
RECORDED VOICE: This meeting is now being recorded.

BRENDA BREWER: I'd like to thank everyone for joining today's Rec 5-9 Data Accuracy Subgroup call on March 6, 2018 at 11:00 UTC. Attending the call today is Dmitry, Lili, and Cathrin. From ICANN Org we have Lisa, Jean-Baptiste, Alice, and Brenda. We have tentative apologies from Erica. The call is being recorded so please do state your name for the transcript. Lili, I'll turn the meeting over to you.

LILI SUN: Okay, thank you Brenda. My expectation for this conference call is to go through the five questions I raised in the first pass planning document to check if there were any further comments from the subgroup members on the five questions. Are the five questions relevant? Are the five questions enough for us to conduct the review?

The second item is to, how can we collaborate with each other to share the responsibility of this subgroup. So, can you show us the five questions in the first pass planning document?

JEAN-BAPTISTE DEROULEZ: Lili, everyone has scrolling rights but if you wish I can put the questions on the...

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

LILI SUN:

Everyone, may I ask you to check the page 2 of the first pass document? There are five questions raised. The first question is about the implementation progress of the WHOIS accuracy program specification in 2013 RAA, and we can make an assessment based on the different documents on the wiki page.

The second question is about the progress of the WHOIS accuracy reporting system project and to what extent the inaccuracy has been reduced. The third question is about the accuracy rate of WHOIS data which uses privacy and proxy services. The fourth question is, are these measures which have been taken effective in achieving the objectives?

The fifth question is about whether we can narrow data accuracy when data becomes mostly hidden. I did receive the comment from Dmitry on the first pass planning document. And I did the fifth question Dmitry read. I want to check with Cathrin -- do you have any further comments on the five questions we raised?

Yeah Cathrin, please go ahead.

CATHRIN BAUER-BULST:

Thank you Lili, and thank you for the questions. I found them to be very helpful in terms of assessing what we will need to answer as the team in checking whether the objective has been reached. I think a useful next step for us would be to now detail these a bit further to enable the briefing that you have suggested at the end of the first pass planning document, so that we get the answers that we need.

I mean, I think the main points are captured here and then 4 and 5 I guess are the assessments that we need to make on the basis of the information we get. I guess that would involve some detailed questions as to what happened in the ARS that would enable us to assess whether or not we are happy with it.

For one, I was following the ARS for a while and there is several stages to it that focus on different aspects and I have to -- sorry I have a call on the other line so ignore the ringing -- and we should probably make sure that we detail our questions to determine what exactly has been done as part of these different stages on the basis also of the first briefing that has already been provided.

LILI SUN: Okay. Thank you, Cathrin. Lili for the record. So I'll take notes on your comments. So do you think the five questions are enough?

CATHRIN BAUER-BULST: Yes, I think they are enough to determine what we have to set out in terms of defining our own scope of what we do as the review team. Then we should probably work on further specifying and detailing them for the briefing request.

LILI SUN: Okay, thank you, Cathrin. So I'll put it as a conference for the subgroup members for the questions we need to answer in the assessment. The objective has been reached. So let's move on to the next item for this conference call.

JEAN-BAPTISTE DEROULEZ: Lili?

LILI SUN: Yes.

JEAN-BAPTISTE DEROULEZ: Sorry, there is a hand raised from Lisa.

LILI SUN: Okay. Sorry, I didn't notice that. Lisa, please go ahead.

LISA PHIFER: Thank you Lili, and this is Lisa for the record. Once again I have a cold. I apologize for my voice. I think the point that Cathrin is trying to raise is that as you go through the briefing materials that were already provided, and the materials that are available on the accuracy reporting system, you may find that you have questions, detailed questions, for example regarding the implementation progress of the RS program.

It is those questions that you don't find answered in the existing briefings that we'll want to follow up with additional briefing questions for ICANN Org to find a subject matter expert to answer your additional specific questions. Does that make sense?

LILI SUN: Yes. Actually, I am planning to raise a question list like the compliance subgroup for the WHOIS accuracy program specification implementation team and we are ARS project team to find more [inaudible] information about the implementation.

LISA PHIFER: Very good.

LILI SUN: Okay. If no one has further comments, let's move on to the next item. It's about how can we share the responsibilities of this subgroup. My suggestion is to have like a -- we currently have four members in this subgroup. I would encourage each of you to pick up one question you are comfortable, or you have more knowledge or background experience on this topic so we can [inaudible] an investigation or assessment to reach more or less key findings. So we can, based on the findings of each subgroup member, collect all the information in a document.

Any comments? Yes, please Cathrin, go ahead.

CATHRIN BAUER-BULST: Yes, this is Cathrin for the record. Thank you, Lili. I think it's an excellent suggestion to divide up the task. In trying to categorize the questions that we put forward, I think number 4 is sort of a horizontal question which I guess we all have to respond to as a team at the end of the exercise which is for each measure, whether it's been effective. So I guess that can't be divided up by itself.

Then if we take the other questions, the first two are somewhat linked because the WHOIS accuracy program to my understanding has been multi-developed through the ARS project. So there's sort of a connection there and please, Lisa and Jean-Baptiste and Alice and Brenda, speak up if there are things I'm not aware of in terms of other projects that we may be missing out on. So that is sort of a linked set of questions.

Then for the privacy proxy specifically, I guess we would need to reach out over to the other subgroup where Volker made a very interesting remark yesterday to say that they have -- as a privacy proxy service, they stop serving certain registries and registrars if the accuracy rate becomes too low. There's other suggestions that the privacy proxy talent's being misused. So I think that somebody could tackle possibly incorporation with that group.

So that would be category two. The first one is the first two questions; second one would be the privacy proxy and then the third could be the concept of data accuracy when data becomes mostly hidden which I guess is less of a factual question at this point because we don't really know how the system will look. So that's something we can look at going forward but we cannot yet answer now because it depends on system access that's -- terms are yet to be defined.

So we have those two broad categories to start out with. Given that the ARS project is quite comprehensive, maybe it makes sense to split up the work on the ARS specifically. I'd be grateful for any suggestions that staff have to guide us here in our efforts because I was for now seeing these two main categories for us to tackle.

LILI SUN: Okay. Lili for the record. Thank you, Cathrin. I think you made a very good summary. So according to your suggestions, would you be comfortable to lead one categorization?

CATHRIN BAUER-BULST: Right. This is Cathrin. I can try and reach out to Volker on the third point of the privacy proxy service. We can see whether they've any statistics available also from the works that the CCT Review team has done on these issues. Possibly also in consulting the Compliance team to see whether there is a higher rate of complaints for the privacy proxy although I doubt that will be the case.

I think they could first start with that as the response. I still have somewhat limited availability in the coming weeks but that should get better starting in April. So with that caveat I'm happy to contribute.

LILI SUN: Okay. Thank you, thank you very much, Cathrin. So regarding the connection with the compliance team, maybe you can refer back to Susan's message. Let me check. What's the date?

LISA PHIFER: Lili, this is Lisa. There is a verbal [inaudible] that is in the process of being scheduled for 20th March to address questions regarding privacy proxy and compliance. That might be an opportunity to ask the questions, and probe further on the questions that you have, number 3

here that you've just asked Cathrin to focus on. Cathrin, I wonder if the 20th March would be possible for you?

CATHRIN BAUER-BULST: Yeah. I'm just looking at my schedule. Yeah, depending on the timing I should be able to make it if it's before 10 or after 3. As of now after 3:30 I should be free. But otherwise, I can also if by misfortune I cannot attend, then I can prepare questions to be asked by somebody else from the team and then listen to the recording. But of course, it would be better to be there.

LILI SUN: Okay. Thank you, Cathrin. I also have like a -- currently I have one or two questions relating to the privacy and proxy service. I can send you a separate message or through the subgroup mailing list to share with you for information.

Dmitry, are you with us?

CATHRIN BAUER-BULST: Sorry Lili, could you repeat that? I missed your last comment. This is Cathrin.

DMITRY BELYAVSKY: I'm here, sorry.

LILI SUN: Cathrin, I just can remind you that I did find one or two questions now at the moment relating to privacy and the proxy service. So I'll share with you in the mailing list for this subgroup for the information.

CATHRIN BAUER-BULST: Perfect. Thank you.

LILI SUN: Okay. Dmitry, I understand that you are now involved in several subgroups. I'm not quite sure how the workload -- is it still manageable? Are you comfortable or do you have any specific interest about the WHOIS accuracy program specification in 2013 RAA? How to evaluate [inaudible] the implementation progress?

DMITRY BELYAVSKY: I am not sure. It was implemented mostly in form of documents which I am not very familiar with [inaudible] English. I think that I can -- to me it's just a little bit more comfortable to study the progress of the WHOIS accuracy reporting system, if any.

LILI SUN: Okay. Then I would suggest that both you and me, we can work on this topic about the WHOIS accuracy program specifications, the implementation progress on this.

DMITRY BELYAVSKY: Okay.

LILI SUN: So I am now trying to like collate all my preliminary findings on the topic. I'm going to put up a question list for the ICANN Org to provide more detailed information about the implementation. So I will re-send the [inaudible] message about the compliance subgroup with ICANN Compliance team and discussion about the complaints report to ICANN Org and how they connect to follow up. So that could be [inaudible] our assessment or how to dig into the written materials.

DMITRY BELYAVSKY: Okay. Let's do so. Thank you.

LILI SUN: Do we have any comments or any suggestions on the way forward? Go ahead please, Jean-Baptiste.

JEAN-BAPTISTE DEROULEZ: Thank you, Lili. Sorry, just for clarification, so Cathrin will focus on question 3 and you and Dmitry will focus on questions 1 and 2?

LILI SUN: Yes, 1 and 2. For question 4, we'll all go directly to the conclusion on question 4 and for question 5 -- actually at the moment we couldn't answer this question yet. [AUDIO BREAK]

LISA PHIFER: Lili, this is Lisa.

LILI SUN: Lisa, please. Yes.

LISA PHIFER: For question 5, although obviously you can't fully answer what the impact will be when some of the data that's currently in WHOIS is no longer publicly available. One thing you could do is ask ICANN Org if the team that works on ARS, if they have considered what they will do when that data is not public. Because of course it may still be accessible to an accreditation program where some data is made available, not publicly. You could ask them if they still plan on measuring the accuracy of that data and if so, how.

LILI SUN: Lili for the record. So Lisa, are you suggesting to follow up with ICANN proposed interim -- what's the name -- for the interim...

LISA PHIFER: The Compliance model? Actually, what I'm suggesting is in your briefing questions for the accuracy reporting system team, one of the questions you could ask them is if they have plans for how they will measure accuracy of data that may not be public once the GDPR compliance model is put into effect.

LILI SUN: Okay, noted on this. Thank you. Thank you, Lisa. So, I think I have done all the items on my agenda. Do you have any further questions or comments, want to chime in from the floor?

CATHRIN BAUER-BULST: Hi, this is Cathrin.

LILI SUN: Yes, please.

CATHRIN BAUER-BULST: I was just wondering whether we want to -- how we work on the briefing questions? That is going to be each on his own and then we share occasionally? Or do you want to have any specific approach to that?

LILI SUN: I would suggest like if you could take it further about question 3. Of course, if I have any concerns, I can share with you through the subgroup's mailing list. I think it's [inaudible].

CATHRIN BAUER-BULST: And then we continue each --

LISA PHIFER: Go ahead, Cathrin.

CATHRIN BAUER-BULST: Sorry, I am no longer in the room so I didn't see the hand. I was just going to say, so then we continue each by ourselves, in the two little sub subgroups now.

LILI SUN: Yeah, yeah. Everyone, I would suggest that there is someone to lead it.

LISA PHIFER: Lili, this is Lisa. So if I understand correctly, you're suggesting that one of you be the central person to pull together the briefing questions for each group of -- the questions identified here in the report. So perhaps either you or Dmitry for questions 1 and 2 and Cathrin for question 3? Is that correct?

LILI SUN: Yes. I want someone to take the lead, yeah.

LISA PHIFER: Then my question would be -- perhaps it would be helpful for you all to have a timeline for when you want to have the briefing questions completed. I know in your answers to the planning questions, you had suggested by the end of February. But of course here we are in the beginning of March. It will take the subject matter expert a little time to answer the briefing questions that you come up with.

So perhaps you could think about a timeline that gives you the answers far enough in advance of the Brussels meeting so that you can complete your work on item 4.

LILI SUN: Okay, Lili for the record. Thank you, Lisa. Yes, thank you for this suggestion. I think we want to consult with you, [inaudible] to send a batch of questions. Can we send it on an ad hoc basis?

LISA PHIFER: It would be better to send a batch of questions. I don't mean that that would prevent you from sharing any draft questions sooner. But once the team knows that the complete set of questions, then they can determine which subject matter expert would be best to either write up or get on a call to provide answers to those questions.

LILI SUN: Okay, understand. Then I do have several questions at the moment. So since questions -- Cathrin, just take the topic today and Dmitry would be involved in questions 1 and 2 today. So, I will share with you the initial question list by Thursday, so I'll collect your comments and maybe your suggestions for corrections. So, hopefully we can more or less finalize the question list by next Monday. Lisa, please go ahead.

LISA PHIFER: I'm sorry, that is now an old hand.

LILI SUN: Okay. I just want to check with Dmitry and Cathrin. Are you comfortable with the proposed timeline for the briefing questions?
[CROSSTALK]

DMITRY BELYAVSKY: Well, I hope I'll be able to look through the necessary materials. So let's hope it'll be okay.

CATHRIN BAUER-BULST: Hi, this is Cathrin. I'm going to do my very best for Thursday. I was just caveat that I might have another one or two follow-up questions afterwards. But I'll make my best effort to be comprehensive by Thursday.

LILI SUN: Okay, thank you Cathrin. Actually, my proposed timeline is to share with you the details for the question list by Thursday. So, I'll ask for your contribution so we can more or less finalize the question list by next Monday.

CATHRIN BAUER-BULST: Sorry. So you would also share the draft for the privacy proxy part. I misunderstood that as my task. But if you wanted to prepare the first draft and I'm supposed to comment by Monday, is it?

LILI SUN: Yes.

CATHRIN BAUER-BULST: That's going to be a tough proposal because I'm in meetings all day Thursday and then I travel to Puerto Rico for the ICANN meeting.

LILI SUN: I understand.

CATHRIN BAUER-BULST: So, I'm not going to be in a position to do anything substantial between Thursday and Monday I'm afraid. [AUDIO BREAK]

So why don't we reverse that and I provide a draft of the privacy proxy by Thursday. I think that's actually an easier avenue and then you guys can review and I'll check your comments, if any. I think that I can probably do by Monday, so that might be easier.

LILI SUN: Okay, okay, thank you Cathrin. Sure, thank you, thank you Cathrin. So I think we've finished all the action items identified for this conference call and we're also running out of time. Do you have any further questions?

CATHRIN BAUER-BULST: Nothing further. Thank you, Lili.

LILI SUN: Thank you, Cathrin.

CATHRIN BAUER-BULST: I'm afraid I have to drop off so I thank you all. Bye.

LILI SUN: Yeah, bye.

JEAN-BAPTISTE DEROULEZ: Lili, there is a question from Lisa.

LILI SUN: Yes, yes please, Lisa.

LISA PHIFER: Thank you. This is Lisa for the record. Lili, I noticed in your planning question answers you suggested that the rapporteur would collect key findings from each member into the document by the end of March. I wanted to re-confirm that that was still the timeline you were working towards and also offer that if you need any help from staff in transcribing some of the findings, we are available to help with that task.

LILI SUN: Lili for the record. Yes, Lisa. I'm still trying to make it by the end of this month since we are going to have a face-to-face meeting and the

deadline for the subgroup to submit the draft report is 6th of April. I think we need to make that deadline.

Lisa Phifer. Thank you for that confirmation.

LILI SUN: Okay, I think we've finished all the action items so we can conclude this conference call.

LISA PHIFER: Thank you, Lili.

JEAN-BAPTISTE DEROULEZ: Thank you very much.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]