U table, as I said a more formal meeting, and we will have a light lunch served at this time. The options for a LACRALO networking event, again I have to emphasize that this does need to be outreach focused, as the meetings team would generally like to avoid any overlapping between the social event in the evening from 18:30 to 19:30, with any other event at this time. I have been discussing this with meetings team and saying that this will act as an outreach event, and a suggestion was to have the event from 18:30 to 19:00 in the ALAC room with interpretation, with our regular setup of having

some speeches, and then I'm looking into the option of having, possibly a drink served at the same time, but I won't have that answer to earlier next week. Then we could move over to the main cocktail area to continue with the ICANN main cocktail from 19:00 to 19:30. On Tuesday evening we do have Gems, which is likely to kick off at 20:00, and the only other option for the ALAC social event which is not yet confirmed, but as Alberto said, we are working on it, would be for Wednesday evening, again after the social networking event, not before 20:00. I had sent through an email initially with another option which would have been during a lunchtime, if you recall we did this for the NARALO event in Puerto Rico, where we had the outside terrace setup with a podium and audio visual, so we could have the microphones, we didn't have interpretation, so that is the only issue of having it outside of ALAC room is that for this meeting in Panama we will need interpretation, so that also limits the areas that we can hold this networking event. I would just like your thought on the Tuesday or Wednesday evening from 18:30 to 19:00, I would need a description of this meeting and it again, I need to put it forward to meetings team and have the final confirmation on this, to make sure that it does fit in, in the remit of outreach. Do we have any questions so far? Sorry, I am just checking in the...

MARITZA AGUERO:

We see that Gisella is describing an event that will take place between 18:30 and 19, and we only have Tuesday or Wednesday, right? I would rather do it on Wednesday, in order to avoid the overlapping with Gems, right?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Yes, it wouldn't be overlapping with Gems event as it would only take half an hour. Our event would be from 6 to 6:30, then the...

MARITZA AGUERO: They said from 6:30 until 7:30, that would be the networking event. That is what we see in the afternoon, but we can only have it from Tuesday or Wednesday.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I have no problem with doing it on Wednesday from 6:30 to 7:30, I agree with that provided that we have interpretation available.

MARITZA AGUERO: Humberto the problem is that if on Tuesday we have Gems, probably, you won't be able to have all that. We would like to have some speeches, so it would be better not to have it overlapping with Gems.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Yes, you are right, so Wednesday.

HEIDI ULLRICH: If I may comment.

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: Alberto wants to take the floor, I want to take the floor, and I would like to say something, so if I may, could you please give me the floor, because I know that it's someone from staff who are controlling the agenda. On the other hand, I see Gisella is typing what she has from the agenda, from 6:30 to 7:30 we will have an event in the ALAC room with interpretation, then we have the main meeting, so there will be two different meetings, and then the ALAC room.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Please go ahead Ricardo, you have the floor, go ahead please.

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: So, according to the agenda, and according to what Gisella is posting on the chat, from 6:30 to 7, that would be in the ALAC room with interpretation. Then, from 7 to 7:30 PM, we would have an event in the main ICANN room. There we will have the cocktails. The main meeting that will take place from 6:30 to 7, we will have interpretation and some speeches, but it will not be a cocktail. So, if it takes one hour it will be half an hour in fact, because, since this is... then the LACRALO people will have to go to the main meeting and to the main ICANN room. So this is what the agenda states, this is what we have on the agenda, what we have on the email, and this is what Gisella is ratifying on the chat. Now, secondly, we have to make some decisions and if this is all that we want to coordinate, I mean, we have to, at somewhere from Panama, because if we will have only four or five speakers, probably Humberto will be one speaker, Maritza, any of the three ALAC members, perhaps another speaker would be Rodrigo [inaudible] and that's all. So, for only

30 minutes, half an hour, that would be enough, we will have no time for other speeches.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: OK. If that is the case. Maritza sorry for interrupting you. The agenda is correct... I mean, what Ricardo says about the agenda is correct. We have half an hour in the ALAC room with interpretation and then we will have another half an hour in the main ICANN room, without interpretation. You're right. Now Gisella is saying that she doesn't know whether we will have interpretation, we will need to confirm that. So, if we only have to prepare speeches, I don't think we need extra help. But, if we have to create a roadshow, like the one that we had in Argentina, well that would be something different, but now taking into account the current circumstances, I don't think that would be a good idea.

MARITZA AGUERO: OK. Well this is what we have to define, that is not what we discussed at the very beginning. I think that we need to see the funding that we have allocated to this to see if we need sponsors, or if the money that we have already is enough to have finger food and some drinks.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I believe that we do have funding for that. Because Gisella said that we have money for that activity.

MARITZA AGUERO: I know that we have \$2,700 available, so perhaps we need some clarification from Gisella, I don't know if that's OK.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi, if I may.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Heidi, go ahead please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. Thank you so much, and thanks, I have been listening to all of your comments, just a couple of comments here. Regarding the funding, LACRALO has a total of \$2,700 for this event. That is the 1,200 which is the normal amount for a networking event, and also 1,500 from the RALO discretionary funding. Now you can use that all for the networking event, or you can use a little bit for the open house, if that's appropriate, but that's up to you. I don't know whether \$2,700 will be enough for the light food, I would assume it is. What I've heard, the cost of catering is relatively reasonable, so that would be enough, and we could also, I would assume that we would have enough with 2,000 frankly, for the networking and particularly because we're going to be having the cocktails provided by ICANN, during their normal cocktail event. So there should be at least 1,000 or so left over, 700 left over, that we could use for the open house. In terms of the dates, I do understand that Humberto, you have rehearsals for Gems on Tuesday night, starting at 7. So that does seem to think, result in the fact that we do need to have the networking session on Wednesday. Now we could

have that networking session be the outreach, open house part 2, so you could have an open house on the Tuesday, meaning a formal meeting room, followed by the next evening, more of a networking event for that open house, so you could invite people to that open house part 2, evening networking session on Wednesday. That would allow it to be more of an outreach event, which this does need to be categorized as. Finally, my last comment. In terms of speakers, if you wish to consider inviting Goran, Shereen, the board chairman, as well as Leon from your region. Thank you so much.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much Heidi for the information. I believe that what you say is reasonable Heidi, I do agree with you. I don't know if anyone would like to make a comment about this?

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: I believe that perhaps we can invite someone like, [inaudible] Panama that is not an ALS, but I was personally contacting them, the chair of the ISOC Panama was one of the first [inaudible]. So, she knows about ICANN, I know we can't invite everyone.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: The open house event arises from other meetings at ICANN, but we had one particular meeting in Puerto Rico which was really interesting for us. We invited people from other constituencies, and they told us they were from the Latin American and Caribbean region, and they told us what we're working about, but we didn't have simultaneous

interpretation, so the meeting was quite limited in that respect, as not everyone was able to speak. Anyone can participate, anyone from Latin America can participate and provide their opinion, feedback and they can speak about what they did. I don't know if that is clear for you right now.

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: OK. Thank you Humberto for your clarification.

MARITZA AGUERO: What Ricardo says is really interesting, as in the last [inaudible] meeting in Puerto Rico, someone from the government, a government representative was invited and he made a great contribution, there was a very specific topic. It would be quite good to have an agenda to create the agenda for that. For the sake of time, I believe that we should focus on what we are discussing right now and this is the networking event. It would be interesting to know whether we can have an agenda, very defined and detailed to catch people's attention for this open house event.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Well, I would rather have this event on Wednesday.

MARITZA AGUERO: I agree with that Humberto. What do you think? What about the rest? Alberto, Ricardo, what do you think about having this event on

Wednesday? Alberto says that he agrees with that. Do we all agree with that?

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: Yes, sorry. I was paying attention to the Webex page, so I say that I believe that any of the two days would be the same, so if we agree on Wednesday, that's OK. I would suggest what Humberto is saying, to create an agenda for that half an hour, so perhaps we can create, and draft the agenda by email and of course, we should take into account Heidi's recommendations.

MARITZA AGUERO: OK, fantastic. Sorry for interrupting you. What is the proposal that we have according to the funding that we have, we have finger food, we have drinks. I mean, what is the proposal that we have for that?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: So Heidi, could you please... this is a question for Gisella. Gisella, what does the budget cover for the event, what is included?

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you very much, this is Gisella for the transcript. Just listening to what's been discussed, if we go ahead with 18:30 to 19:00 in the ALAC room with interpretation, which I will confirm after this call back with meetings team, and again emphasizing this is the outreach event. I will ask if it's possible to have at least drinks served in the ALAC room during the speeches. Again, bearing in mind that 18:30 is when the cross

community session ends, so we need to allow 5 minutes to allow people to get to our meeting room. Then we will need to make our way towards 19:00 or 5 minutes past the top of the hour to the main cocktail area, to make sure you still get some drinks and food. So, what the budget will include at this stage and until I have the final answer from meetings team, would be to have drinks in the ALAC room while we have the speeches, and then to look into with what's left, to have possibly some form of entertainment, you may recall in Johannesburg, we had entertainer greeters outside the meeting room and walk us through to the cocktail area, and then enjoy 10 minutes of entertainment. We've got to see if it's feasible, and also what kind of entertainment we'll be looking at, maybe some kind of dancers, something not too invasive as people will be holding a networking cocktail and having discussions. But I think that definitely for 10-15 minutes it would be appreciated by everyone. Then, the question is whether we open up the funds to also allow for the lunch at the open house, which is on the Tuesday lunchtime. Heidi, was that your train of thought as well? Heidi, Silvia?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes, that's what I would think as well. I am just taking some notes and putting them into the chat. I do think, for the funding, just to clarify we have 2,700 total, we could take 700 of that to pay for the [inaudible] lunches for the open house meeting on Tuesday. That gives us 2,000 remaining, and that again should be more than enough for light snacks on Wednesday evening. In terms of the entertainment, I haven't heard any information about what kind of entertainment that will be, and

what the cost of that will be, so perhaps we can talk a little bit about that.

GISELLA GRUBER: May I.

MARITZA AGUERO: Gisella, may I take the floor.

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, thank you.

MARITZA AGUERO: So, the budget would cover, I mean of course we have to confirm that. We will have some snacks and soft drinks, as we're talking about soft drinks, and perhaps something for the [inaudible]. The additional funding that we need is for this possible show or dancing event, and if we're going to hire dancers, perhaps, do we have the staff support or should we resort to any local ALS to help us with this? Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I don't know if there are anymore views to share? Alberto Soto is asking for the floor. Alberto first and then Silvia.

ALBERTO SOTO: Since you have already talked with Leah, I suggest that you ask Leah for something very short. Something that would be inexpensive for us. I

think that she can contact a sponsor that can pay for that. Thank you. She has experience, I know that she did a great job at the IGF and she has a lot of contacts, that it can be helpful. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Humberto, I wanted to say the same. Basically for the entertainment part, usually the local ALSes provide us with that, so will have to contact Jocelyn, or Leah [inaudible] and see if they can help us, with getting dance group, a very short performance.

ALBERTO SOTO: Just 5 or 10 minutes, no more than that.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, just to add some joy for colors to the event.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you for your suggestions. I have taken note of all your comments. With Maritza, we will try to coordinate this. I think, Maritza, we should find out with Leah if she can get us a dance group.

MARITZA AGUERO: Yes, I will talk to her.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Do we have any other questions?

MARITZA AGUERO: Are we going to introduce any souvenirs or any gifts? Are we going to get a presenter? Do you have any suggestions? As we need to produce the brochures on LACRALO for distribution and I'm sure that ICANN staff can also help us with some speakers, and with other type of merchandise to distribute in this kind of event.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I guess that you are asking that question to Gisella?

SILVIA VIVANCO: I can answer about the brochures as you know, I want to thank you all for your comments, we have already sent them out for translation, we have those green brochures and LACRALO card. As far as souvenirs are concerned, we do not have any LACRALO souvenirs right now, that is something sometimes we can provide through sponsorship.

MARITZA AGUERO: Yes OK. I understood.

ALBERTO SOTO: I am asking for the floor.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Go ahead Alberto.

ALBERTO SOTO: Yes, I agree with Silvia, for the two meetings in Buenos Aires, I was able to contact a local sponsor, so perhaps Leah could also get a local sponsor for that, but as Humberto said, perhaps we shouldn't use that kind of funding for souvenirs. I think that it would be better to have some external sponsorship for that.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you Alberto, I fully agree with you. We would be highly criticized if we were to use that funding for souvenirs.

MARITZA AGUERO: Yes, precisely, that is what I was asking about. Now it is clear. These are separate issues. If we get the sponsors, of course, we would use them properly, we will not use funds that should be allocated for other purposes.

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: I am asking for the floor.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Go ahead Ricardo.

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: I think that we still have to put together agenda and determine who is going to take the floor, and for how long. Then look at the local sponsorship alternatives. Mainly, considering the ICANN event sponsors in Panama, the dot pa is not too big and usually all the sponsors

[inaudible] governance events have to do with an innovation authority from Panama. But I think that they will need to provide sponsorship for the main event. So I don't think that we can get any support through them, so perhaps we can do something more at the regional level. I think that it is possible to get more support at the regional level, rather than from Panama.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you Ricardo for your comment. You have raised two important issues, [inaudible] could speak with some other people to see if we can get some support and then I think that in the agenda, we should have the president of LACRALO, an ALAC member, and [inaudible] making speeches, short ones, and like what we did in Puerto Rico, four speeches, I think that will be enough.

MARITZA AGUERO: Perhaps we can send an email with all those suggesting names and also to get Bartlett's opinion and other people's opinion.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Yes, I agree. Are there any other outstanding issues to discuss here?

MARITZA AGUERO: I want to make a proposal because I must leave, if you allow me, I can take just 30 seconds to do that. I would like to ask the university of Lima, to do something for the LACRALO design, at least to have a banner

or something. Just think about that and then I can contact them, I can contact the dean of that university.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Can you please put that in writing through email, Maritza?

MARITZA AGUERO: Yes, sure.

ALBERTO SOTO: Can I have the floor?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Go ahead Alberto.

ALBERTO SOTO: I think that Heidi is asking for the description of a LACRALO networking open house event.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I think that you refer to an objective item... I am about to prepare something along those lines. Thank you Alberto.

ALBERTO SOTO: You're welcome.

MARITZA AGUERO: Do we have any other issues to discuss as I must leave?

SILVIA VIVANCO: The next item has to do with a details about the agenda and the speakers, we already have some general ideas, so I can open a Wiki page, if you agree, that would be called 2018 LACRALO event in Panama, and we can prepare a draft and we can put in there all the details and I switched channels and I couldn't hear whether you were able to get more people to be part of the organizing committee, or if it is just us, I don't know what the decision is, what you would like to do?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Can you please repeat your question?

SILVIA VIVANCO: We are talking about an organizing committee, so are we going to continue with the same structure, or do you want this committee to be open to the community and to add more members?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I would simply say that the more people, the more delays we will have, so perhaps we can just a couple of people who could help us with the details about performances or the dance groups, but no more than that, otherwise it will become very difficult to work with a large group. Unless we find another way to work.

SILVIA VIVANCO: OK. So, I'm going to open up an unrestricted public Wiki page, and will post there the details of a draft agenda, some sort of backbone, so that can later on fill in the details, the speakers, the topics, and we hope that in the monthly call we can have an update for the LACRALO membership, then you would also need to agree on the next meeting, in order to be well coordinated. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Silvia, so you are going to send us a summary of the meeting through the action items page?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, I am going to send you a list of the action items for you to review them, to check whether I have missed any. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Are there any further questions? It seems there are none, then I would like to say goodnight to Ricardo because it is very late for him, and we adjourn this call. Thank you for your participation and I would also like to thank the interpreters because they are very patient with all of us. Good night everyone, bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]