
YESIM NAZLAR: Good morning, good afternoon and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the ALAC Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement call taking place on Tuesday, 29th of August 2017 at 18:00 UTC.

On our call today on the English channel we have Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Bram Fudzulani, Sarah Kiden, Yrjö Lansipuro, Glenn McKnight, Ali AlMeshal, Alfredo Calderon, Maureen Hilyard, and Narine Khachatryan.

Currently we don't have anyone on the Spanish channel, and neither on the French channel.

We have received apologies from Isaac Maposa and Nkem Nweke.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Siranush Vardanyan, and myself, Yeşim Nazlar.

Our Spanish interpreters for today's call are Claudia and Marina, and our French interpreters are Claire and Isabelle.

And before we start, as always, I would like to remind everyone to state their names before speaking, not only for the transcription purposes but also for the interpretation purposes as well. And now, back to you, Dev. Thank you very much.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you, and a very good morning, good afternoon, good evening, everyone. On the agenda we have for today's call is to focus on outreach at the IGF 2017 in Geneva in December 2017. It's really just to

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

begin the [real] coordination of our outreach activities there at the IGF 2017.

The second thing that we'll be discussing is onboarding documentation and how to evolve and update this documentation for onboarding for At-Large.

Next, we'll then look at the outreach observations from ICANN59, and I encourage everyone to give their opinions as to how the outreach worked at ICANN59, or I guess if it didn't work. And with that in mind, look at outreach at ICANN60 which is coming towards the end of October. And of course, Any Other Business.

I guess I'll just ask formally, does anybody wish to add anything to the agenda? Okay, seeing no hands raised or anybody typing in the chat. Let's proceed immediately to the first one, which is the IGF 2017 workshop proposal.

For the IGF, various RALOs, and of course the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee submitted various workshop proposals. It's not been fully clear to me at least, because the page has not been updated since this workshop was proposed, which ones were approved.

So I would like to ask those RALOs that did submit to indicate on the wiki – or give a reporting now – as to which workshops were approved. So, that's probably my first question.

And the second thing is that once one RALO proposal was approved, if we go back to our proposal to have an outreach booth at the IGF – and we had submitted a budget proposal. And the wording of the decision

by ICANN to support it was that – it says – and I’ll just read what it says. “Two travelers approved for travel support to the IGF 2017 meeting. One from the Outreach Subcommittee members and one ALAC member. The granting of support is contingent on, one, an IGF MAG approval of at least one At-Large RALO workshop, and two, submission of a detailed report from each traveler within 30 days of the meeting that addresses each item as an itemized metric as per request. This is submitted to an address at ICANN.org, and it’s a condition of future resource allocations. And the approved travel includes assumption of economy airfare, plus four travel days and three hotel nights, plus a per diem appropriate to the region traveled.”

So, given that there’s at least one – and I believe it was APRALO’s IGF proposal that was approved, and I’m seeing in the chat that Ali has confirmed this. So, with that one proposal approved, that means our proposal to ICANN for having a coordinated outreach to IGF is now possible.

So, there are two things that we’ll probably have to do. One was the selection of the persons to go to the IGF, but I think the other, broader thing is now to actually coordinate how to – well, track who actually is going to the IGF 2017.

So, I will want to suggest – and if somebody wishes that as a first step we set up a wiki page with a listing of people who are attending from At-Large that are attending, either tentatively or confirmed to be attending the IGF 2017. So, as a first step.

Okay, I see Glenn has a comment or observation on that. Go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No, I'm just putting my hand up that I'm just saying that I have two panels that I'm on, and I'm also tied up for day zero for the entire day. Satish asked me to help with the APSIG stuff, so I'm just letting you know what my commitments are for the event.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Glenn. Thanks for that. So let's set up a wiki page and just have like a table of the persons who are going to be from At-Large who will be attending the IGF 2017. And then what we can do is then have a future call with those members as to how we want to do various activities.

One of the things that we also have to do is having a booth at the IGF 2017, and I believe Glenn has an update on this booth submission. You have to apply to the IGF to have a booth at the IGF venue. So, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. Thank you, Dev. Okay, so what we did is first come first serve. We got it in fairly early in the game. I've sent everybody a picture of what the booth looks like. They're pretty tiny. They provide a sign and they provide two chairs and a small cube. It's really suitable for maybe a maximum of three people in the booth. Otherwise, it gets a little crowded.

They're all about the same size. The corner booths tend to be a bit bigger like the EuroDIG one and a few others, but they're not a really

large booth. But we have a commitment and we're confirmed that we have a booth. That's it. Back to you, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Glenn. Just to confirm, you sent it on the outreach list, the pictures of the potential booth space?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. Let me look again. I've sent it once before, but [Cheryl's] asked for it again, and I'll go look for it. I'm going to put it on mute again.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thank you very much, Glenn. So you send that, the pictures again of the tentative booth space. So in addition to that, we're going to have to now plan – okay, now that we do have a booth, which I think is great because now we can look to also coordinate the schedule, and then this comes back down to the At-Large attendees who will be attending the IGF. We can work out a scheduling as to who can man the booth at various times during the IGF sessions over the few days. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Thank you very much, Dev. First, congratulations to everyone going to the IGF. I understand that will be AFRALO two people, APRALO two people, and then there's also one person from the Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement and one ALAC member.

I wanted to let you know that Alan and I have been discussing this. He is going to start working on it, and I'm sure it's going to be with his group. But I know we know that we need to start working on who exactly will be going so that we can [start] the travel issues.

And then also, there's a suggestion that we may hold a face-to-face informal meeting during Abu Dhabi for all those who are going to be there as well as going to the IGF just to talk about logistics and the overall – what you need for promotional items, what kind of message you want to be sending, etc. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Dev, if you're speaking, we can't hear you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Are you hearing me now?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yesim, is Dev still on, or did he drop?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Hi, are you hearing me?

YESIM NAZLAR: Yes. Hi, Dev. I can hear you well.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yesim, again, if you could just let us know where Dev is, because we can't hear him.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. [inaudible]

HEIDI ULLRICH: [inaudible] red cross through it. Glenn, again we have two from AFRALO, two from LACRALO, and one from the Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement and one from ALAC, or one ALAC has to select. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. It looks like there's probably a break between perhaps the Adigo Connect and the Adigo Bridge, because I think some are hearing me but some aren't.

Okay. I'm seeing some persons are saying they [were hearing me] as well. So, I hope people can hear me. Alright, so thanks for that, Heidi. And again, it would be good also to again perhaps – and you mentioned probably having a face-to-face meeting of the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee meeting to discuss the final details about outreach and so on for IGF. I think that would be a good idea, and discuss outreach and engagement activities for At-Large at such a session. So I would suggest that, yes, let's perhaps have a – well, not

perhaps – let’s have an Outreach and Engagement session at Abu Dhabi to go over the IGF outreach activities.

Okay. Let’s see. Any other thoughts or comments on the IGF proposal? Glenn, go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes. In addition to the sessions in day zero and our booth, we do have an opportunity to fill in with some lightning talks. So I just want to make sure those who are going, not to ignore that. If you have a five- or ten-minute lightning talk [to do], that would be great.

Myself and Satish, we were working on a paper but we ran out of time, the deadline on community networking [inaudible] and believe it or not, [inaudible] community networking didn’t get funded either. But there’ll be a bunch of people who are going to be interested in community networking getting together, doing lightning talks. So I’m strongly suggesting that we see what gaps are available, and if anyone didn’t get a chance to speak, that they consider doing a lightning talk.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Thanks, Glenn. There was a little bit, a slight distortion at the end there, but I think I got the gist that perhaps there are opportunities to give a lightning talk at the booth where you can do impromptu sessions. And I think that’s a good idea. I think perhaps that should be also [captured] on our dedicated outreach activities for IGF 2017 [inaudible] something that could be done by persons going there.

Okay. Alright. Glenn, you have a follow-up comment? Your hand is still raised. Okay, it's not.

So let's note [inaudible] session on logistical planning in Abu Dhabi from the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee on IGF outreach at IGF 2017.

Any other thoughts or comments, observations? Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry. Just to clarify, Dev, did you want that session on logistics to be during the Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement meeting, or a separate informal session?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I'll just raise it with the group right now. I see Maureen has her hand raised.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Dev. I was a bit late coming on, waiting for a dial-out. But what is the decision on who the selected people are from the Outreach and Engagement slot for IGF? Has that been raised?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Maureen, for the question. What Heidi said earlier on was that – well, the outreach – [inaudible] Alan and staff will be working on a process to select those persons. So we're not going to really discuss the actual selection here unless somebody wishes to raise it.

We do have quite a bit of time between now and – well, I’m certain the decision will come very shortly on it. So a quick question was, do you want to do the logistical planning as an informal meeting at Abu Dhabi 60, or as a formal session as part of the outreach and engagement session? Quick show of hands. Does anyone have a particular preference? And if not, I’ll just make a decision if I don’t get any clear feelings either way. Going once, going twice, going thrice.

Okay. I’m seeing Ali. Ali, go ahead and type quickly. “Let’s be part of it.” Okay, let it be part of the outreach and engagement formal session then, because I think by then we would have our things well in hand. It is just really giving a summary overview at that point. So if we do our planning before ICANN60, it should not be an onerous task.

Okay, alright. Any other comments on the IGF outreach? Going once, going twice. Okay, great. Thanks for this. And I think it’s actually fantastic that perhaps for the first time we may get a proper At-Large outreach going at IGF. So this is great.

Okay, so our next topic on the agenda is discussion on the documentation that’s been done for the community onboarding. The outreach and engagement – and some members have been informed and trying to do this type of documentation, and we’re at the stage that we kind of want to get more input from the RALOs, more input from the community as to how to better improve the text and so forth.

And because it’s not meant to be a static, one-time deliverable and it’s done, it’s obviously something that has to be something that has to be updated and reviewed because of the policy issues in the DNS may

change, how the At-Large may change due to the At-Large review, those types of things.

So just to remind everybody again, the idea behind the approach that we presented was that we would have a sort of tailored approach of topics depending on the audience. And from that, you have things about promoting At-Large, understanding what is At-Large, you joining at the At-Large, and then you learn about how to engage at the At-Large. And as you become more engaged, you could then come back to start promoting At-Large. So it creates a little cycle.

So thanks. And thanks to staff for putting up that slide. So we have been having this document, and it's been open for comments, but I do want to get some more detailed feedback and also some help in drafting, editing some of these slides to keep moving forward.

Content has been done on what is the DNS, the key policy issues of the At-Large community, and this has been done as an interactive website to give an idea of how we can make this more hands-on and more enjoyable for end users to learn about these policy issues. And then we have a presentation on the introduction to At-Large which has been based on our presentations with the Fellows and with NextGen interactions at the ICANN face-to-face meetings.

And the section that we have yet to really do in any meaningful detail is the navigating At-Large. And the navigating At-Large would be, well, for those persons already in the community, how do you do certain things, how do you find your way around? Those types of things.

I would like to get some help to help edit the document and so forth. I notice for example – and I guess I saw Olivier put something up about EURALO hot topics, so perhaps some members from that group would be willing to look at the policy issues of the At-Large community, because one of the things we try to do is we talk about – try to present about the policy issue and why end users should care. So perhaps the feedback that’s been done there can be incorporated in this document and so forth.

So I just wanted to bring this up, and again the [staff] has been really working on updating the document and so forth. And I’m welcome to hear any ideas or contributions on the onboarding documentation. And because I want to see this documentation become useful for the At-Large community and all the RALOs, both the potential ones and the existing ones. So, the floor is open for any thoughts or comments on this. Maureen, go ahead.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Dev. Taking onboard – you were saying about the onboarding slides resource. I think that as you say, everyone’s got different – when they’re actually meeting with a particular group, the group does have different needs. But at the same time, there are still things that we can introduce to them. And as Olivier says, things like hot topics and that kind of stuff is quite important to put into the programs because it doesn’t matter what level, that sort of thing is always going to be important to at least raise, if not go into and depth.

But I think that if we have a resource that's got as many different aspects of onboarding as possible within it, and then as people are actually creating their own things like individualized, customized programs for the audience that they're catering for, that at least the formatting [inaudible] it's on the ICANN template. It's all looking consistent rather than what sometimes happens and you get bits and pieces from all over the place and that doesn't look good as a presentation. And it may also include slides that have access to other multimedia sort of like presentations, that sort of stuff so that we're actually sort of getting together something that can be quite used in different ways by different people. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Maureen, for this. Let me respond, because you said quite a lot and I see Heidi and Glenn are also in the queue. Just to respond, indeed, and the idea that I was thinking of which we try to tailor the slide deck based on the audience, we can ensure that, as one example, how individual members can operate in various RALOs.

So if you identify, "Okay, you're coming from this region, here's what you need to know," and then what we do is show how this RALO is handling that process, or how the RALO operates in terms of whether it has a Board or not. Things like that. So you have that kind of customization into that. I think that's one thing.

And I think the look and feel is obviously – I would like to have it as a consistent look and feel, and if people want to change the look or feel, they can then do it throughout the slide deck – this is a personal

preference. But if the group feels it can change the look and feel of it, then that could also be looked at too.

But I think that ICANN itself recognized this with ACs and SOs when it came up with its own – how to put it – standardized PowerPoint presentation template. And I think we should try that. And if you notice, I’ve been following those guidelines and so there’s a consistent look and feel of the presentation. I see [inaudible] comment on Siranush, and I can respond to that.

I think it was Heidi who was second, and then Glenn.

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, I think Glenn had his hand raised first.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Very well. Okay, Glenn, go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. I’m of mixed opinions whether or not there should be RALO customization for the sake of consistency. A new ALS is a new ALS, regardless of which RALO they come in. So I’m not sure if you start to monkey with a good process whether that’s a good idea. I’m just throwing that out.

I’m not sure, because when you start to deviate too much, then you’re almost like throwing the baby out with the water. So I did hear what Maureen is saying and I do appreciate some tweaking based on

localization, but I think the product has to be looked at from different perspectives.

Now, when I think of onboarding, I think of two types of people: people who are experienced and need a refresher, and brand-new people. That's two different approaches. But when I write a proposal, I write a proposal from the budget first, and then I write the content.

Why I'm using that as an analogy is that, what are the expected results of the onboarding? Are we looking at people getting all charged up to get more active and attend meetings and write policy, to be more active?

I guess the expected result is what I would like to see, Dev, first, rather than just bore them to death by PowerPoint. So I guess I'm not trying to be critical on this, and I think the product is great. I'm just trying to think this through in terms of how to get the results that you can expect, and if there's any kind of evaluation process wrought into this model. Thanks. That's it.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes. Thanks, Glenn. I hear you, and I do [inaudible] doing the slide deck like this, because again we could repurpose this in myriads of ways. For example, we could take the slide deck and do presentations to all ALSes for example, or to the public if we needed to.

So that's why we started with the slide deck as such, but as persons have noted in the comments, we can make this part online and make it

interactive. And perhaps it could be integrated, perhaps as part of the At-Large website.

And perhaps again – and it comes back to that start here, picking as to what you want to be able to do. Like if you want to be able to – I think you suggested get involved in policy issues. And you could just dive into that policy issue, and there could be probably another section from that saying how you could really get involved in policy. You know, “There’s a working group involved here, you can join this policy working group. There’s also the GNSO.” And note various things about it. So it’s a good idea.

Okay, Heidi, and then I’ll respond to the comment in the chat.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. Thank you very much, Dev. So my comments are in two categories. The first is actually on this, the materials that are being presented from the community orientation onboarding program, the COP, let’s just call it that. I think that this could be considered a first version, and it is a living document. And that in addition to this standardized set of slides that perhaps in the future, there’ll also be developed additional sets, perhaps one for regional issues.

I’ve heard that there’s some need perhaps for the regional flair within a particular region. There might be another one for policy advice development that goes deeper in to the details there. And then again another one for actual outreach and engagement activities. So I’m just wondering if this is being seen by this committee as the single

document that is to be used across all of At-Large, or whether this is one open and dynamic piece that can be added to.

The second part in the program itself – just wanted to very quickly and in a very summary fashion announce that this program is being looked at internal by staff, and there might be some issues, a little bit of changes going on.

Number one is that you'll see recently there was a wiki page set up. I've put that in above so that there's some information on that. So I just want to let you know that exciting things will be I think hopefully be seen shortly. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Heidi. So I just want to – yes, thanks in terms of those comments. Yes, so regarding the actual part of the – the CPO part of it, we got to see the upcoming changes to this. I'm just focusing on the evolution of these documents for use for outreach and engagement purposes, for onboarding, for public outreach, for internal inreach with our ALSes, those things.

So I'm going to the first part of the question as to whether – again, I truly would like to see – and I think it goes back to what Glenn is saying, because I think what the community needs in terms of outreach, there's a very large core of material that's relevant to the entire At-Large community [inaudible] from. It's only very small specializations that we treat things differently because of how we are set up in the regions.

So I would like to just ensure that we focus on – if there are changes that need to be happening in terms of informing people about the DNS, policies of the DNS, I think that’s global enough. And if there’s need for specialized training or specialized lessons that need to be added, by all means let’s add it. And I think what will then happen is because it’s all in one location, we can learn from this. I think everybody can learn from each other.

Right. So just to quickly respond to the comments on the chat – and it’s now been quite a few – Siranush suggested doing this on ICANN Learn. Indeed, I think that would be a good idea. I think I just want to get a little more finalization of the content, and we can then migrate to ICANN Learn rather than trying to update – you know, putting a course on ICANN Learn and then trying to edit it there and then editing it elsewhere. That’s just my preference to that. But ideally, indeed we could certainly do that.

The ccNSO has done something like this for a large part of their onboarding material, and that’s already available on ICANN Learn. I see Alfredo has commented on it. And again, all of these things as I say are first steps. Obviously as we use these onboarding materials – again, this is why it’s an evolving document. It’s not a static, printed page book and that’s it, you can’t make changes to it.

Obviously as we go through this, we’re going to then discover things that worked. “Okay, when I did this slide on At-Large, people understood it greatly,” but you can give feedback as to, “Well, when I tried to explain this, the slide was [a little] unclear.”

So it's really about getting the feedback and getting the community involved, and working on these – and updating this document and making this a document that anybody can use. Glenn, you have a –

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes. Let me make sure I'm – yes, I'm unmuted. Are we talking only on the one version of the onboarding? I just want to clarify, do we have multiple versions? I know you worked with Beran and ISOC on one version. Are we actually talking about just that version right now? I just want a point of clarification.

If that's the case, I converted all that material into e-books for you, and I'm just going to put the link into the chat. So if you can clarify that, that'd be great.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Thanks. What I really would like, although we've kind of spearheaded the approach, but I would say that the introduction to At-Large has really gotten a lot of feedback from the entire Outreach Committee when we were doing the interactions with the Fellows and NextGen.

We did a slide deck, we looked back and said what worked and what didn't work, we updated it again and so forth. So it's really keeping in mind it's working with a slide deck and with this work that's already done, and making improvements and changes. And I really would like – well, if not the entire subcommittee, but at least a good subgroup with good balance from all the regions involved, and taking this document and updating this further. So I'm not just looking at just a small

subgroup doing it. I want the community to take charge of it. And then once we have it in a good form, we can get it translated, link to various things, various RALO wikis and so forth. I hope that answers the questions, Glenn.

So my suggestion, my point, my comment – my next question before we move on to the next topic because I’m aware we’ve now been taking quite a bit of time on this, can I get a list of persons who are interested in this so I can then – we can decide whether to have a separate call to look at these documents in detail, or at least set up an e-mail list, or all those types of things. I see Olivier wants – and Glenn has raised his hand. Glenn, go ahead. Glenn, you’ve been muted.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry. Yes, I’m unmuted. I thought I was responding to your question. Were you looking for volunteers?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, so yes.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, great. Maureen? Okay, I see ticks from Maureen, Olivier, Glenn. And again, I want to make it – anybody could help with this, because – let’s see, Sarah. Lovely. Alfredo. Excellent. So we have a good group we

could start with here. And thank you all, because I think what we're trying to do here I think is going to be beneficial for everybody in At-Large.

And of course, obviously I would like to say staff could also assist in this as well. So I would welcome staff involvement in this as well to tweak these slide decks or suggest ways of presenting things as well.

Okay. Glenn, I see another hand. Okay. So staff, please note the checkmarks.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes, Dev, could you just state what the action item was? And then we'll note that. I wasn't clear exactly what you were asking.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Sure. Okay. So, several persons put up their hands to help with updating the documents for outreach. So then I just hope you kept track of the names. It was Olivier, Sarah, Maureen, Glenn, Alfredo, and [inaudible] who volunteered. And I was suggesting of course staff should also give some feedback as well and inputs onto this, because as staff you may already have some slide decks that could already be used, or suggest rather than recreating the wheel.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Dev, sorry, I'm just asking a lot of clarifying questions here. Is the aim to have just one very long slide deck? Or perhaps do you want to break it out? Again to focus on regions or policy issues.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. It's not one massive, long slide deck. And I guess if you look at how the approach is structured, it's broken up into chunks. And then we have a [thread] so to speak based on the topic or the [answer] we're trying to reach. We could probably discuss that on a future call, but that's the idea.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So again – I'm sorry, just another question.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Sure.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Given that likely that those who are going to lead – if I may – the orientation or onboarding for the RALOs, I would think that the RALO leadership would be absolutely key for that.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So it would be useful to see if we can reach out to existing and incoming regional leads to make sure that they're heavily engaged in this so they can support this and make sure that it's implemented.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. [inaudible]

HEIDI ULLRICH: I don't want a huge group, I don't think that would be very useful – as Cheryl has taught me well on that – but I think to get that engagement, that commitment to engagement and the knowledge of their particular region is really key to make sure that they're included. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Absolutely a good idea. I don't think anybody – I see [checkmarks] as well on that. So please also add as an action item to reach out to the RALO leadership – incoming, outgoing – to help with this effort. Okay? Okay. And then once we're there, we could start communicating how we want to tackle this, and maybe even have a special purpose call as to how we want to approach this.

Okay, so I think with that – and I'm sorry to have taken so long time on this, but let's go now back to our agenda items. The next item on the agenda, outreach observation at ICANN59.

Does anybody wish to give any feedback from those at ICANN59 as to how outreach worked, or perhaps did not work? Sarah, please go ahead.

SARAH KIDEN: Hi. From the AFRALO perspective, what [inaudible] is there was not coordinated effort. So AFRALO is organizing an outreach and engagement call. The Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee also

had a few other things to do, and it was not synchronized at all. It almost looked like there was a clash. Yes, so I would propose that in future, we collaborate and work together so we don't have similar occurrence. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Sarah. Thanks for that, and I can only concur that we should collaborate rather than clash. And coordinate better. Any other thoughts or comments on observations? Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, thank you. I'll be very brief. Just in addition to 59, if I could please ask – request – that if you're involved in any kind of outreach and spread the word and engagement, please let ICANN staff know, At-Large staff know. Send photos, tweet it out. We'll make sure that we tweet it out.

Recently we'll have seen there was an event in Puerto Rico by ISOC Puerto Rico. There were people who were tweeting it out. We also tweeted it out in various languages. There was a [inaudible] event recently. We had to follow up with some of the people there, and then they did send us photos and we tweeted that out. But again, there are so many activities that you're all involved in, it would be really fantastic if we could just get that information so we can make sure that everyone's aware of all the activities that you're doing. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Indeed, Heidi. Thanks for that. And I think it's a little bit disconcerting that you're seeing so many activities and again it's not really coordinated and we're not aware of it. So I do want to stress – I know it's a challenge to coordinate these things, but well, I think it's something we have to do. I see there's a queue in operation here. Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thanks very much, Dev. I totally agree that there should be a lot more increase of communication as to what each one of us is doing in the different silos, and I think between not only the RALOs and this working group, the Subcommittee on Outreach which really brings all of the different regions together, but also with the Regional Vice Presidents.

I have found that it's sometimes difficult to find out what is going on also across the region with all of the different things that are going on when outreach is concerned, and I would have thought that this subcommittee would be the right location for all of the interchange and exchange of information. So I don't know whether we should think about putting some kind of a space where all of the outreach stuff going on in all the regions should go, a wiki page or something. I know that we have calendars, but I don't know if the calendars work too well. They're not being filled so well.

So maybe a wiki space that somebody is in charge of updating and just adding things or that people can update and add their own things going on. I personally don't really know that much about what's happening at

ICANN60, but I see there's something going on in this working group that says outreach at ICANN60, so I look forward to hearing all of the input from APRALO and from the Regional Vice Presidents as to what's happening there. But anyway, something like a space where all that stuff can be would be really helpful. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Olivier. I agree. And I think that we really do need to have this coordinated and perhaps have a wiki page, although I see comments from staff that that was attempted, but apparently it may not have been successful.

Well, let's hear some more comments first. Glenn, and then Cheryl.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, very briefly. I was hoping Alfredo could speak up and talk about the ARIN on the Road. I just wanted to mention that this was graciously supported by the discretionary funds, and all of you who realize that there is this small pot of money for stuff exactly like what ISOC Puerto Rico did in terms of outreach – and we have an MoU with ARIN, and it was an excellent example of bringing lots of people together and having a really good impact, and the guys who organized it really did a fantastic job. So kudos to the guys in Puerto Rico. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Glenn. And I think I did remember seeing Alfredo posting some – thinking maybe it might have been a Skype chat or something. Maybe that can be shared on the Outreach and Engagement list,

Alfredo. And I see you posting it on the chat. That's great. Thanks for that.

Okay, I see Cheryl. Go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you, Dev. Just going to take you on a very brief moment of my experiences in another organization, and that is when after not 15 and 20 years of work, but after 100 years of work, we were deeply engaged in history. And I'd like to encourage us while we're collecting these resources and these social network and very important visual records, I'd say Flickr and all sorts of things with photos, that the [plethora] that we have transient access to terrifies me as somebody who has spent some time in history projects in the past, and I'm sure Glenn can understand where I'm coming from here.

So whilst I am absolutely keen on having a better and more coordinated accumulation and archive of what we all do – for a whole bunch of reasons which I don't need to go into – I would love to see some recognized standard of identification and details going with what we're collecting.

This is a separate thing, but it's something I just wanted to raise now that we can pin to the board and come back to – perhaps in an entirely different group, I don't know. Perhaps just within staff's and ICANN's knowledge project. Again, I don't know. But I do know it's something that needs to be looked at and looked at relatively soon. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Cheryl. I certainly agree that that [type] is needed. Should we at least begin to try to capture that? I don't think we'll have time to actually capture that and discuss in detail in this call, but I think we need to capture that and make that an agenda item for the next call, so how we want to interact with those types of things.

Glenn, [inaudible] time. Glenn, go ahead. Glenn, if you're saying something, you're muted. Okay, I'm not hearing Glenn, unfortunately. And I hope people are hearing me. I just perhaps want to give the floor over to either somebody from APRALO as to what sort of ideas that you're thinking [inaudible] wants to do for Abu Dhabi ICANN60. Ali? Okay, go ahead.

ALI ALMESHAL: Thanks, Dev. From APRALO itself as an outreach activity, what we are trying to do is to coordinate our effort with exactly what Olivier just said with the GSE for the region. Baher is coordinating a number of activities, and something will start soon in September. So I would recommend that in next call for this subcommittee to invite Baher with us as well to look into the activity that will be [looked] in by the GSE themselves. So that's what we are trying to do from an APRALO as well, just to look into that.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Alright. Thanks. Unmute? Yes. Thanks, Ali. Excellent idea, and it's also following what Olivier said about getting the GSE involved in coordinating with potential outreach. So perhaps let's have that as an action item to invite to the GSE from the AP region, whoever he or she may be, to invite them, and we could probably have a special purpose

call to just focus on the ARPALO outreach – no, outreach activities at ICANN60.

Olivier, I see you have a hand raised.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thanks very much, Dev. So, Ali, it's great that something is going to happen. Do you have any plans at present as far as APRALO itself is concerned, independently of what the Regional Vice President is going to be doing, for outreach? And I was going to add even inreach at that level, since I understand that there's going to be quite a number of activities. This is, if I understand correctly, going to be a general assembly time as well, isn't it?

ALI ALMESHAL: Yes. Thanks, Olivier. We have our subcommittee for the general assembly in UAE, and Liana is coordinating these activities that will be done. So we said from an APRALO we'll try not to double do the works for the outreach activity.

I know that there is the Middle East Strategy Group which I'm part of also doing different activities or inreach activity within the meeting time of ICANN. So that's what we need all to coordinate instead of doing separate activities to reach the same community within UAE there. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thank you, Ali. Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Dev. And just to add to what Ali has said, we're sort of working in a new area for APRALO, and it's probably an underserved region of our [area] and then for us as a RALO. And I think it's mainly because there's quite a lot of ICANN interest in the Middle East so that – and we haven't actually sort of really been too involved.

Baher does come to our APRALO meetings and explains what's happening, but I think having Ali there is really valuable for us to try and see how we can as a RALO to become more engaged in what is actually happening in another section of our region, which to be honest many of us do not know much about.

So we're actually going through our own onboarding process as we are developing our GA activities. But as Ali said, Liana is in charge of the general ICANN60 outreach, and I know that she's having to work – as working in with Ali and Baher. And also there's a new GSE person for her region, so that's something else that she will have to be dealing with as well.

So it's work in progress, and at this particular point in time we don't actually have any specifics, but Ali and Liana will get back to us, and I'll get back to you. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay. Thanks for that, Maureen. Yes, just checking where I was on the – yes, thanks, Maureen, for that. Ali, I see a hand raised. Perhaps you want to respond?

ALI ALMESHAL: Yes. Thanks, Dev. Just to update you some of the activities that already have been done here which I'll start doing in Bahrain for the universities. I have approached universities in Bahrain and done some, let's say, sessions there, specifically towards for the NextGen to encourage them to participate part of NextGen and enroll into the program, and giving them an idea about what ICANN and what they can do.

The next step, coordinating with the entrepreneur center in Egypt, which is a result of the Middle East Strategy Working Group. So that entrepreneur center is doing some workshops and activities, and the plan once the universities start – in Bahrain in specific, which will be in September, middle of September almost – we will have just planning or coordinating that to have a session in Bahrain with different government and private universities that they'll be giving some workshop about DNSSEC and other topics as well. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thank you, Ali. And I think [inaudible] good comments also in the chat. So I see –

YESIM NAZLAR: Dev, can you hear me? Okay. I'm just checking with our operator, and she says Dev is disconnected, so we'll be redialing him shortly. And Dev, meanwhile I see you're connected to the Adobe Connect, so would you like to use your microphone? I'll be unmuting you. You're unmuted

now. Could you please try to speak through your laptop's microphone?

Okay, it seems he's not speaking to –

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Dev Anand Teelucksingh.

YESIM NAZLAR: Okay. Perfect. Dev. Yes.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you very much. Are you all hearing me now?

YESIM NAZLAR: Yes, we can. Thank you, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Alright. Sorry about that. Unfortunately, it's a snafu there. But I'm now back on the call. Very quickly, I just wanted to outline some steps going forward on this. So let's have a special purpose call for the outreach activities at ICANN60. And following Ali AlMeshal and Olivier's suggestions, let's invite the GSEs so we're aware of what is happening and other relevant ICANN persons such as Siranush for the Fellows and like Adam Peake for the civil society outreach and so forth. And let's see how with can plug all of these things in.

I'm thinking that, for example, with the Fellows now that we know when the Fellows are coming, we could probably have a session with the Fellows, for example.

Alright. And of course invite everybody involved, including the RALO leadership at APRALO and so forth. And let's see if we could try to document all of this on a wiki page that is all in one location. I know it's been tried in the past, but we need to really try and make sure it works.

Alright. Also, finally on Any Other Business – and I know it's five minutes past the hour and we have interpreters, so I do want to make this short announcement. I will be stepping down as the Chair of the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee at ICANN60 due to personal reasons. So, it'll be a good opportunity for the group itself to come and select a Chair and also pick a person to be the Chair from the Latin American and Caribbean region. But like I said, I will Chair this right until ICANN60, and then the new Chair could take over from the outreach and engagement meeting at ICANN60.

Alright, so I see hands raised. Olivier, and Glenn McKnight. Mindful of the time, people. Go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Dev. Just a quick question on this. It's of course just an au revoir I know, and of course we're going to see you a lot more until the ICANN meeting, but what is the process to select a new Chair? What's the process to select a Chair from the Latin American region? Is this for this working group to do, or is it for the region to do?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I think one of the things that I did when I became the Chair, when the group got reconstituted, was that I just simply [asked]. There was no real prerequisite because it was never clear [in the] reconstitution to have regional co-Chairs. I was just asked if I suggest any I had in mind.

So I don't want to answer specific, because perhaps we have to then come up with a process for that, or whether because this is an ALAC Subcommittee, maybe the ALAC may want to select the Chair. I don't know. So we can probably have a discussion afterwards and get a more definitive answer.

Glenn, and then Heidi.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. I guess this is your personal decision, it's not a decision outside of your bailiwick. Is that correct, Dev?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I'm sorry, Glenn, I didn't quite catch that. Could you just repeat that quickly?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: That's okay. I'm sorry. Your decision not to be the Chair anymore, is this your decision, or was this another decision? Because it's interesting that you're making this decision midstream. So I just wanted to get some clarification why you're making this, why are you stepping down?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Well, for one, for personal reasons. That is the key reason, for personal reasons. I've been very occupied [with] ICANN activities, chairing four working groups and I do need to make some adjustments.

Very well. I might as well just come out and say it. I'm expecting to be a father very soon.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hooray. I was thinking that. Dev, excellent.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: And so the ICANN60 meeting I think will be a good time to hand over at least – all, if not most of my chairing activities. So that's my core, key reason for doing this.

Alright. Thanks, everyone, for the congratulations. Okay, Heidi, you have a final comment?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. I'm very happy now. I'm still pleased with the [breaking news]. Coming back to business for a second, when you mentioned the Chair from LACRALO, did you mean co-Chair? Because I'm looking at the working group portal for this group and you're listed as both Chair and co-Chair.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes. So I think that's what [inaudible] then go back, and I guess we'll have a consultation with exactly how that process should work, because when the group was reconstituted, the idea of regional co-Chairs wasn't there. It was just – and that was something I came up with when I was nominated and I accepted the chairing position way back when. I can't remember now, sometime after ICANN53 when the group was first reconstituted.

I still think having regional co-Chairs is very important, because the outreach is such a very broad issue, and I think it needs actual regional inputs from anybody in the community to help coordinate these things. And obviously, I would like – well, [I mean] we have outreach and engagement calls for ICANN60, but having the co-Chairs has been very valuable. Okay, so perhaps you can just have a consult with Alan and with ALAC as to how the best process to move forward on that.

Okay, any other hands raised? Heidi, is that a follow-up hand?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, sorry. Old hand. I'm so excited. I'm sorry.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thank you all so very much. It's 11 minutes past the hour, and apologies to the interpreters for taking this extra time, but I'd like to thank everybody for attending this call. Very good inputs, and obviously quite a few action items. So let's ensure those action items are carried out promptly, in time for ICANN60 and for the IGF. So with that, I'd like

to thank everyone for attending this call. This call is now adjourned.
Have a wonderful morning, afternoon, evening. Bye.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Bye, everyone.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Bye all.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you all. This meeting is now adjourned. Have a lovely rest of the
day. Bye-bye.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Bye, everyone.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]