
GISELLA GRUBER:

Good morning, good afternoon and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the NARALO monthly call on Monday the 20th of November at 20:00 UTC. On today's call we have Allan Skuce, John More, Eduardo Diaz, Evan Leibovitch, Gordon Chilcott, Judith Hellerstein, Leah Symekher, Susannah Gray, Matt Rantanen, Charles Robin, Marita Moll, Alan Greenberg, Javier Rua-Jovet, and William Cunningham.

Apologies today noted from Glenn McKnight and Loris Taylor.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Yesim Nazlar, Claudia Ruiz, and myself, Gisella Gruber.

Our interpreters today on the French channel are Isabelle and Aurelie. And if I can please remind everyone to state their names when speaking, not only for transcript purposes, but to allow the interpreters to identify you on the French language channel.

Eduardo, as a total, we have 11 ALSes present, and we have three unaffiliated members. Thank you very much, and over to you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay, thank you so much. Thank you, everyone, for taking the time today to participate in the meeting. This is the agenda that I have put together. It's quite different from what we have seen before, and the reason I'm doing this is because I want to [explain] later on about – if we go to ICANN too, we have a set of rules and procedures [tell us] that we should have quorum if we want to do a consensus call or [inaudible]

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Not that it will happen either [inaudible] we have quorum at [inaudible] we're doing this. So apparently, we have – you said 13? 14? 10? 11? Gisella? In any case, we have more than ten people. I believe there are –

GISELLA GRUBER: Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Gisella, how many ALSes do we have present?

GISELLA GRUBER: Eduardo, we have 11 ALSes, and we have three unaffiliated members. And I will update you in the Adobe Connect chat during the call should the numbers change. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, so that being the case, we can do consensus [inaudible] from our votes. Not that we're going to do it, because according to the new rules of procedures that were approved recently in 2014, representatives can vote. In any case, I just want to know if you were able to – the agenda was posted very late last night or very early this morning. Apologies for that, because that was my fault. I wanted to make sure that I could capture things from the other agenda to put them here in a way that we'll look at discussion items.

So let me go to Item #1. This is the new agenda, so you get a feeling for what I'm trying to do here. First of all, we have a list of attendees that I

pick up from the information that we have in the wiki. Most of us, including me, don't know every and each one of the ALSes that we have in the region, and the same thing goes for the unaffiliated.

According to what we have right now, we have 27 ALSes which you can see at the beginning of the agenda, who they are, who their reps are and where they belong to, and the unaffiliated members who [inaudible] how they're separated by different [parts] like Canada, Puerto Rico and U.S. That will stay there for each agenda, and we will make sure that we're not using the record for who was present and who was not.

This is something that you will see coming up next year. We're going to start planning the ATLAS III [general thing] for all the ALSes, and there are these type of metrics that we have to keep track of, and we will be [do something] from this information to do that. But that would come later.

So the idea behind this new format is that everything that we're going to talk about in this meeting is a discussion item. The reason I'm doing this is that before we had an agenda, they had like things, for example CROPs, policy, and people talk about it. And you will come to the next meeting and you will not have an idea probably because you did not participate, or you participated in a month [you forgot], you're coming to this meeting, and for the most part, you don't remember what was said before, or an action item, or what was decided then.

And with this type of format, what I wanted to do is I wanted to keep track of that. It's not that we're going to save minutes of everything.

The idea is not that. So we just want to summarize with a line item what was discussed. And if you look at the item numbers, they [will count] 001 all the way through numerical order.

We have here the date, like the date for the meeting, 20th November 2017, and there is a bracket where we're going to put the recording of when we started talking about this. And by the way, Gisella, you can put for item 001, we started talking about this about four minutes into the call.

So that's basically the agenda. This will take two or three iterations before we can get used to it, but you will see how this works, and it will help people coming into the meeting knowing what was discussed before. We will see discussion items that are going nowhere at the moment, and we can take them out and put them into what I call a dormant state which will remove them from [inaudible] we put it there, and we're going to have another area with closed items, discussion items that are done, finished, and we agreed to close it, and then we'll move it up. But we will keep it in this closed area where you can always refer to it if you need to refer. And if you need to bring it back, that discussion, then you can go and bring it back.

So that's basically the format that I'm using now for this meeting, and I just want to make sure that everybody agrees on this, and if you have any questions. Okay, do you have any questions?

GISELLA GRUBER:

Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, I don't have any questions, but we are having difficulties interpreting you because your line is a bit muffled. So would it be okay if we tried to adjust the connectivity? Could you just speak again, please?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, what I'm doing now, I'm having my microphone closer to my mouth. Can you hear me better?

GISELLA GRUBER: Let me just get the interpreters to confirm. Thank you, Eduardo, for your patience.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay.

GISELLA GRUBER: Interpreters, that is better. Thank you very much. You may continue. Thank you, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Please interrupt me if you cannot hear me or if you don't understand me. Please interrupt me anytime. So we have an agreement

on following up with this agenda and see how it goes. Do I have any objections to this agenda, or any questions at all? If not, then Judith, please go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I like the agenda and the idea of the closed – of the Google Doc and having us add stuff into the Google Doc. But I'm also curious about having done these meetings and things take a lot more time, and I think I miss the idea of the indication of how many minutes each is selected for. So I think that's helpful to figure out timing-wise.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Can you repeat that, Judith? I missed the last part of what you said.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Oh, I think it's helpful to have the times, how many minutes is each section allocated. And it's especially helpful as topics roll over, one to another, and then we have to cut out some sections.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, we'll do that for the next one. We'll put times to these items so we know more or less how much time we're going to stay in each one, and not only that, we'll know if we'll be able to finish with them. Thank you, Judith. Any other questions? No?

Okay, well I guess we have a consensus on this agenda, and please send me any information or feedback that you have. I see Susannah said in

the chat that we might want to log in with our affiliation which will make it easier for staff and all of us to follow up and find out who we are, because not all of us know each other in some cases.

So the next item is the creation of working groups. This item has to do with the fact that I want things to be discussed in a different way. I'm creating these working groups – I'm trying to find out here where we are, sorry. Oh, Item #006 which we are starting talk ten minutes into the call. I want to create three working groups that can be ad-hoc working groups or formal working groups, and basically, I'm proposing to have three working groups. One will focus on policy, and the other one will focus on education, and the other one will focus on outreach.

I have talked to some people offline just to know if they want to lead these groups or not, and John Laprise said okay to lead the policy working group, and I've put some scopes and responsibilities here which I'd like the groups to make sure they're okay with them. This is something that I just sat and just wrote, and I just want to make sure that the group that is going to take over this are okay with the scope and responsibilities and read them so we can ratify them.

And basically, the Policy Working Group is just to understand some of the policies that affect our region or are important for us to know, and if we need to prepare statements from the region, they would be able to help produce them and we can look at them. And also, if there are issues, policies that people need to know more about them on a specific thing, then that's where I'm proposing to create education working group to help the policy and [early] issues to bring up our knowledge to a different level so we are more able to ask questions. Because

sometimes, we don't know what the issue is about, we don't know what question to ask or what comments you can put to help in the discussion.

So Alfredo Calderon who has a lot of experience with this, I asked him to lead this and he said yes. And the idea here that I have is we can prepare what I call [snip] webinars, which means webinars that don't last more than 15 minutes, just so we get acquainted with it. And if we need more time, then we just prepare something more extended with more additional [time] but that's what I'm looking for. And my idea here is to take 15 minutes when there is one of these webinars, and in the monthly call we take those 15 minutes and we just talk about whatever the issue is present in the webinar.

And the other part, the other group is the outreach. I think Glenn, even though he's Secretariat of the NARALO, we need to take over that, and Judith, I expect you to help him and anyone who wants to be part of the outreach. And this has to do with all the outreach programs that we have, fellowship, indigenous, CROPs and all the other types of outreach programs and opportunities that exist out there to do outreach effort, so they can keep track of those and there is no what's important to know, when to apply and how things are going.

So I'm proposing that we create these groups. So does anybody have a question about this, or feedback that you can provide for this? So Judith, [inaudible] Susannah, I sent you an e-mail inviting you to the policy group, but I don't know if you want to participate in that. Susannah, I'm sorry. Okay, but in any case –

SUSANNAH GRAY: Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Oh, yes. Who? What?

SUSANNAH GRAY: Eduardo, I received your e-mail, and I actually sent a reply last night. Yes, it's fine, I'll be part of that group.

EDUARDO DIAZ: You were cutting off. What did you say again?

SUSANNAH GRAY: I said I got your e-mail, and I replied, and all is good. Yes, I will be part of that group.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. And please, for all of you who are interested in participating in these working groups, to contact John Laprise, Glenn, or Alfredo, and please, if you have the time to do it or help out, the creation of these groups is not something that – I don't want to add a lot of work, I want to make it easier for all of us when we come into the monthly meeting, that we are very focused as to what we're doing here, and really, what I want to do in these monthly groups is to talk more about policy than process and all those things which we can do offline. But I really want to get into what we're supposed to be doing here, which is providing knowing about policy and comments about it, and we should know

about it, and the idea is that we are all in sync and understand what we're talking about so we can produce something more meaningful and help ALAC through our representative when they require into whatever issues require input.

So if everybody is in [a quorum] with this and I don't see any objections, we agree to create these three groups and the people who are going to lead them. Is there any objection to this comment? Okay, so –

WILLIAM CUNNINGHAM: Yes, this is Bill.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Who? Bill?

WILLIAM CUNNINGHAM: This is Bill Cunningham. How are you doing?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, Bill, please.

WILLIAM CUNNINGHAM: Good. No objections, but I would like to see the charters for the working groups, the current leaders, and the procedure for joining. I'm interested in joining, but I just need to see something. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. If you want to join, just send an e-mail to one of the leaders and join them. I don't want to make this a formal process or anything like that, you just join them and participate in the [inaudible]. Basically have one, and just do what needs to be done. One of the things that I'm going to ask the leaders of these groups – but I'm going to do this offline – is to ask them to look at the scope and responsibility that I just put in, and make sure that they're okay with that. If not, [we need to] change them accordingly, and the next time, we'll just ratify them. But please, if you want to join, just contact them. Did I answer your question, Bill?

WILLIAM CUNNINGHAM: Yes. Very good. I get where you're going, and I agree with Joly. I am saying that it should be on the Confluence, some documentation. But I get that you want to move fast, and I'm with that.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Thank you so much. Gisella, there is an echo on my line. Hello, can you hear me?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, we can.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, so Gisella, please, you have your hand up. Evan has his hand up. Evan, you have the floor. We cannot hear you. Hello? I'm sorry, okay? Well, I cannot hear Evan. There is echo on the line.

Anyhow, we're going to move to Item #18, which is ALAC and the ALAC Appointee Selection Committee, and we started this 19 minutes into the call. And here, we're talking about in Item 19 is I received an e-mail which Alan Greenberg, Chair of the ALAC and the FBSC [inaudible] call for members of the 2017-2018 FBSC, and the task, that includes in this committee the coordination of the additional budget requests from the ALAC and the RALOs that will be filled to go into the yearly ICANN budget, drafting of any statement regarding budget process, and drafting of any statement regarding ICANN's operating plan and issues involving constituency travel.

Last time, I believe Judith and Glenn – well, Glenn isn't here. Judith, you were part of this committee, isn't it?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

No, I was not part of the Selection Committee. It was John Laprise who was the RALO nominee, and I forgot who were the ALAC nominees. And I think what you need is you need a new RALO nominee, because John is now an ALAC. I was part of CROP, but that's later on in the session.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

We're talking about [FBSC,] the –

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Oh, sorry. Finance and budget, yes, I'm part of that, and I'm willing to stay. And I told Glenn and others that I can stay and be part of the Finance and Budget Subcommittee as a RALO appointee.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. And you worked with Glenn, or you work all by yourself?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I worked for whoever was appointed from the outreach and budget, and the Outreach Committee, and that was Glenn. I think Glenn was from – it's one from the RALO and one from outreach, I think.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Alan, please, can you give us more details about this?

ALAN GREENBERG: The FBSC and outreach is the CROP Review Team, which is another group which is under discussion. The FBSC is two people named by the RALO. They could be ALAC members, but they don't have to be, and they have to be people who can speak on behalf of the RALO. The major responsibility of this group is to coordinate and critique the finance and budget applications, so clearly, if a RALO submits an application, it has to be presented by these people and justified, and if there are any questions or things that the Finance and Budget Committee wants to comment on, then it goes back through those people.

So they have to be people formally representing the RALO, and at least one of them really should be the Chair or the Secretariat of the RALO. It could be both, or it could be someone else who the RALO has confidence in. It's a pretty critical thing, because the special budget requests are a large part of how we evolve and change going forward.

So that is certainly important. It's worth noting however that those are the formal members of the Finance and Budget Subcommittee. Others can act as participants. Should there be a vote or a decision process, it involves only the members, but typically anyone else who is interested in the finance and budget issues can also participate. And for the most part, they participate as equals. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay. And I'm planning to be part of that committee. I think it's very important that I participate in that. And if anybody wants to participate with me, because Glenn sent me an e-mail that he is going to be mostly focused on outreach, so I need somebody else with me in that group. Do I have any volunteers?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

I can volunteer with you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay. Is everybody in the call okay with this? Are there any objections that myself and Judith are the representatives into this financial committee? If not, then –

WILLIAM CUNNINGHAM:

Yes, this is Bill Cunningham.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Bill, go ahead.

WILLIAM CUNNINGHAM: How much money are we talking about here for this budget? What was the budget last year? Number one.

Number two, I'd like to take a second and see if perhaps there aren't other people who would be interested in serving on that Finance and Budget Subcommittee. Again, it seems to me that's a pretty important subcommittee, and I don't want to rush through to select people who have kind of already been in that role. I have no issue with your going on that subcommittee, I think you're right, I think you need to be on there, but I'd like to get some [pressure] and other participation among the people who participate in NARALO and on these calls.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. So the reason I'm rushing this is because we have to get a name by the end of this week, so I can [send something] offline and see who else is interested, but it's going to be gung-ho process to decide who is going to be in this committee or not. So what do you suggest that we do, Bill?

WILLIAM CUNNINGHAM: I suggest that you do a quick survey to see if there are fresher voices, candidates interested out there. If there are not, then it's you and Judith. If by Friday you don't have some additional indications, then of course, it would be you and Judith on that subcommittee.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Let's do it that way then.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I have my hand up.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Oh, Judith, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: As do I.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Alan is first. Alan, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. To be clear, number one, according to the rules of procedure, this is a decision of the leadership of the RALO. This is not something looking for new people who are interested in getting involved. So we're looking for people who truly understand what is going on within ICANN and within the RALO, and can act as the representatives of the RALO. There are plenty of opportunities in other things for people to essentially start to get involved, so that's number one.

And number two, the timing is such that as Eduardo pointed out, we are about to kick off a number of activities, and to the extent that we can have these people in place, it is really important that we do that soon.

But just to note, as some positions within the organization, we do call for nominations and then have a vote of the members or of the RALO members. In this case, this is one of the positions that it is the choice of the leadership who can truly represent them and who has good communication path into the RALO and w the leadership if it's not the leadership themselves.

In several of the RALOs, it is typical that we have the Chair and the Vice Chair or the Chair and the secretariat taking on this position. They are elected to represent the RALO, and therefore they are reasonable people. It's not required, but it is typical. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Alan, for the clarification. I wasn't aware of that. Judith, please.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. And also to answer some of William's questions that he's put in the chat, we are not going on the budget. We are looking mostly at every year, ICANN has a special budget request. And as we had in the past, we've always asked when Glenn and I were on the team leadership, we've always recruited people from the organization and what projects they want us to make for special budgets. This committee just reviews these special budget requests and votes on them.

And as Alan said, others would be welcome to join. Allan Skuce has been on for many years, first as a member and then as a participant. It is not discussing the overall budget. We do get e-mails from the main

ICANN budget people inviting us to join the budget, but it is not about that budget, it is only about the special budget request that we're doing and that each RALO does. So it's not a typical budget [meeting] as some other people might have thought. So I just thought I would give you some clarity about that.

And as William typed in, it's not a fixed budget. Every year, there's an amount that's left over for the special budget, and people put in suggestions. And in the past, Glenn and I have always pushed for many people from the RALO to send in as many suggestions as possible, and then these are judged in the committee. So that's all that this committee is doing.

WILLIAM CUNNINGHAM: I understand that. I'm trying to get a feel for the dollar amount. I understand it's not the total budget. Are we talking \$10 here, \$100 per item, or are we talking \$10,000?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: [No, Bill, it is not a total number.]

ALAN GREENBERG: I've put the number in the chat.

EDUARDO DIAZ: The number is in the chat, that's what I was going to say.

WILLIAM CUNNINGHAM: Very good. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: And it's not that, it's just people put in suggestions, and then they don't put in amounts. They put in suggestions and then those are all discussed, and it all depends on what gets put forward, what the Board decides to do. The committee may suggest something, but then the Board may decide, "Oh, we want something different. Oh, we want to rephrase that." So there's really nothing – we're just one part of a much larger process.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. Judith, thank you for the clarification. I want to close this discussion since this is something that the leadership decide. So I will be there, and Judith, since you were there last year, I think you can help [inaudible] Glenn as Secretariat told me that he's going to focus more on outreach and he wants to pass on this. I will send a confirmation letter to the staff and Alan, and we'll copy everyone. Thank you so much. So yes, we can close this item.

I saw that I skipped – I was going to talk about Item 18 and I jumped to Item 19. Thank you, William, for letting me know that. So we're going to go back to the Item 18 which is another request that we received from Alan. Alan, can you talk about this one?

ALAN GREENBERG: If you tell me exactly what it is. I'm a little bit confused. You're talking about three-digit items and we have an agenda on the screen which doesn't seem to relate to this at all.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, item 18 is ALAC and ALAC Appointee Selection Committee, which is another mail that I received. We need to answer this by the end of this week too.

ALAN GREENBERG: Oh, okay. Sorry, I'm just a little bit confused with the multiple different agendas. Okay, the ALAC Appointee Selection Committee is a committee created about a year and a half ago to which to a large extent the ALAC delegates the selection of people for various positions. And it's used for almost all positions that ALAC selects. The committee looks at the applicants who apply for any given position and makes recommendations to the ALAC on who to appoint. Most of the time, it actually makes specific selections. On occasion, it will give the ALAC multiple choices.

These are ranging from the liaisons to the other ACs and SOs, formal appointees to cross-community working groups, and a whole range of types of positions that the ALAC appoints. It is made up of essentially the ALAC leadership team, plus one person appointed by each RALO. Again, it requires people who are willing to put time and effort into it, because typically, these things are done on relatively short notice. Sometimes, we only get one applicant. Sometimes, we get 30 or 40 for a given position. It's really important that whoever is selected have

experience at evaluating people. Very often, you will get applications from people you are not aware of, you don't know anything about them, and it's the responsibility of this group to select the best person. So it's a relatively important position. Again, you want to select someone you have a fair degree of confidence in, will, number one, fulfill the activities and actually do the work, and someone whose judgment you respect, because this person will be participating in selecting people for all sorts of positions within ICANN.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Alan. I have a question. Is this a position that can be appointed by the leadership of the RALO, or do we have to be open to everyone?

ALAN GREENBERG:

This is a position appointed by the leadership, and again, it's not a popularity contest. It really has to be someone you feel you're comfortable in appointing. In some RALOs, they pick one of the leadership members. In others, they take someone who is not a leader but have shown themselves to be a responsible person.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay. So I will –

ALAN GREENBERG:

You can certainly ask for people who are interested in it, and then I would suggest that you and Glenn discuss it, and perhaps with

discussions with the individuals, come up with someone you feel comfortable who could be one of you, or could be someone else.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Let's do that then, and I'm pretty sure we can do this very fast. Is there anybody in the call who is interested in participating in this as far as this group? I don't hear anyone.

ALAN GREENBERG: You probably want to do an e-mail call, even if it's only for a day or so, just to make sure that we're not ignoring people who might not be on this call.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Alan. So I will do that. We are running out of time here, let me see what time it is. And we have many things to cover, but I want to jump – since I want to cover this, I want to cover Item 12, which is additional budget request, which Heidi can tell us more about it since she brought it up in the chat [inaudible]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, I'm here. Hi, Eduardo. Hi, everyone.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, and we're starting this 35 minutes after starting the recording on this call.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you for that. I apologize, I came in late, and I did hear a little bit about I believe it was additional budget request during the discussion on the Finance and Budget Subcommittee, but this program is a program that ICANN runs every year for every fiscal year, and the process is again each AC, SO and SG – which are stakeholder groups – can put in a request. I believe last year, FY18 or this current fiscal year, it was around \$500,000 altogether for all of the requests. And how that works is that, again, for each of the groups, you can put in requests. We do ask that this for the At-Large it goes through the At-Large or the FBSC, so anybody who has a request, please work with your RALOs and particularly the FBSC representatives. Then from the process standpoint, the kickoff will be December 15th, and we will be posting the material, the information from the Finance department from within ICANN, but the process will be then working with the FBSC to set out the timeline. We'll be letting all of the RALOs know about that. Then again, probably in January, the FBSC will be reviewing all of the requests coming in from the five RALOs and looking at them. Oftentimes, they'll provide feedback on those that might need a little bit more input, detail into the request, and then towards the end of January, there will be an agreement from the FBSC on which ones to accept and which ones to not accept or reject. Those who are accepted, those requests that are accepted will be submitted to the ICANN Finance department who will then look at those, and there's an internal process, a review of those. And then by the time that the fiscal year '19 budget is approved, the additional budget requests will also be approved by the Board on that.

That's the basic elements of that. I'll go ahead and try to put in the workspace that we have for the fiscal year '19 activities. Right now, again because we don't have the timeline from the Finance department, it's not that full. So, are there any questions on that?

EDUARDO DIAZ: So again, this is for the FY19 budget, right?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct, that's fiscal year '19, and I'm going to see if I can quickly put in – have this information here on the fiscal year '19. And I also just want to raise your attention to that we also have fiscal year '18 requests that were approved, and now our time – we are working with the various people to implement them, and we don't need to do that today, but it would be useful to have a look at all the ALAC and the RALO fiscal year '18 approved budget requests to make sure that they are being worked on and in progress to be completed by the end of June 2018. And I'll put that page in as well. Thank you very much.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Marita, please, your hand is up. Do you have [inaudible]

MARITA MOLL: Hello, just wanting to see – if I'm understanding this correctly, if you're looking for any budgetary item that would be in the fiscal year 2019, you have to present something now, or in the near future. Do you have

to be part of the Finance and Budget Subcommittee, or are there opportunities to present ideas? That's the [inaudible]

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Hi, Marita. No, you do not have to be a member of the FBSC at all. They're the group that reviews the requests coming in from the RALOs. So they're just a first step before it goes into the ICANN Finance department. But anybody can put in a request – again, we're asking that you do work with your region, your RALO, to see if it makes sense. If the RALO supports it, it's an aspect, it's a benefit that the RALO can support that.

And I do just want to make a point, Marita, because you're reminding me of what we did last year [you put in] a request. Now, requests for things like printing and brochures, flyers, things like that, there's a bucket within the communications budget that does that. So you don't necessarily need to put in a request for things like that. You could work with us, with staff, and we'll work with our Communications department to get you those brochures and things like that.

MARITA MOLL:

Thank you, Heidi. Just on the same point, I'm already thinking ahead to the fact that ICANN 2019 is in Montreal, and some of us are trying to get together and think what we might do. So we would have to think that up pretty quickly and get some funding requests in [fairly quickly.] Is that correct?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, because the Montreal meeting is going to be in two years. That's going to be in the next fiscal year, that's fiscal year '20. So that's another fiscal year away. We're in fiscal year '18 right now, we're now looking at the fiscal year '19 requests, so your Montreal, you're looking at fiscal year '20.

And just also, for those who might not be aware, that's when the ATLAS III, the third At-Large summit is being planned, pending budget approval, because that will have another summit. That means one representative or some members of all ALSes will be at the summit in Montreal. So you have time, basically.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Joly, please, and with this, I'm going to close the discussion on this. Go ahead.

JOLY MACFIE: My experience of this was there was a limited amount of money coming for the RALO, and when we put in our applications for some money, we were basically taking it out of the pocket of other NARALO people. So we took away our applications if we talk about the [inaudible]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Joly, I think what you're talking about is another – actually, it was an approved budget request. That was for RALO discretionary funding. That program came out of the additional budget request, and yes, that particular request, there is a set amount for NARALO, which is \$2000. So in that case, yes. But we're talking about the overall additional budget

request where there is a bucket. Yes, there is a bucket, but it's for all advisory committees, supporting organizations, stakeholder groups, etc. And it's a much bigger budget than what you have for that particular project, that program.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Thank you so much.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I hope that's clear. I'm happy to sort of work offline with you, Joly, about that.

EDUARDO DIAZ: is that clear, Joly? Okay, well, I'm closing this item. We just have a few minutes before running out of time, and I don't know if I want to get into this Item 12 which has to do with the ICANN61. We can start talking about it, and when we run out of time, then we'll take it offline somehow. There are many items here that I can do offline, no problem. They don't require that much discussion. But [inaudible] finish with the whole list that we have here.

So let's go to Item 13. Item 13 is a discussion about ICANN61. There are two open travel slots, and correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going to be here in Puerto Rico, and Javier Rua is going to be here in Puerto Rico, so we will not require travel budget. However, Javier and I, we're requesting to use the hotel and per diem in Puerto Rico. So Heidi or Alan, can you tell us what has been done before when these things happen?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Go ahead, Alan, I see your hand is raised.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Alan, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. If you and Javier will be using the hotel and per diem – which is not unreasonable – then we can make the travel part of the allocation available to some other traveler, either from North America if the RALO chooses, or the RALO can make it available more widely through ALAC. Of course, that person would have to pay for their own hotel and other costs, because we only have funding for the one half, for the part of the travel.

On occasion, we have seen cases where the Global Stakeholder Engagement people have provided the hotel to complement that. That doesn't happen very often, and I don't think we could count on it. It is a possibility that has happened in the past. So essentially, we're looking for someone who will avail themselves of the travel but still have to provide their own hotel facilities.

EDUARDO DIAZ: If I hear you well, this budget money can be used for ALAC to bring not necessarily people from the region but can be from different regions, and all the RALOs?

ALAN GREENBERG: Normally, the RALO has first option if it's a RALO position and both the ALAC slots and the RALO leadership are RALO discretion. Should the RALO decide for whatever reason – and there are various reasons that on occasion the RALO decides not to allocate it, then it can be made available outside of the region. Certainly in North America, we have the interesting situation where the airfare in most places in North America are likely to be considerably less than the hotel costs will be. So there may well be benefit in allowing it to be used from some other region where the airfare is a more substantive issue. But that is a decision of the RALO.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. I will speak with Glen and see what we're going to do with this. But this type of thing is allowed, that's the important thing.

ALAN GREENBERG: It is allowed.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: To be clear, they are ALAC slots which we delegate responsibility to the RALO for, so they can be returned back to the ALAC, should the RALO decide.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Thank you so much. We are very close to the top of the hour, and I don't think we're going to have time to discuss anything else. So Judith, please, you have the floor.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I was wondering, is it possible to combine two airfare slots into one airfare and one hotel? Because I know other constituencies do that. They combine the different slots to create more opportunities, like they would have one hotel slot, one flight slot, and I'm wondering if we can combine two flight slots into one whole slot.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Alan, please, do you have an answer for that?

ALAN GREENBERG: In the past when we have requested that, the answer has been definitively no. We can ask again. Sometimes the rules change. Judith, if you're aware of specific cases where that has been done, please tell me and Heidi privately. And I have to leave this call for another one right now, but thank you. Bye.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Well, we are very close to the top of the hour. I just want to thank everyone for participating in this call. I know the agenda is quite a little bit confusing the first time, this is the first time we've seen this type of

agenda and discussion flow, but I assure you that the third or fourth [iteration,] we will see how this works, and it will make it easier for all of us to understand what's going on from month to month, so we will have a flow.

And there are some things here that I know we can do offline and we can do them quickly, so I will try to get items here that are meaningful and that we can discuss in an hour. So with that, Alan, is that an old hand or a new hand? Alan?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I think he left the call.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Oh, he left the call.

HEIDI ULLRICH: [inaudible] So old hand.

EDUARDO DIAZ: So I want to thank everyone for bearing with me in this first meeting that I'm leading for the region, and if you have any feedback on this or questions, just please send me a note offline, and I will be glad to hear what your comments are. So other than that, thank you so much. We're done.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Eduardo. Well done. Thanks, everyone.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. Bye.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thank you. Bye.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Bye, all.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, everyone. The meeting has now been adjourned, and the audio will be disconnected. Please do remember to disconnect your audio either on the phone bridge or in Adobe Connect. Thank you very much for joining today's call, and have a good morning, afternoon or evening. Bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]