
CLAUDIA RUIZ: The official recording of this call. Good morning, good afternoon and good evening. Welcome to the ALAC Leadership Team Monthly Call on Wednesday, the 22nd of November, at 18:00 UTC. From ALT we have Alan Greenberg, Bastiaan Goslings, Maureen Hilyard and Seun Ojedeji. On liaison we have Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Yrjo Lansipuro, Maureen Hilyard and Julie Hammer.

Participants we have Olivier Crepin-Leblond. We have an apology from Bartlett Morgan. From staff we have Heidi Ulrich, Ariel Liang, Evin Erdogdu, Gisella Gruber, Mario Aleman, Silvia Vivanco, Yesim Nazlar and myself, Claudia Ruiz. And with that, I hand it over to you, Alan, thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, Claudia. Okay, we have a really packed agenda today. There's a lot of short items, so we're going to have to be really careful on time and not go over too much. Does anyone have any comments on the agenda or any other business to add?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Alan, Olivier.

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, please go ahead.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, hi Alan. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking for the transcript. I'm not sure whether you've added the email [inaudible], which is another five minutes or 10 minutes to discuss the NomCom state of affairs.

ALAN GREENBERG: NomCom state of affairs? Can you --

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: I've emailed you on this and I haven't had a response. [CROSSTALK]

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, sorry. We do have an item on NomCom, when that comes up, you can explain to us what we're talking about, because I don't recall seeing the email that you're talking about. When the other NomCom item talk comes up, please, I'll ask you to do whatever you want to do. Anything else?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: It will require time although at the time, so that's why I'm asking.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: The request, this was supposed to be in camera.

ALAN GREENBERG: In that case, we will do our best to have an in-camera session. Sorry, I didn't see that. Thank you very much. Alright, let us proceed. First of all, welcome to the first ALT call, I think, of our new year with our new

ALT, so welcome everyone. Hopefully, it will be a fun year going forward. I say that with some trepidation. The first item is review of action items on the ALT from the ALT Closing meeting on the 4th of November. Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you, everyone. This is Heidi. I've looked at them and they're primarily RALO based, so a lot for Silvia and some of the RALO leaders. There's one, Gisella, for a call with Bryan Schilling, and I think that's being scheduled for December. Then I think we're all okay with the other ones, I just wanted to raise them for your attention.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay, thank you very much. Next item is policy advice, we have a huge number of comments that are in a state of nothing to a large extent. I'd like to review the current situation and see if we can go forward. We did talk about a new process by which this would not happen and we wouldn't be waiting for ALT calls or ALAC calls to make these decisions.

Clearly, nothing has happened and we're going to have to take this more seriously going forward. Today we have the specific issue of the current comments. Ariel, can you please take us through them and quickly identify what the status is in terms of priority order; that is the ones that close soonest.

ARIEL LIANG:

Thanks, Alan. This is Ariel speaking. I just put the link to the Wiki page in the chat. We have eight of the comment proceedings that are open.

The most urgent ones are, one is on the PTI and IANA FY19 Operating Plans and Budgets that will close in four days, but then there's no response from ALAC where Mohamed [inaudible] regarding whether a statement is needed. And then the other urgent one --

ALAN GREENBERG: Ariel, let's handle them one by one and get them over with. We've had no one who has indicated any need to make a comment; we explicatively asked our liaison to the CSC, to the Customer Standing Committee and did not get any response there.

Is there anyone who believes we need to take emergency action and do something on this? I'm quite willing to say we have no comment based on lack of interest, if nothing else. Hearing nothing, seeing nothing, that one we will do no comment on. Next one.

ARIEL LIANG: Thanks, Alan. Next one is on the ICANN Reserve Funds - Public Comment on Rational and Target Level. And actually, Sébastien drafted a first draft and posted it on the Wiki, but I know that probably ALAC and the ALT wants to take a look at it before it's sent out to the community to comment; and I just put the link in the chat.

ALAN GREENBERG: We're on a moderately tight schedule on that one, there are eight days left. Number one, I believe it is something we must comment on. Sébastien has put essentially not a comment but a set of notes; the first half of it is really recapping critical parts of the statement that was

generated by staff. Can you hold on a second, I have someone at my door, it won't take long.

He then put up a number of comments; the comments are interesting and worth looking at and following on. The format of the whole document is not really at a stage where we can call it an ALAC statement. We can certainly have Ariel work on formatting it, but I really think it needs someone else to look at it from a substantive point of view and try to flesh it out a little bit and make sure that whatever Sébastien is saying is something that we believe will be universally or largely held by ALAC and At-Large.

So I'm looking for another person, I'm willing to do some work on it as well and I'm going to make some comments on it, but I think we need someone else. Sorry, I'm out of breath. Anyone willing to take this on?

SUEN OJEDEJI:

Yeah, this is Seun. I will look at it as well. Sorry for the background noise.

ALAN GREENBERG:

That's fine. If you can make any comments, an additional comment either in reproducing the document and commenting on it or just adding some thoughts, appreciate it. We really need to get that done in the next day or two. Once we have one or two other comments on it, Ariel will open it up for public message. Are you going to be off the next couple of days, Ariel?

ARIEL LIANG: Yes, Thanksgiving holiday.

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright. Then why don't you send a call for comments out widely right now? Let's not wait for us to do anything. Next one.

ARIEL LIANG: Next one is on the Internationalized Domain Name Implementation Guidelines - Second Public Comment, that will close on December the 10th.

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright, and on all of these ones that have opened, you have sent something out to the various At-Large lists asking for input or not?

ARIEL LIANG: I did send to the ALAC, but I'm also happy to forward to the IDN Working Group list.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm not sure there is a functional IDN Working Group List and we've decided to effectively close it down. Why don't you send it -- okay, send it to the list, but in general, for these various technical documents on IDN, we have not commented and I'm quite happy to not have one going forward in this case, but Cheryl looks like she may have other opinions. Cheryl, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: No, Cheryl doesn't have another opinion, Cheryl was going to say what you just said, which is, traditionally, unless there is something extraordinary going on that we need to jump in on, we do not make comments on these issues.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's fine. Olivier, please go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Alan. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. Just to let you know that we had a EURALO call yesterday and there was no interest in that issue either. Potentially, there could have been some interest with regards to anything to do with the Cyrillic script, but there wasn't.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Then let's go ahead to the next one. Next one is Enhancing Accountability; this is one of the CCWG Work Stream 2 issues on diversity. Sébastien has volunteered to draft a statement. Sébastien was one of the active people in that group, and my preference is always to have someone drafting statements who is not part of the group designing the statement we're commenting on, but in the absence of someone else, I'm surely happy to have him draft something.

His ideas on diversity often are at odds with other people, however. So I think we do need at least someone else involved going forward. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Olivier, is your hand still up or is that a new hand? It's an old hand.

Anyone have any interest in diversity? I know it's not something that anyone in At-Large is interested in, but... [CROSSTALK]

SEUN OJEDJI: This is Seun. What is the timeline on this one?

ALAN GREENBERG: The timeline of this one is the 15th of December. It's not immediate, but getting moderately close. We have several hands up. I'll go to Yrjo, Olivier and Cheryl, in that order.

YRJO LANSIPURO: Yeah, this is Yrjö Länsipuro for the transcript. If someone [inaudible], so I could volunteer. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Alan. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. Just to say that EURALO did have its call yesterday. We had several people interested in many of the different statements that you're going to see today, that's why you'll see several people from EURALO listed.

On the one on diversity, we should really have a diverse group of people drafting this, and I'm just very surprised that other regions of the world don't care about diversity. I think that's really bizarre.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Cheryl, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Cheryl for the record. First of all, other regions clearly care about diversity, Olivier, because other regions of the world were deeply involved in the diversity subgroup that ran this, developed this and had put this out to public comment. As I was going to say, many of your normal, willing workers, Alan, were to say the least, significantly involved in the development of this text. If you're looking for sanity checking, you won't be short on people like Julie and I jumping in and saying why things were written the way they were.

But I would very much suggest that Sébastien has a particular aspect on a particular part which we failed to get consensus, agreement on during the process, and he's likely to wish to raise that again, and that's fine because the group will deal with it again in whatever way it wishes to. If he can prevail upon the ALAC to champion that cause, well then, so be it, but it didn't hold sway for the wider group, it probably won't hold sway again, and if ALAC wishes to put a comment in, it's then going to be considered but probably have difficulty prevailing and winning the day, that's up to them.

But I think if you've got more than one person drafting it, yes, it's a good idea, but your usual suspects were forces of it anyway.

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright, so we have Sébastien volunteering, Yrjo will work with him, and I'm assuming we will get other people to quickly comment on things once they are posted. I'm willing to leave it at that at the moment and keep an eye on it. The next item --

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi; sorry I don't have my hand up. I'm just wondering -- I'm not sure when the deadline is, but I'm wondering if this is something that's so important for At-Large that perhaps there could be a webinar to discuss it and then solicit comments from the wider community?

ALAN GREENBERG: If you think you can schedule something in enough time, then I'm willing to do that. We have had at least one webinar or discussion on diversity. There was a webinar, because I remember some of the comments on it. I'm not sure another one, at this point, which will be essentially talking

about the same statement, is going to have a lot different results.
Cheryl, I -- I correct, I do remember such a webinar.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It was actually part of our Capacity Building Program and so it may not have been seen as an actual webinar. Guys, can I just remind you, what this is saying. It is putting together eight particular aspects of diversity that the group is recommending, being shrined as part of ICANN's commitment to being more diverse. This is not contentious. This should be [inaudible], yes, we agree with.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think we're done with this item at this point. I don't think we need another webinar at this point. I would say given the tight schedule and other things that we're working on, I'm not sure there's a lot of merit. It would give a form for one or two people to be very vocal; I'm not sure there's a lot of merit in that.

Next one is office of the ombudsman; again, this is one that Sébastien was heavily involved in, as were a few other people, not as many. Does anyone want to take responsibility? We do not have to comment on everything. Unless we believe there is something both controversial and import to comment on, then we do not need it. Cheryl, please go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Alan, and as one of the people who was deeply involved in this as well, this is one I'm going to suggest that a supporting note,

providing that you can find an author who does wish to support it from the ALAC would be useful because we are likely in public comment to get a poison pen letter and yes, you may quote me, from the herd of sheep known as the Noncommercial Stakeholders Group, specifically the NCUC, thereof. Because their current chair has a bee in her bonnet about one aspect of this.

She, for example, maintains that to allow for unbiased ombudding the Ombuds Office and ombuds persons should have no interaction at all, especially socially, and doing things while interacting at ICANN meetings. That will come out; unless there is supportive comments, I feel that such ludicrous and insane attitudes, and yes you may quote me, will prevail because there's a whole bunch of me too's.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Cheryl, was that diverse opinion, so to speak, expressed in the document as a minority opinion or something like that? Does it show up?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

I believe the minority view was to be appended. If one wishes to react to it, that would be wise.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Alright, Bastiaan and I will take responsibility for this one.

SEUN OJEDJI: This is Seun.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry, Bastiaan. I saw your comment, I thought you were talking of the ombudsman, you're looking at diversity. Seun, go ahead.

SEUN OJEDJI: Yeah, this is Seun. The particular point Cheryl addressed is actually one of the points I was commented on in regards to ombudsman. By the way, as the former chair of NCUC, because I think she's now chair of NCSG, I would like to contribute to this if nobody is taking that. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright, well I said I would take it up; Bastiaan said he'll support me, and you've just added, so the three of us will take responsibility for it.

Next item is Staff Accountability. This one is a set of suggestions of things ICANN can do to try to make sure there are fewer conflicting problems with staff and methodology to address them when there are. Both I and Cheryl were very heavily involved in this one; it would not be appropriate if we are the commenters.

Does anyone else have any interest in this one? [AUDIO BREAK]

Maureen, can I interest you in this one? Happy to help with it.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. Alan, I was just writing a little note to say that I would be happy to do that one.

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright. I don't think this one needs -- it either needs nothing or a minor note of support, I think. You have to form your own opinions. Ariel, if you could put Maureen down on this one.

Next one is Jurisdiction. We have a whole bunch of people who volunteered, some of whom probably were involved in the statement. We have four people from EURALO.

Olivier, do you sense that this going to be a, "Yes, we support it," or raising the alternative views that we need much more?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for very much for this, Alan. It's Olivier speaking. Actually, Bastiaan had volunteered on yesterday's EURALO call to actually be the main penholder, so perhaps you could ask Bastiaan what his feelings are on this one.

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright, I'm asking Bastiaan.

BASTIAAN GOSLING: Yeah, hi, this is Bastiaan speaking. Thank you for that, Olivier. As Olivier just said, this came by during the EURALO call and I have been a casual participant in this [inaudible] of work. I think it's one of the more

controversial ones and probably one of the more important ones. I think it's at least worth to consider to draft something on this.

I haven't given it any particular thought, so I don't have an opinion as such, but I'm sure there are many others -- a couple of them within EURALO but also within the ALAC, I think, will definitely have an opinion here, and anything I will draft I will be seriously scrutinized. I'm happy to give it a shot and then together with others see if we can actually make a firm statement there. But in regards to content and exactly where to go, I don't know yet.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you, Bastiaan. Then we'll put your name down on it. At this point, it's far enough out that what we need are some comments, not a draft statement, but some comments in the comment field, of where you think we should be going on this.

There's three other people from EURALO who have identified interest in it, so once you draft something you can ask them to comment on your comments and then we'll open it up to a wider group. Olivier, please go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPI-LEBLOND:

Thanks very much, Alan. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. You said three other people from EURALO, I'm not sure if Stanley is out from EURALO?

ALAN GREENBERG: No, okay; maybe not all from EURALO.

OLIVIER CREPI-LEBLOND: Two others, yeah. Just to let you know, upon the discussions that have been on the list and recent decisions or also face to face discussions on this topic, I don't think there is consensus in our community. There are various views. It's going to be an interesting one and I don't know -- this is just my personal feeling, I do not know how we're going to be able to come up with a consensus statement on this. It would be interesting for the exercise and perhaps for the minority [CROSSTALK].

ALAN GREENBERG: We do not necessarily have to have a consensus statement. We can simply say, "The ALAC is divided and the At-Large is divided," and give the range of views.

OLIVIER CREPI-LEBLOND: That's all, thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright. Last one is Operating Standards for Specific Reviews. This is a non-trivial issue. The date is relatively far out. A couple of us have very specific vested interest in this and have already contributed it to a fair extent. It's at some level an obscure area that those of you who do not have a specific interest may have no interest. Cheryl, go ahead please.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Cheryl for the record. I was going to prevail upon you on this one to -- seeing as you know I do have a great vested interest in this -- to do a reaction and comment. I'm happy to support someone if you can find a primary penholder. It is important, it is boring as anything, but particularly when we looked at what happened and took out so much bandwidth in ICANN60, as a result to the suspension of the SSR RT, this is very timely.

It had gone out for public comment just prior to ICANN60. It does have a long time because we know it's important. But I think there are a few learnings even from ICANN60 experiences that we've had that might help make that a better document. If you can find a primary penholder, because obviously, I'm compromised as such, I'm certainly happy to give them more than just moral support.

ALAN GREENBERG: May I suggest, Cheryl, that at this point we not look for a primary penholder but you, I and anyone else who has an interest, add comments into it as to what parts you strongly support, what parts you do not support, something to that effect; essentially notes. And we'll see who else wants to contribute.

Certainly, anyone else who has been part of a review -- and for those of you who don't know, specific reviews or what used to be called the affirmation of commitment reviews, there's ATRT, RSD WHOIS, SSR Security, Stability and Resiliency, and the CCT reviews, the Consumer, Confidence and whatever it is, review on new gTLDs. I think that's all; I think there are only four of them at this point.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Correct, Alan, but happy to that, but I think we should probably also once we've got a few notes, encourage wider input, not that I'm expecting to be swamped by it, but we do need opinions from more than just those who's experienced it because this is putting together a new framework proposed to go forward with, and so [CROSSTALK] ICANN community.

ALAN GREENBERG: Understand. I presume Ariel has already or will already send out a general statement, or will send; either has already or will send out a general statement, but I really want to target those of us within At-Large who have participated in past reviews. Some of them past a long time ago, to put any input in that they feel is appropriate. Staff has a list of those people; if you don't remember who they are, I can remind you. And I think we want a targeted request to them. And take that as an action item, please.

Alright, upcoming reviews, I'm not going to read it right now, we have a whole bunch of them. It would be really nice if we're starting to do our homework beforehand. We're running out of time on this call however, and I really feel we need to go ahead at this point.

But please, look at those upcoming reviews and if you can have an action item for me to send out a note to ALAC, the wider ALAC list and call people's attention to them.

ARIEL LIANG: Alan, this is Ariel. Sorry to interject, I had my hand raised.

ALAN GREENBERG: Oh sorry, I didn't notice. Go right ahead.

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you. So just another action item for the Operating Standards for ICANN's Specific Reviews, do you want me to send the public comments to the At-Large Review Working Party? Is that what you want me to do? I just want to clarify.

ALAN GREENBERG: No, have you already? If you have not already, send out the normal announcement to the At-Large list or the ALAC announce list, whatever one you normally use. In addition to that, I would like individual messages or a single message with recipients to go out for those who participated in previous specific reviews. We had several people who participated in -- Cheryl was on ATRT1, Olivier and I were on ATRT2, we don't need messages going to us, we're on this call.

We had somebody who was on the first WHOIS Review Team, plus someone else, I can't recall who it was. We have had Carlton and Kaili on the CCT Review Team, and there maybe others I've forgotten. We want targeted messages going out to those who have participated in previous, specific reviews, asking them to please review the Operating Standards in some detail and make comments.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay, noted. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPI-LEBLOND: Thank you, Alan. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. On the upcoming public comment requests, it would be good to have a timescale for these because I noticed, for example, that the Competition Consumer Trust and Consumer Choice Review Team has got two things; one being new sections to draft report and the other one being the final report. I can't imagine the two being bunched together. It would be worth noting approximately when we're going to expect these to be coming in front of us. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: Ariel, to the extent there are dates in ICANN's list of upcoming public comments, can you please add those? Those are expected dates, when they are expected.

ARIEL LIANG: This is Ariel. Actually, I noted them in the section titled, basically I noted the upcoming ones this month and the following month, so November/December 2017 for this particular section in today's call. Do you want us to put the upcoming month for each upcoming public comment request?

ALAN GREENBERG: Just put a subtitle heading for the month and then listing the ones that are expected in each month.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: Or any other way you choose to designate it. I don't much care. Bottom line is, it looks like we're going to have a busy time. Anything further on this?

Then we'll go onto the next item, this is updates from liaisons. Liaisons normally provide written reports; if there are any issues that liaisons want to bring to our attention, this is an opportunity. Maureen, please go ahead.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you Alan. If I had just one query, I just want to know what the actual process was for me to make my recommendations for working with someone within the ccNSO throughout processes [CROSSTALK]?

ALAN GREENBERG: The first part of that process is we're going to talk right after this call.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay, thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Julie, please go ahead.

JULIE HAMMER: Thanks, Alan. Just a very quick update, you will all note that at the board meeting in Abu Dhabi, the board tasked the SSAC to look into a [inaudible] solutions, and there's been quite a degree of planning done on that behind the scenes.

One of the things that we recognized was that to even do a properly planned resource bid to the board, that we really need some project management assistance within the SSAC to help us put that together before we can even start. Just thought I'd mention that a resource on a 30%-time basis has been identified; I can't give you a name at this stage because it hasn't even been announced to the SSAC, but hopefully, that will enable us to get that project kicking along. Our sort of wet finger in the air assessment is that the significant study that the board has tasked the SSAC to do will take of the order of two years as a minimum. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: Does that mean two years before we can have a new round of gTLDs?

JULIE HAMMER: Could be. I think it probably will take that long anyway.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. Yes, it probably will. The process is going to be a long one. I know there's -- hope to have a draft report out from the gTLD Subsequent Procedures Group in the middle of this year timeframe; exactly when it will come out, I'm not even going to ask Cheryl to comment on. But clearly, there's then work to be done in the final and then the implementation of the Applicant Guidebook or whatever it's called that implements that. I think we're still talking a bit of time, that's interesting.

For those who want to ask, since Maureen asked about the ccNSO liaison process, the process for the SSAC liaison specifically involves the ALAC selection committee and once that's convened, that will be one of their first tasks. Yrjo, please go ahead.

YRJO LANSIPURO:

Thank you, Alan. This is Yrjö Länsipuro for the transcript record. I just posted a short report on the ALAC/GAC interaction at the ICANN60, and of course then to the joint statement by ALAC and GAC. The discussion in Abu Dhabi we had, we also talked quite a lot about the CBAs, the Community Based Applications, and they were I think [inaudible] we could perhaps do something together on those. Especially on the definition of misuse, that's for the near future. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you, Yrjö. Two things; number one, when are you expecting Mark Carvel to have a draft report? Is on Community Applications?

YRJO LANSIPURO: He has done it already and actually that was presented at the time when he participated in our meeting.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. I didn't realize there was actually a draft at that point; maybe I missed it.

YRJO LANSIPURO: I'll find it and I'll send it to you, or post it on the list.

ALAN GREENBERG: Please, let's make sure people are looking at it and commenting on it. That passed me by in that case.

The second issues is, it was pointed out to me this morning that we never formally issued the advice to the board on the joint statement, and that will be don't shortly.

YRJO LANSIPURO: Yeah, that was actually, as you had seen, In the GAC community it was there as a form of contentious advice.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's correct, but the ALAC has not done the comparable submission to the board and that is what I said will be done shortly. It should've got done immediately; it didn't, and you can point fingers at me.

Anything else on liaisons? Cheryl, go right ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Just briefly, our next meeting for the GNSO Council isn't until the 30th of this month. Consequently, the document deadline for going into that agenda has only recently passed in the last 24 hours or so, so I don't have a full agenda to appraise you of at this meeting, which I normally would do; I would be able to go through and see if there's any highlights or holidays you need to know about.

However, I will say that on the agenda, because we've had advance notice of it, is going to be the GNSO review and reaction to the GAC communiqué out of Abu Dhabi, and I am delighted to say at this stage that unless there is something extraordinary discussed and challenged during the meeting, this is one of those times when cooperation and collaboration seems to be abound.

ALAN GREENBERG: Delighted. When is the GNSO Strategy Meeting?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That will be at the end of January. It will be held in Los Angeles, and if memory serves, it will January 28, 29, 30; something like that.

ALAN GREENBERG: And you are participating?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I am indeed.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Excellent, thank you. I think we've now heard from all liaisons, so we're not going to give anyone a second chance. And we'll go on to the next item, and that is the At-Large Review.

There is not very much to report. The MSSI was supposed to have delivered a document to the OEC, the Organizational Effectiveness Committee. I understand it has been delivered, we are not privy to it and not expecting to see it until after the OEC meeting, which is currently planned for somewhere around December 5th or 6th, pending availability of the various committee members. And so I'm expecting that we will see something, probably an action item for At-Large to fill in blanks, critique or otherwise review the document. This is the roadmap that connects the issues identified by the items review team with what we said we were going to do about them or not do about them.

That is what I'm expecting, I have absolutely no more information than I've just or that you've heard before. And I open the floor if there are any questions to which there will not be any answers.

Seeing none, hearing none, I would like to take the opportunity to welcome Bartlett to his first ALT meeting. He had another event and was somewhat late. Bartlett, just for your information, we have spent a significant amount of time looking at the current public comments and a fair number of them have been taken on at one level or another, either to draft a comment or just add comments on the Wiki of their thoughts on the issues.

To the extent you have any interest in any of them, we would very much welcome your participation, and maybe the two of us can talk sometime in the next few days and find out which ones you perhaps want to work on. We've chosen not to arbitrarily assign them all to you in your absence, for which I hope you are grateful. And Bartlett says, "Certainly," in the chat.

Alright. Next item is update on calls for membership of working groups and groups. We are in the process of reforming a number of these groups that have exoficial membership or that have members selected by various people and groups. If I could ask staff one by one to give us the status, first of all on the ALAC appointee selection committee.

This is composed of 10 members plus the chair; I act as the chair. It includes the ALT; so the other four members of the ALT are de-facto on it. We need to select one person from NARALO, one of the other ALAC members that is either Havier or John, and then there are five members selected by the RALO's; and where are we in terms of selecting the RALO members at this point?

YESIM NAZLAR:

Hi Alan, this is Yesim speaking. Can you hear me well?

ALAN GREENBERG:

We can.

YESIM NAZLAR: Okay, perfect. Thank you. With the ALAC subcommittee selection, first let me go by each RALO. For [inaudible] we are still waiting for the RALO representative to be announced. APRALO has announced their member as Liana Galstyan. EURALO has also announced as Nenad Marinkovic.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry, who was it for APRALO?

YESIM NAZLAR: For APRALO, Liana Galstyan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Liana, okay, excellent.

YESIM NAZLAR: Yes, as the RALO representative. For EURALO, Nenad Marinkovic; and we haven't heard from LACRALO and from NARALO so far. We're waiting for AFRALO, LACRALO and NARALO to announce their RALO representatives.

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright. If you can please send notes individually to the three chairs, reminding them of the deadline. We do have several selections that are lined up waiting for this group to be formed. And I will work on the ALAC member from NARALO. And I think that is it on that one. Any comments from anyone?

Nothing. Next one is the Finance and Budget Subcommittee, where are we on that one? This one has two people named by each of the RALO's. The people can be a ALAC member, but they are not required to be.

YESIM NAZLAR: We haven't heard from AFRALO yet. APRALO, Ali AlMeshal and Maureen Hilyard. From EURALO, Bastiaan Goslings and Wale Bakare. From LACRALO we have only one name, Ricardo Holmquist representing the ALAC, and we haven't heard from NARALO yet either.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Please send reminders. Again, there are times and deadlines on that one. Yeah, was that Seun?

SEUN OJEDJI: Yes, this is Seun. For the ALAC one, you will be getting a response very soon, [inaudible] on that. For the AFRALO one, I'm going to follow up with the new chair. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. I may be incorrect, but Heidi, I don't believe the FBSC has a requirement for ALAC, does it?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, my understanding is that the FBSC has one member from the ALAC and one member from the region. Those are the members. Two from

the region, one from the ALAC, one from the RALO side, and then you can also have observers or participants.

ALAN GREENBERG: You're right, I was confused. It's one ALAC member selected by the three ALAC members, is that correct?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, so Seun is saying he is the one that has been selected by AFRALO. I think that's what Seun just said. Alright --

SEUN OJEDJI: This is Seun. No, that's not what I just said. I said the [inaudible] will decide about the ALAC one and the person will be sent -- the name will go through very soon. It's [inaudible], just for the record.

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright. Again, there's a tight deadline, so if staff can send out reminders, that would be appreciated.

Subcommittee and Outreach and Engagement. There is a memo that will be coming out probably today, asking for the RALO's to identify people. We're still discussing with the outgoing chair, Dave; he had

some suggestions on a draft memo and that should be coming out relatively shortly.

Lastly, we have the WT5, the Work Track 5 -- I don't think we're calling them representatives, I don't remember what we decided to call them. I think we called them lowercase liaisons, and to what extent do we have applications from people for each of the five regions?

Olivier, I see your hand up, we'll go to you in a moment. If I can hear from staff though as to what's our current level of applications. The deadline I believe ends on the end of this week.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It has ended, 20th of November.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry, it has ended. Yesim?

YESIM NAZLAR: This is Yesim again. From AFRALO we have two applications, one is from [CROSSTALK].

ALAN GREENBERG: We don't need the names. I just want to know to what extent we have applications.

YESIM NAZLAR: Okay, so two from AFRALO, no one from APRALO; from EURALO one application, and the other saying -- Andrei Kolesnikov saying that he's not applying to be a liaison but wants to share his experience. We have no one from the LACRALO region and one from NARALO.

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright. Suggestions on what we do given that we have several regions that don't have anybody? Do we simply remind the chairs that they should stir up the bushes, or simply accept the fact that we will not have people from some regions and they don't care?

That sounds like a note the chair should be sending out, the chair of ALAC should be sending out to the chairs. Why don't we put an action item for me to send out a note? I can be a lot more pointed than staff can be. Olivier, please go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Alan. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. I just wanted to note my amusement on the Outreach and Engagement chair being Dev Anand Teelucksingh; there's actually five co-chairs for that working group. There's Dev, there's Daniel Nanghaka, there's Glenn McKnight, there's Maureen Hilyard, who is also on this call, and there's me.

There are actually five co-chairs rather than just one. I just wanted to put that for the record. For some reason, staff keeps on saying that there's just one chair, and I don't know, I checked the Wiki and it says there are five co-chairs.

ALAN GREENBERG: Then it's my fault as well as staff. Noted. Maureen, please go ahead.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Alan. Sorry, I had someone come in and I missed a bit of it. Olivier, were you talking about the Outreach and Engagement?

ALAN GREENBERG: He was talking about Outreach and Engagement, pointing out that I made reference to the outgoing chair and he pointed out that I was incorrect; there were currently five co-chairs, perhaps some of them outgoing. Noted and chastised.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, that's good. The other one was about the -- are you up to the WT5 leadership yet? No. Am I --

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, we are on WT5 liaisons. That is the person who will be named to take foremost responsibility for acting as a conduit between the Work Track and the region, which we do not have anyone named; we had no volunteers from three of our five regions, if I got the number correctly.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Right, okay. I think that when this first came up, you recommended that if we were interested and wanted to find out about it, we could actually like sort of register, which I know that several people did, including myself, and registered as a member in order to get on to it.

But we haven't followed up with the actual sort of like application, per se, to the ALAC, so that is still to be done, but I would say there's also interest, it just hasn't been registered as yet.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I thought there was a deadline that Cheryl says has already past? [CROSSTALK] Clearly at this point, we will reopen but we have to be fair to other people. Yes Cheryl, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Cheryl for the record. The call did suggest that there was an end date to the initial call for memberships in Work Track 5, which was November 20th, that has past. However, as any observer can switch to member status at anytime, I see absolutely no difficulty as one of the two co-chairs of this PDP, let alone this work track, for us to add members and indeed liaison appointments at anytime. However, it would be of a great advantage if that was to happen as soon as possible.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you, Cheryl. That however, was not the deadline I was referring to. I was talking about the deadline we gave At-Large people to identify themselves as a) people who had already become members of the work track, and b) had an interest in representing their RALO.

Can staff confirm what the deadline was on that message? If indeed there was a deadline, and I believe there was, it should be included in any of the emails. If any of the respondents included the email, it would be in that email, that should be an easy way to find it. Yesim.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Alan, this Maureen for the record. Regardless, can we make a decision now to reopen it and make it so that people can apply? Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: If we can find out when the deadline is, which may not have past already, I really would like to know what deadline we gave them. Does anyone have a copy of the message that was sent out, asking for people to act as liaisons? Maureen, your hand is up.

Anyone wants to speak, speak, you don't need my permission.

YESIM NAZLAR: Alan, this is Yesim speaking. Just to confirm, you're asking about the liaison applications, right? The deadline for the liaison applications?

ALAN GREENBERG: That is correct.

YESIM NAZLAR: It says Monday, 20th of November.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, so it has passed. We have to reopen it. Yesim, can you please forward to me, immediately after this meeting, a list of the people who have applied from each of the RALO's and I will reopen the call?

YESIM NAZLAR: Actually, I've done it already.

ALAN GREENBERG: If you've done it already, then we don't have to do it again. Thank you. Any further issues on committee refreshing? We'll be doing the refreshment of the general membership of all the other committees, membership/participation, in the implementation of the decisions we made on working groups in Abu Dhabi and we'll be working on that starting next week. Cheryl, go right ahead, please.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Alan. I wanted to raise this although now you've just said that I probably could wait until the next happens. I wanted, based on recent list traffic and I think it might have actually been Scott interaction as well, to ask that we resuscitate -- or it's not really resuscitate; it's been sitting on the back burner, it hasn't been turned off life support, the Metrics Working Group; but I wanted to propose that it would make sense from at least my very biased point of view, to have Maureen chair that now.

I'm happy to co-chair or vice-chair to support her, but it just makes perfect sense for it to be firmly in control of an ALAC vice-chair and Maureen's been with me hand and glove through everything that we've done to date on that. And it did have a lot of activity, it just went into stasis when Kim and Dan were thrown out with transition and accountability.

If you want to look towards even putting that on your ALAC agenda, I'd be firmly supporting Maureen to chair it, and then I'm as I said, happy to co-chair or vice-chair to give her a hand. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG:

That was an item that was going to be on today's agenda, we just ran out of time and there wasn't enough room to put it in. It will be something that I'll be acting on over the next couple of days.

I understand the interest that was put in, it is tightly linked to the At-Large improvements, the At-Large review and partially linked to the ATLAS. So yes, that will be something that will be revived. Exactly what form it takes, remains to be seen. Olivier, please go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you, Alan. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. Any news on the CROP review team?

ALAN GREENBERG:

I thought I put that on the agenda. It didn't get on to the agenda. I'm going to be sending out a message, which some of you had seen before because it was leaked earlier, asking for input.

I believe the ALAC needs to make a decision on whether we want a CROP review team and if so, what its mandate is. Either it will be disbanded and will not exist, or it will continued and we will not have continual battles over what it does and what it doesn't do. So that is my intent. Does that meet with your approval?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: It doesn't need my approval. You're grownup enough.

ALAN GREENBERG: No, no, my question is, does that seem like a reasonable way forward?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, It's Olivier speaking. The reason for my question was also because of the appointments pipeline, and so we're trying to appoint different people to different things in EURALO and that's why it would be helpful to know if there's any likelihood of quick appointments on that or not.

There are CROP trips going on in the meantime, so I'm not quite sure whether the CROP review team continues in the meantime and how those trips are allowed, but one has to note that I think that Dev, who was the chair of that, has stood down, so I'm not sure whether an interim solution is necessary, that's all. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: Our normal practice has been that a committee that existed last year will continue to exist until it's replaced. I'm quite happy to have that go forward. I'm just tired of wasting an enormous amount of time debating whether the CROP review team should be doing X or Y, and having different people on the review team, having completely different visions of what their responsibilities are.

SEUN OJEDEJI: This is Seun.

ALAN GREENBERG: Go ahead, Seun.

SEUN OJEDEJI: I think the point on this is that the chair is currently -- the review team has no chair. A [inaudible], and if he is, it means that the current CROP review team are the ones that will continue because there's a chair, but it doesn't look like there's a chair right now. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Does anyone feel we must do something immediately in the next six weeks? The discussion will start almost immediately, does anyone feel that we must resolve it? I would strongly suggest --

SEUN OJEDEJI: This is Seun.

ALAN GREENBERG: Let me finish, please. I would strongly suggest we do not want to name a new team and then dissolve it three weeks later. I'm happy to have on an ad-hoc basis the existing group continue in whatever form they take. Seun, go ahead.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yeah, this is Seun. For me personally, I don't have any [inaudible] particularly about whether dissolving or having a new group or something. I'm just saying that there's a group without a leader and everybody would just be wondering who is going to take responsibility for what. It should be good that we at least resolve that, if we are recommending to the group that amongst themselves they choose, they elect a new chair and then continue their work, fine.

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright, I will take it under advisement if staff can add an action item for me to review the CROP review team membership and see if it is possible to name an ad-hoc chair.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, please go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Very briefly, Cheryl for the record. CROP is one of those things that to be honest, I couldn't give a flying insert whatever you want to, close brackets, about a leader. It really not operates under a process and the leader is [inaudible]. Really mute, but is [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG: The chair of ALAC who has an action item will take that opinion into consideration, thank you. I really do not want to have a continued discussion on this call about it because we are badly out of time.

Next item is IGF, outreach summary of activities or any other input you want to provide. Olivier and Maureen are identified as the main speakers. Do either of you have anything to say? [AUDIO BREAK]

Olivier, please go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. Effectively, there are two things going on, two mainstreams that are working for preparation at IGF. The first one is preparations for the booth. At-Large has a booth; the constraints around the booth are just incredible relating to what you can bring into the compound because it's the main UN compound.

The booth itself is extremely spartan, so we're working on trying to make something that will be welcoming but short of being MacGyver, for those people that have ever followed that TV series, being able to do something out of very little, it's going to be a bit challenging. Fortunately, we've got brochures, we've got goodies and things that we will be distributing from the booth, but that's pretty much on course.

The other thing is the coordination of all of the work, the different participants at IGF. We've got quite a few people that are coming from various parts of the world. I hear that there are quite a few people coming from the Asia, Australia/Asia and Pacific Islands part of the

world as well, so a lot of At-Large structure that will be there. We're working to try and coordinate all of this to make a real big impact at IGF but also to show that our community is very much involved with what's going there.

I understand that 14 board members are going to be at the IGF, so it's also a time for us to showcase the fact that our At-Large structures are not only involved in ICANN work, but also outside.

That's pretty much all I can say for the time being, but things are moving quite well following a good course of action. So we should be ready by the time IGF takes place. That's all, thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Maureen, do you have anything to add? I do have one comment.

MAUREEN HILYARD: No, I think that we had a pretty good meeting yesterday and I think that sort of like helped us to resolve some of our issues. I would like to note that funding for a lot of the booth activities and stuff is actually coming from EURALO, which is very much appreciated. I think that, as Olivier has mentioned, I think the Outreach activities are actually going quite well. We [inaudible] to working on them, of course. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: I'd like to stay on the queue.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, please go ahead, Seun.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you, this is Seun. Just to Olivier, is there a location on the Wiki perhaps where specific activities of At-Large are posted in relation to IGF, especially if there are specific workshops that some of our At-Large participants are participating in, so that someone like myself can [inaudible] remotely? Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: I can answer on behalf of Olivier, there is a Wiki space and staff will put a thing in the Adobe Connect, which won't help you, but I suspect if you search IGF Geneva At-Large with Google, you'll find it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, this is Heidi.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: You can do that, Seun; it's also on the ALAC portal, which is the main Wiki page for the ALAC, it's just down under staff announcements.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. My only comment is, we have made significant progress in getting ICANN to accept the fact that At-Large is a significant part of the IANN contributions and participation in the global IGF. That shows up by the funding of this point too, and we hope an increased number of people not specifically associated with a given workshop and the funding for the chair as well, which we hope to continue.

That means we really have to make sure as we go forward, not only as Olivier said to show our presence there and what we're doing, but to make it clear that we're not only there as for At-Large Outreach. That we are there as part of the overall contingent of participating in the IGF and representing ICANN and not just At-Large at ICANN.

As people pick sessions to go to and speak, and for that matter the speaking in the corridor, try to make sure that you're not only wearing an At-Large hat, but also and ICANN hat. Because I think we want to convince people, and specifically the large number of board members, that we are there not just pushing our own little corner of ICANN, but participating on behalf of ICANN as a whole. Just something to think about as we're spending our time there. Maureen, please go ahead.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Alan. Maureen for the record. I just want to sort of like add too that how important it is, just following on from what you said, that everyone fills in the ICANN At-Large organized events, which is actually on the screen at the moment because there are lots of people engaged with ICANN related activities that it's really good for them to see how ICANN people are actually involved and the actually idea.

I started putting in what APRALO was involved in, but I think that each of the regions need to get their information up, even if just to show other members of the ICANN community and At-Large that we are involved and that there's a reason for us to be there. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. We've made significant improvements over previous years and I think we need to cement it in place so it continues. And I think we are complete at that point, and again, we're running very tight on time.

At-Large ICANN61, Gisella, do you have anything you want to add? We're in the process of completing the travel matrix and sending it out to people and asking for confirmation whether they'll be travelling or not. And as I think we already mentioned, or maybe not, we are in the process of sending out -- actually, it's item number 13, but we'll do it right now -- of sending out a request for applicants who want to be, either fill in the two slots that we have approved in fiscal year '18 for people involved in policy processes, but as we found out in Abu Dhabi, if we have other cancellations along the way, then it's useful to have those other people in a back pocket, even the ones who don't get picked for the two, to be able to identify good contributing travelers.

So, that process will be starting. I am assuming that, I'm going to ask, but I will assume that the selection process which was done last time by the five chairs of the RALOs plus me will continue as the practice for this time, and we are going to do the request for applicants in a slightly different way to try to make sure that we don't get a lot of people who simply give their name and we've never heard of before in some cases who simply want a travel slot. We're going to be a little more targeted and ask them for more information. Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER:

Thank you, Alan. Gisella for the transcript. No further updates from me. As Alan said, I will be sending a note out to the ALAC members and regional leaders to confirm their travel by mid-next week, so the travel dates are basically due in on the 8th of December, which sounds like a long time, another two weeks ahead, but we do need to get these additional names in as soon as possible. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you, and Julie, your microphone seems to be on and contributing a little bit of noise. If you could mute yourself or someone mute you. Thank you.

Any further comments, questions on the meeting in Puerto Rico? As far as we know the meeting in Puerto will be held in Puerto Rico. There's been no indication that that will not happen, and I think we're all planning as if it will.

SEUN OJEDEJI: This is Seun. Hello?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yeah, just to state the usual. The [inaudible] process early for visa issues, because for me, I think it's going to be US visa or something like that, so that is the really difficult part [inaudible]. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: We have a date of beginning of December to our lists and I'm assuming Constituency Travel will send out invitations soon after that.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yeah, that should work.

ALAN GREENBERG: And none of us are going to predict what the travel and visa situation will be like evolving over the next three months, certainly I would not. Any further comments, questions on ICANN61? [AUDIO BREAK]

Just for the record, the travel dates, there will be at this point an ALAC and advisors meeting on the Friday morning after the meeting completes, and people will have a travel date, either if you can leave that afternoon or evening, that's preferable, and if that's not practical then you'll have a Saturday departure. [AUDIO BREAK]

Committee Onboarding Program. Mentors and mentees. Selection process to be used. My name is there. I have no clue why my name is there because I have no expertise on this. Can either Heidi or perhaps Olivier, who I believe has been fronting for this recently, have any comments? [AUDIO BREAK]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier, do you want to take that? This is Heidi.

ALAN GREENBERG: Please go ahead, Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, thank you very much, Alan. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. So, effectively, the onboarding program has gone for another round, which means there was an open call for nominations by SOs and ACs, and strangely enough, I think two days ago, someone just added and SGs as well; Stakeholder Groups as well, because they had forgotten that the GNSO is actually having several of its stakeholder groups benefit from the onboarding program.

That has kind of raised questions as to why the RALOs aren't getting the onboarding, but that's a different story that I don't think we have time to have now. The question comes as to how long is that onboarding program for, whether it's for the whole year or whether it's just to look at the next meeting which will be the San Juan meeting.

The system as it currently stands is that it will be providing support for two people, so one will be a mentor, one will be a mentee. A second mentee will be allowed as well, but they should have their travels taken care of by other means. I note that on the outreach and engagement working group there was some confusion really, and there's some debate as to how that should be fulfilled with some people saying, "Well, we wouldn't want to use CROP for that," and others saying that they could use CROP for that. So, there's some element of confusion on that which is a bit unfortunate.

Also, some feedback as to whether this is just for one meeting or whether this is for the whole year. And again, I personally have a concern that we're repeating the same mistake as the Pilot program, because the Pilot program was also announced and seemed to be for one meeting and then people were going to three meetings in total.

So, I should leave you with this at the moment and hopefully, I'll get an answer from Ergus, but I haven't had an answer to my email three days ago, unfortunately. I can't tell you anything else. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. Olivier, I think it's worth asking the question of why do not only parts of the GNSO get it, but at the level of NCSG versus NPOC where our RALOs do not. I'm not expecting a change at this point, but I think it's a reasonable question to ask, and Heidi, perhaps you want to do that instead of Olivier, but I certainly think it should be asked.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, I'm actually following up with Ergus right now.

ALAN GREENBERG: If you look at CROP, it's being done on a RALO basis, not on the single one for ALAC.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: And the other point that was made, and it's Olivier speaking here. The other point that was made by people in our community is that just going to one ICANN meeting doesn't really help much. So that was another thing.

And the other thing is, with regard to the selection process, if we have our five RALOs, how are we going to work this one out? That's maybe the discussion we should have, a quick discussion we should have on this, because if you recall, some of the questions were, well the RALOs should be making the selection, but the we've got five RALOs, we've only got two slots. It's going to be hard.

ALAN GREENBERG: I can't scroll this document, so I don't know what the deadline is for us selecting our mentor and mentee.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, it's the 15th of December.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry, say that again?

HEIDI ULLRICH: It's the 15th December.

ALAN GREENBERG: 15th of December. How in something are we going to do that in the next three weeks? I think we need some thoughts quickly on how to do this because I have no clue how we could go about doing that.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: So, Alan? It's Olivier.

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, go ahead. And then Cheryl.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thanks, Alan. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. So, what I've done is to launch a discussion on the outreach and engagement. The secretariats and the ALAC, you will have seen on the three lists, to try and get some input from all corners as to how we can do this, and I think that Seun or Tijani, if I recall correctly; Seun came up with a potential solution where it's the selection committee, our own selection committee that will make the final selection. So the RALOs can put people forward and the final selection is made from our selection committee. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: Doing that and finishing that by December 15th, and by the way, in the past, the ALAC has always insisted, or at least some ALAC members have insisted that the selection committee not make selections, but they be ratified. Even for travelers to meetings. So, consider that as you go forward please. Cheryl, please go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Alan. Cheryl for the record. Look, I want to support the way forward of using the selection committee and leveraging off the stuff that Olivier has just outlined he started already, and I think having the ALAC [inaudible] have the ALAC suggest that the ALT is trying [inaudible] as such can ratify the selections proposed would be the smart way forward.

It may be that you have to do a call online rather than in a meeting that if you forewarn your ALAC in enough time, I think you should be able to get it done.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you Cheryl. I think the point I was making to Olivier is, we don't have a lot of time to debate the process. We need to initiate the process, so if we can finalize whatever the decision is and then get calls out as quickly as possible, that would be advisable. Heidi, please go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, this is Heidi. I've been in touch with Ergus and currently it is per meeting, so it's one meeting at a time. There will be separate calls after each meeting, [inaudible] Fiscal year 18, so you can nominate the same people, have the same people go for the 62.

On the point of the RALOs having additional people, currently, there's just not the funding available. But there's [inaudible] that perhaps the way to go would be to ask that for an additional budget request for Fiscal Year 19.

ALAN GREENBERG: Can we scroll back up in the document which has been locked again, to see how many GNSO -- does each of these groups have one mentor and one mentee? Is that it?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just going forward.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think that was a yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Going forward, yes. So keep in mind, this entire program is being rebooted and restructured.

ALAN GREENBERG: So, we have two for ccNSO, two for GAC, two for ALAC and seven or eight or 12 or something for the GNSO. Alright. We know where we stand. Olivier, please go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Alan. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. So, with regards to locking down the process, Seun, as I said, has made a good proposal here which I seem to have heard everyone supports here, so what I can do, and I'm by no means the chair of the outreach and engagement working group but having brought that question over there as the CROP rep, I can certainly then take it as a finalized position by the end of the week, let's say, and I can email the ALAC and say, "Hey, this seems to be the consensus to something that works."

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, do we have a --

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Then, it's in your hands to proceed forward with it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Do we have agreement on the ALT, five ALT members, that this is the general way to go forward? That is, we'll put out a call, RALOs will make a quick selection, it will then go to the ALAC Appointees Selection Committee to make the final recommendation to the ALAC. Can I see some ticks from the four other members? We have Bartlett, Bastiaan,

Maureen and Seun. Seun cannot give a tick but I'm assuming since it's his idea, he's supporting it. [AUDIO BREAK]

And if I don't hear a no from Bartlett, I'm assuming he's supporting it. He says yes. Alright. Then, in that case, we have a decision made by the ALT. The ALT is empowered to make such decisions and we will inform the ALAC of it and allow them to say no. Put an action item from me to inform the ALAC of this ALAC ALT decision recommendation. Olivier and Heidi, in that order.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Old hand, sorry.

ALAN GREENBERG: Heidi? Old hand. Anything else with Community Onboarding? [AUDIO BREAK]

I do have a question. The ability to name a second mentee who is not funded simply means that ICANN is volunteering to provide them with breakfast at any meeting that covers breakfast. Is that correct? Is there any other substantial difference?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: A seat.

ALAN GREENBERG: A seat where?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: When they are over there. If they make their way over there, they can actually sit in a seat.

ALAN GREENBERG: In a meeting that will likely be public.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Correct.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Which means they will be invited for breakfast if there is a breakfast?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Correct.

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright, just so I understand. But we can't name a second person for that? Just one? Sorry, I've had a long day already. Alright.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Alan, it's Olivier speaking. You raised some important questions actually here, and I really have no understanding of what that second person, unfunded person is, so when Heidi speaks to Ergus, could she also

explain what that is? Because I'm also baffled, and quite seriously baffled. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

That is a sigh for those of you who did not hear it. Okay, next item on our agenda is contact information. Currently, we identify who, for instance, ALAC members are, who the regional leaders are, but we provide no way of ICANN for anyone to contact them. I have asked staff if there is an ICANN approved way of providing email links on the web, which does not compromise them for the use of spam. Do we have an answer? [AUDIO BREAK]

Anybody?

ARIEL LIANG:

This is Ariel [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG:

I think so.

ARIEL LIANG:

Your request just came an hour ago and I was tackling other things, so I haven't sent that email yet, but if you can depending on how urgent you need that answer, I can --

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay.

SEUN OJEDEJI: This is Seun.

ALAN GREENBERG: My assumption is that there is some process, whether it involves capture or something else, by which someone can get an email address for people. If there is such a mechanism, and there's an if, is it reasonable that we do so, and I will verify with the ALAC, but I'm asking the ALT right now; is it reasonable that we provide contact information for those people who have been identified as the representatives At-Large so people in At-Large can actually contact you should they wish to? I'm opening the queue. Seun, did you wish to speak on that?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes. Thank you. This is Seun for the record. So I think for now, why also, I'll be the [inaudible], I will say that for now, if anyone wants to contact can actually go to the SOI because I think each of the profiles on [inaudible] website actually link to the individual SOIs; the individual SOIs have contact information. Mine does. But people don't really want to go that far, so I [inaudible] this position also an extra addition, that would be good for us. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. If your SOI has contact information in it, it may be unique. Because most of them do not. [AUDIO BREAK]

And looking at your SOI, I do not see contact information there.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Hello, this is Seun.

ALAN GREENBERG: You have a link [CROSSTALK] address.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Hello? Yeah. That is the contact information I meant. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, but you can only link to someone -- you can only send a message on LinkedIn to someone if you're a premium member or you're already linked to them. So, that doesn't really help someone out of the blue.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Fair enough.

ALAN GREENBERG: Do we have any objections to putting this before the ALAC of asking for their agreement, assuming we have an approved method of doing it? I hear no disagreement. I will also be proposing that we do this for ALSs. We currently say, "Look for an ALS in your region so you can join them," but we provide no way of contacting the ALS, other than doing a Google search and hoping you find something that might be of use.

So, I think it is reasonable going forward and not something we'll implement tomorrow necessarily, but reasonable going forward that we have contact points for any ALS that we suggest people want to join.

Alright. The December ALAC call is the next call. The call is currently scheduled for the 19th of December. That is in the middle of the IGF where we will have a significant number of ALAC members who are going to be present. Now, the current schedule is for, what time is it? Does anyone recall or...? {AUDIO BREAK}

No one recalls. I see it. It is currently scheduled for 4am UTC. That would be, I'm guessing, in Geneva, 5am. Certainly doesn't conflict with any meetings, but given people are on a rather hectic schedule, I'm not sure we want to really hold a meeting at 5am at that point. If we schedule the meeting earlier, that means there's only going to be two weeks between that and the meeting next week.

So, the question is, does this group believe that we should just cancel the December meeting or try to reschedule sometime or perhaps schedule it early in January, which I don't know when the meeting would normally be in January, the 23rd I'm guessing. So, we could have a meeting on the 2nd. The 2nd is not going to be a well-attended meeting. What's the feeling? Just cancel? Or if not, when do we schedule? Or do we hold the meeting during the IGF week? I'm asking for input.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

This is Seun.

ALAN GREENSBURG: Seun, please go ahead.

SEUN OJEDEJI: I'm for canceling [inaudible] unless there's an extra reason why we should, and you can call for it. Thanks.

ALAN GREENSBURG: I don't think there's anything that we need a meeting for. There are things we can discuss and I would like to see. After we had some interesting discussion on the issue of registration renewals for disaster areas, we've demonstrated that people actually can discuss substantive issues on mailing lists, and I'd like to encourage that, and if we have any issues that really need input, perhaps we should try to put them out that way. So I'm happy to cancel. Is there anyone who believes we should maintain the meeting in December?

Hearing nothing, I think we've just made a decision to not schedule that meeting. That's the chair's decision, by the way, not the ALT. Just to make it clear that the ALT doesn't make decisions.

Next item is ICANN61 travelers, we already talked about that.

Updates on the NomCom ALAC requirements and interaction with NomCom delegates. I put out a message a while ago that I've gotten no input back on on revising the documents that the NomCom distributes looking for ALT members. I strongly believe that we need to revise those and somehow convey more in them of what we expect of ALAC

members so that when the NomCom identifies people for the ALAC, we have a better probability of them doing a good job.

Now, to be quite honest, the NomCom has been doing better in the last couple of years than they have in the past. But I still think the information is sufficiently vague, that we may want to consider revising it and making it a lot clearer what we expect of ALAC members. We really need experienced ALAC members to help work on that because those are the ones who have gone through a number of years and at this point, I'm going to specifically target a few people who have been around for a good number of years to comment on the documents. Does anyone have any further input on that process? [AUDIO BREAK]

No one? So I will go ahead with that. Second part is traditionally, we have named NomCom delegates and although in recent years the NomCom has been distributing monthly reports which our delegates generally pass on, there has been very very little connection and connectivity and interaction with the NomCom delegates.

I believe that NomCom delegates should be more tightly coupled to the ALAC and be somewhat knowledgeable of the issues because again, when they are discussing potential candidates, be it for the ALAC or for the board, I think understanding more about what the ALAC and At-Large are concerned about puts them in a much stronger position to do that.

Other groups often name their most experienced people to the NomCom and we don't generally do that. So, what I'm looking for is input on whether it would be advisable to try to get better participation

in our various meetings and in other discussions between the NomCom delegates and the ALAC and At-large. In other words, invite them to these meetings, for instance, the ALAC meetings. Olivier, please go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Alan. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. I'll be ready to speak but under the condition of being in camera, so I'm happy to say a few words at the end of this discussion, before we close.

ALAN GREENBERG: I understand. I know your discussion. I didn't think this was an in-camera discussion but to the extent you would prefer to be, then that's fine.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Alan. Maureen for the record. I just wanted to make [inaudible] that APRALO and NomCom delegate is part of the leadership team and therefore contributes to our APRALO meetings. I think that, for example, the delegates basically, I'll explain some of the work that's involved in the NomCom, which is really good for when we're actually predicted our next [inaudible] that everyone's got a general idea of what is actually involved on NomCom, and I think it's one of the reasons why we decided to introduce it.

So, there's nothing confidential, but it does actually sort of like counts out the work load and the sort of like activities that the NomCom person heads while they're on the NomCom. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: So, you are supporting this, I take it? Anyone else have any further comments? In that case --

SEUN OJEDEJI: This is Seun.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead, Seun.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yeah, just the point of qualification from Maureen [inaudible]. You say the APRALO NomCom delegate is part of the ALT team, as the leadership team?

ALAN GREENBERG: What she said is it's considered part of the APRALO leadership team, and is included in their deliberation.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Ah, okay. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm presuming I got that right, Maureen. Alright.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, you did. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. If there's no further comments, I'd like to ask staff to move this meeting into in-camera. I do not see anybody on the Adobe Connect who is not part of the ALAC, ALT or Advisors. I'm presuming there is no one on the phone bridge who is not a part of that group. If staff can confirm, can stop the recording, and we'll go into a --

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Okay, it has been resumed.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. The ALT met in-camera session to talk about the process of NomCom delegate selection, and whether the ALAC should in fact look at revising its process on how it selects delegates and how it interacts with delegates once they are appointed. The conclusion was we should look at this process and I will be convening a small group to make an initial proposal for discussion within the ALAC and larger At-Large community.

And with that, I'll go to any other business. Is there anyone who has any further and other business for this meeting? [AUDIO BREAK]

Hearing nothing, seeing nothing, I will adjourn this meeting. Thank you all for your participation. Bye-bye.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Hi, everyone. This meeting is now adjourned. Thank you all. Please disconnect.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. Bye-bye.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]