

**ICANN**

**Moderator: Maryam Bakoshi**  
**November 14, 2017**  
**8:00 am CT**

Maryam Bakoshi: Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. This is the 2018 NCPH Intersessional Discussion Call on Tuesday, 14th of November, 2017 at 14:00 UTC. On the call today we have Arsene Tungali, Ayden Ferdeline, Barbara Wanner, Carlos Gutierrez, Damon Ashcraft, Farzaneh Badii, Gangadhar Panday, Heather Forrest, Joan Kerr, Kiran Malancharuvil, Paul McGrady, Philippe Fouquart, Raoul Plommer, Robin Gross, Steve DelBianco, Tatiana Tropina, and Tony Holmes. We have apologies from Lori Schulman.

On the phone bridge, we have Juan Manuel Rojas, and Jimson Olufuye. And from staff, we have Andrea Glandon, Benedetta Rossi, and myself, Maryam Bakoshi. I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and over to you, Benedetta.

Benedetta Rossi: Thank you very much, Maryam, and thank you all for joining. This is probably the best turnout we ever had at one of the intersessional planning calls. So thank you all very much for dedicating the time to this. So just to kick off, just a quick review of the agenda. The bulk of the call will probably be focused on the actual agenda discussion. We have a couple of updates in

terms of logistics from staff, a brief update on the delegate list, and then the rest of the call will be focused on the actual agenda and then obviously, any other business in case anybody else has anything that they'd like to discuss.

In terms of the actual staff logistics, I just wanted to confirm that the ICANN meetings team has conducted the site visit at the Doubletree Hotel West Side. So the venue is not confirmed both in terms of the actual meeting space and the hotel. It will also be the same hotel for councilors during the GNSO Council Strategic Session, which is going to immediately proceed the intersessional meeting. So that will be handy for those of you who are attending both meetings. You won't have to change hotel or travel across Los Angeles to attend the intersessional meetings.

The dates obviously confirmed again, February 1 and 2 in LA. In terms of other meetings that are happening in LA at that time, as we previously discussed, there is going to be the Board workshops and the planning is currently underway but unfortunately don't have a confirmed date. So the only thing that impacts the intersessional planning is just I would like to ask you all if potentially even today or at least next week, once we look at the agenda, if you can actually think about which senior executive or board members you would like to invite to the intersessional. Just so we can try and lock down their availability as soon as possible, or they can at least take it into account once planning for the Board workshop. That would be very helpful.

Unfortunately, we don't have any information. We have reached out to Göran Marby's office. It's tentatively penciled in on February the 1st, but again, we'll discuss that when we get to the actual agenda since we don't actually have a finalized slot for Göran Marby's attendance at the intersessional either. And I note that Steve had mentioned Matthew Shears and he has confirmed his attendance for February 1. But again, that hinges on when the Board

workshop is going to take place. Last we heard, it was going to start on February 2nd, but they haven't actually finalized that.

So if it's not happening on February 1st then Matthew has confirmed that he will be attending the intersessional on that day. And other board members had also expressed an interest. George Sadowsky, who had joined last year, also mentioned that he was interested in attending if the NCPH leaders would accept for board members to attend.

Does anybody have any questions on this specific item?

Steve DelBianco: Marika, it's Steve Del Bianco. Quick question. The organizational effectiveness committee of the board was helpful in Iceland focusing on things like the GNSO review and ICANN's other kind of specific reviews where we wanted to be sure that we got adequate representation. Who will be the new members of the OEC and could you potentially invite them as well?

Benedetta Rossi: Thank you, Steve. We just invite them all or just the chair like we did last year. The new chair is to be (Khalid Guba) for the Border Organization Effectiveness Committee and I think George had asked (unintelligible) to be on the OEC.

Steve DelBianco: Right, and last year we had (Renalia), George Sadowsky, and Markus Kummer who were all members of OEC. So maybe that was just coincidental but if we could have two or three members of OEC I think that would be beneficial.

Benedetta Rossi: Thank you, Steve. Farzaneh, I see that your hand is up too. Go ahead.

Farzaneh Badii: Thank you, Benedetta. Farzaneh Badii speaking. So as I mentioned before, Julf wanted to join the intersessional and we have seven delegates from each of our constituency and stakeholder group, so we cannot have him as our representative. But I was wondering if commercial stakeholder group would be interested to have Julf as well as a guest of the NCPH. He is a GAC GNSO GAC liaison, and I think we are going to talk about important I think Julf to be there and hear our views on GAC and how we want to continue working with them. So I wonder if the group that we have Julf as a guest.

Benedetta Rossi: Thank you very much, Farzaneh. I see that Steve's hand is up. Please go ahead, Steve.

Steve DelBianco: Farzi, I'm curious about something. At the last intersessional, certainly at the Los Angeles intersessional, the nominating committee designees for the non-contract party house were part of the delegation. I don't believe they had to be guests of either NCSG or CSG because they're part of the non-contract party house structure the way ICANN has set them up.

So my question to staff is that isn't staff already inviting the nominating committee designees for the non-contract party house?

Benedetta Rossi: Thank you, Steve. The answer is yes, the NCAs were invited. However, we had not invited -- we hadn't discussed previously inviting the GNSO GAC liaison. So if everybody is in favor of this, obviously, we can extend an invitation to Julf as well and in terms -- there is no logistical issues as long as Julf is actually willing to stay on in LA since he'll be at the GNSO Council Strategic Session preceding the intersessional. That would be fine.

Steve DelBianco: So Julf is no longer an NCA designee to GNSO?

Benedetta Rossi: That's correct. He is now the GNSO GAC liaison.

Steve DelBianco: I knew that, but in addition to that, what's his status in GNSO if not the NomCom rep? I thought he was both.

Benedetta Rossi: No, he was replaced by -- I can't pronounce his name -- (Sayed) and so we extended an invitation to him and to Erika.

Steve DelBianco: Okay, thank you for that correction. So Farzi's question is in order and Farzi is asking whether the CSG or NCSG would want to use up a guest slot to invite Julf to attend. Do I have that right, Farzi?

Farzaneh Badii: Yes, I just wanted to know as a group if we want to decide on inviting Julf as the NCPH guest.

Vicky Sheckler: It's (unintelligible). So what I'm hearing is that it wouldn't be taking up a slot for the CSG but it would just be a guest and it wouldn't be a significant impact to ICANN because you're already flying Julf out there for the prior meeting, is that right?

Farzaneh Badii: Actually, yes, very good point. So he will be there already for the -- I think the strategy (unintelligible) only it's not going to take up any one slot because we don't really have spare one. So I think we just need to extend his accommodation to stay there and we don't have -- we should not -- I don't think any group should use their slots to get Julf. If he can be there as an additional guest, that would be good.

Benedetta Rossi: Would everybody be in favor of Julf attending as a guest, not taking up any of the slots, it just being physically present at the meeting, and therefore he will be funded obviously to attend. In terms of the budget doesn't actually impact

the intersessional budget and so he will already be funded in terms of the airfare for the GNSO Council Strategic Session. But that will mean extending his hotel (unintelligible).

Vicky Sheckler: This is Vicki again. I would like to hold off on making that decision until we get a better sense of the schedule and who the other guests are, just to make sure there's adequate time for conversation with (unintelligible) here. So if we could table that question for now until we get a better sense of the schedule, I think that would be best.

Benedetta Rossi: Thank you, Vicki. Just to clarify, I think what Farzaneh was suggesting wasn't in terms of inviting Julf as a specific guest for an agenda item necessarily, but just as we invite the NCAs to just attend the full meeting, so not just for a specific slot. They just become part of the extended delegation list. I think that's what Farzaneh was suggesting for Julf as well.

I don't know if that changes anything in terms of your input, Vicki.

This is Steve. I would say there's no objection if he takes up no slot we might otherwise use and is not a travel budget impact on the rest of the people we need to bring from the non-contract party house. As Vicki indicated though, in terms of what part of the agenda Julf would be participating in, that may take a little time for us to figure out what part of the day we talk about our interactions with GAC and issues on which GAC is likely to weigh in, which is to say there's several of them, like the new round, and GDPR, et cetera.

So why don't we check his interest and availability to be present at whatever parts of those two days would be appropriate. So perhaps you could check with Julf about schedule and interest level and then we'll try to fit him into the agenda once we figure that out.

Benedetta Rossi: Okay, perfect. We'll mark that as a (unintelligible) to follow-up with Julf regarding his availability and then we'll see once we've addressed some of the agenda items whether his participation will actually be useful.

The next item on the agenda today was just a brief update on the delegate list and just to confirm that we have submitted to ICANN's constituency travel, the names of the confirmed delegates for the IPC, ISPCP, NCUC, NCSG, and NPOC. We're currently -- not to single out anybody but just an update -- we're just missing the BC delegates, which are pending election and we should know that I think in January. So yes, we have as usual seven delegates per group and just as a quick comment, if you have received welcome emails sent by the constituency travel team, please ensure that you actually action them and start booking your travel.

And if by any chance you are on the confirmed for one of the groups I just mentioned, anybody other than the BC, if you're on the delegate list and have not received an email from ICANN's consistency travel team, please let us know as soon as possible so that we can follow-up because everybody should have received it by now. Otherwise, it might be an issue with their email address for you or something like that. We'll definitely make sure that they send it again.

That was all in terms of general updates. Sorry, I just unclicked something here. Let me just share with you the actual agenda draft that we have so far so you can start looking at the draft agenda that we based -- I think I circulated this before ICANN 60 and it was based on the previous sort of skeleton draft from previous intersessional meetings and the actual topics were based on discussions that we had in the first two planning calls.

Obviously, this is just a working draft as you all decided it was easier to actually see something and potentially reject it in etiquette than just continue to just brainstorm without seeing anything. So we tried to sort of fit in the topics that you brought forward and obviously, it's all in your hands to look at and change it as you see fit.

So let me just sync the document so you can all scroll directly and then we can go through this. I don't know if anybody had any chance to actually review this document when we emailed it. If anybody has any specific feedback on topics, or additional topics, or changes to topics. Otherwise, you can go through the actual agenda in order. I see that both Barbara and Steve have their hand up so I will turn it over to Barbara.

Barbara Wanner: Thank you, Benedetta. I just wanted to remind everybody that the NCPH had a very productive and convivial session at ICANN 60 where we talked about potential topics for intersessional discussion that deviated a little bit from what's on the draft agenda and if I could just tick them off for people and I invite our colleagues from the non-commercial stakeholders group to chime in.

One of them is indeed on the draft agenda and that is the status of GDPR compliance, but we also expressed an interest in delving into the roles of the Board and the GAC in the post-IANA transaction, particularly their handling of the .amazon issue, the roles of the Board and the SOACs, and the community driven reviews, for example, the SSR2. And then a discussion of a few of the nine work stream 2 topics, in particular, participants in our meeting expressed a lot of interest in delving into transparency issues that sort of go beyond the work stream two mandate.



So I just thought I would remind everybody about that discussion we had in Abu Dhabi and invite comments by other folks on the call. Thank you.

Benedetta Rossi: Thank you very much, Barbara. Steve, please go ahead.

Steve DelBianco: Picking up what Barbara said, since we met late in the week in Abu Dhabi and discussed the interest in several of these agenda items, as we go through the draft agenda that you have on the Adobe screen now, it would be great for us to check back with the notes that Barbara circulated after that meeting. If anybody didn't receive them, they can indicate in the chat and Barbara can send them, or Farzi, perhaps you can make sure that everyone on your side has them as well.

But this would be an opportunity then to combine what we discussed in Abu Dhabi with what is on the screen in front of us and try to meld the input of those two discussions into a single agenda.

Benedetta Rossi: Thank you very much, Steve, and yes, I was asking the same thing about the note. So thank you, Barbara, for offering to forward them to me. That would be very helpful. I see that Farzaneh is typing but in the meantime, if we just go through the actual draft agenda, we sort of took onboard comments about not wanting to start the meetings, for example, too early. So we're looking at the meetings starting at 8:00 and 9:00 a.m. so with delegates potentially gathering for breakfast around 8:00 or 8:30, up to 9:00 at the Doubletree Hotel because then obviously breakfast will be provided.

And then kicking off the meeting at 9:00 a.m. with an introduction and welcome from staff on the first day. Just an overview of the meetings and the logistics for the two days and then similar to last year, I looked at last year's meeting and remember that you were all very happy with starting off with a

breakout rather than having it later in the day to prepare for the roundtable with senior staff. So that's what is reflected currently in the draft agenda. I don't know if you're all still in favor of having breakouts right at the beginning or if you'd like to shift that. That's obviously up to you and I believe that you all said that you wanted to have stakeholder group breakouts. That's what is currently marked on the draft agenda.

And then we've tentatively penciled in roundtables with senior staff, so with ICANN CEO, Göran Marby, for 60 minutes with each SNG. But again, this is obviously for you to confirm and once it's confirmed if you're happy with this layout sort of with the breakout in the morning first thing to prepare for the roundtable with senior staff and then we can confirm with the CEO office that these are the slots that you'd like to specifically invite Goran to participate in the intersessional with. And honestly, the earlier we can have this locked down, the better, especially since the Board workshop taking place around that timeframe in LA.

I don't know if you have any initial reaction to these two initial slots.

Vicky Sheckler: It's Vicky again. I like the breakout session in the beginning. I like meeting with Goran. I'm sorry, I haven't had a chance to read through your document yet, but are we meeting with other staff as well?

Benedetta Rossi: For the moment, in terms of the specific slot that I was referring to, it was just the roundtable with the CEO and then we don't have any specific other guests noted down for other slots I mean. Renata, please go ahead. Renata, I see that your hand is up but we can't hear you. I don't see anybody specifically saying anything about being against this slot for the meeting with Goran. Does that mean that we're comfortable with staff, for example, sending an invitation for

Goran for this specific slot? Or would you like to reflect on this. Vicky, I see that your hand is up. Please go ahead.

Vicky Sheckler: Thanks. There was some in the chatroom about meeting also with either ICANN legal or I had suggested a Teresa or Akram to get a better sense particularly on the GDPR stuff than a wholesale on other aspects of ICANN operations. So if there's time, I'd like to see something like that in here as well. And then the only question I have to the group about meeting with Goran first thing is that how we want to proceed or would we like to have some conversation first and perhaps if Goran is available, invite him for the next day. Just so we can get some thinking in order before we talk to him, but that's purely a question. It's not a suggestion at this point.

Benedetta Rossi: Thank you, Vicky. I see that Steve's hand is up but just as a quick response to your comment, we have tentatively penciled him in for the first day based on the assumption that the board workshop will be taking place starting on February 2 and that would mean that none of the board members would actually be able to join the intersessional meeting. So that's why we were focusing on February 1. Steve, please go ahead.

Steve DelBianco: Thank you. Picking up on what's in the chat from Michael regarding a meeting with ICANN legal, I can think of at least two topics and I know how ICANN legal likes to be prepared to know what we want to discuss. And two topics. One would be legal's response in resistance to the work stream two transparency recommendations and a second would be legal's response to the actions of contract parties reacting to GDPR. And maybe you just put into, for shorthand, GDPR compliance could be the watchword for legal. And it isn't just WHOIS because all of you realize that the contract parties are under obligation to do transverse and things like backup. And any time they move a European citizen's data outside of the European Union, totally apart from

WHOIS. That movement of data, that transfer of data has implications for GDPR and contract compliance.

So broadly speaking, I'd love to have legal talk about the transparency issue and GDPR. Anything else that we would put on an agenda for a legal discussion?

Benedetta Rossi: Farzaneh, please go ahead.

Farzaneh Badii: Steve, I do have a couple of topics on my mind but I'm not ready (unintelligible) formally yet and so I just take that on the mailing list and I can just push forward this topic. I think we are still using the NCPH mailing list.

Steve DelBianco: Okay. But do we know enough now that we want to create a slot on day one for an NCPH discussion with ICANN legal?

Vicky Sheckler: I think the answer to that is yes.

Farzaneh Badii: I think it (unintelligible).

Benedetta Rossi: Steve, in terms of the topic that you were just mentioning, would that fit into the current slot F, the one that we had penciled in as reconciling (unintelligible) GDPR or is that -- you see that as a separate topic?

Steve DelBianco: I think it could potentially be separate depending on the audience. If in fact it's ICANN legal, they have a very sort of limited and constrained view with respect to GDPR. It's really GDD, Global Domains Division, that has more control over ICANN's reaction and the contract party's obligations under GDPR. So I've seen that legal kept a rather low profile at Abu Dhabi with respect to WHOIS. Instead, the WHOIS GDPR debate was captured by

Goran and by Akram and Teresa. So I feel like that's not really a legal only discussion. And GDPR deserves a broader audience. That would be just my view but I'm interested to hear others.

Benedetta Rossi: Thank you, Steve. Paul, please go ahead.

Paul McGrady: Thanks, Paul McGrady. I agree with Steve. I do think it needs the broader audience. I think there are GDPR issues that go beyond just, for example, setting aside enforcement for failing to produce a publicly accessible WHOIS. Publicly accessible WHOIS is intertwined in all kinds of areas within the ecosystem, for example. The transfer policy says that transfers may only be approved by registrants or admin contacts that are found in the publicly accessible WHOIS.

Well, if there is to be no publicly accessible WHOIS, we also don't have transfers. That's a big problem. So we have to -- we do need the broader audience, not just GDD. I think legal should be there, other people who have points of view on this should be invited, and I think we have to sit down and have that fulsome conversation about all the effects of the GDPR. Thanks.

Benedetta Rossi: Thank you very much, Paul. So that would be basically an additional topic that we could pencil in, as Steve suggested, as GDPR compliance. Is that correct? And therefore invite potentially as a guest speaker for that topic, ICANN legal? Is that a correct interpretation of what was just discussed?

Steve DelBianco: It wouldn't just be ICANN legal. If we only had ICANN legal in the room for a limited slot, we'd want to cover transparency, GDPR, to the extent legal has something to say, and then Farzi may have some other topics for legal that she's researching for her list. Separately, if there were a GDPR discussion, GDD has got to be in the room. They're the most important ones on that and

then in addition, you'd say that it would be also helpful to have legal there in addition to GDD executives for a discussion of GDPR and WHOIS.

So the opportunity might be that you do Slot F and then Slot G and we end up having legal hang around for both, if we get a senior legal person. Dan Halloran, for instance, is the Chief Privacy Officer, and has his office just a few meters away from where we'll be meeting. So think that over because the compliance aspects of legal are different than the CPO or Chief Privacy Officer's aspects.

Benedetta Rossi: Perfect. Thank you very much for the clarification Steve. That makes sense. And Paul is that an old hand or is that a new hand? That was an old hand.

Okay great. In terms of the current topics therefore we've got the initial breakout followed by the discussion with the CEO. And then the next topic that was Poncelet penciled in was the GNSO organizational review. Just to clarify that is this – so here we especially invite the board OAC members as discussed at the beginning of the call. And that's also why we have penciled this in on the first day in case there's a board workshop following day. I don't know if anybody has any comments. Thank you Steve. Please go ahead.

Steve DelBianco: I think this topic would probably not merit the full 90 minutes that we have on the slot. The GNSO organization and review what we want to dive into is the degree to which the Noncontract Party House could influence the terms of reference that are used for the consultants that ICANN would hire. That's what we discussed in Iceland. And we may not even read agree with where we want this review to go. But it would be good to understand where we have common ground on the terms of reference that is used by the consultant because we've learned subsequent to the Iceland meeting we learned that

ICANN is opening up the discussion with the community on the terms of reference that are given to these consultants.

And it's really a rotating body of consultants who do all of these reviews. I don't think though that we should go with 90 minutes. It's possible to do this in a much shorter slot such as 30 to 60 minutes, 30 to 45 minutes. Is there something else on the calendar on day one where we could put that into a shorter slot?

Benedetta Rossi: Thank you Steve. And we can definitely just make the slot smaller and therefore accommodate for example expanding slot X or breaking up slot F into these adjusted for the (unintelligible) slot SMG with the (unintelligible) and JDPR and then JDPR compliance if that works.

And then we also have currently I penciled in sort of a one hour lunch break. There are currently no actual slots to be addressed during lunch. But that would also make some feedback on previous intercessional meetings where we tended to have long working lunches across the board. And but that is still a possibility or to shorten - either to shorten the lunch break or to actually have it as a working lunch. That's obviously up to you all to decide. And Renata I see that your hand is up. Please go ahead.

Renata if you're trying to speak unfortunately we cannot seem to hear it (unintelligible).

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (Unintelligible).

Benedetta Rossi: Maybe try to mute and unmute again.

Maryam Bakoshi: Sorry Renata. If you want me to dial out to you please let me know and I'll do that. Thank you very much.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (Unintelligible).

Maryam Bakoshi: Hi Renata. Can you confirm if can you hear me?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (Unintelligible).

Maryam Bakoshi: Thank you very much Renata. I (unintelligible). Thank you.

Benedetta Rossi: Okay while we try and figure out how to get Renata to actually be able to speak on the call so that would take us to spot F as we were discussing. And in terms of guest speakers we have therefore ICANN legal for potentially the dual slot here regarding GDPR. And then do you have any specific speakers that you'd like to see from GDP so that we can actually send them an invitation for this slot?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (Unintelligible).

Benedetta Rossi: I see that multiple people are typing so I'll wait for just - in addition to this obviously as we go through the agenda please also bear in mind obviously that we use - endorse the idea of having again as in previous years session co-chairs from each SG so just bear that in mind as we go through the topics. We can start jotting them down if we have any volunteers, anybody who's interested in meeting any of these topics. We can add that to the agenda as the names come through. Steve please go ahead.

Steve DelBianco: Benny I just wanted to pick up what you said there. For those who work at Iceland what worked really well was the CSG and the NCSG would each



designate a person that would be a co-chair of a session. And those co-chairs get on the phone, work through email and come up with a set up parameters, discussions, slides -- whatever they can come up to consensus with. It tees up the discussion for any given slot where there are co-chairs. And if those co-chairs do their job well when you get to a slot it isn't just some random conversation.

It's really more of a structured consideration of what are the issues and questions we want to confront. And that's going to make much better use of all of our time especially given that we're making a lot of travel and sacrifices to be there. So Benny's right once we appoint these co-chairs the co-chairs have a good bit of work to do in the January timeframe.

Benedetta Rossi: Thank you very much Steve. And in terms of the actual agenda discussion that takes up basically the wrap-up of the first day for session chairs and leadership to summarize the action items and then prepare for the second day for again we're looking at convening at 9 o'clock then kick off for (1:00) the first (unintelligible). And we tend tentatively penciled in something that was that you did in Iceland last year so the community overview. I don't know if this is something that you'd still like to pursue for the next intersessional. Also so the -- basically after a 12 minute presentation with sort of a brief Q&A from each constituency or SG just highlighting their goals, priorities and work plans for 2018. That seemed to be well received last year but I know that's something you still would like to see on the agenda for this coming intersessional. That was usually done.

I think we did that last year as an introductory slot but even the board workshops conflicts for this year we have to slide it to the second day. That's why it's currently here to ensure that we could invite (unintelligible)

registered on the first day. Does anybody have any reactions to the specific agenda item?

Steve DelBianco: Benny it's Steve. This – you have an hour and 45 minutes for that slot. And she say up to 12 minutes plus with Q&A? And the CSG is not an entity. The CSG can't do a presentation. We have three constituencies and if it's 12 minutes each we'd be at 45 minutes. I guess you'd have NCSG, NCUC and NPOC on the other side potentially. And I'm inviting some reply from the NCSG folks on the call. Would there be three presentations for each side and if so...

Benedetta Rossi: That's correct yes. That's what we're looking at.

Steve DelBianco: Okay so that this probably only looks in the neighborhood of I guess we could go to an hour and a half if all six took 16 minutes each. So on the NCSG side as far as you think there'll be three groups presenting?

Farzaneh Badii: So for NCSG I can't tie them back off the constituency for – but for NCSG we will have a presentation. But both NCUC we have a new NCUC chair Renata and Joan is NPOC chair. And they can decide whether they want to presentation or we consolidated as an NCSG presentation. Joan and Renata if you can weigh in on this?

Benedetta Rossi: Thank you (unintelligible). Renata please go ahead.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Hi Renata here. I hope you can (hear) me now.

Benedetta Rossi: Yes we can.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Thank you. I would just highlight a few of the successful experiences in Iceland. So I would once more agree on the partnership between CSG and NCSG. But most of all I think that we see that everything there are opportunities for questions. So if we can prepare questions before on the list for presenters and in terms of volunteers for each one of the themes I think this would be better if we speak to our delegates to get them to be responsible for each one of the themes available. Thank you.

Benedetta Rossi: Thank you very much Renata and Joan you're next in the queue. So please go ahead.

Joan Kerr: Hi. It's Joan. Hello everyone. Yes last time in Iceland it worked really well. Basically what happened after the - this call the NCSG chair then asked NPOC and NCSG to agree to a subject and then partner with the other side and it worked really well as Steve pointed out. Those co-chairs worked together with the presentation and then or the discussion. And I think that's something that just starts with NCSG and you choose which subjects be best to present either NCUC or NPOC most relevant for the constituency so that's what I would support (unintelligible).

Benedetta Rossi: Thank you very much Joan. Renata is that a new hand or an old hand? It's an old hand. Thank you.

Okay it seems like we have support there for what is currently labeled as slot G so for the community overviews then that would take us to a break, the 15 minute morning break and then resume with another plenary session. And the penciled in topic is on the NCPH procedural in-house issue which includes the (voice) before team selection process. So there might be other items that might need to be included in this. We've currently penciled it in as a 90 minute slot. I don't know if anybody has any reaction to this topic.

That's good. On this call we don't have silence so we have some strange video games sort of background. Okay well I see that (unintelligible) are typing so I'll just read out with the next topic is marked at. So slot J after lunch is NCPH plenary session Number 5. And it's on outreach and recruiting best practices. This was all the topics I would suggest I think either on the first or on the second planning call we had this year. And another suggestion to conduct a survey beforehand to gather information (unintelligible) information for this session. Farzaneh please go ahead.

Farzaneh Badii: Thank you Benedetta. I think were the – how long is this session, an hour 15 minutes? I think I'm not sure that's a little bit too long. Of course we have a lot of outreach best practices to share but maybe we can also talk about in reach a little bit so outreach and in reach both. And I think it's a little bit shorter would be good if it doesn't mess with the agenda but that's just my opting in. I don't know if others agree with me.

Benedetta Rossi: Thank you Farzaneh. Would you suggest an hour or even less for this if we expand it to outreach and in reach?

Farzaneh Badii: I think an hour would (unintelligible).

Benedetta Rossi: Thank you very much. Okay we still have more people are attending they're typing. But in the - that will take us basically to a break and then the next topic is Block K and it's currently the new gTLD subsequent procedures/nexus expansion round assessment and discussion. Maxim? And that's Max for one hour.

And it takes us then to the following slot again a one hour slot which is slot L and it's the NCPH Project Working Group. And to then close so last on slot M

the closing and that discussion. Barbara I see your hand is up. Please go ahead.

Barbara Wanner: Thank you. When we talked about this very briefly in the BC at Abu Dhabi we found that we did not have consensus concerning a budget working group for the non-contracted party house. So I don't know. I defer to my other BC colleagues that are on the call that we might want to take that back to our constituency and talk about it further. Steve and (Andrew) what do you think? Thanks.

Steve DelBianco: Barbara, Jimson worked with Ed Morris on this on this idea of an NCPH Budget Working Group. And this was in Iceland. I'd like to go back and examine what they thought the takeaway was. And I would ask Benny perhaps you could help us with that pull that together, understand what the interest level was and then circulate something among the NCGH leaders to see whether there's sufficient interest to resume the discussion of the budget working group. Jimson I know yes you're on the call Jimson. Now what do you recall about the level of interest and the next steps on the NCPH Budget Working Group? That was a discussion that you co-chaired.

Jimson Olufuye: Okay thank you Steve. I don't know can you hear me?

Benedetta Rossi: Loud and clear.

Steve DelBianco: Yes.

Maryam Bakoshi: We can hear you.

Jimson Olufuye: Okay great. Yes I think it was quite enlightening that there was a need for us to engage constructively because the budget issue is a major factor in the

empowered communities to exercise its right on that in new ICANN bylaw. Yes we did come out with some outcomes that in our respective synergy we should have (subsets) of our working group or even our constituencies which we have such a committees.

So that was the conclusion that we should yes there is a need for us to have opportunity to discuss budget issue because a major issue when it comes to (assessing) our right. But at the same time as (unintelligible) at home we also need to have something bottom-up to (condense) into a group in the - in our contracted, non-contracted party house. So I think it's still positive and I think the outcome (unintelligible) that we need to do something within our constituencies and then bring it up to the - to our NCPH. So it is pretty positive if I can see.

Steve DelBianco: Jimson thanks for that. I think in answer to Barbara's question I would like to get something in writing about the next steps and the conclusions that were reached in that session, circulate that among the NCPH leaders and before our next call make the decision as to whether there's sufficient detail left to discuss on that for an hour and a half slot. It may will be that it could be a shorter slot if we just want to pick up the conversation. But if we actually want to plan and form a group and give it a charter we would need to that kind of time. Let's just be sure there is a level of interest in doing so. Thanks Jimson.

Jimson Olufuye: Okay I fully agree with you. And I will send it across okay?

Benedetta Rossi: Thank you very much Steve and Jimson. I've posted in the chat the link to the meeting report from last year's intersessional meeting where there's some notes on this topic (unintelligible) always on all the other topics as well. Are there any other topics that are currently not on the skeletal agenda right now

so you strongly should be or anything that should - well so far we haven't found anything that should be removed. I see that Paul has his hand up. Please go ahead.

Paul McGrady: Thanks. Paul McGrady here. So there was some back and forth comment in the chat about whether or not we needed to discuss the outreach and recruiting best practices. And there was also some discussion about where the Geo term issue should fit. And I'm wondering if, you know, if we want to take a look at perhaps expanding some more space for the subsequent procedures discussion which that makes sense for the Geo terms issue would fit perhaps shrinking the recruiting and best practices session and adding a little bit more time and be breaking up the Geo – so breaking up the new gTLD subsequent procedures into two groups in-between that break so that we capture a bit more time for that because that is a pretty big PDP with lots of moving parts. Thanks.

Benedetta Rossi: Thank you very much Paul. And we can certainly do that especially the feedback that we'll receive in some of the other sessions as well. I'll work on this draft based on the input received today and recirculate it, an updated redline for – of the agenda for everyone to review.

Steve DelBianco: Question for the CSG and NCGS leaders is how do we determine the co-chairs of each group? My guess is you wouldn't appoint the co-chairs until the slots themselves are identified and that a couple of you would get on the phone and discuss who were the right people to tear up on a topic, people that are passionate about the topic, people that have a working relationship and then make those assignments so that you would pick from the group of all of us that are slotted to attend and make those assignments. And unfortunately the BC won't know for sure who's attending for us until we conclude our elections. That could push things out a little bit as far as the BC is concerned.

Benedetta Rossi: Thank you Steve. I see that Tony suggesting for this for the co-chairs we discuss on the next call if possible.

Steve DelBianco: And if it turns out that NCS...

((Crosstalk))

Steve DelBianco: So it turns out NCSG can select its co-chairs early frankly that would be helpful because then CSG can - even though BC is a little behind on elections we can pick co-chairs that will complement the co-chairs that are selected on the NCSG side. If we do, you know, if we do as good a job as you did for Iceland we can pare them up effectively. Thank you very much Steve. Farzaneh please go ahead.

Farzaneh Badii: Yes I think we can easily assign the co-chair. And I will work on that with the constituencies and come up with a plan when we are like when we finalize the topic so that's fine. We've had our NCUC elections and everything is in place. But I just wanted to make one point about discussing the procedural in-house issues. I think if we are until February work on these procedural documents that are in draft mode and try to come up with the text that we can discuss during this timeslot that would be great. I can work with NCSG on this.

And we can just work on the Google Doc that we have. And first of I'll talk about the procedural, which procedural issues we want to address. I can see that the board seat selection is there but there are a couple of others and then work on the - work on a draft document that I think (break) on things wrap it once and then discuss it at during the meeting so that we can actually have something out of this meeting.



Steve DelBianco: Farzi don't we have text on both of those? We have a text on chair and co-chair coming out of the Hyderabad meeting. And we have text on the board of directors slot. I guess it's Seat 14 coming out of our recent procedure. And we actually tried to develop text while we were in Iceland. And if nothing else that text in a Google Doc could be presented for further discussion and ratification. So I fully support what you're saying and I think we're farther along than you might imagine because we had text that was going back and forth between the leaders and I guess we just never finished the step of ratifying it and locking it down as a procedure.

Benedetta Rossi: Thank you very much Steve. Paul I see your hand is up. Please go ahead. I think that we're reaching on the top of the hour so just before we wrap up are you comfortable with resuming conversations on intersessional planning in two weeks' time or would you like the call to take place weekly leading up? What do you think in terms of next steps for the planning process? I see that Steve is noting two weeks from now.

Okay perfect. We seem to have support for two weeks in and okay perfect. So we'll - staff will send out a Doodle to make sure that we have – find a good time in two weeks then. And in the meantime I will see and staff will circulate an updated agenda. And if some – yes and Barbara if you could send out the notes from the NCPH meeting and I can fix it that would be great to just see if there's anything that is currently missing on this draft. And otherwise we can resume planning in two weeks' time.

And obviously please remember we also have the intersessional planning mailing list. We can also continue some of these conversations on the mailing list. And yes Tony's noting the issue with Julf not having gone through the agenda. Is everybody in favor with inviting Julf to just attend as a guest to

take sort of as a delegate basically or should we still park that until the next call?

I see that Ayden is saying he has no objection. There seems to be a lot of support. I haven't seen anybody noting any objections. I'm just holding off since people are still typing. Okay see that Steve also doesn't have any objections. So unless I see anybody objecting then we'll convey an invitation to Julf based on the discussion today.

And yes Tony the basis would be that we see he's already present because of the GNSO Council Strategic Session. And (unintelligible) intersessional isn't really a precedent. But we - you know, every year we discuss okay last year you invited the SDAs. We just still like to continue doing so and then we take it sort of from there. So yes thank you all very much for joining today's call and I look forward to speaking to you in two weeks' time.

Maryam Bakoshi: Thank you very much everyone for attending the call. (Maki) you may disconnect all lines and stop the recording. Thank you very much. Goodbye.

END