
MARIO ALEMAN: Thank you, Glenn. This is Mario for the record. I'll be managing today's call. Just getting ready to record the meeting as you suggested.

Good morning, good afternoon and good evening everyone, welcome to the NARALO teleconference call on Monday, 9th of October at 19:00 UTC. On the participant list we have on the English Channel: Glenn McKnight, Susannah Gray, Allan Greenberg, Tom Lowenhaupt, Eve Edelson, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Gordon Chillcott, Judith Hellerstein, Matthew Rantanen, Joly MacFie, Marita Moll and John More. We have no participants on our French Channel and we have listed apologies from Javier Rua-Jovet.

From our staff side we have Silvia Vivanco, Heidi Ulrich, Joe Capatano and myself, Mario Aleman, doing the call management today. From our interpreters we have Jacques and Aurlie on the French Channel. I would like to remind to all participants to please state your name before speaking, not only for the transcription purposes but also for our interpreters. With this, I will turn it back over to you, Glenn. You can please begin the call.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you. Welcome, everyone. This is Glenn Mcknight. I just want to ask, Mario, anyone on Adigo? My question, Mario, was, is anyone on Adigo? I know you gave the list, I just want to make sure.

MARIO ALEMAN: Yes, thank you. On Adigo we have yourself, Gordon and Silvia.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Great, thank you, Mario. Those who are on Adigo, you'll have to just interrupt because I won't be able to see your hand raised, you can waive it and I won't see it. We'll give you the green light to jump in if you need be. Welcome everyone and I'm going to turn right away to Silvia on 2.0, our action items and then we'll move through the agenda fairly quickly. Silvia, if you mind.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you very much, Glenn. First on action items, the first one was to organize Adigo to postpone today's call; that was completed and the call was maintained for today. The next one was for me, Silvia, to check if there are NARALO mailing cards available or if possible to reorder, so I coordinated with the com department and we ordered the mailing cards, and can confirm that we will have 250 mailing cards to be distributed in person at the Abu Dhabi meeting.

Next one for Glenn to send a call for membership for NARALO for the hot topics working group to discuss, to further develop the hot topics identified in New Orleans; and I think that for today [inaudible] agenda later on, and Glenn will be making a call for members. The next one, Glenn to setup a special purpose call for NARALO fellow and NARALO regional fellows in the NARALO region, and that already took place, so it's completed. Those are all the action items. Thank you, over to you, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you, Silvia. It's Glenn again. I'll try to mute each time, I'm on Adigo. If there's any interference or echo, please let me know, I'll try to do the best I can. Thank you/ Any questions for Silvia, can you pop your hand up and then I can recognize you and I'll put you on mute, myself mute, I should say.

So there's no questions for Silvia? Okay, so I'm going to turn it to item number three, our community announcements from each of the ALSes. If anyone has anything to say, please put your hand up. Okay, the chair recognizes Joly MacFie. Go ahead, Joly, and I'm muting.

JOLY MACFIE: I just want to say that we did a cybersecurity conference last week in New York and Olaf Kolkman, who's the chief internet technology officer of the Internet Society flew in and made a talk on the future of trust, which was a good sort of wide overview of, you know, we've been keeping with the Internet Society global report about the future of the internet. I'm working this week on transcribing that and I'll post it to the [inaudible] discussion.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you, Joly. As soon as that becomes available, we'll share that link. Any other future events, Joly, for ISOC New York?

JOLY MACFIE: I actually have quite a lot coming up. The radical network conference is four days, 18th -21st of October. We've got Silicon Harlem Conference on the 27th of October. I can look at my calendar, but I will post notices.

GLENN MACKNIGHT: Thank you, Joly. Anyone else have any events that they'd like to share? Okay, doesn't seem to have anyone else popping, I'll just look on the chat. Susannah says everything's pretty quiet on her end; many of us participated in the ISOC Inter Communities event. In fact, I was at the LA event, which was quite an extensive gala. A series of events, including the under 25 and we had also -- in fact, I'll probably turn back to Joly in a second for him to talk about the only North American nod, which was the ISOC event in New York.

I had to practice on my Turkish with Yazim and Evan because I had at 3 o'clock in the morning, to be the host for the ISOC node in Istanbul. We went around the clock with various different nodes around the world. It was a very successful event because it was the 20th anniversary of ISOC. We had a very interesting event and then we had an excellent launch of the future of the internet document that was overseen by former BBC reporter, did a fantastic job. We should be very happy with the results of that event. I'm going to turn first to Judith as I believe Judith was at that event as well. Turning it over to you, Judith, and then I'm going to mute. Go ahead, Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, this is Judith Hellerstein for the record. Yes, I was at the event, that was a great event. But I also, as always, not only NARALO based. We have a blockchain special interest group within ISOC and we've been doing a bunch of events. We had a contribution at the ITU Over the Top consultation. We also submitted a chapter proposal on education that

was chosen by ISOC. They were doing a joint workshop with the IETF and we're going to do an event at ICANN60. If you're interested in getting involved in the blockchain [inaudible], please let us know, it will be great to have anyone. I will post a link in the chat for our website.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

I was just going to say, Judith or Joly, if either of you can talk about your nodes that you did in New York cause I know Avery was there as well. Did you want to speak on it, Judith? Go ahead, Joly.

JOLY MACFIE:

I'll have a go. I'm just posting a link which is for all videos from the community that were any good on it. The one that wasn't any good [inaudible] was your speech, was your talking, Glenn, they had audio problems on that. Otherwise, you'll find them there, including the translations of Tokyo and stuff. A lot of good quality stuff all round, you know, the nodes all around the world.

In New York, [inaudible] to everybody else who [inaudible] have a panel discussion, we just had a series of speakers and this included [inaudible] from Columbia University who was influential, autonomist in the early days of the internet, when the former days when it went commercial, whose opinions were [inaudible] at that time, and I thought he gave a very good -- he did a detailed analysis of the global internet society global report. It's worth seeing and I have in fact posted that.

They have received transcripts of all the nodes, the discussions, so I will be adding to all those YouTube videos that are on that playlist I just

gave you, I will be adding transcript links and they'll be one-bit list so that you can download everything so that you don't have to sit through hours and hours of video. All together it was quite a successful event. I'll just mention that the kickoff event, which is the 25 under 25, was really quite impressive, the number of people, the projects that they had involved.

GLENN MCNIGHT:

Great, thank you, Joly. It's Glenn again for the transcript record. I understand from Susannah, I wasn't aware of this, but one of the 25 under 25 was actually a member of her chapter. We actually had a -- as a trustee with ISOC, I had a chance to spend about two hours with each of the 25 under 25, finding exactly what they did and they had a showcase event at the LA event, so it was quite successful.

Before I'm going to ask Matt to talk about a forthcoming conference, I'll just give you a quick update. We had a special event, our ALS in our community to showcase off the grid power and mesh network at our six acre community garden, just before I went to the ARIN Event. We had over 300 people at our event and it was to showcase off the grid solar system and how we're actually monitoring with our greenhouse and we had community members within our community. It's an annual event with the city, where they showcase various different special buildings and events.

That was one of the biggest things we did this years in terms of outreach, in terms of a wider community to tell people what we're doing. That was one of our events and I can share with you a slideshow

and documentation on how we built the solar system. I'm going to turn to Matthew, cause he can talk about the forthcoming conference that ISOC is organizing in New Mexico. Matt, can you go ahead?

MATTHEW RANTANEN: Yeah, this is Matt Rantanen for the record. Are you okay?

GLENN MCNIGHT: Yes, go ahead.

MATTHEW RANTANEN: November -- let's see, 6, 8 and 9 of November, ISOC is hosting an event in Santa Fe, New Mexico and basically, it's the indigenous connectivity. It's focusing strictly on indigenous populations and their access to broadband. There's a two day workshop on the 6th and 7th where there's a lot of questionnaires and like how do you see your community using broadband, and that kind of a thing, and get your head around the concepts and what is your current situation.

And then, on the 8th and 9th is more a conference setup where there will be panels and speakers, and many plenaries and keynotes to address the issues that were brought up on the first two days. I will be involved with the last two days. I will be speaking and potentially moderating as well as basically just being there as a reference for experience in the community on community networking.

There's quite a good list of people. I think they're finalizing the agenda as we speak and they're probably going to make that public shortly, so it

should be fairly interesting. I've seen the rough of the agenda and it's two fun filled days of adventure that I'm participating in, and I think the pre-days should be pretty informative and a lot of hands on as well.

JOLY MACFIE: I do have my hand up, this is Joly. I will say that I have arranged for this to be live streamed.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Fantastic, Joly. You'll provide the link for that as well, correct? [AUDIO BREAK]

Joly, you'll provide the link to us?

JOLY MACFIE: I'm sorry, I had muted myself; yes, I surly will.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you. Anyone else for any other announcements? Okay, Marita, please.

MARITA MOLL: Sorry, just unmuting. Am I coming through properly?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: You start again, Marita. You broke up there a second ago. Go ahead.

MARITA MOLL: I hear it's totally breaking up. I just -- no, it's not going to work, I'll just let it go. I just wanted to say that Capital FreeNet, which is one of the original free nets in Canada and is in Ottawa and one of the biggest, celebrated its 25th anniversary on October the 28th and there was a big party at the city hall. I wasn't actually there, but I know this was a pretty big event for the people who were there. So I just thought I would throw that in.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you so much. Joly, is that an old hand or additional information before we move on? Okay, it's down. Okay folks, we're going to move along here. Thank you all for your community announcements and many of these things spill into the NARALO news. I'd like to ask Mario to post the picture up. We're going to move to 4.1 and as you can see on the board, the person second from the left is Garth.

I'd like to acknowledge Garth, I don't think Garth's on the call but I'd like to acknowledge the achievements that Garth has done. He was a very well organized and inspirational leader for our community as chair and then went on to being the ALAC representative for two years. He will not be joining us at the ICANN60, but we like to thank him for his service while acting. He'll continue to be an ALS member. New John is the ALS based out of Boston. Again, I'd like to acknowledge today the contribution that Garth has made to our community.

Okay, so I'm going to move on to the next item fairly quickly. We're talking the local discretionary funds. As reported in the last meeting, we had access to some of the funds. Very well spent by the ISOC Puerto Rico group to do the ARIN Outreach Initiative. This was before the horrible hurricanes. A very successful event according to our last report by Eduardo.

As you can see, it's a tough time still in Puerto Rico and I don't see anyone on the call today, but they used the money wisely, it was a very well thought out proposal. There is a bit of funds still left in that discretionary outreach fund, not a lot, I believe \$250 left in the kitty. But again, this is an opportunity left for us to have access to a small amount of money, it's not meant for similar to CROPP but it's something in your own backyard that you can utilize.

Okay, so is there any questions on these discretionary funds before we move on? No? Okay, I'm going to move on 4.3, ICANN Fellowship for ICANN60. We had a special meeting with the fellows that some of you are on the call today, but for years many of us pushed to have North America to be included in the ICANN Fellowship, and I guess eventually they heard us. They changed the fellowship program recently to be more inclusive. And I'm very pleased to announce that we have Alfredo Colleron from Puerto Rico, he'll be joining us; Matthew, who will be joining us; Susannah will be joining us, and Judith. Who else? Am I missing someone?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Destiny.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Destiny, how can I forget Destiny. Destiny is from ISOC Quebec. All four of them will be joining us and we'll be having daily meetings in the morning and scoping out what sessions will be a benefit to them. Jeffery Blackwell is our global indigenous fellowship individual that joined us on the call last week as well.

What we did in preparation for ICANN60, we had a special call for the fellows and Jeffery to talk about what to expect at an ICANN meeting, officially and unofficially. We had an extremely successful call, and again, we welcome their participation. They are familiar with our landscape but this is quite a unique situation. I'll ask Judith and I'll mute. Judith, is there anything you want to say about both programs?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I just posted in the chat that our other fellow, Ruben [inaudible] is from Latin America and he is very anxious to get involved in a lot of these issues. He's been already introduced on the LACRALO call and they made the connections with both Humberto and Maritza on that. We will also be meeting with them in Abu Dhabi. We have two calls and we're going to be starting shortly nominations for the ICANN Puerto Rico for the next fellowship, so look out for that and we'll be opening it up very shortly.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you, Judith. Any questions on either the fellowship program or global indigenous fellowship program from anybody? Okay, thank you.

And I'm going to welcome Leah and Eduardo, and I'm hoping Eduardo has audio cause he's on the agenda to talk about the NonCom in a few minutes. Just do a sound check, Eduardo, can you say something? Okay, I don't hear him, he might be muted.

Now I want to move to the most important part of this call today; it's the Special Discussion Process for Adoption of Rules of Procedures. I'd like to turn it over to Judith, and I'm going to turn to mute.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

I'm here, Glenn. I'm sorry, I was muted. [AUDIO BREAK]

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks, Eduardo. We'll turn to you later in the program. But we want you to bring up the topic of the rules and procedure, so can you put that up? As you know, we've been engaging in revising the rules and procedure and we've had a long discussion and I know each of you have reviewed it and seen it. We finalized everything, thanks for everyone's suggestions, and we want to bring it up for a vote to get everyone's agreement on it.

According to the rules, we have a 21-day announcement policy and then after 21 days we're going to have a big policy vote on that. But I want to turn it over to John More who's going to go over and run through the changes that were made. John, it's over to you.

JOHN MORE:

I'm not fully certain on whether we -- are we running through the detail changes once again or -- well, all right, anyway. What I'll do is, we'll look through -- I'll first start with the fact that we did further typing up of the definitions and typing up of the language with a lot of help from Allan and Judith really doing a lot of work on this.

The changes per se -- I'm not able to move the document from what I can see, so I'm not certain -- [CROSSTALK]. All I see is the first page. Now it's good, alright. We made some changes, they were similar to what was before. It was particularly typing up.

The first thing was to get the definitions correctly and to make them consistent throughout so that things would be clear and we wouldn't have any problems. The one thing we did in the purposes and principles in 2.1 was that we put in a proper reference to, "This needs to be in accordance of NARALO's MoU with ICANN so that if that changes that would need to be reflected in the future."

The other thing we did was we made clearer on the use of consensus, use on voting, and what are the appropriate percentages for different votes. One is that 35% on visions by consensus of the members in good standing, but the formal votes or elections whatever, would be 50% so that's contained in the 2.31 and on down. I'll stop at any time briefly if anyone raises a hand and wants to put in a question.

The next thing which we really looked at was that in 2.5 we made a slight change on when the transcriptions of things would be done in multiple languages. Allan brought in the black language which provides a little more flexibility so the purpose is clearly remains that NARLO is

multilingual, but given the needs or express desire for multilingual presentations in any done time there would be some flexibility on how much resources versus how many people were interested, but the documents and stuff, the constituent documents, will need to be in the different interpretations.

We also put in a provision 2.7 about where conflicts, that these rules of procedure shall prevail; the purpose here is that if there is a real issue we would want to come back to the NARLO membership for confirmation that it is understood that there needs to be a change rather than just have it happen to us. We made clear under membership the two classes, individual members and ALS members, and that all NARLO members are eligible to participate in the activities. We also provided for each of the ALS members in good standing that there be a one voting representative and one to two alternates.

So, each ALS should really appoint a couple people, certainly the one voting representative but then the alternates who can serve in the place. All alternates are eligible to be attending in various meetings and procedures, but if the voting representative is there, then the alternates do not have a vote.

We also made clear that the individual members vote is the body and have one voting representative, and they can also have one or two alternates. I don't believe that we have a lot of individual members at the moment, but I think that we would be eager to add individual members. Did someone want to ask a question here?

Okay. So we also looked into this question, there was an interesting issue raised about whether a voting representative of an ALS obviously could be removed or changed by the ALS who appointed that person. But would there be instances in which the NARALO membership could vote to remove an ALS's representative? And that actually a fairly extensive discussion, but because I pointed out, and others did too, that in activist membership organizations, where positions are [inaudible], and that it's important to have responsible voices.

It could be possible, highly unlikely, it could be possible in some instance an ALS representative would be so, I guess you might say, off base that there would be a reason to remove. As I said, this is something that is allowable. I know the ISOC provides for it, for its chapter representatives. So we left this in and have provided, though, that there has to be an opportunity for response and that it would really have to be done in a formal way.

So again, as I said, it's more of a safeguard than [inaudible]. I don't think there's anything in particular in the governance and annual meeting section, section 4, that just runs through who the different office is. The one thing we did make clear, is the differentiation between the ALAC members that get elected and the nomination to the NomCom. We have a right to nominate, but it is the NomCom that makes the decision as to who should be the NomCom representative.

We provided for the existing two officers. We also, in the course of that, made clear that, which has been the case, that the two officers, the chair, and the secretariat can, upon request and need, to fill some of the roles of the other offices. This has been a cooperative effort, I know

from personal experience that Glenn and Judith have operated that way but we wanted to make it, without saying they are interoperable, that this is something that makes use of the fact that we have only X number of people involved in the running. I don't see any other particular thing on that.

We clarified the elections. Now what is new here, is there is a continuing of the staggered elections of the ALAC members, but now we are extending that to the chair and the secretariat. And there's a provision allowing for the start-up of that. So the idea is, that you have a continuing body of people running. And we also provided, however, because certain circumstances can occur, that it could be that the chairmanship is vacant and the secretariat would like to run and would successfully run for it and we have provisions for filling the post that is vacated in that case.

We put in term limits but also some variations on what can happen. And we made sure that the timing was correct for when these votes should occur. We also provided that if there is only a single candidate, that the single candidate becomes elected to the position upon agreement, or however you want to put it. I think we have it announced by the chair, but the filling of the position is automatic. It does not require action. It is only something that is announced.

The major change, I would say, is really in section 7 where we decided that the syllabus standards be used for active membership. Rather than having them put into the Rules of Procedure, and therefore requiring amendment of the Rules of Procedures, if, as those standards evolve, and the activities of the NARALO might change, or the ALAC might come

up with its own different requirements as to what it thinks is active membership, that it would only be necessary for a committee to be the chosen to look at those standards and then recommend changes and report back. So it would not be the major effort that it takes to amend.

One of the things we made clear about the necessity for transparency, the necessity for keeping people informed. There's specific things that are set forth as to what the chair can initiate or take action with. I don't propose to run through those.

Then we had a whole procedural process for certification or loss of individual membership rights. Again, revisions are intended not to be used sparingly, but also to have clarity within, so that when the chair and the secretariat or working together really look at and call upon ALSes to be active. They have the standards, but also there's a procedure and an opportunity for the ALS member to respond. And again, I think the view here is that it's not intended to remove people but it's intended to encourage people to be active. Because that, in effect, is what we -- I think we recite this, the NARALO can only be effective if its members are active.

I think in the final report, we put in a provision for amending by 70%, that needs to be a fairly high standard for doing the amendment. And these will, as pointed out here, and these procedures will take effect when approved by the vote of not less than 70%, with a 20 days' notice in writing. Now Judith can go further into the procedures, but Glenn did make the announcement 21 days in advance, and I believe the voting will be open. And I don't have the date in front of me, in my mind. So now I'm ready to answer any questions, so I'll go over [inaudible].

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks. This is Judith Hellerstein. Thanks, so much, John, for your review. And also, as John stated, we put the minimum active membership standards in an appendix, so that we don't need to review entire documents if these change, based on the ALS criteria. So we want to make this as flexible as possible.

And to explain the voting thing, as it says in the NARALO Rules of Procedures, we need a 21-day announcement period. As a result, the voting will start on the 20th, I believe, and will continue for a week. And we may have the voting continue longer, depending if we have any problems, because ICANN staff will be travelling and so will not be able to as quickly watch and reissue ballots. So we might extend the time, if there are problems in the voting, we might extend the time to make sure that everyone is able to vote.

And we encourage people to do it earlier than later because they start travelling on the 23rd and 24th of Octobers. And so, we want to make sure that there are no problems. So either you vote early, or you vote late, because most of them will be in Abu Dhabi by the 26th. And so, the 26th and 27th won't have any problems, but we could have problems for a couple days in the middle.

And, just to clarify, yes, Susannah, we are voting on the PVS document. The document is no longer open for comment. It is enclosed for comment, that is why only issued a PVS for it, because it is closed for comment. But please vote, please look in your inboxes or your spam for the vote. The vote, again, will go to the ALS representative that has

been identified as a primary voting representative. And so, if you are confused about that, feel free to email staff and ask who that is, and staff can tell you. I don't know if anyone else has any other questions, but if so, please let me know.

And Dev, thanks for this little plug. He is testing out livestreaming on YouTube of the Adobe, so that we can make sure that it's available to mobile users. Because, previously, to get into mobile users, you have to go through a long connection process. So we are testing this out. So thanks, Dev. And also, thanks to everyone who commented on him, Javier, Eduardo, and Seth, and Luis, and everyone else who commented on him. Do you have any other questions? Please let us know. If not, we can go onto the next topic.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you, Judith. You also have to give yourself a pat on the back, Judith, you did a lot of work with John and it would be amiss to not mention Allan, in particular. Allan, basically, gave us the marching orders on this Rules of Procedures and we basically asked us, and I think we all were absolutely in tune with Allan's instructions, is to make this short and sweet and clear. And I think the document is an excellent document. Thank you, everybody for working on it. And I think it's a huge achievement.

But I do have to mention that the previous document was an excellent document, it had some loose ends. So I'm not going to dis the panels of the first version, but I think we have tightened up a number of things. And from my perspective and Judith's, we had some loose language on

the decertification process and I think that's been tightened up. And I think we have a great document to work through until the next time we have to do a revision. I see Allan's hand. Go ahead, Allan.

ALLAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. It's Allan Greenberg speaking. As everyone has said, a huge amount of work went into this and I think we're in pretty good shape going forward. To set expectations, there's no doubt we're going to find little glitches of things that we either did wrong or missed as we went forward.

So I think we can expect to see a small number of changes over the next year, year-and-a-half, as we go through all of the processes and make sure that we covered ourselves. But I think we're in pretty good shape right now to go forward and not have a lot of confusion or uncertainty in terms of how we operate. Looks good, and I'm looking forward to having it approved.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you so much, Allan. I think you're quite right. Marita, over to you, and then back to Allan.

MARITA MOLL:

Yeah. I just wanted to make a comment about how important this process is. I happen to be the first new person who was in the middle of a situation in which these, there were some misunderstandings between two groups about what was required between the NomCom and the ccNSO, with respect to people that the NomCom nominated.

And, clearly, it was a misunderstanding and it appears to be because things weren't properly elaborated in the bylaws and the procedures. It really is really, really important. I never could have understood how important it was until I ended up in the middle of it. So thanks to everybody for putting this together.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

For the transcript record, I really think that it was a great joint effort, but I have to highlight again, when we sat down and said, "How can we do this?" And it started back in February, and we announced it at our GA, and people have been plugging away at this. Particularly Judith and John would get together, and you know what, it's a shorter version of other RALO Rules of Procedures, but as Mark Twain, "If I had more time, I'd write a shorter letter." This is intent, this is concise, this is easy to read, and kudos to the pen holders. Back to you Allan.

ALLAN GREENBERG:

Just to note, we previously had two documents governing how we do things. One was called Operating Procedures, and one was called The Rules of Procedure for Normal Meetings, or something like that. In line with other parts of At-Large, we are calling these the Rules of Procedure. The document entitled the Rules of Procedure for Normal Meetings is largely obsolete at this point. And once we get these approved, we'll then go ahead and make sure that there's nothing in there that we need, and I'll either abolish that document or replace it.

But likely, it is going to pretty much disappear. And because there are conflicts between the two documents, because of the way they were

created, these new rules that we are talking about today have a provision saying it takes precedence if there is a conflict between the two. So we're not in a problem because we still have the two, but just serving notice that that will be happening in the near future. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Silvia, you did notice a couple of people. I think Joly was saying Avery is moving on. So we to definitely know who is the rep from ISOC DC, so the vote goes out. So, Silvia, did you want to talk? What's the expectations for big calls or any instructions for anyone?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes, Glenn, thank you very much. I just wanted to repeat what you already stated, that the beginning of the vote will be right before ISOC [inaudible] to Abu Dhabi. So please allow for some delay in travels routine. Number one; number two, please to everyone to make sure that you know that you are the voter, the person that has the ability to vote.

And then check your inbox, check your spam for those, because sometimes people say that they don't receive [inaudible], but they do. So double check. And then vote as early as possible, that helps a lot. While staff is working [inaudible] who's managing the vote, so she will be monitoring the vote. But at the same time, she will be preparing and working at Abu Dhabi at the ICANN meeting. So please take that into account. Thank you very much.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: We have a lot to cover in another nine minutes. Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: This is Judith Hellerstein for the record. I didn't have any questions. So I think we need to speed up for time. So that's why I will defer to others.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: In engagement, our first effort, which included the CROPP trip to the ARIN meeting. Unfortunately, because of the power problems and internet issues in Puerto Rico, we don't have a representative. So that was funded by Did someone want to ask a question here? [inaudible]. We'll be posting a report on that.

But in her absence, we had myself, which I was a fellow, Susannah, Eve, Leo, who actually lives relatively in a similar area -- a bit of a drive, I guess, an hour and a half drive from San Francisco to San Jose. But we had a group of us. Loris was a fellow, but she didn't, for whatever reason, maybe Matt could mention it, but she wasn't at the event. We also had Nancy Carter from ISOC Canada. So we had a very good contingent.

I could tell you, from my perspective, working with Ubelius, we focused on areas where we did not have any ALSes. So we have a very interested person from Alaska, we have a person from Alberta, and we talked to people in Minnesota. So we identified areas, based on our SWOT analysis, so we hope to have follow-up. That's part of our responsibility, is when you find a hot lead, to actually follow up with them. I know it's not part of the criteria, but I stressed at talking to

people is one thing, but following up and making sure they either apply as an unaffiliated or an ALS or not at all. So we hope to get three leads from the ARIN meeting.

I'll just turn to Susannah or Leah or Eve, did you have any comments about the ARIN event? I don't see any hands up.

SUSANNAH GRAY:

Yes. Hi Glenn, it's Susannah. No real comment, it was just very useful for us to attend a home meeting, so we didn't have to travel or spend a lot of money and time getting somewhere. So it was good for us to be there and meet with the community and also meet with the other NARALO people. But yeah, that's my take. I don't know if Eve or Leah have anything else they want to add.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Eve said it's her second meeting. I think we are making our presence known. And, by the way, Joe was at the meeting as well. So I think we are well received and we participated in the newcomers and the policy process. It was an interesting thing because the Community Networking policy document came through the process as well. So thank you all for participating at the ARIN and, I guess, it stays within our main strategy, having a strong relationship with ARIN.

I did want to mention, in closing, the fellowship for Miami is now open, and I think anyone from NARALO is well received. So please put your application in. But if we have more than one person, I want you to be completely aware, that if we have more than one application, and only

one traveler will be funded, that we will be evaluating those proposals. So if you do a proposal make sure it's good, because we'll have a committee of three evaluating who would actually take that CROPP trip.

That's me, in closing. I just want to turn, because of the time. Eduardo, do you have audio? If you can talk about the NomCom. Just waiting a second for him to join us. He's probably muted.

MARIO ALEMAN:

Glenn, this is Mario for the record. Eduardo dropped the line.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. So I would mention that I don't know. I haven't read a NomCom report for a while, so I can't speak for him. That just gives us an extra couple of minutes. Eduardo will be the incoming chair, he'll probably be looking at handing off the newsletter. So if anyone is interested in participating with the newsletter, I will probably step up my game and probably be the editor for the newsletter. But we will be looking for your pictures, your participation, your screenshots of any of your events.

So just moving along to item 8.0, the hot topics. we need to, again, emphasize that we had a number of hot topics that we identified. Silvia, would you mind posting the links to the page. What I have done on the hot topics that we identified from our GA, I mapped the topics to the ICANN Strategic Plan, the different pillars. We had two of the pillars that were actually not matching to what we said was hot topics. We are working through that.

So what we will be reaching out to any of you to look at being more involved, in terms of doing some educational webinars with us. And hopefully tapping some of you into some of the various different working groups. that gives me a couple of minutes. Thank you so much, Mario. I'll turn to Allan with regards to ALAC public consultation. Allan, can you take the mic for a few minutes?

ALLAN GREENBERG: I could, and I'm not quite prepared. I don't think there's actually anything on the books right now. We've just finished a public consultation on meeting schedules, and I don't believe there's anything open right now that is new.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Allan, this is Heidi, I can confirm that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Heidi, did you want to say anything else?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, just confirming what Allan said. He seemed rather doubtful, so I was just confirming that.

ALLAN GREENBERG: Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: San Juan, because obviously, with the hurricane stuff, people have questioned whether or not, in our region, will have -- and it's very important for us, because we hope to have our School of Internet Governance prior to the ICANN meeting. Any update on the 61?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Glenn, this is Judith Hellerstein for the record. The ICANN has issued a press release saying that it will be in Puerto Rico, unless they say otherwise. But the meetings teams were talking with the sponsor and the convention center, and according to the press release and the blog, that all systems are go.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. And I assume that we can post that press release. So if all goes well, the fellowship for -- perhaps we can put the link for that. So as you saw, we managed to secure four fellows for Abu Dhabi, but please apply for the fellowship for Puerto Rico. And if you do get accepted please let us know, because we've raised some funds for extending your stay if you want to come to the school of Internet governance. But we just have two minutes left. I just wanted to ask Judith to say some words as outgoing secretariat, if you would like to say anything to our membership.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. This is Judith Hellerstein for the record. On the fellowship, I encourage everyone to apply. That fellowship was closed September 15th, and so they'll notify people sometime in December. But the next

fellowship will open after the Abu Dhabi meeting. But that is only the D meeting and only alumni of the present fellows can apply.

But I did want to say, it has been a pleasure working with all of you as vice-chair and as secretariat. And I look forward to continuing my involvement and helping to mentor new fellows and new recruits to NARALO. And still being co-chair with my colleague, Dev. The technology task force and still working on accessibility issues and on indigenous issues.

So, in that line, we will be opening soon the next indigenous fellow program and encourage you to spread the word to all the indigenous groups. And also to spread the word at the indigenous conference about that. And maybe we can give collateral to you about that. Thanks. And Matt, maybe you prepare some more collateral to distribute then so that we can get some more people to apply. And I know we're one minute over time, so I will give it back to you, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you, Judith. And it's amiss to not mention, and I know you're modest, Judith, but Judith was a champion on captioning and the importance of it on the accessibility issue for the wider community.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]