
JAMES GANNON: This is I believe the first meeting. Yes, it is the first meeting of the IANA Transition Subgroup for the SSR2 review. And very quickly there is my [inaudible] Cathy Handley, and we have apologies from Eric, and we have de facto apologies from Geoff as it is currently 6:00 a.m. where he is, I believe. We have Jennifer and Yvette from staff on the call. Cathy, do you have any SOI updates?

CATHY HANDLEY: Nope.

JAMES GANNON: I have an SOI update, but it is not relevant to ICANN. I'm starting a new role, but it does not change any of my conflicts of interest. So, first off, if I can do my screen sharing correctly, then I've got my – there's static on my mic. Okay. I'm going to share our lovely Trello.

[inaudible] Awesome. Let me know if you can see that.

CATHY HANDLEY: Yes.

JAMES GANNON: Excellent. Cathy, [inaudible]

CATHY HANDLEY: Yes.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

JAMES GANNON: Okay. [inaudible] the Trello tab for the SSR2 subtopic IANA transition if they want to get a better review on it. But essentially, this is just basically a match of what we've done, what we have left to do, and what things should we work out, what are the final things that we need to add into our backlog of tasks.

So, very briefly, we've completed our interviews with Kim and Elise, and Elise also gave us some feedback I believe, Cathy, on the time zone management database, and we were told that that is okay and not something that really needs to be in our scope. That was a conversation that happened in Johannesburg, correct?

CATHY HANDLEY: Correct.

JAMES GANNON: Excellent. So, the work in progress items are things that we have started on, but not necessarily finished. There are a couple of outstanding asks from the ICANN organization that we're tracking a lot of these currently still work in progress due to the fact that the NDAs and the confidential disclosure framework has not been finalized, and so there are a number of documents that we have requested, the presentation on the [RDMS] for example.

We have requested the IANA [inaudible] continuity plan or the continuity of operations plan as I believe it's known, and both from the process side and from the [inaudible] which are potentially captured in

two different documents. And we have also asked for the migration side of that set of documents, that if at some stage in the future, the IANA functions are moved to a new operator, what is the contingency planning for operationalizing the migration to a new operator.

We have also asked for some documentation around staff retention planning with [NTTI] and this is something again that came out of the work of the CWG, worked out the capability of the PTI to manage and maintain key members of staff, has an important resiliency team within PTI, so we've asked for some additional documentation around the staff retention plan.

That is most of what our current work in progress is. Does anybody have any questions or comments on any of that?

CATHY HANDLEY:

Just the fact that I think we're chugging along, and once we get the NDA stuff done, I think we'll be able to wrap up the rest of this stuff, hopefully.

JAMES GANNON:

Yes, agreed. So, the things that we have not I supposed formalized into actual requests yet are we had some comments around presentation or some documentation on how PTI defines genuine requestors and this was previously I believe done using, for example, [PGP] signatures between contacts, and between at the time IANA staff, and that is something that we had talked about but haven't actually turned into a request yet. Do we have any thoughts on should we flesh that out a bit?

CATHY HANDLEY: I'm familiar with the PGP, because that's what was in effect when I was doing it. Before I would recommend something, I would need to probably sit down – it was basically just used on [inaudible] and I'd have to have a clear understanding of the new way things work, because now the actual owner can do things versus having it only be ICANN. But I think it's more of a question that I can work on of how would something like PGP work with – or do they not think it's necessary? I'm open to however you think would be best.

JAMES GANNON: What I'll do then is let's just put a note on it that you're going to investigate and follow up, and I'll leave that task for you to work on and keep moving with. If you want to put due dates on Trello, [inaudible] for yourself, feel free to. Otherwise, we'll just track [inaudible]. We're not under any great time pressure in this group, so we can work on these things on our own time.

CATHY HANDLEY: I think what I will do, James, is reach out to Kim and such in Abu Dhabi, and have a chat with them there. I think that would be easiest to get an idea and see what he says, and then follow up with it, if you don't mind.

JAMES GANNON: Yes, that sounds good to me. So then moving on to the other two items in the backlog, we talked about this in – I think this is going way back to Madrid, and we wanted to know at one stage how PTI in the new root

zone management system did their checks and balances, how do they do their review of requests, and how do they manage the gates that the requests most move through? Can we consider this closed post our conversation with Kim and Alice in Johannesburg where they walked us through that process, or do we need additional documentation?

CATHY HANDLEY: It was satisfactory as far I'm concerned, so I think we can show it closed.

JAMES GANNON: Perfect. That one's done. And then our last one was – this is something again we started in Madrid and had a brief I suppose conversation about this topic, which is the training documentation for the processes and procedures that PTI staff execute. So, we know now that there is documentation there, and we've asked to see some of that as examples.

But we were told that there is some formalized training regime around how this is managed and kept up to date and everything else, and I personally think we should probably investigate that a bit more, and I would like to see how PTI/ICANN manages its training process and how they keep people up to date on changes to procedures and everything else. So I'd like us to take this one and turn this into a request for that formally.

CATHY HANDLEY: I think that's totally reasonable. We talked about it, and maybe once we get past the NDAs, if then we can actually see what they have, that may answer some of those questions.

JAMES GANNON: So, Jennifer, could you take an action to investigate who we need to ask for that documentation? And then if necessary, you can put proper language around what it is, but essentially, it's, "How did ICANN manage its training for its staff that execute against procedures or operational documents?"

JENNIFER BRYCE: Okay.

JAMES GANNON: Perfect. So, that is everything from the backlog, so we have everything identified on what we're working on at the moment.

CATHY HANDLEY: Jennifer?

JENNIFER BRYCE: Yes.

CATHY HANDLEY: I'm thinking she's here.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Yes.

CATHY HANDLEY: Okay. Could you do me a big favor and reach out to Kim Davies and ask him for some time that we can chat during the ICANN meeting?

JENNIFER BRYCE: Yes, sure.

CATHY HANDLEY: Preferably the beginning of the week.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Okay.

CATHY HANDLEY: Are you going to be there? You're going to be there, right?

JENNIFER BRYCE: Yes, I will be there.

CATHY HANDLEY: Alright. Maybe when you can attend too.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Okay.

CATHY HANDLEY: Is that alright?

JENNIFER BRYCE: Yes, sure. He may not know his schedule like right now, but I can definitely ask and make sure that we -

CATHY HANDLEY: That's fine.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Yes. No problem.

CATHY HANDLEY: I know how busy everybody gets during that time.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Right. [inaudible] to attend.

CATHY HANDLEY: [inaudible] I'm sorry?

JENNIFER BRYCE: Bernie Turcotte from staff would like to attend.

CATHY HANDLEY: That's fine. And Bernie, this is not on training, this is on PGP alternatives for zone [mods.] Okay, good. Just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.

JAMES GANNON: Excellent.

CATHY HANDLEY: Alrighty.

JAMES GANNON: So, the next thing we have done is the plenary has put out a work plan, which includes tasks for the subgroups. I'm generally okay with it, and I don't really want to go back and essentially rewrite every single task. So, what I'd like to do is suggest that we consider this – basically, the most important part for us is it has us delivering our draft report early next year, which I don't think is going to be a problem for us. I think we'll come in way ahead of those dates.

But what I'd like the group to do – and this goes for anybody who is also listening to the recording – is, let's say by the end of the month, so by next Thursday if possible, could people have a quick look through this and compare it to what we have put on our Trello? And I think everything is captured on our Trello in much simpler, clearer language, and it's [inaudible] but I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything, essentially.

So, if people could have a look at that by next Thursday or Friday, and then for the meeting on the following Tuesday for the plenary, we can report back that we are happy with the broad strokes of the work plan as it relates to our subgroup.

CATHY HANDLEY: Okay. Because we have already gone through a bunch of this.

JAMES GANNON: Correct, yes.

CATHY HANDLEY: Yes, that sounds good.

JAMES GANNON: Yes. So, there are two I suppose questions that come out of this topic for me. I hope I already know the answer to both of them, but let's just make sure, and decide on [inaudible]. My personal opinion is I don't think we need to fly out to L.A. to talk to Kim or Elise, and so, can we conclude here formally that we do not need to conduct any site visits to complete our subgroup work?

CATHY HANDLEY: Yes, as far as I'm concerned.

JAMES GANNON: Okay. Perfect. Let's consider that decision taken. And then the other item would be, do we want to continue to have weekly or biweekly or triweekly calls, or will we do this more ad hoc as and when we have topics that we want to get everybody on the same page on? What way do we want to approach that?

CATHY HANDLEY: My vote would be ad hoc.

JAMES GANNON: Okay. I'm supportive of that. Yvette or Jennifer, could you give us feedback on whether there's an expectation that we meet on a regular basis from the co-Chairs? I've asked, but I haven't got any feedback yet.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Sure. There is no expectation. All the subgroup calls at the request of the co-Chairs were suspended based on – well, it's up to you really as a rapporteur and amongst the group how often you want to meet. So, ad hoc is perfectly fine.

JAMES GANNON: Okay. Excellent, so let's consider that taken as well then that we will meet formally on calls as and when is needed, and we can conduct everything else on the [group] list. But essentially, our next step is wait for the NDAs to be finalized, and then once that happens, we will need to push for the documentation to be made available as soon as possible.

With regards to that, is there anything we need to do, Jennifer, to make sure that that happens quickly once the NDAs are signed and agreed?

JENNIFER BRYCE: From what I understand, the NDAs are going to – Legal is working on them, and will [draft] the new documents by Monday, I think. And then I haven't been privy to the discussions, I'm not quite sure what happens next, but I'm assuming that you and Kerry-Ann need to present them to the review team at that point.

JAMES GANNON: Sorry, my question was more about once that process is done and we are all signed up, NDA [inaudible] members, how quickly will ICANN Org be able to produce documentation for us, and is there anything we can do to make sure that that happens quickly?

JENNIFER BRYCE: Yes. I'm not sure how – I guess it'll depend on each case, so I'll have to get back to you on that one.

JAMES GANNON: [inaudible]. If you could come back on that, that would be useful, because anything we can pre-prepare and give you guys the details of exactly what we want. It's all in the Trello, but that might need to be fleshed out into, "Okay, we want exactly this document or exactly that document" so that once the NDAs are signed, then we can get our hands on those as quickly as possible.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Okay. Bernie has his hand raised, I see.

JAMES GANNON: Sorry, Bernie. Go ahead.

BERNARD TURCOTTE: On that topic of getting documents, I think you might want to make a strategic decision at this point on that. Staff has a habit of taking these things as a full package request, and so if they don't have 100% of the documents, they may wait until they do 100% to give it to you, and that's your decision if you want to do that.

however, if you want to give instructions that partial dumps are okay, you may be able to speed up your acquisition of your documents significantly. Just trying to be helpful for a tip here.

JAMES GANNON: That's perfect. Yes, we can definitely do that. I will take an action to break out each of our documents into I suppose [almost] priorities and make sure that we have mapped that to separate requests from staff. And Jennifer, I'll send that to you by the end of the week to make sure that there's a cohesive list and that we will take some individually as they come. If they don't come as a package, we can take them all individually.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Okay. Thanks.

JAMES GANNON: Perfect. So, that is all of the formal meeting stuff done that I needed to cover. Cathy or Bernie, anybody else, do you have anything else you want to cover under AoB?

CATHY HANDLEY: No, I'm good.

JAMES GANNON: Jennifer, Yvette, anything?

YVETTE GUIGNEUX: No, I'm good here.

JENNIFER BRYCE: No, thank you.

JAMES GANNON: Excellent. I think we can consider this formally closed, and we can stop the recording. Thank you, everybody.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]