

---

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Welcome to the EURALO monthly call on Tuesday, 20 February 2018, at 19:00 UTC.

On the call today, we have Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Wolf Ludwig, Wale Bakare, Oksana Prykhodko, Roberto Gaetano, Yrjo Lansipuro, Jean-Jacques Subrenat, Andrei Kolesnikov, Salve Nilsen, and Sandra Hoferichter.

We have apologies from Anne-Marie Joly-Bachollet and Matthias Markus Hudobnik.

From staff, we have Silvia Vivanco, Heidi Ullrich, and myself, Claudia Ruiz doing call management.

I would like to remind everyone to please state your name when speaking for the record and also for transcription purposes.

With that, I turn it over to you, Olivier. Thank you very much.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much. Have we missed anybody in the roll call? It looks like we haven't so welcome, everyone, to this EURALO monthly call. The first thing we have to do is to look at today's agenda, which has been circulated earlier in the day. I apologize for having put it together so late, but it has been a very busy past week, week and a half.

We have our usual policy consultations. After that, we'll have a discussion about the EURALO webinar that took place yesterday and

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

also forthcoming webinars in the next few weeks hopefully and few months perhaps.

Then we'll have an update on the Cross Community Working Group of Accountability Work Stream 2. Sebastien will take us through the various component parts of this work stream

And then finally, a discussion on the FY19 budget. That's a public comment currently going on, which absolutely requires input from all of the different RALOs.

Finally, in the Any Other Business for the time being there's an element on SSR2 Review. Actually, I don't know why it's [next to it]. It should be the next line.

Is there any additional Any Other Business or are there any amendments to the agenda that participants on this call would like to suggest?

I'm not seeing any hands up, so that means [content] and therefore the agenda is adopted as listed. Thank you, everyone. Do I see [no argue] at the moment? Can somebody hear me? Have I been dropped out?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: No, Olivier. I can hear you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I'm still here? Okay.

---

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: We hear you. We hear you okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, okay thanks. So I guess someone has a – well, Jean-Jacques, you seem to have a problem with your audio. But anyway, right, so the agenda is adopted as currently displayed on the screen.

Let's go to the action items from our previous call. In fact, there are two sets of action items. There was the one on the last EURALO monthly conference call. It included a reference to the EURALO Board conference call that took place because there is a link or a reference about that in our action items.

The first action item from the call of 23 January was: "Jean-Jacques Subrenat to follow up with Silvia Vivanco on the questions presented about the activities of At-Large Structures by Jean-Jacques Subrenat." Has there been movement on this? I don't know if Silvia or Sebastien might....

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, Silvia Vivanco, you have the floor.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you, Olivier. Not at the moment. I haven't seen any communication from Jean-Jacques on this [inaudible]. I may have

---

missed [inaudible] from you. I don't believe so, but so far there hasn't been any movement. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Silvia. Jean-Jacques Subrenat, I gather hopefully you are able to speak and we can hear you. It was working earlier.

ANNETTE MUHLBERG: Meanwhile, Annette Mühlberg joined.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Annette. Welcome. "Does Olivier know that no one can hear him?" Oh, dear, we seem to be in a position where we have the Adobe Connect on one side and we have the call on the other. Silvia can hear me.

SILVIA VIVANCO: We can hear you okay through the bridge. I don't know if – Claudia, could you please troubleshoot what is the issue?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Yeah, we're trying right now. One second.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you. Perhaps Sandra cannot hear yet. Okay, several people are not able to hear. Jean-Jacques Subrenat, could you please try again

---

speaking because unfortunately now we couldn't hear you again. Somebody has turned the mics off and turned them back on hopefully.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Yes, Olivier, hold on one second. Don't start just yet. We're troubleshooting. Apparently, something [inaudible].

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, testing 1, 2, 3, ladies and gentlemen. Andrei is on Adobe and he can hear me. Can you hear me, Andrei? Mm-hmm. [inaudible]

SILVIA VIVANCO: Gisella is speaking. I see the icon there, but we cannot hear Gisella. There is some disconnect.

GISELLA GRUBER: Silvia?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello, Gisella.

GISELLA GRUBER: Oh, there you are. We are connected. [Houston], we have resolved the problem. Sincere apologies for this disconnect. The audio bridge on the Adigo line as well as the Adobe Connect can now receive all feeds, so I have no idea where you were but just to let you know that after Claudia's roll call, there was absolutely no audio feed on the Adobe

---

Connect. So all those connected to the Adobe Connect did not hear Olivier if he was speaking. So I'm going to just hand it back to Olivier and again sincere apologies for the inconvenience but I think it's sorted. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Gisella. Okay, so welcome back. I'm not sure who is welcomed back, whether I am welcomed back or whether the people on Adobe Connect are welcomed back, but it seems that we are now able to speak to each other, which is certainly an improvement on the previous occurrence.

What I went through was the action items, and there was no comment on the action items. We've just started here. The first action item was: "Jean-Jacques Subrenat to follow up with Silvia Vivanco on the questions presented about the activities of At-Large Structures by Jean-Jacques Subrenat."

Jean-Jacques was trying to speak. I gave him the floor, but I couldn't hear him. Perhaps now I'll be able to hear him. So Jean-Jacques Subrenat, you have the floor.

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Thank you, Olivier. Can anyone hear me now?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Success. Yes, please.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yes, we can.

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Oh, good. Well, on action item after receiving the information from Silvia, I contacted Roberto. I sent an e-mail to the president of our association of individual users, Roberto Gaetano, and suggested that we ask our membership if they would agree to indicate their names as experts in the various fields we had indicated in the list given to Yrjö a few months ago. I would appreciate it if perhaps Roberto could speak on that now. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Jean-Jacques. Roberto Gaetano, you have the floor.

ROBERTO GAETANO: [inaudible]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, we can hear you. Roberto? There seems to be another....

ROBERTO GAETANO: Hello. Can you hear me?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Now we can hear you, Roberto, yes.

---

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yes.

ROBERTO GAETANO: Yeah, sorry. In the meantime, I got a call from the operator, so I have explained to the operator that now I'm on my iPad but I missed the last sentence of Jean-Jacques. So I don't know what I'm supposed to say.

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: [inaudible] that again?

ROBERTO GAETANO: Yes, please.

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Yes, [inaudible]. After the last EURALO meeting, I sent you an e-mail as chair of our association telling you what had been decided at the – yes, Gisella.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sincere apologies. Sorry. If I could just remind everyone if you do happen to be on the audio bridge as well as on the AC or have a laptop open, please do mute your microphones. I see that they are muted now, but it's causing interference. Thank you very much.



---

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Thank you, Gisella. I'll start again. Good evening. Roberto, I was saying that after the last monthly meeting of EURALO, I had sent an e-mail to you as chair of our association telling you what had been decided under action item and suggesting that we get in touch with our membership to ask whether they would be willing to provide their names with the areas of competence to fill in the list which had been prepared by Yrjö. I don't know if you have been able to deal with that, so over to you, Roberto. I hope you heard me this time.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Roberto Gaetano?

ROBERTO GAETANO: Somebody will interrupt me at some point. Yes, I still need to poll the – I still have that action item pending and I'm planning to do that in the course of this week. Could you hear me? Hello?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Roberto. Thank you.

ROBERTO GAETANO: Hello?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: We could hear you. Wow, there's quite some delay with Roberto at the moment. It's coming back. We do have a few technical issues today.

---

Right, and the second action item was to follow up on the EURALO Board January call action items, and therefore we included a link to the January call action items. It's all to do with the December 19 brainstorming document.

The first proposal was the setting up of a webinar on GDPR with Euro-specific approach. We'll speak about this in a moment. There would be a follow up webinar sometime in April.

The second proposal was to set up a webinar on the Framework of Interpretation and develop a checklist for human rights impact assessment. That's still something for much later. That will be for the week of 9 April. Annette Mühlberg will be leading the organization of this webinar. Annette, I invite you to actually liaise after the call or in the future [inaudible] to start work on the structure of how that is going to be put together.

The third proposal was the discussion about the registration directory services and the Security and Stability Review Team. That will be another potential workshop that we could do. In fact here's an idea of perhaps study the focus on the security aspect privacy versus security and studying of practical issues linked to security and could this be done with the help of SSAC? That's still again something to be done in forthcoming months.

The fourth proposal was to do with social networking. Wale Bakare has volunteered to update the EURALO Facebook page, and he certainly done so. So it's all in hand and all advancing.

---

Finally, there was a review of the CROP requests. We have to look at these quite carefully because of the six-week period that is needed to file a CROP request before the event is due to take place. The first event that we wish to send people to is Re:publica, or is it Respublica? That is from 2-4 May 2018 with one CROP slot in coordination with German ALSes in Berlin.

ANNETTE MUHLBERG: Re:publica.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Is it Re:publica? I thought it was Respublica.

ANNETTE MUHLBERG: Yeah.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, Re:publica. Sorry, Annette. Annette being on the call, actually, I think – and I don't know – are you based in Berlin?

ANNETTE MUHLBERG: Yes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: You are? So perhaps that will be – in coordination with German ALSes in Berlin – it probably will be in coordination with you. We have to start looking at the CROP slot and if there are any volunteers who wish to go

---

to Berlin for the CROP, the Community Regional Outreach Program, in order to perform outreach at Re:publica. As I said, we need six weeks between the time we make the request and the actual event, six weeks minimum. Time flies. It goes really quickly, so let's start thinking about this.

Then there's the RIPE 76 that will take place at the Palais Dublin Pharo in Marseille. I've actually gotten in touch with RIPE [NCT] to find out if we could obtain a fellowship for a EURALO member. I'm awaiting a response from them.

Finally, for EuroDIG 2018 which will take place in June we will request two CROP slots for that. I understand that even though it's out of the region, there will be some arrangement made for CROP to be usable in this instance.

So these are the two things – oh, yes, the last action item in the EURALO Board conference were to do with getting in touch with Chris Buckridge from RIPE. That's done. I haven't ticked it because although I have been in touch with Chris, we haven't had a full response so far, a full offer from RIPE.

With regards to collaboration with CENTR, my suggestion is I am conducting a discussion during the IGF in Geneva and perhaps would it be a good idea for me to ask to meet with the chairman of CENTR whom I believe will be in the forthcoming meeting in Puerto Rico. Perhaps have a face-to-face discussion with him showing the current MoU that we've signed with RIPE and seeing if we can sign one at the Barcelona meeting which will be in the autumn of 2018.

---

That's where we are today. I open the floor for any comments or questions. Yrjö Länsipuro, you have the floor.

YRJÖ LÄNSIPURO:

Yeah, thank you. Okay, the task force on the engagement of ALSes decided to set up a Facebook Group, a Facebook page [with] a Facebook Group for the EURALO. It is there. Of course, it's a group, so you have to join it. I would very much urge all EURALO people, people from the EURALO ALSes and from the independents to join the group.

The idea is that a group could be more interactive than a page. I really hope that the ALSes and the independent members would use that group for telling everybody else about the activities of their ALSes or their independent activities. So this has been done. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks for mentioning this, Yrjö. That's a very good point. If you could please put in the chat the location – ah, there you go. Excellent. Thank you, Wale, for putting the group up on the chat. If you are on Facebook, then you can click on this and you can join as a group. That will grow also our social media. We aim to be using the Facebook Group also as another means of communication in addition to the At-Large Twitter, in addition to our wiki, in addition to everything else.

Regarding CROP, Heidi has kindly mentioned that it's actually not six weeks but it is eight weeks to submit the requests because the regional vice president and ICANN need six weeks to do all the travel arrangements and book tickets and hotels and stuff. So the CROP review

---

team requires two weeks to be able to review the application. So we're looking at eight weeks. Eight weeks is just like nearly two months. So we're looking at May, April, March – it's starting to be important for us to look quite carefully at this. Perhaps we could have an action item for Olivier and the Board to discuss the next CROP allocations.

If I could ask anybody who is on the call who would be willing and interested to attend Re:publica, I would imagine that – and perhaps somebody can say a few words about Re:publica, whether it's – do you need to speak German to be fully effective there, or is it okay if one is a speaker of just speaking English? Annette perhaps? Oh, Wolf Ludwig. Wolf, you have the floor.

ANNETTE MUHLBERG: Whoops. Shall I?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Well, Wolf was faster than you in putting his hand up.

ANNETTE MUHLBERG: Yeah, okay.

WOLF LUDWIG: [inaudible] wants to know. Please, Annette, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, Wolf, thanks. Annette, you have the floor.

ANNETTE MUHLBERG: Yeah, it's really huge. There are several thousands of participants, and many of these panels are in English. So it's just something that you have to make clear what language you use. But you have to arrange an input in advance. You cannot just go there. If it's not handed in with a certain language, then there is a problem. Did someone already organize it?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Nobody has so far, Annette.

ANNETTE MUHLBERG: Okay, so there is some problem here. The only possibility is to go to other folks who are already organizing something and try to figure out if it could be a joint activity or something. The official panels are all set already, and the agenda will be online in a few weeks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks for this, Annette. I mean, we could always go and do whatever flash talks there is and so on. But I see Wolf Ludwig has put his hand up so, Wolf, you have the floor.

WOLF LUDWIG: Yes, thanks, Olivier. Just some additional remarks. I think it was two or three years ago when I applied to submit a session request at Re:publica in collaboration with [Oliver Papac] which was unfortunately not accepted and we were asked to submit it for the subsequent year. I'm

---

not sure whether we submitted it again. But Re:publica became huge over the last couple of years from 5,000 to almost now 8,000 participants, so it's a huge event. I think more than half of the sessions either have English native speakers as presenters, and a lot of sessions are conducted in English. Therefore, even for non-German speaking participants, it could be interesting.

ANNETTE MUHLBERG: Absolutely.

WOLF LUDWIG: Therefore, I encourage people. I think I attended Re:publica twice in the early years, and I followed a lot of sessions remotely. It's a very important thing, and I think one of the best opportunities in Europe at the moment. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Wolf, for this. Okay.

ANNETTE MUHLBERG: May I add?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: We've already spent so much time on this. It was supposed to have been five minutes, and it's nearly the half an hour mark. Go ahead, Annette.



ANNETTE MUHLBERG: Okay, so I'm fine. I just want to support what Wolf said. And I just want to point out, yes, the timeline is passed for handing in the proposals, but there is a chance as I said and there are different talks that could be used. And we already did several ICANN plenaries there. I was taking part at least in two already. So it's really a good occasion. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks, Annette. May I suggest that you, Wolf, and I come together by e-mail to check on whom we could actually send over to Re:publica, in addition to I gather you probably will be attending yourself or whoever else is attending in Berlin, and then file a CROP application as soon as possible.

I really wish to move forward on this. As I said, I have a hard stop at the end of the hour and we have spent some time on this, but I'm glad to see this is moving forward. We can then move to the next item.

The next item on our agenda is the policy advice. There are quite a few statements that have been approved by the ALAC. There's one on Proposed Incremental Changes to the ICANN Meetings Strategy. The ALAC has agreed with no change regarding the Community Forum but recommended at least five days for outreach at Policy Forum and six days plus one additional for wrap up activity at the Annual General Meeting.

There were Recommendations to Improve ICANN's Office of the Ombudsman where the ALAC recommended language diversity in staff

---

resource configuration and also is of the opinion that policing of the Ombudsman should not be a solution to fix a performance issue.

There were Recommendations on ICANN Jurisdiction, which is the next thing, and my screen just jumped.

Okay, all of these recommendations are to do with the Accountability Work Stream 2, so that's another comment that we had sent fully supporting the subgroup proposal, articulating the need for a path forward jurisdiction concerns beyond the Cross Community Working Group, developing another multi-stakeholder process to resolve these concerns, an ongoing activity.

There was another statement on Recommendations to Improve Staff Accountability. Again, the ALAC fully endorsing the recommendations.

There was one on the Competition, Consumer Trust, and Consumer Choice Review Team. That's a separate process that hasn't got anything to do with ICANN Accountability Cross Community Working Group. That is a review team process, again a long-term process. The ALAC supported the recommendations relating to DNS abuse.

Finally, the Enhancing Accountability – Recommendations for Diversity, so back in the Cross Community Working Group. The ALAC supported the recommendation for enhancing diversity as a whole but also pushed for language diversity and certainly suggested real time transcription services as being a way to help for those people whose first language is not English.

---

The statements in process, there are two of them at the moment. One is a statement to draft before 8 March. That is about the FY19 Operating Plan and Budget. We'll be speaking about this and discussing this shortly. There are some cuts in that year's budget, and the cuts are directly affecting outreach. So we'll speak about that in a moment.

The second draft is Plan to Restart the Root Key Signing Key Rollover Process. As you might or might not know, the root – which is the place where all of the top-level domains are located – is signed using a cryptographic key, and that has to be rolled over or changed or updated every few years. That's all to do with the system called DNSSEC that provides for a more secure DNS.

The process was stopped abruptly a few months ago because not enough people were aware or not enough operators were aware of this thing going on and if it wasn't done properly, some complete parts of the Internet could actually stop working. So they stopped it, and now they're planning to restart it with some additional ways to get everyone on board.

That's the current statements in progress. There are several public comments coming. I'm not going to read through them. They'll land on our doorstep very soon, as you can see for February and for March, and I invite you to get ready with your finger on the buzzer to volunteer to help with the drafting of recommendations or of statements based on these public comments [inaudible].

Any comments or questions? It's good to note that there is a list of upcoming public comments that Silvia has very kindly put in the chat. So

---

if there are any points that EURALO wishes to lead in, the please let us know. Because what we can do then is, thanks to the work that Yrjö Länsipuro and his group have done – as you know, we have subject matter experts for most of the topics going on at ICANN – and we might be able to proactively let the experts be aware of specific public comments that are coming up. Then we'll be more proactive and we won't just be rushed at the very last minute to draft something.

I'm not seeing anybody putting their hand up, so let's then continue. I will then invite you to look at the next agenda item, and that's the EURALO webinars. Yesterday we had a very successful webinar on the General Data Protection Regulation. The idea that was put forward by the small group of people that met informally at the IGF in Geneva in mid-December was that we have a webinar about the practical implementation of the General Data Protection Regulation.

We had four amazing panelists that included Pierre Bonis from AFNIC. We had Thomas Rickert from the Eco Internet Industry Association. Michele Neylon from a registrar called Blacknight Solutions: Hosting, Colocation, and Domains. And Athina Fragkouli who was from the RIPE NCC, and these are the people that distribute IP addresses across our region. All of them use databases very extensively.

If you missed this webinar, then there are two recordings of it. There's one on Livestream that was done by Joly MacFie, and I thank him for this. There's another recording of it that's actually linked from the agenda of that webinar, and it has the full Adobe Connect recording. It's 90 minutes well spent. I've learned a lot of stuff on that discussion. It's not just, hey, that's the theory. It was more like the practice.

---

We're looking at having a second workshop or webinar on the GDPR to focus on our At-Large Structures. There will be very soon a call on our mailing list to ask our At-Large Structures how the GDPR is affecting them and what provisions have they made, if any, in order to comply with the GDPR and whether they have needed to make changes to their processes.

For example, I'll give you an idea. The Internet Society has had to update its databases accordingly because it has had to ask for its members in the membership database to confirm that they're okay with being in that database. So it would be interesting to hear the lessons learned and for our At-Large Structures to provide us some details.

Another potential workshop or webinar would be the Framework of Interpretation to develop a checklist for human rights impact assessment. One of the recommendations of the Accountability Work Stream is that any policy being developed at ICANN – and that also includes any policy recommendations that are developed by the At-Large Advisory Committee and by the At-Large community – would require a checklist for human rights impact assessment and would basically need to say, "How does your recommendation impact on human rights?"

I don't know if any of us are knowledgeable about this, so it would be really interesting to have a webinar on this and learn a little bit on how to conduct these assessments and perhaps the Framework of Interpretation being something that is being developed by ICANN and that we need to learn about.

---

Are there any other suggestions for other webinars? There are capacity building webinars that the ALAC's Capacity Building working group does have on a regular basis. However, some of them might not be geared specifically toward European end users. So is there anything that our region would like to see that impacts us more than other regions? I open the floor to any suggestions.

ANNETTE MUHLBERG: May I raise my hand?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Do you have your hand up?

ANNETTE MUHLBERG: I'm not at the computer right now. I have to walk around here. I just would like to ask if – I tried to get into the notes of the webinar yesterday. Are there any conclusions?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, thanks, Annette. I don't think there were conclusions per se. One thing that we have heard is that ICANN seems to be quite late in working out solutions on this. Other organizations might have been a little bit more proactive. But there is also a common theme that everyone is a little concerned because even the commission itself apparently is asking perhaps whether there should be some delay toward enforcement.

---

What one has to remember is that the actual recommendations have been there since 2016, I think. So at the moment, there's kind of a moratorium on enforcement. The moratorium on enforcement stops in May, and that's what everyone is worried about because nobody really knows what happens next.

Is there going to be a first case? Who is going to be the first company or organization that's going to be hit with a fine on that? No one has an answer for this. That was the general theme.

ANNETTE MUHLBERG: Okay, thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The other thing was that some have said that, of course, the forthcoming discussions in Puerto Rico are going to be really important to see which way to go. There is a general concern about the implementation of things because it takes time to implement any solution. But as I said, I would really suggest that you watch the whole story.

Sebastien Bachollet, you have the floor.

ANNETTE MUHLBERG: I tried. It didn't work, but maybe it works tonight.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Sebastien Bachollet? At the moment, we appear not to be hearing Sebastien. We cannot hear you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Can you hear me now?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Now we can hear you. Go ahead, Sebastien.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Okay, sorry. It was a joke, but if ICANN gets a fine with GDPR, it will be taken on the At-Large budget, of course.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Sebastien. That's very kind of you to suggest this. We will forward this idea to the Board. It's nice to see a community that is happy to pay for fines. All right, thanks.

I'm not seeing any other hands up, and we are pressed for time. The next agenda item is the Cross Community Working Group on Accountability Work Stream 2. Sebastien Bachollet has an update for us. We've spoken briefly about the end of the comment period or the responses that we've provided. But, Sebastien, please take us through this part. Thank you.



---

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Okay, thank you very much. I don't know if we can or if you have access to the dashboard of Work Stream 2. But it's to let you know that there are four groups still working on the staff accountability, diversity, Ombuds office, and jurisdiction. Those four are now finalizing their new version of the document after public comment. The first and I guess only public comment on those drafts because we will not have time to have a second public comment on all these documents.

The other important point is to understand that at the beginning before Puerto Rico, the day before, we will have a face-to-face meeting. Normally, we will discuss the first draft of the full report and see if there are any overarching issues like some things that deal in different parts of the report done by different subgroups and that may have some inconsistencies. That's where we are going.

We have a real problem now in this Work Stream 2 because the participants are really tired and, for example, the last two calls of the ICANN Ombuds office that I am rapporteur of we didn't get five participants and we cancelled the two meetings. Therefore, no discussion on the list, no discussion at the phone, and the document will be accepted as it is. Now it's going to the plenary for final decision.

That's what is important. There are still some discussions on some issues around diversity or the diversity office. Of course, about jurisdiction, what will be the step after the Work Stream 2. I don't think for the others, there is too much trouble as we are going to the finalization of this Work Stream 2.

---

But one point important is that the board writes a lot of comments in disagreement with what we have done. One of the main themes is if you do this, it will cost money and therefore we don't have the budget. I am very, very annoyed or puzzled with this because it's not the question today of deciding if it costs something. It's to decide what we want to do with ICANN in resolution [of] Work Stream 2, and I am very concerned [inaudible].

That's my two cents about Work Stream 2. Thank you, Olivier, and thank you very much for listening.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Sebastien. The dashboard update is on the screen at the moment. Is there anything specifically that you'd like to point us to on this?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Olivier. Yes, maybe on this slide here, the one with the timeline, you see that we were supposed to start consolidated recommendations and focus on [interdependency] since November. We just had one conference call since, and the second will be next week. We are, as a Work Stream 2 in general, very late and we will have a very short time to do the final document and to have a public comment and to be able to have a final document in June during the ICANN 62 meeting. I guess it's a more important point to take into account.

The other point I already raised and I know there are discussions on the ALAC list about the diversity office. I will try to write something on that

---

because it seems that I am the only one in favor of that, but that's life.  
Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Sebastien. Are there any questions or comments from anybody on the call? Thanks for joining us, Annette. Had to leave quickly, so will follow up. I don't see anybody putting their hand up, so thanks for this update, Sebastien. Let's hope that the implementation of these recommendations takes place without them being scrapped or delayed due to budgetary issues.

In fact, talking about the budget, that takes us straight to Agenda Item 6. As I mentioned earlier, we have a bit of a problem at the moment with the budget in that the income that was forecast from the New gTLD Program, etc., has not kept in line with the added increase in spending year-on-year. Therefore, this year's budget has been tightening things a little bit so as to reduce some of the programs that ICANN has been supporting.

You see on the budget, there are three links there. The first one is to the CROP, the Community Regional Outreach Program. It was a pilot program for many years. It became a program in the core ICANN budget last year. That sent five people to meetings within the region for a period of three nights, four days maximum.

EURALO has used the CROP in the past to send new people, newcomers to EuroDIG. This year, as you heard earlier, we going to send somebody to Re:publica, we're again going to send somebody to EuroDIG, and we're likely to use another CROP trip to send somebody to the RIPE

---

meeting if we don't get a fellowship at RIPE. So there are quite a few things that are taking place.

The CROP then has all been very useful for outreach for us on many of our occasions every year. The problem is this year, or FY19 which runs from 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019, CROP has been scrapped. So there's no CROP next year.

The additional budget request is an envelope of funding that is provided to various ICANN communities for specific projects that we can apply for. This year, the At-Large community has applied for quite a few additional budget requests. In EURALO we've applied for an additional budget request for a EURALO-NCUC Town Hall event at the Barcelona meeting. We have applied for a project on diversity, to study diversity. We have also applied for a project for some funding in order to stage a workshop at the 2018 IGF.

We've been told that the additional budget requests budget has also been reduced. Not only that, but the scrapping of the CROP has been announced after we filed for the additional budget requests. So there was really a bit of dismay at the moment as to what's going to take place.

When looking across the board as well across all of ICANN, it appears that the outreach has felt a lot more pressure to reduce its budget. For example, the Fellowship has gone from 60 people down to 30. The NextGen I think has also been reduced. All of the outreach programs have been reduced. So [inaudible] currently drafting a statement to complain about this and to effectively say that it's unfair and

---

unbalanced for ICANN to reduce this while there are many other parts of ICANN where it appears that the budget is neither reducing the budget or at least not reducing the budget by the same percentage points as part of the budget than they are for our community.

Why are we talking about this? Because we really need your support and your input on this. As you might have heard from the previous At-Large review or from the current At-Large review, there are accusations that the ALAC is just 15 people and so any point or statement that is made regarding the reduction of the ALAC and the At-Large budget is then turned around as an accusation of those 15 people basically preserving their bit of patch of grass when really it isn't the case. It's our whole community that is behind it.

So if you could please take some time to have a look at the At-Large workspace on the draft FY19 operating plan and budget and write in your comments. If you wish to just support the comments, just say, "Hey, I support what's being drafted. Plus one." We need to show widespread community support for what's going to be drafted. Of course, if you're interested in taking part and adding more points, then you're absolutely welcome to do so.

I think I've rambled on enough about this. I will open the floor. "I notice that there is indeed, yes, a petition against reduction of Fellowships. Can EURALO support this petition and write a statement against the CROP reduction?" Yes, that's indeed a good point that you've made. I'd be interested. Should EURALO sign this petition? Silvia has also put a link to the draft FY19 operating plan and budget. Thanks for pointing this out, Oksana Prykhodko.

---

Any comments on this? Sebastien Bachollet?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Olivier. A few points. The first one is that we have to remember that with Work Stream 1 we have a [number of communities and one of the four needs to disagree with the proposed budget]. Therefore, it's also I guess a good test for the whole organization how we deal with this type of issue. I'm not sure that it's not done in some [inaudible] purpose just to see if we are really able to mobilize our team to be against this proposed budget. But on the other hand, as there is a decrease of money, if we have to enter a negotiation with the board on that, we need also to put some idea where to decrease the spending if it's not what is proposed by staff and the board.

The second point I wanted to raise is that if we are going that direction and keep doing that [inaudible] the year after, therefore I really think that the ATLAS III is jeopardized. Therefore, the mobilization this year is also important for the budget next year and what we wish and want to do within ICANN for the end user specifically. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Sebastien. You're absolutely correct. There is a discussion at the moment as to whether we should reference the ATLAS or not. There is a discussion going on, on the ALAC list about it. Some believe that if we reference that ATLAS now, it will just be dismissed because it's not FY19. It would be for FY20. Some say that we should talk about the At-Large Summit funding for FY20 because it just gives an advance warning on the fact that this is coming up and the board should

---

be looking at this as a multiyear budget putting some money aside to be able to even the cost to spread the cost over more than a year.

Bearing in mind that we have been told in the past this is impossible to do. You can't spread the cost between one year and the next one, and yet apparently some processes at ICANN have actually followed this very method of spreading the cost. So a bit of double measures here.

Sebastien Bachollet?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Yes, thank you, Olivier. A few points. The first one is about spreading the cost. It was not possible historically, but there were some tests for doing so. Therefore, I think that now it's possible to organize the budget with [lending] in different fiscal years.

The second point is that if we take the agenda [or] the schedule that you set up, Olivier, about when we will organize the next ATLAS, it was supposed to be done during 2019. Nobody officially told us that it will not be done in 2019. We think that it may be easier to organize it at the first meeting of 2020 fiscal year, in November 2019 in Montreal because it's less expensive than Japan and so on and so forth. Good reason, but for the moment there is nothing that says when we will be able to organize it and if we will be able to organize this ATLAS 3.

Therefore, I really think that we need to start some discussion on that and to put some ideas because if the reasoning is that it's too expensive in Japan and better to do in Montreal and it's not the same fiscal year, we may end up with nothing at all at the end of the day. Because our

---

document, the document you set up, says that it's 2019 fiscal year. It's five years, five years, five years. Therefore, if we miss next year, maybe we miss completely. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Sebastien. I understand that the organizing committee for ATLAS 3 has already discussed the moving of the request from FY19 to FY20. So I think that the moving it from Kobe to Montreal is already one step forward and perhaps any statement would need to mention that we're already taking steps to reduce the costs by moving it from Kobe to Montreal. Perhaps we could make use of this.

I'll note that in the meantime, Oksana has put on the chat a link to the petition process. What I will do as already listed in the action items is to follow on the EURALO mailing list as to whether EURALO should sign this petition or not. I'll issue a consensus call on this.

And we'll follow up also drafting a EURALO statement against CROP reduction is something which, by the way, all the RALOs would like to be involved with. In fact, the RALOs have already started drafting some common text on a Google Doc. I'll put the link to that Google Doc on the budget page. I'm a bit surprised actually the budget page ought to have a comment from me at the moment in the resource that says At-Large Workspace: Draft FY19 Operating Plan and Budget. Anyway, I'll send the link to the current Google Doc that's being drafted immediately after this call.

There is quite a lot going on. I think we have to always mention that policy and outreach are linked because of the multi-stakeholder model



---

being balanced. If there is an imbalance in the multi-stakeholder model, we'll end up with policy [inaudible] that will just not work together. We have to think about this quite carefully.

All right, I see that there's a little bit of discussion here on the chat, but time is going by really quickly. I've alerted you to this. Please contribute to the budget process this year. In previous years, it was pretty much like, "Yeah, yeah, yeah. We like it. Cool." This year, we don't and we need to be aware of this. That's really important.

Finally, Agenda Item 7, Any Other Business. There is a quick discussion on the SSR2 Review. Now some of you might wonder what in the world is the SSR2 Review? That's the Security, Stability and Resiliency Review of the Domain Name System. It's a very technical thing that happens every few years to make sure that the DNS itself is not under threat or if it is under threat by various ways, that measures are being taken to improve its stability and its resiliency and improve its security.

The Review started a few months ago, and the ALAC has got two people that were selected to be on that team. For various reasons, the review was interrupted briefly for a few months, perhaps because there were a few structural issues and perhaps to try and see how many people they can put on there. Additional people that would need to be put on there to bring more knowledge into the group.

It's just about to restart. Not only is it just about to restart, but there is a call currently for perhaps having a few more people join the group. Some people might wish to be leaving the group, so there's a bit of movement. Alan Greenberg has suggested that one person that he has

---

been introduced to recently would be added to the team, but I wonder if there's anybody in Europe who would wish to perhaps step forward that has knowledge about the DNS, technical knowledge about stability and security. Should we recommend anyone perhaps to add to the overall team?

Sebastien Bachollet, I know you've mentioned this. Is there anything that you wanted to perhaps mention on the SSR2? I know that you've followed some of the discussions there certainly as seen from the [ALAC point of view].

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you, Olivier. I would think that it's a very important issue that the board decide to stop the SSR Review. They may have left them to work and asked the [entire] community to work on enhancing the team. But there are some people who will leave the team, and I don't know where we will end up with all that. It's why I think that if we have good candidates, it may be a good time to come with. And if we don't, we hope that the other RALOs will find good people. That's where we are today.

But this one has importance for the other review that will be performed, the structural review but also those types of reviews like the next one will be the ATRT3. This one will start late because ICANN as a whole is waiting for the restart of the SSR before starting the Accountability and Transparency Review Team. Thank you.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you for this, Sebastien. Wolf Ludwig has suggested to ask Lutz Donnerhacke to see if he was interested in the SSR2 Review. I think I asked him last time, but I will ask him again. So another action item for me to just drop an e-mail to Lutz to ask him if he would still be interested in following the work of this review team.

Any other Other Business? I'm not seeing anybody putting their hand up. Just as a summary for this call, really the focus: the budget discussion. It's going to be an absolute battle. We've been told if the CROP doesn't get cut, if the outreach doesn't get cut, then there's going to have to be something where someone else is neither going to travel to a meeting or maybe staff will not travel to a meeting or there will be some pushing and pulling. This is likely to be a big discussion at the forthcoming meeting. So please in advance of March 8, which is the deadline for the comments, please contribute to this.

As I said, I'll be adding the link from that page, from the public commenting page that we have linked from our agenda to a Google Doc, and no doubt further text will appear very soon.

I'm not seeing any other hands up at the moment. I'd like to thank you all for attending this call. Apologies for the five minutes being late at the end of the call. A quick reminder: EURALO webinar on the GDPR. Annette mentioned that she had problems getting this to work. If I could ask staff to check that the link for the recording is working correctly. I wonder whether we could perhaps even have a link to the Livestream streaming cast which would probably be quite easy to play on any player in case some people have devices that can't play these things correctly.

---

Thanks very much, everyone, and have a very good month ahead of us.  
So this call is now adjourned.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**