
GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Welcome, everyone. It's the top of the hour. I appreciate everyone joining, especially the people in the Far East, Asia-Pacific area, and particularly Cheryl. I don't know how she does it, but I don't think she's human. That's a whole other issue. Welcome, everybody. if anybody else joins, we'll [inaudible].

I just want to mention one thing. Those that are on Adigo – and I think Ali is going to join us back in – I can't see your hands. If you're on the phone, if you're waving your hand, I can't see it. So, I'm sorry, you'll have to just speak up. I'm not going to treat it as rude. I'll try my best to make sure I get your comments, but if we can do the role call and start the recording, we can go ahead and start.

EVIN ERDOGDU:

Thank you, Glenn. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening, everyone. Welcome to the ALAC Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement call on Thursday, the 1st of February, 2018, from 17:00 UTC to 18:00 UTC.

Today on the call with us we have Glenn McKnight, Cheryl Langton-Orr, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Maureen Hilyard, Daniel Nanghaka, Ali Almeshal, Ranjit Nair, Nkemdilim Nweke, Isaac Maposa, Deborah Escalera, and Eduardo Diaz.

On the French channel, we have with us [inaudible] and Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

We have noted apologies from Jaqueline Morris, Olivier Crepin-LeBlond, Yrjo Lansipuro, Vanda Scartezini, Adam Peake, and Holly Raiche.

On staff, we have with us Siranush Vardanyan, Heidi Ullrich; and myself, Evin Erdogdu.

We have Spanish interpretation provided by Paula and Marina, and French interpretation provided by Claire and Camila.

With that, I'd like to remind everyone to please state your name for the record and for transcription purposes.

I'll turn it over to you, Glenn. Please begin.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. Just one quick question. Do I pronounce your name Evin or Even?

EVIN ERDOGDU: Evin.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, sorry. Thank you. Welcome, everyone. This is our first call of 2018, and as you recall, the working groups have gone through a revisit and revision. There was issues with this committee. Our aim of this call was to kick things off in terms of recapping things to a degree what we've done and moving forward.

Right now, I'm just looking to see if anyone else is on the committee. I think if, Evin and Heidi, there isn't anyone from Europe or Latin America on the call. Is that correct?

EVIN ERDOGDU:

Hi, Glenn. Europe or Latin America, let's see. I don't believe so.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. So, that's going to be an issue in terms of update from the regions, but we'll just live with it. Again, the aim of the meeting is (a) to get preparation for the forthcoming meeting that we're going to be in San Juan. The other idea here is to share ideas about outreach and engagement from each of the regions. One of the things we'll have to do is [inaudible] at this meeting, perhaps, Heidi, we can have at our next meeting, too, to reexamine what our plans are for this committee and who's going to chair it. There are some [inaudible] things that we have to circle the wagons on.

Okay. So, if I can move right ahead. I'm going to give you an open discussion about the outreach at ICANN 61. Unfortunately, Olivier is not on the call. He has provided his regrets. But, we have on the call Eduardo and myself. I'm going to turn it over to Eduardo and he'll be talking about our ten-year anniversary. It's actually closer to 11, but you've got to remember – and Eduardo is going to be talking about this – we signed our MOU in NARALO 10-plus years ago. We didn't celebrate it in 2017, but we thought [inaudible] to recircle the wagons back to the homeland where we actually signed it. So, Eduardo, are you on the line?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Glenn. Yes, we signed the MOU in 2007. That was ICANN 40-something. I don't remember. Anyway, we have been talking to staff about this outreach event within NARALO. It's mostly a showcase than anything else.

We decided that we were thinking of doing this at noon between lunchtime. It's going to be something that might be something very simple. We might have time to talk about NARALO. We can [inaudible] talk about some of the history of NARALO since 2007 and maybe pick up major things that happened in the last ten years and talk about them. We'll figure out something else.

The thing is we're going to do this at noon. I'm going to bring some music. These are people that play street music. However, I'm going to mention what that music is and why it came from and we have music there. And we're planning ... I think there's a cake to celebrate the tenth anniversary. And [inaudible] to sing Happy Birthday To You in Spanish or in English at a different rhythm. That's what we have planned for the showcase. Glenn, you might want to talk about the booth because I'm not that familiar with what you're planning to do there. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you, Eduardo. What we hope to have is a really cultural event, which we try to do each time with our NARALO showcase is to showcase the cultural aspects. Yes, thank you, Heidi. We have to come up with a catchy phrase in English and Spanish for the event. Looking forward to it. We're chasing sponsorship, as you well expect. But, we'll [carry on].

So, let me talk to you all about the vote. What we are looking for is volunteers. We have the link on our Outreach and Engagement page asking for volunteers. Obviously, we're all going to have so many people from our region that are going to be there, but if anyone else has [inaudible]. We're going to be focusing at the breakfast in the morning, breaks, lunch in the afternoon [inaudible] meetings. But, if any other RALO representatives would like to give some time, we'd appreciate it. I know some of you have been very gracious with your time. We'll have all the RALO [literature].

What we discovered at the IGF, we tried to capture people who were interested. And those who have read the report that Maureen and I produced, we had a sign-in sheet and we were very, very active at our booth at the IGF. They scribbled down their names and their e-mail addresses and what RALO they were interested in and boy oh boy. Maureen, would you say about 30% were very, very hard to read in terms of the sign-up sheets? I'm just asking volunteers. Maureen, are you there?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes, I am, Glenn. Definitely. I think that one of the things we were looking at after was how can we make it so that we do collect those names, but we make it so they are legible and that we can follow-up on them. I know that Olivier has spent hours on trying to decipher and that sort of thing. So, if we're going to try to engage people in this way, we've really got to find a way that we can do it more appropriately. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, thank you. Perhaps we can create a form in advance and we'll have perhaps staff can supply a laptop or I can bring a second laptop, and instead of any sign-up sheets, they immediately sign up on the form. We don't really have any [giveaways], but perhaps that something we can work with staff – small little local candy or local cookie or something that we can offer to them.

We had power adapters care of the EURALO budget. I think we should have little lapel pins. But, we'll work out what else is going to be given. I think some of the innovations that we'll try to do is not repeat the sign-up sheets. I think it was 109 names that ... I had five people from just NARALO and each of the RALOs had given their names [inaudible]. Excuse me, I had something typed here from Heidi. Would you like staff to create a workspace for the outreach activities and the booth setup? Heidi, I already did that on the outreach, but on the NARALO, because I'm tracking everything we're doing, but I think you're right. Heidi, as an action please, can you [inaudible] as a neutral area so everyone who is going, please do. Heidi, again, another great idea of a raffle. We have to decide on what that raffle item is – a box or a glass bowl, anything to do that.

I also want to welcome Vanda. I have to showcase Vanda. Vanda has been a fantastic volunteer. She just comes and she spends time at the booth. She's done a great job, even though it's not her own RALO.

Any other questions about the booth? Again, it's not going to be like the IGF where we have every time slot from 9:00 to 5:00. Staff will be

bringing the banners and those banners [inaudible] drag them back and forth. We'll be taking pictures and having details.

Any other questions? Anybody want to put their hand up on the booth or the showcase? Okay. Heidi is typing something. Just bear with me for a second.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Sorry. Just to let you know that we'll have Mario in Puerto Rico and he'll be able to work with you. If you'd like, you can take pictures of all the people that are there, along with [Glenn], so we can get some good recognition of the activities and post them on this workspace. I think that would be good. Thank you very much.

And, Eduardo, just a really quick follow-up. Gisella is looking to get a TV or monitor for the booth. Thank you very much.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah. We're going to have a series of pictures. The best pictures we had that we'll be rotating on the TV monitor. I know that APRALO did a fantastic job on the TV presentations they had at their booth back in Abu Dhabi. Probably pictures are more than appropriate. It's hard to read stuff. Despite the fact they did a fantastic job on [inaudible].

To answer Heidi, yes, I do have the yellow tablecloth. Yes, I have a lot of brochures that I brought back. And everybody had brochures. Nobody was allowed to leave the IGF booth without taking brochures and nothing was thrown in the garbage.

One of the things I did not have, and I didn't have in Trinidad, was any LACRALO brochures. I'm hoping very much that we have LACRALO brochures as well.

Eduardo, was that your question or is that a new hand? Go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

I just wanted to add that having the TV if we can get it there, I always find it very fun and very engaging to show pictures that you take there, and if you have a video camera somewhere, just pop it up in the TV and leave it there and put it in some kind of loop. I'd really like that.

I was going to say, Heidi, I have a banner there [inaudible] when we had the event here in Puerto Rico. It's a NARALO banner that we always use. I can take it there. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you so much. Just before we move on in the agenda, any other questions on the booth or the showcase? I have just one other comment myself. Recently, Silvia asked me for pictures of LACRALO. Obviously, I had to go through a lot of pictures over the year, but I didn't take pictures prior to me being involved, so there's gaps in our photographic history and we need some way to encourage all of you. I know that Cheryl takes pictures, and others do as well, but I tend not to see them because they're not as equally shared. So, we are looking. If any of you have any pictures, because the picture show that we will be doing at the showcase will be some of the achievements of NARALO. So,

if you have any pictures [inaudible] of Evin or early pictures in different locations that you took, please do that.

Second of all, I'll be there as well taking pictures. We've got to make it a deliberate effort. There's a group, especially as many of the [inaudible] as possible, that our team leaders we'd like to have in group shots regardless of the RALOs. So, please, make a point to do that. Try to corral people so we can take a shot.

I think that's it for that. Let's move on.

Unfortunately, the NCUC At-Large Outreach [inaudible] session that Olivier is planning ... I do not see Olivier. Does anyone have any updates? Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you very much, Glenn. He apologizes. He is at the EuroDIG event in Georgia, so could not be with us today. You'll see on the agenda page we have the link to the event. Perhaps Evin can put that into the chat. This is a 90-minute session. It's a joint session between NCUC and At-Large. It basically is similar to what they've held in the past – introductions to both groups, then issues of interest for each, how to get involved, and then also how people could gain benefit from being in both NCUC and At-Large and ICANN itself.

Adam Peake will be speaking in that section for the global stakeholder engagement, and then they'll be speakers from At-Large and NCUC. I think that is it.

Oh, then also they'll be targeting – I know we have Siranush on the call. They'll be targeting the fellows and next gen, so perhaps she can spread the word to the fellows and next gen people [inaudible] attend this event. I think this is going to be an ongoing event. I know they have asked for events during the ICANN 63 in Barcelona and they're also always very popular. Thank you very much.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you, Heidi. There's a question from Evin. I see the time is 90 minutes and I know it's the ICANN 61 – do we know that time and day?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, not quite yet. I know that the meeting forms were put in, but the keeper of the schedule is Gisella—

GISELLA GRUBER: Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, go ahead.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry to interrupt. I'm not on the AC. Sincere apologies. The NCUC event with At-Large, they're wanting to know the day and the time. Is that correct?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, please. And then another question as well.

GISELLA GRUBER: It is on Saturday. I believe it's meant to be in the afternoon. We're working on the meetings [inaudible] let you know. But, as far as I know, it's Saturday afternoon. The time has not yet been confirmed.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you very much, Gisella. And Gisella, just another question. When is the meeting of the Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement?

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you for the question, Heidi. I prefer to not to say yet. We do have a meeting scheduled, but we are still moving things around to be able to accommodate another working group. So, as soon as I have a set time, I will send it out to the subcommittee. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thanks very much.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you. Heidi, anything else on this?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. So, folks, I don't know if many of you were at the event that was done in ... I think it was Helsinki or Copenhagen. It was done with Olivier. It was very, very well-attended. More so from the NCUC side rather than the At-Large side. I really try to encourage all of us to go to it and have a very positive attitude and bring some literature, because if we can all talk to a newcomer and explain in simple terms what we're doing, I think it'll pay off. I think it's an excellent effort. Olivier [inaudible]. He really was a very good face for our community.

We have a hand up. Heidi, is that a new hand or no?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, old hand. I'll take that down.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. Okay, I'm going to turn to Daniel. Go ahead, Daniel.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: When it comes to engineering of newcomers, I think [inaudible] because one thing I noticed. I happened to attend one of the sessions in Abu Dhabi with the newcomers and I got a chance to [inaudible] with them. The challenge that I got from the newcomers was the way – the understanding of [inaudible]. A number of them were a little bit confused. But, [inaudible] we can [inaudible] up strategies on how newcomers can get more engaged [inaudible] in this whole ICANN world. I think that [inaudible] because I had a list of [inaudible]. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you, Daniel. There's a comment from Vanda, but I'm not actually sure what you mean. You typed in the Adobe: "Impossible but TLC [inaudible] nowadays." Anybody have any idea what Vanda is saying or does Vanda have a voice? I'm assuming it's to do with [conference] of other [inaudible].

Okay, moving forward. Any other questions? Daniel, is that a new comment or an old hand? Okay, it's now gone.

Moving forward on this, I don't think there's any other comments. In the agenda, it also has following this NCUC joint session we have topic discussion for discussion on the EURALO hot topics 2017 list.

What we have in the center panel is the hot topics. Unfortunately, Walid [inaudible] this. I don't see anyone from EURALO. Heidi, did you want to talk on the hot topics with EURALO they want to discuss?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry. Where are we on the agenda? Are we on the outreach strategies? I didn't [know] anything about hot topics.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. I'm just looking on the agenda. After the NCCU outreach, the next item, next bullet, is discussion on the [inaudible] EURALO hot topics 2017 list. It's in the center panel. I don't think you [inaudible].

HEIDI ULLRICH: I am not seeing that. I'm not sure what that is. I think that is going to be discussed on the regional leadership team call next week. What I had put onto the agenda, item four – and this is changing. That is a status of the 2018 RALO outreach strategies. We're now halfway there. Thank you very much, Evin. So, this is a good time to look where you are in meeting your plans for the Fiscal Year 18 RALO outreach strategic plan. Go ahead, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry, Heidi. I didn't [inaudible]. Somebody put it in. It may have been put in there by error. If all of you can see the agenda, what Heidi [has said], ignore it for the time being. We'll get to the RALO strategies in a second. I also have to point out the next item, academic outreach and activities, Adam Peake, that is not going to happen either. Adam has sent his regrets as well. Unless, Heidi, do you see the agenda where Adam Peake is in the agenda on academic outreach and activities?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Again, he sends his apologies. He's also in Georgia and he said that he will be able to join this call during its next meeting. But, I'm assuming that he is likely in touch with academics in Puerto Rico, and perhaps in terms of academic outreach, Eduardo might be able to say a few words about the North American Internet Governance School, which is happening right before ICANN.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Excellent, thank you. Yeah. That's [inaudible] will be three days prior to. I'm going to turn to Eduardo to talk about it because we did invite next gen and fellows to attend that. I'll turn to Eduardo. Eduardo, can you speak on this issue?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. Thank you so much. For all of you that don't know about the North American School of Internet Governance, it is—

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Who else is on the line? We're turning the mic to Eduardo. Maybe it was interference. Go ahead, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: So, this is an event that's going to happen three days before the start of the ICANN meeting. We're expecting about 40 students to be there mostly from the North American region which includes United States, Canada, and US territories which includes Puerto Rico.

So far, we're reaching about 30 of them. I want to thank Siranush and Deborah for helping and announcing this through their Next Gen and Fellows because we've got about seven between the two of you that applied for it. We're covering their extra days, so they're set to come down to Puerto Rico.

We have several people that we have invited from outside Puerto Rico, United States. They're people, a mix from here from the University of Puerto Rico, mostly from the law school – are involved in the Internet

policies, human rights, intellectual property and so forth. Hot issues in this part of ... Many areas within the Internet.

The school also has the purpose of ... I'm sorry, is there somebody else on the call?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Please mute your lines, please if you're talking. Go ahead, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

So, the school is set up in a way, the last day we're going to end talking about engagement because we start with talking about the ecosystem, then Internet governance issues for day to day. At the end, we say these are ways for you to engage this organization. We have Alan Peake coming to talk about civil society. We have Satish [inaudible] talking about the other schools around the world. We even have Göran Marby coming to talk about multi-stakeholder in ICANN, multi-stakeholder engagement.

The idea is that this will flow into the ICANN meeting, and some people are thinking go to school and then participate within the ICANN meeting and see if we can engage [inaudible]. I don't know. That's the main idea. We are announcing and promoting this event through all the universities in Puerto Rico and so far we are getting applications. They're coming in little by little, but they are coming in.

The last day is Friday, March 9th. We're going to have a get-together. It's kind of a closing type event for the school. It's going to happen at the venue. On the second floor there is a big terrace which is opened to the

outside. It's covered, so if it rains you're not going to get wet. This, I want to invite all of you and anybody that is here that Friday to come and be with us there. It's going to be a couple of hours from 6:00 to 8:00 or something like that. [inaudible]. All of you are invited. There will be finger food, drinks, and a chance for networking with the students and with each other. That's about it. Thank you. If you have any questions, please, I'm here to answer.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you, Eduardo. I've already posted the link to the site. On the website is the link to the registration and I think there were a few questions in the chat. I have to scroll back up.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I didn't read them.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I think Daniel had a question. Who is in charge? Perhaps you can give some background on how you structured the committee and who's involved.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. This is a group of us in Puerto Rico that we just got together and created this event. Most of us come from the ISOC chapter but we have other people from [inaudible], two, three professors that also joined this committee. The model that we set up right at the beginning was that we want to rotate the school around the United States and Canada.

For example, Glenn and Judith are part of this committee and they're shadowing the work that we're doing. The idea is next year, for example, Glenn will coordinate this to another group in Toronto, Canada, somewhere in Canada. And for the 2020 school, Judith is going to coordinate it and it's going to be in Washington, DC. Eventually, we'll keep rotating around with whoever wants to coordinate this. That's another thing we're going to do.

The group here doing this not necessarily will be in Canada working with Glenn, [inaudible] help. We set up some kind of social. We'll all [enhance] what works and what didn't work, and [inaudible] that stuff out.

So, that's the model and that's how we're doing. We're really a whole group that got together and that's the way we're doing this. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you, Eduardo. Any other questions from anyone else? I think Siranush had a comment about the fellows. I have to scroll back up. Siranush, did you want to go ahead and ask a question? I think the question Siranush had ...

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Hi, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Go ahead.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: My question was do we have the final list of selected students for [inaudible] how many fellows and next gen will be there? That was my question. And if you could share the list.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Do you want me to answer that, Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, please do.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I believe – I don't have the numbers with me – but there is a total of seven. I think there are about four or five fellows and two next gen, or three next gen and four fellows. Even though there are many, many fellows there, we have Siranush and Deborah to just let the people in the region from North America and Canada and Puerto Rico, to let them know that they can apply for this school. We, the group that is doing this [first] school decided to keep the applications just for the region. We have gotten applications from Costa Rica, India and other places and we have to say no because we wanted to keep it within this region. The issues in every region are different. There are many issues that are common to the goal of Internet, but some of them are issues within this region. I can mention one is net neutrality. It might be one that doesn't make sense somewhere else, but it makes a lot of sense here in the United States.

In any case, this doesn't mean that if next schools will be done just for the region. They can open it. Whatever group is coordinating the next school they can decide to do it in a different way. It's not a set requirement. It's just a requirement that this group decided to do right from the beginning. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you. There are two comments or questions from Heidi. First one: "Eduardo, when do you expect to update the website with the current speaker list, the agenda, etc.?" Then I'll mention the second one in a minute. Eduardo, can you respond to Heidi?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

I am planning to do that before the end of this week. I have been gathering pictures and bios from everyone, which I'm getting. I think I'm missing a couple of them. I'm planning on doing that between today and tomorrow. The program is in a draft form because people, sometimes they tell us we can meet on this day, then they change the school. So, we move things around, but we have a draft we can put out there for everybody to see. But, all the pictures and the bios will be there before the end of the day tomorrow.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you. The second comment: "We would like to place the site on our featured activities space on the At-Large website." Maybe, Eduardo, may I suggest if you have a short [pithy] statement on current [inaudible] that you can get to Heidi and staff so that it's a good

promotion piece would be great. Perhaps that's an action item I can suggest to you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I have a question for clarification. If it's a promotional thing for the school or just for the event that is going to happen March 9th in the afternoon?

HEIDI ULLRICH: It's only for the event. Basically, if we go up to approach ICANN meetings, we normally put a featured activities on our website. We will likely do the North American School of Internet Governance as well as the NARALO decade event.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: It'll be that website that Glenn put the link to, just when it's updated so we can add that information. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. I will send you the information and the details, times, and where it's going to be exactly. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you very much, Eduardo. You did mention about some food and a little social. The more we have where exactly that will be for those who are not attending normally, you invited everyone, so if we can have clear invite to our Skype list or list, perhaps a small little invite, postcard or something, making very clear where it is and time and location. So, perhaps Eduardo maybe you can get a volunteer to work on that. That would be great.

Any other questions? If not, I will make a passing comment. I have attended a number of these schools on Internet governance. From NARALO's point of view, this is a very important part. We did not put a submission in for this last FBSC because the next one we'll be doing will be the fall. That's when the Montreal ICANN meeting will be, so that'll be the next fiscal period. But, I think we'll be happy to share with you our proposals or how we're approaching it or marketing strategy or outreach, so that other RALOs can take it into consideration.

Okay. I'm going to turn to the next section. I think we have a few representatives here. What we'll do is give myself a chance to catch my breath. I'm going to start with Daniel, then Maureen. I will talk, but I don't think we have anyone from LACRALO or EURALO, but we'll see just in case they join in at the end.

So, I'm going to turn to Daniel. Do you have voice, Daniel? Can you talk about your 2018 AFRALO outreach strategy? Go ahead, please. Daniel, did you hear me? I don't hear you. Perhaps we don't have Daniel as well. He's typing. He needs a dial out. Evin, did you see that from Daniel? Can you please call him?

In the meantime, I'm going to call upon Maureen. Go ahead, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Glenn. For 2018, could we do – of course, as everyone else says, according to the financial year. Daniel, you'll just have to wait until I've finished, so get in the queue.

What we've actually done is for [inaudible], our major focus is of course the [inaudible] meeting which is coming up very soon. It's our major outreach event because it's probably apart from the [APRIDS] which will be in the next financial year. The APRICOT is sort of like a major one because it does include not only the governance side of the Internet, it's the technical as well, so we can actually capture, make contact with as many of the overall community within the Asia-Pacific region.

I think, for us, we have actually hit our CROP funding for this APRICOT event, although we've been mindful that there are other events in the region that we must make an attempt to attend those as well. I know that for the APRICOT meeting, Satish is actually [inaudible] self-funding and Ali has decided to attend a Middle East event, I think. He may want to say something about that.

I think that for any other opportunities that come up within our region, we do take note, and in our strategy we focus on how we will attend these events, not just using ICANN funding, but what other funding is available for us to take advantage of those opportunities within the region. Ali might have something to add to that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Ali, can you add anything to Maureen's comment?

ALI ALMESHAL: Yes. Do you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes.

ALI ALMESHAL: Thanks a lot. Some of the other activities, as Maureen mentioned, we have Middle East DNS forum that happens every year. So, we want to have some focus on the Middle East region because we don't have that much representative from the Middle East [inaudible] and the APRALO in parallel, as well as there are some activities that will happen in Thailand with [inaudible] and this has been recommended by the [inaudible] of the Asia-Pacific, [inaudible] and [Kelvin] that they say if we can utilize some of our CROP slots to participate and do some outreach and engagement to that part of the world. So, I think we'll be doing this. [inaudible] program that we promised to [inaudible] for the second version for this year, the coming year. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you. Before I turn to questions, Maureen, I'm sorry I did cut you off. I thought you wanted Ali. Would you like to [inaudible]?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Can I take the floor?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Not yet. Just one second. I want Maureen ... Maureen, any other final comments?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Just one thing. I wanted to mention that the APAC hubs, [inaudible] and his team, and more especially [Kelvin] before he left, we had been involved in putting together sort of like an onboarding type of presentation that we can actually all take with us to events that we go to about At-Large and about APRALO. It's an amazing little package. It looks at ICANN and all the things that are variable for passing on to our communities when we're doing outreach in our local areas. So, we really do appreciate that partnership that we have with the APAC hub. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you. We're going to hold the questions to minutes. I'm going to turn to Daniel and I'll also ask Tijani to join in when Daniel finishes as well. Okay, Daniel, go ahead. Then I'll turn to Tijani.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Can you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. Please go ahead.

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

Okay. Just like in the previous FY, I'll share what transpired during the AfriNIC [inaudible] meeting that was held in Lagos. The good thing, we had an opportunity that a fellow had to present, presented on behalf of AFRALO [inaudible] that community can get engaged in the different development processes, and also encouraging individual membership.

Despite all that, we had just a little bottleneck which [inaudible] with the outreach and engagement materials which were sent to Nairobi. But, also, when we had the opportunity for them to get sent, we discovered that it was the wrong material and it wasn't [inaudible], so we had to share the group with ICANN staff.

Also, some of the other engagement activities that are coming up. A fellow will have a strong representation at the Africa Internet Summit. That is in Dakar, which we shall have at least substantial representation as professionals [inaudible].

So, when you come to the outreach for FY 18, we are looking at having at least more focuses on engagement as we are having successfully reaching out to different members, both individually and ALSes, but this time we still have the challenge in how can we be able to engage the members?

We believe with the AFRALO hot topics report that has come up, which is yet to be reviewed by all the members of the small working group of the hot topics, this will also encourage different members of AFRALO to be able to participate in the different working groups and different PDPs or different policies that we'll be drafting. I think that is what I have to share briefly on AFRALO.

Allow me to just add one thing. Still, also based on the MOU that AFRALO has with AfriNIC, engagement will still continue at the different AfriNIC meetings, based on the MOU. Also, being privileged to have the space for the board also gives a very strong opportunity to encourage more members and participants to join AFRALO and ICANN At-Large. Thank you. Back to you, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you so much. I'm going to turn to Tijani. Please go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much, Glenn. AFRALO has already, as Daniel exposed, has already participated in the AfriNIC meeting in Lagos. By the way, our activities in AfriNIC and in the African Internet Summit are the main places for outreach for us because we have all the African Internet communities. So, it is the place where we can have the best outreach.

But, also, we did outreach in other events not funded by ICANN such as the African IGF, such as the NOG African IGF, and the Global IGF. The Global IGF, we were funded by ICANN but it was because it was to participate as an organizer of the workshop, but we took this opportunity to make [inaudible] together with the whole ICANN At-Large community.

I think that, in the future, we need to continue to support despite perhaps the [inaudible] that perhaps the CROP will go on. We will be really in a big problem without this kind of funding because this is the way we reach the best results. So, to get from 18 to 56 now ALSes in At-

Large, this is a huge evolution because of outreach efforts. So, outreach [inaudible] to continue. For the next year, we have a lot of projects. Daniel spoke about some of them. We will try to draft the new strategy for FY 19 soon.

But, I think that we don't have to lose the financial resources that we have now to continue to make outreach. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you both. Please hold your questions on particular RALO questions. I'm going to turn to Vanda. Vanda, you have a few moments. Can you speak on outreach? Thank you.

VANDA SCARTEZINI:

Okay, thank you. Well, in the LACRALO, we are changing a lot the model for strategy for our region in general. Normally, LACRALO follows many of those strategies programs and projects that is designed together with the whole other organizations in our region. So, we just vote for the new strategy group. The new representative from LACRALO will be Sergio Salinas and from [inaudible] will be Bartlett. So, we're going to have two persons in the strategy group and we will start the rotation for the implementation group because now we're going to have the strategy group and one for implementation group that's the hands-on group. So, we are in that situation.

The other issue that is in our focus now is finalize the mediation in Puerto Rico, the second part. But, as a program for 2017 I personally had spoken the Internet Forum here in Brazil last December, and it was

sponsored by dot-br. Bring people from all the regions. Many other engagement events that we have around this region to get the focus on more ALS. At least one for each of those 12 countries has no representation in our region.

So, I do believe that we will continue in that effort to bring the people from that region. Of course, many of the others are working – Albert, Harold – many activities in the end of this year. Then, it’s almost [inaudible] nowadays because it’s summertime vacation, so it’s hard. Schools are not open. Many people on vacation. So, nothing really happened to make it easy for us to get some results. But, [inaudible] in the region, everything starts again and we will certainly have more information for the next meeting and certainly for our meeting in general in Puerto Rico.

But, in parallel with Puerto Rico, we’re going to have mediation over there, so many people from our region will attend at least some time during the event in Puerto Rico.

So, I guess there is not much to talk about and certainly [David can] add more value after he can get back with the information. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Obviously, Glenn isn’t back on yet. Can someone respond to his question in chat regarding anyone from Europe?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you, Cheryl. I did hear it and I did get locked out. Thanks for asking that question. Can you guys hear me now?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Glenn, you're very faint but we did hear you. I don't believe that we have anyone from Europe on the call at this point.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Can you hear me better now?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No. It sounds like you're 1,000 miles away even though you're just in Los Angeles.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I'm virtually yelling into the phone. Folks, I'm going to turn to Eduardo to talk about the new concept we're working on. Eduardo, can you hear me, to talk about the North American space?

EDUARDO DIAZ: You're talking about NARALO strategy? Glenn? Hello?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: The new North American space we've been working on.

HEIDI ULLRICH: With Chris Mondini. Glenn, we're going to dial out to you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yeah. I was thinking the people were talking about the strategy. Yes, I have gotten together with Chris Mondini for the past few months here and there. We have been talking about an idea of having a North American space within the ICANN meetings.

Fortunately, Chris liked the idea. The last call that we had, what we're going to do is [inaudible] get stakeholders from different organizations within ICANN and we're going to have two or three calls to talk about the idea and to talk about what kind of objective the GSE should have as a goal for next year, to say there is going to be a change. There is an opportunity to readjust the objective, the GSE, for North America by May.

One of the things we will be talking about is to have this North American space so we can have it through the ICANN meetings. But, it has to make sense for everyone. That's what we're going to be talking. We haven't had that meeting yet, but it will come. If you have any questions? Okay.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you, Eduardo. Can you guys hear me okay now?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I can hear you okay.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. There must've been something wrong with the line. I didn't get a phone call through my room. Thank you, Eduardo. Just standard stuff

that the other RALOs are doing. Our MOU with [inaudible], [ARIN]. We make it a priority to reach out and attend and continue relationships. We had [inaudible] on the road show, excellent in Puerto Rico, also. We're attending each of the events.

I'm going to turn over to questions. The first question is for Vanda. Vanda, go ahead to ask a question to Eduardo. Go ahead.

VANDA SCARTEZINI:

My question is, first of all, what do you have the same success we had in the LAC space? I believe that's a very good opportunity. In [inaudible], we had really good connections, good partnership among our region, business [inaudible]. This will be focused on business [inaudible] other kinds of organizations. What is the focus of North America space? Sorry, I could not hear. My connection was lost.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Vanda, that's a very good question. My initial idea was certainly that. I wanted to bring business people into the NARALO space and bring At-Large, [all users], and have some kind of dialogue and see where that will take us to.

Again, this is wasn't my initial reaction to this, but these conference calls that we are going to have with Chris and the rest of the ... It's gathering people from other organizations. It's geared towards doing something towards that. But, we have to be clear as to why we are meeting together there. But, yes, business people is one of the things that I wanted to get into.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Okay. May I react to that?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Sure.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry, Vanda. Can you dialogue back with Eduardo? We don't have enough time to have a dialogue on this.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Okay. Just anything that you need, I was responsible for LAC space, so I am open to discuss with you later on. Bye-bye.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Glenn, do we have you? Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry, now I'm on the phone. They transferred. Sorry, folks. Tijani, did you have a question?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I asked if the call is adjourned because I hear silence.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I'm sorry, this connection has been poor. I apologize for this. I think you can hear me fine because they finally called me to my room. Yeah, I appreciate the agenda was a little longer and we still sucked up an hour. I'm glad that everybody who could attend, especially those from APRALO region, I appreciate your participation. Vanda, please follow-up. The wisdom of what you gained in the LAC space inspired us to look at this for our area in North America.

Again, everyone, thank you so much. We hope to see you face-to-face. Yes, go ahead, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just for any other business, 30 seconds.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I've just joined the call. I've read some Skypes from Olivier and what he was asking under the item of the joint At-Large NCUC event is a suggestion for topics, so if you do have any, please do send those to Olivier. That will be again discussed during that joint event.

The second item is, again, we are now in January with about six months to go – well, five months now. End of January, February actually.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Can I say something?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: One second, Daniel. Go ahead, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: The second point is that we have about five months left in Fiscal Year 18 and AFRALO, APRALO, EURALO, and LACRALO still have discretionary funding available for their RALOs in Fiscal Year 18. Those are for local outreach events, so please do take advantage of that. I'll put the link into the details. Thank you very much.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Before you start, Daniel, I strongly suggest what Heidi said. Please use that funds. If you don't use it, you lose it. We've used all our funds for it and it has been very successful for our local events. Daniel, go ahead. We're almost done. Daniel, go ahead. This is my third time. Daniel, go ahead.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: On the issue of the EURALO hot topics, [inaudible] I suggest that also we look at ... Can you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, go ahead.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: I suggest that also include the AFRALO hot topics in discussion because here are some key pertinent issues that came out from the members

that can also be discussed during the engagement activities, just like EURALO's. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. Okay, folks. Sorry, we're out of time. Let's keep in touch. I'll see you at the next meeting. Thanks, again.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thanks, everyone. Bye-bye.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, bye-bye.

EVIN ERDOGDU: This call is now adjourned. Thank you very much for your participation. Please do not forget to disconnect your lines from the bridge and AC room. Thank you all very much and have a wonderful rest of your day. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]