

---

MARIO ALEMAN: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome, everyone, to the LACRALO Governance Working Group call on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 23:00 UTC.

On the Spanish channel, we have Sergio Salinas Porto, Aida Noblia, and Harold Arcos.

We have apologies from Dev Anand Teelucksingh and Maritza Aguero.

We do not have participants on the English channel.

From staff, we have Silvia Vivanco; and myself, Mario Alema. I will be in charge of call management. Our interpreter on this call is Sabrina.

With that, I would like to remind participants to please say their names before taking the floor, not only for the transcript record, but also to allow for accurate interpretation. With that, we can get the call started.

SERGIO SALNIAS PORTO: Thank you, Mario. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening everyone. Happy New Year, everybody. Today's call has a twofold objective. First of all, we have a translation of our first document and this document is ready to be shared within the region, so we are going to ask staff to circulate the document in the region for discussion and for approval by the region or not.

Secondly, on this call, we should keep moving forward and discussing the other topics. I am not on Adobe Connect as I speak, so I will ask staff to kindly let me know if anyone is asking for the floor.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

We can mark certain items as already discussed. For example, the topic of end users and the other topic is – excuse me, end users and individual members in the region. That was the topic. And I believe there was another topic to be addressed that has to do with the engagement of different stakeholders in some kind of board. I do not remember if we tackled this in Los Angeles, so please remind me. But I think it's important for us to start moving forward in terms of our internal organization within the region. So please help me out, and if someone can go over what we addressed in Los Angeles and to let me know whether this was part of our topics for discussion, I will appreciate it.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Sergio, if I may, regarding the items for discussion, I would like to remind you about the two action items from the call held in December. Sergio, Vanda, and Alberto were going to draft further points and incorporate those points in the Google doc.

The idea was to bring on board these topics that you have mentioned, the topics on which you have progressed, so that they are on the record. I mean, we do have them on the record of our weekly meetings, etc., but we do not have all these points aggregated in the same document or compiled in the same document. I am checking the mediation document and the points that you have mentioned are there, but only generally. It was mentioned that it would be a good idea to have some kind of council or board. Those were very broad statements but not very specific.

---

So, my suggestion would be to write down or to add these points on which you have agreed to add them to the Google doc. You can do it in Spanish on the right-hand side of the document. Everything is in Spanish there, so don't worry.

Then, members, we're going to review the metrics document drafted by Alberto Soto. That document is already on the Wiki space and it's available both in English and Spanish. So this is our status in terms of documents and in terms of progress. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you, Silvia, for that contribution. I am on my way back home to Buenos Aires. I'll be home in 10 to 15 minutes and I will be able to access Adobe Connect. You're right. It is very important for us on the one hand to do what you have just mentioned, so if you volunteer to compile these areas where we have come to an agreement and where we have made progress, then we can move forward. I believe Vanda sent a report. She submitted a report, but it is not still in the Google doc. Vanda, if you're on the call, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but we could review that report again and we could add the report to the Google doc for further translation.

I think it's very important for us to have a systematized structure and there's very little left for us to review. The operating principles indeed are a guideline for us to work on the Rules of Procedure. I believe that we can wrap that up this month if there's only two points left and we will have operating principles ready to circulate in the region. I don't know if Vanda is on the call.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Unfortunately, Vanda is not on the call, but I can draft an action item for her to add those topics on which you have agreed to add that to the Google doc. You have agreed on the type of meeting or assemblies. You have agreed on individual members, and I believe those are the two points on which you have reached an agreement.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yeah. We moved forward on the type of meetings or assemblies and the participation of individual members, yes. Now, we should see how to organize the regions for further momentum. That would be an action item and then we can work on the document on metrics that have already been shared to check with the versions in English and Spanish coincide, whether they match, and then we can circulate that for further debate and then we can put it to a vote. Sorry, Silvia, go ahead.

SILVIA VIVANCO: The document on metrics has been officially translated by ICANN staff, so it's good to go in both languages.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay, great. So, if everybody on the call agrees, we should be sending this out for further discussion in the region. Anybody oppose? Everybody agrees.

---

SILVIA VIVANCO: Aida is asking for the floor, is requesting the floor.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Aida, go ahead, please.

AIDA NOBLIA: I have a question. I read a draft document on active participation metrics. Is that what you're referring to?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yeah, that is the document Sergio is referring to.

AIDA NOBLIA: Okay, I am just checking. This is what I saw on the Wiki space. I admit I have not read it thoroughly. I just skimmed through the document. I don't know if it's ready to be sent out to the region. I don't know if you were able to review it. Maybe you did and you agree because it says draft or preliminary draft, so I haven't spoken with Alberto about this to check whether or not he believes there should be another version after this, draft or preliminary version. I think this is some kind of structure. I don't know if you think it's ready to be sent out to the region for discussion.

Also – and this is a minor detail – I believe, well, including attending a webinar for instance in participation criteria in terms of ALS members participation. Well, it wasn't clear to me during what timeframe or timeline the metrics would apply. Would they apply in a year's

---

timeframe, for example, attending at least 50% of meetings, attending the monthly teleconference, attending at least a webinar? I'm reading the document now. I don't know what you think about it.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Harold said he doesn't think this has been completed yet, but he believes that if we share it for discussion within the region, we can enrich the document because we can have further input and direction.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: May I take the floor?

AIDA NOBLIA: Yes, go ahead, please.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay, thank you. I remember that the document was circulated within this group for discussion and we didn't receive any input on this document. This was circulated more than a month ago. Yeah, you're right. It says preliminary draft or [inaudible] in Spanish. Well, this was a preliminary draft when it was sent out to this group. Now it is a draft.

Well, if we believe that this is not a complete document or a finished document, since it has been translated into English, I would suggest that we should wait for our colleagues, our friends from the Caribbean, to provide their input and we can wait a little bit longer. But, I remind you, we have shared this document within the group about a month ago and

---

no input was received. So we can start discussing this document right now and see if we can move forward. If you agree, we can get started.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

If I may, I have another comment from Harold. He says, yes, we should do further work on this document. We should have more significant input from Alberto and we should also provide further input. Also, Antonio Medina believed, just like Harold, that it may be enriching to share the document, but also to get the discussion started region wide. Aida agrees with Harold in terms of sending the document to the region.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Okay. We have the document on the screen now and we are saying that this document is not a finished document yet. So let us start now. Let us start analyzing the document now, so that we can send something out to the region that is a little bit more elaborate, if you will, if you believe that this is not enough to send out to the region.

I want to make something clear. Metrics or criteria, active participation criteria, are not rules to kick people out to the group – much to the contrary. Some members in our region perhaps do not have enough training or capacity building and they feel overwhelmed and they need to be motivated, so we cannot be that blunt and we cannot say that if someone does not participate that person has to leave. We have to take that into consideration because we need inclusive rules. We need to include people, not to exclude them.

---

So, my suggestion is to have a threshold, yes, okay. You need to attend at least a webinar. You need to attend a certain number of LACRALO members. Well, okay, in that case, if you do not meet that threshold, we can see what actions can be taken.

I remember the prior version of our participation criteria and our metrics and that was very, very, very long. This is more summarized. At the time, there was plenty of discussion. Even so, those metrics were never put in place.

This is just a Word document. It's a one-pager. Let us focus on this document and see if there's anything further we can add before we circulate it to the region. Once we circulate it to the region, we will have the possibility to receive further input. Do you agree with that? Are you okay with this proposal?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Aida is asking for the floor.

AIDA NOBLIA:

Thank you. First of all, I must say that by no means do I believe that we need to exclude people. On the contrary. I believe we need to bring people on board. However, what I was trying to say was that the document is not a finished document yet, and in terms of attending a webinar, well, we can speak about a webinar in a year's time. Okay, that would be reasonable. But, if I have been in a region for five years and I haven't attended a webinar, well, that's another thing.



---

It may seem obvious, but the timeframe is not indicated. Then there's a percentage indicated in another case, at least in point 1A. It says that participants have to attend at least 50% of meetings or monthly conference calls. Well, we have an idea of that percentage.

So, if in 1B, we said attend at least one webinar a year, well, that would be more specific and more reasonable I believe because a webinar a year is reasonable. It doesn't mean that you're going to exclude anyone. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you. I am in Adobe Connect now. Thank you. I can see the screen. Yes, Aida, to your point, you're right. I believe we missed that point you were making. I think we should include what you're saying in the document. Let us review the document point by point. What do you think?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Sergio, we have some comments. Antonio Medina says that he doesn't agree with Sergio. He believes we need to send this out to the region right now, because if not, we are delaying this.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: That's why I was asking if he agreed with my suggestion or not because Harold said he agreed. That's why I'm asking everyone on the call. Maybe you can use the green checkmark in Adobe Connect to indicate whether you agree or not with my suggestion of analyzing the document right now. If we believe that this document is not finished

---

yet, well, let us make the most of the time on the call. Thank you, Harold, I see your green check. Thank you. Aida?

AIDA NOBLIA:

Well, I don't have an issue with either option, but I think that your suggestion is reasonable in that we can make the most of the time on this call in order to read the document and make further comments. If not, we can do something else on the call to make the most of this time and have a productive meeting. I don't think it's a bad idea to read the document. I wouldn't agree with Antonio because the fact that we review the document now doesn't mean that we are not going to send it to the region right away. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you, Aida. I agree with you in that we can treat a document that you believe is not complete and we can send it out to the region including further topics that are not included or further aspects or details that are not included. For example, what you mentioned about attending a webinar. I took it for granted that it was one webinar a year, but that is not mentioned. And if it's not mentioned in writing, then it's not applicable. So, if you agree and if Harold agrees as well, I would suggest that we should review the document and make any changes that we consider necessary and then we send it out for translation and circulate it in the region.

Antonio is asking how long we have been devoting to this already. Well, I think we're going to start devoting time to this activity right now because nothing happened before. What we have to do is to review this

---

document, agree on this document. So we are going to correct it, agree on it, and send out a better version of this document to our region. Members in our region will read the document and will provide further input for further improvement.

So, if Silvia can kindly read the document, we are going to review it in full and we're going to stop as necessary in order to make and suggest changes.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Preliminary draft on active participation metrics. The criteria in this preliminary draft indicator have to do with face-to-face and online meetings, participation in working group at all levels within LACRALO, ALAC, and ICANN and participation on mailing lists. Until something else is decided, the LACRALO Chair and Secretariat shall be responsible for drafting participation scorecards.

The participation of any ALS member is valid in terms of metrics. LACRALO will apply the following criteria and threshold to measure participation of an ALS within our region and the activities within At-Large within a calendar year.

One, active participation by an ALS is understood as the following. A, attend at least 50% of meetings and monthly teleconferences, attending at least one webinar, have at least one member of that ALS in a LACRALO or ALAC or ICANN Working Group or cross-community working group.

---

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Sorry for the interruption, Silvia. There's a part that says LACRALO shall apply the following criteria and thresholds to measure the participation of an ALS within our region and in the At-Large activities within a calendar year or the prior calendar year, if applicable. Well, then attending a webinar is one webinar per year according to what you have just read. I think it could be a little bit redundant to say attending a webinar, at least one webinar per year, because we have a prior paragraph before this list of items, this list of criteria, and that paragraph indicates that this is a calendar year – March 2018 to March 2019, for instance. Do you understand otherwise?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Aida says it's okay. If I may, I have a suggestion. I would add within a calendar year. I would add a comma and then within a calendar year.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay. There's no harm in having more details. Could you please add [inaudible] that in point 1B – actually, in all these items under item one, we need to add one calendar year so that there's no room for doubt. Okay, let us go on reading.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. So, 1B or item one. Active participation of an ALS is understood as A attending at least 50% of the teleconferences, B attending at least one webinar, and C having one member of the ALS in a LACRALO, ALAC, ICANN, or cross-community working group. Then the Chair and Secretariat shall be responsible to keep in touch regularly with ALSes

---

that are not participating and shall record or keep a record of that contact.

The objective is to maintain an inclusive, a criteria [inaudible], in order to avoid decertificatiosn and increase participation. ALSes that do not meet these criteria in the last 12 months shall not be able to apply for funding of any of the representatives to attend meetings and shall not be able to apply for funding within the CROP program.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Harold has a further input. He is concerned about measuring participation. He wants to promote, motivate, and encourage participation of individuals within ALSes that are registered in the community. So if you can do a copy/paste of this part, then that would be great. I know that this is included or this is implied in the paragraph, but there's no harm in including this information before, so that the most relevant part comes first.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, that's right. I have just taken down that suggestion for the record.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Do you think there's anything missing in this document? Because we're speaking about traveling as if ICANN were only about traveling and I believe that ICANN goes beyond or is far more than traveling. In fact, very few of our colleagues get to travel, so we should be encouraging and motivating ALSes to participate. I believe that this has to do with the internal workings of our region, the possibility of being represented.

---

I think this is a broader issue, and maybe you can help me out here because, if not, according to the document metrics focus on who gets to travel and who doesn't. I believe that, really, this boils down to representing the users in your country. Can you help me out please?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

If I may, I have a comment. I've seen other RALOs and they measure participation in terms of allowing participants to vote. But, if participants who do not meet the participation criteria may lose their right to vote. I have a document from one of the RALOs. Just one second. Bear with me please because I have the version in English. One of the consequences of not participating is losing their member status and also members may be suspended and may lose their voting rights. That may be one of the consequences of not meeting the participation threshold. I have active participation criteria for NARALO members. They may lose voting rights for two election rounds, or they may lose their voting rights in three consecutive years. Then they may lose the right to participate in a specific ICANN working group and also they may lose the right to present a comment for a two-month period.

Then there's another criteria. They need to present comments on the mailing list at least once in 12 months and they need to attend two NARALO calls in a 12-month period.

If the member participates actively in other ICANN activities, then NARALO can make an exception. So there is some kind of flexibility in these rules. I am going to post the link to this document to the Adobe Connect chat room. Their document is in English.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Silvia. When you say or when you mentioned that participants that do not meet the criteria may lose their voting right, I think they lose the right to elect members and they lose the right to be elected.

So, I believe perhaps we might borrow this text. We might take it literally from what you have just read, the document – the NARALO document. I don't know if my colleagues on the call agree, so can you please indicate whether you agree or not using the green check in the Adobe Connect room.

SILVIA VIVANCO: If I may, I am going to post that section I was mentioning. I'm going to post it in the chat. In the case of an ALS member's failure to meet the minimum performance standards set forth in the NARALO standards, the Chair may after 30 days advance written notice change the status of an ALS to inactive status without voting rights or access to ALS members benefits.

This process should be well-documented on the Wiki. The ALS must then be notified of this change from the given opportunity for appeal this change in status. So, the ALS is moved to an inactive status. There's a due process.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Silvia, you are a lawyer. Am I right?

---

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, you're right.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: So, in your capacity as a lawyer, as an attorney, this doesn't mean that the ALS loses the ALS status. It means that it is suspended.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Exactly.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: So, the ALS can resume its normal life within the region.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Exactly. This is an internal NARALO process. Then, there's a further stage with a former RALO recommendation for the ALAC to take action. So, within the RALO, the ALS now has an inactive ALS status. So there's a vote, because the ALS has been moved to inactive status, then the ALS cannot vote, for instance.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay. So, I'm reading Harold's comment and he's right. He says that the last paragraph in which there's a higher power that can forgive the ALS or not, well that may be a little bit arbitrary. But maybe we may add this paragraph and then we can add that this is going to be further



---

determined in our Rules of Procedure and we can consider special cases.

For example, there was a football team and the entire football team passed away sadly because there was an airplane crash. That was very sad. Well, that is an extreme circumstance, but there must be someone who can take over. We should be able to consider special circumstance in order to lift a sanction.

In terms of that second part of the paragraph that was dealing with forgiving, so to speak, an ALS, well we may have that further regulated in our Rules of Procedure and we can take this paragraph that you were just reading because ALAC really certifies ALSes. We provide recommendations. That's what we do. How do you feel about it?

AIDA NOBLIA:

Yes, I agree. I'm no longer in the Adobe Connect room, but I agree.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Okay. If you agree, then we can include this paragraph. We can let it rest for a week so that Alberto can read it, for example, and we can get further input. We are going to devote only seven days to reading this document, and if any of the group members have any further input, that's fine. If not, we continue. We move on.

AIDA NOBLIA:

Yes, I agree. I'm on the phone only. My apologies.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: No, no. Don't worry, Aida. No problem at all. There's plenty of activity in the chat. I cannot catch up with all the comments. Just bear with me. It seems that Antonio agrees with this paragraph. Harold had made a comment about the second part of the paragraph. Harold mentions that in our RALO we have different cases. We have people that make very valuable contributions that they very rarely appear on the mailing list.

This is another issue. We speak about face-to-face and we speak about online meetings. At the beginning, there were only 10 or 12 ALSes. Now there's 50 ALSes and it's very difficult for all of us to attend. I disagree with the fact that ICANN is not promoting a meeting of all the ALSes periodically. So perhaps we could delete that part that is in brackets, the part that indicates face-to-face and online [inaudible] meetings.

AIDA NOBLIA: Yes, of course. It may be either.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yes, I agree, but I would leave meetings because that's broader. It's more generic. Harold is right because not everyone can attend face-to-face meetings because if we have a roll call in a face-to-face meeting and Aida is not there because she didn't get the funding to attend, that's not fair. Aida, you should provide funding to all of us. You're a notary public and you earn very good money.

---

We should leave meetings, just that, and then when we focus on our Rules of Procedure, we can decide whether we take into consideration both face-to-face and virtual meetings, online meetings.

Harold, it seems you're writing your last will and testament. Do you agree or not? This is just the answer that I need and you keep typing. Okay. We are five minutes away from the top of the hour. He said yes in his prior comment. He adds that we should take into account that we are aiming at active participation. This is a comment by Antonio. Yes, exactly, Antonio.

First of all, we want to encourage participation. However, when we face these situations when people do not participate, do not attend the webinar, do not attend the RALO meetings, they are there because their name is on the list. Well, the region must do something about it.

In 2015, I believe we focused on a process and we focused on regulating these criteria. Well, this is a very generic document. It's not fully regulated. This is like a general guideline. So my suggestion is that further on we focus on any possible sanction or suspension for an ALS. But that should be the result of a process during which the RALO Chair and Secretariat or the RALO Board reaches out repeatedly to that inactive ALS. So the very last resort should be the suspension or sanction. Once we determine that we have been reaching out repeatedly and we have no response from that ALS, well in that case, we suspend the ALS.

In our prior document, the Chair and Secretariat would continue reaching out to the ALS until the ALS would decide or indicate that it

---

would continue participating or it would indicate that they were no longer interested in being an ALS, so they would stop participating.

So if you agree, we can add this input to the document. Silvia is taking down notes, so we can add these notes to this preliminary draft. As soon as we receive the notes, we will incorporate them into this preliminary draft and we will circulate it within the group for further reading.

So, please, do reply to the e-mail. Do express whether you agree or not. Then we send this out for translation and then we share it with the region for further consideration. What do you think?

AIDA NOBLIA:

Yes, of course. I agree. Sounds good to me.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Harold, Antonio, how do you feel about this? Harold agrees. I see the green check. Antonio? Let's see. Antonio is typing a comment. What if they don't participate and then all of a sudden they want to reach leadership positions? Antonio, if they are suspended, they're not going to have any chance to reach any leadership position. First of all, they need to regain their active status. If they regain an active status, well, we need to add this aspect in our Rules of Procedure. When are we going to decide that an ALS is active or inactive?

According to these criteria, these ALSes will have the chance to represent the users in the region and there wouldn't be any problem with that. But we need to work on the criteria first.

---

We are one minute away from the top of the hour. I see that Antonio agreed to the proposal. I think that if we receive these notes, I can redraft the document, add the input to the document. I can circulate the updated document. Please pay attention to the governance mailing list. Feel free to add your suggestions, so that we can bring this document to a close and circulate it.

We have reached the top of the hour. We are actually one minute past the top of the hour. If you agree, then next Thursday we can hold another call at 23:00 UTC. What do you think? Or does Wednesday work better for you? Can you let me know if you prefer Wednesday or Thursday for our meeting at 23:00 UTC?

AIDA NOBLIA: Either day is okay for me.

SILVIA VIVANCO: I suggest Thursday. I'm checking the calendar. It would be Thursday, the 18<sup>th</sup> next week.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay. If you all agree, then we will be holding our next call next Thursday, January 18<sup>th</sup> at 23:00 UTC. I'm confident that we will have moved forward with this document and we can also address Vanda's contribution.

Our next topic is going to be our Board, the LACRALO Board. Let us think of how we could work with this Board – about the Board membership

---

also. This is not about traveling. It's about distributing the workload so that more colleagues can also work. It has to be something operational that goes beyond the Chair, the Secretariat, and the two ALAC members. The RALO Board has to do with our internal workings and organizations, so as to be more productive within ICANN. Let us start thinking about this.

Our agenda for the next meeting is to wrap up these topics that we have been addressing today and then we will dive into the RALO Board. I send you all my very warm regards and I wish you all a wonderful rest of your day. Thank you all very much. Goodbye.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**