
EVIN ERDOGDU:

Wonderful. Good morning, good afternoon and good evening, everyone, and welcome to the AFRALO Hot Topics Working Group call on Thursday, 14th September, 2017 from 17:00 UTC to 18:00 UTC.

Today on the call with us we have Gabriel Bombambo, Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong, Sarah Kiden, Fatimata Sylla, Omar Shuran, Mohamed El Bashir, Dave Kissoondoyal, and Daniel Nangaka.

On staff we have with us Silvia Vivanco and myself, Evin Erdogan. I will also be doing call management.

We have no apologies.

Our interpreters with us today are Jacques and Camilla on the French channel.

And with that, I'd like to remind everyone to please state your name for the record, not only for the record but also for our interpreters. Thanks so much. With that, I'll turn it over to you, Mohamed. Please begin.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Thank you very much, Evin. And thank you, Silvia, and all the staff. Good morning, good afternoon and good evening for everyone on the call, and thank you for attending the first call for the AFRALO Hot Topics Working Group.

We have a good number of people who showed up for the call. That's very encouraging for the first call, and we hope we continue our work with your active participation.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

We have a wiki page that has been set up, and some of us have already been contributing to that. I can see Dave and [inaudible]. They were the parties working in the wiki group. And a mailing list already should be set up by now, and this is our first call.

The main agenda for this call is to agree on an approach for determining the hot topics. First we need to agree how we're going to determine the hot topics for AFRALO.

Second is we can propose and maybe discuss on hot topics if we have time, but I think the main purpose is to agree going forward how we're going to select the topics.

There were some number of topics that have been proposed earlier, and you can see them on the screen now. They have been proposed in the Johannesburg meeting and the GA. And we have those topics in front of us on Adobe Connect.

Before handing over and opening the discussion for everyone, I'd like to put two proposals for how we're going to [inaudible] hot topics for the working group.

There are two approaches to take on this. The first one is try to stick to topics that relate to ICANN's core functions and objectives, and see how we're going to promote it or at least create awareness on those topics within AFRALO and the African Internet community in general.

By that I mean our proposals should be topics related to, let's say, WHOIS, related to DNSSEC, to accountability issues, jurisdiction issues, ICANN-related issues. So that's one approach.

The other approach is to select topics that might not be directly linked to ICANN's mission but did have an impact or needed within AFRALO. Membership, ALSes, or topics that interest us in general. Things like policies related to how we can facilitate ecommerce, privacy issues from an African perspective. So issues not directly related to ICANN core business and focus.

So with those two approaches, I can open the discussion to hear from you which approach you'd prefer and why, and how we're going to proceed so at the end we agree on one approach and then we'll start implementing that approach and selecting the topics. So, that's it from me, and I open the discussion with this.

DANIEL NANGAKA: Hello. Can I ask you something?

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Yes, please go ahead, Daniel.

DANIEL NANGAKA: I suggest that we look at issues, the topics [inaudible] to the ICANN objectives.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Okay. Daniel is suggesting that we look at the list of topics that already have been proposed earlier, and then maybe we can apply the same approach that we need to agree on. Is it related to ICANN mission, or do

we need this topic or not? And is it not related to the topic? I can see Silvia has a raised hand. Silvia, please.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you very much, Mohamed. I just wanted to point you all to the recordings and transcripts of the Johannesburg session. I'm going to put the link in the chat so you can if you want – you would like to review the discussions you all had at Johannesburg.

There is a transcript in English and French, and there are recordings as well. And you can see all the participations from every member who was there discussing the issues and how they came up with the topics for background for you all.

And I have also posted this link on the working group and the hot topics wiki page. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Thank you, Silvia. That's very useful. We already have some people – I was not attending the Johannesburg meeting, but we already in this call have some of the colleagues who were in that meeting. I think Dave as well was actively participating in that meeting.

So if there are no other suggestions other than Daniel's suggestion to go through the topics and discuss them, I see no further suggestions in Adobe Connect as well. Should we start reviewing the topics currently on Adobe?

Welcome, Aziz. Aziz already joined us on the call. So Aziz, we [inaudible] the call and we have a suggestion from Daniel to go through the list of topics that already have been, let's say, shortlisted. And I suggested that we look at each topic and see how relevant it is to ICANN core functions, and is it a topic that interests us as AFRALO to take it over.

So if there are no further suggestions, can we proceed? I'm just waiting a second to see what Fatimata and Dave are typing in now in Adobe. Okay, so they're already agreeing to that approach, so let's start on the discussions of the topics.

Let's try to be brief in terms of discussing the topics. And so we start with Internet fragmentation. Is it related to ICANN functions, and exactly why do we need the topic to be added? [inaudible] Daniel, do you have any comment on this?

DANIEL NANGAKA: Can you hear me?

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Yes, we can hear you. Please go ahead.

DANIEL NANGAKA: I don't have any comment on that. I think we should still proceed. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Okay. Internet fragmentation. I'm having difficulty understanding what exactly is meant by this topic. Because we have this list without explanations or even summary details about what it is. What exactly the purpose of this Internet fragmentation item? Yes, go ahead, Daniel.

DANIEL NANGAKA: I have a suggestion. Before we dive deep into these discussions, could we at least have like a brief description of what – the ones who suggested the hot topics write a brief about them? Because some of them do not seem to be very clear. Back to you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Thank you, Daniel. If I may ask anyone in the call who already suggested some of the topics and could help us explain why they suggested specific topics so we can take the discussion further. I have a hand raised in Adobe from Silvia. Go ahead, Silvia.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you very much, Mohamed. I'm just reading the transcript that I found looking for the Internet fragmentation topic, and I found it. It was proposed by Ali Hussain, and I can go ahead and brief on what he meant by this topic, if you wish.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Yes, please go ahead.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. So Ali says, “Ali Hussain from [inaudible] Nairobi, Kenya. I think one issue that I [inaudible] hasn’t seen maybe it hasn’t been discussed by [inaudible] is the whole conversation about Internet [inaudible]. We are finding this is a hot topic across the world today. China, Russia, now the UK. We are starting to [inaudible] so I think we need to start thinking about such topics.”

And then Tijani says, “Internet fragmentation. Thank you very much.” Asks for any other topic, and then they continue on with more discussion. That’s how it was identified. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Thank you, Silvia. I don’t see in Adobe –

SEUN OJEDEJI: Hello. Can you hear me?

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Who is that, please?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes, this is Seun.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Welcome, Seun. You would like to say something?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes, please. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Go ahead, Seun, please.

SEUN OJEDEJI: I think perhaps one of the things that may have prompted this Internet fragmentation topic was because during that meeting was when we had Internet shutdowns, and even though yes, we still have Internet shutdown in Africa, [in certain] countries.

But most importantly, it's when we had the Internet shutdown proposal at the AFRINIC [level], which actually raises a lot of discussions at that level. So [inaudible] had been made for at least Internet fragmentation as the result has been an effect of internet shutdown.

So the point is, to what extent do they affect ICANN, to what extent does it affect Internet domain name users. Apart from domain name, we know ICANN is beyond domain itself. It covers the other two identifiers which is numbers and names.

So I think that's what came about the topic and personally, I think it's not such a hot topic for ICANN itself, but it's something that we as At-Large, AFRALO should put on our own agenda as AFRALO. Not necessarily a hot topic in the interest of ICANN per se as an organization, but a hot topic for us, personally for our region considering the Internet shutdown [inaudible] Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Thank you very much, Seun, for the [inaudible]. This makes this clear to us now. So with this, I suggest if we can change the title after Seun's explanations, because I think we're talking mainly about Internet shutdowns and its relationship to DNS. I'm suggesting we call it Internet shutdown and DNS. I mean something [inaudible] add DNS in the context.

And moving forward, I think we have already people raising hands in terms of accepting that. That would be very useful. Thank you, Daniel and Omar, for raising your hands accepting that.

DANIEL NANGAKA: Daniel here.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Yes, Daniel, go ahead.

DANIEL NANGAKA: On top of the issue of the topic, I'd suggest probably we can suggest it to be the impacts of an Internet shutdown to the [inaudible] DNS [inaudible] domain names in Africa. I don't know what the members think about that.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Okay. So we're in agreement that we should change the title and focus more in relationship to DNS. So I suggest we call it Internet shutdown and its impact on DNS.

Moving forward on the topics, it will be useful as well if we agree on a topic you can just raise your agree or disagree hand on Adobe Connect, if you are in Adobe. That would be great. If you are on that call, then maybe you can request to speak.

I think I have Omar raising hand. Do you want to speak, Omar?

EVIN ERDOGDU:

Hello. I'm not sure if anyone is speaking, but we ask that you please unmute yourself. Please check if you are on mute. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Thank you, Evin, for reminding [the need] to unmute myself. I always mute myself when someone is speaking [inaudible]. So the topic was the Internet shutdown and its impact on DNS, so that's something we can take. Internet shutdown is [inaudible]. Yes, instead of fragmentation.

Let's move ahead to the next topics. And please, Daniel and Omar, if you can lower your raised hand. I'm not sure if this is an old raised hand or you have a topic to speak. Thank you.

Okay, so the next topic is online [inaudible] related to [inaudible]. We know content is not a core function of ICANN. ICANN does not regulate or have content-related policies or any work. So I'm not sure that it's relevant topic. My suggestion is to put it in another bucket.

Let's say we have a group of agreed hot topics and we can defer other ones to further discussions. My proposal is to remove online [inaudible]

related to content from the agreed topics, unless someone in the call has a really strong feeling about it and can raise their hand to comment. Daniel, please.

DANIEL NANGAKA:

I suggest that issue over online [safety] related to content, can it be possible that the members agree to merge it together with the [third link] of cybersecurity/cybercrime? And we refer it to probably DNSSEC, because DNSSEC is a very key issue.

And also I see somewhere ahead there is raising awareness of Internet policy, and they give DNS security as one of the key things. So those I think we can merge them into DNSSEC and probably we think of [inaudible] how we can be able to rephrase the role of DNSSEC or how DNSSEC is being applied on an African perspective. I think that will make much more sense. Thank you. Back to you, Mohamed.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Thank you, Daniel. That's a very good point. And following up on your suggestion, we have [inaudible] cybersecurity and cybercrime on this list. My proposal is that DNSSEC as a topic standing by its own is important. It's very core and clear objective for registries, for implementation teams, so we can leave it as a specific topic. But maybe grouping cybersecurity and online [safety] in one hot topic.

My suggestion as well – I was not in Johannesburg – I think as an outcome for this group, it might be useful for us not just to list the topics, at least say a few words about what we're planning to do with

those topics. Are we going to raise awareness, discuss it in our ALSes? What exactly do we need to do about it? That's something that discussion can take it on the next level. I'd love to see a document outcome of our discussion.

So if there is no further comment on this, the proposal now, and also for myself to group online [inaudible] with cybersecurity. The title could be cybersecurity and online safety, and remove content reference. Would that be okay?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes, that is fine by me. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Okay. Thank you very much, Seun.

SARAH KIDEN: Hi, Mohamed. I would like to join the queue.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Thank you, Sarah. You can speak. Go ahead. [inaudible]

SARAH KIDEN: Okay. Please say your suggestion again. I think I missed it. Did you say you want to combine online safety and cybersecurity under DNSSEC? Was that the proposal?

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Thank you, Sarah. The proposal now is to join online safety and cybersecurity. DNSSEC will be a standalone topic as it is an important topic. So it'll be cybersecurity and online safety as one topic.

SARAH KIDEN: Okay. That's it. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Thank you, Sarah. So if we moved ahead – by the way, it will be good if some new topics that are being suggested on Adobe and I will give the people who are suggesting it I think a chance to suggest it, so it doesn't slip really from our [other] – Fatimata is saying she has a question. Do you want to speak, Fatimata? Do you need a chance to speak, or you're going to write your question? Just waiting to see Fatimata [inaudible] the question.

Okay. I haven't seen it yet, but once we are synced in Adobe I will respond to you, Fatimata. So back to the list, I think we are in [access] too of ICANN materials and languages other than English. My understanding is that we want to maybe push for translation of ICANN materials to other languages. My understanding that ICANN now publish and more specifically to AFRALO more material in French [inaudible] in the UN six languages.

So I'm not sure why it's a hot topic for us. Are we not getting the translation that we need from the materials? Do we mean that we need other languages like Swahili or other? What exactly is the reason of this item [inaudible] hot topic? Someone could help me in this. If no one on

the call or in chat knows why we're adding this item and why it's important to us, then I suggest that we move it from being a hot topic to the other bucket of topics that are not agreed.

I see Dave saying, "Okay." If there's no objection, we can move to the next one, which is remote region support.

Can someone from the colleagues who were in Johannesburg and attended the meeting give us more details about what exactly – why this item is a hot topic? Remote regions. I think it is in the wording itself. Talking about remote regions in Africa, support given to remote regions. Any help from anyone in the call? What exactly on this topic are we envisioning? Remote region support. Daniel, please go ahead.

DANIEL NANGAKA:

I just have a little bit – I don't know [inaudible]. It's not a question as such. It could be like maybe a relationship. There is a challenge of connectivity and the members from Africa region participating in these different calls. So my thinking is when the member made the suggestion for remote region support, they're trying to derive ways of how ICANN could support the people who have challenges in connectivity for instance, or in understanding the various PDPs, the Policy Development Processes and participating in them. Because the African participation is quite low, and once the remote region support is given then the participation could go high. So that's my line of thinking when I look at it. I don't know what members think. Probably another member can give what their idea is since the person who suggested it may not be on the call. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Thank you, Daniel. If you don't mind, everyone on the call, can we remove this for now? Because we don't have really things about the support. I'll give Fatimata a chance to speak, maybe she can clarify it. Please, Fatimata, go ahead.

FATIMATA SYLLA: Yes. Can everyone hear me?

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Yes. Please go ahead.

FATIMATA SYLLA: Okay. So I wanted to know the procedure that was adopted to select the hot topics was. What we're doing right now is to work our way through the list that was established in Johannesburg, but what are the criteria that were applied in order to put together the list?

Is the idea here which of the topics are most appropriate for Africa? In that case, I think we're on the right track. And then we have discussed this [promptly] enough. Maybe there were people here who weren't at the meeting in Johannesburg, but we have discussed cybersecurity and WHOIS and privacy in sufficient detail at Johannesburg. So this also involves cybercrime, of course. And I understand here we speak of the DNS but the cybersecurity is also related to the DNS security, which is raising awareness of Internet policy issues.

So in this sense, I think we've already got the technical safety and security aspects covered. So are we going to try and unite these three subjects? It doesn't seem to be [inaudible]. But to me, that is the question. I think we should go ahead. And we are on the right track to complete this work that we have at hand, but I would like to know what the criteria. What do we really intend to do? I'm not sure it was clear enough. I'm sorry if I rambled on. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Thank you very much, Fatimata. If I can try to respond to your raised question, first regarding what the criteria for selecting those topics, I was not in Johannesburg, but the criteria that's in my mind currently, and when I started the call I mentioned it which is basically we need to look to the topics. Is it related to ICANN's mission and does it impact Africa Internet community? I think that's the best two criteria we can look at it in terms of our current review.

My recommendation that we try to focus on the topics that relate to the ICANN functions, we are seeing the organization now more focusing internally with the new management. So the topics that related to ICANN's core functions will definitely be relevant and have [support.]

Second, I agree with your assessment in terms of trying to group items as related to each other, and we already started doing that with online safety and cybersecurity. DNSSEC specifically, I'm going to suggest something about it, because I think we need to have an item related to promoting the implementation of DNSSEC in African registries. We can even name that specifically related to us.

But yes, they are suggestion valid in terms of trying to group [inaudible] related items. It will be very helpful for us now in this call if people in ICANN [inaudible] or could help us with reasoning for selecting those items.

On the Adobe we're [already] going to collect it, and if you are suggesting a new item, we're collecting that and we're going to in the end look at those.

Omar Shuran has a raised hand. Please go ahead, Omar. We can't hear you. I think this is an old hand from Omar.

Okay, so if we can proceed, public versus private IP addresses. I'm really also [inaudible] in this one. Omar in the Adobe, we cannot hear you.

OMAR SHURAN:

Yes, Mohamed. Good evening, everybody. I just wanted to comment on the [inaudible] that Daniel and Seun has [inaudible] regarding the Internet shutdown. My suggestion is to replace the name by Internet availability and accessibility, that government is beating around the bush regarding the shutdown. Sometimes they don't shut down the service at all, but they use some tricks to make – you know, where the [inaudible] so people cannot discern if it's [inaudible]. So I believe that naming this topic as internet accessibility would be of a great [strength]. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Thank you, Omar. So Omar is raising a point about adding accessibility to that topic. My understanding as well that what we mean by

shutdown is ability to people to get access, but you are right. There are other aspects to that in terms of some services might be [segregated] some specifics, let's say social media sites might be inaccessible, so it's not complete shutdown. I do understand your point.

I think the way forward is maybe we can rename the title. I'll try to get something to include your access component, or maybe in the description itself we can include Africa as well to not [inaudible] the name, avoid having a very long name. If that's okay with you, we can move ahead with that.

Fatimata, do you have an old raised hand, or do you want to speak? Okay, I didn't hear from Fatimata, so if we can proceed.

My suggestion regarding public versus private IP address is to remove that now out of these topics, unless someone is feeling strongly about it.

EVIN ERDOGDU: Sorry, Mohamed. Fatimata is saying she wishes to take the floor, it is a new hand.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Okay. Please go ahead, Fatimata.

FATIMATA SYLLA: Thank you. I would once again like to thank Mohamed for his answer regarding my question, and I agree with him, but I think there's

something else I wanted to know. In the agenda which is we needed to agree on an approach, following which we would determine what the hot topics were. But I do not know what the goal of this working group is. I don't think that's entirely clear to me. What is the purpose of the working group? Would the endgame be to have a list of hot topics, or else, what do we intend to do? Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Thank you, Fatimata. Gabriel next, please.

EVIN ERDOGDU: I'm trying to check if I can hear Gabriel.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Okay. So until we get Gabriel, Fatimata –

GABRIEL BOMBAMBO: Gabriel speaking.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Yes, please go ahead.

GABRIEL BOMBAMBO: Okay. Hold on. Regarding IPv4 and IP addresses, I think we should have IPv4 to IPv6 translation mechanisms, as those are the main points on which ICANN is working right now. The migration to IPv6 and the translation from one to the other. And those who do not have the IPv6

service need to have a translation from IPv4 to IPv6. So I think that should be in the list.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Thank you very much, Gabriel. Back to the important point raised by Fatimata, when I started the call I initiated by this agenda item which is basically determining an approach [that we use] to select the items. And my suggestion was to look at, is this topic relevant to ICANN and us as African regional organization? [inaudible] if it fulfills that criteria, yes, that's a tick and we can move ahead with it.

If not, if it's not related to ICANN and it's not, let's say, a hot topic for us of interest, we should remove it. If it's not clear about exactly why we need it, we should remove it.

You raise a question about what we're going to do next with the hot topics. We have the experience of EURALO where they developed hot topics, and they started implementing, working to raise awareness and do outreach on those topics.

So our outcome of this exercise is to have a list of the hot topics and in a document, and that document [should] include why this is important to us and what we're going to do to raise awareness of that.

And this is not [inaudible] document. Thanks, Silvia, for posting the link to EURALO hot topics document page. I'll post the link to their report. They have a very nice PDF report for the hot topics that they selected.

So we need to have a document at the end of the exercise. We need to – I agree with you, this is the first call and we need to develop some

objectives, whether for the group. Maybe we can take that on the wiki and try to draft the purpose of [inaudible] working group.

On the last AFRALO call, we selected members so they volunteers, and now is our first call, and I agree with you in terms of we need to have a scope and a purpose or objective. So let's take that, let's have a text proposed, and we can use the wiki. We can propose something in the wiki for that.

If you don't – I think we have an agreement from Fatimata and [inaudible] as well. So if we can move ahead with this approach. Gabriel, you mentioned IP addresses and IPv4 – IPv6 [inaudible]. Yes, the transition, I just want to say one thing and we have Seun who's already in AFRINIC Board with us here.

We work in collaboration as African I*. So AFRINIC have lots of work related to awareness and raising awareness about IPv6 transitions. I'm not sure what AFRALO is specifically going to say on this topic, but let's group the IP addresses items here, and let's find a way that we can collaborate with AFRINIC. We already have an MoU with them.

I'll ask Daniel to comment, he has a raised hand, and Seun as well if you can also advise us how we're going to handle the IPv6 or IP addresses topics. Please go ahead, Daniel.

DANIEL NANGAKA:

I wanted to suggest that in regard to the objective of the working group, the members who are currently in this call have volunteered to discuss the relevancy of the hot topics regarding African participation. So I think

the drafting of the objectives should be like a parallel, something happening in parallel with the current discussions that are taking place.

So what I suggest is, one, six members volunteer, like two or three members to come up with either two or three objectives of the working group such that it does not hinder the process of discussing the different hot topics, because I believe that after selecting the hot topics, we have to go and expound more and write a proper description that will be shared with the members of AFRALO, and then seek their participation. Then in the long run, we shall see exactly where they fit in the different PDP processes. I think that makes sense. As always, I'm open to any suggestions. Thank you. Back to you, Mohamed.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Thanks, Daniel, for this. Can I ask you, if it's not really hard on you, to just delete this and take the pen and propose an objective for the working group in the wiki so we can proceed in parallel to the discussion?

DANIEL NANGAKA:

Yes, sure. I'll start to work out something.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Yes, I'd like to stay in the queue.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Okay. So if we have the queue – I think if I’m right, Fatimata, Balkany and Seun. Okay, Fatimata is not ready to speak. Can we move to Balkany? Can you speak, please?

FATIMATA SYLLA: Yes, I’m here. Can you hear me?

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Yes.

FATIMATA SYLLA: I was going to ask a question to Daniel, and I think now it’s clear since we’re going to have a draft, that’s why I was asking about the objectives of the working group. And I thought it was objectives for a topic. Now I think the situation is clear. It’s very clear now that we’re going to work on the objectives of the working group, and Daniel was very clear. And I would be glad to work on that as well. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Thank you, Fatimata. And Balkany, please go ahead. Seun, please go ahead.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes. Can you hear me?

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Yes. Please go ahead.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Okay. Thank you. So [what's been said] about IPv4 – IPv6 transition and IPv4 exhaustion is very critical, especially for our region. As some of us may know, the Africa region is the only region with free pools at the moment. That is even the [last, last stage] but we are still much in the early stage of the exhaustion, so we have technically less free pools, but we still have significant IPv4 accommodation when it comes to giving out spaces, because the current [inaudible] allows us to [inaudible] IPv4 address.

So AFRALO as Mohamed mentioned has a partnership and MoU with AFRINIC, and that MoU actually renewed recently. I think it was in Johannesburg where it was renewed, and the renewal now is not unlimited, so it means that unless either side disagrees or decides to withdraw, we have a good MoU with them now.

And normally, AFRALO does attend AFRINIC events, and [as has been] noted, a significant awareness program has been done at the AFRINIC level to encourage service providers, end users who own their own IP space to try to transition to transition to IPv6.

So maybe what AFRALO can do is probably to contribute to get awareness, getting their ALSes to be involved in – getting their communities aware of the importance of transitioning to IPv6. And then perhaps maybe there could be a specific request for AFRINIC to give a session or a webinar or something to ALSes to properly educate ALSes on this importance of transition. And maybe that is what you can request from AFRINIC to do for AFRALO, perhaps kind of an education

level because of course, AFRALO is not just about DNS. We're also about IP addresses as well. So from my own level, I think those are probably some of the things that we can do. And of course, when we start the [education] with AFRNIC, maybe there could be other avenues where AFRALO can come in. But for now, [inaudible] in mind. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Thank you very much, Seun. Taking this forward, and I'm looking at the clock and the time is ticking. My suggestion is the following: remove the IP addresses, IPv6 from hot topics and request – maybe ask Seun to coordinate with AFRNIC that we can have an AFRNIC update slot in AFRALO meetings. And I'm sure AFRNIC will definitely [have] people coming to ICANN meetings, and they can present to AFRALO an overall picture about IP addresses [inaudible] from Africa and discuss that with AFRALO and ALSes in our meetings. I think that will be more useful than have it as now two hot topics listed there. Will that be okay? I can see Fatimata agreeing to this approach.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Mohamed, that sounds like a very good plan. So I also agree that [we don't actually need] a hot topic, we just need a follow-up, a normal topic. I think what you suggested as a way forward is fine. I would [inaudible] note that AFRNIC normally attends the AFRALO face-to-face meeting, so we could actually [inaudible] talk about that when we attend those meetings, if there's time. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Yes. Thank you very much, Seun. So we're agreement now, we're going to remove public versus private IP addresses and IPv6, and Seun could help us in terms of having AFRINIC presenting to the ALSes in our meetings, in AFRALO meetings within ICANN.

So I'm conscious about in the face-to-face – we can try to have that in an AFRALO session where we can have a slot for AFRINIC to speak or present, discuss a topic [inaudible] African AFRALO meeting.

Okay, so to proceed ahead, I'm proposing for the – Balkany has a raised hand. I'm not sure if you want to speak or that's an old raised hand. If you want to speak, can you just write on the chat so I know that is not an old hand?

Proceeding, I'm suggesting the next item, raising awareness of Internet policy issues, to be more specifically about DNSSEC, because it has been DNS and security. And I'm suggesting this title, raising awareness of importance of DNSSEC implementation for African registries. So as a hot topic, we can look at that.

We still have the fewest number of registries, TLD registries that are DNSSEC [inaudible] and I think we can try to help push that as AFRALO. If there's no objection, then we changed that and accepted that. Okay.

Okay, WHOIS and privacy. Fatimata earlier suggested that we group – I think we group that – I'm not sure. Do we add it to extend cybersecurity, online safety to add privacy and WHOIS? Will that be okay? If you can look to the chat, I proposed a name as a hot topic which is [inaudible] cybersecurity, online safety, privacy and WHOIS.

And I think we need to go down later on another level in terms of determining what we're going to do in this topic.

So if that is okay – I can see Fatimata and Dave are accepting that, and that's good. Let's move ahead. Impact of IANA transition. Gabriel is also saying okay.

Transition has already happened. So I'm not sure if this is could be an old maybe topic now. I think the issue is now about IANA performance and there is a Customer Standing Committee for IANA performance, which I am honored to be representing ALAC on that group. And I don't think that impact of IANA currently is a hot topic. That has been finished and that has been done. And if you're fine, can we remove this item?

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Yes, I agree to removing the item. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Thank you very much, Seun. We can remove this item. Okay, geographic names. There's a new working group about geographic names, but do we need it as a standalone topic? Are there any other topics related to this so we can group them? New gTLD-specific topics.

Can we have it like as an example new gTLDs and geographic names? Because we have auction process which is a very specific topic and is not really relevant as the standalone specific topic. So for now, I can suggest the new gTLDs geographic names. I'm suggesting to have a new gTLDs and geographic names as one topic item. Later on, we can discuss about exactly what we can have on this, and removing the auction

processes because I don't think it's relevant as much now. It's not a hot topic.

If you don't mind, IGF activities work in the CCWG Internet Governance, I think this is about the ICANN accountability and the work currently on – there's lots of work in jurisdiction, there's lots of work in accountability. The last one, if we can rename it to be ICANN accountability and jurisdiction, because that's where the hot topics now. If you don't mind. [inaudible] something on Adobe, but [I mistyped] that. I mean ICANN accountability and jurisdiction. Okay, if there's no objection, we can move ahead [on] this one.

Okay, we are about eight minutes now past the time for the conference call. If I can suggest that we take the list of the new topics and debate those on the wiki. Before the next call, I would like that we finalize the hot topics and look at the drafting. We can utilize the wiki and the mailing list. It would be great if staff could help us in that.

We'll suggest another next call, hopefully next week. We'll send a Doodle so you can look at and select the best option for you for the call. So if there are no other suggestions, I'd like to end this call because the French translation will be – we need to stop now.

So thank you very much for the call. Sorry for taking more than the call time, and let's continue our work in the wiki and arrange a conference call for next week. Thank you very much. Bye, everyone.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Thank you. Bye.

EVIN ERDOGDU:

Thank you all. This call is now adjourned. Thank you very much for your participation. Please do not forget to disconnect your lines on the Adobe Connect room and the bridge. Thank you very much, and have a wonderful rest of your day.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]