

---

RECORDED VOICE: This meeting is now being recorded.

LAUREEN KAPIN: Thank you to our terrific staff and David Taylor who has joined. I'm sure some very challenging hours for a variety of people on the line, so I appreciate you participating. David, it's going to be a short call because it's just you and me. So given that, maybe you can give me -- and also for the purposes of the folks who may listen to this recording, maybe if you give a quick update on the INTA activities.

DAVID TAYLOR: I hope it's not going to be too exciting for anyone that's actually going to listen to this call afterwards this between me and you.

LAUREEN KAPIN: Actually, now you're difficult to hear, David.

DAVID TAYLOR: Okay, maybe I'll actually call back if you can't hear me too well.

LAUREEN KAPIN: Now I can hear you.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

DAVID TAYLOR: Now you can hear me. I'm not sure why it's going in and out. You can hear me well now?

LAUREEN KAPIN: Yes.

DAVID TAYLOR: Or not? Yes. Okay. Good. I was saying I hope it's not going to be too exciting for people who are going to actually listen to this call listening to me and you have a chat. But there we go. So INTA, the sub team, we've got a set of queries and takeaways from the INTA and [inaudible] study report which is something that's a big group. They're not particularly copious on the table, but we've got what we got and we need to move forward on that because that's being sent to the ICANN meeting in Johannesburg. We've extracted these and this is what we'll take forward.

INTA, I know, have been looking on their end, I've had a number of emails to and fro on that for two or three weeks. So they've got a set of similar takeaways, should we say, using the same table format as the table format I was proposing so at least we've got the same format. I don't know if somebody from INTA is looking through those at the moment. It's not Lori. He's due to send them to me this week. So in theory it'll get to me but it'll probably get here some time later today or tomorrow. And I've got a call now with him tomorrow evening to try and run through them.

---

And then we've arranged a call with Neilson next week so that they'll be waiting for that to see what they came. That'll probably be, I'm assuming, Lori might be on the call probably. But obviously if anybody else wants to join on that call, anybody's always welcome to come on these calls to get more intuitive. So we can do that but I imagine that probably [inaudible] said he wants to be on that call but maybe they will be welcome.

So we'll do that call and then based on that hopefully we'll have something we can start putting together and I'll finally draft both sections which after our plan I'm hoping to do. So I presume it'll be next week, is when I'll sit down and shut myself away for a day and do that next week and share those around. That's my report.

LAUREEN KAPIN: Great, so in terms of the call next week, that basically is to ask some questions to Nielson about the study results? Am I correct?

DAVID TAYLOR: Yes, that's the point. Any of the clarifications we've got, we got any of the clarifications we're seeking [inaudible] if there's enough information for me to build those takeaways into the report, so to say.

LAUREEN KAPIN: Great, so thank you, David. And I see we've also had Fabro and Carlton join, so welcome Fabro and Carlton. Just another follow up question, I want to make sure that you have seen the proposal to consolidate recommendation 10.

---

DAVID TAYLOR: And the question I've got is if I get that call, if I do the call with INTA on Thursday, which is tomorrow, and I do the call with Nielson, let's say, on Tuesday, it's yet to be confirmed; if I try and put that together during the course of next week, does that work on our timing to get that back? The earliest I could possibly do is Wednesday if I sit down and have nothing else to do, but realistically it'll be some time Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. I'm just not sure what the final timing's under.

LAUREEN KAPIN: Yes, that'll work, David. I just want to make sure that you also see as something for you to consider is whether recommendations 10 and 40 can be combined. And I just want to make sure that's on your radar screen because I think there was a recommendation that came out of our sister/brother sub team, recommendation 10, that also related to right-protected mechanisms.

DAVID TAYLOR: Apologies Laureen, I'm not picking this up because it's going in and out so I don't know whether -- I'm looking at my connection here. I'm just going to try to log back in because it's fading in and out and it's bizarre because I'm still in the office. I'll log back in and come back on.

LAUREEN KAPIN: That's fine, I'm also going to type something in the chat for you. [AUDIO BREAK]

---

Okay, so David is going to log back in so we'll put that to the side for now. Basically, I wanted to make sure that was drawn to David's attention. So now we have Carlton and Fabro also on the line. I want to make sure that you have both seen the guidance attached to my email of yesterday regarding recommendations and sort of our best practices for those.

Carlton, I know you had already done some work on consolidating your recommendations and had sent in some language. So what I'll ask you and everyone else to do is make sure that you're also incorporating sort of the recommendation formatting and content guidance that I sent around yesterday. And that really goes for everyone. The other thing that I want to highlight is that basically -- great, thank you Carlton, who has seen this and will review and respond.

The other thing I want to emphasize is that basically our work plan is going to give us the next couple of weeks through August to revise and share with our subgroup any changes we want to the preliminary draft, both in terms of consolidation, in terms of responding to public comments, in terms of making anything that needs to be made more clear more explicit. All that work needs to be done over the next couple of weeks so that we can complete the work by the week of August 21<sup>st</sup>, sometime in that time period. So I want to make sure everyone is very well aware of that deadline and to the extent folks have questions about that guidance or about anything else in terms of plans going forward in terms of this revision process. That's what I want to make sure is open for discussion.

---

And what I also want to emphasize is just because your recommendations aren't the topic of consolidation doesn't mean you shouldn't also be taking a look at those recommendations independently because almost everyone's recommendations were the subject of some sort of public comment. And if you deem it prudent to respond to those comments or change the text of the preliminary draft or your recommendation in some way, now is the time to be doing that work whether you're consolidating or not. And the assignment, the penholders, are on I guess Jerry's email which is also up on the screen. So I wanted to basically open the floor up for any questions or comments that folks may have.

And glad to see you back David. I'm going to loop back to you in a minute. Well, I'm going to loop back to you after we have an opportunity to address any questions or concerns that folks have. [AUDIO BREAK]

Questions? Comments? I'm not seeing hands, so I assume that means things are clear. But Drew is typing so we'll wait and see what Drew has to say. [AUDIO BREAK]

The other thing I want to make clear is that this is totally separate and apart from whatever new material we put into the preliminary draft as a result of the DNS. The new study, which I think we're going to be getting the final version the first week of August. Some people are missing this meeting due to Adobe Connect issues. Okay, so this falls under the technical difficulties problem. Can I ask, is it possible for one of our team members to try and reach Calvin so that he can join since he's wanting to join? [AUDIO BREAK]

---

Okay, I don't know why we're having so many more technical problems with this interface. Okay, and Brenda is going to reach out to Calvin. Thank you. Yeah, and I've had some delays with loading too. Okay, well let's just see back for our technical folks. Okay, so there's plenty of feedback for the technical folks that folks are having problems with this interface.

Coming back to the topic at hand, does anyone have questions about our plan going forward? And David, what I wanted to loop back to you on is to make sure that this possibility of combining 10 and 40 is on your radar screen. That's just a query to you, I'm not saying it should be combined but it's showing overlap. [AUDIO BREAK]

DAVID TAYLOR:

Okay, Laureen, I've noticed on my Adobe issues, whenever I unmute my microphone everything goes blank for about 30 seconds. So when you started saying David, I started unmuting my microphone and probably missed everything you said. So maybe you can say it again and I won't mute because every time I mute and unmute I lose your voice.

LAUREEN KAPIN:

Okay, so what I said is to make sure that the proposal to combine 10 and 40 is on your radar screen and that it's just a proposal, it's not a mandate. But they did seem to address overlapping subject matter so I just want to make sure you take a look at that and come back to us with your recommendation on that.

---

DAVID TAYLOR:

Okay, I'll have a look. It wasn't on the radar but it is now.

LAUREEN KAPIN:

Okay, that's good. So that is basically what I wanted to emphasize for this call. Gao, welcome, we're basically just going over expectations. So to emphasize that all the work in terms of revisions is going to need to be done over the next couple of weeks so that any proposed changes to the draft report in response to public comments and for consolidated recommendations or intents to make the justifications for our recommendations more explicit, all of that needs to be finalized in August, by August 24<sup>th</sup>.

So I want to make sure that people know that because that's going to involve a series of plenary calls where we're going to be discussing people's proposed changes. So that's not get me your proposed changes by the 24<sup>th</sup>, that means we'll have gotten the proposed changes in, we'll have a schedule of calls where people's changes are scheduled to be discussed and I'll come up with the proposal, and that will all be finalized by August 24<sup>th</sup>. So I want to make sure people are aware of that so that the work is being done now.

And the other thing I emphasized Gao is that the guidance that I sent around yesterday, really all of our recommendations should make sure to address the points contained in that guidance. David, your hand is up. Your hand is down. Does anyone have any questions or comments?



---

DREW BAGLEY:

Yeah, this is Drew. I was wondering, where did we land on how best to edit chapters and share those changes? So for me I'll be putting up a DNS Abuse Chapter. Now I have a lot of material to incorporate and for some of the other chapters there will likely be people doing minor edits and what not. And so I know we discussed whether or not to use Google Docs still or whether we would just circulate Word drafts and I'm trying to remember what we decided in Johannesburg about that.

LAUREEN KAPIN:

You know, honestly Drew, I'm not sure what we decided. I don't have access to Google Docs and I have personally found Google Docs to be challenging but I know others have not. I'd say we need to at least make sure for some of our purposes, because I know others have had challenges with Google Docs also, that it gets distributed in a Word document with a Track Changes function so that people can see where the changes are.

So my suggestion would be to use what you're comfortable with but then make sure that you're able to get that also into a Word document that's circulated. And when you circulate things, don't circulate the whole draft report because it's way too big and it'll crash people's email systems. Just circulate your particular chapter that has changes.

DREW BAGLEY:

Do we have the final draft report after we made those corrections to the footnotes in Word format? Or only in PDF?

---

LAUREEN KAPIN: I don't know, that's actually a good question for staff. Does anyone want to speak to that? It probably would be helpful to give folks access to a Word version of the most recent version of the report which includes some corrections.

ELEEZA AGOPIAN: Hi, this is Eleeza. The problem with the Word version of the report, it has a lot of design elements in it so it makes it really hard to actually edit the text without kind of changing the formatting and it becomes difficult to work with.

I think Jean-Baptiste is working on a way of getting that version to everyone, of getting a more editable version over. I'm not sure if that happened or not. He's out this week. Alice, I'm not sure if you know where that started? [AUDIO BREAK]

I think Alice may be in the car or she may have difficulty talking, I'm not sure.

LAUREEN KAPIN: Okay, let's make sure when we do have clarity on that that you just send around an update just letting us know where things stand and what to expect because I don't want to create, actually, problems by having folks edit things that then are going to be hard to incorporate back. So let's make sure we get as quick an update about that as possible so folks know what they're going to be editing.

In the meanwhile though, folks do have access to the latest version of the report so you certainly can use that as a working copy for your edits

---

even if you're going to do something as old fashioned as taking notes and writing things out. I don't want work to stop because we don't have this document. But I also don't want to direct people to make edits on something that isn't going to be compatible with what we're going to be producing as a final product. So let's get an update on that and maybe we can put that -- my connection is lost, so I'm not seeing the most recent version of the screen.

ELEEZA AGOPIAN:

We can add it to the action items, Laureen. And one other thing I just recalled. And sorry, I haven't paid too much attention to this element of the project, but I seem to recall that Jean-Baptiste actually sent around an email describing the process of how we would actually edit the text and I'm trying to find it now in one of my inboxes. And once I find that, I'll share that with the team.

LAUREEN KAPIN:

Okay, that sounds good because candidly, I don't recall that. I know we were all getting lots of emails. That doesn't mean that it wasn't quite recent, I just can't recall it. Probably after this I'll be able to find it easily and say "Oh". Thank you for that though, Eleeza. At this point, any other questions or any other topics from anyone on the phone? If staff has any reminders or updates? Or if anyone else on the phone has any questions about process or anything I sent around? [AUDIO BREAK]

And maybe we can also, as an update and an action item, we can also get some feedback on why our technical interphase seems to be deteriorating of late. So we can at least get some explanation and some

---

workarounds that would probably make these calls a lot more efficient especially because it looks like at least Calvin wasn't even able to join this time.

Thanks Brian, thanks for being the note taker and following up on this. And you can note David's issues as well, the delay and the challenges hearing.

I'm seeing your typing David about the delay of the chat. And nothing I type is appearing now because actually it's appearing to me. That's funny. Okay, any other questions or comments? Rest assured, nothing is being censored or deleted, no content regulation here. [AUDIO BREAK]

Okay, if that's the case, then again I will let folks go to proceed on with the substantive work. If anyone has any questions in the interim, please feel free to reach out to me. I'm happy to answer emails or chat by phone, whatever is useful for folks, so please don't hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions or concerns. [AUDIO BREAK]

And with that, I'll end the call and thank everyone for their participation. I know we had some technical problems, so everyone's participation is very much appreciated. Take care and have a good rest of the week and a lovely weekend.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Bye. Thank you, you too.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**