UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:	Adigo operator Ashley joined.
YESIM NAZLAR:	Hi, [Marsha]. This is Yesim. Can you hear me?
[MARSHA]:	l hear you well. Thank you.
YESIM NAZLAR:	Thank you, thanks so much.
CLAUDIA RUIZ:	Hi, [Marsha] this is Claudia. Can you hear me?
[MARSHA]:	I hear you as well.
CLAUDIA RUIZ:	Thank you.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:	Hi, Marsha [inaudible]. Sorry, doing a quick audio check.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

EN

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:	Yes, it sounds better now. Thank you. [inaudible] computer as well. I was going to join on the computer, but it's managing the dinner for the little one at the same time as doing the call, so I think it's far better if I've got my earpieces in.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:	Yes.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:	Thank you very much.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:	Alright, thank you.
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	Hello, everyone.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:	Welcome, Olivier. How are you doing?
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	I am doing okay. It's funny, it says please enter your name, and then it cuts off and then you don't quite know whether you need to say your name and press the hash key or not.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:	Yes, [it is used.] Well, I'm a naughty one, because I'm probably one of the very few UK numbers. Adigo knows my number off the heart, so I don't tend to always record my name.
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	But it doesn't actually allow for some reason. Sometimes it starts, it says, "Please say your" And then it cuts you and it puts you straight in the call before you even said your name.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE:	That is strange indeed.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:	Or some people are talking and it records, so they forget to press the hash key.
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	And then we hear it, and when they fall off the call, we hear it when they left as well, the whole talk again. It just happened with Tijani [inaudible] time.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:	Yes. Welcome, Danko. How are you doing? And Yrjö.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE:	[Can you hear me?] Hello, can you hear me?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	Yes, we can hear you, but very loud.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:	Very loud, [inaudible] in a very confined space.
ANDREI KOLESNIKOV:	Everybody sounds like a ham radio.
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	Andrei, we can hear you. You sound a bit distant now.
ANDREI KOLESNIKOV:	Yes, I said the whole meeting sounds like a ham radio. Like [inaudible]
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	It's a problem on your side. If you want, I can make it worse. I can sound like this. So, this is really a little worse, it's like the car radio when you got taxis, that all taxis used to speak. "Car 01, going to have two."
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:	That sounds very good.
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	No. Yes, so Andrei, you might have a problem with your line if it sounds like ham radio.

SILVIA VIVANCO:	Hello, everyone.
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	Hello, Silvia. Welcome.
SILVIA VIVANCO:	Hello. Thank you so much, Olivier.
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	That makes a call where we have more staff than participants at the moment. It's scary. What's going on?
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:	And we have one minute to go.
SILVIA VIVANCO:	[inaudible] EURALO.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:	Yes. I'm going to send a quick reminder to the list.
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	We'll probably have to wait a little bit, wait a few minutes. Maybe it's the fact that this could be a 90-minute call that got people really scared.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:	Probably.
SILVIA VIVANCO:	Yes. Maybe it's dinner time in Europe, they are finishing dinner.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:	It's dinner time. I think that is also maybe a problem.
SILVIA VIVANCO:	Yes.
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	It's not changed, it's always been dinner time. It's always been this time.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:	Olivier, just to let you know, the [inaudible] are complete. We have Wolf on the call. Welcome, Wolf. And Oksana [sent an] apology. So we'll update the participants list.
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	Okay, excellent. And so you're saying that Annette is on the call as well then, is she? Because I did hear a dial out Annette.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:	Sorry about that, Olivier, I'm just checking the information for you. Yes, we do have Annette's name down. Let me just check with the operator. Thank you.
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	We have to make sure that all people who are in the dial-out list are dialed out to. For anyone joining us right now, it's one minute past the top of the hour. We'll wait for a few more minutes for more people to gather.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:	Sorry, Olivier, we're just dialing out to Annette now. Thank you.
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	Thanks. Now I see a few more people joining in, so it's good to wait a couple of minutes. Welcome, everyone.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:	Welcome to Fotjon, Christopher, Bastiaan. They've just joined us. And as Olivier said, we will be starting the call shortly, we're just waiting for a few more people to join, and we are dialing out to Annette. Thank you.
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	Did you say we're waiting for 15 more people to join?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:	No, that was a few more people.
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	A few more. Okay. I was like, "Goodness, where are they?" Alright. It's three minutes past the top of the hour. [inaudible]
ANNETTE MÜHLBERG:	Annette Mühlberg joined.
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	Super, Annette. Welcome.
ANNETTE MÜHLBERG:	Hi. Excuse me, I was not told how to mute.
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	It's star, I don't know.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:	Sorry, Annette, it's star six to mute and star seven to unmute.
ANNETTE MÜHLBERG:	Great. Thank you so much.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	Excellent. Okay. Ladies and gentlemen, I see more people joining in, but this call is quite packed with a lot of things that we need to do today, and I hope we won't be taking the full length of time. But let's get going, please. Let's start the call and start the recording.
CLAUDIA RUIZ:	Yes, we will now start the official recording and interpretation of this call. Good morning, good afternoon and good evening. Welcome to the EURALO monthly teleconference on Tuesday the 21 st of November at 19:00 UTC.
	On the call today we have Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Wale Bakare, Annette Mühlberg, Danko Jevtovic –
GISELLA GRUBER:	Sorry, we seem to have lost Claudia. I'll take over. We have Danko Javtovic, we have Yrjö ansipuro, Andrei Kolesnikov, Fotjon Kosta, Christopher Wilkinson, Wolf Ludwig, Eric Schweighofer, Matthias Hudobnik.
	Apologies noted from Matthieu Camus, Sandra Hoferichter, and Oksana Prykhodko.
	From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Yesim Nazlar, Claudia Ruiz, and myself, Gisella Gruber.
	Claudia Ruiz will be on call management this evening.

And if I could just remind everyone to please state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. And apologies, we seem to have forgotten Bastiaan Goslings off the participants list. Thank you and apologies. Over to you, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Gisella. Have we missed anybody else by any chance? Anybody who's just come in on the call just now as we were conducting the roll call?

Okay, well, welcome, everybody. There seem to be a lot of people on today's call. It's marked as a 90-minute call, and I thought we'd put it at 90 minutes so we're not too pressed for time, but at the same time, it doesn't mean that – we might take less than 90 minutes altogether if we manage to go through our agenda fast enough.

So this is the November call. I think it's the first call after our Abu Dhabi meeting, and so today, we're going to be looking at all of the policy development going on. There are a lot of EURALO appointments taking place at present, so we're going to look at that as well, and we're going to have a discussion, I think, mostly on the appointment of the new EURALO Board and the discussion which you might have seen on the mailing list about providing some kind of details of what the Board members should be doing, so responsibilities for various Board members.

Then we'll look at the monthly reports that have been done for 2016 and 2017 just to point you to them. We'll have a quick pointer also to the EURALO RIPE MoU signing, and then another pointer – lots of pointers today – on the hot topics for EURALO and the strategy for EURALO. All these documents are being consolidated and finalized.

Then, point number nine, we'll have preparations for the global IGF. Yes, it's taking place in Geneva. It's just around the corner for most of us, so I think that quite a few of us will be traveling to Geneva. And there are quite a few activities taking place over there.

And then finally, we'll look at the additional budget requests. It's the new fiscal year '19 cycle that has just started, and we might be interested in providing some – I never use that term – the ABR requests, the additional budget requests. That's what they are. And we'll look at fiscal year '16 and '17. That's the current agenda.

Are there any amendments to the agenda, or any additions to the agenda? If anybody wishes to do so, please put your hand up now or let us know right now. Christopher Wilkinson. You probably are muted at the moment, Christopher.

CHRISTOPHER WILKINSON: Thank you, Olivier, and good evening, everybody. But I've just put the point into the chat of we need to spend a couple of minutes sometime during the meeting on the geographical names. First of all, I need to bring you up to date about the measures to date, and some other developments. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks for this, Christopher. I was looking at our agenda, and looking at the current agenda, I can't see anywhere where this can slot

in, apart from Any Other Business. So, we'll add it, we'll append it to the agenda, all of it as Any Other Business.

CHRISTOPHER WILKINSON: How about hot topics?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: No, the hot topic is a document. It's not the actual discussion, it's just an announcement about the document. Okay, right, I don't see anyone else putting their hand up, so we'll append these to the agenda so that it's all nice and clean, and we'll move on then quickly to Agenda Item #2, and those are the action items from our last call before the ICANN meeting in Abu Dhabi, and all the action items are complete with the finalization of the EURALO strategy document and the hot topics document, the presentation from Wale that we had during the last call, and also the wiki page about the RIPE MoU. We'll be touching on all of that on this call today. Any comments on the action items?

> Christopher Wilkinson, is that a new hand? No? Okay, thanks. Let's then move on. Let's go to the new EURALO Secretary, and also to thank the outgoing EURALO Secretary. As you know, Wolf Ludwig has hung his glove after so many years running this whole region, first as Chair of EURALO and then as EURALO Secretary. And replacing him as EURALO Secretary, we now have Wale Bakare, a very new person in the At-Large community, but not that new in a way because he has been working and has been a Secretary of the EURALO Individuals Association. So he has been around for at least a year, and followed through with everything.

EN

I thought I'd give a little bit of time for both of these people who are on the call today, which is really great. And first, I wanted to give the floor a little bit to Wolf to reflect on his so many years having managed to keep this region together and brought it to what it is today from a time when things were very different. Sorry to put you on the spot, Wolf, but I wonder if you could just share a few wise words with us, please.

WOLF LUDWIG:Well, thanks, Olivier, for giving me the floor. I'm not really in a situation
to make a lot of words. I'll just perhaps say that I tried my best to bring
EURALO in place after its inception 10 years ago, and to keep it going as
much as possible. I see a lot of shortcomings, etc., [over the years] but
it's really difficult to keep such mostly virtual network going.

I was not very successful in increasing the number of members over the years. I tried my best during outreach activities, but due to the fact that we meanwhile had to decertify I think six former ALSes over the years, that just compensated more or less the new incoming ALSes over the last years. And it's a volunteer commitment, and I only can say I tried my best, and this could have been done much better. And I hope that it will be done better and increase over the next years. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Wolf. And I think you're being a bit hard on yourself in saying it could have been done much better. It could have also been done much worse, should I say. If I can just recall a couple of things which need to be especially mentioned, first the fact that you have managed to run the region through quite a few changes in the ICANN structure over all those years, and there's been quite some stability, especially when you compare it to some of the challenges that some of the other RALOs had to go through at various points of those years that you were involved.

But secondly also, the involvement of EURALO in EuroDIG is something that no other RALOs have, this formal relationship and direct involvement in the regional Internet Governance Forum – and we're not just talking of a national, but a region Internet Governance Forum is something which none of the other RALOs have, and which I think most of the other RALOs are trying to pursue now in their own way, seeing all the challenges that this actually brings in.

So I really wanted to thank you for all the work that you've done on this, and for passing on a RALO which, yes, might have a few dead ducks, but you've taken the courageous steps of taking out the dead ducks, and we might still have a few At-Large Structures that are not as active as we wish that they would be, but we've got quite a few new that are coming up, we've got the individual members also thanks to all your groundwork for this, so I'm really looking forward to the future of this.

And so Wolf, I wanted to sort of ask for a round of applause by acclimation. I don't know how you do that on the call, but really, thank you on behalf of EURALO for all the work that you've done. It's been really great. And I have also mentioned that during the signing ceremony with RIPE as you were a key constituent of putting this together, and of laying the groundwork for that. So well done. And I can see tons of hands now on the Adobe Connect, and I should really [inaudible] my hands as well I guess in a [inaudible] way. So thanks, Wolf, for that. And I do hope that you're going to continue being involved, because as you said, there's still a lot to do, and so it's not a case of like, "Well, I've done my job, I'm off." I'm really hoping that you're going to continue being as involved as you were. So that's one of the things.

Now, the other thing is that we've got a new Secretary who's here now as well, and we have had some calls already between Wolf, Wale Bakare and I, and staff as well. But Wale has also now gone to the – well, he attended the Abu Dhabi meeting. So Wale, I just wanted to give you a few minutes for you to introduce yourself and to lay out the groundwork for where we're going to go. Wale Bakare.

WALE BAKARE: Alright. Thank you so much, Olivier. Can you hear me?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Very well.

WALE BAKARE: Alright. Thank you so much. First and foremost, I would like to say a very big thank you to Wolf, because one thing I understand is that he took over a very big task within the EU and singlehandedly, he has really made sure that he steered the leadership of EURALO to this stage. And for that reason, I must say a very big thank you to him, and because the challenge within the European At-Large Structure I think is bigger than any other RALO's, if I have to say that. And to that end, I must say he has done really well, and despite that he's just stepping aside, he's not going anywhere. Because I will continue to knock his door for help, because he left a big role for me to take over, and because [as I said] all that I will continue to knock on Wolf not only [inaudible] the EURALO, but him especially, we need [inaudible].

At that junction, I've drafted a kind of EURALO Secretariat responsibilities, and this list has been sent across to him, across to Wolf and the Chair and the At-Large [inaudible] in the past few weeks before we traveled to Abu Dhabi. This is just to sensitize myself and ensure that I'll be able to integrate myself properly with the task that Wolf has been doing for the past many years, and also to help me to really channel my energy into the right task so that I'll be able to undertake the RALO Secretariat the way it should be.

Taking that forward, I will be going through the [inaudible] been a member of the Individual Members Association, because it's really banking on the individual users as well for me to be able to take up this task going forward. Then one of the tasks that we are looking at with the Individual Users Association is that we want to see how can this EURALO use the At-Large Structure for all the ALSes we have in Europe, especially those Internet end users that have not gotten [inaudible] under the EURALO. So we want to make sure not just only that we want to help them to join our association only, but want them to be actively involved, want them to be engaged, to put in active participation in EURALO. So that is one thing that we at individual users are doing.

So I'm using that experience, I'm bringing that experience in kind of [inaudible] a role that I'm taking up now, that I'll be using to make sure all the RALO Secretariat activities are fully done and done effectively so that we will see the effects as soon as we want to do it. That is just one thing that I want to bring in. Then we have other activities that we, a RALO, the Individual User Association as well that are actively part [inaudible]. But one of which is that we have come up with our own agenda as well.

One of the agenda is that we are coming up with a paper on GDPR, probably next few months. So I'll be part of the agenda because we [are a little bit] on that already, so that is one of the things that we want to bring in so that all the ALSes will be involved in what we are doing at EURALO as Secretariat of EURALO. So I'll bring this together, I'll make sure that all [inaudible] we are lacking in the European region is brought forward so that we'd be actively part of the ICANN At-Large Structure in general.

So on that note, I'll have to thank Wolf again that his help and his experience will still be needed. I will continue to knock on his door, and I will continue to ask for help, and I'll continue to seek his assistance in taking the EURALO Secretariat tasks forward. Thank you so much. That's my summation.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Wale. And that concludes our call. No, it doesn't conclude our call. It starts our call, but that's really great to see the spirit of collaboration. And as I said, I'm sure Wolf is going to be around,

and you're going to be able to call upon him, and you can certainly call upon me and many other members of our community if you have any questions on any of the topics that we deal with here.

Now, talking about the topics, let's go over to the policy and consultations. And on there, policy consultations, this is the public consultations that ICANN launches every month. Actually, every week. Public comments and so on. One of the key component parts of what ICANN At-Large does and what EURALO contributes to. At the moment in this month, there haven't been any recent [inaudible]... Okay. Sorry about this, I'm not sure where that came from.

There haven't been any statements approved by the ALAC. Currently, no statements appear to be in the process of being drafted, so just swiftly, there is one public comment request which the ALAC has decided not to submit statements, and that's to do with the Cyrillic script root zone label generation rules. I believe some of our At-Large structures from Eastern Europe have taken part in the work of this group, and I guess that sometimes, the ALAC doesn't submit any comments for the simple reason that everything has been done very well, and just writing a comment by way of just saying, "Hey, well done, this is great," sometimes that just complicates matters and there's a lot of work just for that. So this hasn't been commented on.

Now, with the new public comments to which the ALAC needs to make a decision, worryingly so, some of them are very close by. So the first is the draft post-transition IANA now called Public Technical Identifiers – PTI – and IANA Fiscal Year '19 Operating Plan and Budget. That's one of the topics that is going to be recurring every year. We're going back into the budget process, and the whole IANA processes which is basically the updating of the root of the Internet, all of these plans and budgets need to be done way before the overall ICANN plan and budget is built. So this is why we're working on it so early, and as I understand, there hasn't really been very much difference from last year.

The ICANN reserve fund is a big topic at the moment. The public comment on rationale and the target level is currently taking place. There is a working group that is discussing – no, sorry, I think the Board is leading something, a whole process about the reserve fund, and we might be submitting a statement on this. We as in the ALAC might be submitting a statement on this.

The Internationalized Domain Name Implementation Guidelines, a cycling public comments going on. This has to do a lot with universal acceptability of internationalized domain names. These are the domain names that are using non-Latin character sets. There's been a very mixed uptake of these across the world. There are so many different scripts now being offered, but the acceptance is pretty low in some places because the apps, the software or the browsers that people use on their mobile phones, on their laptops, on their tablets, doesn't accept those, doesn't recognize these as domain names. So there are some things, some implementation guidelines that are trying to be put forward for this.

The Enhancing Accountability Recommendations for Diversity, that's one of the subworkgroups of the accountability cross-community working group. This one is all about diversity, very interesting report that's now been put together, and we might have some people on this call who might wish to say a few words on this. Recommendations to improve ICANN's office of the Ombudsman. Again, another part of the Enhancing Accountability Cross-Community Working Group. The Ombudsman was one of the big topics of one of the Work Streams, and I believe that it was Sébastien Bachollet who was leading the work on this.

Then we have recommendations to improve ICANN's staff accountability, another report coming from the Enhancing Accountability Cross-Community Working Group.

And then there was also a recommendation on ICANN jurisdiction. A big topic out of the ICANN Accountability Working Group, jurisdiction is still an open topic, I think, judging from the discussions that we saw taking place in the face-to-face meeting in Abu Dhabi.

And finally, the operating standards for ICANN specific reviews. As you might know – maybe you don't – ICANN is subjected to these reviews – not just ICANN, but every single component part of ICANN is subjected to reviews undertaken by an external consultant, and then working with the community – and sometimes against the community in some of those reviews to try and enhance the overall functionality and functioning of that part of ICANN. There have been a few problems, a few hiccups in recent reviews, so operating standards for ICANN-specific reviews is a document that sets specific guidelines that would be helpful for future review selections and procedures.

Quite a few public comments which the ALAC needs to make decisions on, but let's open the floor for any further information about any of these. And just reminding you all that if you wish to pick the pen on this and therefore be the main penholder or even just help drafting a response, then please step forward. Now is the time to do so, not after the comment period has closed. Let's turn to Sébastien Bachollet. Sébastien, you have the floor.

And it looks as though Sébastien is speaking but the system is not good enough for us to hear him. No one is able to hear Sébastien. I can hear certainly the microphone moving, showing that there is a voice there, but the connection probably isn't good enough.

Gisella, may I turn to you and ask whether you could see with Sébastien if he could be connected by dial-out or something? I'm not quite sure. I don't see anyone else hearing him.

GISELLA GRUBER: Olivier, we're looking into it now. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Alright. Thanks very much. There is a question here in the chat from Tatiana Tropina asking, "Who is drafting the jurisdiction comment at ALAC?"

> At present, I cannot see anyone allocated to this, unless somebody has been allocated after this was updated. But the workspace with the recommendations on ICANN jurisdiction at the moment has a status to be decided. So if you wish to step up, step forward and draft a statement, then please do so now. Now is your chance.

Now, another question from Christopher Wilkinson, "What happened after the ALAC position was adopted?" And Christopher Wilkinson was looking at the WHOIS conflicts with privacy process and next steps.

On that, I do not know, Christopher, what the follow-up was on that. Would you like us to perhaps – we can have an action item and try and find out from the ALAC the follow-up to the statement that was drafted by the ALAC on this. In the meantime, is Sébastien online?

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Can I try again?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Now we can hear Christopher Wilkinson. Oh, is that Christopher or is that Sébastien?

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: This is Sébastien speaking.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Oh, now we can hear you, Sébastien. Welcome. Sorry about this, you sounded like Christopher for a second. Go ahead.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: That's a compliment. Thank you very much. Yes, one thing, I'm sorry to be late on the call. I'm hoping that I will not be repeating what you already said, but it seems that I joined when you talked about the public comments. I would like to say a few things. The first one is that I [can make] a draft about the [reserve fund] and if you have time to have a look and make your comments to my proposal, it'll be great, because we have just nine days to go before any decision, and that could be good.

And for all the ones dealing with the CCWG on ICANN accountability, I think it's very important that ALAC made a statement on each of them. and I know that you pushed Tatiana to write something about jurisdiction, but as she's one who lead the group to have this – who work on this subgroup, maybe it's better if we have new voices, and it's why also I would like very much if somebody else write something about the Ombudsman, as you have rightly said that I was rapporteur on this one. And I really think that the different ones are really important and will be great to have comments from EURALO and from ALAC. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Sébastien. So yes, we have quite a few of these. So just as a reminder to everyone, the statement which Sébastien has proposed, the first draft is the ICANN reserve fund, public comment on rationale and target level. If you click on this on the agenda, you'll reach a wiki page. You have to log into that wiki page, supplying your details. If you don't have a login, by the way, please ask staff. Staff.atlarge@icann.org. Ask them for an account on the wiki. Once you're logged in, you can comment at the bottom of the page by clicking on the comment box, and you can put your comment as soon as possible, really. It's the same for all of these public comments and public consultations.

Now, I take your point when it comes down to the jurisdiction topic, and so if anybody else would like to be the main penholder, that would be helpful. Tatiana, nothing personal at all, it's great that you would pick up the pen. Perhaps you can help someone else when they pick up the pen in establishing, putting together a good comment on this. Of course, the other parts of ICANN. We're not the only part of At-Large. The other parts of At-Large would mostly hopefully have to also draft something or work with us on this.

So I can see a lot of things saying here. Bastiaan Goslings says, "Ready to work on the jurisdiction." So perhaps, Bastiaan, if you wish to be a penholder on that. I see a lot of things being typed, not many people putting their hands up. It sounds like you're all very shy tonight. I'll let the discussions go on on the chat and ask for staff to please pick up the action items from the chat as to who is volunteering for what. Bastiaan Goslings, you have the floor.

BASTIAAN GOSLINGS: Thank you, Olivier. First of all, my apologies. I'm an ALAC member, but I'm not really sure what the status is of ALAC commenting on the jurisdiction work specifically. So I will raise that tomorrow during the leadership team call. But combined with that, I would not mind, thinking of it now, to hold the pen, or at least hopefully to work with others. Erich, I think he volunteered as well, right? So maybe we can start

	something within EURALO to get this going. So yes, I think I can commit to holding a pen. Thank you.
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	Alright, thanks for this, Bastiaan. The next is Wale Bakare. Have we lost Wale?
WALE BAKARE:	Hello, can you hear me?
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	Yes, now we can hear you. Go ahead. I assumed you had a technical problem.
WALE BAKARE:	Alright. No problem. No worries. Sorry about that. Yes, regarding the discussion about the reserve fund, my suggestion is this: if we have to start a discussion on this topic, we need to have a kind of understanding about the auction proceeds discussions that have been ongoing for some weeks. So I think we need to understand, have a good understanding of what [inaudible] the auction proceed parts we need to use, I mean to push up the [reserve fund] to the level that is required. And yes, I understand Sébastien said not this time, but that is where the discussion is, is heading perhaps anyway, but we just start to – that is just my own opinion about it really, because I've been active on the auction proceeds and I understand that the part of the fund should be used to push the [reserve fund] or not, but that has not been the

conclusion [inaudible]. The debate has not even reached that stage yet, and I think we need to look at this and link the two topics together. That is just my assumption. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Wale. Next is Sébastien Bachollet.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Olivier. And thank you, Wale, for your comment. That really – there is no link today. What is in the discussion today is to decide what will be the level of reserve fund, and what it could be used for. It's not how we will have the level of reserve fund we will decide. That will be another discussion, later stage discussion. Yes, I know, as I am member of the auction proceeds [inaudible] there is a discussion right now about if we can use part of these auction proceeds to put money back to the reserve fund. But there is no link.

> If we decide to have 10 years of operation expense in the reserve fund, we will have to find a way to put this money there. It could come from auction proceeds, but hopefully will come from other sources. And it's why I say it will be at a later stage. At the moment, what we need to decide, we agree with the conclusion of staff and the Board with the level of reserve funds they are asking for or looking for, and do we agree with what they want the reserve fund used for? And then in parallel, we can have this discussion on auction proceeds if we can have part of that going to the reserve fund. Thank you.

EN

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	Thank you for this, Sébastien. I note there are a lot of things in the chat
	at the moment. The names – well, Jean-Jacques Subrenat was asking for
	the – provide on the screen the link to the topic that I just mentioned. I
	don't remember what topic it was. Must have been the topic that
	Sébastien has been speaking about, perhaps the overall ICANN reserve
	fund. You can all click on those links.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: [Olivier, I've put the link.]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: You've put the link up?

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yes, I've put the link on the chat.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Perfect. Thank you. By the way, the agenda page – so when you look at the actual Adobe Connect, for those people who are not aware, there are links to each one of these points. You can actually click on it. You press on it, and unless there's something wrong in your browser – and there is a problem in some browsers – theoretically, it should actually open a brand-new page with the link on there, but I know that it doesn't work on some mobile devices.

Anyway, I've noticed also that Erich Schweighofer said he was going to join something. Jurisdiction consultation, okay. Excellent, so let's also

add that we'll have Sébastien, Erich, and quite a few other people. And I think we need to move on, because time is ticking and it's been nearly 45 minutes since the start of this call. But please, after this call, do review those public consultations and step forward if you wish to hold the pen.

There was a question – well, Bastiaan said, "I don't know what the ALAC is doing on this." You know, this is a bottom-up organization, so really, it's for the At-Large Structures, for the members, individual members to decide what they wish At-Large to do, and to say, "Look, I'm ready to hold the pen, I'm going to put something down on paper, and then if the ALAC agrees with it afterwards, then great, they can carry it through." But the whole thing is not done by the ALAC Chair deciding, "We're going to do this, we're going to do that." It's the other way around in this community. Just a quick reminder.

Alright, let's get moving. Let's move to the next agenda item, and that's the EURALO appointments. Now, actually, looking at the end of our agenda, I also need to add another AoB that perhaps we should do now quickly before we go into the EURALO appointments, and that's to do with the latest application for an At-Large Structure that we've received from the Internet Society Norway chapter. I have sent the detailed application out quite a while ago. The due diligence has come in. It was all pretty positive. I did ask if anybody wanted to have a copy of the due diligence documents, whether they could e-mail me or e-mail staff, and we would forward this over.

There is an issue with sending due diligence documents publicly on the mailing list, because it now is a bit sensitive. Well, even more so now

EN

than ever. It's more sensitive because it does contain some personal information about various members of the organization, etc. So especially in our region, we have decided that it's probably better not to send it out, and there is a working group at the moment that's working to try and find a solution to this scenario on how to be able to share those documents in a way that it will not be indexed on the publicly accessible search engine, etc., while at the same time providing our community with the full details of an application so that we can make a decision on whether we wish to accept or not accept, or perhaps have more information about an application.

When it comes down to the Internet Society Norway, I haven't seen anybody actually push back against them, so unless anybody else in the next – well, by tomorrow lunch time, unless anybody comes up with some breaking news about Internet Society Norway, it is my [plan of] action to write to the ALAC and make a recommendation from EURALO that this application should be accepted. So that will be a new At-Large Structure. It did take a little while, and it's somehow my fault, because I dropped it on the side and forgot a little bit about it. So anyway, we do need to move forward on that, and I wanted to mention this during our monthly call.

Now, EURALO appointments. A quick rundown with all of the changes that we have. First, the Subcommittee on Finance and Budgets. Two people are required for this Subcommittee on Finance and Budget. One person is appointed by the ALAC, one person is appointed by the RALO. In general – so this is the committee that makes up all the finances and does all the application for funding and things for some of our activities, but also, it's the committee that will comment, or be the primary

	location for drafting the comments on the finance, drafting comments on –
HEIDI ULLRICH:	Olivier?
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	Yes, Heidi?
HEIDI ULLRICH:	If I may, it's the budget. Basically, they've looked at the ICANN budget. That's one of their items. And then as you mentioned, there's the additional budget request, which is currently in the agenda. That's the other thing that they are really key for. Thank you.
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	But they also do the strategic plan that they also work on, I believe. That's not written on there, but they also deal with the ICANN strategic plan, or provide feedback on the ICANN strategic plan.
HEIDI ULLRICH:	Yes.
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	Anyway, that's the budget. Now, the FBSC as they're called. The ALAC members have discussed things with each other, and it looks as though the person who will be taking up the ALAC seat will be Bastiaan Goslings

as far as I understand. The RALO side of things usually is the Chair or Vice Chair or Secretary of EURALO, of the RALO itself, so it's going to be Wale this year. But then these are the two written down members on this, and then we can have as many participants as we wish to have.

So I'll certainly remain a participant. I hope that others will remain participants. The ones that are currently listed, plus maybe even more people if they wish to be participants on this. The difference between members and participants has never really been looked at so carefully, but I believe that the members have to be part of the calls. It's mandatory for them to be there. The participants can follow things on the mailing list.

HEIDI ULLRICH:Olivier?OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:Yes, Heidi, you have the floor.HEIDI ULLRICH:Yes, it's sort of like that, but it's also that they're able to be on the call,
the observers. But it's the actual members that vote for, for example,
the additional budget requests, which ones are accepted, which ones
are not going to be accepted. So it's that ability. Thank you.

- OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Thanks very much for this, Heidi. Very helpful. And so Sébastien Bachollet, you have the floor.
- SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yes. Thank you. Just to confirm that Bastiaan will be the ALAC EURALO [in this group] and I will [inaudible] participant. But I really think that this group, we must [inaudible] also reserve fund and the level [inaudible] discussion today, but also what will be in discussion in the future with the use of auction proceeds for the reserve fund [inaudible] It might be added to the definition of the work of this subgroup. Thank you.
- OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this, Sébastien. I see okay, that was interesting. Alright, the next appointment is to do with the ALAC Subcommittee on Appointee Selection. Now that's an interesting one. We're appointing someone on a committee that will then appoint people. It's a little bit like the ALAC's internal Nominating Committee. One person is basically taken from the At-Large Leadership Team, and one person is taken as a RALO representative. So we have to appoint the RALO representative.

Last year, the RALO representative was a gentleman by the name of Nenad Marinkovic, and the attendance records and performance records of that person were very good, so I propose that we reconduct Nenad for another year, and I haven't seen any objections to this. So we'll have as a good continuity, we'll have Nenad going on for a second year at this position, except if anybody else is not agreeing here, but I can certainly hear a green tick from Jean-Jacques Subrenat, and I did receive a few positive answers also on the e-mail.

Now, next is the Community Regional Outreach Program Review Team, the CROP Team. There are two people needed to go on this. It's a committee which we're not quite as its future is concerned. The problem being that there are some RALOs that don't quite see the worth of this committee, and the discussions are currently taking place on the ALAC and with the ALAC Chair and others as to what might happen with this committee. But if the committee continues its work, then one needs to appoint one person from the ALAC Subcommittee on Finance and Budget, the Finance and Budget Subcommittee that we've just talked about, and one person coming from the Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement. And this Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement also needs to be replenished as well, so we're looking at a whole pyramid of people that need to take on positions on these.

The aim I guess here is just for you to be aware. I don't think we're going to be making choices now, but certainly for those two people who are on the Subcommittee on Finance and Budget, could they please work out between themselves who is going to be the appointee to the CROP Review Team? And when it comes down to the Outreach and Engagement Sub Working Group, we've got several people even on this call who are currently members of this working group. I'm certainly one of the Co-Chairs of that working group, but we also have Yrjö Lansipuro, Wolf Ludwig, [inaudible] and Stephane Van Gelder being members from EURALO. So I guess we'll have to work out between ourselves who wishes to be on the CROP team, CROP review. OR we could go even further and ask if there's anybody else who wishes to be both in the Outreach and Engagement Working Group and the CROP Review Team, then please, could they step forward? IT really is a public call for people to step forward for these quite interesting I would say positions.

Next is the appointment of the EURALO Board, and I think this is what we need to discuss right now mostly in this section, hence the 90 minutes. Hopefully, we're not going to take the rest of the 90 minutes on this, but there are two things. The EURALO Board is coming up for renewal. It's always a two-year appointment. And we've got these positions that are currently held by a number of people. Jean-Jacques Subrenat launched the discussion in the middle of the year or perhaps earlier part of the year, regarding perhaps having some additional details of what the responsibilities should be of each one of these Board members. At present, we have five Board members, plus the EURALO Chair, plus the EURALO Secretary being ex officio.

What Jean-Jacques was suggesting was that there would be one person on the Board, one of those five Board members being concerned with legal issues, one on policy development, and one on communications development. So we've got communications in general, but on top of that, Stephane Van Gelder suggested that we might have someone like a PR person, an outreach person that would go outside the traditional At-Large communities and try and find more members and advocate for At-Large outside of our sphere. So that would be four positions.

I'm now going to open the floor. I have asked the current Board members, by the way, about this, and there hasn't been very much feedback on that. And so I'd like to open the floor really for all of us to discuss this and to reach a decision as to whether we wish to go forward with such a system and what would be the fifth position if we are to agree to the first four that I've just laid out here. Jean-Jacques Subrenat, you have the floor.

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Thank you, Olivier. Two remarks on why I sent you that message. The first is that I made this proposal quite a long time ago, and it was rejected by some members of the Board I remember. And thank you for bringing it up again.

> So the reason I did this initially was that I saw that the Chair and obviously the Secretary, in addition to staff of course, were very busy with all the work to be done, but there was a fairly unequal distribution of the workload, and I thought that it might be helpful if some jobs were taken on by people in a nominative way, meaning it's their prime responsibility.

> And in this respect, I made three proposals. One is legal issues, two is policy development lead, and three is communication lead. Now, whether or not we fold the third one, communication lead, into the same person as was proposed by Stephane, meaning outreach, that is open to question. It may be a very good idea. But in any case, I would insist that at least on the two first ones, legal issues and policy development lead, I think it would really serve the purposes of EURALO to have identified Board members on that.

> My second point I want to make is also quite general. It's that as we have experience in the EURALO Individuals Association, there are some jobs, some tasks which can be taken care of, not necessarily by Board

EN

members. It can be by members of the association, and in this case embers of EURALO, who could perfectly well in association with one Board member do the task in this or that area, for instance in legal issues or policy development, without being a member of EURALO Board. So I would very much like to hear some reaction on that, and I think that's by the way one way of extending the relevance of associations such as ours to people who are willing to put in time and thought and who for whatever reason either are not candidates for a Board position or who have not been selected for the Board. Thank you.

- OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this, Jean-Jacques. Next is Yrjö Lansipuro. Yrjö, you have the floor.
- YRJÖ LANSIPURO: Yes. Thank you. Thank you, Jean-Jacques for making this proposal. I understand that the idea is to have more operational [inaudible] on the Board and also to share the burden, the work. On the other hand, I must say that on the current Board, in my opinion, the work got on pretty well without this formalizing of the sectors. I think that it was a function of what needed to be done and who felt best equipped and having time to do it. Defining sectors is okay, but it also means defining borders or barriers and creating sort of what you call [revere], so that I will be a little bit wary about doing too much sort of formalizing. Five members of the Board is a fairly small group, and so much depends on the composition of the new Board. Thank you.

By the way, the second point, your second proposal is a good one, and I'm happy to say that it has been already put in practice when ALSes – including of course the ALS of the individual members – have been asked to contribute to some policy matters. And we have a couple of difficult cases when it actually took place. Thank you.

- OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Yrjö, for this. Are there any comments? I see several people saying that they are agreeing. Annette says, "Agree with Yrjö," and Erich Schweighofer agrees with Yrjö's point as well. Jean-Jacques, any response, any additional thoughts to this?
- JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Yes, thank you, Olivier. The reason I came back on this is that you sent around an e-mail, Olivier, as Chair of EURALO, putting this on the table once again. I thought it had been interred – to use a [Shakespearian] word – with the Board. And apparently not, and that's why I came forward with a new proposal or a revised proposal. And in addition, there was also one proposal from Stephane Van Gelder. So that's the history of it. I wouldn't want to appear as someone who has some sort of strange old man's agenda. That's not the case. And I was simply responding to your own e-mail. Thank you.
- OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Thanks for this, Jean-Jacques. I see that Bastiaan is supporting your proposal, so it makes sense to him. But if Yrjö says that the work in the

current Board is evenly distributed – Bastiaan, could you please speak? It's probably easier than me reading what you're saying to the record.

BASTIAAN GOSLINGS: Yes, thank you, Olivier. I have not been part of the history or I'm not familiar enough probably with the context of what made Jean-Jacques come up with the proposal, if I'm not mistaken, already a year ago. But if I just read it as is, it makes total sense to me. But simultaneously, if then Yrjö responds thanking Jean-Jacques for his ideas, and indirectly at least [inaudible] that Yrjö says, well, they might make sense, but in reality, looking at the current Board, the work is actually evenly distributed, the workload so as such it's not a real concern so it's not necessary to formalize – especially not to formalize too much – but I don't think that's what Jean-Jacques is saying, but that it is not necessary to formalize and distribute the work as such.

> So that's why I'm saying I'm in the middle here. I like the idea and I think it makes sense, the proposal itself. But actually, is a real problem being addressed? I don't know, and it sounds to me that Yrjö is saying this is not the case. So that's why. I don't know if that helps or not, but that's my thought.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this, Bastiaan. Any other comments on this? I don't see anyone putting their hand up, so I think that what we're going to do is to effectively – I don't see a sort of total going in one direction of another here, so no consensus, effectively, on whether we wish to provide Board with this. My personal view on that is that it would make sense to have someone mostly in charge of legal and policy development and communication, etc. However, I also note what's being done in other parts of the community. For example, in NCUC, they go even further. Because they do a lot of policy development, they actually have policy leads for each one of those topics.

So if somebody, a newcomer comes over and says, "Oh, I'm interested in this topic," then they would be put in touch directly with the person who's in charge of that topic. So perhaps we can look into that as well, and that actually goes around the mentoring discussion that we might have a little bit later on on this call, that it kind of [seeks] together. On the legal issues, we do have several people who have knowledge of legal issues, and as Yrjö was saying, our At-Large Structure list has a much wider list of people than just one person who would be on the Board.

The difficulty I see in selecting a Board is if we need to satisfy each one of those skillsets. So if we say," Well, we need five people and one person needs to be good in legal, one in policy development, one in communication, one in outreach and one in something else," it's going to make the selection even more difficult, because I'm not quite sure how we can do all the balancing out of those skills.

But I see both Jean-Jacques Subrenat and Wale Bakare up. I'm not sure who put their hand up first. Let's go to first Jean-Jacques Subrenat and then to Wale Bakare. Jean-Jacques, you have the floor.

EN

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Thank you, Olivier. At this discussion, I want this to be noted in the minutes that I withdraw my proposal, for the obvious reason that there is no support for it, but also perhaps more importantly, because my proposal is already dated, and as I explained earlier, it arose from the fact that I had seen earlier on that there was a huge load on a limited number of people on the Board, and that the workload was not really distributed. And then Olivier, you sent around this e-mail a few weeks ago and I responded. So I think there's obviously a misfit time-wise between the origin of my proposal and what it has come to now.

Now, if the current Board members feel comfortable with the arrangement as it stands today, I'm the last one to put that into question. So I withdraw my proposal formally. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much for this, Jean-Jacques. Next is Wale Bakare. And we are not able to hear Wale. Yes, Wale, you have the floor.

WALE BAKARE: Hello, can you hear me? Yes, alright. Yes, my personal opinion regarding the proposal proposed by Jean-Jacques Subrenat and comments made by Yrjö, I can understand the perspective of the proposal is to kind of [inaudible] the kind of way the EURALO will [pursue its task]. That is one aspect of that. But because that is this, because this is every member or every Board member perhaps is just a volunteer position, it's quite difficult to really put in a lot of energy, 24 hours, eight hours of a job into every role. I mean that every Board member would like to undertake.

EN

But if for instance we have to [inaudible], we require an expertise to take up a Board membership position and that person should be assigned a particular [inaudible] that will make [inaudible] be more effective, that will leave a kind of – we haven't reached there anyway, I'm just trying to look at it. The proposal is a good thing on one hand, but going by the comment made by Yrjö, it's just looking at it from the angle of European diversification that is made to effectively flesh out every angle to make sure that we create an oversight on the other hand. So it's just if we can continue – my own opinion [inaudible] we can continue this [inaudible] maybe for the next one or two months, then we will maybe perhaps come out with something concrete eventually. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this, Wale. So I take note that Jean-Jacques has formally withdrawn his suggestion here. I'm not sure whether it's the right word, withdrawn, because it wasn't a statement as such. But it's a proposal, and I think it's been a good discussion that we've had today. And certainly, yes, we have moved forward on these points.

So perhaps the new members of the Board – and the call for Board members is going to come out very shortly – the people that will obviously be selected by this organization can give a serious look as to what some of their responsibilities should be, and being able to help out. Maybe not individual, but certainly as a group in all of these points, and keep a close eye, a close watch on the legal issues, on the policy development, on the communication inside of EURALO and on outreach, four topics which I think were absolutely spot on for us to as a

group look at. And as the EURALO Chair, I would certainly be very thankful if the next EURALO Board will be pretty active in these and being able to help out and coordinate.

Let's move on in our agenda. Let's go to the next thing, and that's the quick point on the review of the EURALO monthly reports for 2016 and 2017. It's just a pointer for all of you to be aware that these – both years, well, 14, 15, 16, 17, etc., have all been updated over the years, and so if you have anybody who you know, any newcomers, anybody who's a new participant or a recent participant in EURALO, then please – and I think this is in particular for the individual members – point them to those EURALO reports. They are here to update you, and these are drafted by the Secretary over the years. So it provides a very good summary, a month-to-month summary of all of what's been done in EURALO. And now it's Wale who's in charge of updating those for the next years.

Now, that's the point on the EURALO monthly reports, so nothing more than just to make you aware of these. I don't know if many people are not aware that these reports exist, but they do. Then there's also the EURALO RIPE MoU signing. I think some of you might have been there. in fact, quite a few of you will have been there when we signed an MoU with RIPE. There's been a discussion on the RIPE coordination mailing list – would you believe it – as to what exactly is this whole MoU about. I have not taken part in the discussion, I was just reading it in quite an amused way as to the fact that on our side, on EURALO we had quite some discussion about this. There hadn't been very much discussion on the RIPE NCC side about the engagement here. But the whole thing of communicating and working more together and having some outreach events taking place is something that we're going to develop.

The next RIPE meetings are going to take place – there are quite a few taking place around Europe, so what I'll do then is work with RIPE on trying to identify some ways for our local At-Large Structures to go and attend the RIPE meeting if they wish to do so. That sounds like a good first step into the world of IP addresses, and see what the RIPE meeting is like. Very different from an ICANN meeting, but equally as interesting and with a lot of policy, and certainly a lot of challenges lying ahead of us. Especially when it comes down to spreading IPv6 around the world, and the politics of the whole allocation of IP addresses coming up in several non-ICANN fora, United Nations fora around the world where countries are thinking, "Hey, maybe we can allocate IP addresses ourselves and therefore also restrict the allocation of IP addresses depending on what political party you vote for, etc." Not a great sight for the future.

Now, the next thing I want to let you know about are the EURALO documents, the hot topics, and the other one being the strategy, starting with the hot topics document. It's all updated, it's not been finalized. We as a community have spent two months to update it. It's effectively an update of the EURALO hot topics for 2016. It's got the GDPR, General Data Protection Regulation added to it, a few other amendments. So these are the hot topics for this year. What I would suggest is as things move so quickly, we probably start working on a hot topics document earlier next year than in August. So we start working on it perhaps in March, April, so that we can develop this hot topic document over the summer, and then we'll have it ready by mid-

summer rather than having it ready just at the end of 2018, the next year.

So that was one document. The other one is the finalization of the EURALO strategy, and that again is – well, first I wanted to thank Wale Bakare for having provided the first draft of this, and Wale Bakare and the EURALO Individuals Association for doing so. We've had quite some feedback as well with some amendments to this document, and so now the strategy document is also finalized, and it also has a document reference number. What I will be doing is to forward both the EURALO strategy and the EURALO hot topics documents to the RALO Secretariat, and we'll see if the other RALOs wish to also produce such documents, and then we'll have all of these put together. Then hopefully – I'm not quite sure how we can escalate this, but perhaps pass this on over to the ALAC and see if a statement could be drafted out of this or something else.

I know that Heidi is in discussions with some of her colleagues on some of the RALO documents. The last coordinated hot topics document from At-Large was passed on to the ICANN Board. Perhaps this is the endgame in this one as well. But I wanted to thank everyone for taking part in putting this document together. Any comments or questions?

Yes, I have been going a bit fast, so EURALO hot topics. You can see on there, everything is there. You can click on the hot topics document and you will see the document itself. Same for the RIPE NCC page, by the way. The signed Memorandum of Understanding is on that RIPE NCC page. You can click on it and you can see the terrible signature that I had on that day. It was quite an emotional affair. Alright, let's then move swiftly on, and now I've done a great thing, which is to close my own agenda page. So now I need to resort back to the agenda that's on the wiki.

Next after this, we have the EURALO preparations for the global IGF in Geneva. We have 15 minutes for this. We are only 15 minutes away from the end of this call. I don't think we'll have that much to discuss on this. There's been some discussion earlier today with the group, preparing the Internet Governance Forum in Geneva, and the group has decided on a couple of things.

First, to do with the booth, there is going to be an At-Large booth at the IGF. There's also going to be a participation of EURALO in the European Corner, which is a joint thing between the European commission, the Council of Europe and several European institutions. And so EURALO will take part in that on one side, and then the ALAC booth in the other. And I believe that they're next to each other or opposite each other, so they will a fantastic way to do some good outreach at IGF and have both new At-Large Structures that will be applying, and I believe that because the IGF is in our region, this is an excellent opportunity to find new organizations to apply, dynamic organizations to apply, but also new individuals as well. So it would be really great to have good participation there.

I'm not sure who is going to be there. If you are going to attend IGF in Geneva, please let staff know so we can put you on the mailing list for the preparations and so you can be aware of what's going on. And you can see we've got several workspaces there for workshops, for the booth, for key persons and the different ICANN At-Large-organized events there as well. Whoever is dealing with the green arrow, that's excellent, thank you for pointing at those right things. And so there are quite a few things that you can see on that page.

Not really much else to discuss on this. We are going to produce – so yes, we've applied – now, each RALO has some discretionary funding for activities not related to travel but for buying things for events and so on, and so we had a brief discussion with staff and given what else we're going to do in the year, we'll use our complete \$2000 allocation on providing some what they call swag in the United States. It's called goodies in the UK, like little things that you give to people to attract attention. One of them is going to be a tin lapel pin, or lapel pin as some would call it in other parts of the world, and that's the little pin that you get that you put on your jacket or onto your shirt.

And then we'd have also some power converters, socket converters, the multi-socket things which will be branded with ICANN At-Large. The reason for these being that they're very useful. People love those. The rest of the things, like pens and goodness what the other stuff usually ends up in the bin, but these power converters are really helpful. The power banks, battery thing is just gaining too much ground at the moment, too many people are offering these, and there's also a restriction on travel for these, so we decided maybe that those little converters would be a lot more useful, and they will have the At-Large brand.

There'll be some brochures that will be sent in many different languages, and there will also be some – well, hopefully we will have the EURALO banner that will be there that we'll put in the European corner, and we'll have the At-Large popup banner that we'll put in the At-Large booth. There's also an agenda for who wants to be in the At-Large booth. That's all for EURALO preparations. Have I missed anything, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier, there's one point. Well, two points. One, I've put into the chat if you are planning on going, please make sure that you register at the IGF and also bring your picture ID every day when you're going to the venue. There will be security, and they will be checking that. Also, I found out that there is going to be an ICANN reception, and that is Tuesday I believe at 7:00. Yes, Tuesday the 19th. It's around 7:00. It's in the WIPO building that's just down the street, and it's at the top of the WIPO building. So I'm sure that ICANN will be providing more details on that.

> I'm sorry, just one more item is that the next call next week of the IGF Organizing Committee will be inviting staff who are coordinating this, as well as members of the other groups, NCUC, NPOC, etc. who will be attending, so we'll see if there are opportunities for coordination. That's it, Olivier. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Heidi. And just to remind you all, let staff know if you're going to the IGF, because then we'll put you on our mailing list and then you'll be sure to be aware of where that cocktail event is going to take place that ICANN is running. If you're not on any list, then don't complain afterwards that you were not aware or made aware about things.

- HEIDI ULLRICH:Olivier, one more point. ICANN is also going to have a booth, and if you
have any questions about what ICANN is doing, and if you wish to meet
there as well, that they may I'm not sure if they have a bigger space, I
don't know, but please feel free to use that space as well. And again, ask
questions of the people who are supporting that. Thank you.
- OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much, Heidi. Are there any comments or questions from anyone on this particular topic? I don't see anyone putting their hand up, so then we can just go to the next part of our agenda, and we're back with Heidi again.
- HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, this is fiscal year 19 additional budget requests, correct, Olivier?
- OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's correct, Heidi.
- HEIDI ULLRICH: So that's the first item. So again, part of the reason that we're doing a call for a membership of the ALAC Finance and Budget Subcommittee is we do need to start putting that group together so that they can look at the additional budget requests that will be coming in. So that process is

going to launch on the 15th of December, and that's the wrong page. If we could put up the fiscal year '19. It's sort of empty at the moment, but we will be posting more of the information we will be getting from finance very shortly, and we will then work with the FBSC to set out the timeline for At-Large for these additional budget requests. Now, these are additional budget requests. Any person, any ALS, any RALO can submit one. We do ask that you go through your RALO, your RALO leadership on that. They will be experienced on how to complete the form. There's a template that you'll need to fill out.

Then it will go into the Finance and Budget Subcommittee, they'll review it. They may submit it as is, they may ask for more clarification, or they may say, "No, this is not in line with what the request should be."

Also, travel requests are not normally accepted, so if you are planning on doing something related to that, you may need to put in work, like there's a workshop or a panel connected to that. But even if you do do that, they might come back and say, "Well, use your CROP funding for that."

Sorry, I missed a step. Once the Finance and Budget Committee approves which request to submit, then it goes to an internal process, and then the Board will approve it around the same time that the fiscal year '19 budget is approved. Olivier, do you permit me to just go ahead and talk a little bit about some thoughts about what EURALO has been doing the last several years? I know we've talked about it, so you can discuss it as well. OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, Heidi. No, just one point I was going to make before I let you continue, is that at present, it doesn't look as though there is any form on that page to –

- HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct, because again, the process doesn't launch until the 15th of December, so we're a couple of weeks out. But again, I just wanted to raise this now to make sure that you start thinking about what kind of projects and requests you might wish to submit. Because once it starts on the 15th, you only have about a month or so to fill it out, discuss it with your RALO, and it's actually during the holiday season for some people. So there's not much time, hence we're talking about it at this point.
- OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thanks. It is funny to see that, yes, exactly during the Christmas holidays because in Europe we do call it Christmas it's a time when everyone's away. But ICANN is very good for this stuff. Let us know about what EURALO's been asking for in the past and what we might be interested in asking for.
- HEIDI ULLRICH: Sure. Yes. Which particular request stands out as having been rejected probably a record number of times is the request for [inaudible] It's normally travel. And again, during the years, there have been more additional criteria coming out from the Finance department on what

kind of requests will be looked at, and travel is not really one, again because of the CROP that is now incorporated into the regular ICANN budget.

So again, you might want to look at other kinds of requests. Definitely, again, the IGF request for a workshop, they will wish to see already a request for fiscal year 19 for the 2018 IGF, and they'll also wish to see already workshops on themes that are connected to ICANN developed somewhat in the request. And I've had talks with the internal staff who are looking at these saying, "Well, the IGF doesn't even put out their tames until later," and the response is then, "Well, it's pretty much the general theme, so you can sort of have an educated guess on what that might be."

Other requests might be for ALS readout sessions. Another one might be another request to continue the RALO discretionary funding. That might be coming from EURALO or the ALAC. So these sorts of activities would be good activities. Again, keep in mind that the Barcelona meeting is coming up early in fiscal year '19. If EURALO is planning on doing something for that meeting – not a GA, but perhaps something a little bit more than just a showcase, that might be a useful request to put in as well. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Heidi. I don't see anyone putting their hand up. I was just going to add one point about what other RALOs were sometimes doing: rather than asking for funding to attend a meeting, they would ask for sponsorship of that meeting itself as co-organizers of the meeting, and then use part of that funding to actually ship themselves over to that meeting too. One of the loopholes somehow that [has been happening.]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. I can comment on that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So we could ask for – yes, can you comment on this? Because, is this allowed or not?

HEIDI ULLRICH: We've seen several of those, particularly from for example APRALO submits a lot of those requests, and what normally happens is that they work with other organizations to get additional sponsorship, and ICANN – it's particularly GSE that then will help work with them for a relatively small sum, but it is something to help them organize those, for example it would be a national IGF or some sort of event like that. But again, additional sponsorship will be needed.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks for this, Heidi. And I was going to ask then, can we ask ICANN to stop funding ICANN student [inaudible] so as to be able to then fund it again but with us involved in the loop whilst it's being funded? Because that's one of the weird things.

[inaudible] HEIDI ULLRICH: OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Student [inaudible] is funded by ICANN. How it's got the ICANN Chair, how it's got the ICANN Board, it's got everyone from ICANN. The only people that are not represented in student [inaudible] are end users. It's bloody unbelievable. I'm using the B-word. I could have used the F-word instead. HEIDI ULLRICH: I understand. I would suggest that you probably don't want to go that route. I would suggest that you would work with Jean-Jacques Sahel and his team early on in the development, and just reach out. I think that's a good point. And particularly, bring in the civil society aspect, that you might want to have a panel with members of either At-Large or NPOC, NCUC, and do it under the umbrella of civil society, which Jean-Jacques is also [leading.] Just a thought. OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks very much for this, Heidi. And we are four minutes beyond the end of this call. But we have some additional AoB that we need to be adding to this call. So in AoB, the first one – where did I put it? No. Oh, no, did I just delete it? I'm going to have to ask for help, please, because I think I've deleted the AoB that I had listed, written down somewhere.

Christopher Wilkinson, you have the floor. You raised some points, and I've unfortunately deleted them from my screen. Not very clever of me. Christopher, you have the floor.

CHRISTOPHER WILKINSON: Thank you, Olivier, and good evening, everybody, again. Regarding this Work Track 5 on geographical names, first of all, I would really like to know whether EURALO or ALAC have ever issued [elite] positions as to what your views are about protection or use of geographical names in the top level of the domain name system. As I've been scratching the surface of this subject, I've become aware of the fact that it's very obscure to what the position is which our participants in this working group would have an interest in supporting.

> Secondly, I've circulated information about the working group's mailing list, and I know that some of you have already signed on to the mailing list. It would be very useful just to know who is on the mailing list, particularly as further down the track, there may be some need for coordination. And finally, just in the last few hours, the Secretariat has organized a mentoring system, the gist of which is that if any particular individual participant is interested in the subject but has no particular background, notably in PDP GNSO procedures, if they're interested in having the support of another, more experienced individual, this can be organized. In the American language, it's called the buddy system. But I hope that some of you take advantage of that option.

> The working group will meet next week, and I think once more in December. And I would expect to [inaudible] one or two of you have

already indicated, I'm expecting early next year that this will become quite an active subject. Thank you, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Christopher. And may I ask whether you've asked the ALAC about these questions, the ALAC's position on geographic names? I've seen some discussions take place on the ALAC that have been very mixed discussions. So various views, but no actual, real consensus in any specific direction. I wonder whether in EURALO, there is a consensus or not. I could certainly try and – well, we could certainly launch a discussion on the EURALO mailing list if you wish to just drop a note on there and ask what people think about it, but I would guess that for many people, it's not something as important as privacy or as some other sort of hot topics that we have in Europe. I certainly haven't seen geo names being a hot topic coming out in Europe.

> That said, when you look at the discussions on the GAC, Government Advisory Committee, you can see that certainly, some names have come up in the real world, so in Europe, the names are quite important. Trademarks and things, and also the [inaudible] the control – I don't know how you call this in English, actually, that your champagne can only come from the Champagne region and Bordeaux wine can only come from Bordeaux, and that sort of thing.

CHRISTOPHER WILKINSON: [Geographical indications.]

EN

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:	Yes, geographic indication names. So it's kind of a hot topic, but ${\sf I}$
	haven't seen that much furor about it from our community, and it'd be
	interesting to get some feedback. I'm a bit not aware. There you go.

CHRISTOPHER WILKINSON: I think the risks of [inaudible] arise when further down the line, toplevel names use geographical terms in a way which the governments or the local authorities or general public find inappropriate. We've been here before in a different context in the past. A certain number of ccTLDs were delegated to individuals which have no particular link or responsibility for the country concerned.

To answer your main question, Alan Greenberg knows that I have a question about this, but I don't think I've had an answer. And all I wish to say at this stage is that having been – somewhat to my surprise – appointed by ALAC to act in this working group as a co-Chair or co-leader as they call it, it would be nice to know what actually the ALAC position is. But it's a bit late in the evening to go into the substance of the matter, because I think as Annette has just said – sorry, I have to leave. All the best, because I got to go into the kitchen and have some supper. But thank you very much for giving me this floor again on this. I'm sure we can continue the discussion on the mailing list.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Thanks very much for this, Christopher Wilkinson. And from all the discussions l've seen so far, I haven't seen any consensus position in our community, from RALO to RALO and on the ALAC itself, but certainly, discussion on these points would be very interesting and very

important. So please, keep this up, and I ask everyone here to keep this up as well. With this, we now have quite a few people who have had to leave, and it is pretty late, so we are 15 minutes beyond the official end of this call. I'd like to thank everyone.

If there is any other Any Other Business by any chance – I'm not seeing anyone else put their hand up, so thanks to all of you for having participated in this call today. It's been very interesting, and I think we've made some good progress, we've had some good discussions.

Before we meet next time – no, I think that we will meet before the IGF if I understand correctly, so we have – are we going to meet before the IGF? I don't think we will. Let me ask staff when not knowledgeable about things.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Maybe.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, we will. We will meet on the 12th of December, and the IGF is the week afterwards. So no doubt, we'll have more discussions by then. But please have a great month, have a very good evening. Apologies for the late end to this call, but thanks again for taking part, and thanks to our staff for all the great notes. We'll follow up everything by e-mail, and this call is now adjourned. Have a very good night, everyone. Goodbye.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thanks, everyone.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Thank you all. This call is now adjourned. Please remember to disconnect your lines when leaving the AC room and the bridge. Thank you all for your participation, and have a wonderful rest of your day. Bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]