
CLAUDIA RUIZ: Good morning, afternoon, evening everyone. Welcome to the LACRALO governance working group call on Tuesday 24th April 2018 at 23:00 UTC. The list of participants in Spanish we have, Sergio Salinas Porto, David Plumb, Harold Arcos, Aida Noblia, Alberto Soto, Maritza Agüero, Vanda Scartezini, Humberto Carrasco. In English we have Dev Anand Teelucksingh. Our interpreters are Paula and Medina. On the staff side, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, and myself Claudio Ruiz, who will be managing the call today. Before we start, let me remind all participants that please say your name before you speak, not just for the transcript, but also for the interpreters. Now I will give the floor to Sergio.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you Claudia, good morning, afternoon, and evening everyone. In our call today David will be managing it, David Plumb, and this was previously agreed with him so that I can be here as another member of the region, so he will be doing the management of the call. With these words, I will give the floor to David who will start discussing our agenda, so David please go ahead.

DAVID PLUMB: Thank you Sergio and thank you everyone. Our participation is highly interesting today, and this is one of a series of calls, at least two maybe three, where we will be addressing the most overwhelming issues that require discussion after the Puerto Rico meeting last month. In this call we are going to discuss two topics after our agenda, in particular is the

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

issue of individual users and the agreement discussed in Puerto Rico and the next steps. Then the other topic is the potential mechanism of chair elect and secretary elect to develop a leadership in LACRALO. These are the two topics we are going to discuss today in this call. The method will be as follows, I will start with the background of the Puerto Rico meeting, I will make a brief summary, and then we will discuss how to better understand what happened there, if there is anyone in this call who did not attend that meeting. Then how to translate those discussions and agreements into a new version of the operating principles or other actions that LACRALO requires in order to implement those agreements, so this is what we're going to do. Let me add something else before we start. In Puerto Rico, in those two days of conversations, at the very beginning of the meeting we knew that before talking about governance and these issues we had to talk about the common purpose, the goal, the mission of LACRALO. Because if we did not provide such context governance makes no sense, and that conversation was very interesting and it reflected on an agreement that you can see on the slides of the summary. I urge you that as we discuss, as we hold this call, please have those slides at hand. Silvia has already updated the Wiki page with this work and it's posted on the Wiki there. Please open up the document, the powerpoint slide deck, so that we can remember what happened in Puerto Rico. We said that before talking about governance, we should discuss what is this common purpose, what are we doing here in LACRALO and why. That is a summarized in the slide number 6 of the overview. Please, I urge you to read this as I've seen many mail. What are we doing in the community and the answer is there. Let's start with our first issue before that, which is the individual users, and here in our groups, the groups of the

Puerto Rico, had discussions and we decided some things there and that summary of those decisions is on slide 14. There is first the principle, is that LACRALO wants to promote broad participation, while recognizing the value given by the ALSes in the representation of interests. It was decided on the basis of that principle that LACRALO indeed wants to have individuals participate and enable the participation of individuals in LACRALO activities and discussions and what to do. That has to be reflected explicitly, even though it is implicitly present in the current version, but in the new version of the operating principles it has to be explicit. That is also related to the review, the conclusions of the LACRALO review, well it's the only RALO that has no explicit mention of the actions with individual users or members, so everyone agreed that it is necessary to update the operating principles with this explicit invitation to individual users to participate in LACRALOs activities. Now, how to do that was not that clear. Some preferred or said that what other RALOs did was good, but that was not jointly agreed by all. There was no firm agreement either on whether individual users could volunteer as candidates for positions of representation. There was wide consensus though not unanimous, on the fact that individual users could apply for positions in the ALAC structure, but not as the LACRALO leaders, chairs, secretary etc, because they are not representing an ALS. That was in essence what was discussed in Puerto Rico. Now, I would like to know from those who were not attending the meeting in Puerto Rico to ask and to let us know if they have any questions, any doubts about this individual users. I also want to know those who actually were there to let me know if I made any misinterpretation, or if I'm making any omissions. So, let me open up now the call for questions or improvements of my overview of the Puerto Rico discussions.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: David, can I speak?

DAVID PLUMB: Yes please, go ahead.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I think that your summary was almost perfect, if I may, let me make an addition which I consider is relevant. We agreed in Puerto Rico that we were going to implement a short reform of the current operating principles, acknowledging individual users as participants, with voting rights, for the time being, and that the other rights of end users, either to apply for a position would be reformed in the next reform of the operating principles. That's all.

DAVID PLUMB: Thank you Humberto. What Humberto was saying, that there was an issue of temporality, timing. There was a certain urgency to send, to convey a signal that LACRALO is opening up a space explicitly right now, for individual users participation, but we can take more time to resolve these questions about positions, etc. Something that will be included in further procedure and the like. Now, what else? Another improvement of my summary or questions from those who did not attend?

ALBERTO SOTO:

I want to speak. Thank you. I do not know if we have to write it or not, but this is the following. ALAC has already submitted its report on the at-large review and it is this at-large review which might or might not change the way in which we have our composition right now. The most radical reform could be that ALSes would eventually disappear and that everyone would be individual users, that is the final recommendation of the reviewer. The urgency of this is that only now, ALAC last week or a couple of days ago, submitted the really final report, rejecting that, but we do not know what the board will decide. Until now it has followed all the decisions of the reviews, there have been very few cases in which it opposed, but it would be very appropriate that we do this very quickly and make it very clear that LACRALO has two types of members, ALS members and individual members, and that the other changes will be made in the future as Humberto said. That's all we have to say, the only thing we have to make clear is that we have two types of members, organizations and individual users, that's the more important thing and this is urgent. Thank you.

DAVID PLUMB:

Thank you Alberto, I'm reading a comment from Dev on the chat, he says... sorry can you hear this is Dev... David sorry. I have an error message, so I was saying... I was reading the chat and Dev was asking, apparently what is needed is a documented phrase, I'd rather have Humberto answer Dev's question, so Humberto please go ahead.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: The only thing that we need is a phrase on the current operating principles, recognizing expressly the participation of individual users, and that phrase, or that paragraph should also make reference to the fact that the voting system or the potential candidacy for a position would be carried out within the procedures or a future reform of the operating principles, something along those lines.

DAVID PLUMB: Alberto, please bear with me. Sergio Salinas has the floor.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Dear Dev, we have sent to the mailing list a document with a few lines, so that in this working group we could proceed to approve or not that document, and that document is draft amendment for our operating principles indicating exactly what you have made reference to following the logic of ALAC and in order to avoid putting any obstacles there. Thank you.

DAVID PLUMB: Thank you Sergio. Good, anyone write in the chat window, this phrases we are referring to. Could someone post those phrases there? Now I'll give the floor to Alberto Soto.

ALBERTO SOTO: I'm going to write them down in the chat window as that was going to be my proposal David, so I am going to write them there in that chat room.

DAVID PLUMB: Dev, you have the floor.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Can you all hear me?

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Yes Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: OK, Thank you. This is Dev Anand speaking. Can we done set up the Wiki page, because if I remember David's email, that is what he will do, in order to make sure everyone is on the same understanding. We set up a Wiki page looking at this individual users and then the draft text that was done by, I don't know who done the draft text, but you can put that up on the Wiki page and then we could comment on it and suggest refinements, so discuss what it means there as a way to move forward. Just create one Wiki page talking about individual users in LACRALO, and you circulate that link. You can then comment on it. [inaudible].

DAVID PLUMB: Yes, thank you Dev. In effect, I would like now to post that in the chat window and perhaps I can forward an email to the group. I am little bit confused now as there was an email with a new draft for text, for the operating principles and another email with these options only, so let's focus on these two phrases. Perhaps we can have it at hand here, I don't

have it at hand right now, but perhaps Sergio and somebody else can share those phrases here. Any other comments which we look for those phrases, those specific phrases? I see that Alberto is writing in the chat window, and there are two phrases in effect. You can read them, and perhaps Humberto can suggest which would be the new approach in ALAC, so that in LACRALO we can reformulate more broadly our operating principles. Humberto, is there a plan as to how to give a signal to ALAC that we are making progress on this?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Yes. I wanted to reach an agreement in the group or statement. Once we have agreed on a proposed phrase, we can submit it for discussion through the mailing list between 7 and 10 days. After that, we can vote on that.

DAVID PLUMB: Where would we incorporate those phrases.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: They would be included in the current operating principles, but I would say that the proposal put forward by Sergio Salinas that I cannot find it right now, has been quite suitable. Perhaps we can fine tune it a little bit, but I think that was a good proposal. The way in which participation is regulated, will abide by the rules of procedure, which are different from the operating principles.

DAVID PLUMB: Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO: I apologize David for interrupting you. About the methodology, I am looking for the email that you referred to about the phrases on individual users since it is quite difficult to do that with it's email, perhaps you recall that we defined it that all the comments should be posted on the Wiki page as the methodologies, so I would like to draw your attention to the fact that here I am including the link to the Wiki page to the governance working group for 2018. Here we can have different issues, or we can have a comment section for the comments on the phrases. I would rather give priority to this kind of working method rather than doing that through the emails, because it is quite difficult for us to follow up on emails and look for them.

DAVID PLUMB: Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Currently sending in Spanish the text that was sent as an amendment to the rules of procedures. This is in Spanish so I will ask somebody to read it in English for our English speaking colleagues, and at the same time I wanted to post a question here, this has to do with a procedural issues. Once we forward this to the region, what we are going to do in or to introduce an amendment to our operating principles if we do not hold an assembly. I don't have an answer to this question, so I'm asking this question myself. How can we make sure that that happens?

DAVID PLUMB: Perhaps Alberto can answer.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: As Carlton says, I am chatting with him. We are constantly in an online assembly, so the fact that we are having this meeting means that are fulfilling all the requirements of holding an assembly so we are perfectly in a position to do that.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Now Humberto's answer leaves me with another question. Because we are making clear that we hold face-to-face meetings, the monthly meetings are not assemblies, the term that we use assembly with format according to the principles of the common law, is different for those of us who follow the [inaudible] law, so perhaps here we have an interpretation issue and we will have to make some provision for that because I'm afraid that this may cause some conflict, whenever we want to make an amendment, whenever we have tried to introduce an amendment we have always tried to do that in a face-to-face meeting. This is something that we have discussed on repeated occasions.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I think that we can abide by the principles of an online meeting.

DAVID PLUMB: So, I suggested that we make a post now, although this is quite a relevant discussion and see whether we agree with the intention and the word that we want to use, the language that we want to use, and then we can look at those procedural issues. I see that Alberto and Dev are asking for the floor, so first Alberto. Alberto, you have the floor. We cannot hear you Alberto. I cannot hear you Alberto, I'm going to give the floor to Dev, once we solve your audio problem, Alberto you will have the floor. Dev, go ahead please.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: OK. Thank you, this is Dev Anand speaking. If I understood, which I believe was Sergio speaking, and apologies if I've mistook the speaker, regarding virtual assemblies. When you have a motion [inaudible] everybody in LACRALO to vote on, everybody is present. You don't have to have a face-to-face meeting to decide on to make a change in the bylaws as such. Just to clarify, it is not a conference call, which I wanted to correct. It cannot be a conference call and an agreement on a conference call, if the conference call is not [inaudible], the only way it is [inaudible] is when everybody is emailed the motion to vote on or to consider or to abstain, and the vote is tallied according to our current rules, regarding country coefficients, that's it.

DAVID PLUMB: Thank you Dev. Before going into the procedural discussion, let me go back to the issue of the language we are discussing here. The approach, we think that there are comments in the chat window and then we also have a document on the Wiki page. Does anyone have problems with

that kind of approach? I wanted to give the floor to Alberto, but I think he cannot speak. Sergio, would you like to take the floor?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yes precisely. I have now some questions in my mind and I don't see the people in the call, the ones who raised those questions. Those of us here are of the idea of supporting the incorporation of individual users within the operating principles and to go ahead with amendment in order to provide a solution to this issues raised ALAC. We have all shared our views, I specifically said that we shouldn't necessarily ALAC instructions to the letter, but anyway I think that we shouldn't be going around in circles here, and there are some colleagues in the region who are members of this group that are not here to discuss that, so we are in a bit of a complicated situation.

DAVID PLUMB: For the sake of time, I seen the following. I seen all those in this call are happy to move on with the language we are working with and that means quick advance, but there is an issue of procedure, perhaps we can discuss about it offline with Humberto, but I see that there is interest in moving forward, to give a signal to the rest of the ALAC community that LACRALO is working on this and wants to move forward. This, without saying that there isn't yet agreement, as we haven't discussed it, to which position the person can apply. OK. For the sake of time, I see still Alberto's hand is raised, Alberto do you want to speak?

ALBERTO SOTO: Hello. Yes, my question Sergio was about the assembly, that this is not an assembly. This is for the future when we are going to amend what we are proposing, but here it's different. What Humberto said is absolutely right. Thank you.

DAVID PLUMB: Let me do as follows, the new proposals as follows, we work at the governance group, Humberto and Sergio can afterwards discuss on the rules of procedures to show that we are moving forward and that means quick progress. This is not for now, only Humberto and others who want to discuss the procedure offline, you can do that. Any questions? Is there anyone who has a strong opinion to raise about the positions about individual users, anyone who wants to share very quickly, a position that might be different that was almost contented?

CARLTON SAMUELS: This is Carlton, I have raised my hand.

DAVID PLUMB: Then we'll discuss the chair elect, anyone who is not in agreement?

CARLTON SAMUELS: This is Carlton speaking, I want to raise my hand.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: I'm hearing you Carlton, let's wait for the interpreter.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: You can speak, go ahead.

CARLTON SAMUELS: This is Carlton for the record. Can I suggest that in moving this thing forward, we at least here on the call come to consensus of the agreements that are going to move forward. So that when the group comes together to write the procedures, they will be following a template of agreements where there is no possibility for people to say it was not put correct. Can I just suggest that we flag all the agreements so that it becomes part of a template that can be given to the group for writing base procedures. Thank you.

DAVID PLUMB: Thank you Carlton, David speaking sorry. I indeed think that what we are saying is that, this group agrees on a couple of phrases or sentences that can be added to the operating principles that give green light to the incorporation of individual members. Now the details about the rights and possibilities of individual members will come afterwards, in a further update of the rules of procedure. I think, as I was saying, that I feel there is a high consensus on that within this group. So, unless there is anyone who wants to say no, we agree on that in this call. Let me now make this question, does anyone say no to this point of consensus, that these two sentences have the support of this group and that this group wants to make fast progress to give a signal to the rest of the community. I will make a pause here that if anybody wants to say no? OK. With this silence, I will take it as agreement, now I will go beyond

this consensus and for 5 minutes talk about the issue of positions and to which positions and individual members can apply. I'm going to ask you to make this reflection, how far we are, I'm aware of the time so will only use 5 minutes for this and when we move to the next issue.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I will reiterate the position of correcting the heading. That means that the individual users can apply for ALAC members, but not the chair, secretary vice chair, or vice secretary. That is all. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: If I may say something. I have many doubts, I wonder if an individual user can actually take in a position. I am not discuss it now, I will leave it for the discussion of the rules of procedures. Actually, whenever I talk about this within my organization it creates a lot of resistance, a lot of noise, and I insist. This topic, this issue, the characteristics of individual users within LACRALO. You cannot put at the same level an organization and an individual user for discussion. What I propose is what we say is just the first part of this, is that accepting individual users can have a vote, and participate in the region. In a second process when we're discussing the rules of procedures, see how much consensus we have for individuals users to be or not representatives or anything. I think they should not. Thank you.

DAVID PLUMB: Thank you Sergio. Let's for a couple of additional minutes see if there is any other view on this in the knowledge, in the understanding that this

is not going to be resolved now. Jacqueline, do you want to speak? I see your hand raised. I'm going to give the floor to Vanda. Jacqueline, if you are trying to speak, please send me a message on the chat part so I can put you back into the queue. Vanda.

VANDA SCARTEZINI:

Thank you all. It's been very interesting till now. I'd like to know the opinion of everyone, if it's possible to hear you it's good but at least posted on the chat so we can know at least what each person thinks about this issue. What positions individuals could apply for. I'd really like to know that initial understanding. Thank you, from everyone.

DAVID PLUMB:

Thank you. Carlton you have the floor.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

This is Carlton for the record. I am in support, Humberto made a point that individual members from LACRALO may stand for election and be elected to serve on the ALAC. I am fully in support of that position. I will accept that individual members may be excluded from chairing LACRALO, but that is the only exception that I would find reasonable. Thank you.

DAVID PLUMB:

Thank you Carlton. Anyone else wants to take 30 seconds and give an opinion. It is certain that we should continue discussing this in the future. Anyone else, 30 seconds?

JACQUELINE MORRIS: Carlton, can you hear me now?

CARLTON SAMUELS: Yes.

JACQUELINE MORRIS: I have a question, my concern is more about process, because depending on the type of structure we decide to use for individual members, that structure will give certain rights and certain ways they will be able to function within LACRALO. Therefore, the decision about what positions they can run for and hold and so on and so forth, would naturally come out of this structure that we build. This discussion to me, about they can run for what they can't run for, is somewhat anticipated. It's too early, you're putting the cart before the bus, I think. Because, it's a process thing, first we decide how are they going to function, what structure are we going to use, are we going to put all of them in one ALS. If we put the individual users in one ALS, then a member of that ALS can nominate a person the same way any other ALS would. If we decide on another process, or another structure, then it would be defunct. Then I think we should change the process and then decide how we're going to incorporate individual users first, and depending on that, then we can determine quite logically what function they will be able to hold, what positions they will be able to hold. My two cents.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Can I speak again?

DAVID PLUMB: Yes please, go ahead.

CARLTON SAMUELS: This is Carlton for the record. I understand what Jacqueline is saying but this is a political event. I determine my destination and then I think of a process and a framework to get me to that destination. If you do it the other way, that is a recipe for a lot of confusion. Let's first address the destination question, and then we adopt the right process and framework to reach that destination. In this situation, which is a political situation, that's how you do it. You count the votes first.

JACQUELINE MORRIS: I thought that the destination was to have individual users in LACRALO. I mean, there are individual users in all the other RALOs, in all sorts of different functions and formats. I was not aware that there was another endpoint besides having individual users in LACRALO as mandated by ALAC.

DAVID PLUMB: I would like to thank Jacqueline and Carlton. In the interest of time, let me say the following. There is clearly a need to have a discussion to see what is the path that we want to take for the participation of individual users and the potential candidacy for a position. That discussion will take place some other day as our time is up for this call. There seems that there is no agreement among you. There are different opinions and positions, so I move that we continue looking into some proposals

within the working group in future calls. Now, if you allow me to use your time for a couple of minutes more, maybe we should move onto the next subject that we have included on the agenda today. This has to do with an idea that stemmed from the meeting in Puerto Rico about [inaudible] the way in which elect the chair and the secretary. We would like to adopt a system like in other organizations with a chair elect. The chair elect is elected and then there is a transition after some time in order to become chair. That implies learning period, this is according to our discussion in Puerto Rico, and this will also enable us to get more people involved. This would be for the chair and the secretary positions. In Puerto Rico, we said that could be an interesting option, we could have a two year term and we could elect the chair elect, and then the chair elect would turn into the chair. The same applies for the secretary's position. There was some interest in this idea, some of you showed some enthusiasm about this idea because of this idea of having some time for learning without going into that position directly, but there was also some concerns raised. Not all of you were in agreement, so I was talking with somebody who has not joined the call today who also had some concerns. Before moving forward with this, I would like to ask any of you to give a better explanation than mine about the merits of having this kind of system of having a chair elect, that later on turns into a chair. Then we can speak about some concerns that may be raised as a result of this process, so I think that I will now open the floor to any of you to explain why this idea is interesting to you, and how it could work for LACRALO, and I see that Sergio and Vanda are asking for the floor. Sergio, could you please make a few comments.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you David. In the meeting there were some brilliant idea were raised. One has to do with this issues of some regions, in order to decide which are the sub regions that are going to be taking positions, successively in order to strike a balance in terms of quantity and quality of colleagues from different countries and regions. On the other hand, we also talked about this idea of having chairs and secretaries taking office in this way for the first time, we would elect the chair and the vice chair. We would hold anticipated elections, and these people would have a chance to go through a learning process. It could be the first election just for the first positions. I really like this idea and I hope that we can materialize it. Thank you.

DAVID PLUMB: Thank you Sergio. Vanda, would you like to take the floor? Vanda?

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Can you hear me?

DAVID PLUMB: Yes.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: I would like to raise here the NomCom experience when we had a chair elect for the first time, who was not the chair. So, I thought that was an interesting option, but there are certain points that we will have to have clarity on. We need to clearly define the role of the chair elect, because according to my experience, the group expelled the chair, so the chair

elect was completely out of control, so that happened because there were no clear rule as to the role and the duties to be fulfilled by the chair, or actually it was the vice chair. It was not the same to be a chair elected like this. I think there should be clear rules and that should be clearly stated in the operating principles, so whenever a person takes office as chair, that person will become the chair, but before that that person will not be in the role of the chair or that person cannot replace the chair unless there is full agreement of the entire community immediately, so these are issues that need to be clarified and they also need to be discussed. I think this is a very good idea, we had that experience in the NomCom and I think that is going to also be very successful in LACRALO, but in our operating principles, we need to clearly define the responsibility and abilities of the person while serving as chair elect and while not serving as chair. So, I think that it is very important to have a clear definition of that. Thank you.

ALBERTO SOTO: This is Alberto Soto asking for the floor.

DAVID PLUMB: Yes go ahead Alberto. Then I'll give the floor to other colleagues, go ahead Alberto.

ALBERTO SOTO: Vanda's concern has already been considered in the checks that we have written. The chair elect or the secretary elect will be just mere observers of the work being done by the chair and the secretary. That is

a concern that has already been addressed in our provisions. At the same time, we have also the term in office for the chair and the secretary already defined. That would be two years and the chair would not be reelected for the next term. So, in that case you require somebody with experience, and that would be the chair elect and the secretary elect.

DAVID PLUMB:

Jacqueline has the floor now.

JACQUELINE MORRIS:

OK. Thank you. It's Jacqueline for the record. Basically, I had brought this to the attention of the group in Puerto Rico and it's one of the reasons that I think it's a good idea, is both for including spreading it out, so people who may not right now, if you run for chair, you basically jump into the position and that can mean that we have people who have or already have experience, so the chair can rotate among some of the members who have been here a lot longer, and that might make life a little difficult for somebody trying to bring new younger blood in, because they don't have the experience as they don't get to be in more positions, and they don't get the experience. The idea of having the elect system allows us to work closely with the person with experience who is in the position, to learn the role, the responsibility to ensure continuity and will allow us to do proper succession planning and bring in new and younger people, give them a pathway to leadership within LACRALO. I think that the concerns about what the roles and responsibilities of any position are valid, and that is why we have

descriptions for each and every position. I would presume that president elect, or chair elect, and secretary elect would be no different than the roles and responsibilities that we already have written for the president, secretary, ALAC members, and so forth. I think that's it for now.

DAVID PLUMB: Thank you Jacqueline. I would like to know Carlton if this is a new hand? Would you like to take the floor now, or is that an old hand?

CARLTON SAMUELS: That is an old hand, you can go ahead please.

DAVID PLUMB: Thank you Carlton. Let me say something that I have been discussing with someone who has not joined this call, that is Ricardo Holmquist. Ricardo also raised some concerns about this at the meeting, so I'm simply going to convey what he told me, it's 1 AM where he is now, so he couldn't join us but, he thinks that would be too long a time to elect somebody who is going to become chair two years later. After that, that person would conclude his or her term. He thinks that that would be a process that would be too long. In his opinion it would be easier just to have a chair and vice chair, or perhaps a couple of vice chairs like in other RALOs. He's not so enthusiastic about this idea of having a chair elect, and he would rather have just a chair and perhaps one or two vice chairs. I wanted to convey this message on his behalf, because I know that he... that is what he thinks. I don't know if anyone has any

suggestion about how to address Ricardo's concern and incorporate that into this discussion now. Sergio.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: David, I am asking for the floor.

DAVID PLUMB: Go ahead Sergio.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: All of us here have many years of experience in participating in the regional activities, either in formal position or as a member, or in my case or Carlton or Jacqueline, Vanda, and Alberto's cases, all of us have been since 2006 and Jacqueline has been here even before that, so the fact that you may have person being trained to take office as chair or a secretary with almost no possibilities of being elected again or taking that position again, I understand that for years it's not the right time. Two years for training, two years for working. When I learned how ALAC operated, I had to leave. That is my own experience, after I heard the position I understood clearly how ALAC operated and then I have to leave. I think that will happen to whoever will take that position, so I propose talking with Ricardo and perhaps I can give him a call. It is advisable to wait for some time for the person to get used to the operation, but I don't think that this period proposed here would be too long, so I vow to talk to Ricardo to give him some reassurance.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I am asking for the floor. Thank you. I think we can adopt an alternative mechanism. Instead of electing the chair, the vice chair, the secretary, and the vice secretary initially, we can have an election for a chair and a secretary, wait for one year and then elect a vice chair and a vice secretary so that would be a one year training period and not two. That may be a compromise solution or an alternative proposal.

DAVID PLUMB: Thank you Humberto. I would have to see that in writing as I didn't fully understand what you said.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Let me give you an example. If we were to hold elections in November 2018, we would elect a chair and a secretary in November this year. In November 2019, we would elect the vice chair and the vice secretary, so that they will start serving in their position in November 2020, and so on and so forth. So they would be getting that training for one year and not two. So they would be under training for one year and not two before the term of the current chair and the current secretary expires, they would be acquiring all that knowledge.

DAVID PLUMB: Now it is clearer.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I didn't understand, could you please repeat your explanation.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Yes. Let's say that in November 2018, we elect a chair and a secretary. They will be there until 2020, so instead of electing a vice chair and a vice secretary now, we will until November 2019 and they will take office in 2020, so their position will expire in 2022. So, the elections to replace those that finish their term in 2022 would be held in November 2021. They would only spend one year getting ready for taking their position.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I apologize for having a dialogue here, but the fact of having a vice chair and a vice secretary, and the purpose of having them is for them to collaborate with the board and with the chair and the secretaries of the regions so, which would be the purpose of having them for one year together. I don't understand it. I apologize, perhaps it is the late hours now.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I thought you were just talking about getting ready to take that position.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: No. They will also be part of the board, actually there are two aspects related to the vice chair and the vice secretary positions. That has to do with this idea of having a board with more people in the region involved in policy work. What is new now, what was raised at the Puerto Rico meeting for the first time was that that vice chair and vice secretary would turn into the chair and the secretary, but the idea was to have

them working together with the chair, the secretary, and the board for the daily work. That would mean that we would have more people working on the issues and involved with policy work within ICANN.

DAVID PLUMB: Thank you both. Let me say that we are abusing the interpreters time. It is quite late now but I see here some options on the table. In Puerto Rico we had a discussion so I suggest that a smaller group, out of this group, could come up with a couple of proposals and we can see which one attracts more interest. Several people have offered their help to talk to Ricardo, so perhaps that could be the way forward.

ALBERTO SOTO: I would like to take the floor.

DAVID PLUMB: Yes Alberto, just a brief comment please.

ALBERTO SOTO: I think that so far, we have had consensus on this issue. Now we have different opinions and we need to work as a team. Perhaps we can have, once we're the team that is finishing, where we can have this dissenting opinion reflected.

DAVID PLUMB: I understand based on your comments that there is broad consensus on the proposal that came out of the Puerto Rico meeting. Ricardo is not

part of that group in favor of this proposal, so if we can incorporate his concerns, that would be great, otherwise we'd have to see where we can have a large majority. In the interest of time, let's have a brief summary and then I'll give the floor to Silvia who is going to talk about the future calls. In this call we agree on this two phrases on individual users, so we all agree on making progress and incorporating them in the LACRALO work and the operating principles of LACRALO. Humberto can talk with Sergio to clear up his concerns. There is an interesting discussion about the positions that individual users can apply for, there was an expression used at the meeting, so we need to solve that issue, concerning also the procedure that we will use to incorporate individual users. We still have broad consensus about the merits of having a system for electing a chair elect and a secretary elect. There are some concerns but it seems that they are not reflected in the opinions stated in this call. These are the items that I have written down. I am going to email this to you so that we can have a record of our discussion. Silvia, would you like to speak about the next few calls?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

If you agree I am going to ask Sergio and the rest of you to set a date, set a day and time so that we can have this call every week. Could be this time every Tuesday at 23:00 UTC, so that we can build it into our routine and we do away with doodles. So if you agree, we agree on Tuesday or we organize a doodle to identify one set day and time. So that from now on we will always meet at the same day and time. What do you say?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Silvia, let's agree on Tuesday 23:00 UTC every week at the same time.

DAVID PLUMB: Sorry. Just to say that next Tuesday is May 1st, which in many countries is a holiday, so we will be competing with a holiday so it is complicated. I agree with having our calls on Tuesday at 23:00 UTC, but perhaps next Tuesday which is a holiday, we might move it to Monday or any other day, Thursday, any other day next week.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Can we make it on Wednesday, David?

DAVID PLUMB: It could be.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Wednesday May 2 at 23:00 UTC.

DAVID PLUMB: Then we go back to Tuesday.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, just exceptionally next week it will be on Wednesday and then after that every Tuesday at 23:00 UTC.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: It's great for me.

DAVID PLUMB: I'm reading the chat, if there is any issue with this. It says that the second before the last Tuesday which month we have a LACRALO meeting. There are some issues with the dates.

SILVIA VIVANCO: There is a comment by Harold. Every last Monday of each month we have the LACRALO monthly call and there is no conflict here.

DAVID PLUMB: Let's move on. We will have to close this call, not because it's not been a high quality conversation, but because it's late. I want to comply with the time, so Sergio if you want to say any few words to close, so that we can conclude.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you David. Just let me close by thanking all our colleagues in this call, in our next meeting two or three next calls, we will be able to resolve all our issues and have a proposal to be discussed and hopefully approved by the colleagues from the region. Let's meet next week. Thank you all.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]