

---

GISELLA GRUBER: Recording. Thank you. Welcome. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the ALAC Leadership Team Monthly Call on Wednesday the 16<sup>th</sup> of August at 18:00 UTC.

On today's call, we have Alan Greenberg, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Holly Raiche, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Yrjö Lansipuro, Maureen Hilyard, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Seun Ojedeji.

We have apologies from Julie Hammer, León Sanchez and Silvia Vivanco.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Ariel Liang, Evin Erdogdu, Yesim Nazlar, and myself, Gisella Gruber.

If I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you, and over to you, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much, Gisella. Welcome to the ALT call, the one preceding the next ALAC meeting a week from yesterday. Are there any changes or Any Other Business items on the agenda? Hearing nothing, seeing nothing, I will take the agenda as adopted.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead, Heidi.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, just one point perhaps Any Other Business. Perhaps we can mention any ALAC agenda items for next week.

ALAN GREENBERG: Noted. And, Tijani, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, Alan. I have a remark about the title of this meeting. It is not a mid-monthly call, it is the call preceding the ALAC call as decided in Johannesburg.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Noted. We will not use the same template again next time. Do you have any suggestions of what we should call it? Calling it the call that precedes the call sounds a little bit unwieldy.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, it is simply the monthly call of the ALT.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Noted. I presume staff will note that. Hearing nothing else, we will proceed with the agenda. The agenda is officially 75 minutes long. I would really like to try to keep this meeting under an hour if the discussion and the topics allow.

---

The first item is policy development. There are only two items on the agenda. Ariel, have we done anything about either of these in terms of trying to solicit input, or have we gotten any?

ARIEL LIANG: No, we haven't.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Thank you. The first item is on the ASO final report. This is the review of the ASO. It was done as it happened by two of the same people from ITEMS, that is Tom and Tim who did our review.

I've looked at an early draft. I have not looked at this one. I doubt we are going to have anything to say, but I really think for completeness since we are in the midst of our own review, we should look at it and just confirm that we have nothing to say, either about the ASO review itself or the methodology if we find that similar techniques were used for theirs as for ours. It may not be wise to say anything regardless, but I think we really should have a gander at it, particularly people who have been involved in the At-Large review.

Cheryl, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I was just going to volunteer, Alan. That's all. I've done so many reviews – and not just our own – I'm happy to have a quick run through.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Noted. Thank you very much. Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Thank you, Alan. I have actually looked at it; they make a lot of recommendations. They do what looks like a pretty thorough analysis, but none of their recommendations come close in terms of the degree of change or view that they looked at for the At-Large review, in my opinion.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. I did note in the earlier version I saw, they didn't seem to really grasp the somewhat schizoid relationship between the ASO and the NRO, and the absolute dependent on the RIRs to make their own decisions.

And although it is an ICANN body, it is not an ICANN body like the rest. And it's a problem we're grappling with in one of the accountability Work Stream 2 issues, actually two of them where references to other parts of ICANN do not quite fit for the ASO. So, I think it'd be interesting to see whether this draft is somewhat improved on that. I'm dubious, to be honest, but it'd be interesting.

The second item is a statistical analysis of DNS abuse. It's one of the papers that was requested by the CCT Review Team. I've had a brief look at it. It is really heavy reading. The vast majority of the report is talking about their methodology, and I'm not sure we really have any comments on it as such. But again, it's something that we really should look at.

---

I'll ask Olivier who is one of the people who often looks at DNS abuse issues if you had looked at it and whether you have any thoughts on whether we need to comment. Thanks. Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Alan. I have not read the report yet myself. What I have done though is to forward it to the New gTLD Working Group, and I've had a response from Lutz Donnerhacker – who has read I think part of it – has also forwarded it to Google or to his own Google Plus account asking for input. But I haven't myself looked at it, so I can't really comment. What I can do is to have a look at it, come back to you on this.

ALAN GREENBERG: Please. It is a review that feeds into the CCT review, or rather a report. So, I'm not sure we need to comment on it, other than to say, "Impressive piece of work" or something. And to be honest, I'm not sure of the value of those kind of comments.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's worth noting that there was no response from anyone else on the New gTLD Working Group to the request that I've made.

ALAN GREENBERG: To be honest –

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Because I guess it is – as you said – quite an onerous report, maybe not everyone caught on to it yet.

ALAN GREENBERG: it is, and I won't say I've read it. I skimmed it and I've read a couple of paragraphs, and I've read what we list as conclusions and things like that. So, it's a pretty heavy piece of work, and I think it's interesting, but I'm not sure we really need to comment on it. But thank you for saying you'll take a look at it. And that concludes –

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thanks. And sorry, I haven't put my hand down because I wanted to add one thing though: I do think we need to read this. And if it does show that some significant work is being done to track DNS abuse, it's something that we should salute and encourage.

We have in the past asked ICANN to track DNS abuse and to do all sorts of work to make sure that the end user interests are protected and that abuse is reduced, etc., and there have been several times in the past when some significant portions of the Board and some Board members

---

have said, “Oh, this is outside ICANN’s remit. You’re starting to look at content,” and for all sorts of reasons to dismiss our concerns.

So, if this report does seem to be doing some work that is maybe staff-enabled and that performs some work that certainly helps track this abuse and so on, if at all, we should be supporting it. My feeling. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. My only comment is, yes, that has happened. And yes, I’m sure there are still a few Board members who feel that way, but I think we’re living in a different world right now. The appointment of the Consumer Safeguards Director, the work done by David Conrad’s group where we saw the discussion in Johannesburg on The Tool Formally Known as DART, if I recall correctly, I think we’re living in a different world than we are right now. I think we need to be careful that we’re not just rehashing the old battles but are supportive of what’s going on now. And I sense things have changed. Whether there will be real significant outcomes of those is a different issue altogether.

Olivier, last call.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks, Alan. I think you touched it. Showing our support for what’s going on is important. You always have to remember that things can always backtrack. Change the CEO, backtrack over things. We’ve now seen several CEOs in our lifetime at ICANN with some wonderful new things that were implemented, some of them being good, some of them

---

being bad, who knows. But many of these things being backtracked later on when the CEO leaves and the priorities suddenly change. We never know who is going to be chairing the Board next year. It might be that dynamics change again. So, there's a pendulum swing type thing going on, I think we need to support what's going on when the pendulum swings in the right direction. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: Noted. Tijani, last comment.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Alan, it is not a comment in the subject. I noticed that the Meeting page has been removed now. I don't know who did that.

ALAN GREENBERG: The Meeting page?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I reloaded it, where there is the agenda.

ALAN GREENBERG: Oh, for this?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: And now – yes.



---

ALAN GREENBERG: The Meeting page for this meeting you're talking about?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Exactly.

ALAN GREENBERG: I just loaded it in, it's there and it's now called the monthly call. So, you must have gotten it just at the wrong moment.

Yesim, go ahead, please.

YESIM NAZLAR: Sorry, Alan, I was just going to make an explanation that I was updating the name of the agenda. That's why. So, it should be fine for now. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Noted. Thank you. Tijani, do you still want to speak? You're muted, I'm assuming –

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Old hand, excuse me. Thank you. No.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Thank you very much. Next item on our agenda is updates from liaisons. Are there any liaisons who have anything they feel the need to report at this point?

---

Yrjö, go ahead, please.

YRJÖ LANSIPURO:

Yes, thank you, Alan. In Johannesburg, at the meeting with the GAC when we were sort of discussing what kind of concrete means for the cooperation we could use, I think that, Alan, you mentioned that we could invite people from the GAC to some of the ALAC, At-Large working groups. And of course, the implication was that perhaps GAC would also invite some people from us to their groups. I just wonder whether we have any working groups right now or whether we could – or in the process of setting up something that we could invite the GAC to. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Phrased like a true diplomat, Yrjö. That's Item #7 on our agenda. We'll come back to that. However, the answer is no, we don't have any particularly active working groups that we can invite them to at this point. And that is problematic.

I wonder to what extent do you think we could invite someone to an ALAC meeting to present something. And it's difficult sometimes finding a GAC member who'll present a GAC position as opposed to their personal position, but I wonder if there's anything going on other than the country name issues which I don't think we want to delve into outside of what's going on in the overall ICANN.

---

If you can think of someone or a topic to invite to our meeting, that might be an interesting way to start this off. Clearly not for next week's meeting, but we could certainly do it for September. Go ahead.

YJRÖ LANSIPURO:

Thank you, Alan. I think that on the community-based applications, CBA, we could perhaps do that and invite Mark Carvell from the GAC who is specifically dealing with that issue. But thank you for the idea.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yes, thank you. What do other people think about that? Should we ask Yrjö to discreetly investigate Mark whether he's interested, and whether we think we could do an interesting 20-minute or 25-minute presentation and discussion? I have a speaker queue, but if anyone wants to speak on that, please just go ahead and speak out.

Cheryl say yes. Anyone think it's something we shouldn't do?

Would the Chair also be invited? We could certainly invite the Chair, but I'm not sure the Chair needs to be there. But I don't think we'd do it as a secret and we'd probably tell any other GAC members that if they choose to attend, they may. Certainly out of courtesy, we certainly inform the Chair and say he's welcome.

Maureen, I assume your hand is up for... Cheryl.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

No.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: No what? Someone is saying no.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, I said, do we know who is the Chair of the GAC?

ALAN GREENBERG: We know who the Chair of the GAC is now. We don't know who the Chair of the GAC will be after Abu Dhabi. At least I don't know. Maybe someone else knows. I believe it's still an open race at this point with a number of people running.

Alright, Yrjö, why don't you take that as marching orders and talk to Mark and see if he's interested, and if we can come up with an agenda that sounds like it'd be both interesting to the ALAC and useful to the GAC?

YRJÖ LANSIPURO: Okay. Thank you, Alan. Will do. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Cheryl, you're next.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Alan. And just very briefly, I wanted to update – let me start the sentence again. Our next meeting with the GNSO is at 12:00 UTC on the 24<sup>th</sup> of August, but at this meeting I just wanted to update you

---

following on from the previous update on at least one of the matters which will be a Council vote, and it has to be voted on at this meeting. It has been put off – let me look it up, I think it was literally since Copenhagen. Yes – for finalizing the matters of Cross Community Working Group on Internet Governance.

I have continued to keep Olivier updated as best I can on what is happening, but there will be a vote. Things will go one way or the other on the resolution I mentioned at the last meeting on the 24<sup>th</sup>.

I can't say that I am confident that other than an extension to after, on or about ICANN61 would the GNSO Council probably sit tight on withdrawing this [inaudible] and having the alternate mechanism in place. So, just something that I thought you'd all be interested in.

The only other thing which is only going to take a moment just to – almost just as a foreshadowing, as a listing for discussion on our next call in the Council will be the matter that has come up before that has not had much formal interaction from the Council, and that is the proposal to change the name of the GNSO from Generic Name Support Organization to Global Name Support Organization. That will be something that will be going on the next few months. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

That's what I hadn't heard before. On the first issue of the CCWG Internet Governance, if I remember correctly, the issue is whether they supported as the CCWG or whether they support it in some other form not called a CCWG, but without any question that they support the concept of continuing work in that direction. Is that correct?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alan, it is, yes, vaguely correct. It's slightly more complicated than that. They will not be supporting a CCWG. I do not believe that they will vote in any way, shape or form to continue that. So, the choices are, pull out totally or the current resolution which is up for vote where it says we still support all the working principle, but find another vehicle.

The adjustments that are going on at the moment with that is to give the CCWG-IG until ICANN61 to do so. And whether that gets up or not as an amendment is to be decided.

ALAN GREENBERG: So, it is conceivable they would withdraw support for the concept altogether. But it sounds like you're not really predicting that at this point.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'm not predicting that, unless people get particularly cranky. And that's not impossible.

ALAN GREENBERG: That is indeed. I will note that when we approved the new charter, we approved it as a CCWG or in some other form. So, we'll just sit back and watch how this unfolds.

Olivier... Maureen next.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Alan. Just updating. One of the things that has come through just recently, Cheryl, is the new Work Track 5 which is under the New gTLDs Subsequent Procedures PDP Working Group. And ccNSO has been invited to provide a co-Chair for that, and Annabeth Lange got very strong support. She was the CCWG co-Chair on Use of Country and Territory Names.

And of course, the ccNSO is waiting for feedback on their request to delay their review for a year while they prepare themselves, and no doubt in light of some of their own experiences.

In light of the proposed change of personnel like the liaisons, I think it's important that we actually notify them very soon about a meeting with them. We didn't have one in Johannesburg. So, I know that Alejandra is actually sort of starting work on the schedule already, so we need to [inaudible] it as soon as we can for Abu Dhabi to have a meeting with them. And in light of that too, I've had two people approach me directly about that role.

And finally, [something] interesting, the work that's been going on, the PDP to do with the ccTLD workshop as well. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. In terms of the meeting, we did not do it in light of the fact that it was a very condensed policy form, but I was assuming we would definitely restart the joint meetings with them. So, that's certainly on my horizon. And we'll see where it goes, but I'm assuming we'll find the time in Abu Dhabi to do that.

---

In terms of the liaison, my intent was once the consensus call is finalized to move forward on the liaisons, then I will let Katrina know what the situation is, and probably you and I will send something jointly, both telling her what we plan to be doing and asking for permission for you to introduce anyone who you are looking at as a prospective follower to participate in their activities, much as was done when you became liaison a number of years ago. So, we'll be talking about that as we go forward. We still have another week until the ratification is done, so we have a little bit of time, but not a lot, to do it.

And in terms of the Work Stream 5, we have been invited also and I haven't acted on it, but I'll have to issue a call for interested parties in the very near future.

Anything further, Maureen, or should we go on to Olivier?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. Just remember you're putting with Work Track 5, there are two lots of calls you need to make. You need to ensure that you have ALAC and At-Large people actually involved in the work of Work Stream 5 as soon as it is formed, and so that needs to get out and get prepared.



---

But the request was for August 18 deadline to propose a co-Chair. And if you want to put someone in who doesn't know anything about the history of it, so be it, but I would suggest just saying, "Please come one and all and you can lead this" would be interesting to say the least.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Well, clearly, I've missed the deadline and I'll have to send a note then, if staff can take an action item to apologize and say a name will be forthcoming. The ALAC is fully within its right to select someone who knows nothing about it to be a co-Chair. It's not what I would recommend. Can we leave it at that for the moment?

No comment. Thank you. Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks very much, Alan. And I'm speaking here with my Cross-Community Working Group on Internet Governance co-Chair hat. I wanted to thank Cheryl for having flagged up what was going on in the GNSO Council, and I certainly would like to ask our ccNSO liaisons to also flag up whether there's anything going on in the ccNSO regarding this topic, as unfortunately my two co-Chairs from the ccNSO and the GNSO are not particularly good at letting us know what's going on on their side of things.

I would like to let you know that Rafik Dammak, the co-Chair from the GNSO, is tasked with changing the vehicle or preparing the replacement vehicle for the current one. I think it's been after the meeting that we all had in Johannesburg, it was pretty clear that the vehicle was the

---

problem, the main problem, and that a suitable vehicle should be identified and proposed to replace it.

There are several other issues which were flagged as well. One of them is the issue of communication, and I would like to ask whether it would be possible to have a two-minute slot during the next ALAC call for me to let the ALAC know about this month's activities of the CCWG on Internet Governance as per the requests that were made during the face-to-face meeting in Johannesburg. I would also like to ask our GNSO liaison and ccNSO liaison when their meetings take place whether the two other co-Chairs have asked for such a slot to let the community know what's going on.

That's all. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you, Olivier. Two comments. Number one, I presume that any new vehicle will not be designed solely by Rafik, but there will be involvement from the other parties as well. You don't have to answer that. That wasn't a question, that was an assumption.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

There's a working team that's working on that. I'm just saying he's leading the efforts. But we're all involved in that.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. What you said is he was charged with doing it, not leading the effort. So, thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Apologies for my imprecise [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG: And yes, noted, as an action item we will have a two-minute slot for you to present what's going on. I note that I don't believe you have ever done a presentation in two minutes, so it'll be an interesting challenge. We look forward to it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I was going to say 60 seconds first, then I thought, no. Make it two minutes.

ALAN GREENBERG: We'll give you two minutes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's unfair. My name is already so long. It makes it longer for introductions. Thanks very much.

ALAN GREENBERG: We can talk about hints to keeping presentations short later.

The next item on our agenda – well, sorry. Julie Hammer as you all know is not here. The news from SSAC of course is that Julie has been selected as the incoming Vice Chair effective the beginning of the next calendar

---

year. And that's marvelous news for Julie and for SSAC, I think. And for us, even though we're losing her as liaison.

She will be staying on as liaison until we can replace her. It would be nice if that was done by the end of Abu Dhabi. It may or may not, but she's agreed to stay on. And she's also agreed to work with the Selection Committee if necessary to pick candidates who are likely to succeed.

Next item is At-Large review, and we just had a very successful webinar. Although I was very dubious we can arrange one on such short notice, we arranged one, it went off well, and it was very well attended. Perhaps one of the best attended webinars I've seen, that I can remember anyway. I'm not sure the numbers say that, but certainly I thought it was impressive.

I think our next challenge is to try to figure out how we get to the next step. And the next formal step is the ALAC approval [and] principle next Tuesday. That really means I think we need a document out to them by the very latest end of Friday. And the question is, who does what? Because it's really time to start assigning tasks to make sure this work gets done. I think we need one more pass perhaps on the Google Docs, then an export and cleanup into a Word document so we can get people something to read as they're working at home.

Holly or Cheryl.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: I'll talk briefly but then say, by the way, I will be getting on a plane and not available to do anything for a couple of days. So, just for once [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG: So you're not on the hot spot.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I am not the guinea pig, no. I can't be the guinea pig, sorry. I'm on my way to holidays, which they're not going to be holidays. Just to say – repeating what Alan said – we had a very successful meeting. There are slides which will be available which have divided really the recommendations into three categories: what we reject, what is dependent on either staff funds or staff itself, or both, and then the things we are to be [implementing].

Where we are from now, the next critical date is the 22<sup>nd</sup> of August which is the ALAC meeting, and we need approval in principle with the document. It then goes to the Organizational Effectiveness Committee by the 15<sup>th</sup> of September so that they will have time to review it, and it will be considered at their meeting on the 21<sup>st</sup> of September, and then the document goes to the Board.

It's at that stage once it gets signoff from the Board that we begin work on implementation. So, that's the next phase. I am assuming that everybody on this call has had a long, hard look at the documents, whether in wiki form or the Google Docs, and has already made comments.

---

As said by Alan in the meeting a couple of hours ago, basically, there were a lot of comments. Some of the comments are, while very valuable, will only really be relevant when we come to thinking about how we implement what we said we're going to do. So, those comments have been preserved, and in terms of developing an implementation plan, that's where we will pick those issues up.

And indeed, if you've got any thoughts on implementation, please put them out, recognizing they won't appear in the document that goes to the Board, but they will appear in our implementation plan.

Other than that, I don't have anything further to add. Cheryl, do you have anything further?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Holly, only to respond to Heidi's question. "Will there be another meeting of the working party prior to the ALAC meeting?" The question really is, will there need to be? My personal feeling is to get this document out by end of week.

We really can't afford another meeting, but I think the majority of our working party were in fact – work party representatives, you should know – of course, if you don't know, are predominantly from the regions. And they were well represented in today's webinar.

So, I think we'll e-mail them and get them to have a few hours to do something on the Google Doc. Not expecting a great deal to come in, but what we will need is one very shortly after the ALAC meeting to

---

agree on the [inaudible]. I just don't see it being wedged in. It would be nice to have, but I don't think it's going to be practical to do.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, Cheryl. A question for Ariel first. Who has editing rights to the current Google doc? Not commenting, suggesting, but editing.

ARIEL LIANG: It's Drafting Team, so you, Alan, Cheryl, Holly, Olivier, Maureen –

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Maureen, León.

ARIEL LIANG: Yes.

ALAN GREENBERG: May I suggest – it's very easy when you log on to the Document, you're automatically in editing mode. And therefore, if you make a change – I know I did it a number of times on one of my last passes. I started changing text in editing mode instead of suggesting mode, which means it's invisible to anyone unless they're reading the whole document word by word.

I would really suggest that we restrict editing immediately so that we don't have changes being made that no one has seen and might get in

---

inadvertently. I'm really worried that none of us are going to have the time to read this over very carefully.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alan, Holly and I spent several hours together when Holly and I went through the whole document and accepted or reacted or edited based on every single comment that was in there. The document got seriously cleaned up. And that's what went out. So, I'm not sure that we're losing anything.

ALAN GREENBERG: No, Cheryl, what I'm saying is if I go into it today and make a change and accidentally do it in editing mode, it's not obvious to the rest of us on this final review. I'm just worried about changes that get made by accident, with typos in them or dropping a sentence by accident, and we don't notice it.

I'm not worried about what happened until now. I'm looking going forward the rest of this week.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I would have thought that the Drafting Team had enough now to know the difference between the two, but let's warn them.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Look, I'm just making a suggestion. I know I've done it by mistake. And I think I've caught them all and fixed them and then made them in



---

suggestion mode, but I'm not 100% sure and I'm just a little bit worried about changes.

In any case, regardless of that, I think we need to decide up until when are we still accepting suggestions or comments in the Google Doc, when we export it to a Word document and who is it who works on it for the next day or so to get something ready by Friday.

I have some suggestions I can make if you wish, or I can open up the floor, whichever you prefer.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Let's hear your suggestions.

ALAN GREENBERG: My suggestions are it is now end of Wednesday. We cannot go much farther than end of tomorrow at the very best for any comments, and then we have one day to clean it up. And I would suggest that Maureen and I acted as a team last time to do it. If Maureen has the time, I would suggest that the two of us put together the final document for distribution to the ALAC.

We're not going to keep it secret, but somebody has to actually be charged with doing the work.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes. That's fine, Alan. What I would suggest is then we send our message out to the whole of the working party, giving them some 24

---

hours to make any input, any suggestion. I don't have any choice because I don't have editing mode. Those who are in the Drafting Team will have to exercise self-control and make sure that they are in suggestion mode.

Holly will be on a plane, she won't be a problem. We'll ask the rest of the Drafting Team not to be offended if we suddenly switch them off, but I don't think we'll need to. And I think if you and Maureen can predominantly run the massaging under my tender loving care, that'll work out just fine.

ALAN GREENBERG: Perfect. Maureen, are you available? Have I now committed you when you are actually doing something else?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: She's actually said Yes, Alan. So, you're right.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. Happy to do so. Happy to look at the comments. Okay, we have a plan going forward. Do you want me to send out the message, or someone else, to the working party and ALAC group saying they have 24 hours?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I think Holly can ask staff to do that. It's not an overly complicated e-mail.

ALAN GREENBERG:                    Alright, done. We have an action item. Alright, anything further on the review? We have Olivier's hand up.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:        Yes. Thanks very much, Alan. What I was going to suggest, actually, is to have at the very beginning of the document, on the first page just above "ICANN ALAC At-Large Advisory Committee" 10 words to explain how people can comment on this. Because we've done the webinar today. I know that we've made it quite clear that they should just do it through their representatives on the At-Large Review Working Party. I didn't see all of the members of the At-Large Review Working Party being present, and I'm a little concerned that some stuff might get lost through the cracks somewhere through the floorboards. So, maybe we should just say either e-mail staff or e-mail a specific person, or e-mail your reps or something.

ALAN GREENBERG:                    Feel free to.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:             Yes, we can do that. But the wiki accepts, of course, any comments from anybody anytime anyway. We'll be alerting the working party that they've got the next 24 hours to put any input in, but I'm not sure that there's very much input from the excellent webinar that needs to do that. There's a cross-reference between Rec 12 and another one. It's

---

not a lot to do, and as long as some of the working party members are there, that's fine. I don't know, whatever.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think at this point, it's well under control. I don't think we need to agonize over getting more comments in. We've done our best. I do have some questions, however. There is an executive summary for which there are some notes, but not an executive summary, and there's Section #1 called Overview of Recommendations. I have no clue what that's supposed to be, but it's currently empty.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: The empty one is a separate doc that Holly has undertaken to do a first draft on, and that'll be running in parallel in the next 24 hours as well. But that's with the Drafting Team.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. Fine. And what about the executive summary? We say we're going to do that after the ALAC approval?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: The executive summary is there, the bullet points are there. You want words instead of what's there?

ALAN GREENBERG: There are bullet points, but some of them are comments, instructions to us, it's not an executive summary.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I think we tidied that up already, but we'll check that we have. As far as I'm concerned, we had, but we'll double check. If nothing else, then –

HOLLY RAICHE: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead, Holly.

HOLLY RAICHE: Look, I will have landed by that time, and since we need a summary only after everything's in place, and dot points are there. It's not going to take very much time, and I'm happy to do it, to turn what is dot points into prose. As long as people are comfortable with the outline, I'm happy to do it.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Oh, for God's sake, don't do prose. Please.

ALAN GREENBERG: Holly, that's fine. I just wanted to be clear who's going to do what.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alan and Holly, the last thing we need is more freaking prose in this document. I think the executive summary is fine. There's a bunch of dot points, get over yourself.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, Cheryl, but there's nothing –

HOLLY RAICHE: Cheryl, I'll add some sentences, okay?

ALAN GREENBERG: If nothing else, some of them are wrong right now. I just want to make sure either we are deferring it until after ALAC approval, or it's assigned to someone before ALAC approval. I don't care which.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alan, I assume you'll be making comments in suggestion mode as you go through the next 24 hours. Make sure you pick them all up, and we'll act on them.

ALAN GREENBERG: And I already have. Thank you. Olivier and then Holly, and we have Heidi and Ariel. We really need to go on, so very quickly. Olivier, Holly, Ariel, Heidi.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Alan. A quick question to Holly, actually. I recall a few days ago she mentioned she had not put some text in the main document. She put some text on the scratch pad. And I've been looking at the scratch pad. I can't quite find where that text is, and if she indeed has kept it there or moved it into the main document.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm assuming it's all moved into the main document.

HOLLY RAICHE: Alan is correct. I used that for my own notes, and then when Cheryl and I reviewed the document, those notes came into the document that everybody looks at.

ALAN GREENBERG: Therefore we don't need to further discuss it. Ariel.

HOLLY RAICHE: No, that's fine. Thank you for noticing it, Olivier.

ARIEL LIANG: Thanks, Alan. Just a quick, straight question for that message that I will draft to send to working party and ALAC leaders, RALO leaders and others. First, the time, should I send it ASAP after the call? Or you will give me a notification [inaudible].

---

ALAN GREENBERG: You should send it ASAP after the call. It should go to the working party 2017 list – or whatever the name is, something similar to that – which is the working party plus the ALAC, and say they have 24 hours from the time of that message to make any further comments in the Google Doc.

ARIEL LIANG: And the second question is, should I give back people the commenting right? I just want to clarify that, or still make it view only [inaudible] for the Google Doc?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, they should have commenting rights at this point.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay. The third question is, do I need to do anything with the wiki space or leave it as [inaudible]

ALAN GREENBERG: No, too late to do the wiki. We're not going to scan the wiki and incorporate. We don't have the time for that now.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay, great. I'll draft that note and send it to you for review before I send it out.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thanks.



ARIEL LIANG: Or do you trust me to send it out?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Heidi, please look at it. I'm going to be gone right after this meeting for about an hour and a half.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay. I will do that ASAP.

ALAN GREENBERG: 24 hours from the time of the message to make any further comments on the Google Doc.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay, got it. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, just really quickly, just to clarify for the call next week after the ALAC call. Is that a working party call, or is that a subgroup call?

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I suggest it's probably worthwhile being a working party call, because it'll allow a point of consolidation, and not being predominantly RALO, so I'll need to know and get feedback from whatever happened from the ALAC meeting anyway.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Perfect. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. Next agenda item is transitions. It's not a large item. Every year we do a transition from one ALAC to the next and one ALT to the next. We regularly forget about things, and I would like staff to start putting together a list of to-dos identifying when they have to be done. This includes updating mailing lists, removing people.

Most people are already added if they're new people, but removing people from the applicable lists, identifying all of the subcommittees and working groups that we need to appoint new people to. And there's a fair number of them.

And I don't know what else. I'm raising it at this agenda that if anyone remembers anything else that has to be done because of the transitioning of various groups, please make sure that either I or staff – preferably staff – is aware of them so we can include it to the entire list of things that will have to be done just at or after the transition. I see two hands, Olivier and Tijani.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Alan. I was going to just ask, when are the transitions of the liaisons expected to take place? I've heard that question being asked a number of times now. And of course, we know that there's going to be a renewal, but then when do you expect the thing afterwards [inaudible]

ALAN GREENBERG: You're talking about ccNSO and SSAC?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Correct.

ALAN GREENBERG: ccNSO, we are optimistic that it will be done well before the end of the calendar year and hopefully sooner rather than later. As best we can, we have to put together a list of criteria, and I'll be working with staff on that. It's a little bit difficult because the SSAC uses as its measure a relatively comprehensive skills survey, and at this point they are not willing to share the skill survey. Unless you say you are an applicant and they'll send you a copy, it's not a public document.

I have asked, and the answer was the current SSAC Chair believes they should discuss it as a group before releasing it. We may or may not have it in time to do the call. So, we have to give people some idea of what the criteria is. Julie has asked that we not do more than two candidates. Therefore, there may be a selection committee meeting required to select them. She feels it's too much of an onerous task to ask people to

---

complete the survey and then ask the SSAC to evaluate them if we have a larger number.

And then, of course once we make our selection, the SSAC has to go through its formal process within its Membership Committee and then the SSAC itself. So, we don't know how quickly that'll be done. It'd be nice if it was done by Abu Dhabi. It may not be.

In terms of Maureen, I'll let Maureen speak, but we certainly will not have anyone in place in the next month or two. I am expecting that it be no less than after the March meeting of next year that it will take effect, and it may well take longer than that.

We do have an issue of travel funds and things like that, that it's going to be difficult, if there's more than one candidate, even getting them to the meeting. We do have one slot because we have Maureen's slot which she isn't using as an ALAC member, but it is somewhat problematic. So, I'm hoping that goes sooner rather than later, but I'm not in a position to really say how quickly it'll go. Maureen, maybe you'll have a couple of words on that.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Alan. Yes, as I mentioned, I have had discussions with two people, and there may be others. I think that once the applications come in, when a call is made for anyone else who might be interested, it would be interesting to sort of see how that turns out. But yes, this is [inaudible] to be a little bit of a realization about the way that the ccNSO works, and we'll just see who actually does make an application. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, thank you. Is it realistic to say we expect the person to be in place somewhere roughly in the middle of the ICANN year?

MAUREEN HILYARD: I think that that's realistic, yes. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Whether we make it or not remains to be seen. But that certainly was my target. And I'm glad you support that.

We have Tijani, Heidi and Olivier.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, Alan. You mentioned among the actions to be done for the transition adding people to working groups. I proposed before, and I repeat that today, that I propose that all the working groups have to make a call for confirmation of the members and new members each year at the end of the AGM.

This is a good practice because we have some working groups that are always the same, and there are people on the list who never come. They gave up. And people are coming like this. Why not make it formal procedure to make a call for membership, and confirmation of the old members every year?

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Tijani, I believe –

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: And also... Yes, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: Tijani, I believe you've just made a suggestion, and I asked people to contribute suggestions. So, that's now made. Consider it done.

What I was talking about when I was talking about reconstituting working groups and subcommittees was particularly those people who are appointed by the ALAC or by the RALOs on an annual basis to make sure we actually do it. But I have no problem whatsoever of having people reconfirm their interest in a working group if they're there just as a participant. No argument at all. Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Alan. Did I hear correctly with regards to the ccNSO, are we expecting a profile, the type of profile for the ideal candidates, or are we not?

ALAN GREENBERG: We are.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Oh, we are. Okay. All right. [inaudible]

---

ALAN GREENBERG: If you're saying... As Cheryl alluded to for another position before, "Are we simply going to do a call saying, 'Anyone interested, put your hand up,'" we're going to do a little bit more than that. We're going to attempt to identify the characteristics we're looking for. I have no illusion that the people who apply will have them. I live in a real world where the applications we got for additional travelers for ICANN60, some of them included their name. That's it. So, I have no illusions people will follow our instructions. Will we try to look for people with better qualifications than just having a name? Yes, we will.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks. And I was just going to ask, as in perhaps having the profile type of candidate that would be needed. So, not just saying, "Please apply and say what you can do," but actually say, "Look, if you don't have this type of profile, don't even bother applying."

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes. We don't want to be too restrictive. Maureen, I don't believe had any ccTLD experience before she started working with Cheryl on this, so I think we ought to be a little bit careful that we're not too elitist, but it will go to the Selection Committee with Maureen's support, assuming we have more than one or two candidates. So, rest assured.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alan?

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Just so nobody who's listening to this labors under any erroneous assumptions, Maureen may not have operated and served as a director of a ccTLD operation, but she had been intimately involved, and closely – very effective in government and cc operations within her country and within her region. So, not your average brown duck being dragged was being out of the water and stuck on the wall.

ALAN GREENBERG: Nor was I implying that, but thank you for the qualification.

Heidi, you had your hand up but it's no longer up. Did you want to say anything?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, just as I noted in the chat, just a comment on the transition. I'll be reaching out to the RALO Chairs confirming that they do want any new Chairs, any incoming Chairs to be included in the [inaudible] during ICANN60, etc.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's fine. There's only one new Chair coming on.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Two, AFRALO and NARALO.



ALAN GREENBERG:

Oh that's true. AFRALO. I'm sorry. My apologies. Anything else on this subject? This was not meant to be an exhaustive discussion, other than we're going to try and get our act together and not forget about things this time.

Next item, At-Large Working Groups. A very short item again, this is not an in-depth discussion. Number one, as a result of answering some of the issues in the At-Large review, a number of things have become obvious.

Number one, we have a long laundry list of working groups and committees. We have a discreet little lock besides some of them saying, "You're not welcome to participate." I think we want to characterize and identify groups separately to set expectations. That's number one.

Number two, it also became obvious that the workspaces for these working groups are in – and I will use strong language – abysmal state for many of them partly because some of them have not been active for years, but even the active ones, the workspaces are embarrassing, to be quite blunt. So, I've asked staff to start working on that, to start cleaning it up.

We then have the issue of at the very least getting the gTLD and registration issues working groups alive again. We've tried a number of methods. So far, we have not succeeded. We do not have an active Chair for any of them. Perhaps we can convince [Evan] to do one of those, but since he seems to be interested in getting more active again. But I'm really worried about how we go forward.

---

---

We were thinking about putting out a call for members, but I'm worried what happens if we have those members and then no one is willing to step up and lead it who is semi-knowledgeable. So, if anyone has any input, this is not an opportunity to discuss it in-depth at this call, but we really need to think about how to go forward. And if anyone has any bright ideas, please come forward.

Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks very much, Alan. Just a quick thing. First, I think that a benchmark or a good practice on how to run a working group in a nice way can be found in the working groups run by Dev Anand Teelucksingh. He's got monthly updates on the wiki, etc. It's quite easy to navigate pages, etc. And we might wish to establish some guidelines as to how to run a working group and give an example for any potential Chair of the amount of work needed and the level of quality that would be the minimum level of quality for it. It would be good to point at Dev's groups.

The other thing I wanted to ask was with regards to the new gTLD working group. I still remember that Seun had stepped forward, and I was supposed to help him run it, but then I saw nothing come out of that, and then – was it John Laprise stepped forward. What happened to these initiatives? Did they not actually pursue it?

---

ALAN GREENBERG: We have discussed that at previous meetings, Olivier, John and Seun did volunteer. With John, because of connectivity issues, Seun was not in a position to necessarily lead meetings, but was willing to work [to audit]. Neither of them have a lot of experience in gTLD issues. Both of them were subscribed to the gTLD Working Group, the PDP Working Group.

John withdrew his offer shortly thereafter, and this group was informed of that. And Seun indicated although he was willing to continue, his time was really constrained, and perhaps we should find someone else to look at that. And that's where it stands right now.

Go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So if I may ask then, of your remaining ALAC members who have now spent, for the more recent ones, one year on the ALAC, would it be the time of transition for you to actually put pressure and basically start asking for some who have not been chairing groups or doing much to pull their weight and consider seriously – as in consider seriously – to start running a working group?

ALAN GREENBERG: When I thought this item was going to have more time associated with it than we have today, I started preparing a display of who in At-Large is active in the PDPs, the RDS PDP and the new gTLD process PDP. The number of people who actually are members and show up is very small.

We can look at the numbers another time. I don't really want to belabor the point right now. One of our main issues is we do not have people

---

active in these groups. We have two or three people active in the RDS one, we have two people active in the GNSO PDP, the gTLD, and actually only one since Cheryl was officially listed as NCSG in those attendance lists.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That was supposed to be rectified. I am supposed to be in both of those.

ALAN GREENBERG: I know. But it's not yet. You may want to point it out to them. That was not a serious complaint, that was just a comment. We don't have an awful lot of people, and putting someone in as a Chair who clearly seems to have no interest, I'm not sure how productive it is. But Olivier, it's something we can further discuss privately. Or anyone else who would like to be on the discussion, please let me know. It's a problem and it's one we're going to have to address. I don't quite know how.

Next item is on working groups, on a specific two working groups, on Outreach and Engagement and CROP. As you all know, we have had some level of dissatisfaction in both of those cases for different reasons. Part of the problem will be addressed certainly for Outreach and Engagement because of the transition issue I mentioned that we will make sure this coming year that the RALOs do appoint people as their representative, and that they know they are appointing them as their representatives. That has not happened consistently in the past.

There has been a question of dissention within the CROP Review Team, and I attempted to put together a plan to start a discussion on, number

---

one, whether we need the CROP Review Team, and if so, what its mandate should be.

I sent out a private message to Dev. That got distributed, which then got posted to the CROP Review Team mailing list, and a Google Doc created including my private message. I think I'm going to try to restart that process, because it seems to have died down – there was a flurry of e-mails for a day or two – and try to restart it in a more orderly manner.

It is a decision of the ALAC, not of the CROP Review Team, whether it should exist or not and what its mandate should be. So, I'm going to try and refocus that in the proper place. But both of those groups are in flux right now, and I just want to make sure everyone's aware of it.

The next item on the agenda is ICANN60, and I'll turn it over to Gisella, Heidi, who's handling this?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Gisella will be handling this.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Thank you, Alan. Thank you, Heidi. Let me just get the block schedule up for you on the screen. There we go. It's not going to take that long as we don't have that much of an update as it stands now. I've just put the ICANN60 block schedule up for you. I hope you have sync right.

This is still work in progress and hasn't been finalized. We're just waiting to make sure that we have all the topics and that they are on the

---

correct days. Alan, I'm not sure if you have any more of an update on that.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I do not. There have been some e-mails. To be honest, I just haven't had time to look at them. So, there may well be an update. I don't have it right now.

GISELLA GRUBER:

But just to say that this is a latest one that we do have, please don't take it as set in stone, and we will be working our schedule around this one. Put together a few elements for the At-Large schedule but don't have anything to show you yet. León Sanchez will be joining the Scheduling Committee again this year, and we'll be starting hopefully a call as soon as next week to get the schedule on track.

What we're going to do again is send out a survey which will cover the topics that the At-Large members wish to discuss as well as the groups and staff we wish to meet with. We've been doing this for the past few meetings. We'll send a draft to Alan shortly, and hopefully that will go out before the end of this week.

Then we have the APRALO GA if we would like – sorry, I'm just checking on the agenda which would be next item. Sorry, the development sessions. I'll hand that over to Heidi.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you, Gisella. During our regional leadership call yesterday, we talked about the RALO development session. That basically I think is going to be under – we have a draft, I think, for the main topics, and we will discuss it more in September.

For the ALAC session, Cheryl, I know that you and I are going to be working on that. So if we could move that forward, perhaps in the next couple of weeks. I'm still waiting to get a call in with possible facilitators. And I will have more news for you hopefully in a week or so. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Thank you, Heidi. Third on the agenda is the preview of the APRALO GA. As it stands now, we've got – and I will hand it over to Holly – from Saturday to Tuesday, we will have capacity building sessions running over lunchtime. They will be 60-minute sessions. On the Wednesday, a 2.5-hour General Assembly which will be held in two parts. That evening, a showcase, and on Thursday, a 60-minute General Assembly debrief which will cover the activities of the week.

Everything is still in discussion. Several organizing committees have been – little subcommittees have been created to work on the various points of the General Assembly to include the showcase, the capacity building sessions, the financial aspect of the General Assembly, etc.

And Holly, if you'd like to say a few more words.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Yes, on the capacity building, in the meeting where we last were, we had a talk. There are four lunchtime sessions, and we did something

---

similar in Hyderabad which worked very well. The first will be very much an introduction to ICANN to ALAC to some structures to the – basically housekeeping. Who we are, what we are, how you participate, and so forth.

We then send out a survey asking all of the people who will be involved in the capacity building as to the topics they'd like, and selected – one will be a technical topic, and I'm going to have somebody from the SSAC, the topic that most interested people from the survey was on the dark web.

I've heard Dave Piscitello who's with the consultant to the SSAC – Gisella, if you can send to me the date and time, I can send him a request to participate soon. I know if we can't do him, there are a couple of other people I've got in mind.

The other that was selected by the survey was really an overview of Internet governance. I will be giving that.

And the final session is going to be a bit more free. This was tried in the AFRALO General Assembly. It seemed to work very well. It's where there's a much more free flowing discussion about the topics that people are interested in, and about generally discussion of involvement policy issues. And that was suggested by Heidi. It sounds like a good idea, so that's sort of what I'll be organizing for the four capacity building sessions in Abu Dhabi. Thank you.



---

ALAN GREENBERG: Question, Holly. Is the dark web session something that is really ICANN-related in your mind, or just of general interest that you think will keep people interested in not going on a tour?

HOLLY RAICHE: General. It was suggested. We said, “What do you want to know about?” We selected or listed some technical issues, and this is what they came up with. When Dave Piscitello does it, he does relate it back to ICANN.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. I’m not against doing things outside of ICANN’s remit as long as we’re really clear that we’re not necessarily enlarging the scope, but these meetings are of interest to you. You will recall we did one on connectivity with Göran at the last meeting.

HOLLY RAICHE: Oh, yes.

ALAN GREENBERG: I’m certainly not against it.

HOLLY RAICHE: Apparently, he got some flak for that. Yes, this one is dark web, and then –

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Who got flak for that?

HOLLY RAICHE: He did, apparently.

ALAN GREENBERG: I didn't hear any.

HOLLY RAICHE: No, it would have been addressed to him.

ALAN GREENBERG: Oh, he did. Okay, he's a big guy, he can handle it.

HOLLY RAICHE: That's right. Yes, the other one, Internet governance, clearly it's putting ICANN very much within a larger picture of where we fit and so forth. So, that will be much more related to ICANN as part of the Internet governance structure.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Alan. I just wanted to raise that what Gisella mentioned, we do have our working group, and Liana is in charge of outreach. One of

---

the things that we were considering was trying to find out what other sections of ICANN are doing in the area of outreach for Abu Dhabi. So, we're just sort of hoping that we can... people are going to contact us and let us know so that we're not reinventing the wheel. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Back to you, Holly or Gisella.

HOLLY RAICHE: Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry. Just trying to unmute. Sorry about that. [inaudible] the block schedule up again, but the next point is social events. As it stands now, we have the gala evening on Monday. Further details yet to be communicated by the Meetings Team and the host.

On Tuesday, we have Steve Crocker's farewell. On Wednesday, we are planning to have the showcase. On Thursday, there may be an APRALO General Assembly dinner for the ALSes also in progress. And on Friday, we've got the farewell cocktail.

That is what we have on the block schedule, but I do recall from a previous meeting that the wrap-up cocktail was actually moved to the Thursday, only because of the nature of the Friday meetings where people were already leaving, which reduced the number of people attending the wrap-up cocktail.

---

One of the questions I have – and that we usually ask – is whether we would like to have an ALAC dinner. And also which we weren't able to do for the previous meeting was whether you would like to have an ALT prep meeting. Again, it may be difficult to schedule this. We're not sure what the other groups are doing yet, but either a breakfast on Saturday morning depending on what time we can start that day, so that is out for comment, please. Thank you for your [thought].

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you, Gisella. I would definitely like to have an ALT prep meeting. I would definitely like to have an ALT dinner. Those might be the same or might be different. Last time around, we were simply told when other meetings were and it became impossible. So, it's a little bit difficult until Göran schedules his Chairs meeting and any other events get scheduled, but I would certainly like to if at all possible. Unless no one else wants to come, in which case, no.

Whether we do a dinner on a "pay yourself, come if you wish" dinner on Thursday night, those have been reasonably successful recently. I would certainly at least ask people whether they want to or not, unless we know that night is already occupied by something else.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Alan, the only other thing that may be on that evening is APRALO ALSes, which would only be for the APRALO ALSes in any case. And that's what we had in Johannesburg, is that we have two dinners running in parallel. One was the ALAC wider diner, not only for the ALAC, and then we also had the AFRALO ALS dinner. So, that worked quite well.

ALAN GREENBERG: I thought that worked out very well last time, with the exception of one person who came to the wrong dinner. But other than that... Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. It was really early my time this morning when we had the call, but Gisella, I thought Satish and Ali said that they wanted to invite the ALAC to the dinner, and as well as some others, like the CEO, etc. Because they mentioned it between 80 and 90 people for that dinner.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's fine. We can live with that too.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry. Yes, Heidi, it wasn't early my time at all. It was sick child moment. Absolutely. So, it would be for the Thursday evening, which would work well, but then it would probably be selected, and not on invitation, but definitely a guest list.

ALAN GREENBERG: But are you saying a guest list which would exclude some of the people we bring to our meetings normally?

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: No. My notes are they have – it was 42 ALSes in addition to the other APRALO leadership, then the full ALAC, plus VIPs as my notes say.

ALAN GREENBERG: I presume the other RALO leaders also.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Oh, yes.

ALAN GREENBERG: We come as a group. You can't separate us.

HEIDI ULLRICH: It was a total of 80 to 90 people, so yes. 25 plus the –

ALAN GREENBERG: Fine.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: That gets challenging to arrange a venue for that, but –

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, they're looking into that. It'll likely be outside the venue.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, I'm sorry, I meant a location. I wasn't commenting on whether it was in the venue or not.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes.

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright. I'll leave it in your hands until I hear something that needs my involvement.

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes. Sorry, coming back to ICANN60 then, overview of travel and logistics, I don't have anything more to communicate at this stage except that the travel list has been submitted. Some of you may already have received your invitation e-mails from Constituency Travel, and we will be having a call with Meetings Team, likely first week of September, just to run through the hotels, the proximity, etc.

And as soon as we have details, we'll forward them to you. Thank you. That's all from my side.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Heidi, is your hand up on something other than travel dates?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No. It's an old hand.

---

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. The ALT also received a message from me yesterday – I think it was yesterday – pointing out that although your invitation probably said you have to leave on Saturday, it should be saying you are allowed to leave on Sunday.

I would appreciate as people make their arrangements – this is for the incoming ALT – that people let me know and let staff know what is being arranged and how many of you will need the extension to Sunday.

We did make the request saying some people may need Sunday, and it would be on a needs basis. For the last meeting, I don't believe anyone had to stay over, but everyone was able to leave that same day.

I'd like to be able to track it. It's really an issue of doing this in good faith that they're giving us a certain amount of trust, and I think we need to return it. So, I would like to be updated as people look at their travel arrangements.

In my case, I'm looking at a 2:00 or 3:00 a.m. departure, and I hope to be able to keep a hotel room into the evening so I can at least take a shower. But other than that, I will plan to be leaving on technically Sunday, but Saturday night.

But if other people can look at their plans and let us know how it goes. But I'm assuming, Gisella, you are making arrangements with Constituency Travel that we will allow people to depart on Sunday if necessary for their schedule.



---

GISELLA GRUBER: Alan, yes, confirmed. Notes have been put in for all incoming ALT.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. And that includes, of course, the incoming or liaisons who are probably all the same. We may have a new SSAC liaison by then, and if so, we'll have to deal with it as necessary. And the two past Chairs who are also included in the Saturday morning meeting, if you are available, of course.

Anything else on travel issues or logistics that needs to be raised? Hotel will have a courtesy suite. That's interesting. I'm not sure what that means.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: it should say "suite." And if my abominable autocorrect would learn how I like things, it would be better. But the hotel will probably have a courtesy suite.

ALAN GREENBERG: To take a shower before departing, you're referring to? I have never known a hotel or ICANN to do that.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ICANN never does. You've got to be joking, that would be taking care of one's volunteers. Why on Earth would one do that? You can have a corner suite for the possibility that executive may meet in the name of

---

JJ. That's entirely different. And yes, it's for the record. But many hotels do.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. Anything else? That was the last item on our agenda. We had an Any Other Business issue of if anyone has suggestions for the ALAC agenda. We will be putting it together over the next few days. If you would like to see anything on the agenda, please let me or Heidi know – preferably Heidi – but we will be trying to keep the agenda really clean to allow a fair amount of time for the discussion on the At-Large review. And if indeed that goes over quickly, then it will be a short meeting. But we do not want to be in a position where we're cutting that discussion short and run out of time.

Anything further on this meeting? We didn't make my 60-minute limit. We're barely going to make my 90-minute real limit, but I open the floor to anyone else with any comments. Seeing none, I want to note that we have had on this call – Seun I believe is on the bridge, and Bartlett has been on the Adobe Connect. In fact, at one point Bartlett was there twice. So, we welcome you both to the meeting, and look forward to the interesting year coming forward.

Any other comments? Hearing none, seeing none –

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Alan.

---

HOLLY RAICHE: Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you all for participating, and a good meeting, and we'll be seeing you next week at the ALAC meeting, if not before. Bye-bye.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Bye. Thank you.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Bye.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, everyone. The meeting has been adjourned, and the audio will now be disconnected. Thank you for joining today's call, and enjoy the rest of your morning, evening, or afternoon. Bye-bye.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**