
MARIO ALEMAN: Welcome to the NARALO monthly call on Monday the 11th of September, 2017 at 19:00 UTC. On the call we have today on the English channel Glenn McKnight, Alfredo Calderon, Eduardo Diaz, Eve Edelson, Susannah Gray, Leah Symerkher, Dustin Phillips, Marita Moll, Judith Hellerstein, Alan Greenberg, and John Moore. I hope I didn't miss anyone else.

We have nobody else on the French channel.

We have apologies from Matthew Rantanen.

On the staff side, we have Silvia Vivanco, Claudia Ruiz, and Mario Aleman, myself doing the call management.

We have call interpretation for the French channel, Aurélie and Isabelle.

We remind actually to all the attendees to please state your name before speaking, not only for recording purposes but also for our interpreters. With this, over to you, Glenn. I can see actually Silvia has the next action item in the agenda section two. Thank you.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Sorry, actually this is Evan Leibovitch calling in. I'm not on the Adobe Connect, I'm on Adigo. Just a suggestion for the future that you might want to explicitly extend the roll to anybody who would be dialed in who isn't coming in by computer. Thank you.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. Actually, I was going to do that, Evan, but you beat me to it. I believe Judith is the only one and [Evan], only two on Adigo. Is that correct? Anyone else on Adigo, please?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, Eduardo is on Adigo.

JOHN MOORE: Yes, John Moore.

JAVIER RUA JOVET: Javier Rua.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: And John Moore.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Wow. We've got a lot on Adigo. It's going to be a bit of a crazy meeting today because I can't see your hand waving. You can go ahead and wave your hand, but I won't notice it. Okay, guys. When there are topics, we'll try our best to, but you'll have to sort of interrupt. I just want to tell the audience that we don't normally have so many people on Adigo, but they have no other way to notify us through the process. So we'll try our best to let people know that you guys are there.

Before we start, Alan, do you have a comment?

ALAN GREENBERG: I was just going to say that some of us spent many, many hours on conference calls before we had Adobe Connect. It can be done. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Alan, I appreciate that and I will endeavor to do my best. Okay. Welcome, everybody. This is our September call. Thank you all so very much for coming, and I'd like to turn to Silvia on Item 2 on the action items.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you, Glenn. Hello, everyone. So, the review of action items of the August call. The first one is all NARALO members to send comments, questions and suggestions to John Moore for our one-week vote on the ROP to be served in the September meeting.

This is still outstanding as far as I know, and I know that there is a [inaudible] on today's agenda to discuss [next steps] on the Rules of Procedures, action [inaudible] 9.5. [inaudible] to discuss the NARALO CROP [occupancies] and decide on the selected travelers. And this was completed. [inaudible] the selected travelers for CROP. And that's all from the action items. Over to you, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you, Silvia. I just wanted to touch base with you on action items that have been for the past year. Are we up to date on our action items, or have we dropped the ball on anything? Silvia, did you understand? Yes, go ahead.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes. We review the action items every call – we review the action items of the month before. I do not believe we have dropped the ball, and there may be some outstanding action items – actually, there are from the General Assembly which was the starting point for NARALO to implement [inaudible] action item. So, I believe those are the only ones that would be outstanding from [the year]. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you, Silvia. Okay, we're going to move on from the action items to our community announcements, but I want to start off with a few announcements, and I wanted to put the discussion right up front on our next meeting because of the date. It's been Canadian Thanksgiving, but I'd like to congratulate Avri Doria to joining the ICANN Board, and she has been a representative from ISOC New York so we'll be talking to people at ISOC New York who will be replacing her. Perhaps Joly who might – I don't see Joly on the call, but we'll follow up on that. And we're pleased also to notice that Marita Moll has been selected as well for the ccNSO. I notice Marita's on the call today. Marita, did you want to say anything?

MARITA MOLL: Yes. Can you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, we can.

MARITA MOLL: Okay. Yes, thank you for the congrats. I'm a little surprised myself to be on the ccNSO, but I certainly hope that this doesn't mean – I think I can still participate here. I'm not totally sure how this all goes yet.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you so much, Marita. We look forward to your input. Any questions for Marita from the Adigo or Adobe members? Okay. Let's talk about the October – on the 9th of October, the Monday, that's our next meeting, and it's going to be falling on the Canadian Thanksgiving.

So we have a couple of options. We could perhaps move it to the next date, the next Monday, or if people are okay for the meeting to proceed as the Canadian Thanksgiving. So I'm going to open it up to the floor for people to give their comments and what would you like to do. Okay, the floor is open to anybody who has an opinion.

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is Eduardo.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. Go ahead, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: When is this meeting? What dates?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Our next NARALO meeting?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. What date is that?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: That's October 9th. It's the second Monday.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, so why don't you move it to October 10th?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, that would be the Tuesday, so that's one of the options we could do. Does anyone support the idea for moving the normal NARALO meeting to October 10th? Do we have consensus on that?

JAVIER RUA JOVET: No problem.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you, Javier. And please, Mario, can you please note that Javier has joined us as well on Adigo? Okay. Do we have consensus to move the October meeting to the Tuesday, or shall we have more discussion? Go ahead. I think I heard somebody.

ALAN GREENBERG: You didn't hear me, but my hand is up.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Alan, your hand just came up now. Go ahead, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Do we have any objection from Canadians who normally are on this call about holding the meeting? Generally, changing a day – and often to Tuesday which is certainly from my perspective a much busier day than Mondays – is probably more problematic for the bulk of people than holding it on the Monday. So the question is, are there people who celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving who have a problem with it?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Alan, that's you, me, and it would be Gordon, normally, and Evan. So I'm fine with it. [Alice]?

ALAN GREENBERG: And Marita who has her hand up.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Marita, are you okay with Monday?

MARITA MOLL: I'm not going to be in Canada, so it won't make a difference to me. I'll be there if I can, but not from Canada. So yes, I'm okay.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Evan?

EVAN EDELSON: Hi there. I just had to go off mute. I usually make plans for [inaudible] holidays, so I prefer either the day after or the following Monday. Thanks.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Alan, sorry, did you say you're okay for the Thanksgiving?

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm okay for Thanksgiving. At this point I'm okay for the same time of the following day. That could change between now and then, however. But I can miss a call, so I'm not going to worry about it.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Looks like we're pretty well split here. I'm fine either way, Monday or Tuesday.

ALAN GREENBERG: Glenn, may I ask a question first?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: I presume you would like to get the new Rules of Procedure ratified prior to the ICANN general meeting.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: That would be nice.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's right. Are you planning to do it via big polls vote or during the meeting? If it's a big polls vote, then it's just another meeting and it's not more crucial than any other. So I'm happy regardless of which way you go.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. To respond, yes, it would be big poll. So because of the holiday or the change to another date, I don't expect to be having high attendance. But back to the date, I'm fine for doing Monday or Tuesday. So it looks like we have – Marita, the other Canadian on the call says she's out of the country, Evan would prefer Tuesday, me and Alan are okay for Monday. I don't think there's any other Canadian on the call. Okay. Unfortunately, other Canadians are not on the call, but since Alan and I are okay with Monday, we'll just leave it at Monday as usual. So if you can attend that, Evan, that would be great.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Sorry, Glenn, do we have the time to be able to send it out to a Doodle so even the people who aren't on this call but might want to attend next month might be able to say something? Do we have to [inaudible]

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I was trying to do that, but you know what? That's a great suggestion, Evan. Mario, can you put that as an action item, or Silvia? We'll send out a Doodle request to all the NARALO members with the two choices. Monday as usual, or Tuesday same time? All right?

MARIO ALEMAN: All right. No problem, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, we'll have that fairly quickly. Okay, let's move on. Any other community announcements from anyone? Marita, you still have your hand up.

ALAN GREENBERG: Not showing up on my end.

MARITA MOLL: Old hand.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Thank you. If you can drop it down, that would be great. Okay, any community announcements, please, from anybody? The thing that's

affecting a lot of us here because so many of us are ISOC members, we're going to be doing a lot of stuff. In some cases, nodes like in New York and there's other locations as well that are friendly get-togethers, but the 25th anniversary of ISOC is coming up fairly soon, so there's a lot of events that are happening in LA, but around the world, there's a lot of intercommunity events. So that's the big announcement from the ISOC point of view. We'll share with everyone various different nodes if you're interested.

I know Susannah and Leah are on the call. Are you guys doing anything special for the ISOC intercommunity's event?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Glenn, I can talk about –

LEAH SYMEKHER: Hi, Glenn. I'll have Susannah respond to that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Go ahead.

SUSANNAH GRAY: Yes. Hi, Glenn. Actually, we're not doing anything for the intercommunity on the 25th anniversary celebration. Mainly because we actually weren't there in any of the planning for the stuff down in LA, so we kind of decided to take a backseat on that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Who's talking?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Glenn, I'm going to be at ISOC New York. We're doing a big event in the Cornell Club in New York with breakfast and lunch starting at 10:00 and ending at 2:00. So if you want some information, contact Joly or myself. If you know definitely you're going to be there, Joly is trying to get a very good headcount, and so he made a charge, a fee to come, but that's if you actually are coming and are there, then you get the fee refunded. So that's his effort at trying to get a very good, accurate headcount for the event.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Okay, everybody just please contact Judith or Joly if you want more information. And that's going to be livestreamed, is that correct, Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, it'll be livestreamed and we're one of the official interactive nodes, and so we have some ISOC [inaudible] there as well. I know Mark Buell who's the regional North America Director is supposed to be there, but I think there's other people. But Joly would know more.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Great. Thank you so much. I'm a little bit of amiss not to give an opportunity to our friends from Puerto Rico. We have so many people on the call, remarkably. Maybe one of you guys can talk about the

experience you guys just recently went through. I understand a lot of the electrical grid is down and you guys cannot connect to Adobe Connect today. So maybe I'll turn to Eduardo, if you would like to say a few words about what you guys went through recently. Eduardo, did we lose you?

JAVIER RUA JOVET: This is Javier, I can't –

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Javier, go ahead.

JAVIER RUA JOVET: We have some music in the background.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Go ahead.

JAVIER RUA JOVET: So as you've seen in the news, we had a historic hurricane in the Atlantic that really barreled through some of the Lesser Antilles and some of the islands. And it was heading straight for Puerto Rico, but we were lucky enough that only some of our offshore islands like Labrador direct hit. But in many case, Puerto Rico's electrical grid is really frail, and the tropical storm winds that we got and maybe category 1 hurricane had a significant impact.

But on the good side, there's been a lot of well-coordinated state and federal work going on, and I think that about 60% of the grid is up already, or maybe a bit more. So that's good, so things are recovering, and we can't say the same thing about some of the other islands that are really in bad shape. And not only Barbuda, Saint-Martin and some other British and U.S. region islands, also you've seen how Cuba got directly hit for like a whole day in the tourist areas, so that really weakened the storm down to category 4, which is really still strong. So when it got to the Florida Keys, it was category 4. So it would have been a lot worse for Florida if Cuba hadn't gotten a lot of energy out of that storm. So I think we're doing a lot better. We feel very lucky in Puerto Rico that we got only tropical storm and category 1 winds. If we had gotten category 4 or 5, we'd be back 30 years in many ways.

So what that means is that I think – I'm pretty sure we're still going to have ICANN in San Juan in a few months, next year. So that's basically it. Many people in Puerto Rico – the main ISP is the cable company, Liberty, and that's directly tied to having power in the lines, because that's the way cable works. It has to be electrified. So a lot of people lost their landline Internet connections. And the people like me that use mostly wireless, some companies did better than others – Claro, Sprint, AT&T and others. But they're recovering. I have AT&T and 70% of the towers are working. The one that's close to my house is not working very well. But things are moving along, so I guess we're going to be fully recovered hopefully by the next call. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you. We appreciate you guys attending the call. Any other final comments? I think that's it. Thank you again for your comments. Okay, going to move on on the agenda. Since they're community announcements, I'd like to have Silvia share this next topic with us.

We did our new At-Large ALS and individual orientation session last week, and it was well attended and very informative. Staff did a fantastic job, and it was a real eye-opener for a lot of people who attended the call to get the depth beyond NARALO on the aspects and the opportunities for them to be involved. So I'd like to turn to Silvia for any other comments.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Hello again. Thank you so much. I just wanted to thank everyone. We counted 20 people that joined. It was a very well attended call. We provided an overview of participation, requirements on engagement, interactive tools, the wiki, the website, and we are planning to do these exercises every RALO. We have done it already with APRALO. NARALO was the second one. The new one will probably be AFRALO. And then continuously in a periodic manner, so everybody has the opportunity to get in touch with us, to ask questions without any [inaudible] in a very [formal] manner.

Alan was also there and was able to provide a very good explanation of the policies and how to get involved. So I just wanted to thank you.

We have our wiki page where you can see there are the links with the meeting [pages] and the recordings and the transcripts so everyone has the chance to review and study the meeting. And as a result, also we

have a NARALO newcomers chat, a site chat for newcomers only, so they are always – it's an open line with outreach staff members so they can ask us any questions anytime.

And that's all. Thank you very much. Over to you, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you, Silvia. And I have to kudos to staff, they did a fantastic job. Any questions from anyone? Okay. I hope we can do this on a definitely yearly basis for all the new ALSes and unaffiliated members. So thank you, it's only going to get better.

Okay, we're going to move on to NARALO news update. The new development in the local discretionary funding opportunities actually have Silvia and Heidi responsible for reviewing the applications. Eduardo and I did quite a bit of work on creating a document and creating a Google document on the process, and I want to turn to Eduardo to talk about the event that he did with his team of ISOC Puerto Rico on the ARIN on the Road that he did prior to the hurricane. So, Eduardo, are you there?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Yes, I'm here. I just wanted to [give an update] about the event that we had. I think it was August. It's a mini ARIN. It's called ARIN on the Road. It's a one-day event. We had 120+ people who registered, and finally we got 85 to attend, which they said it was the biggest ARIN on the Road ever to be attended. Usually they get 20 to 30 people.

They went through the whole thing that we saw in New Orleans, how they work, how they do policy, what's their responsibility. And they ended up talking about transfers between IPv4 and IPv6.

The people that attended seemed to be very interested because of the type of questions that were asked during the meeting. That's basically it, except if Alfredo and Javier wanted to add something to what I said, please do so. I was not directly involved in the coordination of this. It was mostly Jose de la Cruz who's not here, but Alfredo and other people I helped in the whole group [inaudible] coordinated this. So, Alfredo, Javier, if you want to add something, please do so. Thanks.

JAVIER RUA JOVET: Hello, can you hear me?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, we can.

JAVIER RUA JOVET: Yes. Just to stress again that ARIN people really underlined and mentioned many times that the attendance was historic, as Eduardo said. I think we have to work more on having more gender balance, because the truth is that we had many guys attending and very few women. I think that happens elsewhere also, but that's something that everybody has to work on how to make better outreach to females that will be interested.

Maybe at some level it's a function of the number of engineers that are male versus female in Puerto Rico, but I'm sure more can be done to do more outreach because some women got there, and I'm sure there's many more that didn't, that maybe did not know about the event.

But in any case, it was a great event. It was held in what we call the College of Engineers in Puerto Rico, which is a place where the engineers have all their meetings, and it's the association where all the engineers and land surveyors in Puerto Rico hold their business and their own issues there. It was a great room, and so it was great. There was good audience participation also, and very good also I think social media being done by everybody. But Alfredo in particular made pretty good use of Twitter and Storify and other means of just recording the event and the people involved.

In the meeting, we also had people from ICANN. We had the man from North America Stakeholder Relations. He was there, and so it was great. Happy to have helped a little bit there. That's it. Bye.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you again, Javier. That was a really good, solid example of us bringing together a strategy with ARIN. I'd like to turn to Susannah.

SUSANNAH GRAY: Hi, Glenn. Not sure what you want from me.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: You're going to take advantage of the discretionary funds as well for the next year ARIN trip?

SUSANNAH GRAY: Oh, right. Yes. I applied for the discretionary fund to enable the [Board] to attend the ARIN 40 meeting which is a local meeting to us here in San Jose. The meeting itself is free, but I applied for the funding so that people could have their transport costs reimbursed to attend that meeting. And we'll be doing any kind of outreach that we can, and anything else that we need to be doing for At-Large.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Thank you, Susannah. We're going to have a really good contingent. A few people have received the ARIN fellowship as well. Myself, and we also have Nancy Carter. [inaudible] [Montivero] is going as well, and I believe from Native Public Media, also Loris Taylor. So we're going to have a significant number of people at the ARIN meeting, and actually, the first CROP trip is being sponsored for [inaudible] for that event.

Okay, so we have a balance of \$250 left in that discretionary fund. So if there's something local that you want to attend – this is not to substitute for CROP, this is to augment. If you have a local event, please, if Silvia you can put the link in the chat so people can actually read what the guidelines are and how to apply for it. So again, Silvia and Heidi is now responsible for the program. It was last year Joe or Chris doing it. Okay, thanks again. I'm going to move on quickly.

They did an announcement as you recall. NARALO for 10 years were not eligible for ICANN Fellowship program, and last year, one person got it from North America but they were an NCUC member. This year, we did remarkably well.

And on the call today we have Alfredo Calderon, we have Susannah Gray, who are both Fellows for the ICANN meeting. We also have destiny Destiny Tch  houali of ISOC Quebec. He was on the ALS orientation call last week. And Matthew we all know from our GA.

So we have fantastic representation in our community. We have four people who'll be attending. And the other person that I'll be inviting to a call is Geoffrey Blackwell which I'll ask Judith in one minute to talk about the Global Indigenous Fellowship.

But we'll be organizing, and Susannah, I've been getting staff to do the Doodle on the date when we'll have an orientation to help you guys or Fellows on what to expect at an ICANN meeting. So congratulations to all the new Fellows, and please keep an eye on the next round of fellowship that will be in Puerto Rico.

So I'm going to turn to Judith and talk about the item 4.2, the Global Indigenous Fellowship. Judith, can you respond?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. We have two Fellows. We have Geoffrey Blackwell and Ruben Hilare. We have a Global Indigenous mentor of Renata Aquino Ribeiro. She has been having conversations with Ruben Hilare getting him up to speed on some of the issues related to NARALO and At-Large. And she's

also I think setting up a meeting with Jeffrey, so she's been working closely with the two Fellows.

I will also be helping out – because Renata will be missing the first two days because she's going to be representing the indigenous group at the Mozilla Festival, so Matthew and I are going to be working closely with the Fellows the first two days of the conference.

We are getting ready probably in mid-October for opening up for the next round of the fellowship for Puerto Rico. So stay tuned, and we'll send out information regarding that. Is that clear?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes it is. Let's ask if anyone has any question. Anyone have any questions for Judith? I thought somebody was speaking. Again, any questions for Judith on the Global Indigenous Program? Okay, nobody. And looks like in the chat we have Joly asking what he missed. All I can say is a lot.

Okay, moving along, John, are you there?

JOHN MOORE:

Yes, I am.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you.

JOHN MOORE: Actually on a boat in Casco Bay, but anyway.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. John, proceed. Thank you.

JOHN MOORE: Just a brief update. We've had some further comments from Eduardo and then also from Alan, so I think we're now in the position to do a final draft for sending around. If there's a problem, we can bring it up for there, but I think we're in pretty good shape. So I think we should come out with a definite schedule for having a [inaudible] on efforts been circulated and people had a chance to [see it]. So I would certainly want to have this finished in the first couple of weeks of this month. That's what I have to [inaudible].

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Thanks, John. I got a green check from Alan, but Mario, can you mute John's line? Okay. I think we're listening to winds of the hurricanes going through Maine. If anybody knows John, he has a lovely boat. He has [inaudible] location up in Maine, so close to the Canadian border. So thank you, John, for joining us. And it's a little hard to chat, but he's done a phenomenal work. Judith and him have worked a substantial amount of work to try to refine the nature of the Rules of Procedures.

I just have to emphasize we're not going to make this the definitive document like other RALOs have done. This is meant to be clean and short and sweet, and I think they're doing a great job. Any questions on the rules from the community? Jump in, anybody from Adigo. Maybe

Judith, do you have any comments on the rules? Okay. All right, so I'm going to move on in the agenda. I think we're going to wrap up fairly early today.

The next topic is outreach and engagement, and we will not have a face-to-face meeting in ICANN60. ICANN's new rules that unless your RALO is within region, there is no face-to-face meeting as well. I'll ask Silvia. Silvia, will there be an At-Large table to outreach to anyone at the ICANN60 for any outreach and engagement?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes. Absolutely. We will have an outreach table for our community. I am coordinating this with Meetings staff. So I will get back to everyone with more details. As before, we will have primarily people from APRALO who is our host in the booth and the outreach table, but the floor is open to all people from our community. So yes, we will have a nice outreach table. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you, Silvia. A question for you: I know that the cleanup staff was so studious in New Orleans they took our mail cards we had left over. Do we have any mail cards for the ICANN60?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

I will have to check on that, Glenn, in the LA office. I think we still have some boxes there, so I will get back to you on that. Thanks.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Thank you very much.

JOSE DE LA CRUZ: Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes.

JOSE DE LA CRUZ: The ones that were sent down here for ARIN on the Road, maybe if there are some of them, [after you] use that there when you go to ARIN, we can bring them to ICANN. Because there were a few [inaudible]

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. I expect we'll be giving all of those out at the ARIN meeting in early October. I'm sure we won't have any left. So if we're out of stock, I'm just asking Silvia as an action item to reorder new mail cards, because I'm sure we're going to be out of stock on that.

We want to make sure everyone that does CROP trips that they have a good stack of them. We also have an online brochure that we updated, but we did not print it. So that's available to send to any newcomers as well.

Okay. Thank you, Eduardo. Any other questions on outreach and engagement from anyone?

Okay. Moving on, in accord to the CROP – we dropped the second P – our first trip we’ve selected [Yubelkys] as the representative. She did a very good proposal in terms of what she would be doing for outreach. We had two individuals expressing interest on the trip, which is new to us. We haven’t gone through that process before. But we had Eduardo, myself and Judith evaluate both proposals, and we selected based on the merit of the proposal, [Yubelkys’s] proposal. So we’ve responded to William saying I’m sorry, but he could have a chance at the next ARIN meeting in April or May of next year, but the proposal has to be – rather than just a link to our outreach strategy – an actual, concrete strategy for engagement. So, any questions on our selection on the person to go to the ARIN meeting?

Okay, no one, no questions. I’m going to move on the agenda. Eduardo, would you please be able to talk about the NomCom?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

The NomCom just announced the people who were appointed to the ICANN Board, GNSO and ccNSO and ALAC, and I can say that I guess everybody knows that Avri is one of them. And the other one is – I forget her name, it’s somebody who has a lot of experience with ICANN since its inception. Both of the new directors are female, so that will help in the gender balance at the Board. So other than that, the only thing that is missing now is the one for the PTI Board which are going to be announced later. That’s all.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Okay, and for those – remember the last election, Leah will be taking over the reins as our NomCom representative starting at the end of October, so I’m sure Leah can lean on Eduardo on any advice as being the representative for NARALO.

Okay, so moving on to the next item in our agenda is actually an item that is back to action items, and it’s the action items associated with our General Assembly. If you recall, we had that back in New Orleans. I’m going to turn to Silvia to discuss what the action items are.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you, Glenn. I have posted the wiki page with all the action items we recorded at the GA. I have [found] about 30 action items, and one of the columns on the wiki page I [update] the status whether they are completed or ongoing. I don’t know if, Glenn, you want me to go through each of them, or just perhaps highlight a couple of them that I think are important.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Silvia, I think the hot topics are the key thing and that’s something we really want to pick up the ball on. I know that’s a discussion, and as a staff person discussing the same concepts with other RALOs, maybe to share the best practice on what you can recommend, and Alan can as well, where we can actually move this agenda along. So, over to you, Silvia.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Okay. Thank you so much, Glenn. Yes, definitely the hot topics are hot now [inaudible]. AFRALO just created a working group. They identified a number of hot topics in discussions at their GA in Johannesburg, so now AFRALO has started the process with a new Chair. The Chair of the working group is Mohamed El Bashir. And they'll have the first conference call this week.

Also EURALO – they're the first RALO identifying hot topics – have started a review of the hot topics they have already through a discussion on the mailing list. So we have two RALOs that are already discussing. So what I would suggest, if we agree, would be to create our working group and start discussions on these hot topics which were very interesting, and they are posted there on the wiki page.

We had very [responsive] discussions in breakout rooms, if you all recall. So I'm sure that here are many good ideas that we could continue discussion. So if Glenn and everybody agrees, I can set an action item to do a call for membership for the action item working group. That would be my suggestion. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

I think it's an excellent idea, Silvia. Perhaps at this point we can ask anyone who would be interested in participating in that working group or perhaps you can elaborate a little bit first on what the expectations are of that working group so people can realize what they're getting involved with. Okay, Silvia, go ahead.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Okay. Glenn. Basically, the expectations are to continue exploring the issues, identifying what issues are important for NARALO – not all the RALOs have the same interest – and then develop pillars, columns, thematic issues that the RALO can continue exploring and going more in detail on those issues. And that will help you also identify expectations between NARALO members [inaudible] certain topics and they want to continue bringing those topics into a RALO.

So that would be the expectation [as well as] to have a paper, and the paper can be then presented to all the members and for the RALOs, and as well to other communities within ICANN as a product of these discussions. So that would be the expectation.

There's no [inaudible] we can have a long discussion or a small, short discussion. So it's very, very flexible. It depends on the [inaudible]. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you, Silvia. It didn't come through very clear, but as you see in the link to the action items on the GA, under the hot topics section, people identified issues that were hot issues for our community such as privacy, trust, surveillance, net neutrality, digital literacy, universal access, and cybersecurity.

So this working group, we would hope that we could formulate what do we do with these topics? How do we flesh them out? How do we get involved? Getting our members which we surveyed to get more involved, to actually give input into policy issues in ICANN, on these issues and much more.

So I hope that helps a little bit more for people to be involved. So we'll start the group, Silvia, and we'll do an open call for people to get involved. So you're welcome to put your hat into the ring now if you choose to. Okay, Silvia, so we'll just put it as an action item, and we will put a call out to the list and the Skype chat for people that are involved.

Okay, so we're going to move along – and just to let you know, we will not be having a General Assembly separate like we had in New Orleans for a while. Do note that ATLAS III in Japan in [1919] and at that time, we'll be having a NARALO discussion within the ATLAS event. So that'll be coming up in Kobe, Japan in 2019.

Okay, I'm going to move over to Alan if he's got a few minutes to share with us any of the hot policy issues that he'd like to share with us. So Alan, could you take over the duties?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Sure. There's not an awful lot going on right now. There are only three open public comments. One of them might be of interest, and that is the proposed scheduled dates for ICANN meetings for the next several years, 2021 through 2023. So if you're looking for whether they collide with national holidays, religious holidays, your birthday, then that's a good thing to look at.

We may well be putting in a comment as the ALAC, but certainly it's appropriate if you have particular views for individuals to put in comments as well. That one closes on the 1st of October, so there's still a little bit of time.

There's another one on the proposed changes to the NCUC charter, which normally we do not comment on, but it is currently open. And lastly, there is an open public comment on the renewal of the .museum gTLD. Again, we normally do not comment on those unless there's some particular user issue that is identified, and at this point, nothing has been identified. So a moderately quiet time.

And we are of course finalizing the At-Large response to the Board on the At-Large review, which should be out in the next day or two. That's it for me.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Alan –

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thanks, Alan. And I'm glad you – Go ahead, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I just want to ask Alan, when is the Board – once this document is finished, what is the next step? Once we finish putting our comments and we submit them.

ALAN GREENBERG: The Organizational Effectiveness Committee is meeting on the 21st of September, and they will presumably make a decision, perhaps at that meeting, perhaps not. And then whatever they recommend will likely go to the Board. I'm not quite sure at which meeting, probably in an

October meeting. Perhaps wait until Abu Dhabi, but I assume not waiting that long.

That's of course assuming they accept our response. They may well toss our response back at us and say they want additional information or clarity. But assuming they go ahead, then we meet with the OEC on the 21st and the Board meets sometime after that to address the OEC recommendation.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Any other questions for Alan from anyone on Adigo? I see Joly. Go ahead, Joly. Joly, we don't hear you. Go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: His hand is down. Maybe it was an error.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: It is. And I know that Evan did some comments in the announce list above the review itself. I'm just inviting Evan if he wants to talk about the response to the At-Large review. I'm not putting him on the spot, but if he chooses to, I know he was doing some discussion. So, Evan, did you want to say anything?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: No, I'm good. I'm all right with the way things have gone. Thanks.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Thanks. All right, folks. Any other final comments, Any Other Business? Normally we don't have enough time, but looks like we've got a couple of minutes. And I see Joly typing something, so we'll see in a second. Any Other Business anyone?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Can I ask a question?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, please.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: When Alan was talking about the other meetings, I couldn't hear. Did he also mention that we're putting in the comments because some people talk... There were two comments that were listed. I think Beran put in that it was near some Muslim holidays, and I put in that one of them was near also some Jewish holidays. And are we going to note these as comments for the list? I was wondering about what's the process.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yrjö Lansipuro is drafting something. I'm presuming he will draft something for future comment. I think it's unrealistic to presume that there will not be any overlaps. The real question is, can we minimize the

impact on the majority of people and try to avoid the more critical of things?

There are just too many holidays in the world that we will not meet, have any overlaps. So it's really a question of trying to reduce them and not have conflicts on the more offensive of overlaps, as it were, depending on who you are, of course. So we will certainly note those. I would suspect they already know them, but we will certainly note them and do our best. I assume they will do their best. It's not up to us to make the decisions.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Glenn, if I may, one other comment on the At-Large review. I should have started off with it, but I didn't. the feasibility study – which essentially is the response of the At-Large to the Organizational Effectiveness Committee on the review – was approved by the ALAC at its last monthly meeting a week or two ago, and therefore that part of the document is essentially frozen, other than cleaning up and formatting.

We are adding the introductions and annexes and things like that which aren't really the bulk of the comment but have to be filled in, but the response itself has been approved by the ALAC, and that's available if you look at the ALAC agenda with only one very minor change we made during that meeting. So if anyone is interested in seeing what the state was then, they can certainly take a look at it. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you, Alan. Any other questions to Alan? I noticed that Joly has made a comment, and it's in reference to the NCUC and ISOC chapter terms of a charter. And I know that Eduardo was looking at the new charter and there were a bunch of new things that NCUC was bringing in, and I just wanted to ask Eduardo, did you want to jump in and talk about the new charter for NCUC and some of the ideas that we could incorporate into our rules? Go ahead, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. I found some very interesting ideas [that were put in] there. One of them is [creating] a policy, their policy subgroup within the NCUC to have the people who know about policy work on the policy from the NCUC. I like that. So they're creating that group.

And also, they have a funny way of indicating if there is a not-for-profit versus an individual member, and the way they do the votings, they have four votes for one, two votes for the other ones. It's just an interesting algorithm. But I think the way we are set up in NARALO is fair.

And the third thing that – I forgot what the third – there were three things that really picked up my attention. I forgot which one was the third one which I found very interesting. In any case, if I remember, I will send it to the list. But there were three of them, I think.

ALAN GREENBERG: At least some of that is not new. Certainly the voting scheme I don't believe is. One of the problems I have with the NCUC charter is they did

not provide a redline version or a detailed summary of what the changes are, and I find that somewhat problematic.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. Well, it was the first time that [I've read their charter]. So I found it interesting.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. I notice that Dustin's on the line, and I wonder if he has voice. Dustin, are you there?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Glenn, sorry, I remembered the third thing.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ: It's a thing about when people get into the NCUC and suddenly they disappear. They have this algorithm that they're not allowed to vote. They're put in this list that is an inactive, and it will stay there forever. They do not decertify anyone, they just put it there forever as an inactive until they become active again. That was a very interesting idea. We talked about this in the NARALO Rules of Procedures, but it didn't fly. I was convinced that we should not do something like that in NARALO.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Anybody comment on the third item that Eduardo cited?

ALAN GREENBERG: Glenn, I just wanted to say I've got to leave now. I've got another call. So, thank you all. It's a good call.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you, Alan. Okay, folks. We're going to be wrapping up in just one second. I was going to mention Dustin Phillips who's with ISOC Washington, but he's also on the ICANN wiki. We've been working on adding more content on the ICANN wiki page, more events, job opportunities or resources, and we're working through the look and feel of this.

And in addition to that, the Internet Governance Hub which I'm part of with a number of us, we have over 800 members on that, which is growing in terms of information. So we'll be talking about some of these resources on the scheduled Fellow call that we'll be having in a short while. So to Fellows, do expect invite to that call. We'll be setting up that date in early October, probably between the 1st of October and the 15th. I'll be talking to staff about the exact date and the agenda.

So, thank you all for joining us today, and thank you, Joly, for coming in even though a little bit late. But you're always welcome. And again, we'll be chatting to you. Do look for the Doodle. We need you to vote on either Monday or Tuesday of next week. It was a great suggestion by Evan. Please make your selection, and that will determine whether we

have our call as scheduled on the Canadian Thanksgiving which is Monday, or the next day which will be on the Tuesday. So do look for that quick Doodle that'll be coming out very soon.

Okay. Again, thank you all for joining, and we'll talk to you again soon.
Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Glenn.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you. Bye.

MARIO ALEMAN: Thank you, everyone. This call has been adjourned. Please disconnect all remaining lines.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]