
ANGELA: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the EURALO board teleconference on today Wednesday April 18th 2018 at 18:00 UTC. On the call today we have Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Erich Schweighofer, Jean-Jacques Subrenat, Roberto Gaetano, Wale Bakare, Yrjö Länsipuro, Andrei Kolesnikov, and Roberto Gaetano. I would like to remind everyone to please when speaking state your name for the record and to please speak slowly for the transcription purposes. Thank you and I turn it over to you Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Angela. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking and welcome everyone to this EURALO board conference call, today we are going to be looking first at our action items from the month of January to see what our progress is in our ongoing work. Then we will be looking at any other business, and I'll ask in a moment, if we have to add anything to any other business. Why are we doing this? We are doing this because then we will have to stop the recording, make sure that only the EURALO board members and the non conflicted ALAC members are... well non conflicted ALAC and board members are present and we will first discuss the selection of the community... for candidates for community onboarding program, and then 3 candidates for the EURALO community regional outreach program for travel to Belize. So that's where we are. The community onboarding program is, of course, for the travel to the next ICANN meeting in Panama city. Why are we going incamera, because we are going to be discussing personal information of applicants and this is customary is EURALO and indeed in the at-large

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

community to protect the identity and private information of those people that we will be discussing. We will turn the recording off, and we'll turn the recording back on at the end when I shall be sharing the decision that will have been reached by the committee. Are there any questions, comments, or any items to add at present to the any other business part of this agenda? OK, I am not seeing anyone putting their hand up. But then again I am not listed as a panelist at the moment and I think that I need to be made a panelist in the Webex center so as to be able to see the hands up. Now my... yeah, that's fine. I have been upgraded to a panelist and I still don't see any hands. So that means there are no questions and the agenda is adopted as displayed on your screen.

Just one more thing, if we cannot identify people calling in by telephone, when we come to the time of incamera, we might have to restart the call. Let's cross that bridge if we need to later on. First let's then get going with the review of our action items, and therefore invite you to click on the link that is in your agenda. Now, if you don't know where that agenda is, in the chat at the moment, which you can access by clicking on chat on your screen and then click on the link, that will send you to the EURALO board conference agenda, and on that there is a link on agenda item 2 to the EURALO board conference action items. I just thought that we would go through these to see a little bit where we are with those and perhaps to make some amendments to some of them. Let's start then with number 1 and that's the brainstorming document that was approved by all the board members. This is, of course, a follow up to the discussion that several of us who were present in the IGF in Geneva had, it was a bit of brainstorming session

and that's where several proposals came out. The first proposal was to set up a webinar on the GDPR with a Euro specific approach, the fact we've actually held two webinars so far, first one was in the week of February, and the second one was done in April. Now we have a third webinar, and I think this could be an error, we should say here, are you elected for a volunteer to assist with a third GDPR webinar. The third GDPR webinar being the call for our at-large structures to share what they are doing about the GDPR in their own community. If they are doing something, if they are affected by the general data protection regulations. I do not... well we've received a couple of responses so far. One is a response... well [inaudible] has basically assisted with this and so we will have a gentleman by the name of [inaudible] who is going to be providing us with some details of what they're doing about GDPR. I think it's some kind of a multi... massively open online course, or something that they are putting together. But, there is also, I think Nicola [inaudible] from ISCO France that will be speaking to us as well. We've had a positive response from him. That of course, after Sebastien Bachollet went to speak to them, but we haven't really had that many other responses from other ALSes. I just wonder if any of you have got an idea of what we should do? Because, just two people doesn't really make a party. Jean-Jacques Subrenat.

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Hello, can you hear me?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, we can hear you. Welcome.

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Thank you Olivier, this is Jean-Jacques speaking. For this kind of webinar I would say that the number of potential speakers depends also on the number of potential participants, or listeners. Two speakers, especially good one who know the subject well maybe quite enough if we have something like 5 or 10 or 15 participants. It depends also on the level of knowledge of the subject by the participants, if they are all people who have written about it, or who for professional reasons know about GDPR, that's one thing. If it's the general public, the man or woman off the street, was an individual user and not more, then of course, it's a different problem altogether. Thanks.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Thank you for this Jean-Jacques. It is Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. I think the aim was to try and see how many of our at-large structures have looked into the topic and have had to do some amendment in their own community. It's more, less so as individuals but more so as the representative of at-large structures to see if they've done anything, because if I can remind you all EURALO is running a database of ALSes and this database has also personal information. Of course, the major discussion around ICANN is to do with the WHOIS database, but any organization that has a membership database might be affected. I certainly can share the knowledge of what's happened at the internet society, where in the ISOC there has been a staff led system that asks all of the chapter members whether they are OK with their details being held in the global database. That's one thing that I can certainly share on behalf of some of the internet society chapters,

because they've all been in the same boat. I just wondered if there had been other procedures which other organizations had to go through. I certainly know that ISOC France has come up with a number of webinars for their own community. It would just be interesting to hear from more than one or two people to kind of have a cross sectional view across Europe, what ALSes are doing locally and that's why it was more of a reporting session than some session where there was going to be some full discussion. That said, if you think it would be more useful to have another webinar following what's going on between ICANN and the article 29 work party further down the line. I am also open to this. I guess that in the meantime we can... maybe I could send another email out to ask for more people to take part. More ALSes to take part, if there isn't much interest in that, then maybe we can revert to an alternative way of running that third webinar. Thanks for the suggestion Jean-Jacques, and if we can please follow up by email and Yrjo if you could also please check with this, that would be really helpful. Yrjo Lansipuro.

YRJO LANSIPURO:

Yeah, thank you. Yrjo Lansipuro speaking. As I said in my email, an organization in Finland which we all are corporations could open notes in them. They are deciding this MOOC, massive open online course. That concentrates on the GDPR from a user point of view, it's pretty much concentrating on the good [inaudible] or what kind, in which ways the GDPR actually empowers the users. They would be willing to talk about this, but of course, it's like 5 minutes, so it doesn't fill even half a webinar. I think it will be good if you send another email to all the ALSes and [inaudible] point out what the ALSes are doing on it. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: OK. Thanks for this Yrjo. We will follow up by email. The next proposal is setting up a webinar on the... sorry. We'll follow up by email and we are going to aim still for this first proposal to have a webinar towards the end of April, perhaps early May. Let's find out the last week of April or basically the first couple of weeks in May, since GDPR will be old news by the time it gets implemented, or by the time the whole big go ahead, the push button is pressed, which is in the second part of May.

The next proposal was to set up a webinar in the topic of framework of interpretation and developing a checklist from human rights impact assessment, as I mentioned on the call yesterday, I have checked with the human rights working group... working party, sorry, the cross community work party on human rights, where they are on this human rights impact assessment and there had not yet been a proposal, a formal proposal for this. So, we do not have to cross that bridge yet, but I will liaise with Anetta Milberg with regards to leading a webinar on this, if and when needed, and when the plans, or the proposal from this cross community working party are finalized a little bit more. The third proposal was the discussion on the registration directory services, and the security and stability review team. There is a focus on the security aspect privacy versus security and there was a question regarding the practical issues linked to security. [inaudible] the SSAC to provide us with practical issues linked to security. This could certainly be done with the help of SSAC, Silvia has a Wiki page been opened for this proposal so far?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello Olivier, this is Silvia. Actually, I haven't opened it yet. I sent an email to you on March 26th asking for the title of the Wiki, but I didn't get any reply. As soon as you tell me what the full title will be, I will open it up for you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: OK. Thanks for this. I will take note of this. It will be one of those emails that is simmering somewhere in the big black hole of my email.

SILVIA VIVANCO: I know, I'm sorry about that. I will forward it to you again.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. March 26th. I don't even know when that was, where were we at the time. Proposal 4... so yeah, for proposal 3 what I'll do is as soon as I check on that email, we will agree to a title for that page and then what I'll do is ask SSAC for their input on this, to see, because I think that they already have had some webinar that they have done for the ALAC on this in the past, a few years ago and perhaps that will be helpful then for them. They could basically... yes Jean-Jacques Subrenat, you have the floor.

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Yes, thank you, I put up my hand. This is Jean-Jacques. About proposal 3, my memory from the time when I was serving of the board is that SSR studies involves very often security people and law enforcement people but more rarely, ever at all, the end user point of view. I think there is

really a relationship between the kind of thing which is being at SSRT on the one hand, and what is gradually becoming the world's norm, thanks to GDPR. I think that it will be good if someone like yourself, or another member of EURALO could be, not in the position to put questions to SSR but to also to attract their attention. I'm sorry not SSR, but SSAC to attract their attention to the necessity and track the imperative duty to consider both aspects at the same time, meaning security and stability on the one hand, but also the evolving rights and the claims by the wider and wider part of the user community for the protection of data and privacy. Thanks.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you for this Jean-Jacques. It's Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. I have a question for you all, because you and others, as you know we're currently in a lot of movement on these topics, so registration directory services is in the middle of this whole WHOIS and GDPR thing and we don't really know what form that is going to take now with the whole GDPR discussions. When it comes down to the security and stability review team number 2, as you know, that was also interrupted by the decision of the board, and that has not quite been reconvened yet to my knowledge, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that SSR2 review team is still searching for additional members [inaudible] reformed, as in not reformed but re-formed, like put together again. So, with this, would it be perhaps an idea to wait a little bit until the dust settles on these things, or perhaps I can get in touch with SSAC right now and then see when in the future we can have some kind of follow up on this topic. When the dust settles a little bit, and certainly after GDPR is implemented, and we have a clearer view of what is happening

with that. Jean-Jacques Subrenat. You are muted now. Is it star 7 to unmute? Or star 6, I can never remember. It is star 7 to unmute. I think we might have lost Jean-Jacques as I can't hear him. Have you lost me maybe, am I still here?

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Yes we can hear you Olivier. [inaudible] please let us know.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: I still exist, OK.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: I still have Jean-Jacques on the line, but I don't know if he dropped or not. I don't have the power to mute or unmute.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Star 7 is to unmute Jean-Jacques Subrenat. OK. He might have to drop and call back. Let's continue for the time being and get Jean-Jacques back shortly, hopefully. Jean-Jacques as soon as you're back on, please let us know. So let's move onto proposal number 4, and proposal number 4 was to do with the publishing results of the project successes and publishing them, and effectively the work on the EURALO Facebook page. I know that Wale Bakare has volunteered to work on the Euralo Facebook page, how are we doing on this Wale? Have we lost Wale as well? Hello, have you lost me?

WALE BAKARE: Hello, can you hear me?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. OK, Wale welcome.

WALE BAKARE: Hi, thank you so much. This is Wale speaking for the record. With regards to the Facebook page for EURALO. The very first thing we done, we created a group so for the EURALO is one of the at-large ICANN EURALO at-large page. This group is just to allow every EURALO member to join the group and be part of the [inaudible] time zone, then make some proposal and some comment for activities the individual members think that could improve the outreach activities on this page. That is the very first step taken, so the page, the group is created and we so far, so good. We've had about close to 9 members have signed up for the group to date, so I will now urge all EURALO members to make sure they sign up and join the group. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this Wale, it is Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking and I think what we'll probably have to do now is release a bit more information on there and actively promote that Facebook page. I am somehow guilty of not having promoted this at all, we have 87 people who like the EURALO page, but we've only got 12 members so far on this. I think we probably need to publicize this on our mailing list and get more people to join. I certainly see a lot of people elsewhere and then get some discussions going also in this. I note now that there are several people in the queue,

so Jean-Jacques has put his hand down but Yrjo Lansipuro, you have the floor.

YRJO LANSIPURO:

Thank you. This is Yrjo Lansipuro. Yeah, we discussed with Wale some time ago the merits of the Facebook page [inaudible]. After that discussions, Wale set up the Facebook group which is more interactive than a page and I think there are now about 9 or 10 members there and of course, now the next step would be to tell ALSes and tell individual members of this [inaudible] with a view for exchanging information among the ALSes and individual members, what the ALSes have done. That is one thing, of course, that [inaudible] so forth, but also it could be used for preparing like policy statements and so forth. For instance, when we are preparing for the GDPR seminar. This [inaudible] sort of a platform for such discussions. I think that the Facebook group, the threshold for the lower discussing there, than using some other means. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

OK. Thanks very much for this Yrjo, that's helpful. Will you be working with Wale, I see Wale's put his hand up. Let's go over to Wale Bakare.

WALE BAKARE:

Hi, this is Wale Bakare speaking, can you hear me?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Yes, very well.

WALE BAKARE: Just a bit of points to [inaudible] earlier which was as I said. I'm just trying to... I would like to suggest what it would be a good idea to have a draft and have the contact of all the ALSes we have on the list. We send them an email and we provide them a bit of information with regards to the group, the Facebook forum group that we set up and ask them to try to join. I don't know whether that is a good idea or not. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks Wale. It's Olivier speaking. Yrjo, did you wish to follow up on this?

YRJO LANSIPURO: Well, the only thing is that I think what we need, we need a message from you basically, since you're a chair, to all ALSes and to the independents asking for participation and for that be [inaudible] board member who I think it would start... put information there about our ALSes and our activities.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: OK. Thanks for this Yrjo. Thanks for this Wale. Let's have an action item then, and the action is for me to send an email out to EURALO at-large structures to get engaged with the EURALO Facebook page and to start conversation or share the details with the EURALO Facebook page as well.

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: This is Jean-Jacques trying to unmute, can anyone hear me?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Now we can hear you Jean-Jacques Subrenat.

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Oh, thank you Gisella. Apparently Gisella managed to unmute me, thanks. I am going back to mute for the time being. Thanks.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: OK. Thank you. We've actually dealt with now this part with the fourth proposal. But, just coming back to the previous proposal, the one on the privacy aspects of the registration of the SSR review team number 2, Jean-Jacques you had put something in the text in the chat, perhaps now that you can unmute could you just let us know what your point was, and then we can move on after this?

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Sure Olivier. This is Jean-Jacques. Can you hear me now?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, very well.

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Thanks. I was simply making the point, Olivier, that I leave it up to US chair of EURALO about the timing, whether you would contact SSAC right about now or later on when the GDPR discussion as a whole will

have advanced a bit more. But in either case, i would insist that you, as chair of EURALO, underline the necessary link and the necessity of a global approach combining both security and stability concerns, and privacy concerns which is what we are about much more than let's say other parts of ICANN. Because, I think that by and large, we represent the concerns of users, of end users or individual users of perhaps more. Thanks.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you for this Jean-Jacques. I'll fire up an email to SSAC within the next couple of days and start the discussion with them to try and find out when would be the best time for maximum impact for this discussion to take place. Open discussion. I think that this actually goes further than just EURALO opportunity and initiative of course, it's all related somehow to GDPR as well, but I believe that probably the ALAC will need to engage this discussion, so I shall be also sharing this, it starts with Alan Greenberg, and finding out how we can proceed forward to have this interaction. Right, finally in the action items which were very long, was also a link or a list about the crop requests. When it comes to going to Republica, we have [inaudible] who has stepped forward and who is coordinating not only with the German at-large structures in Berlin, that's the one with Anetta Milberg and [inaudible] but also is coordinating with the regional bureau, I understand that Adam Peak will also be attending this event, Republica, so he will also be meeting up with Adam Peak, and brochures have been sent from the European office in Geneva, from the Geneva office, not the European office, sorry, from the Geneva office to [inaudible], so he's also got some brochures. That one so far, looks like it's all set on the rails. With

regard to RIPE 76, there are going to be some train strikes over that week in France, in fact there have been some for the past few weeks already, so travel will be a little hard, but Sebastien Bachollet is going to be in... well is going to be present at the RIPE meeting in Marseille. [inaudible] will also be present. Both of them will be funded independently through other organizations, and I'm planning to be there, funded... well thankfully with some flat sharing in Marseille, accommodation will be taken care of, and when it comes down to the actual travel between Nice... or between Cannes and Marseille, it's just local travel and we can make use of our small RALO funding that we still have. I think there's a little bit left in there for a bus ticket that will go from place A to place B. I'm certainly planning to be there, and currently in discussions with [inaudible] from RIPE, to be able to have a session where we share the EURALO, details of EURALO and do a little showcase of EURALO with the RIPE members.

When it comes down to [inaudible], because we now have freed one crop slot, we now will have three slots for [inaudible] 2018. I have got in touch with the regional vice president for Europe, Jean-Jacques [inaudible] with regards to the fact that [inaudible] this year is taking place outside of our region, strictly speaking, and the response I have received during Jean-Jacques absence but from his deputy Adam Peak is that this is fine. It's a special case situation this year, so we are able to make use of the three slots for [inaudible] 2018. That somehow will take us to the next part of our agenda, just one last thing on this action item page. It mentions that I will explore collaboration with Centre, with a goal to sign an MOU in Barcelona in 2018. I've made initial contact with the people at Centre and the response has been rather positive, the

next steps is again in my corner of sending the example MOU we have signed with RIPE and see the feedback that we get from Centre on this potential MOU. We still have plenty of time since Barcelona 2018, the ICANN meeting in Barcelona will take place in the second part of the year, the latter part of this year, I believe in October. There is still some time until we reach that meeting. Now, seeing no other hands up, we can move to our next agenda item, finally. First, thanks for your input on these action items. The next agenda item is any other business. I do not recall that anyone has raised any other business. Let me give you the chance again, does anybody wish to raise AOB? Sebastien Bachollet.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Yes, thank you very much Olivier. I just wanted to say a few words because I didn't take the chance yesterday. But, I went to the celebration for the [inaudible] and it was very moving and there were 200 people participating, very sad but interesting to know all this different part of his life and family. I guess from what I've heard the proposals are made by EURALO but by others, the organization, something will be done for [inaudible] in... during the Panama meeting. I think it's a good move and it would be useful for you to be prepared for this. I am still trying to organize that, but, yeah. That was what I wanted to say. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much Sebastien. It's Olivier speaking. That's a very good point that you've made. I was wondering how that took place, knowing that there were quite a few people that came from ICANN including

some of his colleagues from the generic name supporting organization and some ICANN staff that traveled all the way to Paris for this. It's a terrible story but it's interesting and it's good to see that the community has risen, and I really don't have very much else to say on this. Thanks for updating us on this. Now seeing no other hands up, let's move on to the incamera part of our agenda. Incamera being a Latin word, which mentions in the chamber. So, we don't have a smoke stack, where we can correspond with the outside world with a white smoke, or black smoke, or brown smoke, or whatever smoke it is. But what we can do is to speak on the record after the end of this... the session that we have now. Two things will happen. First, the recording will be turned off, second in the chat there will be a line that will mention incamera, so that any information that is in the text in the chat between this line and the next line which will be back out of the incamera part, all of that text will be deleted. The conversation from now on is going to be confidential, and we are going to have two parts to this incamera session. The first part being the selection of the community onboarding program, and the second part being the EURALO crop requests. I believe that there will be some people that will be conflicted for the EURALO crop request so they will have to leave us before we reach that level, but there absolutely welcome and in fact encouraged to take part in the discussion for the community onboarding program. Are we now incamera? Or, I see Sebastien, you have put your hand up. Sebastien Bachollet.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yes, sorry just to say that I think as I will be conflicting for the second part of the discussion. I will left already the meeting room, you will do a

good choice for the community onboarding program, if I can say I support your proposal, but you will decide and I will leave the room to ease the pace of this meeting not to have two time to check if I and other people are online. Take care, and thank you for your time and your work, and talk to you soon. Bye-bye.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: OK. Thank you. Thank you very much Sebastien, and could I please have confirmation. I know I have confirmation by chat from staff that we are incamera now, are we? Let everyone know and I can announce the results.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: OK. One moment please. OK. The recording is back.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much. So, we are back from our deliberations. My name is Olivier Crepin-Leblond, the chair of EURALO. We've had the EURALO board and the EURALO leadership discuss the different candidates for the community onboarding program first and secondly for the community regional outreach program. The community onboarding program is set to have a space to send somebody to the next ICANN meeting that will take place in Panama, the name of the Matthias [inaudible] the name, that name will be passed on for consideration by the at-large leadership team, or selection committee, I am not quite sure who will make the final decision. I believe it could be the at-large selection committee to get Matthias [inaudible] from Austria to go to

the meeting in Panama. The other three names for the community regional outreach program are suggested, or have been selected to be Andrei Kolesnikov, [inaudible], and [inaudible] from the list of people that have applied. The overall, the selection was done after quite some discussion and with one particular point being made about the fact that those given support from other, or potentially from other sources, perhaps benefitting from professional support for traveling and accommodation through their at-large structure or their work where basically, not given support as much as those that are not supporting. There were not not given support, or benefitting from any professional support for travel and accommodation. So, effectively students and people that are not otherwise supported had more of a chance to get these slots. There is going to be some discussion forthcoming in future meeting of the board, and perhaps also of EURALO community to set some kind of procedures perhaps for such selection to take place will likely to be asked more often on selecting people to go to various meetings etc, and these procedures will be discussed in future board meetings and perhaps we should have an agenda item added to our future EURALO meeting agenda. So, congratulations to the different people that have been chosen. The next steps for me is to notify Andrei, [inaudible] about their selection and to let the other candidates know that they have not been selected, and when it comes down to the community onboarding program, I shall provide details of [inaudible] to the ALAC chair and also be letting Matthias know that he is in the shortlist for the selection committee. I think that's it for the end of this call, I'd like to thank everyone and staff of course, for having run that vote. It took a little bit more time than needed because we haven't got automatic systems for it, since we're using Webex rather than using

Adobe connect, but I think it was a very good discussion that we've had on all these candidates, so I thank you all for having spend the whole length of time here and thank you for the earlier part of this [inaudible]. With this, the call is now closed, so thank you very much.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]