

---

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the LACRALO Governance Working Group call on Thursday, 7 December 2017, at 23:00 UTC.

We do not have anybody on the English channel. On the Spanish channel, we have Carlos Vera, Sergio Salinas Porto, Vanda Scartezini, Antonio Medina Gomez, and Aida Noblia. We have apologies from Humberto Carrasco, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, and Alberto Soto.

From staff, we have Silvia Vivanco and myself, Claudia Ruiz. I will be doing the call management. Our interpreters are Veronica and Paula.

I would like to remind everyone that when speaking to please state your name and to please speak slowly, not only for the transcription purposes but also for the interpreters.

Thank you, and I hand it over to you, Sergio.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening for all the participants that are here. I think for most of us on this call, it's good evening. We have a lot to discuss in this meeting. Now I see that Alberto Soto is also joining us.

There was a point that we couldn't finalize in our previous meeting. It had to do with the participation of individual members. We also have a document that was sent today. It was sent by Alberto. We held a meeting, and we were able to finalize some details. Alberto has been

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

kind enough to work on the metrics based on the document that was submitted in 2015. I feel hopeful that we will be able to approve this document and to send it as a first output from this group. I think that there's still a lot to be done. We are running out of time.

[inaudible] thought that we would be able to have the Operating Principles presented and submitted for [approval] [inaudible] by the end of the year, but I see that we still need to make some adjustments. But if we work hard, perhaps we can get to the end of the month with these, although we have the holiday season in between. But I think that we need to make some adjustments.

Vanda has sent me an e-mail asking me about the status of Dev's work, and I'm at a loss really. I don't know whether he made any additions to what he had already done. I'm going to have a conversation with Dev tomorrow to ask him about this document to see if he has been able to include on that document all the views that we expressed. The truth is that I'm at a loss here. I don't know really where we are.

Vanda is asking for the floor. Go ahead, Vanda.

VANDA SCARTEZINI:

Good evening to you all. Dev did not have time and according to the reply that he sent to me, I think that he gave this responsibility to Bartlett. I think that Bartlett may give you an answer. That is what his reply said. So I believe that it would be better to gather all the information and once we have all the information before us, we can talk to Bartlett. Because if we try to do that in the middle of this discussion, that will not be productive.

---

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Vanda, have you finished?

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Yes, thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Vanda, for your contribution. What I'm going to do is the following. I'm going to talk with Bartlett and also going to talk with Dev, and once I have [inaudible] I will have a more accurate idea of what is happening. I have a few notes, and I'm going to check those notes initially with Dev because he was the person who was in charge of this issue. Then I will see Bartlett is the person who is taking over now to deal with those items that we captured in the different meetings.

As soon as I finish with this, Silvia, I'm going to give you the floor because I'm sure that you have some announcements to make. But this is my proposal. Alberto also volunteered to work on a clean draft of everything that we have made progress on. There are a few things that we haven't yet finalized. Alberto was my [alter ego] in the discussion in the last meeting, and unfortunately he's not here. But we can make some progress. We can put everything in black and white in the Operating Principles. I can check each of the issues on which we have some kind of obstacles and also those that presented some obstacles but were solved. I think that those are the ones agreed on by consensus.

---

So I think that we should also take the document that was prepared in L.A. and revisit it to see if we still need to discuss some of the issues reflected there in our meeting.

Since one hour is not enough to make enough progress, I suggest that this week and next week we be more proactive through the mailing list working as a group. I think that we need to get the Operating Principles done in these two weeks. There are some obstacles. We might find a turn around. One of them is individual users. We have reached some level of consensus on some aspects, but with regard to when we can consider that a virtual ALS has been established and once we have defined when the individual users can cast a vote, then we can also make progress on that. Alberto can also give his own views. That is why I suggested we do this through the mailing list.

Silvia, you have the floor.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

This is just to clarify that I talked with Bartlett a week or two ago and he said that he was going to do his best to capture the suggestions, but he told me that he didn't have much time to participate here as a notetaker. So perhaps we can continue working through Google Docs with a new [clauses]. I can have a look at them, and I can translate them immediately. Of course, that would not be the official document, but at least we can make some progress. Dev was in charge of the Google Doc, but then he sent that to Vanda and to Sergio with editing rights. So that is what I wanted to say. That was my suggestion. Thank you.

---

I think that Sergio has dropped from the call. Perhaps we can start dialing back to him. Okay, he's going to be called now. Just a minute, please.

While Sergio connects back to the call, Antonio is asking me whether I talked with EURALO about the virtual participation model they have. Antonio, I have access – all of you have – to the wiki page where they have the individual users participation model in EURALO. That is publicly available and, in fact, I can give you a summary of what it looks like. I think that Vanda also wrote about the different participation models over the last few days.

There is only one organization, EURALO Individual Users. In this organization, they have all the individual members that want to participate there in EURALO. I'm going to share this with you in the chat window. Just give me a minute please.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Hi again. I have reconnected.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: There was an answer to Antonio's question on the chat.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Vanda, I read what you said, and taking advantage of the fact that Silvia was talking about the EURALO proposal, I would say the following. I read Vanda's mail and I have only one objection to what she said. I think it is interesting to have individual members participating in one group.

---

We don't need to have an internal board. I agree on the Doodle option, and they will decide which of the members with voting powers. But I don't know if that should be done by LACRALO or they will have to do it themselves. But that would come at the second stage.

Now the last point, the fact that they cannot [be] selected for a position within LACRALO, in that case, I do have an objection. I don't believe they should be representatives of ALSes that were collectively in their countries and follow a collective participation approach. I that individual members should not be the representatives. If they go through the election process and they are elected by their peers, in that case, they can have the [right] to be elected for a position. But if they don't go through any election process within their own countries and they don't have that kind of representation, I don't think that they should be able to have access to those positions.

Vanda, you're asking for the floor. Go ahead, please.

VANDA SCARTEZINI:

Yes, I agree because I wanted to provide additional information to that e-mail, but then I didn't have the time. I wanted to say that they could be elected for internal positions. For instance, if they need a coordinator for a LACRALO working subgroup. But we have already discussed this issue, and I agree. They cannot run for the Chair position or for the Secretariat position or to be a representative on ALAC. This is something that was discussed together with Alberto and Aida and others. So I think that all of us are more or less in agreement about this, right? Thank you.

---

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Vanda, for your contribution. I don't know if Antonio or Aida or Carlos would like to make any comments because if we see some light with agreement, then would just have to discuss this with Alberto [in order to] be also inclusive of his views. And I think that we could consider this topic closed and we can move on the discussion of another one.

Aida, you have the floor. Aida, we cannot hear you. Aida, are you speaking? Because we cannot hear you. Okay, so while Aida solves her audio issue, I will give the floor to Antonio. Antonio, go ahead, please.

ANTONIO MEDINA GOMEZ: Hello. Good evening. Can you hear me?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Antonio, please speak louder because your audio is faint.

ANTONIO MEDINA GOMEZ: I'm sorry, but I cannot speak louder. I want to add this. I think it is important to make the effort of....

SILVIA VIVANCO: Sorry for interrupting you, Antonio. We cannot hear you.

---

ANTONIO MEDINA GOMEZ: So in the short term, this will apply to the already established ALSes, I mean this methodology. And perhaps we can receive them as members because they're well established ALSes with their bylaws.

INTERPRETER: We cannot hear Antonio Medina.

ANTONIO MEDINA GOMEZ: So this has to do with the impact of a community. I mean, you have to be willing to work throughout time. Thank you very much.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you very much, Antonio. I don't know if the interpreters were able to interpret the message, but it was really difficult for me to hear him and there are some things that I did not understand. So, Antonio, if you could please write that on the chat so that your point of view is already recorded on the chat just in case the interpreters were not able to hear you so that we can have your comment already recorded on the AC room. Thank you very much, Antonio, for your comment. I'm sorry for not hearing you okay.

AIDA NOBLIA: Can you hear me? Well, I agree. I read the document circulated by Vanda, and perhaps the last document received has some questions that are not clear.



---

I think it would be good to make the most of the knowledge and the skills of individual users who are willing to work in a working group. This issue of representation or political representation as it is the case of the Chair or the Secretariat, that would be another issue. This has a different perspective because we have to speak about representation here.

But in any case, we also need to see and take into account that if they're elected, it is because they are elected by all the community, by the whole community and they will represent a strong opinion in relation to the other ALSes. If you consider that this is representative enough, that is okay because sometimes a person might not live in his or her country or be in one ALS. But that person may be seen or considered to have the capacity to be able to represent the region.

So that is my point. That is my comment, which is not that clear to me. So I [wouldn't dare say] [inaudible]. And as for the rest, I agree. I think that we have to make the most of all the opportunities. We need voices to be heard and to participate. That's all. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you very much, Aida, for your comment. I would like to reply to your comment. I feel that an individual user is not a peer in terms of organizational structure. I am an individual user, but I do participate in an organization and I do represent a group of people and those people trust in me. Our election platform has issues to be voted on. However, we have a mandate to be able to do things at ICANN and at other international organizations where we do participate.

---

So along these lines, I believe that I need to talk to a peer, to a colleague. This is not because it is not a human being. A person might have the same issues and the same questions that I have and the same feelings on certain topics as me. We can share many things. But that person does not undergo a democratic process. Those processes are taken by organizations, and they do not participate representing a group. So I don't think that person might represent me if that person is not able to live together with other people in a group.

In Argentina, we have nine organizations, and we cannot have one person representing no organization and not making the effort to work with other people. So that is an issue there that we need to solve. I don't think that person might be able to represent me or the region because that person needs to understand the views and the voices of all the people that are part of a group, which is LACRALO. So in this particular topic, I get really tough and I know now that. I am not flexible at all, but I don't think that they have any possibility of participation.

There are two people in the list: Vanda and then Aida. Vanda, go ahead, please.

CARLOS VERA: I would like to take the floor please.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay, Carlos, you will take the floor after Aida.

---

VANDA SCARTEZINI: I think that what Antonio said before is that there is an opportunity, and this opportunity is to open participation for ALSes complying with the principles and those people wanting to participate as individuals should have the same principles. I have opened that for [inaudible] for Bolivia and even for Uruguay. I'm not remembering that right now. But I think that can be an alternative. We have Bartlett as an individual, and he's representing us anyway. He's representing us in ALAC, for example, as it was the case of Leon. He does not belong to an ALS, but he contributes really a lot to the work of our group as a whole. So I don't think we should be so inflexible. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you very much, Vanda. Now, Aida, you have the floor. Go ahead, please.

AIDA NOBLIA: Well, I would like to add some comments. Basically, what we try to do as a member of the region which the working forces in the region are and if the other ALSes in the region or other ALSes in most of the regions appoint a certain person because they feel represented, this does not mean that person is the one deciding. That person is not saying, "I will go." It is the other party, the other members of LACRALO voting that person and we are the ones thinking or considering.

So Vanda mentioned two people, and I feel very happy with them. I feel well represented, but perhaps there might be some other person coming from my country or from an ALS that due to the skills that person may have for the certain position, that person might not be

---

suitable for this. Everything is related to the region's criteria, and it is the majority of the region deciding upon this.

We are in an era of world citizens, and that is a group of elements that are not material elements. Each region has its own characteristics, and sometimes an individual with a certain level of knowledge may be representing this region in a better way than any other person being part of an ALS. So [inaudible] my comment, but I want to reassure this idea or support this idea.

There are other opinions, such as the one coming from [Harold]. He also mentioned this issue, and perhaps we should check with him. But he mentioned that there are individuals representing groups and they are doing a good job. So we also need to consider that there are people who are already working. That's it. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you very much, Aida. Carlos Vera, you have the floor. Go ahead, please.

CARLOS VERA: I see that we have two things to work on. One has to do with the legality and the other is legitimacy and the capacity of representing a position. In a previous [stage], we have decided upon certain participation mechanisms to address this type of situation where any individual manifesting his or her interests on certain topics might have a seat representing end users and to encourage the participation of the rest of the region.

---

The other issue that we have is the organization, something that Vanda mentioned before. And also, she mentioned the global nature of representation. So we need to provide legitimacy to the organization so the different groups are not only from a regional perspective. Because nowadays we're having a regional representation, and this is not an issue related or a topic related representation. So this is focused on geography.

Having mentioned this, the mechanism is to favor participation in the organization. So perhaps we might need to keep on working so as to find a situation and to find the necessary mechanism. As Sergio said, we need to have representation and we need to have good representation.

INTERPRETER:

Antonio Medina Gomez' audio is not clear, so interpretation might not be clear enough.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Let me propose this. We have already moved forward on this aspect if you remember. Let's remember when we started discussion some time ago, we have discussed the issue of the participation of individual users within LACRALO. So I believe that we can agree upon these topics on the region. And we can also leave these topics which are hot topics for the future.

I believe that if we give some hints to assure real participation and effective participation for individual users, if we analyze or seize the composition of a virtual ALS, as we may call it, if we can move forward

---

in these processes because they need to participate in working groups and this is good, and if we contribute to that and if at the same time we can make those people or give those people the possibility to lead some working groups in the region, well, I believe that's really a long way to go.

We have to focus on the strengths and we have to focus on our way forward. There are other topics that might be controversial, but we can leave them for the future. Of course, these Operating Principles are not going to be perfect, but they're a huge step forward if we consider our starting point. So my suggestion is if there are topics that we cannot solve, please do not [stay there]. Let's just move forward, and in the future let's see if we can resume discussions about those topics.

We may change opinion, or we may choose to go in another direction. But I believe that we need to be patient, that we need to take this as a huge step forward. This is not going backwards but forward, and we need to keep on working. If we were able to make it to here, we can leave this for the future. So let's continue working on positive aspects, the things that we offer to individual user. Then we will see how we can work on this.

Then first of all, they will need to prove that they're able to listen to all the voices and that they are able to commit to regional processes. If that is the case, we will probably continue working on that. If you agree with me, I propose that we finish, that we close this issue at least after what Vanda said. I'm going to copy and paste Items B and C. I'm going to copy and paste this. I have already posted the information on the

---

chat. Can you see the whole text? I'm not sure if everything is there. I think there is only some part of the text.

SILVIA VIVANCO: The text goes until the sentence that reads "the LACRALO vote for any situation."

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Sorry, Silvia, can you repeat that.

SILVIA VIVANCO: The last paragraph reads, "I don't think it is necessary to have an internal vote for the ALSes." Sorry, I was reading the wrong paragraph. The final sentence reads as this, "the LACRALO vote for any situation."

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yes, that's the end of the text sent by Vanda. So if you agree with this, if you think that this text may work, we can continue working on this item and pass on to the other.

Aida, I see your hand up. Go ahead, please.

AIDA NOBLIA: Well, I just wanted to mention that I am a bit concerned about the fact that they can't participate in working groups. I don't know if that is there because a working group is different from being elected for any other position. I don't know if that is well understood. [inaudible]. So we

---

are given the possibility of participating in working groups and to coordinate working groups. Is that okay?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Aida, they can lead working groups.

AIDA NOBLIA: Okay.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: We are giving them a lot of [inaudible] and possibility of active participation within the region, but group representation activities are given to the organization. Silvia Vivanco is asking if we're going to write something on Google Docs. Well, I believe that it would be good to have this information there. Vanda made a great effort and she sent all the information quickly. I don't know if we should have any key or any password to access the document to participate. If that is the case, we will begin working on that. Antonio Medina, you have the floor. And Carlos Vera is also asking for the floor. So first Antonio and then Carlos. Antonio, go ahead. Antonio, are you there?

ANTONIO MEDINA GOMEZ: Can you hear me.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yes, we can hear you.



ANTONIO MEDINA GOMEZ: I insist on the importance of having openness in LACRALO. We have Bartlett who is a valuable person for our region. He has the support of our community, and he has found his way in ICANN. So I think that this is something that happened over time. And I didn't know that Leon did not have an ALS.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: He participates in ISOC.

ANTONIO MEDINA GOMEZ: Alan Greenberg was also participating on an individual basis as an individual member, and we have seen him in ICANN as a person who works hard and he is a leader. So I think, I insist on the fact of keeping an open mind in order to make also room for individuals that may be looking for a way to join LACRALO because perhaps they can be very good contributors to the development of our work. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Antonio, for your comment. Just to make sure there is a good understanding and I'm also including this on the chat window, Leon is part of ISOC. He joined LACRALO as a NomCom ALAC member, but he was an active participant in ISOC. I just wanted to clarify that.

Now, Carlos Vera is asking for the floor. I also want to move forward with this because we are 12 minutes away from the top of the hour, so with need to move forward. Carlos, go ahead.

---

CARLOS VERA: I think that the starting point would be to allow them to participate in the working groups and also in coordinating positions. Because these working groups are groups that are established for a certain period of time. They do not exist on a permanent basis. So here you can also have the participation of ALS members and when the group disappears, everything disappears, so they do not have a permanent representation like the ALSes will have. So I think that could be one way of allowing them to participate. Even though we are representing the users, that would be a channel through which the individual users could represent themselves. So I agree with that proposal and I think we can [inaudible] along those lines. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Carlos. I think that what we have done is a big step forward. I think that we have made a lot of progress on this issue and perhaps we can close the discussion on this point here. The active participation of individual users within LACRALO with this kind of organization, with this kind of structure where they can have representation, where they can be part of a working group, where they can lead a working group, they can be part of the region without having an ALS. That way we can take advantage of their willingness to work and their expertise to contribute to the work of ICANN. I think that is very important, and we can move forward like that. So if we all agree on this minimum level, of course, later on we will have to engage in another discussion where we are going to discuss the Rules of Procedure and we will define how this virtual ALS can be set up. But that is a separate discussion, and we can

---

look at that at a later time. But for the time being, if we can agree on this, we would be also close in this issue and we are overcoming a big obstacle.

Aida, you have the floor.

AIDA NOBLIA:

I fully agree with what has been said so far, and I think that we can take advantage of the experience and the knowledge of those individual users who are recognized by the region in that way. And when there is another situation, and I know that this might be more controversial, it is the entire region that will vote for or against that user. And if that user has the majority of the votes in the region, that is because the region acknowledges that individual user's ability to represent the region. I just bring this up here because I think that for certain positions, the entire region would be voting and it's not that that individual will have no support at all. So I'm just raising this point here because it has to do with voting.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you, Aida. I take note of your comment, but I insist we made a lot of progress on this discussion and we have taken a huge step forward. And from [inaudible] no, we came all the way up to here. But I think that we shouldn't start the debate over again. I think that we should close the discussion on this topic. In our document, we shouldn't make mention of the possibility of being elected for positions such as Chair, Secretariat, ALAC member. We have to be very careful. So let us not put any reference to that right now.

---

We've made a lot of progress. Let's leave that for a later discussion. But if now we want to discuss that, that could take us months. So let's try to move ahead with this. Let's close this chapter. Let's finalize the first iteration of the Operating Principles, and then at a later time once we have done this and once we can reestablish relations within the region, once the democratic has moved forward in the region, let's revisit this to see if we need to make some adjustments or some changes.

Now we are trying to predict the future because we don't have one single individual user. All the users have come to us through an ALS, and if they haven't come through and ALS, we took the time to set up an ALS with bylaws and with all the necessary rules and signatures within ICANN. So my suggestion is we have made a lot of progress, so let's put this on paper. We have agreement on many points here, so if there is something that we still aren't sure of, leave it for a later time. Then we will have to talk about internal work of LACRALO. And probably once we have five or eight users, we find a need to revisit this and we realize that those people also need to have the option of representing others.

Today from my point of view, I think that this has been the result of our discussion. And we don't welcome this idea of having individual users who do not go through any elections or organizational process to be at the same level as others that have gone through all those processes. We shouldn't have that kind of equal footing for this type of participation. They don't have the same status, I think. Perhaps time proves that I'm wrong. So in principle, that is my viewpoint.

We only have five minutes left, so I would like to put forward a proposal if you allow me. This morning – or I correct myself – at the beginning of

---

the meeting, [I] said that it would be very nice if we could finish this work by late December or early January at the latest. So I would like to propose Vanda and Alberto as members for a smaller group, a [trusting] group if the other colleagues accept this proposal, so that they can put on paper the agreement that we have reached so far. So I'm going to forward again the points that we discussed in Los Angeles in order to revisit these points one-by-one to see what we think about them. And I will start checking them within the group and see if we can have a discussion over the e-mail list. So I will try to see if there are people who want to participate through the mailing list and that perhaps cannot join us in the calls.

Alberto sent an e-mail today, and he made reference to metrics. So I would like this group to tell me whether they agree with what he sent. This is quite simple. His proposal is simple. It contains just two points. So if you agree, we can forward this proposal to LACRALO as the first iteration of the work done by the Governance working group. If you don't agree, please say so on an e-mail in reply to Alberto's e-mail or say if you agree also in reply to that e-mail.

The issue of [participation] has to do with the processes within LACRALO. If we put the bar too high, perhaps that won't be feasible. So we need to make sure that the processes are such that allow for people's participation.

These metrics seem to be designed only to deal with the travel issue, but I would like to [inaudible] that could guarantee the Chair and the Secretariat that they can have a tidy piece of work so that they can really understand why people are or aren't participating so that they

---

don't have to wait for 40 or 50 or as many as we are to do some fruitful work when actually perhaps that is not possible.

So in principle what I say is the following: these metrics set very low expectations. They are asking for 50% participation in all meetings, to participate in a working group. And here we are talking about the participation of an ALS, not of an individual member. I'm not actively participating because my time schedule does not allow me to participate in the LACRALO meetings, but I have two colleagues of mine who attend those meetings and now two or three more are going to join.

So in our ALSes, we also need to see what is happening. Yes, it says webinar, Aida. Yes, that's right, but I know it sounds strange but let's begin by this. This sets a minimal level of participation. There are some ALSes that don't participate not even in one single webinar. There are ALSes that have no participation at all in the working groups. So my suggestion is let's set a minimum level. If with this minimum level we see that there is no participation, of course we will have to revisit the process. We will have to start the dialogue and invite them. But first, we need to try using different tools to see if we can get those ALSes to contribute their knowledge.

It is one minute past 9:00 local time here, and we have used up all the time scheduled for this meeting. So unless there are other comments or proposals, I suggest that we finish this call. And in this week and next week, we can continue the discussion. So if there are no comments, the call is [inaudible]. I wish you a nice evening. Tomorrow we have a

---

holiday because we celebrate [Virgin's Day], December 8. So I will see you soon. Bye.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**