
BOBAN KRCIC:

Hi, you all. Welcome back. Well, for me, it's the first day in the office after a long, long vacation of three weeks. And yeah, a lot of stuff and a lot of different tasks. I hope we would go quickly through our phone conference today.

I thank Yvette [inaudible] some action items or some items to prepare in agenda. And yeah, I would like to discuss with you what's [the actual state]. I think that we are missing here. And you will provide to the agenda. That is [free].

Otherwise, I would like to start with the first point on the agenda. And with the final [inaudible] on both documents, I spoke with Zarko. Also I would say, and he said to me that you were talked about the documents and the draft that we provide you after our Belgrade workshop, and yes, for me it's interesting. Is there any feedback regarding the work plan, regarding the audit plan? Do you see some open issues? Do you have points that we may be not have insighted? So yeah. I would like to give you the floor to give feedback. Kaveh?

KAVEH RANJBAR:

Hello. Yes. So just want to say that actually, because there was a Board workshop, so we found time to quickly go through the list of the drafts – all these drafts. The ICANN Board really thinks many of the persons are very much outside of SSR2. So we are planning to actually in a few days write that down for you and officially commit it back to this SSR2. We think many of the questions – and they will highlight each question that are outside of remit of the SSR2.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

BOBAN KRCIC: So do we have an overview of the questions or of the topics that are not in the scope of our mandate? Because in the actual document, I didn't see anything. It would be great if we can get a list or something else of the ICANN that are not in the scope.

KAVEH RANJBAR: You're right. And we are still discussing that here in the Board but to be quick and give you an informal but high-level thing, we think Sections 1, 3, 5, and 7 are irrelevant. Subsection – but the rest like 2, 4, and 6 are okay. Except 2.7 and 2.8. This is the current discussion we have. We want to make sure that we understand each question properly and not excluding – for no reason but yeah, I think the high-level take is Sections 1, 3, 5, and 7 do not fit within the remit of SSR2.

BOBAN KRCIC: Okay. So it's more than half of the stuff that we find. Okay. Thanks for the information. Anything else?

KAVEH RANJBAR: No. From my side, we are working to prepare a report as soon as possible because we know you're planning agenda and all. We want to also be fast to facilitate your work. So as soon as they have the final document, you will get it. Definitely we can do this.

BOBAN KRCIC: Okay perfect.

KAVEH RANJBAR: Yeah, thanks.

BOBAN KRCIC: Anything else? Okay. Then I would say we will wait for the document and then maybe put this topic on the list and discuss this, how to move forward or organize a conference call for the beginning of next week or use our regular conference call to decide what we will do in L.A. and whatnot. So yeah, it's timely. It's not really a problem but yeah. We have to work on it.

So I would propose if you got the document in the following days, then we should organize a conference call or something else to decide how to move forward in this topic. And yes, below on that, we have to decide what's going on with [other] items we have in today's agenda. Because they are all based on the full scope of all action items we proposed in the draft. We have [actual] seven so... And Denise said, "Okay, four of them are not relevant or are not in our scope." Then we have only three at the end. And then we also organized these three.

So I know we can go through each item on the agenda or we can say, "Okay, let's wait for the documents from the Board and then decide how to move forward in this topic." So what do you propose, [your] team? [inaudible] in this team. Denise is here. Denise, what do you think we should do or what's a good way to move forward in this topic?

DENISE MICHEL: I'm sorry, Boban. Which topic?

BOBAN KRCIC: Yeah, we have [inaudible] from the Board.

DENISE MICHEL: Can you hear me?

BOBAN KRCIC: Yeah, that's most of the sections are not relevant for us. And yeah, the question is what we should do now today in our conference call with the open items. Should we only focus on 2, 4, 6, or should we wait?

DENISE MICHEL: Well, I think we need the 4.

BOBAN KRCIC: Then decide how to move forward.

DENISE MICHEL: Yeah. I think this group needs to move forward with this work plan. And the co-Chairs and the full teams need to address any such issues like what the Board raises.

There seems to be a strong feedback. Perhaps people can use their phones or computers. I'll try again.

So if the Board has concerns about the remit of the work of the Review Team that needs to be addressed by the full Review Team. But this group needs to move forward with this work. And of course, fundamentally this is an independent community review. I think [inaudible] from the Board, the SOs and ACs and [inaudible]. We take our mandate from the Bylaws and laid it out in the charter and work plan. The Board has now some issues with what we're doing, certain [inaudible] group is and it's working as planned then maybe popping up in L.A. We need to move forward unless [inaudible] until some other decisions are made.

BOBAN KRCIC: Thanks, Denise. It was really –

DENISE MICHEL: Do I need to repeat? Do I need to repeat what I said?

BOBAN KRCIC: Hello?

DENISE MICHEL: This is Denise. Do I need to repeat what I said?

BOBAN KRCIC: No, not really. It was really difficult to hear you and it wasn't clear enough. I don't understand, I'm sorry.

Perfect, okay. Okay. So now, Denise is typing while I'm speaking. First of all, let's focus on the items in 2, 4, 6, and let's organize it to move forward in this topic. So I would say we have defined work items and we prepared structure in Trello. And [inaudible] effort to create that part and if you go to the link on Trello.com, we will find all topics inside. Yvette, could you please go to the URL, to Trello board?

YVETTE GUIGNEAUX: Sure, but let me go into that. I think the best way for everybody is for me to share my screen. So give me a second here. I will go ahead and get that done. There we go. Can you see it clearly?

BOBAR KRCIC: Yes. Yes, perfect.

YVETTE GUIGNEAUX: You're welcome.

BOBAR KRCIC: So what we see now is the [best part] with all items. We have some work and we have two action items that are pending, which [inaudible] in the work plan from the ICANN SSR. You will find your graphs. You will see the people who are working on it. It's me, James, and Zarko. And the second item is finalization [on L.A.] workshop and to [inaudible].

So the other four or five action items are listed in the back [inaudible] items. And the rest of them – and what I will do is first run – this runs

ICANN Information Security Management. This was the first item. So we will focus on ICANN Business Continuity Management, on ICANN Security Incident Management, and [Refund] processes. And on six months should be ICANN process around [inaudible] registry operated [inaudible] concerning the new gTLD delegation transition process. That's the item that [is in] work.

I would propose the team members who are in the conference call today to identify one of the topics here that are in the scope of our mandate and our Bylaws and to only identify it. We should have forever a topic here a minimum of two people from the team, and one of them who is responsible for the whole topic.

So we could organize parallel interviews of something else at the ICANN workshop and we have one responsible person from our team who is responsible for the output. So [he has leads]. And he is also at the end the responsibility to deliver the output to the rest of the team and to create that report. I start this so take a look at the work item of ICANN processes are on the [inaudible] operators that are James and me inside. And we are working with Jennifer to identify one or two – [they work], talk to them.

We should organize or we should have on every task a minimum of two members. So I will let ICANN Business Continuity Management – so Kerry-Ann, Denise, and Zarko, feel free to [check] one of them. Here we have inside #2, #4, and #6. The Business Continuity Management, Security Incident Management, and Response Processes. And yes, third one is ICANN processor on [inaudible] operated so that a minimum of

two people from our subteams have at the end or has at the end one they decided topic.

So that one of the action items, these identify what the best for you where you have good feeling, we develop some questions in the [inaudible] and yeah, it's up to you to create more of them or to say, "Okay, that's a good day to start." And then we will see how the works will move forward and then create it onsite. So that's how we organize it.

And yeah, the first comment is from Kerry-Ann. She would accept the Business Continuity and Risk Management and work on agenda [inaudible] [responsibility]. Perfect.

So that's what you have at the end. I can do at the moment... so the only thing you have to do is go to the Board and go to Business Continuity Management and as member – not Jennifer. Here we have Kerry-Ann, yes. And what we need is someone who is responsible for the topics and ideas to use [label] function.

So with the times labeled in Trello, put some names there and highlight them with a color and yeah, why not. So that's how it works. So at the end of the day, we should have a minimum of two members and – where's Zarko? Zarko has also something to do. Okay.

And Business Continuity Management is – it's fine, we have a minimum of two members and we have members who have a [lead] in the [inaudible] responsible for the output. Now we can move forward and I'll go create another – waiting for more. Waiting. Response.

I [have] breaking your line after pending and hear the name waiting for Board Response and I will put them – 1, 2, 3, and 5. 7 and 5. And so we have three topics related in the [backlog] and one in work that actually [just goes]. Okay. Any questions related to this topic?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I think I finally got in. Can anybody hear me?

BOB KRCIC: Perfect. Yes.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Excellent.

BOB KRCIC: Okay. Denise can help with – yes, 5 and 7. 6 is only the scope. And I will put your name in the board. So it's number 6. Member Denise. Okay, perfect.

Any questions regarding this topic? Okay, [Nolan] has also wrote something. I can help with 1, 4, 5, 6, and 7. 1 is out of scope. 5 is out of scope. 7 is out of scope. So I will give the number 4 and then... [Nolan], are you here? Yes, you are. Perfect.

So is [Ameen] also in the conference call? Okay. I will give you... So once we have, we've done it. Perfect. Three topics and four that are in discussion. And we will wait or receive [it] from the Board. Okay, great. Back to the conference call. Denise? Please go ahead.

DENISE MICHEL:

Yes. I am concerned with what seems to have just transpired about – it's really not an appropriate process for some sort of [inaudible] at this point in our work process so you know, why don't we decide the issues that the subgroup is suggesting is out of scope. These issues were [inaudible] the entire team in scope based on the Bylaws that indicated as in scope of within the charter. That pertains [inaudible] scope in the work plan.

In terms of how an independent review by the ICANN community, it's really not appropriate for the [inaudible] to come in halfway through an independent review team's work. And so this particular issue that they don't want the team to address and [inaudible] can send that verbal request, maybe use to the LA meeting at [inaudible]. It's [inaudible].

So, I want to raise this concern and, of course, it's a concern that [many] aspects the work of the [inaudible] plus the work of the team overall and also not just the Security Review Team but [inaudible] the work of other independent community Review Teams, what the Security Review Team does [being] the first review held under the [inaudible] IANA-related transition-related Bylaws could set the stage for how independent or not other community Review Teams are, as well.

So, consider this quite a serious issue and I think it's important to very quickly understand in very specific terms [inaudible] concern or perspective is but equally important what the teams [inaudible] is on these issues. Thank you.

[JAMES GANNON]: Hi Boban. It's James. Can you put me in the queue, please?

BOBAN KRCIC: Hi, James. Sorry. Can you please repeat your question?

[JAMES GANNON]: Could you just put me in the queue after whoever's at the end of the queue. I'm just on the conference call.

BOBAN KRCIC: Yeah, I will. Sorry. I will give you a call, yes. You can [crawl] in the chat and you'll figure it out.

[JAMES GANNON]: That's my problem. I'm not in the chat, so.

BOBAN KRCIC: Okay. I will give you a call later on.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [inaudible] after me. Hi, everybody. I had kind of missed what transpired that would have been resulted in Denise's comment but I think I kind of picked up the tail end of it based on the chat and the information that was typed in the chat. And I wanted to probably reiterate and support Denise's concern.

I can tell you my initial reaction when I saw the chat when I joined the call. Was it makes me – we've been trying to get our work done. It has been [inaudible] for a while and I think two, as we're still trying to figure it out and get a little momentum on our work and especially leading up to the L.A. meeting, it is a little bit disheartening, as Denise probably pointed out, to feel as now we're being cut back or restricted.

We spent quite, I think, the first few months of the team being together ensuring that our [inaudible]. It was one of the things that I think we spent most of the time doing before even begin working and I think I missed probably the last big plenary face-to-face but I think coming on to that meeting, I think everyone was [inaudible] based on the [inaudible] subteams that were created what our scope is at this point.

I would probably, again, support Denise's comment that is something that we would probably flag. I can only comment based on what I saw in the chat. As I said, I wasn't privy to the conversation but I'm just going off the chat and I think the message going back probably to the Board would have to be that we spent quite a deal of time due to our scope of work, which was circulated, worked on as a plenary and approved by also the team and I would really hope that this is respected and understood that we do understand our scope and we'll be working within the [inaudible] subject to working with Legal to confidentiality document, etc., but I think we've done a lot working on our scope and I think that should be at least respected and [followed] is the word that keeps coming back to me in some shape or form. And something that if it does come up again, we can probably discuss in more detail and more formal and probably at the plenary level and not at the subteam level.

BOBAN KRCIC:

Thank you [inaudible]. Anything else? [inaudible] typing. Okay. Yvette, could you please change the screen to the agenda? Okay. That's what [inaudible] reminder regarding the action steps and yeah, I have two points that are on the agenda. One is the final version of the NDA forwarded in Jennifer's mail. We have a point [inaudible] tomorrow in the call on the agenda. So, I would say, "Okay, let's talk about that in the SSR team and in our subteam."

Yeah. We need the final version and we would like to sign it and accept [inaudible] provided to sign it. And again, preparation for the workshop. Where to discuss about the issue or to the feedback we got from Kaveh and I will propose let's move to the list with this topic and I will also address it in or I will talk to Kaveh to address it by e-mail [inaudible] in the discussion and the list so everybody is also able to do comment here. We will see what other concerns are and we have to decide how to move forward. It's a little time [inaudible] because we planned the workshop for two weeks, so yeah, the time is up and running and we have a limited time and yeah, I'm with Kerry-Ann and Denise.

The Board has a lot of time yet to give [inaudible]. We have the draft or we have work plan sent in a few weeks or month and yeah, we should discuss with them what is [inaudible] scope and what is out of scope because this was one of the questions we had from first day. So yeah, now after six months, yeah, for me it's still unclear what's in the scope and what's not in the scope yet because of the feedback here from Kaveh.

So, I will work in the chatroom, Norm. Your question the last version of the NDA. Jennifer sent yesterday or today a mail with an attachment and there you will find the final draft of the NDA, and yeah, [you] should [all] find it, please give me a quick mail and I will send it to you.

And Denise, yeah, we could. We can do another call on this or of this subgroup and I would suggest, yeah, to do that when we have the feedback from the Board because we have to discuss it. Yeah. We have to do agree on it, how to move forward, yeah, and so I would propose, we're waiting now for the feedback or we can try to Doodle a time slot for a conference call for the next week and then hope to get the feedback as soon as possible, yeah.

So, ICANN staff, it would be great if you could assist, yeah, and try to find one time conference call slot, let's say, one hour maybe at the beginning of the next week and we should or we hope that we have in the feedback from the Board until this time slot to discuss it. Yeah, why not next Monday. For me it's fine. I don't know how it is with the other members.

Should we agree on it to organize a conference call for the next Monday? Same time, same place, maybe. Yeah. [inaudible] on the next Monday [inaudible].

[JAMES GANNON]:

I don't know if I can make that.

BOBAN KRCIC: Okay. It will be difficult. Okay, so we will Doodle it and try to find something maybe Monday and Tuesday and two days and with different slots and, hopefully, find. Yeah, why not? Wednesday of course is fine. Okay. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Two or three time slots and please [do a] Doodle until the end of this week. And in preparation for the workshop at ICANN, I have [inaudible] to say we have to sign the NDA to get information. For the [inaudible] team, yeah, it's important, yeah, to know what the actual Security, Stability and Resilience the framework is that is ICANN using and we also have to understand the Risk Management Framework. Both documents are available and I can also share them or Zarco will share them and please take a look at it. Try to understand them, yeah, and quicker than for the workshop in L.A.

And at the end, last but not least, prepare a questionnaire on the respective topic. We have the list in Trello. You can use Trello, you can use the draft of the question that Zarco and I developed, so feel free to use the utilities you have. If you have any questions, I suggest drop me a mail via the list and yeah, we will be happy to work on it and to prepare it from our side, and to have a good workshop in L.A. [Larisa?]

[JAMES GANNON]: Hi, Boban. Can I ask one question?

BOBAN KRCIC: Yeah, sure.

[JAMES GANNON]: Is Kaveh on the call with us?

BOBAN KRCIC: No, not more. She's on the plane, yeah. She had to [go], so.

[JAMES GANNON]: I have an immediate question that we need to ask of the subteam is has the Board directed ICANN staff not to work with us on the topic? I'm totally in the dark here but have they directed staff not to work with us on these topics or is this just a suggestion from the Board? I think that's an important thing to clarify before we take any further steps at all, to be honest, because if we're going into a situation where the Board has come along and said staff are not to work with you on these topics, that's very different to the Board merely making a suggestion.

BOBAN KRCIC: Denise and Larisa. Denise, are you on?

DENISE MICHEL: If Larisa has an answer, please, I'd like to let her [inaudible].

LARISA GURNICK: Denise, hi. Actually, my hand was up earlier just to make a point on the NDA is that it would be important for people to sign, execute the NDA prior to coming to L.A. for [inaudible] participate in conversations with the subject matter experts on the topics that might end up touching on confidential issues, so that was the point that I wanted to make.

DENISE MICHEL: Shall I go, Boban? Can you hear me?

BOBAN KRCIC: I can hear you, Denise.

DENISE MICHEL: Great. So, regarding the NDA, since it was just raised, my understanding is that for those of us whose legal counsels have not yet finished affecting the NDA and are not able to sign it, we can still participate in the meeting, but if a particular topic that requires an NDA arises, we could step out of the room.

So, I appreciate if staff could confirm that, I guess, on the e-mail list, that all team members can participate in all of these meetings but if they haven't signed an NDA and if a confidential piece of information is going to be raised and they can step out of the room and come back in when nonconfidential information is addressed, I'd appreciate staff addressing that point on the e-mail list and back to James's point, my understanding of how these independent community Review Teams are structured and my understanding of the Bylaws that govern our work as well as our scope, charter, work plan, and all the work that this subgroup has [done to date], we are within scope and it is our responsibility to carry out this work.

My understanding is that it's not the Board's place to insert itself into this work and unilaterally decide that some topic previously indicated by the team as on our plate and within scope, are now out of scope, and so my personal position is that this team should address all of the topics

and address all of the topics in L.A. and if something changes, it will be changed by the full team and this issue and particularly the issues that Kaveh started to raise on this call need to be documented on the full team e-mail list and they need to be addressed there, not in individual conversations or in a smaller subteam setting if the Board of Directors has problems with what this team is doing, it needs to be put in writing and the full team needs to be address it. Thank you.

[JAMES GANNON]: Hi, Boban. If I can just come back on that.

BOBAN KRCIC: Yeah, sure.

[JAMES GANNON]: Yes, so I fully agree with Denise. Important for everybody to understand that this is a Bylaws-mandated review. We are not subject to the direction of the Board, which was why I wanted to make the distinction. The Board can, through the CEO, direct staff to not work with us. That's within their own mandate. However, our mandate is directly from the Bylaws, which the Board is also subject to. They're not above the Bylaws and so being very honest, my suggestion is we continue as we've designed our review and that is our job as independent reviewers and we only really run into an issue if the Board direct staff through the CEO not to engage with us, at which point we have a bigger problem that we need to take to the overall community.

BOBAN KRCIC: Fully agreed, James. Perfect. Yeah, first time [inaudible]. It sounds good to me, your answer and your comment to Denise, and Denise also, as well. Yeah. For me. It's also fine, agreed to them. Well, I would say anything else on the agenda for today? Yeah. We could maybe discuss this topic tomorrow with all our member, so maybe there are any comments, yeah, from people who [inaudible] with this team and also new Bylaws. So, I would propose, yeah, to put it on the agenda to discuss it tomorrow if you have time for it, and at the end, we will see what we will get from the Board and how we will deal with it, as I fully agreed on the Denise and James's comment.

Oh, yeah, Norm, we could send it to you and maybe you can understand it. So, anything else? Do we have another point, issues? Do we need more clarification on something else? Do the ICANN staff need some information for the organization of the ICANN workshop in L.A. or everything set and clear and we are waiting only for the day in L.A.?

[JAMES GANNON]: And if I can just ask Denise, can we get this on the agenda tomorrow as the first item so that we have a sufficient amount of time to discuss this? Obviously, it might have been that the bulk of the rest of the time, I'm happy to compress that as much as we need to deal with this issue.

BOBAN KRCIC: I think she [inaudible]. So, Karen, anything else in preparation for the workshop or everything else clear and [inaudible] anything from the subteam? [inaudible].

KAREN MULBERRY: Yeah. I believe that we had requested that by today, we would have a list of all the staff we would be meeting with that would be agenda that we developed. I just wanted to confirm that we will be receiving that from staff today.

LARISA GURNICK: Denise, I will follow up on that and see if the staff has already been confirmed. I know that most of the slots have been confirmed and I will follow up on the list with the status on that.

KAREN MULBERRY: Thanks. A request and actually our agreement with staff was even if all the staff participating have not been confirmed, that we would receive an update of all the confirmations and who is pending. So, if we could get that by close of business, that would be really helpful.

BOBAN KRCIC: Okay, thanks. Anything else? Okay. So, we have some action items and, yeah, thank you all for the [inaudible] and yeah, see you tomorrow, yeah, on our plenary call and we'll discuss the topic and see how to move forward and wishing all happy Monday. For me, it's evening, so I have [inaudible] party and so I'm off and if you need something, James, just give me a call and I will talk to you. So, see you tomorrow, thanks all, and bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]